watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The straw that broke the fans back?

Started by Rambling_Syd_Rumpo, December 11, 2010, 07:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...it doesn't worry me being hung up to dry if I am wrong, it is my opinion and I don't give a toss what people think or what points they want to score from my views.

We still have strikers but the tactics are not giving them any service and there is no plan 'B', now don't wind me up Spence, I am seriously not in the mood...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Bronsons

When Hughes came in he made a big thing about not changing things too much, not trying to fix what wasn't broke, building on the shape created by Hodgson rather than trying to change it overnight. And fair enough, he seemed to do that at first.

But as the weeks have gone by we have got worse and worse at holding our shape. Players are caught out of position over and over. How many times today did Salcido end up on the right so that Pantsil had to come across to LB?

It's Hughes' insistence on trying to get this ageing, disciplined squad, with no decent striker, to play attacking, open football that makes me think he's actually not that good a manager. So sure, yes, I hope he brings in his own style of players in January. Because he doesn't seem to have the wit to realise that he can't impose his style on what we have at the moment.

I'm not saying 'Hughes out', because I don't see what the alternative is. But I'm not happy.

finnster01

Quote from: MJG on December 11, 2010, 11:07:39 PM
" I cant remember such an injury list,"
Right so that's bobby,dembele,hellache,senderos and..three of them had nothing to do with last season...so why are the team poor this year...bobby not being on the pitch does not explain the all round individual poor performances.
And Briggsy, The Mexican, Etuhu, Duff, AJ, Kamara, Davies, Gera all out for periods so far. Roy didn't have an injury for the longest in his squad.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SmithyFFC

Right so that's bobby,dembele,hellache,senderos and..three of them had nothing to do with last season...so why are the team poor this year...bobby not being on the pitch does not explain the all round individual poor performances.

Etuhu's been injured, Duffs been struggling with injuries, Murphys been out injured, Kamara's been injured, as has AJ and our bench is exactly full of terrific players in waiting, is it?
FTID

FatFreddysCat

Your a Tiff reject i'm not bothered what you think, but as i said who would you play up front to score goals? Also please make this a sticky just to prove people like this wrong.  :033:

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on December 11, 2010, 11:12:19 PM
And Briggsy, The Mexican, Etuhu, Duff, AJ, Kamara, Davies, Gera all out for periods so far. Roy didn't have an injury for the longest in his squad.

And the Aussie turn coat keeper for the start of the season, but apart from that what did the romans do for us?

ImperialWhite

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 11, 2010, 11:15:38 PM
Your a Tiff reject i'm not bothered what you think, but as i said who would you play up front to score goals? Also please make this a sticky just to prove people like this wrong.  :033:

Go on, I'll bite.

Of course, how we define success might differ. If you mean by success, 'claw our way desperately to lower mid table survival', I'm not interested. I'd define it by matching or beating last season's 12th (for the sake of argument, let's say that not having to play our way to a European final compensates some what for having a marginally older side).

MJG

There are injury lists..all at the same time....or injurys during the season.at no time did I say we had no injurys.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on December 11, 2010, 10:58:58 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on December 11, 2010, 10:52:56 PM
...sorry, it annoys me when people presume because I am not happy (an understatement) with the performaces and they roll of the mantra "get behind the team", I do get behind the team, every game, I don't boo, I cheer even the most pathetic excuses of players - no matter what  - I give 100%, and usually when we go a goal behind the first voice you will hear is mine singing "Come On Fulham".

Time I saw some return from the pitch, time they got behind me and thousands like me...

Do you really believe the players aren't giving 100%? Just because the results aren't coming doesn't mean theres a lack of effort, missing a target man upfront is what is costing us.

I think what is costing us more is playing as if we have got a target man upfront. A couple of bursts of the Arsenal performance where the ball was glued to the grass and we would be three points better off tonight.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 11, 2010, 11:20:09 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 11, 2010, 11:15:38 PM

Go on, I'll bite.

Of course, how we define success might differ. If you mean by success, 'claw our way desperately to lower mid table survival', I'm not interested. I'd define it by matching or beating last season's 12th (for the sake of argument, let's say that not having to play our way to a European final compensates some what for having a marginally older side).
Still not saying who your all conqering front line is  :046:

MJG

As for who to play up front, for a start I would not be playing his style and try to get back to the basics we have done over the last two years. So AJ/DK/ZG/CD could fit in.

Scrumpy

Quote from: The Bronsons on December 11, 2010, 11:11:08 PM
When Hughes came in he made a big thing about not changing things too much, not trying to fix what wasn't broke, building on the shape created by Hodgson rather than trying to change it overnight. And fair enough, he seemed to do that at first.

But as the weeks have gone by we have got worse and worse at holding our shape. Players are caught out of position over and over. How many times today did Salcido end up on the right so that Pantsil had to come across to LB?

It's Hughes' insistence on trying to get this ageing, disciplined squad, with no decent striker, to play attacking, open football that makes me think he's actually not that good a manager. So sure, yes, I hope he brings in his own style of players in January. Because he doesn't seem to have the wit to realise that he can't impose his style on what we have at the moment.

I'm not saying 'Hughes out', because I don't see what the alternative is. But I'm not happy.
I agree totally. Robbie Savage was on Five Live this evening saying that Hughes was a great Manager for him, but he liked players to be athletes. A truly great Manager would get the best out of the existing players by using suitable tactics. Hughes has a well tried set of tactics that worked for him in the past, but need a certain type of player to pull off. So we will have to give him until end of February (in my opinion) to see who he signs in January and whether they make any difference. COYWs.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

VicHalomsLovechild

Sunderland are 6th W5 D9   L3 GD3
Fulham          17th W2 D10 L5 GD-4
Not a massive difference in form but separated by 11 places. For what it's worth I thought AJ coming on at halftime changed things he started to give their defenders problems and when EJ arrived things started going our way, he looks stronger and won a fair few in the air The pair do look like they have a bit of chemistry, I'd like to see us start with them.
Last season was in reality a bit of a blip for use. Wroy wasn't interested in the Europa to begin with and the teams we played didn't do their homework. Zamora found the form very few of us believed he had and lets face it Gera did a lot to make Bobby look great.
For those who want Hughes out, a question. Who would you bring in?

RidgeRider

Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on December 11, 2010, 10:07:37 PM
Quote from: WHITEwitch on December 11, 2010, 09:57:18 PM
Not disagreeing it was rubbish/disappointing/dismal etc.  Just disagreeing with why.  I'm just a bit surprised that Hughes is being made the scapegoat for lack of investment in an ageing squad and a very late decision on his appointment.

I don't think looking at reality is blind optimism.

If he makes some purchases in January and gets some money to do it but still doesn't get results by March/April then I will want to know what he is doing.  Until then I don't see what he could do differently - looking at what was on the bench today didnt inspire me.  Folk will suggest bringing in some youngsters but why frighten them to death at Anfield and maybe set them back in confidence.  

That all makes perfect sense.

But there's something wrong. Hughes doesn't feel right. His Welsh mafia coaching staff doesn't feel right. They just don't seem like a good fit with Fulham. I can't fully articulate why or how but after 32 years supporting the club these guys just don't feel right.

While I feel your pain and right I now I agree with you, I think it is a bit insensitive to call them the 'Welsh mafia', how about just calling them his coaching staff.

RidgeRider

Last years injury list:

AJ
Dempsey
Etuhu
Gera
Murphy
PK
BZ
Duff
Davies
Hangeland
Pantsil
Kamara

Did I miss anyone?

RidgeRider

Well sort of, see my last post. He had virtually no injuries when we finished 7th two seasons ago but he had loads of injuries last year and 50 match schedule to boot.

finnster01

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 12, 2010, 12:23:54 AM

Well sort of, see my last post. He had virtually no injuries when we finished 7th two seasons ago...
That was exactly my point. How many injuries did Roy have to deal with in his first half of his reign? I rest my case.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

1/ Roy had rubbish results at the start

2/ Our squad played well in the Europa which required one up front and 10 players behind the ball. It didn't and doesn't work in the Prem. So stop comparing the two.

3/ To compare the injury list this season to anything we had before is silly. Our ageing squad are not becoming younger. The lack if playing the same side because of injury  is showing

4/ I am loving the way some supporters are having a go at others for being negative. I have had that thrown at me by stupid ignorant fans that most  supported,so welcome to my World.

5/ If Hughes goes who is going to change this side around without spending money. I couldn't care less that the spoilt fans don't have a relationship with Hughes. If they want to sleep with him and buy him flowers then fine. But I would prefer he does a job first.

6/ It is a concern that under Hughes we cannot start a blimmin game unril the second half.

7/ We DID play ok and could have scored in the second half of most games but have NO forwards.

8/ AJ needs a forward to play alongside. Taking Kamara off and bringing on AJ was pointless. The poor EJ is better in five minutes alongside another forward than Kamara was in the first half.

9/ If Jol or anyone came in now I would still say we need the same improvements.

10/ I said when Hughes took over it will be a struggle because of our poor and old squad. I blamed Roy for jumping ship and leaving shite behind. But oh no I was told we are Europa runners up and what a great side it was. Well HUGHES HASN'T MADE IT INTO A BAD SIDE. He just wanted to play without 11 players defending. Ironically that was his first mistake. We have no forwards who are worthy of the name. I still would stick with Hughes. I don't want a relationship with him.But then I never wanted a relationship with the overloved Roy either. I just want a team that works.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Banstead White

Just my 2 bob, but I wonder if RH would have brought more than 3 players in during him remaining period pre season? I doubt it. he would have made the most with the squad from last season, his tactics however in my view would have seen us turn in a few better results so far, ( the Team for a start would have understood what was required). I was one in the camp a bit pi55ed when RH decided to up sticks, i was also one of those that whilst having a small reservation of MH, (simply as I couldn't see him being a Fulham man), I was in admiration of the guy believing maybe we had upped our game with regard to his appointment.....from what I saw today we have seen loads of games over the years that were similar but they do seem to be coming thick and fast now and i have to agree with others and suggest a bit of a pattern is setting in here and whilst it is frustrating to have to say it I imagine that we will struggle to improve from this point. Fat is we don't simply lack a striker...we have several already, but trying to find one good enough to be better on paper than we have is not going to be cheap, we don't seem to attack the flanks to cross as easily as we did last season so maybe a midfielder too???, its no good telling Etuhu to go on a run as from what I have seen the gap behind could be exploited by a pub side. Defensively we seem as solid as last season but if we are not attacking we are bound to spend more time defending and that seems more or less why we are conceding goals albeit not as many as we might if the back four and schwarz wer'nt as good as they are.....in summary there is something wrong with the way this Team are playing and that at the end of the day is wholly down to Mr Hughes. :046:
Roysie

Banstead White

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on December 12, 2010, 12:00:56 AM
Sunderland are 6th W5 D9   L3 GD3
Fulham          17th W2 D10 L5 GD-4
Not a massive difference in form but separated by 11 places. For what it's worth I thought AJ coming on at halftime changed things he started to give their defenders problems and when EJ arrived things started going our way, he looks stronger and won a fair few in the air The pair do look like they have a bit of chemistry, I'd like to see us start with them.
Last season was in reality a bit of a blip for use. Wroy wasn't interested in the Europa to begin with and the teams we played didn't do their homework. Zamora found the form very few of us believed he had and lets face it Gera did a lot to make Bobby look great.
For those who want Hughes out, a question. Who would you bring in?
Sorry, you cant possibly be saying the Europa run was simply a result of the teams we played not doing their homework???
Roysie