watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 27/01/21...

Started by WhiteJC, January 27, 2021, 12:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Scott Parker issues bold 'back to back' message to Fulham players ahead of Brighton
Fulham boss Scott Parker insists their upcoming matches against fellow strugglers Brighton and West Brom will not define their season.

Third-bottom Fulham travel to Brighton, who lie one place and five points above them, on Wednesday night before a trip to West Brom, a point and a place below them, three days later.

The Cottagers recently drew against Liverpool and Tottenham, amid a run of five consecutive draws, and now need to start turning one point into three against the sides around them.

But Parker has been in relegation battles before as a player and knows the damage that piling too much pressure on single matches can do.

"I think they are big matches but I don't think they are the be all and end all," he said.

"We are halfway through a season. They are big because of where both teams are in and around the division but there are still a lot of games.

"As a team we are improving, we have developed. I feel I have a team here who can win two or three games back to back.

"We've had a few draws but that's the way I feel, and when you have that feeling and you are where we are in the table that can be massive.

"We've played some of the biggest teams and done pretty well. Now we need to take the next step against the teams in and around us.

"But do I see this game as if we don't get a result our fate is done? No I don't. That's what nearly sends people down.

"What you see a lot of the time is players focusing on the negative. In the end it paralyses them, they can't really perform. You die too early. There's half a season left.

"Do I believe in this team? Do I believe we can win two or three on the bounce? 100 per cent."

Brighton expect to have Adam Lallana and Aaron Connolly back in their squad for Wednesday.

Midfielder Lallana (illness and groin) and striker Connolly (hamstring) have returned to training following their respective injury problems but neither is expected to start.

Tariq Lamptey, Alireza Jahanbakhsh (both hamstring) and Danny Welbeck (knee) remain sidelined.

Fulham are still without captain Tom Cairney, who faces a few more weeks out with a knee injury.

Defender Terence Kongolo also remains unavailable due to a hamstring problem.

Alphonse Areola, Kenny Tete, Ademola Lookman, Ivan Cavaleiro and Harrison Reed return after they were rested for the FA Cup defeat by Burnley.

Brighton provisional squad: Sanchez, Walton, Steele, Veltman, Dunk, White, Webster, Burn, March, Propper, Bissouma, Alzate, Moder, Lallana, Sanders, Jenks, Khadra, Gross, Mac Allister, Trossard, Maupay, Tau, Zeqiri, Connolly.

Fulham provisional squad: Rodak, Aina, Ream, Hector, Tete, Kebano, Lemina, Onomah, Kamara, Mitrovic, Decordova-Reid, Fabri, Carvalho, Jasper, Andersen, Cavaleiro, Lookman, Reed.

Parker confirmed he expects out-of-favour midfielder Stefan Johansen to complete his move to Championship QPR before the window closes.

https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/scott-parker-issues-bold-back-back-message-fulham-players-ahead-brighton-3113556

WhiteJC

West Ham, Fulham and Newcastle all in tussle to sign same player

Over the past few weeks, Spezia striker M'Bala Nzola has been linked to several English sides, including the likes of Leeds United, Newcastle United and West Ham.

Even though the January transfer window is now coming to an end and the 24-year-old doesn't seem to be going anywhere, a new list of pretenders is mentioned by the Italian media today.

This time it's journalist Armando Napoletano who on Calcio Napoli 24 Live (via Napoli Magazine) said Fulham joined Newcastle and West Ham in the race for Nzola.

He claims that Spezia's squad should have many changes in the summer, as several players are drawing the interest from other clubs and are about to end up leaving the Serie A side.

The journalist, however, doesn't bring any details on how far Fulham, Newcastle or West Ham would go for the signing, or how much Spezia would demand for the move.

That's actually something that's been repeated in all Nzola rumours this month. Despite many reports of interest in the player, there's no information on how much he'd cost, while he's currently valued by Transfermarkt at only €4m and should certainly leave Italy for more than that.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-fulham-newcastle-tussle-sign-player/

WhiteJC

How should Fulham line up at Brighton?

With one of the season's most important games coming tomorrow evening at the AMEX Stadium, how should Fulham line-up to try and close the gap to Brighton and Hove Albion, one of our fellow relegation rivals?

Since Scott Parker first switched to a back five against Leicester, Fulham have seen an upturn in form, picking up eight points in nine Premier League games. This includes the Leicester win as well as draws against Liverpool and Tottenham, with some asking how we were unable to take three against them! The Whites have also given teams such as Manchester United and Manchester City a run for their money, putting in solid performances to be proud of. The team seems to have come a long way since Paddy Power paid out on Fulham's relegation after just three games.

However, Fulham have also faced criticism whilst using this formation as they are seemingly unable to complete the job against relegation rivals, such as Brighton and Newcastle, taking just two points from the crucial games. What the 5-2-3 formation brings in defensive stability, it lacks in creativity.

When we play against bottom and mid table teams, the general feeling is that we are too cautious. The back 5 means that we lose the creative role that we have seen Cairney and Loftus-Cheek operate in at times over the season. The fast paced, fluid counterattacking style that has been implemented recently is perfect against the top teams who generally prefer to keep possession, winning the ball and quickly exploiting the space that they leave behind.

However, against the rest of the division, we should be looking for a win more proactively, controlling more of the ball. We should do this by adding an element of creativity into the side, switching to a 'plan B' four at the back formation that attempts to retain defensive stability whilst utilising possession better and disrupting their back line.

Therefore, assuming Parker's pre-match assertion that "no new injury concerns have come out of the recent fixtures" is accurate, my line-up would utilise a full squad, minus the injured pair of Cairney and Kongolo or the suspended Robinson. However, it is worth noting that we are likely to see heavy rotation given the squad have just come back from the COVID outbreak, greeted with a congested fixture list against some of the league's strongest teams, to which Parker said, "we are trying to repair the tired bodies".

So, as Fulham prepare to play Brighton for the second time this season, what should the line-up be? This is mine:

This starting eleven would deploy Mitrovic to disrupt the strong Brighton back line with his size and strength whilst allowing him to knock balls onto the more mobile Loftus-Cheek, who would be operating as a False 9. Lookman and Decordova-Reid would operate as inverted wingers, crossing the ball into Mitrovic and crowding the box, whilst Loftus-Cheek waits on the edge of the box for any second balls.

They would also add an element of pace to the forward line, meaning that if Fulham shouldn't squander counterattacking opportunities, as Lookman, Decordova-Reid and Loftus-Cheek can rush forward on the attack. They could also rotate positions across this frontline, similar to Liverpool's attacking line.

I believe that this tactic would find a suitable role for Mitrovic – despite his confidence, form and fitness worries – who prospered against Leeds United with Onomah behind him and fast wingers on either side. This would dispel the argument that 'the system no longer suits Mitrovic with its fast pace', bringing the best of both worlds. Mitrovic may be able to battle Brighton's big and strong defenders physically, that includes the 6'4″ Lewis Dunk, 6'3″ Adam Webster and a very familiar Dan Burn, who stands at a mighty 6'7″. Whilst Mitrovic could battle them physically, the inverted wingers may be able to exploit their lack of pace, creating the best of both worlds.

The midfield double-pivot of Anguissa with a box-to-box midfielder pairing with either Reed or Lemina would remain unchanged. This has been something of a strong point so far this season, with Anguissa's physical and technical ability shining through as he wins the ball and makes runs from deep. Anguissa will also come up against Yves Bissouma, a player who he has drawn many comparisons to with a similar physicality and style playing a role best described as a 'segundo volante'. Whilst Anguissa narrowly beats Bissouma on stats, this game is the perfect opportunity to compare them once again.

Finally, the back line would remain fairly unchanged, despite having one less man, with Aina simply being shifted onto the left from the middle. Aina has been deployed on the left side before, by Torino, either as a winger or wing-back, and offers a more defensively sound option than the beloved Joe Bryan, who often leaves large pockets of spaces for teams to attack into. This is crucial to try and eliminate as Brighton's Tariq Lamptey will likely bomb down our left hand side and cause us great defensive trouble.

Unfortunately, this line-up is unlikely, due to likely-heavy rotation as well as some tactical stubbornness shown against smaller teams. However, it would certainly make a nice 'plan B' and one with which we could play with some more possession and dominate the game. It certainly would be nice to see Mitrovic fit back into the side somehow and find his feet.

What do you think?

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/how-should-fulham-line-up-at-brighton/

WhiteJC

Brighton & Hove Albion v Fulham

Brighton midfielder Adam Lallana has been out for three weeks because of illness and a groin problem
TEAM NEWS

Brighton pair Adam Lallana and Aaron Connolly are both back in training and could be among the substitutes on Wednesday night.

Danny Welbeck and Tariq Lamptey remain absent with respective knee and hamstring injuries.

Bobby Decordova-Reid is available for Fulham after missing their most recent league game because of suspension.

Antonee Robinson serves the final game of a ban, while Tom Cairney and Terence Kongolo are still sidelined.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
This is a big game at the bottom of the table because a Brighton win would open up a bit of distance between them and Fulham in the bottom three.

I am going to back Brighton to take the points too. Fulham have been playing well without winning in recent weeks, while Brighton did not just beat Leeds in their previous league game - they more than matched them in every department and got the job done.

Prediction: 2-0

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Fulham have conceded nine goals in their past three league visits to Brighton.
    The Cottagers' only victory in the eight most recent meetings in all competitions was by 4-2 at home in the Premier League two years ago (D2, L5).

Brighton & Hove Albion

Brighton claimed a first win in 10 Premier League games at the expense of Leeds United last time out.
    They are on a club record league run of 13 successive home matches without a win.
    The Seagulls have won just 18 of their 66 Premier League home fixtures overall.
    Their past five league victories have all come away.
    Albion could win back-to-back league games for only the second time under Graham Potter.
    They have never won a Premier League match played on a Wednesday, drawing five and losing five,
    Neal Maupay could score in four consecutive league starts for the first time since 2018, when he was at Brentford.

Fulham

Fulham are winless in eight league games - drawing five, losing three and scoring just four goals.
    They have lost three successive matches in all competitions.
    Their four goals from set-pieces this season is the lowest tally in the top flight.
    Only West Brom and Sheffield United have kept fewer Premier League clean sheets this season than Fulham's three.
    Ademola Lookman has been involved in five of Fulham's past seven Premier League goals, scoring two and setting up three.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55728234

WhiteJC

Parker understands reluctance to make more signings

Scott Parker would like money for new players but the Fulham boss is ready to be disappointed.

The Whites face a six-pointer against Brighton on Wednesday with no sign of new recruits over the next six days before the transfer window closes.

The club invested close to £110m the last time they were in the Premier League, in 2018-19, and got financially burned.

Relegation and a return to the top flight this season saw a more prudent outlay of around £10m, and the head coach agrees he's feeling the pinch.

"Do I believe that a little bit of investment could it help this team massively?" he said. "Yeah, I do. I can see that in the numbers.

"But I also understand the situation. It's a big commitment.

"The last time we were in this division, we spent a lot of money. The owners have spent an awful lot of money since their tenure at this club.

"That money we spent, we didn't stay in the division. So maybe there's a different avenue this time.

"We've not invested a lot of money into the squad. We've tried to bring players in on loan and I think we've done very, very well.

"The current state of affairs in terms of where the world is, it's always a decision to be made. Where we are in the division, I understand.

"If something happens between now and the window shutting who can help us, amazing. If not, we'll keep improving like we have done."

Fulham have found it hard to attract players willing to throw their weight behind a relegation fight.

Parker says he is ready to battle on with what he has, and insists the current squad can avoid the drop.

"This team has developed and done very well," he added.

"We're improving. Will that be enough at the end of the season? Who knows? It's going to be very difficult.

"Of course, it will always make it easier bringing in people who you know can help.

"But at the same time, I do believe in this squad of players gives me hope that we have a fighting chance in this division."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-wants-money-to-spend-but-expects-to-be-disappointed

WhiteJC

Scott Paker on Fulham transfer troubles and conversations with Tony Khan amid relegation battle

The Whites have looked desperate for a new attacking addition in recent months

Scott Parker has declared he understands Fulham's reluctance to spend big in their bid for Premier League survival. However, it doesn't sound like the possibility of a new signing has completely disappeared.

Speaking ahead of Fulham's six-point clash with Brighton, Parker conceded a move was unlikely at this stage. Nevertheless the former Newcastle and Tottenham star remains in conversation with Director of Football Tony Khan.

Parker is adamant that his side will improve regardless of any additions.

He said: "Constantly in diaglogue [with Tony Khan] trying to explain the situation and Tony sees that as well and Mr Khan. The Khan family have invested a lot of money in this football club and ultimately it is their perogative what they want to do and how much they are willing to do that. I understand and they understand the difficulty of staying in this division without evolving, without bringing in players which can improve us.

"At the same time we've got a chance. While it will be a tough season this year we'll keep working as hard as we can.

"If something happens between now and the window shutting who can help us, amazing, and they can help the players push on again. If not, we'll keep improving like we have."

With less than a week to the transfer window, Fulham enter a period where they often become active. They completed the signings of Joachim Andersen, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Tosin Adarabioyo at the beginning of October, and in their last Premier League foray made five signings on deadline day in August 2019.

Sergio Rico, Joe Bryan, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Luciano Vietto all arrived in the dying hours during a season where the Cottagers spent in the region of £100 million.

It's been clear there has been a different approach this time.

Parker noted: "The owners have spent an awful lot of money in their tenure at the football club. That money spent, we didn't stay in the division so maybe there's a different avenue this time around. We've not invested a lot of money into the squad, we've tried to bring players in on loan and done very well.

"The current state of affairs in terms of where the world is, is always a decision to be made, where we are in the division I understand.

"Do I believe a little bit of investment maybe could help this team massively? Yeah I do, I can see that in the numbers. I also understand the situation and how people may see it as well, it's a big commitment.

"Whatever the situation, this team has developed and done very well in the current situation. We're improving. Will that be enough at the end of the season? Who knows, it's going to be very difficult. Of course it will always make it easier, bringing in people who you know can help. At the same time I do believe in this squad of players and the improvement they've made over a short period of time gives us a chance in this division."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-transfer-news-scott-parker-19706408

WhiteJC

Fulham offer for Nzola rejected

Spezia have rejected Fulham's €12m (£10.6m) bid for striker Mbala Nzola, according to reports in France tonight.

The 24 year-old has scored nine goals in thirteen Serie A games during Spezia's first season in the Italian top flight and has been attracting interest from across Europe, including AC Milan and Lyon. Spezia apparently rejected Fulham's offer immediately and are hopeful of holding onto the Troyes-born forward until the end of the season. It had been rumoured in the Italian press that the Little Eagles might entertain a sale should a suitor bid around €15m (£13.28m) for Nzola, who has made a significant impression in his first few months amongst the Italian footballing elite.

Fulham, who are desperate to sign a striker before the end of the transfer window, are not the only English club interested in acquiring Nzola. West Ham are closely monitoring developments as they seek a replacement for Sebastien Hellar to provide cover for Michail Antonio. Newcastle and Leeds have also been credited with interest in the powerful striker. Nzola, who can also play wide on the left, scored seven goals in 21 appearances as Spezia won promotion from Serie B last season but has recently been sidelined with a hamstring injury.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/fulham-offer-for-nzola-rejected/

WhiteJC

A changing of the guard

Stefan Johansen's departure on loan for Queens Park Rangers wasn't the most unexpected news of the January transfer window. The experienced Norwegian midfielder's loan move to Shepherd's Bush ends a frustrating few months for one of Fulham's most likeable performers in recent years – after Johansen was omitted from the 25-man squad submitted to the Premier League at the start of the season and, having been only included in League Cup ties subsequently, it was telling that Scott Parker didn't pick him for the FA Cup trip to W12 last month.

In truth, Johansen struggled to make an impact after Fulham's last promotion ending that season on loan at West Brom once the Whites had brought in big money midfielders. But there can be no doubting the affection that he has held in at Craven Cottage. He made have endured a slow start to his Fulham career, taken off at half-time after an error-strewn debut against Blackburn, but his boundless energy, eye for a pass and hunger to win the ball back quickly established him as an indispensable part of Slavisa Jokanovic's first-choice midfield.

The understanding Johansen quickly forged with Scottish duo Kevin McDonald and Tom Cairney became integral to the way Jokanovic wanted to play football and the 'three musketeers' swiftly became one of the Championship's most eye-catching midfields. Johansen, whose penchant for a professional foul was remarkably never punished with a red card, was a reliable source of goals in his early years with the Whites, including a famous winner at Loftus Road on a memorable night in September 2017.

There are countless more iconic Johansen moments. We can't forget the brilliant finish at Burton that set Fulham on their way to a crucial midweek win when Jokanovic's side were finding the Brewers tough to break down, his goading of James Maddison in front of the away fans having opened the scoring in a vital victory at Carrow Road, the industrious running that was a key part of Fulham's fabulous victory at Huddersfield later that season and, of course, his contribution to the unforgettable play-off final win over Aston Villa – when those trademark lungbusting fans came in very handy after Denis Odoi's sending off.

Johansen wasn't quite as important during last year's run to the play-off final, playing in a slightly deeper role under Scott Parker and gradually being eclipsed by the likes of Harrison Reed and Josh Onomah. He still racked up 35 appearances – and when sent on late in a game, you knew exactly what he would provide. Johansen was arguably one of the main reasons that Fulham's record of never being beaten when taking the lead under Parker stood for so long.

It isn't difficult to see his departure – even it is just a temporary one at this point – as a more broader changing one of the guard. The key fixtures of Slavisa's side are gradually being ushered aside, if they haven't already left SW6. McDonald, another vital cog in that all-conquering side that went 23 games undefeated in 2018, has made just 31 appearances since the 2018 play-off final as injuries and acquisitions have hampered his hopes of regularly football. The press reports suggest that the Scot is free to find a new home but he remains a popular figure around Motspur Park and is currently taking his coaching badges.

Odoi, who announced himself at Craven Cottage with that glorious control off his back against Newcastle, has also found first-team football fairly infrequent of late. The Belgian utility defender, who wrote his name into Fulham folklore with that majestic header against Derby in the 2018 play-off semi-final, has seen five of his eight appearances this term come in the domestic Cup competitions. His versatility across the back line got him a place in the 25-man squad but it is difficult to see him making much of an impression on the first team after the success of Parker's back three, comprised entirely of summer arrivals.

Sunday showed that age might just be catching up with one of Fulham's finest recent servants in the form of Tim Ream. The American international, who has come back from being written before, was an ever-present under Parker last season but has made just eight appearances this term, with the jittery display against Burnley being the last of them. That performance shouldn't detract from Ream's remarkable consistency over the past few seasons after proving to Jokanovic, who was prepared to release him back in 2016, that he could be the very ball-playing defender the Serbian was seeking. His 207 appearances are a testament to just how reliable Ream has been as the backbone of two promotion-winning sides.

Johansen, McDonald, Odoi and Ream all have contracts which expire either at the end of this season or the end of the next – even if the club have options to extend those deals. There's not much for sentiment in modern football and it feels like a changing of the guard is imminent. Whilst the club must look to strengthen where it can to move forward, the affection held for these characters can't be expressed in mere numbers or brief words. They were all part of one of the most exciting Fulham sides in the club's history and, perhaps more impressively, dusted themselves down after being largely ignored during a season of dismal failure in the Premier League, and committed to returning the Whites to the top flight.

What are your fondest memories of these Fulham heroes?

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/a-changing-of-the-guard/

WhiteJC

Albion fans walk from Amex to Fulham in memory of friend

A GROUP of football fans have completed a charity walk from Falmer to Fulham in memory of their friend.

Alex Broadley, 39, from Worthing, took his own life on June 26, 2020 after suffering with depression.

His friend Russell Booty, alongside 15 of Alex's family and friends, trekked from the Amex Stadium in Falmer, Brighton to Fulham FC's home ground Craven Cottage to pay tribute and raise money for CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably).

Alex Broadley was a lifelong fan of Fulham F.C.

The team set off on December 14, completing the 50-mile walk in just two days, to coincide with Albion's match against Fulham at Craven Cottage

Alex was a huge Fulham fan, while many of his friends are season ticket holders at Brighton and Hove Albion.

Despite the wet and windy weather conditions, everyone in the group completed the trekk, spurred on my Alex's memory.

Russell said: "There were so many different fitness levels amongst us and that first day was tough going because of the terrain.

Alex's brother Dan completed a 50-mile walk in Australia to support the fundraiser.

"I think it was about 30 miles we did on that first day in the end and there was quite a lot of injuries.

"A lot of us were thinking people were going to start dropping out but the next morning everyone was there, and everyone cracked on, which was pretty amazing really.

"We kept in our minds that no matter how hard it was going to be we needed to keep going and that was kind of the mantra of the whole thing."

Alex's brother Dan Broadley, who lives in Australia, walked the same distance from Bondi to Manly Beach, while wearing a Fulham shirt with his brother's name on the back.

The group left a Fulham scarf and a Falmer2Fulham fundraising shirt at the Amex.

The Falmer2Fulham fundraiser originally set out to raise £5,000, but the group have smashed their target and are now just shy of reaching a total of £18,000.

Russell said that he was "overwhelmed" by the support they received during their trek and how Alex's story has already made an impact.

He said: "We met lots of people along the way, just strangers who got talking to us and they then looked on our site and ended up donating.

"There was one particular person who we met quite late on the first day, he was on his own and he was just wondering what all of us were doing.

"About a week later he made a donation with a comment about how he was struggling and that it had been really nice to see us and speak to us all and hear about Alex.

"I think we helped him that day. We were all pleased we bumped into him."

As Albion prepare to take on Fulham in the Premier League this evening, Russell said the fixture always brings back happy memories of his friend.

He said: "It was always something that we would get in contact with each other about. It was a nice friendly rivalry so whenever that comes up, he'll be in our thoughts more so than normal."

To donate to the Falmer2Fulham fundraiser, visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/faimer2fulham

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19040466.albion-fans-walk-amex-fulham-memory-friend/

WhiteJC

Up next: Brighton and Hove Albion (a)

Fulham travel to the Amex Stadium tonight for one of those classical relegation six pointers. The meeting with Brighton and Hove Albion, despite the protestations of both managers, looks like the typical 'must win' fixture. A win on the south coast would put the Cottagers just two points behind Brighton having played a game less, but defeat would leave the Seagulls eight points clear of the drop zone and with plenty of breathing space going into the second half of the season. The stakes are exceptionally high.

Sunday's FA Cup capitulation to Burnley will still be fresh in the minds of Scott Parker, even if he did made eight changes for the fourth round tie ahead of what feels like a critical week in Fulham's season. Parker, who has talked all season about the need to not be deflated by defeats, will be aiming for an immediate response against Albion, who recorded an impressive win at Leeds in their last league outing. Former Brentford forward Neal Maupay's early strike was enough to earn Brighton's first league away win since mid-November. It is Brighton's form on the road that has been keeping them above water – Graham Potter's men having won in thirteen league attempts at the AMEX.

Whilst the results haven't been going Fulham's way of late, the 'progression' that Parker described in yesterday's pre-match press conference has been striking. Where earlier in the season, the Whites were comically vulnerable at the back, Parker's adoption of a three-man central defence has seen them become much more resolute. Narrow defeats at the hands of Chelsea and Manchester United – where Fulham could legitimately consider themselves unfortunate to have been on the losing side – are their only reverses in the last seven league encounters. The problem is now at the other end of the pitch – Fulham have only scored four goals in their last eight league matches, passing up countless glorious opportunities in the process.

Brighton will be definitely be without strikers Danny Welbeck and Florin Andone – meaning that Elland Road matchwinner Maupay is most likely to lead the line for Potter. Winger Alireza Jahanbaksh and Tariq Lamptey, so impressive at right wing-back to date this term, are both missing with hamstring problems. Potter could be able to call on former Liverpool and Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana, who has been missing with a groin complaint, and Republic of Ireland international forward Aaron Connolly, sidelined recently with a hamstring injury, although both are expected to start on the bench.

Fulham will have to do without first choice left back Antonee Robinson, who is serving the third and final game of his three match suspension after his sending off against Chelsea. Tom Cairney's knee problem and Terence Kongolo's latest injury setback see them on the sidelines, but Parker otherwise has a fully fit squad to pick from.

This game feels like a make-or-break match. Defeat could see the Whites could adrift below the relegation line and Parker's charges need to be ruthless, making the most of any chances that come their way against a very well-drilled defensive outfit. These are the sort of games that need to be won to mount a successful survival bid – and with wins at a premium this season – some of those impressive performances need to be translated into points on the board.

@ffcSeb's prediction– Brighton and Hove Albion 0-1 Fulham FC

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/up-next-brighton-and-hove-albion-a-2/

WhiteJC

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Fulham: 27/01/2021 – match preview and predicted starting XIs

Brighton and Hove Albion vs Fulham

Date: 27/01/2021

K/O: 19:30

Venue: Amex Stadium
Referee: Craig Pawson

TV: BT Sport

Seventeenth placed Seagulls take on eighteenth placed Fulham on Wednesday evening, as Scott Parker's side drift closer to relegation, with no wins from eight in the Premier League. The significance of this clash cannot be understated and could be labelled as a 'six-pointer', with the teams being next to each other in the league.

Last time out Brighton won 1-0 against Leeds, ending a winless streak of nine games. Neal Maupay scored the only goal of the game, finishing off a well-worked move and scoring his seventh of the season.

Fulham lost 2-1 against league leaders Manchester United last week. Ademola Lookman put Fulham ahead after only five minutes, but Edinson Cavani and Paul Pogba fought back to make it 2-1 and send the Cottagers even closer to relegation.

Despite their precarious position, Brighton have only lost two games from their last 10 – accumulating 11 points (W2, D5, L3). Their inconsistent form finds them only five points above the relegation zone and in with a chance of going down. To make matters worse, Fulham have a game in hand, which would reduce the gap to just two points.

Fulham's return to the Premier League hasn't been too kind to them. The Cottagers are second bottom, with only two wins and 15 goals scored. 40 points is usually considered safety from relegation and at the half-way point, Fulham have 12 points, which is nowhere near good enough.

In recent games, their performances have been better. Last week Parker's side challenged Man Utd in a tight 2-1 loss and the week before they lost 1-0 to Chelsea, in another closely contested game. Despite these back-to-back losses, they had drawn their previous three games and now have the second-highest amount of draws in the league (6), behind Liverpool (7).

Brighton's best player so far this season is arguably Neal Maupay. The French striker has seven goals and three assists to his name. Last season he scored 10 goals and looks likely to smash that record this year. He'll certainly be hoping for goals against a leaky Fulham defence.

Both teams match-up similarly in defensive – Brighton have two clean sheets, whilst Fulham have three. Wednesday's game will likely be won in midfield. It'll come down to who can control the game and create the most chances. With both teams having poor defensive records, it could become an end-to-end game, with both teams desperate for the win and the chance to move further/closer to their opponent.

The last time these two sides met it ended in a 0-0 stalemate. In fact, Brighton and Hove Albion are winless in their last three Premier League meetings with Fulham, losing once and drawing twice. A win for the visitors would be a huge step towards safety.

Team News

Brighton and Hove Albion

Graham Potter has a few injury decisions to make ahead of Wednesdays' clash. Tariq Lamptey has been out for a lengthy spell with a hamstring injury he picked up last time Albion faced Fulham, six games ago.

In midfield, Adam Lallana is in contention, but he might miss out due to a lack of match fitness. Alireza Jahanbakhsh has had a knock and won't feature on Wednesday. In attack, Danny Welbeck is still unavailable with a knock he picked up against West Ham. Aaron Connolly could play a part off the bench, as he is suffering from a lack of match fitness. This means Maupay will almost certainly start up top for the Seagulls.

Fulham

Defender Antonee Robinson is suspended after his red card challenge against Chelsea. Joe Bryan will likely take his place after he played the remaining minutes at Stamford Bridge and the full game against Man Utd. Long term absentee Tom Cairney hasn't featured in five games and is ruled out with a knee injury. Elsewhere the Cottagers are unscathed and could line-up identically to last week.

Predicted starting XIs

Brighton (4-3-1-2): Sanchez; Veltman, Dunk, Webster, Burn; Pröpper, White, Solly March; Alexis Mac Allister, Tau, Trossard

Fulham (3-4-3): Areola; Aina, Andersen, Tosin Adarabioyo; Reid, Zambo Anguissa, Reed, Bryan; Cavaleiro, Mitrovic, Lookman

Predicted Scoreline: Brighton 2-1 Fulham
The Seagulls looked great against Leeds last week and kept a clean sheet against a very attacking side. Fulham also looked good against Manchester United, but I'm backing the hosts to get the three points. I think if Brighton takes their chances they'll win comfortably.

https://90maat.com/brighton-hove-albion-vs-fulham-27-01-2021-match-preview-and-predicted-starting-xis/

filham

QPR so lucky to have Steffjo on loan, he never has a bad game and will without doubt do a good job for them.
He will be missed by us fans.

WhiteJC

Parker: Lookman still has a lot to learn

Ademola Lookman has found his feet at Fulham – but Scott Parker believes the winger has still got a lot to learn.

The former Everton youngster has caught the eye since arriving in the summer but Parker reckons the best is yet to come.

"He's still got a lot to learn, a lot to improve, but he's still a first-class player," said the Whites boss.

"Does he respond better to an arm around the shoulder than a kick than a kick up the backside? Yeah, he probably does.

"He's a very young footballer. He was at Everton where he didn't play a lot of football and then at Leipzig. He's just finding his feet again and for me he's certainly found them with us."

Parker dismissed any notion that Lookman's past two performances were missing something, even though he scored the opener against Manchester United in a 2-1 home defeat.

"I think he's been first class for us in difficult games," Parker explained.

"Against Chelsea with 10 men, and Man United who are top of the table, you're playing against quality players.

"You're going to be limited in terms of showing your quality.

"In saying that, with 10 men against Chelsea I thought he was first class, and against United he scored a goal. He's doing brilliant for us and everyone can see that.

"Everyone who understands the game can see the quality of the boy and what he can do for us."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-man-has-still-got-a-lot-to-learn-parker

WhiteJC

Brighton and Fulham meet in key relegation duel

Team news
Brighton & Hove Albion could have both Adam Lallana and Aaron Connolly available to face Fulham.

Wednesday's home match comes too soon for Tariq Lamptey (hamstring), Danny Welbeck (knee) and Alireza Jahanbakhsh (knock).

Scott Parker reports no fresh injury concerns for Fulham, who will be without the suspended Antonee Robinson, but welcome back Bobby De Cordova-Reid following his one-match ban.

Did you know?
Having beaten Leeds United last time out, Brighton & Hove Albion are looking to secure back-to-back Premier League victories for the first time since November 2019. However, their last five league wins have come away from home.

Brighton striker Neal Maupay has scored in each of his last three PL starts. The Frenchman last scored in four consecutive league starts in September 2018 with Brentford.

Fulham are unbeaten in their three PL meetings with Brighton (W1 D2).

Ademola Lookman has been involved in more PL goals than any other Fulham player this season, with three strikes and three assists. In his English league career, he's only been involved in more goals in 2016/17 with Charlton Athletic and Everton (six goals, two assists).

Match officials
Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Richard West. Fourth official: Gavin Ward. VAR: Andre Marriner. Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1979292

WhiteJC

QPR capture the signature of midfielder Stefan Johansen on loan from Fulham

Stefan Johansen has joined QPR on loan from Fulham for the rest of the season.

The 30-year-old central midfielder will add a wealth of experience to Mark Warburton's side, having made more than 300 professional appearances in a career that has spanned his native Norway, Scotland and England.

Johansen, who captains his national side, featured regularly for Fulham as they won promotion from the Championship last term and now he is ready for a new challenge with QPR.

"Obviously I am very excited," he said after completing the move.

"QPR is a traditional club. English football is huge back home in Norway, and we have always heard about QPR as a big club."

Johansen says the opportunity to come and play was key for him.

"As a player you do not want to be on the bench or not playing," he said.

"I had a lot of conversations with the gaffer here and it was him who made me come here, the way he spoke about his style of play and how he is as a person.

"You want to play your best football and you need the right manager for that. I definitely feel I can play my best football under him."

Johansen's immediate personal target is clear.

"Obviously I have come here to play football but I want to win games," he said. "I watched a little bit of the game against Derby and with the way the team is playing, you deserve more points.

"We have to build that momentum."

Warburton is equally looking forward to working with Johansen, adding: "I am delighted we have been able to bring Stefan on board.

"He has evident quality and experience on both the domestic and international stage, and is a player who has shown he can play in a deeper-lying midfield role or in a more attacking position.

"That flexibility he has is vital for us, and I must thank Fulham for their help in making this happen."

Johansen has a reputation as a no-nonsense midfielder, but Warburton feels that can sometimes take away from the player's other capabilities.

"Stefan is a player that, as an opposition manager, you would be wary of because you know the ability he has and the threat he can pose," said the R's boss.

"I have seen him first hand both in Scotland and obviously with Fulham, so I know the talent he possesses."

In terms of Johansen's availability for selection, Warburton said: "I know Stefan has been working hard to keep himself fit.

"With our game against Watford being moved to Monday night it gives us extra time to work with him this week, see where he is and then we can make a decision from there."

https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/qpr-sign-midfielder-johansen-on-loan-7075490

WhiteJC

Graham Potter says Albion v Fulham could be tight

Graham Potter believes Albion and Fulham could be in for another tense, tight contest.

The sides drew 0-0 at Craven Cottage in the run-up to Christmas.

They meet again at the Amex tonight (7.30pm, BT Sport).

Seagulls boss Potter said: "It was a tight game, a tough game. Could have gone either way in terms of they had a good chance.

"We had a couple of chances ourselves.

"I think a lot of what Fulham do was there, a lot of what we do was there.

"I think it just indicates it is going to be a tight game again."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19040902.graham-potter-says-albion-v-fulham-tight/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham have £10.6m bid for West Ham target M'Bala Nzola rejected

Fulham have looked to steal a march on West Ham in the race to sign M'Bala Nzola, with Foot Mercato reporting that Scott Parker's men have had a bid for the striker rejected.

Nzola is one of the most in-form goalscorers in Europe right now. The 24-year-old has scored nine goals in 13 Serie A games for Spezia this season.

And his form is not going unnoticed. French outlet Foot Mercato has reported that West Ham are closely monitoring the Frenchman as David Moyes looks to sign another striker.

But it appears to be Fulham have made the first move. The report claims that the promoted side have made a bid of around £10.6 million for the forward.

However, it has been suggested that Spezia have turned down the offer. It appears that they are hoping to keep him for the rest of the season.

It remains to be seen if any of his admirers plan to make any further offers before the window closes.

West Ham are yet to bolster their attacking options since Sebastien Haller departed.

In fairness, Michail Antonio continues to impress. He has certainly taken a lot of the pressure off of the club.

It would still be a gamble to let the window close without signing another attacking player. But if West Ham enjoy a little luck, there is no reason why they cannot continue to thrive without further additions.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-fulham-have-10-6m-bid-for-west-ham-target-mbala-nzola-rejected/

alfie

Quote from: filham on January 27, 2021, 09:48:15 AM
QPR so lucky to have Steffjo on loan, he never has a bad game and will without doubt do a good job for them.
He will be missed by us fans.
He will be remembered for what he did few years back, but to be honest he did have a few bad games.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

WhiteJC

Fulham must get results against rivals after impressing as underdogs, says Scott Parker

Scott Parker has told his Fulham squad to ensure their impressive performances against bigger sides don't count for nothing when they face relegation rivals this week.

The Cottagers have improved markedly over the last month or two, putting in big performances against Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea.

This week they face two relegation rivals, starting with Brighton tonight before visiting West Brom on Saturday. Parker's side sit five points from Brighton and safety with a game in hand.

While they've won much praise in running the big sides close, Parker knows this is the run which counts when it comes to beating the drop this season.

"One-million per cent, that is exactly it," said Parker.

"We've played six or seven of the best teams in the division in our last nine and this is the main driver for me with this team.

"Now, this is our competition. This is where we are and the glitz and glamour of the big players coming [is gone]. Now, the job is to maintain performance and maintain standards and we maintained that over the last few months, we need to keep it there because there are some big games coming up and we need to be on the right side of the results.

"We do need to turn these draws and little losses into wins. We understand that and hopefully we can do that against Brighton, West Brom and Leicester."

Parker wants to add a striker to his ranks before the close of the transfer window on Monday but has admitted any deals will be difficult.

"The current state of affairs in terms of where the world is, it's always a decision to be made," he said.

"Do I believe that a little bit of investment could it help this team massively? Yeah, I do. I can see that in the numbers.

"But I also understand the situation. It's a big commitment."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-scott-parker-improved-beat-rivals-b901303.html

WhiteJC

Get the lowdown on Albion's opponents Fulham

To get the lowdown on Albion's opponents Fulham, Adam Stenning spoke to Isabelle Barker of The Sun, who is a regular on the Fulhamish Podcast.

What have you made of their start to the season?

Our form at the start of the season was miserable and we looked destined to go straight back into the Championship because we were shipping so many goals.

But once a few of our injured new signings were able to play, like centre back Joachim Andersen, we've looked like a whole new side, particularly since we got our first win against West Brom.

It's credit to Scott Parker for bringing the best out of the new faces from the summer and being ruthless with the old faces, like axing our captain Tom Cairney from the starting line-up.

Do they have enough to stay up?

I'm worried we've left it too late to find our form.

Also we have been really unlucky with some decisions which have cost us crucial points, for example the ridiculous penalty against Newcastle when Callum Wilson dived.

However I do feel we have enough quality in our squad to bring it to big teams and fight till the end.

Just how big of a game is this for Fulham in their battle to avoid relegation?

It's huge and potentially season-defining.

Yes, we can bring it to big teams but it's scrapping with the likes of Brighton and West Brom that is going to determine whether we keep our place in the Prem.

Managers like to say these aren't must-win games but if you don't have the mentality that this is a must-win game then you've got no hope of staying up.

Do they need to strengthen in the transfer window?

Our recruitment was shambolic with transfers coming in on deadline day but ultimately they have been brilliant.

We have at least eight of our summer signings in our starting XI each week so I don't think we need to get loads of players in.

We haven't got a great deal of funds left so it would only likely be loan players coming in.

I'm a big fan of Aleksandar Mitrovic but a lot of fans would like to see a more mobile, dynamic striker coming in - but in my opinion Fulham aren't going to get a better striker than Mitro.

How will they line-up?

Areola; Andersen, Tosin, Aina; Tete, Reed, Anguissa, Bryan; Decordova-Reid (pictured), Lookman; Cavaleiro (although I'd rather it was Mitro!).

What will the score be?

2-1 Fulham!!!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19041699.get-lowdown-albions-opponents-fulham/