more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 13/02/21...

Started by WhiteJC, February 13, 2021, 12:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

How can Fulham win at Everton

The opportunities to record season-salvaging runs are starting to run out. No rational Fulham fan would tip the Whites to beat Everton on Sunday, firstly, because Carlo Ancelotti's side are a formidable Premier League outfit when on form and secondly because success would be history making. The Whites haven't won at Goodison Park in half a century and, with just two wins in the league all campaign, it would a significant turn up for the books. So, how can Scott Parker's charges end their thirteen match winless run and spring a surprise on Sunday?

First of all, lets take a look at Ancelotti's side. The knowledgeable and experienced Italian, who has made such an impact since taking over at Everton, likes to set his side up in a 4-2-3-1 formation, which transitions into a 4-3-3 when on the attack. Everton's side is built upon a solid backline, with former Manchester United trainee Michael Keane usually partnered with Colombian international Yerry Mena, forming a physical and defensively sound centre back duo who are capable of passing the ball out from the back. On either side of them are Seamus Coleman and Lucas Digne, full-backs who are once again defensively solid but who also offer an attacking presence when going forward, providing a real threat from set plays and in crossing situations.

Ancelotti usually deploys two deep-lying midfielders in front of his back four, who are asked to win back possession and create opportunities from deep. Aboulaye Doucoure has become something of a permanent fixture since his move from Watford in the summer alongside either Tom Davies or Andre Gomes, who seem to rotate regularly. The classy and creative number ten is usually James Rodriguez, who still seems like a clever capture from Real Madrid and has posed problems for plenty of Premier League defences, but Ancelotti can also call upon Gylfi Sigurdssson if necessary.

Where Everton are now much more potent than in the past is in the final third. Richarlison offers a real threat venturing in from the left or operating alongside Dominic Calvert-Lewin, whose finishing has come on leaps and bounds under Ancelotti. Calvert-Lewin, who combines athleticism with excellent technique, is also a big threat in the air and Fulham don't need to be reminded of Everton's goal threat. In the reverse fixture at Craven Cottage, the Toffees scored classical counter-attacking goals but also found the net by simply passing their way through the Fulham midfield. Even if Scott Parker's defence has improved since the start of the season, they will need to be at their very resilient best to come close to getting a result this weekend.

There is a twist in the tale as well. Calvert-Lewin was substituted during Everton's epic FA Cup win over Spurs earlier this week with a suspected hamstring injury. The in-form forward is therefore unlikely to line up against the Whites this weekend. Step forward Josh King, the suspect of a very public tug of war between the two clubs on transfer deadline day before he opted to move to Merseyside. The stage is set for him to open his Everton account with the winner, isn't it?

Countering Everton's adventurous line-up and nullifying their wealth of talent is a serious challenge. Here's how I think the Whites should line-up:

I would suggest that Parker reverts back to his 5-2-3 formation for this fixture, with the 4-2-3-1 system seemingly more suited to other upcoming fixtures such as Burnley, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace – which remain must-win matches if the Whites are to have any hope of avoiding the drop. Nobody could serious place Sunday's game in that category, but Fulham will need to take something back to London with them and I believe that the five at the back is the best option as it eliminates a number of defensive vulnerabilities.

Fulham's wing backs, well experienced in this formation by now, should be able to pin back Everton's wingers – reducing the threat of the low crosses from which the Toffees scored twice at the Cottage. It would also help to prevent Everton's wingers from being able to deliver any high balls into the box, meaning that any aerial vulnerability is limited. The three centre backs would also be able to outnumber any conventional Everton forwards, especially in Ancelotti's preferred lone striker system. Deploying three centre backs should also help to cut out through balls from midfield, something Everton have thrived upon before.

Parker's midfield pairing, which will likely be Anguissa alongside either Lemina or Reed, should also sit deep when defending, just in front of the central defenders. Ideally, this would prevent the Everton number ten, likely to be Rodriguez, from exploiting any space between the lines, inhibiting their creativity and cutting off the majority of the service to the centre forward. This should mean that Everton may have to resort to long shots, a riskier proposition that produces far less expected goals than shooting from within the 18-yard box.

Fulham should look to soak up the pressure and wait for Everton to make mistakes to win back the ball before counter-attacking with speed – a strategy that we have seen employed fairly successfully, especially when the Whites surprised Liverpool at the Cottage before Christmas. Whilst I have no magic fix for Fulham's goal scoring problems, the recent return of Kenny Tete to the side should free up Decordova-Reid to once again become an attacking asset to the side, rather than one placed into a defensive role.

Another question is that is it time for Josh Maja to start? Nobody outside of Parker's coaching staff can know just how well the new signing has progressed in training and if he is ready to start yet, it is surely worth the punt. Maja provides the pace that Cavaleiro does up top, whilst he should hopefully also be able to convert the chances that he is given, as a natural striker. Besides, even if it does go wrong, there is always the option of bringing a replacement off of the bench and giving Maja some more time to settle in.

Fulham must start winning games. I appreciate that Everton may seem a big task due to their quality. However, the performance against the Hammers, who are in better form and in a higher league position than the Toffees, shows that Fulham are capable but simply missing the final product. Time is running out for Fulham to really mount their survival challenge, with just 15 Premier League games remaining. Could a first win in 53 years at Goodison, and 13 Premier League games, kickstart the push for survival – similar to how Maja's goal against Fulham in 2018/19 put the fire in the team's belly to go 23 undefeated to earn a play off place? Could it be fate that a Josh Maja goal kickstarts a Fulham survival push?

How do you think that Fulham should line up at Goodison on Sunday?

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/how-can-fulham-win-at-everton/

WhiteJC

Christie: We have to be clinical

Cyrus Christie said that Nottingham Forest need to be clinical against Bournemouth on Saturday as they look to continue their run of form.

Forest have lost just once in the last 10 league games but now face a tough challenge against a Bournemouth side battling for a top-six berth.

Christie said that the squad go into the Saturday lunch time clash full of confidence though and he knows that it is these games that they need to win to start pushing up towards the top end of the table.

He said: "We have had a good run, it is one loss in 10, so it has been a better turnaround than previous months. We have done well in the new year and it is about maintain and sustaining that to keep mounting pressure up the league and get as many points as we can.

"The table looks a lot healthier now and it is a crazy league when you think about it, we are only eight points off Middlesbrough at the minute so it is not too far. We have some tough fixtures coming up but with the way we have been playing, we are full of confidence at the minute, we have got some new boys in who have lifted the spirits and throughout the season it has just been fine margins, when we have been a little bit off it.

"In recent weeks it has started to turn for us, we are starting to take our chances and defensively, for most of the year, we have been pretty solid in keeping out chances but it is just vital mistakes that have cost us."

He added: "These are the games that you need to win if you want to be up at that end of the table. The last time we played against Bournemouth we got off to a bad start, then we settled into the game and Lyle had a chance, if he scores that then it could have been a different game. But it is ifs and buts, it is all in hindsight and the same against Swansea, I thought we played well against them when we played them at home but they got the goal and won and the same against Norwich.

"We want to put things right now, we are going into these games on the back of a good run, we are confident and we can take that confidence into the game, we can play our game and take our chances as that is what you have to do against the big boys. They will probably limit our chances and we have to be clinical, at both ends of the pitch.

"We are on a good run so we need to maintain that, keep it going as it has been looking more positive in recent weeks. A couple more wins and we can be looking at the table thinking that you never know what can happen."

https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/2021/february/cyrus-christie-pre-bournemouth/

WhiteJC

Ashley Thompson: 'My experiences of the Fulham academy left me considering suicide'
Thompson endured unfair and bullying treatment, but continued to chase his dream until failing to win a contract almost broke him

For Ashley Thompson, the years of academy football in his early teens remain some of the fondest of his life.

From the little leagues, to Wimbledon, to Fulham: the thrill of it, the love of playing football with supremely talented team-mates, considered some the country's best.

Yet how, then, did it come to pass that by the age of 18 Thompson had severe depression and suicidal thoughts?

How is it that his mum, Lynda, was so afraid after he was released by Fulham that she would take days off work because she feared if she left home in the morning that when she returned her son would no longer be alive?

Thompson came forward to speak to i about his experiences in academy football after reading former team-mate Max Noble's interview in which he detailed racism, bullying and threatening behaviour. How Noble suffered severe depression and anxiety as a result of his treatment. How he, too, considered suicide.

Thompson's story has similarities to Noble's, but it is also uniquely harrowing in a way that is personal to him. And is another example of a boy failed by a system many believe is broken.

Thompson remembers life at Fulham's academy changing when he was 16 years old and had left school to become a full-time scholar. That was when the life of a boy full of light and love for football turned dark.

First, the day before he was due to fly to Austria for a preseason trip he was called into a meeting and informed he would not be going. OK, he thought, it was a blow, but he would keep working hard. When he asked if he could have back his clothes and belongings that had been flown over in advance, he was told he would have to do without for the week.

"As far as I was concerned I was training the same as everyone else," he recalls. "I had no physical problems and they said, 'No you're not going,' very nonchalantly, very blasé. I wasn't sure why. I had to deal with that, fine. I was devastated but had to get on with it."

Yet something felt "strange", he says.

Not long after, Thompson developed a cut during a Saturday game and it became infected. Around midnight that night, with his condition worsening, Thompson's mum took him to A&E. "I was in agony," he says.

He was prescribed antibiotics, but nobody knew he was allergic to penicillin. It made him ill and brought him out in a rash that covered his body.

Thompson was unprepared for what would happen next. On the Monday, when he told the club initially they berated him. Then he was made to stand in front of his team-mates in the gym and had his rashes pointed at while they explained this is why players should use team doctors.

"I felt self-conscious and they made a point of me and put me in front of everybody. It was very aggressive. It's horrible for a 16-year-old to go through.

"At that point in time, as it was happening, I thought: This is awful. But then afterwards I thought: No Ashley, you need to do better, we need to get this contract. You almost brush past it. When I look back I think that shouldn't be allowed."

His next offence? Late trains. And this is when things took a turn.

Thompson was around "five minutes late" for a team meeting due to delayed trains. He had sprinted from the station to the training ground, entered the meeting room shyly, apologised. He was screamed at in front of everyone, called a "waste of space". The humiliation continued in the same manner afterwards. Later, he was sent home. As far as Thompson was concerned he was a 16-year-old who had been the victim of the trains not running on time.

"For maybe six months it was absolute hell and I remember feeling at certain points: Why me? What has happened now? It was a dark time for me."

Thompson left the training ground and burst into tears. When he returned home he told his mum what happened. Lynda had wanted several times to speak to Fulham about the way they were treating her son, but Thompson pleaded with her not to, afraid that if she did the coaches would hold it against him. This time she'd had enough.

"My mum was very much: No, something is going on here, I feel like my child is being bullied and I don't like it. But I'm trying to stop my mum from supporting me because the people who should be supporting me are the ones doing it."

The meeting lasted around 20 minutes, Thompson sinking further back into his chair with every passing second.

"I lost my rag a little bit," Lynda says, but adds that she "was very professional. I work in an office so I know how to articulate myself." She pointed out that if that behaviour happened in her office someone would be up on a disciplinary. She says her son received an apology, although she was not convinced by it.

Thompson was part of the group of players who had their attitudes questioned after losing successive games and told their punishment would be that they would not be allowed to train or play, nor use the canteen. Instead, sandwiches were placed on a tray on the floor of a muddy changing room after it had been used by other players, and they had to eat lunch in there.

Initially, they felt like "cheeky schoolboys" wondering what would happen but knowing "we're all in it together"," Thompson recalls. Yet as time passed it became apparent they were not all in it together. The white players were allowed to train with the reserves and eat in the canteen, while the black players were not. At the time, Thompson did not realise the implications of that, but finds it questionable looking back.

On another occasion, after a match at Motspur Park, the squad – around 15 of them – were queuing outside a classroom for a meeting when a member of the opposition team threw a banana at a group of black players. A group of opposition players laughed and walked off.

"It just got brushed over," Thompson says. "We kind of moved passed it. But again you look and think: that's awful. The messages that sends is almost like if and when these things do happen just don't worry about it, just get over it. We did. I can't speak for anyone else but once it happened I remember being absolutely shocked that it happened, looking for a bit of support, looking for an adult to look and say is this as bad as I think it is."

The Premier League can find no record of the incident being reported to them, although it was pointed out that it was a number of years ago and their staff have since changed.

"I do want to stress, there was never any direct racism aimed at me," he says, but adds, "It's so scary to think a lot of the reason we're doing that is we as kids know these people hold our futures in their hands. That is a really scary thought. In any other walk of life we know that's not acceptable, at that age I'm more than aware that if I'm walking down the street and someone would've thrown a banana at me I know that's not acceptable. But in that area there I'm looking for somebody else to support and there is no support in that way. So it's like: OK, I guess we've all just got to accept that's what happens in football, and it shouldn't be that way.

"They basically hold our careers in their hands. I lost count of the times, one of the favourite sayings was if you guys don't want to listen to what we say you can go and work in Tesco or Sainsbury's. You hear that as a kid and think I want to listen to what you guys have to tell us to do and do it. As an adult you look at it and say: That's not a way to coach, if you guys don't listen to us you leave. Holding that power over these kids is a very dangerous thing."

'What am I meant to do with my life?'
"I'm really sorry if I break down but I'm literally back there now," Lynda Dennis says, her voice cracking. "When he got released I just watched this amazing child of mine die. He shrivelled in front of me. He became a recluse."

That is how dangerous this kind of relationship can be.

Thompson was not offered a professional contract. He had struggled with injury towards the end and was vaguely expecting it. Even so, he was under the impression Fulham would help him find another club and support him. That was, he says, the last he heard from them. "I suffered massive depression afterwards."

Thompson became obsessed with checking his emails and his phone for messages. Waiting for that contact to arrive from Fulham – a little note to check he's OK, perhaps notifying him of a trial or meeting. He is still waiting. Back then he even sent emails to Fulham, just to remind them he was still there.

"All of a sudden I'm 19 years of age and I have no idea about what I'm doing, I have no idea about life, I have no idea about anything. What am I meant to do with my life? It was a very scary time.

"I've spoken with my family about this. I have a young nephew who is on the verge of going through the academy system, it was such a scary time for me I hate the prospect of him going through it. When you see the stories of some of the other academy kids who sadly haven't been able to battle those demons and have taken their life. I understand it. I get it. It's an awful place to be, with no support."

Lynda remembers her son staying up until the early hours playing video games every night simply to exhaust himself enough to sleep. "He wouldn't eat, he wouldn't do anything," she says. "Every morning I went into his room to check he was breathing. Every single morning. I took days off work because I thought I can't go to work because he's going to kill himself. Today's going to be the day he's going to do that.

"I'm his parent – I'm supposed to protect him. And I feel as if I sold his soul to the devil. At the age of 10 he couldn't sign a contract. I had to sign that contract for him to join a club."

Fulham's investigation into their academy continues. "We condemn bullying, racism and discrimination in any form and work hard to ensure that they have no place here," a statement released to i said.

"The club is investigating and to date has found nothing to support the historic claims. The club will liaise with all relevant parties as the process continues and has reached out on numerous occasions to the former players concerned, but is yet to receive a response."

Thompson says his family support was phenomenal, but even they could not "help with the fact I don't know what the word rent means, or what a mortgage is, or what's going to happen with my bills. I felt very silly. One of my biggest embarrassments was going to the job centre and them asking what am I good at and me not knowing how to answer that, at the age of 19."

Lynda worked for Ugg Australia at the time and the chief executive told her to bring her son in and they would give him a job. "I will always be grateful to that company for saving my son's life, because I couldn't do it alone," she says.

Lynda read the interview with Noble and cried "because it brought a lot of the stuff back to me. Max sums it up perfectly: it's grooming. Them boys were being groomed. Whether it was intentional or not, to me it's irrelevant. Those were adults who knew better and they should never have allowed some of the stuff to happen, let alone be the perpetrators of such horrendous treatment.

"These are things these boys didn't know were wrong. They felt it was a bit strange, but they're kids and they're being told to do something by an adult. Not only that, the adults that are telling them to do this are the adults that hold their dreams in their hands."

Like Thompson, Lynda does not believe there was direct racism "but there were little things that said, yeah, race has an importance here".

They are terrified of the prospect of Lynda's grandson joining the academy system. They think their experience is neither isolated at one club, nor an issue consigned to the past.

"This is football, this is a hidden, dark, dirty secret, that football has been able to hide for God knows how many years," Lynda says. "I don't believe it started with this age group, with the Max Nobles and the Ashley Thompsons. This came before that.

"It needs to be out there – anything we can do to stop the next generation going through the same thing."

She adds: "He's still trying to find what he can do, what his career is, still lost. He wants to start a family but he's scared because he hasn't got a career. It goes so much deeper than just saying this is a career for these boys. No it's not. This is a complete and utter lifestyle they've been sold and then there's nothing at the end of it. They're telling them a lie."

The one told to Thompson as he parted ways with Fulham runs deep. "I'm still waiting for an email from Fulham to help me."

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/ashley-thompson-fulham-academy-mental-health-premier-league-869442?ITO=newsnow

WhiteJC

Carlo Ancelotti confirms Dominic Calvert-Lewin will miss Everton's clash with Fulham

Everton vs Fulham

Everton are set to face off with Fulham in a Premier League clash on Sunday evening.

The Toffees will head into the weekend's action sitting 7th in the English top-flight table.

And though their form has been slightly patchy of late, Carlo Ancelotti's side are in a great position when it comes to fighting for a European place.

At present, Everton sit just three points behind 4th placed Liverpool.

However, the Blues boast two games in hand on all of the sides above them, barring Manchester City.

In turn, should they pick up wins in both outings, they could potentially move as high as 3rd in the table.

As for Fulham, they are looking increasingly likely to be dealt a swift return to the Championship.

Scott Parker's side are down in 18th place in the Premier League, having won just two games all season. They are also eight points adrift of 17th spot.
Calvert-Lewin out for Everton vs Fulham

Carlo Ancelotti held his pre-Fulham press conference on Friday afternoon.

Both Everton and Fantasy Premier League fans were no doubt keeping a keen eye on developments at the press conference, in anticipation of an update on Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

The forward has been immense for Everton this term, notching 13 goals and two assists in 20 PL outings.

However, during the Merseysiders' FA Cup win over Spurs in midweek, he was forced off.

As a result, fears had since spread that Everton's star man would miss out on Sunday.

And, as confirmed by Ancelotti a short time ago, Calvert-Lewin will indeed be unavailable for selection to face Fulham. The Everton boss is hopeful of having his key attacker back for the club's clash with Manchester City on Wednesday, though:

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/carlo-ancelotti-confirms-dominic-calvert-lewin-will-miss-evertons-clash-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Pre-Everton Press Conference

Scott Parker says his players may have to "go back to basics" as we aim to become more clinical at the top end of the pitch.

Fulham fashioned 20 attempts on goal last time out against West Ham United, but were forced to settle for a 0-0 draw.

And when asked what factors need to be considered to improve that prowess in front of goal, Parker said: "I think there's elements of psychological, and there's elements of technical.

"The psychological element is you often find strikers are under the most pressure. And you often find that strikers or forward players are the ones who have real dips in form because there's that psychological element.

"For me, in my position, I need to keep a real level on it, and to be able to do that, I often find that you have to have some real basics to fall back on.

"When you're going through a little bit of a hard time in front of goal, you need some real core fundamental basics to fall back on.

"And that's my point to the team now, and it's not just the forward players and the midfield players, even the defenders. Set-plays as well; we need to be more clinical, we need to chip in here with some set-play goals, which we've not managed to do a lot of.

"But to be able to do that, you need to strip it all back and get back to basics, and hold your game on some real core fundamentals. Me sitting here trying to help the players, I need to weigh up both [psychological and technical factors] really.

"We're creating chances, now we need to work out where we can actually convert them."

Sunday pits Parker and his side against Carlo Ancelotti's Everton, and it's clear that the Fulham boss holds his Italian counterpart in the greatest esteem.

"He's a manager who I've got nothing but admiration for," Parker said. "He's had an incredible career, seems a real classy man, who goes about his business in a real classy and dignified way, very professional.

"I don't know him personally but that's the impression I get. And of course, to win what he's won over the course of his career speaks volumes, so he's someone I look to and admire."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/february/Pre-Everton-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Mawson suffers new knee injury

Alfie Mawson suffered an impact injury in Wednesday's Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round tie against Sheffield United that caused a medial ligament tear in his knee.

The centre-back has returned to Fulham to assess the extent of the injury to his knee. Mawson had been out of action for 10 weeks earlier this season due to an injury to his opposite knee.

Chris Martin has had successful surgery on his hamstring and started his rehabilitation that will take approximately 12 weeks.

Everyone connected with the club wishes Alfie and Chris well in their recoveries.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/mawson-suffers-new-knee-injury/

WhiteJC

Parker unsure when Fulham duo will return

Scott Parker is reluctant to put a time frame on the return of Tom Cairney and Terence Kongolo, but admits it will be some time before either are available.

Speaking at a news conference on Friday afternoon, the Fulham head coach was cagey about captain Cairney's knee problem.

And while defender Kongolo is back in training, he's nowhere near a first-team appearance.

Parker said: "Tom is on the way back, but the injury he's got is a temperamental one and a bit day to day.

"Knowing exactly where you are? That's pretty hard. But there is a progression and hopefully he can get back to help us."

Kongolo has had a litany of injuries, limiting the Netherlands international to a mere 67 minutes of action in just over a year.

But Parker refuses to rule out the end of his season.

"He's now training with us. Initially it was modified training, but this week he's stepped in with the group," Parker said.

"Terence has been out for such a long time with his broken foot and then he got a minor injury with his rehab.

'We're very wary about rushing him back. That process is going to be slower and no doubt he's going to need some games with either the Under-23s or in house after that.

"As long as the progression is as it has been, and the games go OK, then he can be back (before the end of the season)."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-unsure-when-fulham-duo-will-return

WhiteJC

Everton v Fulham

Everton top scorer Dominic Calvert-Lewin has scored 13 goals in 20 Premier League appearances this season

TEAM NEWS

Everton will be without top scorer Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who suffered a minor hamstring strain on Wednesday during the FA Cup win over Tottenham.

Goalkeeper Jordan Pickford remains sidelined but James Rodriguez and Andre Gomes are both fit.

Fulham are weighing up whether to increase Josh Maja's involvement after his brief debut last week.

Tom Cairney and Terence Kongolo remain the only absentees, according to head coach Scott Parker.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Everton were not short of firepower in Wednesday's 5-4 FA Cup win over Tottenham but it will be interesting to see how they shape up in attack without Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

They should still be too strong for Fulham, though. Scott Parker's side got another useful point against West Ham last weekend, but their long wait for a league win stands at 12 games and counting.

Prediction: 2-0

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Everton have won 22 consecutive top-flight matches against Fulham at Goodison Park - the longest home winning run in top-flight history.
    A Fulham draw or defeat would ensure they equal the Football League record of 28 successive winless matches away to a particular opponent. The Cottagers have drawn four and lost 23 of their previous league trips to Everton in all divisions.
    Fulham's only victories at Goodison Park both came in the FA Cup - one of them being on Valentine's Day in 1948.

Everton

Everton's tally of 37 points is their third highest after 21 matches of a Premier League campaign.
    They are winless in three home league matches, drawing once and losing twice.
    Manager Carlo Ancelotti could fail to win in four home league games for the first time since December 2007.
    Only four of the Toffees' 11 league victories have come at Goodison Park.
    They have won just one of their past six home league games against promoted sides, drawing once and losing four.
    Ancelotti is unbeaten against Fulham as a Premier League manager, winning four and drawing once.
    Seven of James Rodriguez's eight league goal involvements have been in home games.

Fulham

Fulham are on a club record-equalling run of 12 Premier League matches without a win, with eight draws and four defeats.
    Scott Parker's side are unbeaten in four away fixtures, drawing all of them.
    They have won just one of their past 34 matches against the six ever-present Premier League sides, losing 30 times.
    Excluding own goals, Fulham have had a league-low seven different scorers.
    Scott Parker's first points as Fulham boss came in a 2-0 home win over Everton in April 2019.
    Ademola Lookman has been involved in six league goals this term, with three goals and three assists. Lookman scored one goal in 36 Premier League appearances for Everton between 2017-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55967798

WhiteJC

Fulham can replace Aleksandar Mitrovic with Adam Armstrong

Fulham have been touted with an interest in Blackburn Rovers striker Adam Armstrong recently, and if the former Newcastle United man were to join the Cottagers, it could bring an end to Aleksandar Mitrovic's time with the club, especially with Fulham having been reportedly open to offers for the 26-year-old in January.

According to The Sun a number of Premier League clubs including Fulham, West Ham and Everton are tracking the 24-year-old striker as he continues to impress in the Championship.

This season has seen the forward bag 17 goals in just 26 Championship appearances for Tony Mowbray's side; resulting in a superb 7.17 average rating.

This is the same amount of goals as Fulham have managed in the top-flight this season, with goals having proved to be hard to come by for Scott Parker's side this season, with Bobby Decordova-Reid currently the top scorer for them in the Premier League with just five goals to his name.

Last season saw Mitrovic help fire the Cottagers to promotion with 26 goals in the Championship but he has just two goals in 18 top-flight appearances so far this season, with Parker often preferring to play Reid or Ivan Cavaleiro up front instead of the Serbian international.

Parker has shifted his team to more of a counter-attacking outfit, which suggests that Mitrovic's days with the East London club may be numbered, as he simply doesn't have the pace or work rate to play in a counter-attacking side.

Armstrong meanwhile, loves to run in behind and play on the last man, suggesting that he would be a good fit in this Fulham side, and his potential summer arrival could spell the end for Mitrovic.

Back in 2018, Armstrong earned the praise of teammate Richie Smallwood for his form in League One, with the midfielder saying:

"He's a special player with the ability to hurt any team in this league."

It is hard to see the £9m-rated Armstrong staying in the Championship next season if Blackburn don't earn promotion, so Tony Khan should definitely try and bring him to Craven Cottage if Parker can steer his side clear of relegation this season.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-news/fulham-aleksandar-mitrovic-adam-armstrong-cottagers-scott-parker-tony-khan

WhiteJC

Super Eagles Striker Maja Names One Big Advantage Fulham Have Over Everton

Josh Maja believes Fulham have a key advantage over Everton ahead of their Premier League clash at Goodison Park on Sunday evening.

The Super Eagles striker has pointed out that the potentially tired Toffees players have less time to recover following their pulsating 5-4 victory over Tottenham Hotspur in the Emirates FA Cup on Wednesday night.

On the other hand, Fulham have not been in action since they faced West Ham United on February 6.

Although manager Scott Parker's side have played fantastic football this season and are hard to beat, Maja has returned to the Cottagers a slightly funny time as they are battling to beat relegation.

The Bordeaux loanee is feeling positive ahead of the trip to Merseyside and confident Fulham can get a result against Everton.

"I am feeling positive. Obviously a good side, got a win yesterday, they played extra-time so hopefully they can feel a bit of fatigue from that and we can go into it feeling confident, feeling energetic, feeling positive and hopefully we
can come away with three points," Maja said on Fulham Fix : Episode 16.

Maja has come back to Fulham after previously spending three years at the academy and the Nigeria international admitted that he's delighted to be part of the first team.

"It was quite strange coming back, I was part of the academy so I was there for three years and it was very good years and I enjoyed developing, enjoying the coaching and growing up with friends, so it was very enjoyable time and it's obviously special to be in the first team now because at the time I wanted to make it happen and it's obviously happened, so I'm excited to see where it leads."

Maja played the last eleven minutes on his Premier League debut as Fulham were held to a goalless draw by West Ham United.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38941

WhiteJC

Scott Parker admits Fulham 'pressure' at Everton and sends Carlo Ancelotti message

Scott Parker has asked his team to be more clinical at Everton but praised Carlo Ancelotti

Scott Parker has admitted Fulham are under pressure to score goals ahead of their visit to Everton on Sunday.

Former Charlton Athletic and Chelsea midfielder Parker also revealed his admiration for the 'dignified' Carlo Ancelotti ahead of the two meeting in the dugout this weekend with Fulham eight points adrift in the relegation zone.

The Cottagers have scored three goals in their last seven matches in all competitions and Parker, who watched his side create 20 attempts on goal in the deadlock with West Ham United last week, has told his team to be 'more clinical' at Goodison Park.

The 40-year-old said: "The psychological element is you often find strikers are under the most pressure. And you often find that strikers or forward players are the ones who have real dips in form because there's that psychological element.

"For me, in my position, I need to keep a real level on it, and to be able to do that, I often find that you have to have some real basics to fall back on.

"When you're going through a little bit of a hard time in front of goal, you need some real core fundamental basics to fall back on.

"And that's my point to the team now, and it's not just the forward players and the midfield players, even the defenders. Set-plays as well; we need to be more clinical, we need to chip in here with some set-play goals, which we've not managed to do a lot of.

"But to be able to do that, you need to strip it all back and get back to basics, and hold your game on some real core fundamentals. Me sitting here trying to help the players, I need to weigh up both [psychological and technical factors] really.

"We're creating chances, now we need to work out where we can actually convert them."

Ancelotti guided Everton into the FA Cup quarter-final in midweek while victory would see his side continue their challenge for Champions League football next season.

Parker said of the Italian: "He is a manager who I've got nothing but admiration for.

"He's had an incredible career, seems a real classy man, who goes about his business in a real classy and dignified way, very professional.

"I don't know him personally but that's the impression I get. And of course, to win what he's won over the course of his career speaks volumes, so he's someone I look to and admire."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fulham-scott-parker-pressure-19829595

WhiteJC

Exhaultant Everton face struggling Cottagers

As the euphoria of Wednesday's mad 5-4 win over Tottenham subsides Everton prepare to take on struggling Fulham in the Premier League on Sunday evening.

The Cottagers will not be relishing a trip to Goodison Park as incredibly the west London side have never beaten Everton at the grand old lady in league football, although one of their two cup wins came on Valentines Day in 1948 so maybe history might repeat itself on Sunday!

And if the Toffees have their shooting boots on again as they did on Wednesday they will be even less likely to look forward to the trip.

However, while the home team did score eight goals in their last two matches against Manchester United and Spurs they also conceded seven as well.

Going forward the Blues will need to defend better particularly at set-plays than they did on Wednesday although that's not a particular strength of Fulham.

The Toffees defensive vulnerabiltiy is a significant issue and one that manager Carlo Ancelotti has to wrestle with and solve.

I've said I think that Ancelotti needs to restore the solid defensive line-up that has served him and the Toffees so well over the past few months.

There are some real positives to talk about as well. Tom Davies was outstanding in the win over Spurs and at the time of writing with Allan still uncertain to be fit and ready to return, he can hopefully continue providing that defensive cover in central midfield.

Another big positive was the return to form of Richarlison. The Brazilian has been badly out of sorts in recent weeks and his lack of goals and indifferent performances have been a concern.

On Wednesday he came back strongly scoring twice with two excellent finishes.

It was the Richarlison of old and his timing couldn't have been better with Dominic Calvert-Lewin going off with what looked like a hamstring strain.

Ancelotti indicated that he doesn't think Calvert-Lewin was seriously injured but it's likely that Richarlison might well start up front as centre-forward.

The Italian also indicated that new signing Josh King could well get a first start for the Blues. He will probably play in Richarlison's position then assuming the Brazil star goes up front.

Fulham have a danger man up front in a former Toffees player Ademola Lookman. The former Charlton youngster whose Everton career stalled badly following his hugely expensive move to Goodison Park, has been playing well for the Cottagers and was a threat in the game at Craven Cottage earlier this season.

I would expect Everton to win this match given history and the difference in form and quality between the teams. But then we thought that more or less about Newcastle United and they didn't stick to the script defeating a lacklustre Toffees side.

https://princerupertstower.com/2021/02/12/exhaultant-everton-face-cottagers/

WhiteJC

Parker convinced 'top class' Loftus-Cheek has 'come out the other side'

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is on the verge of scoring goals for Fulham, according to Scott Parker.

The Whites head coach insists the Chelsea loanee has improved during the last eight games. All Loftus-Cheek needs now is more to go with the solitary goal he has scored for Fulham against Sunday's opponents, Everton.

Loftus-Cheek was on target in the 3-2 home defeat to the Toffees in November, but Parker believes that was a different Fulham.

He said: "We've come a long way from the team that played that day. Over the last seven or eight games I think Ruben's come out of the other side of settling in.

"He's taken everything on board. He's so open to wanting to get better and holds on to every word, and that gives him every chance.

"When he came here, he was out for a long time with an injury. But certainly now you're seeing a top, top class player.

"It's fair to say, and having spoken to Ruben about it, if we can just add a few goals to his game then I honestly think there's a world class player there.

"He's been nearly there, and the detail (in his game) is getting better, so I've no doubt he'll get the other side of that, and score goals which we badly need."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/parker-convinced-top-class-loftus-cheek-has-come-out-the-other-side

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Everton vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is a preview of the upcoming match for Fulham against Everton.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/2/12/22280797/cottage-talk-preview-everton-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Angry Scott Parker on collision course with Fulham co-owner Tony Khan after transfer claim

The Fulham boss is unhappy with the outspoken co-owner's latest public declarations, regarding potential interest in striker Ivan Toney last summer

Fulham manager Scott Parker is on collision course with co-owner Tony Khan after more social media declarations from the Cottagers chief.

Parker admitted in September his disappointment with Khan, after he had apologised to supporters for the side's performance against Aston Villa.

But he has again been left frustrated with the 38-year-old, after further social media statements which have again undermined Parker.

Khan took to Twitter earlier this week to publicly reveal details of a failed bid last summer for Ivan Toney.

Toney moved from Peterborough to Brentford in a fee worth a potential £10million, and has enjoyed a magnificent campaign in the Championship thus far, scoring 23 goals for the Bees.

Khan divulged on Wednesday that Fulham had been unable to afford Toney - despite returning to the Premier League.

That came after Posh owner Darragh MacAnthony had replied to a tweet stating that Parker had been keen on taking Toney from London Road before his move.

But in a move that could easily be interpreted as egotistical, Khan rejected that assertion, rubbishing suggestions of input from Parker and taking sole credit for anyinterest in the striker.

Khan replied: "I did like him a lot, I still do, and I was the one who brought him up in the meetings (the General Manager, not the manager)."

He subsequently added: "He's a great player with a great data profile. We hoped to do a deal with your Club, I loved him + his data, I badly wanted him but trying to balance FFP with unknown constraints due to COVID, we didn't have flexibility to pay the fee without depleting funds to invest in defence."

Parker made clear his anger at Khan's latest declaration on Friday.

"I've not spoken to Tony. It is something I don't feel needs to happen, said the Fulham boss, whose side meet Everton this weekend.

"I want this to be an elite football club and an elite organisation. I can't control what comes from the outside. At times it's not helpful. Of course, it isn't.

"I want people to perceive us as a club that is world class in everything we do. That's where I stand on it. It's frustrating."

While Toney has shone in the second tier, Fulham have struggled for goals in the top flight.

With only two wins to their name, they've scored just 17 goals in 22 games thus far and pressure is growing on Parker with relegation increasingly likely.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/scott-parker-fulham-transfers-khan-23492936

WhiteJC

Liverpool's Harvey Elliott transfer fee leaves Scott Parker fuming despite Fulham statement

Fulham and Liverpool have reached an agreement regarding Harvey Elliott's transfer fee but Scott Parker is still less than impressed with the outcome given the Cottagers work in the player's development

Scott Parker has bemoaned the transfer fee Fulham received for Harvey Elliott citing the player's potential as a major loss for the club.

The teenager made his debut for the Cottagers in May 2019 as a 16-year-old having come through their academy.

It made him the Premier League's youngest ever player but he made a move to Liverpool just months later.

The two clubs had to settle their differences at a tribunal as Fulham sought a compensation fee for the player given his age.

They ended up receiving £4.3m - a record fee for the 16-year-old - but Parker feels as if their hard work will end up benefiting the Reds as he tipped Elliott for big things.

He said: "I was disappointed in it all because this is a player that had been developed at this club for a long, long time.

"We gave him his debut. You don't want to go and spend £20-30m on players. That's why the Academy is so important for us.

"We want to develop these players. But we have developed that player for a big club to take him.

"Four million quid for a player we developed and thought the world of, to then leave like he did, is madness really.

"Harvey Elliott has the potential to be a top-class football player but Liverpool have taken him off us for minimal numbers for what he's capable of."

Elliott is currently on loan at Blackburn as he looks to further his development having found opportunities at a premium at Anfield last term.

Despite Parker's comments Fulham claimed they were "very pleased" with the outcome.

"After a full hearing, the Professional Football Compensation Committee has decided that Fulham should be entitled to substantial compensation," they said in a statement.

"The award (undisclosed) is a record amount for a 16-year-old player and, in the circumstances, Fulham is very pleased and thanks the PFCC for its careful consideration of the arguments we put forward."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fulham-harvey-elliott-parker-23493008