more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 30/01/21...

Started by WhiteJC, January 30, 2021, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Three Points Essential

OK, Fulham comrades. Tomorrow's match is quite a biggie. You could argue that this is the most important of the season so far. We sit five points from safety, but with an inferior goal difference to Brighton who sit one place ahead of us. We are officially into he second half of the season and with only two wins to our name so far, the pressure is well and truly on. One of those wins came against West Brom back in November but the season hasn't picked up points-wise for either team since then really. While our defence has come on considerably since the start of the season, the Baggies have been a disaster. Sacking Bilic for Allardyce has so far not worked so here's hoping their diabolical defending lasts for at least one more day.

West Brom remind me of us from two seasons ago. They have conceded 21 more goals (but in one game more) than us so far this year but worryingly for Fulham we have scored the same amount with just 15 goals apiece. This has been the concern for Scott Parker for some time really. Our defending isn't the issue any more, but the insistence to rely on pace has been our downfall. I understand what we have been trying to do, but quick breaks and pace have helped us win once this season and that was that remarkable night in Leicester. It was an amazing win, but the style of play hasn't helped us throughout the season. Cavaleiro, despite all of his industrious running, just isn't effective in that position. We need someone who can link the play and we have that in Mitrovic. I get that for a time Mitro didn't look fit and his confidence was low, but his impact on Wednesday night against Brighton was very positive. He set up both goals against West Brom last time we played them and I'm confident that he can help us to three points tomorrow.

One thing that Parker and the boys need to be aware of is the possible reaction to West Brom's heavy defeat at home to Manchester City on Tuesday. Allardyce kept his side in the dressing room for over an hour after the game and there seems to have been a lively discussion about how they move forward. When teams have a moment like that it normally only results in one of two things. An immediate upturn in fortune as everyone pulls together, or else an already struggling squad falls apart even more. They have been dreadful at home this season, but will be targeting this game as their moment to kick-start their campaign properly. Fulham have to be prepared for the backlash tomorrow. We have to be super tight from the off and not give them an inch. We beat a Bilic side in November, this is an Allardyce side so will have to approach the game wary of this.

Wednesday night was very poor from a Fulham perspective. We looked nervous and didn't really threaten until the end of the game. When we are playing the teams around us we just can't afford to do this. Three points tomorrow is essential.

#COYW

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/three-points-essential/

WhiteJC

'Registration was submitted' – Diagne could make West Brom debut v Fulham – report

West Brom have announced the signing of Mbaye Diagne from Galatasaray and he could make his Albion debut against Fulham.

Diagne becomes the third recruit under Sam Allardyce and the Albion boss will want his new man to hit the ground running.

The 29-year-old forward has the opportunity to do just that against Fulham on Saturday, according to Sky Sports reporter Lyall Thomas.

On Friday evening, Thomas tweeted, "Announced by West Brom and I'm told Diagne's registration was submitted in time for him to potentially make an immediate debut against Fulham tomorrow."

This will come as huge boost for Allardyce as his other forward options have not impressed since he arrived at The Hawthorns.

Karlan Grant is fit and available but he was poor under Slaven Bilic and looked no better against Manchester City as he has very little presence.

Quite the opposite is true for Diagne as the 6ft three-inch attacker offers a presence in the air and he looks like he can handle himself against tough centre backs.

This is something Grant, and many other Albion attackers, can't do as Big Sam looks to have finally acquired one of his key targets this month.

A debut against Fulham gives Diagne a great chance to hit the ground running, after all, he is already in fantastic goalscoring form.

Imagine what a debut goal will do for his confidence and the confidence of Baggies fans everywhere as the prospect of avoiding relegation becomes ever so slightly more realistic.

Equally, Allardyce may not have a choice but to play his new man if he has been left unimpressed with the striking options he already had.

At least he has the option to play Diagne as we may get a chance to see our new man in action earlier than we thought.

https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2021/01/29/registration-was-submitted-diagne-could-make-west-brom-debut-v-fulham-report/

WhiteJC

Timmy Abraham

Raith Rovers have today secured the loan signing (until the end of the season) of an exciting prospect in Fulham striker Timmy Abraham.

The 20 year old  Londoner (full name Jason Timiebi Ogheneobrucheme Bakumo-Abraham) stands at 6ft 1in and started his career at the youth academy of Charlton Athletic FC, before joining Fulham FC in 2017 and playing for the Lilywhites under 21 side.

Timmy has also spent time on loan at EFL League 1 clubs Bristol Rovers and Plymouth Argyle in the last year.

Timmy is the brother of England and Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham, and he talked to RaithTV after his first training session with his new teammates:

https://www.raithrovers.net/46351/timmy-abraham.htm

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: West Brom vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is our preview of West Brom vs. Fulham.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/1/29/22256886/cottage-talk-preview-west-brom-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Raith take Abraham on loan

Fulham striker Timmy Abraham has joined Raith Rovers for the remainder of the season on loan.

The 20 year-old made just appearances at League One Plymouth Argyle earlier this season before his loan spell at Home Park was terminated early and a move to Scotland is seen as an opportunity to gain further first-team football. Abraham, the brother of Chelsea and England striker Tammy, spent the second half of last season with Bristol Rovers, again making four appearances and not scoring a goal.

He has scored four goals in 23 appearances for Fulham's under 23s and netted twelve times in 36 games for the under-18 side after moving from Charlton Athletic. Abraham has made just one appearance for Colin Omogbehin and Mark Pembridge's outfit this term and will be hoping to add firepower to Raith's push for promotion from the Scottish Championship. Rovers are currently in fourth place, two points behind Dundee, with a game in hand. Those two sides face each other at Stark's Park tomorrow afternoon.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/raith-take-abraham-on-loan/

WhiteJC

Parker warns Robinson to be careful when tackling

Scott Parker has warned Antonee Robinson to be "careful" with his tackling now the defender has served a ban.

Robinson is back in the squad after serving a three-match suspension following a straight red card against Chelsea two weeks ago.

He will almost certainly be at left-back against West Brom on Saturday.

In a 20-season playing career, Whites boss Parker picked up just one straight red – and that as a youth player at Charlton.

He believes those days are long gone.

"Can you coach how to tackle and stay just the right side of OK? I don't think you can in this day and age," Parker said.

"We're close to tackling being eradicated from the game and players not having to wear shin pads is not that far away.

"The days of going in and winning a ball are gone, and any slight bit of aggressiveness is not allowed.

"For me, tackling is an art. We look at the best strikers and the midfielders, the best passers, and we look at them and (ask) how they do that. I think the same about tackling.

"My comment to Antonee Robinson is you need to be so, so careful. Do I think that was a red card (against Chelsea)? No, I don't.

"But we're in a world where I hear experienced professionals, now pundits, who were in the generation I was in and loved tackling and who now see any slight contact could be a sending-off. It's pretty difficult to coach."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-warns-robinson-to-be-careful-when-tackling

WhiteJC

Scott Parker wanted Aleksandar Mitrovic to get "some air and oxygen"

Scott Parker revealed he took Fulham centre-forward Aleksandar Mitrovic out of the team so he could get "some air and oxygen".

The Serbian has found his game time limited under Parker this season, starting just one Premier League match since November's international break.

The number nine has also not scored for Fulham since his side's 4-3 defeat by Leeds at Elland Road in September.

"I think it's fair to say that Aleks, at the start of the season, struggled a bit and had a bit of a dip in form," Parker said, referring to his decisive sudden-death penalty shoot-out miss while on international duty which saw Scotland secure a place at Euro 2020 at the expense of Serbia.

"Being the one centre-forward in the football club, a lot of pressure and responsibility lies on Aleks' shoulders. I played football for a long time, I understand those pressures and stresses.

"Sometimes coming out of the arena, and getting some air and oxygen, can help."

The Fulham boss has taken players out of the squad before, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek having to wait until October 18 to make his Fulham debut, and then missing a further game in November.

Parker believes that his decision to take Mitrovic out of the starting line-up will prove beneficial for last season's Sky Bet Championship golden boot winner.

"I'm sure it's not been an easy period," said the boss. "That's then down to me in terms of managing Aleks and understanding the reasons for that. Of course at the same time, (Ivan) Cavaleiro has done very, very well. The team has done very, very well.

"At the time, players just live in the moment and see it for what it is. That little bit of air you give them, which maybe at first they don't quite understand, or quite see, they come out the other side, and all of a sudden play with a little bit more freedom.

"They forget what was happening, that burden or dip in form that was maybe on their shoulders.

"I think that's something that can only help Aleks. Every player has dips in form, every player has moments in their careers and moments in seasons.

"But like I said, I was really pleased with Aleks against Burnley. I thought he was superb when he came on. He was a real presence, showed his quality, played with a real freedom and energy."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/scott-parker-wanted-aleksandar-mitrovic-to-get-some-air-and-oxygen_432783.html

WhiteJC

Refreshed Mitrovic can benefit from 'air and oxygen,' says Parker

Scott Parker feels Aleksandar Mitrovic can benefit from his spell out of the Fulham team after a difficult start to the Premier League season.

The Fulham manager has left the Serbian striker out of his side since Mitrovic missed the decisive penalty in his country's European Championship play-off defeat by Scotland, with the former Newcastle forward making just a single since November's international break – against his old club at St. James' Park.

Parker says he has had to draw on his own experiences to manage Mitrovic, who hasn't scored since grabbing a couple of goals in Fulham's 4-3 defeat at Leeds back in October.

"I think it's fair to say that Aleks, at the start of the season, struggled a bit and had a bit of a dip in form. Being the one centre-forward in the football club, a lot of pressure and responsibility lies on Aleks' shoulders. I played football for a long time, I understand those pressures and stresses. Sometimes coming out of the arena, and getting some air and oxygen, can help."

"I'm sure it's not been an easy period. That's then down to me in terms of managing Aleks and understanding the reasons for that. Of course at the same time, Cavaleiro has done very, very well. The team has done very, very well."

"At the time, players just live in the moment and see it for what it is. That little bit of air you give them, which maybe at first they don't quite understand, or quite see, they come out the other side, and all of a sudden play with a little bit more freedom. They forget what was happening, that burden or dip in form that was maybe on their shoulders."

Parker believes Mitrovic's spell out of the team could be beneficial during the second half of the season and was impressed by his contribution off the bench in Wednesday's draw with Brighton.

"I think that's something that can only help Aleks. Every player has dips in form, every player has moments in their careers and moments in seasons. But like I said, I was really pleased with Aleks against Brighton. I thought he was superb when he came on. He was a real presence, showed his quality, played with a real freedom and energy."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/refreshed-mitrovic-can-benefit-from-air-and-oxygen-says-parker/

WhiteJC

'Be careful with tackling,' Parker tells Robinson

Scott Parker has reminded Antonee Robinson to 'be careful' in the tackle as he prepares to welcome the defender back into his Fulham side.

The American international served a three-match ban for his challenge on Cesar Azpilicueta in the west London derby – with both the player and his manager still believing that sending off was harsh. Parker told his press conference ahead of tomorrow's pivotal trip to West Brom that the decision was a sign of the times.

"Can you coach how to tackle and stay just the right side of OK? I don't think you can in this day and age. We're close to tackling being eradicated from the game and players not having to wear shin pads is not that far away."

"The days of going in and winning a ball are gone, and any slight bit of aggressiveness is not allowed. For me, tackling is an art. We look at the best strikers and the midfielders, the best passers, and we look at them and how they do that. I think the same about tackling."

"My comment to Antonee Robinson is you need to be so, so careful. Do I think that was a red card? No, I don't. But we're in a world where I hear experienced professionals, now pundits, who were in the generation I was in and loved tackling and who now see any slight contact could be a sending-off. It's pretty difficult to coach."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/be-careful-with-tackling-parker-tells-robinson/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth attacker expected to stay until the end of the season

Josh King is expected to stay at Bournemouth in this transfer window, as per Sky Sports (live transfer blog, 29.01.21, 23.09).

The Cherries boss Jason Tindall said that the Norway international is sticking around for the rest of the season.

King, who is 29 years old, has been on the radar of the likes of Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Fulham this month, as reported by The Sun, but appears to be staying in the Championship.

The attacker has made 14 appearances for Bournemouth in all competitions this season and has scored three goals.

King is out of contract at the end of the season and his long-term future with the promotion hopefuls remains to be up in the air.

Tindall has said: "He [King] said to me today that he's staying here until the end of the season. That's great news for us and I'm sure Josh will be looking to do extremely well for us from now until the end of the season."

King joined Bournemouth in 2015 and has chipped in with in 50 goals in all competitions over the past five years. He will now be looking to play a part in their push for an immediate return to the top flight during the second half of the season.

He has previously played for the likes of Manchester United, Hull City and Blackburn Rovers and can finally start solely focusing on his football at Bournemouth this season as opposed to speculation linking him with a return to the Premier League.

https://the72.co.uk/218034/bournemouth-attacker-expected-to-stay-until-the-end-of-the-season/

WhiteJC

West Brom predicted XI: Fulham (H)

West Bromwich Albion host Fulham at The Hawthorns this afternoon and Sam Allardyce could ring the changes after watching his side lose 5-0 to Manchester City on Tuesday.

The Baggies are considering changes in midfield, but they'll need to shake up the defence as they have conceded more goals (48) than any other Premier League club this season. Also, with Albion being shut out in 10 of their 20 league games, Allardyce could decide to alter his attack as well.

Sam Johnstone conceded five goals in midweek but isn't at risk of losing his place between the sticks as he has saved 64% of the shots on target he has faced this season.

Darnell Furlong underperformed at right-back against Man City, so Dara O'Shea might get the nod today. Kieran Gibbs also delivered a disappointing performance at left-back in midweek, so the returning Conor Townsend might start.

Kyle Bartley came off the bench on Tuesday and was culpable for Man City's fifth goal by not following Raheem Sterling's run into the box, but he might come in at centre-back if O'Shea is moved to the right.

Semi Ajayi has been a mainstay this season and is likely to get the nod alongside Bartley as Branislav Ivanovic has struggled throughout the season.

Robert Snodgrass could start as his goal output, distribution and work rate will be key. The 33-year-old had a hand in 10 goals from 17 Premier League last season for West Ham, creating 33 chances, having 21 shots and whipping in 136 crosses (WhoScored), so Allardyce is likely to give him the nod.

Jake Livermore is the lesser of two evils in midfield, as he wasn't as bad as Romaine Sawyers in midweek. Allardyce doesn't have a lot of depth in the engine room, so he might give the 31-year-old skipper one last chance to impress in a holding role. Sawyers might be dropped after his poor performance against Man City, so the energetic Conor Gallagher is in pole position to start.

Until Grady Diangana returns from injury, Allardyce doesn't have many options on the wing. Only Matheus Pereira has created more chances (29) than Matt Phillips (12) for West Brom and only Pereira whips in more accurate crosses (every 79.1 minutes) than Phillips (every 84.8 minutes), so the 29-year-old should get the nod on the wing [WhoScored].

Pereira is a given. He has scored the most goals (4), supplied the most assists (3), created the most chances and has the second-most dribbles (20) of any Baggies player this season (WhoScored). He should sit behind the lone striker.

Karlan Grant didn't set the world alight against City, but Allardyce praised the 23-year-old before Tuesday's defeat and said he'll provide more of a goal threat, so he should lead the line against Fulham.

In total, we anticipate that Allardyce will make four changes from the side which began the 5-0 drubbing by Manchester City.

Predicted XI vs Fulham: Johnstone; O'Shea, Ajayi, Bartley, Townsend; Snodgrass, Livermore, Gallagher, Phillips; Pereira; Grant,

https://readwestbrom.com/2021/01/30/west-brom-predicted-xi-fulham-home/

WhiteJC

FEBRUARY FIXTURE CHANGES

Fulham's final three fixtures next month have now been confirmed:

Everton v Fulham – Sunday 14th February (7pm) – Live on BT Sport
Fulham v Sheffield United – Saturday 20th February (8pm) – Live on Sky Sports
Crystal Palace v Fulham – Sunday 28th February (12pm) – Live on BBC

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/january/February-Fixture-Changes/

WhiteJC

Jesse Lingard: West Ham sign Man Utd midfielder on loan after Said Benrahma deal made permanent

West Ham have signed Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard on loan until the end of the season, after completing the permanent signing of Said Benrahma.

England international Lingard, who has scored 33 goals in 210 appearances for United, had played just three times for the club this season.

United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he wanted the 28-year-old to return to Old Trafford "revitalised".

"I'm excited," said Lingard. "It's another new chapter in my life."

He added: "Nothing is guaranteed but I've come here to work hard and help the team and bring my experience. That's the main aim. I just want to enjoy my football and get back playing again and get my feet back on the pitch."

The Hammers were due to make winger Benrahma's loan move from Brentford permanent in the summer but they finalised the deal worth up to £30m earlier on Friday to free up loan space.

Premier League clubs can only have two domestic loan signings; West Ham also have Craig Dawson on loan from Watford.

Algeria international Benrahma moved to London Stadium on loan from Championship side Brentford in October, in an agreement that obliged the Hammers to make a permanent transfer, worth £25m plus £5m in add-ons, at the end of this season - but now the 25-year-old has signed a contract until 2026.

Lingard reunites with former Manchester United manager David Moyes at West Ham.

"There were lots of clubs involved but, for me personally, I felt this was the right move," said Lingard.

"I've obviously had a previous relationship with the manager as he was at Man U and I've played under him before, so he knows my qualities and what I can bring to the team.

"It's important that a player and manager have a good relationship. He's got really good morals, he gets his team working hard and I've had a chat with him already and there are no guarantees - it's down to me to put the work in and put the graft in, to get into the team and play well week-in, week-out."

Moyes said: "I've seen him play as a young boy, when he was still a wide player on the right, and I've seen him play off the left. He's played for England as a number 10, he's played for England as a number eight, and I actually think if we needed him as a false nine, he could do that as well.

"We're bringing in that versatility, I've wanted to try to get an energetic team at the moment and Jesse has been known for his work-rate and effort, so I think he'll fit in nicely with what we've got.

"I hope he brings us a little bit of quality too, and a winning mentality from Manchester United."

Speaking at a news conference before United's Premier League match with Arsenal on Saturday (17:30 GMT), Solskjaer said Lingard had a future at the club.

"We want Jesse to come back here revitalised," he said. "We've had little to no injuries and he's not forced his way into the team, unfortunately.

"I just want him to go there and enjoy himself, show how good a player he is and come back. He is a Manchester United player through and through."

Lingard will not feature in the Hammers' home game against Liverpool on Sunday (16:30 GMT) and will be ineligible to play against his parent club in the FA Cup fifth round.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55810784

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kevin McDonald set to find refuge at Nottingham Forest – Hughton fends off 'several' Championship clubs to land midfielder

Nottingham Forest are plotting a move for Fulham outcast Kevin McDonald, reports Football Insider, after their pursuit of Bournemouth's Dan Gosling fell through.

The Scot is a favourite at Craven Cottage. But he's this season been omitted from Scott Parker's 25-man Premier League squad and now looks set for a departure before Monday's deadline.

Parker has already allowed Stefan Johansen to join QPR on loan, and now McDonald could be another central player that departs.

Whether or not Forest want the permanent deal remains to be seen. But Chris Hughton wants to bring in another central midfielder after Gosling rejected the chance to join Forest.

Manchester United's James Garner is understood to be close to signing on loan, whilst Filip Krovinovic has already signed on loan.

McDonald then could be a third central midfielder that joins Forest in this transfer window, with Hughton looking to support the likes of Lyle Taylor and Lewis Grabban up front.

Speaking to Sky Sports earlier in the week, McDonald outlined his desires to find a loan move in the final days of this transfer window, with the report claiming that 'several' Championship clubs had enquired about his availability.

McDonald will bring a host of experience to Nottingham Forest. The club still sit perilously above the drop zone and despite an upturn in form of late, Hughton and the Forest fans will know that their job is far from done.

But the former Burnley and Wolves man has been around the block. Now aged 32, the Scot will be raring to get going at Forest, and remind fans that he's still a player with a lot to offer at Championship level.

https://the72.co.uk/218094/fulham-man-set-to-find-refuge-at-nottingham-forest-hughton-fends-off-several-championship-clubs-to-land-midfielder/

WhiteJC

Forest make McDonald move

Nottingham Forest are preparing to offer Fulham's Kevin McDonald first-team football after Dan Gosling turned down the chance to move to the City Ground, according to reports this morning.

Football Insider claims that Chris Hughton has made the Scottish international his next target as he seeks to find a replacement for former Fulham midfielder Harry Arter before the end of the January transfer window. Reports on Friday suggested that McDonald, now 32, was considering calling time on his playing career and moving into coaching at Fulham having not received a concrete offer despite a number of Championship clubs having expressed interest in taking him on loan.

The popular defensive midfielder has not made a first-team appearance for the Whites since coming on as a late substitute in Fulham's 2-0 win over Cardiff last July and has spent time working with the club's under 18 and under 23s after being left out of Scott Parker's 25-man Premier League squad. A key part of two Fulham sides that won promotion from the Championship in the space of three seasons, McDonald has made 127 appearances and scored since goals in four and a half years at Craven Cottage.

McDonald, who has made more than 500 senior league appearances, would bring experience and quality to the Forest midfield with Hughton's side currently in twentieth place, just two points above the relegation zone. The former Sheffield United and Wolves midfielder would join Fulham loanees Anthony Knockaert and Cyrus Christie at the City Ground should he agree to make the move.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/forest-make-mcdonald-move/

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Abraham joins Raith Rovers
Raith Rovers have signed Fulham striker Timmy Abraham on loan.

The 20 year old Londoner has will stay at Stark's Park until the end of the season.

He is the third loan signing for the club in the January window, joining Kai Kenndy from Inverness and Adam King who signed on Friday frahamrom Dundee United.

6ft 1in Abraham, the brother of Chelsea and England striker Tammy, started his career at the youth academy of Charlton Athletic, before joining Fulham in 2017 where he has played in the U21 side.

Timmy has also spent time on loan at EFL League 1 clubs Bristol Rovers and Plymouth Argyle in the last year.

He said he had heard good things about the club from his Fulham team mate, former Rovers star Kieron Bowie.

"I'm looking forward to it," he told Raith TV, "It's a different type of football, a different environment – and different weather!

"I like to challenge myself so it's something I'm looking forward to. I've done a bit of homework so I know Raith like to play attractive football, they like to go forward a lot so as a striker hopefully I can get on the end of that."

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-striker-abraham-joins-raith-rovers-3118332

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland: UEFA CUP final in 2010 triggered downward spiral for Fulham

Brede Hangeland reckons that Fulham's descent to relegation inferno in 2014 began after the club made an unprecedented UEFA Cup final appearance four years earlier.

The Norwegian spent six years at Craven Cottage and was part of the Fulham side that left Bundesliga sides VfL Wolfsburg, Hamburg HSV and record Serie A winners Juventus in their wake before they came up short in the final against Atletico Madrid.

Former defender Hangeland, who retired in 2016 following a two-year spell at Crystal Palace, emphasised that reaching the final gave Fulham a false sense of security as he laid bare the club's mistakes and inability to build on that success.

The 39-year old, who is a respected pundit these days and currently covers the Premier League for Norwegian channel TV2 in his homeland, reflected on his time in SW6 and pinpointed the reasons for the club's fall from grace in the space of four seasons.

He said: "There was a lot of mistakes. We didn't perform well enough on the pitch and the club gradually got weaker since the European Cup final. A lot of people made big mistakes.

"The relegation in 2014 was very sad and the darkest memory not only in Fulham but in my football career. The way it ended when we got relegated after many good years was a dark moment.

"In 2010 we went to the European Cup final but we lost that, so that wasn't too good. The whole journey up to that final was good but my best memory is actually my first year when we almost got relegated. We had to win at Portsmouth on the last day and we did that, so that was important for me and important for the club. That's the best memory I have from Fulham."

On their way to the UEFA Cup final Fulham had inflicted a shock 4-1 defeat on Juventus after falling behind to an early David Trezeguet goal.

It is fair to say that in those days it wasn't the same dominant Juve side of today as the Old Lady had just begun their resurgence from the lowest point in their history, the Serie B, before they went on to reclaim their status as the best Italian team.

Only three years before that eventful tie Juve had still found themselves in the second tier of Italian football with the glorious Antonio Conte and Massimiliano Allegri years, the arrival of superstars such as Gonzalo Higuain, Paulo Dybala, Cristiano Ronaldo and Matthijs De Ligt, the nine consecutive Scudetti and the two Champions League finals still lying in wait.

But for Hangeland that doesn't take the gloss off their heroic achievement as he still dines out on what he and his fellow Cottagers pulled off on that memorable night.

"Our 4-1 win over Juventus is the greatest game I have ever played in. We were 1-0 down, so 4-1 on aggregate down after five minutes of the second leg and after that it was just an adventure and a fairytale for the rest of the game."

Hangeland has delved into the reasons for why his former Fulham team-mate Adel Taarabt hasn't quite managed to hit the heights everyone expected earlier in his career.

"He was a bit too relaxed in training but he was a nice guy who had fantastic ability on the ball. When I see him I always urge him to work a bit harder in training because he could be an unbelievable player."

But at AC Milan, where he spent the second part of the 2013-2014 season on loan, he found another gear and Hangeland admits that no eyebrows were raised his end after witnessing how the Moroccan set Serie A alight with the Rossoneri.

"I wasn't really [surprised] when I saw him flourish at AC Milan because it's a very different type of football in Italy and his skill, like I say, is fantastic so I can see why it was a good fir for him back then."

Hangeland recalled the dispiriting experience of going head-to-head with prime Didier Drogba when the west London derbies between Chelsea and Fulham took centre stage.

"The first Didier Drogba was the toughest opponent in the Premier League. In his early years at Chelsea in 2008, 2009, 2010 he was very good, the hardest player I faced, it was tough against him."

At weekends Hangeland locked horns with some of the world's best players in front of huge crowds, while after training during the week he often took the train back home like any ordinary person.

Whether that was at Motspur Park while at Fulham or in Beckenham, Hangeland was often seen walking to the station to catch the train home.

This clearly stood in stark contrast to the typical image of most Premier League footballers's habit of going to training with a flashy car but Hangeland didn't care what others did.

"It was the simple reason that it was quicker", Hangeland chuckled.

" I don't care about image or anything like that. I just wanted to get home the quickest way after training and driving in London is a nightmare. Sometimes I got recognised but it was not a problem because people in London were always nice to me."

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/brede-hangeland-uefa-cup-final-in-2010-triggered-downward-spiral-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

'Not this again' – Many Nottingham Forest fans react to emerging links with Fulham player

Nottingham Forest are interested in signing Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald, according to Football Insider.

Chris Hughton will be keen to add a new midfielder to his squad before Monday's transfer deadline, amid recent injury troubles.

Ryan Yates, Jack Colback and Harry Arter are all missing at the moment due to injury, with James Garner set to come in on loan from Manchester United.

The Reds recently missed out on the signing of AFC Bournemouth midfielder Dan Gosling, too, with the 30-year-old rejecting a move to the City Ground earlier this week.

ccording to Football Insider, Forest have now turned their attention to Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald.

McDonald – who made 18 appearances for Fulham last season – is yet to make an appearance for the Cottagers in any competition this term.

The 32-year-old is said to be exploring his options, with a host of Championship sides claimed to be interested in taking him on loan.

Forest have been linked with the Scottish midfielder in the past, and at the age of 32, his time at Craven Cottage looks to be coming to an end.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/not-this-again-many-nottingham-forest-fans-react-to-emerging-links-with-fulham-player/

WhiteJC

How can Parker fix our goal-scoring crisis?
In his debut piece, Louis Wishlade digs into our scoring struggles and offers up some solutions.

Parker's new system has been effective at taking points against bigger teams, but hasn't been able to "get the job done" against more evenly matched sides, with many citing a lack of goals. The system trades off possession and the attacking creativity created by a number 10 to increase defensive numbers. However, this has also meant dropping the club's only real striker. So, how can Parker fix this goal-scoring problem – both with and without Mitrovic?

Firstly, I believe that Parker's fluid counterattacking 5-3-2 system that has been used recently is a very valuable system against bigger teams. I wouldn't make sweeping changes to this, but instead look to improve our conversion rate to take advantage of the limited chances that strikers receive against such teams.

Utilising our current squad
Obviously, the best way to do this would be to bring in a fast and prolific striker, with the likes of Boulaye Dia, Mbala Nzola and Moussa Dembele linked in recent weeks. However, with a lack of money to spend, and time left to spend it in, it's becoming increasingly unlikely that we'll fulfil these criteria, with a loan deal of Josh Maja from Bordeaux currently the most likely outcome – if any. Therefore, we must find a way to improve the attacking output of this formation, whether we make new additions or not.

So, with the current squad, what adaptions could be made? Here's my take:

The main difference would be to use Bobby Decordova-Reid in the centre forward position. Cavaleiro has started here recently, but he's not been able to convert many of the chances that come to him. Bobby, on the other hand, is the team's top scorer despite having been deployed a wingback during multiple games this season, and he should be comfortable in this role, having been successful at Bristol City as a striker.

However, there would be an encouragement for the front three to rotate positions when attacking, keeping opposition defenders guessing on who to mark and how, much like Liverpool's front three at times.

There should also be a greater emphasis on the wing-backs overlapping. The idea being that the wing-back on the side of the attack would power up that side of the pitch, with the winger on that flank becoming an inside forward. This would create a front four, with two players attempting to infiltrate the box and convert any chances, while the others wait on the wings to pump the ball into the box. To ensure that they are not then caught on the counterattack themselves, the remining defenders would then become a back four, with one of the centre-backs moving into the full-back role. The box-to-box midfielder, namely Lemina or Reed, who plays beside Anguissa would remain halfway up the opposition half and attempt to block any passes or runs up the pitch into the Fulham half.

Anguissa's creative ability should also be exploited. He's best described as a 'segundo volante', a defensive-minded midfielder who works to win back the ball and press, but who also acts as a deep-lying playmaker, breaking the opposition's lines with powerful dribbles and runs as well as a wonderful array of passes. Zambo should therefore be encouraged to use his extensive technical and physical ability in both defensive and attacking situations, just like Mousa Dembele once did, to fix the system's lack of creativity. While he has no goals to his name in a Fulham shirt at the moment, we have already seen him attempt to pop one in from a distance, which is no bad thing, yet he can also perfectly drop a ball over the top of a defence and find the sweetest of through balls.

Utilising Mitro
Parker must also have a 'plan B', specifically to deal with smaller sides, as we have seen how his 5-3-2 has struggled to break down teams such as Brighton and Newcastle as it underutilises the increased possession that the team holds by failing to create a sufficient quality and quantity of chances. In the closing minutes of the Brighton game, Mitro's positive impact was clearly evident in a role where he could battle physical centre-backs, which smaller players struggle against, as well as creating and laying off balls to his teammates – particularly with the roll back to Bryan in the last minute. This, for me, underlined that Mitrovic is still an asset when used correctly, especially against teams such as Brighton, who played with three very tall and physical centre-backs against which Lookman, Cavaleiro and Decordova-Reid struggled.

Mitrovic has undoubtedly had a rough start to the season so far. He's endured a crisis of confidence after multiple missed penalties for both the Whites Serbia, as well as a lack of fitness too. However, his main problem has been that it's become abundantly clear that he does not fit into Parker's 5-2-3 fluid counterattacking system, which Fulham debuted against Leicester, as this system puts a heavy focus on pace when going forward, with Mitro lacking an element of mobility.

Therefore, any 'plan B' should be focused around Mitrovic and how to truly exploit his potential in the Premier League. To do this, I think that we should deploy a 4-2-3-1, with Mitrovic operating as a false nine, linking the midfield and attack as the creator for the team, while physically disrupting the opposition defence. To make this most effective, Mitrovic must be surrounded with players bursting into the box to take advantage of any balls he can knock down. Here's my suggested line-up and system:

For this reason, I'd place Lookman on the left wing, his natural side, and Decordova-Reid on the right, with both operating as inside forwards when attacking down their side. For example, if we were attacking down the right-hand side, Tete would overlap and become a winger with Decordova-Reid entering the box. The advanced midfielder behind Mitrovic, namely Loftus-Cheek or Cairney, would also enter the box to latch onto any balls, while Anguissa would stay on the edge of the box for any long-range opportunities.

The wing-backs would also focus on crossing in balls from deep, which Mitrovic is able to head towards goal. This is one of Mitrovic's strengths, with Tete's deep cross against West Brom leading to a heading goal from the Serbian. This is something that's much harder to defend against and we must utilise this strength more often.

To make sure that the team doesn't lose its counterattacking ability, when on the break, Mitrovic would swap with the shadow striker number 10 behind them who would rush up alongside the wingers and the wing-back whose flank is being driven down. This would allow the team to break quickly with three or four attacking players, with Mitrovic able to arrive for any second ball.

Other than a number 10 being added into the midfield mix, this would remain similar, with a box-to-box midfielder operating alongside Anguissa as a segundo volante. This is the same for the defence, which would operate with two centre-backs instead of three, taking out Aina in most situations due to the decreased opposition threat.

We have the talent in our squad to not only survive, but to thrive. It's just a case of making a few tweaks, depending on the opposition. What do you think that Scott should do?

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-01-30-how-can-parker-fix-fulhams-goal-scoring-crisis/

WhiteJC

West Brom: Galatasaray striker Mbaye Diagne joins on loan for rest of season

West Bromwich Albion have signed Galatasaray striker Mbaye Diagne on loan until the end of the season.

The Senegal international, 29, has scored 11 goals in 19 games in all competition for the Turkish side this campaign.

"It has been a long negotiation and finally we have found someone who can give us a bit more," said boss Sam Allardyce.

"But there's no guarantee he is going to switch it on straight away."

West Brom have also signed Scotland winger Robert Snodgrass from West Ham and goalkeeper Andy Lonergan in this window and Allardyce said their aim was to bring in two more players before the window closes at 23:00 GMT on Monday.

West Brom, who are currently 19th in the Premier League - eight points adrift of safety - have only scored 15 goals in 20 Premier League games so far this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55865824