watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was it offside?

Started by Jim©, January 24, 2021, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim©

In thr first half when we scored, BDR cut the ball back and it looped off Burnley players leg and we then scored.
I thought you could only be offside from a forward pass? It was clear that BDR played the ball backwards. Think that's what Scott was moaning about with ref...

andyk

I think there was a goal disallowed earlier in the season, when the ball was knocked backwards and an offside player moved to play the ball.
Slightly different this time because it was the Burnley player who played it first. But if it was not a deliberate movement or controlled play, it can still be offside. 

colinwhite

Jim,the current state of the offside rule/s is a joke ,flagging after the balls in the back of the net ,and taking interfereing with play to a new level of absurdity. Who are the people who made these rules up ,they are not football people thats for sure and it ruining the game.

Jim©

It maklde no sense at all, it's an impossibility to be offside if the ball is played backwards. Hence the fact the Burnley player was the only one to play it forwards makes me think it should have stood.

Motspur Park

Quote from: colinwhite on January 24, 2021, 05:33:32 PM
Jim,the current state of the offside rule/s is a joke ,flagging after the balls in the back of the net ,and taking interfereing with play to a new level of absurdity. Who are the people who made these rules up ,they are not football people thats for sure and it ruining the game.
This is precisely the point. The linesman doesn't flag any more so an offside goes unpunished and the attacking team end up with a corner which isn't given because of the directive given to officials. It shouldn't need to result in a goal for var to review and then give said infringement.

Motspur Park

Quote from: Jim© on January 24, 2021, 05:38:00 PM
It maklde no sense at all, it's an impossibility to be offside if the ball is played backwards. Hence the fact the Burnley player was the only one to play it forwards makes me think it should have stood.
Don't think you are right on this. The phrase about the ball being played backwards used to be written into the laws of the game but if you look at law 11 there is now no reference to a ball being played backwards.

Jim©

Yeah, I just had a look but it would mean that players are offside all the time in reality. Crazy rule imo

winterline

A backwards pass and a deflection that goes back are different, it was offside cause it was not a back pass.

Motspur Park

Quote from: Jim© on January 24, 2021, 05:45:29 PM
Yeah, I just had a look but it would mean that players are offside all the time in reality. Crazy rule imo
Yep... that's the joke. Players are often offside but not given because they don't touch the ball before getting back onside. The rule was absolutely fine as it was but now fans and pros alike don't know the precise interpretation of the law.

Tempest

So was not Rodriguez goal not offside? Vydra in front of him was but missed the cross and he knocked it in, surely Vydra is interfering?

Anyway, not that it matters of course, we wouldn't win that game if we played for a year

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Motspur Park

I don't think interfering comes into it these days unless the offside player causes the keeper to be unsighted.

Jim©

Quote from: winterline on January 24, 2021, 05:45:53 PM
A backwards pass and a deflection that goes back are different, it was offside cause it was not a back pass.

Not sure that's true, you can't be offside from an opponents pass/touch unless you were offside when your team plays it in the first instance (which we can't have been as it went back)?

Southcoastffc

Man city v Villa recently, citeh offside player tackles Mings, goal given. Right or wrong? Who knows, but goal was given. Nonsense abounds.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Bill2

Quote from: Tempest on January 24, 2021, 05:52:34 PM
So was not Rodriguez goal not offside? Vydra in front of him was but missed the cross and he knocked it in, surely Vydra is interfering?

Anyway, not that it matters of course, we wouldn't win that game if we played for a year

Vydra went for the ball and by vortue of making an attempt should have been offside and the the penalty, soft is not the term I would use in fact not even sure it was a penalty.

filham

Quote from: Motspur Park on January 24, 2021, 05:42:29 PM
Quote from: Jim© on January 24, 2021, 05:38:00 PM
Don't think you are right on this. The phrase about the ball being played backwards used to be written into the laws of the game but if you look at law 11 there is now no reference to a ball being played backwards.
Are you therefore suggesting therfore that players could be offside from a corner kick.

If so then perhaps we should stand all of our players on the halfway line to defend the next corner we conceive.

Of course offside can only occur from a forward pass.

Motspur Park

No, you cannot be offside from a corner kick or throw in, which is in Law 11.... and you are wrong about only being offside from a forward pass.

alfie

Quote from: Bill2 on January 24, 2021, 06:22:57 PM
Quote from: Tempest on January 24, 2021, 05:52:34 PM

Vydra went for the ball and by vortue of making an attempt should have been offside and the the penalty, soft is not the term I would use in fact not even sure it was a penalty.
He didn't actually go for the ball he was clearly in an offside position, but when the ball came in he ducked, so technically he didn't go for it, but in my view the fact he was there that close to the goal, the keeper didn't know he was not going for it, so must have been a distraction.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Jim©

Quote from: Motspur Park on January 24, 2021, 07:36:16 PM
No, you cannot be offside from a corner kick or throw in, which is in Law 11.... and you are wrong about only being offside from a forward pass.

Or a placed goal kick but i still cannot understand thr offside from backward pass. Makes no logicalnsense
Played the game for 25 plus years, a few at a good level and seemingly no one knows this rule?

Motspur Park

Quote from: Jim© on January 24, 2021, 08:55:54 PM
Quote from: Motspur Park on January 24, 2021, 07:36:16 PM

Or a placed goal kick but i still cannot understand thr offside from backward pass. Makes no logicalnsense
Played the game for 25 plus years, a few at a good level and seemingly no one knows this rule?

I don't disagree with you about it making no sense, but the law has definitely erased all reference to passing backwards, which means if the ball is played back and the forward receives it after coming back from an offside position, it is offside.

Black, White and Fred

What about him only becoming active after the burnley player makes a block, is making a block not an attempt to play the ball? Genuine question
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996