Started by WhiteJC, January 26, 2021, 12:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill2

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 26, 2021, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: alfie on January 26, 2021, 11:21:15 AM
Quote from: bobby01 on January 26, 2021, 11:09:02 AM
Quote from: whitejc on January 26, 2021, 12:07:00 AM
Fulham boss Scott Parker impressed with "real driver" Josh Onomah

Scott Parker wants Fulham to put their FA Cup exit behind them as they focus on a crucial midweek trip to Brighton in the Premier League.

Jay Rodriguez struck twice, including from the penalty spot before turning provider for Kevin Long who was able to tap home as Burnley booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a 3-0 win at Fulham.

The result was Fulham's third-successive defeat and they conceded three goals for the first time since a 3-2 loss to Everton on November 22, but the manager wants them to move on from their lacklustre performance.

"We've got some massive games coming up now, every game is going to be big for us this year, certainly now," Parker said.

"We're halfway through the season now and like you said, this game, I hate the cliche of 'let's forget about this game, whack a line under it and move on', but I think that's the fact.

"(It was) 3-0 today and we were worthy of the result (against) Burnley. We huffed and puffed and were never really able to get in the game, now it's full focus onto Brighton, West Brom and the other games we have coming up in the league."

Parker made eight changes from his side's narrow 2-1 defeat to Manchester United midweek, but many of the fringe players failed to impose themselves on the game and impress their manager.

"I thought Josh Onomah played well today," the Fulham boss said when asked if any of the players brought in for the game could be pushing for a place in the upcoming league matches.

"I thought after being out for some time he came in for QPR and I thought he was a real driver with his head down and worked hard in which was a tough game no doubt, a very difficult game.

"Frank Anguissa I also thought was very, very good but overall I don't think there's anyone who jumped out of the page at any of us really and that's the way the game panned out really."

Burnley goalscorer Rodriguez said the squad was "buzzing" after they booked their place in the next round after building on their shock league victory over Liverpool at Anfield midweek.

"It's another game to look forward to now," the 31-year-old told the club website.

"The lads are buzzing we got through to keep the run going. I always think cup runs are amazing, everything about them, and especially the FA Cup.

"You respect both teams. Whoever gets through to the next round will deserve to be there so you respect them fully and it will be a tough game. But everyone loves a cup run, so hopefully we do well."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/burnley/fa-cup/news/fulham-boss-scott-parker-impressed-with-real-driver-josh-onomah_432072.html

This Parker insistence on praising onomah who IMO is bang average championship level really worries. He must have watched a different performance to me against Burnley. I hope it's not a case of because I insisted on his signing I must make it work. And for those that will say how much he improved last year, I say he only looked reasonable because he was so abysmally bad to start with.

It's all about opinions.

My opinion is that Josh deserves his place in the squad.
I have never been a fan although he has improved this season, but I cannot see that he is better than Lemina, Reed and Frank in the current midfield. So he is a bench player for me and that is before TC comes back.

sunburywhite

Parker may think differently but perhaps he is trying to help the players confidence by giving him public praise
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me