watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next two games

Started by JoeS, January 25, 2021, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeS

So the time has finally come for arguably our most important run of the season. The next seven fixtures offer a big opportunity for points which we simply must take. Newcastle are in my eyes the team to catch and we need to close the 7 point gap between us as soon as possible (and take advantage of our game in hand too).

I think we need to aim for maximum points in our next two games, but would accept a 4 point return as long as the win comes against Brighton. If we win we are two points behind them with a game in hand, putting survival back in our hands ahead of a favourable run. However if we lose we will be 8 points behind them and a worse goal difference. Very nervous for Wednesday night.

FFC1987

Yep. We lose to Brighton and for me, it's largely all over.

junior white

Need a minimum of 4 points from the 2 games for me

MisfitKid

I think we must win both... We need 6 points minimum for momentum.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

FFC In Oz

I hope that Scott shows a bit more bravery with his team selection.

The 5-2-3/5-3-2 formation we've been playing has been effective against the better sides, but we shouldn't be treating Brighton & WBA with the same level of respect.  We need to take the game to them and show some initiative.

filham

We really need to do something different in attack to get away from this goal drought.
Hope to see better use being made of Mitro and Kamara.

hovewhite

4 points at least with our game in hand anything less we're gone.

Whitesideup

Brighton are a much better team than their position and points total suggests. We cannot go into the game under-estimating their threat, so I don't see that we should change a defensive set-up and team structure that has been doing well. Scoring has been a problem, but we created at least three chances that we really should have scored from against Man Utd, and Utd are a tad better than Brighton. We just can't afford to miss those opportunities.

Clearly we all hope to win both, and I believe the team is capable of that, but I would take a draw against Brighton if we then get the win against West Brom.

Oh, and Areola has to return the fantastic form he had been showing prior to Chelsea, Man Utd  games. Continue to make the great saves, but the basics have to be spot on. Handing opponents goals is just the last thing we can afford to do.

COYW !!!

Riversider

Brighton is not must win, but its certainly must not lose.

FFC1987

Quote from: Riversider on January 26, 2021, 04:25:39 PM

So, if we can't win against Brighton and draw twice, where are the wins necessary to stay up coming from?

WindyCity

Quote from: MisfitKid on January 25, 2021, 11:41:50 PM
I think we must win both... We need 6 points minimum for momentum.

I think everyone would agree we need the six points.  Some have suggested four points.  That would just be marginally acceptable.  If FFC wants to stay in the Prem, it will need to find ways to win games, not just draw or lose even had played a 'good' game.  Very critical part of the season now.  Sure, if we walk away with no points or just one or two, it's not the end all, there still is half a season yet to go.  But, that will be quite a deep abyss from which to climb out of.  COYW!  Let's get six!

Jules

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 26, 2021, 04:26:49 PM
Quote from: Riversider on January 26, 2021, 04:25:39 PM

So, if we can't win against Brighton and draw twice, where are the wins necessary to stay up coming from?

It is definitely a must win to enable us to stay in close proximity to Brighton who are in 17th and Newcastle above that. A point and we stay 5 points off. Now is the time to start winning especially against teams around us. I'd say we need to win the next 2 games to be in with a good chance of avoiding relegation. A win and a draw is a minimum as.long as the win comes Vs Brighton. By the way it won't be easy as they are better than their current position suggests. We can do it though if we are fully up for it.

Twig

I was fine that we only got 1 point from the last three tough games.  But I think we need 6 from these next two.  Not sure even 4 will be sufficient as we left ourselves playing catch up after the appalling start to the season.  And after these two games it starts to look pretty tough again.

The Rock

Agree with so much of this.

If we started the season with the current squad I think we would have stayed up. We started under the Kahn's schedule at game 6 or 7. Because of it we don't have the luxury to play it safe.

These are must wins, simply on momentum and for confidence. It is really make it or break it and both Cup finals.

The Rock

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 25, 2021, 10:10:45 PM
Yep. We lose to Brighton and for me, it's largely all over.

We lose against Brighton and it's it for the lads. I don't think they'll have the spine and confidence to turn it around.

Cookie6262

For me we need to pick up more points than Newcastle over the next 2 games they are the ones who I believe we can catch!

davew

Quote from: Cookie6262 on January 26, 2021, 07:36:52 PM
For me we need to pick up more points than Newcastle over the next 2 games they are the ones who I believe we can catch!
After them losing tonight maybe, but in my opinion the game against Brighton is the key game (at the moment). If we win that match (which sorry I doubt, but maybe we will), then we beat WBA (which we should be able to) then we will be above Brighton, so nothing to worry about, except the result tomorrow! Feeling so much more confident tonight, thanks to the Tesco online shopping order of Gordons arriving today (lol).
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)