Fulham
0-0
West Ham
Man Utd
3-3
Everton

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-0 West Ham United

This was the first time Tomas Soucek had been sent off since joining West Ham in July

West Ham manager David Moyes called referee Mike Dean's decision to send off Tomas Soucek "embarrassing" as the Hammers drew with Fulham - and missed a chance to move into the top four of the Premier League.

The Hammers ended with 10 men as Soucek was shown a straight red card for elbowing Aleksandar Mitrovic in injury time.

As the pair jostled for position at a free-kick, Soucek raised his elbow and caught the Fulham striker in an incident that looked accidental.

However, following a lengthy video assistant referee check, Dean was advised to check the incident himself, with VAR official Lee Mason telling Dean to look at Soucek's "clenched fist".

Dean, taking a few minutes to make his decision, repeatedly watched the incident on the pitchside monitor and eventually sent him off for violent conduct.

"I'm embarrassed for whoever has done VAR and I'm a bit embarrassed for Mike Dean - the level of referee he is, to make that decision," said Moyes.

"It was obvious to everyone it was accidental. He [Dean] obviously didn't see it and looked at the screen and I'm really embarrassed he chose to send him off.

"We want them to get the decisions right. I find it really difficult that someone back at Stockley Park [where the VAR officials are based] would not say 'this is accidental, let's get on with it'.

"It has come down to a poor refereeing decision and a poor VAR Stockley Park decision and we can't do much about it.

"It's unfair to the boy. I'm sure they will come up with enough excuses to justify the reason for sending him off."

Fulham boss Scott Parker agreed that Soucek, who will miss an FA Cup game against Manchester United and Premier League matches against Sheffield United and Tottenham, did not deserve to be dismissed.

"It probably was a bit harsh and the game is becoming very sterile," said Parker. "I don't think it was a sending off but that's the way the game is going."

In a quiet first half, both sides only managed one shot on target each - the visitors' Declan Rice having an effort saved by Alphonse Areola and Ivan Cavaleiro heading tamely at Lukasz Fabianski for the hosts.

West Ham's Vladimir Coufal then headed against the crossbar from Rice's cross from the left.

Tosin Adarabioyo could have given Fulham all three points but narrowly headed over from eight yards out as neither side could make the breakthrough.

West Ham would have gone above Liverpool with victory, but stay fifth, one point behind last season's champions, who host league leaders Manchester City on Sunday.

Fulham have now not won in 14 matches in all competitions, since a 2-1 victory at Leicester City on 30 November, and remain 18th - in the relegation zone.

'Worst decision ever' - Wright
Discussing the Soucek red card on Match of the Day, former England striker Ian Wright said: "The amount of times Mike Dean had to have a look at it.

"You have debates about the best goals, but there is no debate here - this is the worst decision I've ever seen. He is trying to move his arm."

Ex-Aston Villa striker Dion Dublin, also speaking on Match of the Day, added: "Mike Dean will be embarrassed - the decision is shocking. Soucek was trying to move his arm over the top of Mitrovic and stop him holding him."

However, former Blackburn forward Chris Sutton, speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, said: "I don't think Mike Dean is left with any choice. What does he do if he doesn't send him off?

"I think it was accidental, but whether or not it was accidental it was dangerous.

"Mitrovic did get caught. Can we have a go at Mitrovic for going down? I think Soucek caught him fairly strongly. I think the red card will stick."

Europe-chasing West Ham may be happy with a point
West Ham came into this match in a great run of form with seven wins in their past eight - and that one defeat was against Liverpool.

Although Fulham had the greater share of possession, the best chance fell to Coufal, but the woodwork denied the Czech defender his first goal for the club.

His countryman Soucek, looking for his ninth Hammers goal of the season, should have done better when he met Jesse Lingard's cross but could not keep his header down.

However, it has still been a great campaign so far for West Ham, who finished 16th in 2020-21, but are hoping to qualify for European competition for the first time since they finished seventh in 2015-16 under Slaven Bilic.

In the end, West Ham were hanging on and may regard this a decent point.

Fulham substitute Mitrovic shot wide late on, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek also missing two chances in the last five minutes for the hosts.

Fulham's lack of ruthlessness shows again
Fulham began the day eight points adrift of Burnley and Newcastle, although Burnley drew 1-1 against Brighton and nine-man Newcastle beat Southampton 3-2 to increase the pressure on Scott Parker's side.

But this latest draw keeps the Cottagers eight points from 17th and in grave danger of making an instant return to the Championship after winning the play-offs to get promoted last season.

When these sides met in November, West Ham won 1-0, but Fulham missed a glorious chance to equalise in injury time as Ademola Lookman's weak chipped 'Panenka' penalty was easily saved by Fabianski.

Fulham have won only two Premier League games this season - the joint lowest with bottom side Sheffield United

Lookman was one of Fulham's positives in a quiet first half at Craven Cottage as he twice created space for chances, but could not hit the target.

Fulham started the second half brightly as Bobby Decordova-Reid volleyed over and Loftus-Cheek, when played in by Lookman, shot into the side netting.

But once again Fulham's lack of ruthlessness in front of goal cost them as Adarabioyo headed just over and Cavaleiro missed the target when unmarked.

Manager Parker handed a late debut to striker Josh Maja, signed on loan from Bordeaux on transfer deadline day, and also brought on Mitrovic in an attempt to get what would have been only their third league win of the season.

They had chances too, but Mitrovic and Loftus-Cheek failed to take the opportunities on another frustrating day for the Cottagers.

Another London derby without a win for Fulham - the stats
    Fulham have failed to win any of their past four league games against West Ham (D1 L3), failing to score in three of those matches.
    Fulham are winless in their past 20 Premier League London derbies (D3 L17), with only Crystal Palace having a longer such run in English top-flight history (31 between August 1969 and March 1973). However, this was the first time the Cottagers have kept a clean sheet in a Premier League London derby since March 2013 (1-0 vs Tottenham), having conceded in each of their previous 28 such matches.
    No side has played out more goalless draws in the Premier League this season than Fulham (four - level with Manchester United).
    West Ham have won as many points this season in 23 games as they did in the entirety of 2019-20 (39).
    Only Burnley (12) have failed to score in more Premier League games than Fulham (11) this season.
    There were just three shots on target in this game, two for Fulham and one for West Ham, the joint-lowest tally in a Premier League game this season (level with three other games).
    Fulham (D8 L4) have gone 12 league games without a victory for the first time since April-September 2014, while it is their longest such run solely in the top flight since November 2007-January 2008 (a run of 12).
    West Ham's Jarrod Bowen (19) has been substituted on more occasions than any other player in the Premier League this season, whilst team-mate Andriy Yarmolenko (13) has made the most appearances from the bench in the competition this campaign.

'From start to finish we were superb' - what they said
Fulham boss Scott Parker told Match of the Day: "It's a tough one to take because I felt from start to finish we were superb.

"We had 20-odd shots and our finishing was probably the deciding factor. We caused them loads of problems. The players executed the plan superbly - we were a real threat.

"We know what the difference is at this level. This is a group of players working tirelessly and I saw that today.

"We need to get that win, we need something to drop for us."

West Ham boss David Moyes told Match of the Day: "We didn't play as well as we have been - sometimes the games can catch up on you quickly.

"Fulham were the better team - we cant deny that. I don't think the quality of our play was right from the start. Several things didn't work from the start."

What's next?

Fulham have a week without a match as they do not play again until Sunday, 14 February when they are at Everton in the Premier League (19:00 GMT).

West Ham play at Manchester United in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Tuesday (19:30), before returning to league action on Monday, 15 February as Sheffield United are at London Stadium (18:00).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55867140

WhiteJC

Post-West Ham Press Conference

Scott Parker felt Fulham's dominant performance against West Ham United should have been enough to secure the win.

The London derby ended in a goalless draw, but the Hammers would have been delighted to have got out of SW6 with a point, as was evident when manager David Moyes replaced their only striker Michail Antonio with former Whites defender Ryan Fredericks in the 74th minute.

"We were superb from start to finish," Parker said afterwards. "Build-up, the way we played, I thought the players executed very well how we wanted to cause them problems today.

"We probably just came up a little bit short in the final area, in the box, when you need to put the ball in the back of the net.

"I think it was 20 shots overall, two on target. I don't think you can dominate a game as much as we dominated a Premier League game today and not win it.

"Obviously we do sit here with a draw, but I'm very proud of my team, proud of the way they played.

"If you were a neutral watching this game, and this isn't me being disrespectful to West Ham or David in any way because they've been absolutely fantastic this year, but if you were a neutral watching that game I don't think you'd come away after 90 minutes thinking that we were a team that's fighting for our lives, or that we're a downbeat team. I think totally the opposite."

It wasn't the first time this season that Fulham have had the better of proceedings but been forced to settle for less than three points, and Parker knows there needs to be more of a ruthlessness in the final third.

"Of course it's a concern, it's been a concern for a little while now, and we understand that," he admitted. "It's a team and a group that have evolved massively, and we've taken some huge steps.

"The next challenge and the next step in this division, for a young team, a team that are developing, is the most important bit.

"And we all understand the most important bit, that's why forwards get the most money. It's the difference in games, and we just fall a bit short.

"I'd be much more concerned if we weren't creating the chances. We're creating ample chances, we're getting to the edge of the box very, very well, we're just not managing to convert them at the moment.

"And it's hard work again tomorrow morning, let's keep working on it, let's keep working on our technique of finishing, let's keep working on our decision making."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/february/Post-West-Ham-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Fulham remain in deep trouble after another draw

Fulham failed to make the most of a dominant performance at Craven Cottage, drawing their eighth Premier League match in 11 to remain eight points from safety.

Only two of their 20 shots found the target on the night as they searched for a first win in 12 league games, but the Whites started on the front foot with shots from Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Bobby Decordova-Reid blocked in the opening stages.

Shortly afterwards, West Ham's best chance of the first half came from a dangerous ball in by Aaron Cresswell, who posed a threat down their left flank at times, and a sliding Jarrod Bowen was inches away from converting.

The dynamic Ademola Lookman caused problems throughout when drifting into a more central role between the lines, and he pulled a shot narrowly wide following a promising counter 10 minutes from the break.

Fulham began the second half even more brightly as Decordova-Reid went close, volleying a lofted through-ball from Joachim Andersen over the bar, while Loftus-Cheek should have done better when sent through on goal – but his dinked finish only met the side netting.

Vladimir Coufal almost gave the in-form visitors the lead against the run of play, ghosting in and crashing a header against the top of the bar, before Tosin Adarabioyo, Lookman, and Ivan Cavaleiro failed to find the target with good opportunities.

The home side piled the pressure on as they bossed the last 25 minutes, sending on debutant Josh Maja and Aleksandar Mitrović, who flashed wide.

Tomáš Souček was harshly sent off for a stray arm as the heavy rain came down in stoppage time, but the deadlock could not be broken, leaving the Whites with a mighty survival challenge ahead.

Fulham: Areola, Tete, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Robinson (Maja 79), Reed, Lemina (Mitrović 79), Loftus-Cheek, Decordova-Reid (Zambo Anguissa 83), Lookman, Cavaleiro.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-remain-in-deep-trouble-after-another-draw

WhiteJC

Maja makes Fulham debut against West Ham United

The Nigeria international has made his first appearance for the Cottagers as a second-half substitute against the Hammers

Josh Maja has made his debut for Fulham following his appearance against West Ham United in Saturday's Premier League game.

The Nigeria international was brought on as a 79th-minute replacement for Antonee Robinson with the scores still tied 0-0 at Craven Cottage.

Despite scoring twice in 17 Ligue 1 games for Bordeaux, the 22-year-old joined the English top-flight side on loan with an option to make the deal permanent for the Super Eagle at the end of the 2020-21 campaign.

With Aleksandar Mitrovic struggling for form since Fulham's return to the Premier League, Scott Parker has been desperate to add a striker to his squad. Now, he has the youngster to count on in terms of goalscoring duties.

Following his arrival, manager Parker highlighted the qualities of Maja that he admired while expressing his confidence that he would grow at Craven Cottage.

"I think firstly, like all deadline days they do bring a little bit of drama. Very pleased with the signing of Josh," he said during a press conference.

"He falls into line with the sort of business we've done this year in terms of young talent with big potential.

"He's a very good finisher and it was clear we needed to strengthen in that area. We've got Aleks but he's our only real, recognised centre forward. Firstly, very pleased with that so hopefully Josh comes in and we can push him on.

"We tried to do some other bits, Josh King was that one. We tried and pushed but competing with Everton was a challenge and he decided to go there."

Maja could be handed his first start when Fulham travel to Goodison Park for a date with Alex Iwobi's Everton on February 14.

Failing to win any of their last seven games across all competitions, the London based outfit is in danger of getting demoted to the English second-tier. As it stands, they are 18th in the Premier League log having garnered 14 points from 21 games played so far.

Maja left Fulham for Manchester City before continuing his career at Sunderland – where he made his senior debut in the League Cup in September 2016.

He becomes the seventh African in Parker's team after Neeskens Kebano (Congo), Tosin Adarabioyo (Nigeria), Mario Lemina (Gabon), Ademola Lookman (Nigeria), Ola Aina (Nigeria) and Andre-Frank Anguissa (Cameroon).

https://www.goal.com/en/news/maja-makes-fulham-debut-against-west-ham-united/19i3pfkzuvjkr17mratvjknzaq

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-0 West Ham: Tomas Soucek given controversial red card

Thomas Soucek was sent off in controversial circumstances for West Ham against Fulham on Saturday evening.

The Czech midfielder accidentally caught Aleksandar Mitrović in the face with an elbow from a free-kick.

Mitrovic fell to the ground in a heap. Nothing was given originally.

VAR advised Mike Dean to have a look at the incident and, after viewing the monitor, Soucek was given his marching orders.

I'm sorry, but that's just never a red card.

There is no chance that Soucek has intentionally elbowed Mitrovic. It's certainly not violent conduct.

Gary Lineker summed the moment up perfectly, writing: "You have got to be kidding? That's not a red card in a million years. So clearly accidental. A nonsense."

He wasn't the only big name in the world of football to vent their frustration.

Jamie Carragher wrote: "What is going on! that's not a deliberate elbow!! FFS."

In another tweet, he added: "This red card for Soucek needs rescinding ASAP!"

While Peter Crouch joked: "My pointy elbows wouldn't stand a chance in today's game."

It certainly doesn't look good on Dean and VAR that they viewed that incident as a red card.

Fortunately for West Ham, the decision didn't have an impact on the final result.

The two sides were unable to find the net during the 90 minutes and the game ended all-square.

As things stand, West Ham will be without Soucek for three games, including for a trip to United in their FA Cup clash on Tuesday.

Let's hope Soucek has his ban overturned.

https://www.givemesport.com/1647357-fulham-00-west-ham-tomas-soucek-given-controversial-red-card

WhiteJC

Tomas Soucek controversially sent off at end of West Ham's stalemate at Fulham

Time is quickly running out for Fulham. Needing nothing less than victory to revive their survival hopes, Scott Parker's side passed up a series of opportunities that will only have increased their manager's feeling of frustration.

Up against a team that were hoping to match a club record of four successivestraight Premier League away wins, the former midfielder who was crowned the Football Writers' Association's player of the year in 2011 despite West Ham being relegated watched his side dominate for large parts without ever quite finding the killer blow.

Instead it was David Moyes who left west London feeling the slightly happier of the two managers despite a controversial late red card for Tomas Soucek, as his side kept up their impressive start to the new year and moved three points clear of sixth-placed Chelsea.

"It was an embarrassing decision," Moyes said of Mike Dean's call to send off the Czech midfielder after his elbow appeared to accidentally catch Aleksandar Mitrovic in the face. "I'm amazed Mike chose to do something with it. I don't think anyone in football management is convinced by the system we have at the moment."

Fulham's chances of avoiding relegation for the second time in three seasons look slimmer by the week as they stretched their winless run to 12 matches. Eight of those have been draws but after Newcastle's victory over Southampton and Burnley's draw with Brighton earlier in the day, Parker's side now find themselves eight points adrift of the last safe spot with only 16 games remaining.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek of Fulham reacts after a missed opportunity. Photograph: Simon Dael/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock

The visitors had scored at this ground in their last 16 visits and, given that Fulham had also conceded a goal in each of their last 28 London derbies, Moyes must have fancied his chances of recording yet another victory. But aside from a chance for Jarrod Bowen in the 12th minute when he just failed to connect with Aaron Cresswell's superb cross, West Ham's attacking players struggled to find their rhythm. Jesse Lingard provided a rare moment of quality just before the half-hour mark when his cross picked out Soucek but the Czech's header was way off target.

A flowing Fulham counterattack that featured a brilliant run infield from Ivan Cavaleiro ended with Ademola Lookman's shot from outside the area just missing the near post with Lukasz Fabianski beaten.

The former Everton forward looked the most likely source of a goal and it was his clever backheel that allowed Antonee Robinson to pick out Cavaleiro on the stroke of half-time, although his header was straight at Fabianski.

Any Fulham fans hoping for a change of fortune in the second half were left disappointed. Bobby Decordova-Reid could have made more of a brilliant pass from his captain, Joachim Andersen, but directed his volley just over the crossbar. Even more culpable, though, was Ruben Loftus‑Cheek, whose dinked finish after a defence‑splitting pass from Lookman missed by some distance when it seemed easier to score.

At the other end, Vladimir Coufal's header that skimmed the crossbar after a deep cross from Declan Rice was the closest West Ham came to finding a breakthrough against the run of play. Tosin Adarabioyo also spurned a great chance with his head as Fulham pressed forward, before Cavaleiro lifted another effort hopelessly over the bar soon afterwards. Even the introduction of Mitrovic and Josh Maja – the former Sunderland striker signed on loan from Bordeaux – could not provide the moment Parker so desperately craved, with Loftus-Cheek's shot in the dying minutes just inches away from deservedly sealing the points.

"We were superb from start to finish," said Parker. "I don't think we could have dominated the game any more than we did. We've taken some huge steps but the next one is the most important one."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/06/fulham-west-ham-premier-league-match-report

WhiteJC

Another draw for Fulham that does them no favours, as West Ham claim share of the Cottage spoils

Fulham (0) 0

West Ham (0) 0

Fulham continue to suffer a death by a thousand cuts. They can look classy and competitive but their lack of bite means it might not be enough to spare them the unforgiving tentacles of relegation.

They were once again good at hogging the ball and showing tidy touches, but when it came to the crunch, they could not find the all-important goal to give their rescue project greater credibility.

It was not for the want of trying. They kept pushing right to the end of match which ended in controversy – ref Mike Dean sending off Tomas Soucek for an off-the ball altercation with Aleksandar Mitrovic after a VAR check.

The cold facts are that the Whites have not won in 12 Premier League games since the late November win against Leicester City. It is also now 20 Premier League London derbies without a win – another stat they won't care much for.

Ordinarily, a draw against the high-flying Hammers would be no disaster. The Irons had won seven out of eight going into this one and are knocking on the door of European qualification. But Scott Parker's men are still eight points from safety and desperate for three-point returns.

The Whites had by far the better of it and should have forced a win.

Ademola Lookman probably still has nightmares about the last-minute Panenka penalty miss at the London Stadium earlier in the season when the Hammers won 1-0, and he appeared desperate to make amends right to the very end.

He got himself into good shooting positions on at least three occasions in the first half - a left-footer from 25 yards only just strayed off target, with Lukasz Fabianski sprawling to his left, while another rising effort just cleared the bar.

Once again, the Whites looked organised and capable of holding onto the ball for lengthy spells. But they also looked short of the devil you need in the final third to make it pay. 

Antonee Robinson's cross was met by the head of Ivan Cavaleiro but the lack of power summed up a lot of the home side's malaise.

The restart saw a Cavaleiro free-kick balloon up into the air off the defensive wall and out of harm's way, while Bobby Decordova-Reid volleyed a Joachim Anderson cross just over. 

Then, Lookman's neat pass into the left channel gave Ruben Loftus-Cheek a wonderful opening – but the on-loan Chelsea man lifted his chip wide of an advancing Fabianski.

Just past the hour, Vladimir Coufal almost broke the deadlock after connecting well with Declan Rice's cross from the left, seeing his header bounce off the top of the bar and out.

But the hosts still pressed more and came closest to stealing the win. Tosin headed a Lookman corner just over and another set piece won on the edge of the area was curled just wide of the wall and the post by Fulham's midfielder, who never stopped trying to make things happen. 

There was also another chance for Cavaleiro after Decordova-Reid had got on the outside of Aaron Cresswell, after good work from Kenny Tete, but a first-time shot was scooped over the frame. 

Mitrovic came on – along with debutant Josh Maja – and was soon firing a low shot just wide as the Whites tried to go for broke and Loftus-Cheek arrowed another shot just wide as the rain teemed down on a desolate Craven Cottage.

The Hammers ended the game with 10-men after an off-the-ball incident on the edge of the Fulham penalty area when Soucek was adjudged to have raised his hands against Mitrovic. But it came deep into injury time and too late to offer hope of a late victory.

Whites: Areola – Tete, Andersen, Tosin – Decordova-Reid (Anguissa 83), Reed, Lemina (Mitrovic 79), Robinson (Maja 79) – Loftus-Cheek, Lookman – Cavaleiro. Subs not used: Rodak, Hector, Ream, Bryan, Onomah, Aina

Hammers: Fabianski – Coufal, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell – Soucek, Rice – Bowen (Noble 56), Lingard, Benrahma (Yarmolenko 56) – Antonio (Fredericks 74). Subs not used: Balbuena, Lanzini, Fornals, Diop, Martin, Johnson

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/another-draw-for-fulham-that-does-them-no-favours-as-west-ham-claim-share-of-the-cottage-spoils

WhiteJC

Mike Dean & VAR face backlash again after controversial red card for Soucek

The West Ham midfielder was sent off after a tangle with Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic

Tomas Soucek was controversially sent off late in West Ham's 0-0 London derby draw with Fulham.

The Czech Republic midfielder was lining up to attack a free kick on the edge of the Fulham box when he tangled with Cottagers striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Referee Mike Dean was then summoned to the touchline by the VAR and, after reviewing the incident, sent Soucek off.

Why was Tomas Soucek sent off?

Soucek was trying to create space that was being denied to him by Mitrovic, and in a bid to get a yard of clearance he caught the Fulham man with his arm.

There did not look to be any intent. It appeared to be a case of Soucek keeping the Fulham forward clear of him, but Dean was given instruction to review the incident.

Dean took some time before returning to the pitch and brandishing a red card to the bewildered West Ham man.

Will Soucek's red card be overturned?

It seems almost certain that West Ham will lodge an appeal over the red card.

For VAR, it is another moment in the spotlight that football's governing bodies could do without. Slow motion replays tend to make things look worse than in real time, but even at half speed the incident seemed to be an accidental coming together of two players.

Should Soucek fail in any appeal, and a ban for violent conduct is confirmed, he will miss the trip to Manchester United in the FA Cup and Premier League games with Sheffield United and Tottenham.

What has Soucek said?

Following the match, Soucek posted his reaction to the red card on Twitter.

He wrote: "I spoke with Aleksandar Mitrovic in and after the game and he said to me that our duel was fair, I thank him for that. Unfortunately, the referee had different opinion.

"Anyone who knows me knows i would never mean harm to another player. I am sorry for this moment in the otherwise great season. Really nice fair play moment from Aleksandar."

What was the West Ham reaction to Soucek's red card?

West Ham boss David Moyes said: "It was an accidental coming together, which to give someone a red card for is an embarrassing decision. I am embarrassed that the VAR asked him to look at it, it was a simple accident and we should just get on with the game.

"I am disappointed. The referees can easily put a stop to this by saying we are not going to react to screaming or give soft free kicks but they seem to be frightened to say no."

West Ham defender Aaron Cresswell told Sky Sports: "He [Aleksandar Mitrovic] made a bit too much of it. It's frustrating to lose Tomas Soucek. He's a massive player for us. A huge loss."

What was the Fulham reaction to Soucek's red card?

Fulham boss Scott Parker said: "It probably was a bit harsh and the game is becoming very sterile.

"I don't think it was a sending off but that's the way the game is going."

How many red cards has Mike Dean shown in his career?

The red card for Soucek was the sixth that Dean has shown in 15 Premier League matches during the 2020-21 season. It also came just a few days after Dean sent off Alex Jankewitz and Jan Bednarek in Southampton's 9-0 defeat at Manchester United.

He also sent off West Brom's Kieran Gibbs in a 5-2 defeat at Everton in September, and dismissed Joao Moutinho and Douglas Luiz during Aston Villa's 1-0 win at Wolves in December.

Since taking charge of his first Premier League game in September 2000, Dean has refereed 524 matches, showing 110 red cards and 1,927 yellow cards.

Dean is the only referee to pass a century of red cards shown in the Premier League. Next on the list is Phil Dowd (67 red cards), followed by Mike Riley (66), Martin Atkinson (65) and Graham Poll (63).

https://www.goal.com/en/news/mike-dean-var-face-backlash-again-after-controversial-red/7jsv3xsec8ae1hr1v9swa1ps8

WhiteJC

Maja Makes His Premier League Debut As Fulham Equal Club Record With Draw Vs

Bordeaux loanee Josh Maja was handed his English Premier League debut by manager Scott Parker as Fulham were held to a goalless draw by West Ham United at Craven Cottage on Saturday evening.

The Nigeria international was brought on after 78 minutes, replacing Antonee Robinson for his first taste of action in the top-flight and his maiden game for Fulham following his deadline day move.

While Tosin Adarabioyo and Ademola Lookman went the full ninety for the home team, teammates Ola Aina and Josh Onomah remained rooted to the bench for the entirety of the game.

Lookman had a chance to open the scoring in the 36th minute but skidded his shot inches wide while Adarabioyo saw his header fly over after getting free from a corner.

Fulham failing to win at home yet again equaled their longest top division run of eight home league games without a win which was set in the early 1960s, leaving the Whites in deep relegation trouble.

One big talking point from the game was the red card shown to West Ham's Tomas Soucek in the seventh minute of stoppage time for apparent violent conduct.

Fulham are next in action when they travel to Liverpool to face Alex Iwobi's Everton on February 14.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38875

WhiteJC

Hammers hang on for a point

West Ham held on to take a point from their clash with Fulham on Saturday, despite ending the game with 10 men.

The truth of the matter is that the Hammers were lucky to come away with that, as the Cottagers repeatedly banged on the door but were unable to knock it down.

Fulham, of course, are battling relegation and it is easy to see why: They simply don't have the striker needed to put the ball in the back of the net.

That was to the Hammers' fortune, with David Moyes' men looking like they were running on close to empty in west London.

The biggest chances fell Fulham's way but the Irons did forge a couple of openings with decent crosses into the area, but Tomas Soucek was twice unable to get his head over it.

Soucek was then at the centre of a VAR debate in injury time as he appeared to raise his elbow towards Alexandar Mitrovic's head. He made contact and Mike Dean was sent to the VAR screen to look at the incident. He sent Soucek off.

One has to say that the decision was harsh and it didn't seem like the Czech wanted to make any contact with the striker. He is now set to be banned.

That will overshadow the game, and one has to think that there will be questions over whether the Hammers can appeal.

The game itself faded into nothingness as it wore on, as Fulham ran out of ideas, and it doesn't look the worst point the Irons have ever taken; they are still well in the hunt for Europe.

https://www.claretandhugh.info/hammers-hang-on-for-a-point/

WhiteJC

Fighting Fulham fail to finish off West Ham

There was a moment towards the end of this intriguing London derby that rather encapsulated Fulham's season so far. Ruben Loftus-Cheek lashed another presentable opportunity agonisingly wide and Scott Parker sunk to the floor, pausing on his knees, in frustration. His side had gradually cranked up the pressure on high-flying West Ham, coming to dominate proceedings, but they failed to find the winner that would have brightened their prospects of beating the drop.

At the start of the season, it was a generosity at the back that looked like being Fulham's undoing. For a few weeks, they looked like being the whipping boys of the division. Parker worked hard to remodel a side that looked fragile and far too open and, after a switch to five at the back, his charges became far tougher to breakdown. Whether they sacrificed some ambition only he could honestly answer – and the suspicion has always been that Parker is a risk-averse manager – and the limitations are now at the other end of the field. The lack of a predatory instinct now undermines the undoubted improvements the Whites have made over the past three months.

He could consider the fact that David Moyes replaced Michail Antonio, West Ham's only fit senior striker, with former Fulham defender Ryan Fredericks as the clock ticked down something of a compliment. The Hammers, who came to Craven Cottage on the cusp of the Champions' League places after picking up twelve points from their last five games, were well drilled and expansive in position but struggled to seriously stretch Alphonse Areola, with the French goalkeeper only called into action to save a snapshot from Declan Rice just before the break.

Parked eschewed his usual 3-4-3 formation for a back four but didn't include either Aleksandar Mitrovic or new signing Josh Maja in his starting line-up. That meant Ivan Cavaleiro led the line as he has several times since November as the emphasis shifted to a high-tempo pressing game and an attempt to nullify West Ham's brightest playmakers. That strategy largely worked with Said Benrahma substituted early in the second half and Jesse Lingard, who grabbed a brace on a brilliant debut at Aston Villa in midweek, anonymous for long periods. Jarrod Bowen, a regular thorn in Fulham's side, came close to touching home a devilish cross from Aaron Creswell but drifted in and out of proceedings.

Fulham were feistier than in the limp capitulation to Leicester and fashioned half chances of their own. Harrison Reed rescued a dangerous situation in his own box, beginning a swift break that culminated with Cavaleiro cutting the ball back for Lookman, who dragged a shot wide from 20 yards out. The lively Leipzig loanee then produced a gorgeous backheel to release Antonee Robinson down the left with the former Wigan full-back's floated cross headed straight at Lukasz Fabianski by Cavaleiro just before half time.

Belief must have been growing within a Fulham side that have mustered just two league wins all season that a third might not be all that preposterous. The versatile Bobby Decordova-Reid did well to latch onto a raking forward pass from Joachim Andersen but his shot was always rising and flew over the bar. That was a half chance, but Loftus-Cheek was much more culpable a couple of minutes later when he scampered onto Lookman's lovely defence-splitting ball and had time to lift a finish over Fabianski but only chipped into the side netting. Loftus-Cheek's most recent displays might be more promising but any uptick will count for little if Fulham continue to pass up such opportunities.

West Ham were gradually being penned back into their own territory. Tomas Soucek, who won an equally tight encounter at the London Stadium with an injury-time strike that had more than element of offside about it, powered a header over before Vladimir Coufal's far post header rattled the crossbar. Tosin Adarabioyo sent a free header just over the crossbar from a Lookman corner before Cavaleiro contrived to miss another golden chance, shooting wastefully over after Kenny Tete had won the ball back from Rice and Decordova-Reid supplied an inviting pullback.

Parker threw on Mitrovic and Mitrovic with ten minutes remaining and the pair prompted a prolonged period of Fulham pressure. The Serbian striker nearly had an instant impact, seeing one shot deflected wide, and then firing a venomous volley past the near post. Maja's only sight of goal came when he flicked on a Tete cross for Loftus-Cheek to head hopelessly over, but Mitrovic did turn providing – shielding the ball brilliantly to create space for Loftus-Cheek again, only for the Chelsea loanee to drive wide of goal.

There was late drama when Soucek was sent off for elbowing Mitrovic at a West Ham free-kick after Mike Dean had consulted the pitchside monitor, but the stoppage time red card came too late to significantly alter the contest. The point leaves still eight points from safety – and Parker will soon have to ditch his pragmatism in search of the sort of winning run that carried Roy Hodgson's men to their memorable escape in 2008. Gallant draws just won't be enough.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Areola; Tete, Robinson (Maja 79), Andersen, Adarabioyo; Reed, Lemina (Mitrovic 79); Decordova-Reid (Anguissa 83), Lookman, Loftus-Cheek; Cavaleiro. Subs (not used): Rodak, Aina, Hector, Ream, Bryan, Onomah.

BOOKED: Andersen.

WEST HAM UNITED (4-2-3-1): Fabianksi; Coufal, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Dawson; Rice, Soucek; Bowen (Noble 56), Benrahma (Yarmolenko 56), Lingard; Antonio (Fredericks 74). Subs (not used): Martin, Balbuena, Diop, Johnson, Fornals, Lanzini.

BOOKED: Ogbonna, Fabianski, Yarmolenko.

SENT OFF: Soucek (90+7).

REFEREE: Mike Dean (Cheshire).

VIDEO ASSISTANT REFEREE: Lee Mason (Lancashire).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/fighting-fulham-fail-to-finish-off-west-ham/

WhiteJC

Parker rues Fulham's poor finishing

Scott Parker bemoaned Fulham's powerpuff finishing as the Whites dominated in-form West Ham tonight at Craven Cottage but failed to find a winner.

The Fulham boss was pleased with his team's desire and organisation but familiar failings in the forward areas left his side having to console themselves with a point as they equalled a club record run of eight consecutive home top flight games without a win. Parker told his post-match press conference:

"We were superb from start to finish. Build-up, the way we played, I thought the players executed very well how we wanted to cause them problems today. We probably just came up a little bit short in the final area, in the box, when you need to put the ball in the back of the net.

"I think it was 20 shots overall, two on target. I don't think you can dominate a game as much as we dominated a Premier League game today and not win it. Obviously we do sit here with a draw, but I'm very proud of my team, proud of the way they played.

If you were a neutral watching this game, and this isn't me being disrespectful to West Ham or David in any way because they've been absolutely fantastic this year, but if you were a neutral watching that game I don't think you'd come away after 90 minutes thinking that we were a team that's fighting for our lives, or that we're a downbeat team. I think totally the opposite."

Parker admitted that another failure to find the net – the Whites have scored just seventeen Premier League goals all season – was a concern, but insisted his players would be working hard to solve the problem at Motspur Park tomorrow.

"Of course it's a concern, it's been a concern for a little while now, and we understand that. It's a team and a group that have evolved massively, and we've taken some huge steps. The next challenge and the next step in this division, for a young team, a team that are developing, is the most important bit.

"We all understand the most important bit, that's why forwards get the most money. It's the difference in games, and we just fall a bit short. I'd be much more concerned if we weren't creating the chances. We're creating ample chances, we're getting to the edge of the box very, very well, we're just not managing to convert them at the moment. And it's hard work again tomorrow morning, let's keep working on it, let's keep working on our technique of finishing, let's keep working on our decision making."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/parker-rues-fulhams-poor-finishing/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Do You Take A Point Or Is It Not Enough?

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our initial reaction show to Fulham's 0-0 draw against West Ham. Fulham changed the formation, but finishing their chances was the difference between a draw and a victory. You will hear that and much more on this episode.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/2/6/22270252/cottage-talk-full-time-do-you-take-a-point-or-is-it-not-enough

WhiteJC

Parker admits lack of firepower is costing Fulham

Boss Scott Parker says he remains concerned about Fulham's lack of clinical finishing after the stalemate against West Ham left them eight points from Premier League safety.

Despite dominating, the Whites found the target with only two of their 20 shots as their winless run stretched to 13 league matches.

Still, Parker was encouraged by his side's build-up play throughout.

"I thought we were superb from start to finish," he said.

"But we've come a bit short in that final area, when you need to put the ball in the back of the net.

"I don't think you can dominate the game as much as we've dominated the game today and not win it. But I'm very proud of my team and the way they played.

"If you were a neutral, I don't think you would have come away after 90 minutes thinking we were a team that was fighting for our lives or were downbeat. You'd think totally the opposite, really."

Striker Josh Maja, who was brought in on loan from Bordeaux on transfer deadline day, came on for his debut towards the end of the game alongside Aleksandar Mitrović.

The pair joined Ivan Cavaleiro, Ademola Lookman, Bobby Decordova-Reid, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek in attack as Parker looked to break the deadlock, but each of them missed golden chances to do so – which the head coach admits is a worrying sight in their fight for survival.

Parker added: "It's a concern that has been there for a little while now. We understand that. It's a team that has evolved massively and we've taken some huge steps.

"I would be more concerned if weren't creating chances. We're creating ample chances, getting to the edge of the box very, very well. We're just not managing to convert them at the moment."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-sees-good-and-bad-aspects-of-fulhams-display

WhiteJC

'We Dominated' - Fulham Star Lookman Expresses His Frustration After Draw

Fulham winger Ademola Lookman was understandably frustrated following the goalless draw against West Ham United at Craven Cottage on Saturday evening.

The 2017 U20 World Cup winner revealed that the Whites controlled the game but failed to convert their chances into goals.

Lookman had a chance to open the scoring in the 36th minute but skidded his shot inches wide while Adarabioyo saw his header fly over after getting free from a corner.

In the closing minutes, Chelsea loanee Ruben Loftus-Cheek and substitute Aleksandar Mitrović could have ended the evening as the match-winner but saw their shots go wide.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Lookman said : "We dominated but we've got to take our chances. We know what we need to do.

"All I can say is that we have to keep working hard. As a team we need to use this frustration as a fuel to keep performing.

"We need to win games and we need to score goals."

Fulham's draw leaves them eighteenth in the standings with 15 points, eight less than Burnley who are seventeenth.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38877

WhiteJC

Lookman frustrated with draw

Ademola Lookman was left frustrated after Fulham had the better of their London derby with West Ham but were forced to settle for a draw.

The on-loan Leipzig winger went close to breaking the deadlock himself on a number of occasions and looked like Fulham's most likely source of a goal. Lookman, who was named man of the match by summariser Alan Smith, told Sky Sports after the final whistle:

"We dominated but we've got to take our chances. We know what we need to do. All I can say is that we have to keep working hard. As a team we need to use this frustration as a fuel to keep performing. We need to win games and we need to score goals."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/lookman-frustrated-with-draw/

WhiteJC

Fulham fire blanks again

Yesterday's goalless draw with West Ham was ultimately another frustrating night for Fulham fans. Scott Parker's side were the more dominant force over the ninety minutes but once again couldn't put away their chances. Draws will do little to aid Fulham's predicament at the wrong end of the table and we must be getting to the point where even the Whites' manager will concede that upcoming fixtures fall into the must win category.

Parker did at least deviate from his preferred five at the back formation – for the first time in twelve weeks – preferring a back four and largely matching West Ham's 4-2-3-1. The personnel chosen might not have been adventurous enough for many supporters, however, with Aleksandar Mitrovic benched and Josh Maja only named as a substitute as Ivan Cavaleiro returned as a lone striker. An element of caution might have been understandable, given the way West Ham had swept aside Aston Villa in an impressive away win in midweek, and it was encouraging that despite sacrificing a defender, Fulham restricted West Ham to just eight shots – only one of which forced a save from Alphonse Areola.

Even if the focus was on a higher press and shackling the likes of Jesse Lingard, Said Benrahma and Jarrod Bowen in the forward areas, Fulham were far more creative than in the recent reverse at the hands of Leicester. Ruben Loftus-Cheek had a much more effective game, operating as a number ten behind Cavaleiro, pulling the strings from a number ten role rather than operating out wide. The Chelsea loanee thrived in the pockets of space he found centrally, as he had against West Brom a couple of weeks ago, and helped the hosts enjoy more of the ball as Fulham had 61% possesion.

This might well have been eerily similar to the 'Parkerball' of our Championship promotion season, with lots of pretty passing in front of the opposition and, in the end, precious little end project. But Fulham did muster twenty shots in total and the familiar failing of not hitting the target looks like it will come back to haunt them at the end of the season. Only two tested Lukasz Fabianski in the West Ham goal and you wonder how look it will be before Parker operates with one of Maja or Mitrovic up front from the outset – or even pairs them together, given how big a threat Fulham looked once they were both sent on with ten minutes remaining. Mitrovic as a focal point would certainly give opposition defenders more to think about, even if he doesn't possess the mobility that Parker probably desires in his main front man. It does feel like this system is crying out for a Callum Wilson-esque striker, one who combines pace with natural goalscoring ability and some experience of a top flight relegation battle.

Mitrovic's major combination was getting Tomas Soucek sent off in the dying seconds. That incident went to VAR deep into stoppage time, with Mike Dean opting to dismiss the Czech midfielder after consulting the pitchside monitor even though the elbow didn't appear intentional. The general consensus seems to be that the red card was harsh – something that Mitrovic seemed to tell both Dean and Soucek, despite staying on the floor after the incident. The Serbian striker certainly perked up Fulham's attack, having a couple of shots drift wide within a couple of minutes of coming on, and laying on another glorious chance for Loftus-Cheek.

The law of averages suggests that some of these shots have to go in eventually, surely? Fulham missed out on Josh King, who came on as a late substitute in Everton's thrilling draw at Old Trafford last night, on deadline day and Parker turned to Josh Maja late on, sending on the on-loan Bordeaux forward as they searched for a winner. The Nigerian international, back at the club where he spent some time as a teenager, still seems a little raw – but he linked the play impressively without really having a significant sight of goal and Maja will gradually get more game time as he steps up to match sharpness. Becoming more clinical up top is the final piece in Parker's puzzle, as the manager conceded afterwards, and the forthcoming trips to Goodison Park and Turf Moor – two places where Fulham traditionally struggle – would be good places to put things right.

How do you think that Parker can solve this? Would a more adventurous approach pay dividends? And, what did you think of Soucek's late red?

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/fulham-fire-blanks-again/

WhiteJC

The inside story of André Frank Zambo Anguissa- The Lion of Yaoundé

This is the story of the boy from Yaoundé who is now at Fulham and continues to make his home country proud.

Djibrilla Alain still remembers seeing his former protege, André Frank Zambo-Anguissa, for the first time like it was yesterday.

They were in the G8 talent camp in Yaoundé, Cameroon.

'What struck me first about him was his technical ease with the ball,' he tells First Time Finish exclusively.

'He arrived[At Coton Sport] with little experience of this level of competition.'

It is Anguissa's technical ease and down-to-earth attitude that has helped him to greater success in life and in football. From Yaoundé to Garoua, then to France with Reims and Marseille, to his present life in the south-west of London.

From earning the trust of Rudi Garcia and Marcelo Bielsa to becoming Scott Parker's trusted midfield general – it has been a long and arduous road for the lion from Yaoundé.

First Time Finish exclusively spoke to his first coach in Cameroon at Coton Sport, Djibrilla "Coach Weah" Alain to discover his beginnings in football.

Rooted in Yaoundé
Yaoundé is the capital city of Cameroon and has been home to several important athletes over the years. Now the city has another son making a name for himself in Anguissa.

'Football is prevalent in the life of the people of Yaoundé. There are many clubs in the capital from the country. Teams from youth sides to professional clubs and amateurs as well,' says Djibrilla.

'The biggest clubs are Canon and Tonnerre. Two clubs from which many Cameroonian internationals have come through. Among others are Roger Milla and Thomas N'Kono.'

Djibrilla, who himself has spent over 19 years at Coton Sport, first spotted Anguissa as a 17-year-old during the G8 talent camp held in 2013.

'The G8 talent is a competition for young players which brings together the best players from training centers across Cameroon. It is organized by Mr Maxime Nana, a FIFA player agent. The managers of the training centers of several European clubs are present during the competition. It is the most important camp in the country,' he explains.

Learning curve
Though, before he became a lion, he had to overcome a difficult moment early on in his career.

'I remember that once he back from the national youth team selection, European recruiters came to Garoua to supervise him. Unfortunately for him, the coach did not sign him on the day,' recalls Djibrilla.

For a young man who had only just taken his first steps towards professional football this was a harsh reality to face.

Thankfully though, Anguissa had the support of Djibrilla to carry him through.

'He was really downhearted and in tears by the end of the match,' said Djibrilla.

'I had to comfort him at length to calm him down and make him realize that he had the whole future ahead of him.'

The future ahead took him to Coton Sport, where he had first taste of pro football.

Moulded at Coton Sport
As a youngster, it is very important to have the right sort of environment around you to enable growth. Anguissa's parents valued his education and ensured that he remained focussed in terms of his academics as well.

'For his family, studies were the priority', recalls Djibrilla.

While initially they had some doubts , once Frank signed for Coton Sport it didn't take long for his parents to embrace their son's talent for the sport and to support his career.

'As Frank was disciplined and his talent began to be recognized, they allowed him to pursue his dream.' explains Djibrilla.

With Les Cottoniers in Garoua, Anguissa was in the right place for his development. However, it was a test of patience and endurance for the young Cameroonian at first.

Growing into his own
At 25 and entering his prime years at Fulham, Anguissa is very much a midfielder who has grown in most facets since his time at Coton Sport.

The Cameroonian has come a long way. At the very beginning, things were not always easy.

'He had to really fight to win at Coton sport,' recalls Djibrilla.

Anguissa needed needed to grow physically and practise patience in order to get his chances. But he never shied away from competition.

Djibrilla still remembers Frank's fighting spirit and determination to make it.

'The memory I remember first is his hard work and his will to succeed.'

That exact mentality is now paying dividends at the highest level of the game as he excels in the Premier League with Fulham.

Torchbearer in midfield
'Indeed it is his technical ease that struck us at first sight. There is also his skill when he had the ball. His overall quality of play, his passing and generosity in his efforts to help his team-mates. It was all very impressive,' recalls Djibrilla.

Djibrilla wasn't the only one who was impressed by Anguissa's ability with and without the ball. A certain Argentine manager was also awed by his ability. .

He had to work extra hard to prepare himself for Bielsa's methods by working closely with one of the managers' assistants, as this piece by Peter Rutzler from the Athletic reveals his subsequent efforts paid off.

'In fact when I arrived at OM, Marcelo Bielsa was still the coach for two weeks. El Loco saw me as a 10 or 8. I'm more of a dribbler, but the coach asks me to play simple not to carry the ball. I try to play as simple as possible to gain confidence', recalled Anguissa, in an interview with le10sport.

Having been a late comer to the professional game, Anguissa's skills were mostly self-taught. His ability to adapt is thus mightily impressive.

'He always liked to play in the middle. In defence or as the torchbearer,' recalls Djibrilla.

'He admired the very technical midfielders who can bring out the ball cleanly. Here in Garoua, he mostly played as the no.6.'

Flash forward to the present Anguissa is now a box-to-box midfielder capable of offering useful qualities in attack as well as protection at the back. At Fulham, he does this either alongside Mario Lemina or Harrison Reed.

At Marseille, he revealed his personal admiration for Yaya Toure and hoped to model his playing style after him.

'He[Yaya Toure] inspires me. He collects balls, is 'box to box' and scores goals. He's the ideal model.'

There are some similarities between Anguissa and Toure quite visible in his performances at Fulham. Much like Toure's displays at Manchester City included powerful carries from the midfield into dangerous areas, Anguissa similarly uses his abilities to help Parker's side progress the ball.

Although he hasn't been able to replicate the robust Ivorian's goalscoring instincts, Anguissa's numbers suggest that there is a great deal of similarity between him and his role model.

Numbers at Fulham backing it up
Fast forward to the year 2021, and Anguissa is producing some incredible numbers in a Fulham side battling in the relegation zone.

Scott Parker's system allows Anguissa the freedom he needs to progress the ball vertically with his powerful carries. He also tracks back when his team needs him to. Both these aspects are very much reflected in his numbers.

According to the numbers from Football Reference, Anguissa ranks 3rd for tackles won and interceptions made in the Premier League, only behind Manchester United's Fred and Chelsea's N'Golo Kante. Averaging 3.86 tackles and interceptions per match in the league.

It is, of course, a figure skewed by the amount of defensive work Fulham are required to do, given that they don't enjoy the greater amount of possession in most games. Nonetheless, it is a healthy indicator of his defensive work ethic.

In terms of ball progression and dribbling, Anguissa performs quite nicely. In terms of progressive carries, he is in the top 15 in the league with 5.86 progressive carries achieved in the league per match.

Technical ease shining through
Not only that, the progressive distance he covers with those carries is substantial as well. His progressive distance covered via carries of almost 138 yards per match is only bettered by 8 players in the league.

There's been a lot of praise for Tanguy Ndombele and his displays for Tottenham Hotspur this season and rightly so. But, Fulham's own midfield catalyst isn't too far behind him in terms of dribbling prowess.

If we look at players dribbled past per match, Anguissa ranks second in the league, beating 3.26 players on average with his dribbling, just behind N'dombele who is on 3.65.

Anguissa has also shown the ability to pick out good passes this season. Even though he may not be particularly renowned for it.

'I still have in my mind that superb assist he made against Manchester United', says Djibrilla.

It was quite a good one too. Anguissa received the ball near the half way line and spotted Ademola Lookman's run beyond Manchester United's defence. Upon receiving the ball with his left, he lofted a beautiful lob pass to play Lookman through on goal for Fulham to score the first in a 2-1 defeat.

Another occasion where he showed his strength was in the 4-3 defeat against Leeds United early in the season.

Receiving the ball to feet from his defenders, Anguissa anticipated the press from Kalvin Phillips instantly and then shrugged him off with his sheer power and a clever side-step. He then set up Bobby de Cordova Reid with a nicely executed through pass into space to nick a goal back for the visitors.

It was another example of his strengths as whole. Ability to dribble past his marker, ride the physical challenge and execute the final pass.

Room for improvement at Fulham and beyond
Djibrilla has kept a close eye on Anguissa's career since leaving Cameroon.

'Since his departure from Garoua he has continued to improve. I think he's having a great season this year with Fulham. He is consistent in his performance. His defensive contribution is good and he contributes offensively too.'

At 25, Anguissa has shown an incredible amount of consistency in his displays at Marseille, Villareal and now Fulham. It's a sign he can progress even further and establish himself at an even higher level.

While he does have room for improvement, Djibrilla has faith that Anguissa's grounded and humble character will stand him in good stead in the future.

'Given his age I think he still has a lot of room for improvement. The Premier League is a very tough championship, even the best, yet every season he keeps improving his game. I think his passion for football and his education will help him to move on to integrate into some of the best clubs in the world.'

Even today, Anguissa remains in close contact with Djibrilla and has not forgotten his roots.

"He is a very grateful youngster who is always connected with whom he has encountered during his career. Despite the distance we always stayed in touch even now exchanging from time to time to get the news."
    – Djibrilla Alain on Anguissa

With plenty of time and support on his side from people around him, it is certainly an exciting prospect to see where Anguissa's career takes him next. For now though, he will certainly be focused on his team-mates at Craven Cottage cement their status in the Premier League for another season.

The Lion from Yaoundé continues to dominate on the pitch and win hearts, long may he continue to do so.

https://firsttimefinish.co.uk/2021/02/07/inside-story-zambo-anguissa-pride-of-garoua-fulham/

WhiteJC

Everton, Fulham join West Ham in race for £10million Championship man

Both Everton and Fulham are interested in West Ham United target Adam Armstrong, reports The Sun on Sunday (07.02, pg. 60).

The Blackburn Rover striker has scored 18 goals in all competitions this season. Last night, The Sun reported that West Ham were keen on the striker, having considered an £8million offer in the last window.

Rovers want at least £10million for the 23-year-old though.

The Sun on Sunday now claims that 'other' clubs are interested in Armstrong – Everton and Fulham – but that both mentioned clubs only see Armstrong as a 'squad man' at the moment.

Formerly of Newcastle United, Armstrong has made his name with Blackburn having signed midway through the 2017/18 season from Bolton Wanderers.

Last season saw him burst into form though – he netted 16 Championship goals in 46 outings last time round, having netted 17 in the league this time round.

He's a dynamic forward who loves to run from deep, either latching onto a through ball in a typical Tony Mowbray counter-attack, or putting the defenders under pressure.

He looks a player who's destined to make the step-up to the Premier League sooner or later but with three clubs now interested, it could spark a bidding war.

Blackburn will be desperate to keep hold of their star man but they know that to do that, they'll need Premier League football. Rovers currently sit in 8th-place of the Championship table but need 6 points to go level with 6th-place Bournemouth.

Armstrong could yet fire Rovers into the top flight, at which time the club could either cash in for what's likely be a much healthier fee, or try and persuade him to stay.

https://the72.co.uk/220300/everton-fulham-join-west-ham-in-race-for-10million-championship-man/