more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The cricket

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, February 09, 2021, 11:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Twig on February 09, 2021, 03:15:16 PM
Great performance by England and that devastating over from Anderson was up there with the best I've ever watched.  BUT, please England could you spin it out a bit longer into day 5 next time. I got up expecting at least a couple of hours of cricket and had to make do wit 15 minutes!
why not do what I did and record it? Led to an enjoyable and relaxing morning.     

In all the euphoria, and accepting that India played poorly and England well  let's not forget that winning the  toss gave England a huge advantage.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fulham Tup North

I also like the fact that Mr Leach carried his bat... well done him 👍🏏
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 09, 2021, 08:00:12 PM
Quote from: Twig on February 09, 2021, 03:15:16 PM
Great performance by England and that devastating over from Anderson was up there with the best I've ever watched.  BUT, please England could you spin it out a bit longer into day 5 next time. I got up expecting at least a couple of hours of cricket and had to make do wit 15 minutes!
why not do what I did and record it? Led to an enjoyable and relaxing morning.     

In all the euphoria, and accepting that India played poorly and England well  let's not forget that winning the  toss gave England a huge advantage.

Saying that it's a huge advantage is completely irrelevant  Winning the toss or losing it happens in every match, No doubt England have lost matches they could have won if they had not lost the toss. That goes with the territory. England won the match because they were the better team, it is as simple as that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Dodgin

Like the shots on the stumps flying.

Penfold

I can understand the rotation slightly as they want to save players for T20 and one dayers. However, I think that during the summer, we should be working on as settled a test line up as we can.

Also good to see that there have been some excellent 5 day games recently - one in the eye for those suggesting test matches should be reduced to 4 days.

gang

The one day team and the five day test team involve quite a few different players; the difference between the two types are enormous.

Penfold

Quote from: gang on February 10, 2021, 10:57:18 AM
The one day team and the five day test team involve quite a few different players; the difference between the two types are enormous.

I agree, but Buttler and Bairstow are regarded as integral to the one day team so are getting a break from test duty.

G_Gribby

Old days.

Two cricket matches with important status were held on Parsons Green in 1731 and 1733. The first was on Tuesday, 10 August 1731 between Fulham and Chelsea, Fulham winning.The second was on Tuesday, 26 June 1733 between the same two teams and played for a substantial prize of thirty guineas, although the result is unknown.

(30 Guineas should be £ 9000 according to website Costly Coins)
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Slaphead in Qatar

According to Wikipedia:

It is generally believed that cricket originated as a children's game in the south-eastern counties of England, sometime during the medieval period.[4] Although there are claims for prior dates, the earliest definite reference to cricket being played comes from evidence given at a court case in Guildford on Monday, 17 January 1597 (Julian calendar; equating to 30 January 1598 in the Gregorian calendar). The case concerned ownership of a certain plot of land and the court heard the testimony of a 59-year-old coroner, John Derrick, who gave witness that:[6][7][8]

'Being a scholler in the ffree schoole of Guldeford hee and diverse of his fellows did runne and play there at creckett and other plaies.'

Slaphead in Qatar

So England 1-0 up and decide to rest 2 of their best players - Butler and Andersen.  The Andersen resting is after finding out Joffra Archer is injured for the game.

I am confused.com

Brawn

Mo*en A*i recalled. Excuse me whilst I defenstrate myself.

Even if you think they should have dropped Bess (I don't), why not Parkinson or Virdi? Personally A*i would be my #7 choice spinner. That's not saying he should be my number 7 - that's saying I have 6 spinners before him (Leach, Bess, Parkinson, Batty, Virdi, Rashid).

HV71

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 10, 2021, 02:38:46 PM
According to Wikipedia:

It is generally believed that cricket originated as a children's game in the south-eastern counties of England, sometime during the medieval period.[4] Although there are claims for prior dates, the earliest definite reference to cricket being played comes from evidence given at a court case in Guildford on Monday, 17 January 1597 (Julian calendar; equating to 30 January 1598 in the Gregorian calendar). The case concerned ownership of a certain plot of land and the court heard the testimony of a 59-year-old coroner, John Derrick, who gave witness that:[6][7][8]

'Being a scholler in the ffree schoole of Guldeford hee and diverse of his fellows did runne and play there at creckett and other plaies.'

Yes - there is a plaque on the original building of the free school ( Royal Grammar School - Guildford ) commemorating the fact

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Brawn on February 12, 2021, 06:32:01 PM

Even if you think they should have dropped Bess (I don't), why not Parkinson or Virdi? Personally A*i would be my #7 choice spinner. That's not saying he should be my number 7 - that's saying I have 6 spinners before him (Leach, Bess, Parkinson, Batty, Virdi, Rashid).

Moeen bowled Kohli for a duck, but now Moeens getting a pasting

alfie

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 12, 2021, 06:26:27 PM
So England 1-0 up and decide to rest 2 of their best players - Butler and Andersen.  The Andersen resting is after finding out Joffra Archer is injured for the game.

I am confused.com
Buttler has returned home, unsure why.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: alfie on February 13, 2021, 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 12, 2021, 06:26:27 PM

I am confused.com
Buttler has returned home, unsure why.

It's part of a pre arranged team rotation policy

ron

The umpires are on a hat trick this morning. Just seen two of the worst decisions of all time.

Somerset Fulham

That wasn't great really, not on a pitch that has already fallen to pieces.  We'll do well to get a draw here, especially playing against the officials too.

Cambridge Pete

Had a coach Dave Gibson (Ex Surrey bowler and coach) Whilst doing NCA coaching award he always pointed out the one rule of Cricket. "The Umpire is always right and when the umpire is wrong refer to rule one"

Deeping_white

Quote from: Brawn on February 12, 2021, 06:32:01 PM

Bess is a spinner that doesn't even land the ball, most of his deliveries are yorkers or full tosses, with the other half mostly being half trackers. He lands maybe 1/15 that are really good deliveries, and got a fiver for based on some truly awful shots in the last game as opposed to good bowling. I can't believe you've got such hatred against Mo, who was the last England spinner to take a hat-trick FYI. Also proved today that he can turn the ball with better accuracy than Bess, and he also was more economical than Leach's first innings and Bess' second innings last game so if you come back with "he went at four an over" in response to this post, just putting it out there already.