News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What is a Director of Football ? (video)

Started by Matt10, February 11, 2021, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

I was genuinely curious what the role of a DOF was. There seems to be those who are experts in this topic, yet based on this video, it seems to not be as crystal clear.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to share:

RaySmith

Interesting Matt.

Shows that the DoF's role isn't that clear, but they usually seems to experts in the world of business, rather than 'football men', and   one main role is to provide 'continuity' in signing players and playing style and philosophy, when the manager changes  so frequently, and each manager might have his favourite players and  playing style, which changes when the new man comes in, unlike in the past, when the manager was more directly involved in transfer spending.

filham

We never had one before TK so I guess we are learning how to leave with such a creature.

Hard to think of one that would have survived with Brian Clough as manager.

toshes mate

I would guess that the breadth and scale of potential appointees for a particular high expectation job is governed by a very complex mechanism involving many, many variables, which may include 'fashion' in its time related meaning and 'objective' in the eyes of those responsible for the selection of the successful appointee.  There may also be many and varied 'cultural' attributes, both local and not so local, too.     

I doubt that the higher levels of football management are very different to this general rule and there is a tacit admission in games (e.g. computer simulations) which are said to echo life's challenges that alongside the many more obvious requirements for the job randomness plays its part too.  How far does randomness affect results and how well do computers (let alone human beings) cope with randomness? 

And given all this occurs in circumstances that cannot be played out in a parallel universe to compare the differences in two potential candidates it seems somewhat trite to think a short video is going to crack the code open or even begin to describe the methods involved to even begin deciphering it.   

Matt10

Quote from: toshes mate on February 12, 2021, 03:10:18 PM
I would guess that the breadth and scale of potential appointees for a particular high expectation job is governed by a very complex mechanism involving many, many variables, which may include 'fashion' in its time related meaning and 'objective' in the eyes of those responsible for the selection of the successful appointee.  There may also be many and varied 'cultural' attributes, both local and not so local, too.     

I doubt that the higher levels of football management are very different to this general rule and there is a tacit admission in games (e.g. computer simulations) which are said to echo life's challenges that alongside the many more obvious requirements for the job randomness plays its part too.  How far does randomness affect results and how well do computers (let alone human beings) cope with randomness? 

And given all this occurs in circumstances that cannot be played out in a parallel universe to compare the differences in two potential candidates it seems somewhat trite to think a short video is going to crack the code open or even begin to describe the methods involved to even begin deciphering it.

That's the purpose of the video. It gives a snippet of understanding to the role. Education, what have you. I just found it interesting how it's not just one set certain way, and I also found it interesting how DOFs are in place to ensure the club's culture throughout the many managerial changes experienced.

Matt10

Quote from: RaySmith on February 12, 2021, 04:47:37 AM
Interesting Matt.

Shows that the DoF's role isn't that clear, but they usually seems to experts in the world of business, rather than 'football men', and   one main role is to provide 'continuity' in signing players and playing style and philosophy, when the manager changes  so frequently, and each manager might have his favourite players and  playing style, which changes when the new man comes in, unlike in the past, when the manager was more directly involved in transfer spending.

That's a good point. I was wondering how some clubs operated without a DOF. That probably solidifies the driven culture home much more. I believe that's what I've seen here in my own community where the sporting director of our MLS side took over the role of head coach, but is also the sporting director for the club. 

filham

Well Fulham have always operated with a Chairman and a Manager but I guess if the chairman goes AWOL a cloned Director of Football is needed.

toshes mate

Quote from: Matt10 on February 12, 2021, 06:02:59 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on February 12, 2021, 03:10:18 PM

That's the purpose of the video. It gives a snippet of understanding to the role. Education, what have you. I just found it interesting how it's not just one set certain way, and I also found it interesting how DOFs are in place to ensure the club's culture throughout the many managerial changes experienced.
The conundrum existed from the time people managed things that got too big for one person to handle presuming that any one individual knew their own limits.  But the poiint I am making is that randomness dictates not just bigger things but how every individual behaves.   Many of these random events are invisible or outside our framework of understanding - a fact explained in earliest cultures by superstition or religion e.g. don't go into those caves because many who enter never come out again.  DOF's (among a whole host of other 'leaders') may indeed appear to maintain 'club culture' but what if the culture is purely a belief, religion, superstition which is not understood or based in reality because it is just a random residual artefact of an action?   Without clear understanding of the purpose of an owner's wish to have a Director of Football then how can you deal with it as anything other than an arbitary name given to a person who is just another 'director' or 'executive' in an organisation which may or may not be functioning efficiently or purposefully when there it is unique and without potential to be replicated?