watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

One simple question for the doubters.

Started by FatFreddysCat, December 11, 2010, 11:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

If you was Hughes who would you play up front? I'm not interested in you new Tiff negative types so please dont respond, i'm only interested in the long term posters, I'm interested in both the negative and positive  views.

The Bronsons

You're asking the wrong question. The main problem isn't the lack of a striker, it's the fact that we don't control space and the game at home the way we used to. And that's because Hughes' system isn't right for the players he has, but he persists in trying to impose it.

I've had enough. I'm going to bed.

SmithyFFC

Personally I'd play Kamara with AJ up top with Clint on the left and Gera on the right.
FTID

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: The Bronsons on December 11, 2010, 11:26:27 PM
You're asking the wrong question. The main problem isn't the lack of a striker, it's the fact that we don't control space and the game at home the way we used to. And that's because Hughes' system isn't right for the players he has, but he persists in trying to impose it.

I've had enough. I'm going to bed.
I'm not asking the wrong question, the game is all about goals, and we have a load of poo up front, you tell me who you would put up front to change that.

RidgeRider

Fred, it is a good question you post. I have no answers however Mr. Hodgson was able to get results out of the same squad even while BZ was hurt some last year. I think that BZ is clearly the most valuable player for Fulham cause without him we are toothless and can't solve defenses.

I am still hoping for some fresh bodies in January that play whatever style it is the new guy is trying to instill and hope he turns it around cause our Europa League finalist squad are making it hard to be excited about this manager.

Upfront, right now, its Dempsey and Kamara, I think Hughes made the right picks today given who we have, its the midfield that has more worried right now.

What do you think?

Lets be nice to our new friends, it's hard to be a Fulham fan right now.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 11, 2010, 11:29:45 PM
Fred, it is a good question you post. I have no answers however Mr. Hodgson was able to get results out of the same squad even while BZ was hurt some last year.

Nevland.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on December 11, 2010, 11:27:53 PM
Personally I'd play Kamara with AJ up top with Clint on the left and Gera on the right.
personally i cant argue with any formation as i just cant see the answer, but i think Sir Alex would struggle with what we have available.

The Bronsons

'the game is all about goals' - yes, and that includes the goals we have gifted by being pulled out of shape.

Kamara, AJ up front to start, and pull Kamara off for EJ if he doesn't put himself about. Would that solve it? NO! - because if the rest of the team is trying to play as if Kamara and AJ were decent strikers we're doomed.

Where are my pyjamas?

FatFreddysCat

Fred, it is a good question you post. I have no answers however Mr. Hodgson was able to get results out of the same squad even while BZ was hurt some last year. I think that BZ is clearly the most valuable player for Fulham cause without him we are toothless and can't solve defenses.

I am still hoping for some fresh bodies in January that play whatever style it is the new guy is trying to instill and hope he turns it around cause our Europa League finalist squad are making it hard to be excited about this manager.

Upfront, right now, its Dempsey and Kamara, I think Hughes made the right picks today given who we have, its the midfield that has more worried right now.

What do you think?

The Newbies had no interest in posting here till their crap forum went down, i have no interest in them .

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: The Bronsons on December 11, 2010, 11:33:26 PM
'the game is all about goals' - yes, and that includes the goals we have gifted by being pulled out of shape.

Kamara, AJ up front to start, and pull Kamara off for EJ if he doesn't put himself about. Would that solve it? NO! - because if the rest of the team is trying to play as if Kamara and AJ were decent strikers we're doomed.

Where are my pyjamas?
In the goals conceded tables i think we'd be seventh, not to shabby eh? If hughes was as boring as Woy it could easily be better, at least he tries to win away.

Bilet

I think one of our biggest problems is the lack of pace. Footballing these days is much about pace and one-on-one ability, we kind of lack that under Hughes. Hodgson mostly got away with it by using players consistent over a long period of time as well as finding a formation and style that fitted the players available perfect.

Thats what Hughes now is struggeling under. He can't seem to get the players to fit 'his' much more offensive-thinking system. Therefore the rotation-rate has been extreme this season compared to the last two and it may well be one of the reasons that we don't go out and snatch three points from todays match.

The original question: Dempsey up front alongside a close to full-fitness AJ. Kamara is just not the team-player we need to get out of this mess and EJ just lacks the 'footballing-brain'.

Mr_Moon

I'd have AJ upfront in the same formation that we had today. With no targetman it seems pointless playing 2 up front so we should stick with a 4-2-3-1

MJG

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 11, 2010, 11:34:00 PM

The Newbies had no interest in posting here till their crap forum went down, i have no interest in them .
Look I'm not interested in all this your from this forum or that forum or whatever, I have read FOF for a while and its always had a good mixture of views. Yes I used the other site for a number of years but its had problems and hence looking for somewhere to discuss/remember/etc this great club of ours.
Part of that is we have different views on players/managers/games/kits and much more. If you dont like my pov then make your points against it, as i will do with ones I dont agree about. As long as you keep the comments civil and make rational cases I dont see the problem, if people answer with one word comments then really they are the ones you should have problems with.
I could have signed on here in a different name as some have or multi names but I did not. nothing to hide, fulham fan for well over 30 years, been involved with the club on many levels and dont need to have pissing contest to prove where my heart is.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Mr_Moon on December 11, 2010, 11:44:08 PM
I'd have AJ upfront in the same formation that we had today. With no targetman it seems pointless playing 2 up front so we should stick with a 4-2-3-1
Mr Moon i seem to remember chatting with you in my old Offal days so i'll reply, do you really see loads of goals from that format? or do you just accept were fecked untill jan?

The Bronsons

Because we have crap forwards we need to keep the ball in midfield and try to work an opening for them to use. We don't do that.

So options are:

1. Hang on til January, hope we're not too far behind, and buy one or two top strikers. Hands up who thinks that's going to happen? In January? When the lure is a team fighting relegation?

2. Hang on til Bobby and Dembele recover and pray they hit the ground running, and are properly over their injuries when Hughes puts them on the pitch. Who thinks that's going to happen? Given how Salcido has been put in several times now when he's clearly not fit? And Dembele is already looking like a breakdown waiting to happen?

3. Try to set the team up to keep the ball.

For me no. 3 is the obvious thing to do RIGHT NOW, and then if 2 or 3 happen later that's a bonus.

So you're asking the wrong question.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: MJG on December 11, 2010, 11:46:39 PM

Look I'm not interested in all this your from this forum or that forum or whatever, I have read FOF for a while and its always had a good mixture of views. Yes I used the other site for a number of years but its had problems and hence looking for somewhere to discuss/remember/etc this great club of ours.
Part of that is we have different views on players/managers/games/kits and much more. If you dont like my pov then make your points against it, as i will do with ones I dont agree about. As long as you keep the comments civil and make rational cases I dont see the problem, if people answer with one word comments then really they are the ones you should have problems with.
I could have signed on here in a different name as some have or multi names but I did not. nothing to hide, fulham fan for well over 30 years, been involved with the club on many levels and dont need to have pissing contest to prove where my heart is.
Good comment, i'll look out for the sensible types from Tiff, but at the moment i'm lacking in sleep and and in a fair bit of pain plus our results are crap.Sorry i'll try to be more friendly,but i'm expecting a few idiots to suddenly appear and this is a top site.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 11, 2010, 11:52:26 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 11, 2010, 11:46:39 PM

Good comment, i'll look out for the sensible types from Tiff, but at the moment i'm lacking in sleep and and in a fair bit of pain plus our results are crap.Sorry i'll try to be more friendly,but i'm expecting a few idiots to suddenly appear and this is a top site.
Sorry that sounds a bit weak, basically i'm like a bear with a sore head at the moment, i was arranging a punch up with a qpha mate i've known for over 25 years last night.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 11, 2010, 11:47:32 PM
Quote from: Mr_Moon on December 11, 2010, 11:44:08 PM
Mr Moon i seem to remember chatting with you in my old Offal days so i'll reply, do you really see loads of goals from that format? or do you just accept were fecked untill jan?

It isn't about scoring lots of goals, as soon as you adopt that stance then it becomes score one more than you. By playing that formation which is widely used across Europe and various English sides then it allows you to control the game and plug the gap between the forwards and the midfield. One gripe I have with Hughes' tactics is how we have been playing long ball up to AJ although it wasn't evident today bar the once or twice. We simply do not have a decent enough targetman that is fit so we have to change our tactics. In my opinion Andy Johnson is our best striker so he starts up top.

I'd rather keep Kamara on the bench as his pace is useful when the game becomes stretched, EJ looks as though he has beefed up so does Hughes have a future role in mind for him? Either way not good enough to start. I want Gera on the field, he is unselfish, works hard and gives a sh1t. We also need our talisman Dempsey who has the ability to create that bit of magic that can turn games in your favour. He isn't a striker and is ineffective when challenging for the ball in the air so he can sit either out left or behind AJ.

Davies has been poor this season and hasn't impressed me for a long time then again nor has Duff. Switch between these two depending on who is fit.

Etuhu/Baird   Murphy

Davies  Gera    Dempsey

AJ

RidgeRider

What do you think?

I understand how you might feel that way but it's like anything in life, you get comfortable in your place and while the other place looks good, you are comfortable. We want them to feel welcome here....more the merrier! It's Christmas time Fred. :)

ScalleysDad

Fair enough question but a couple of options have been offered. Service to any of the 'forwards' we have used is really poor because we lose the midfield quite easily. If we played the ball through the middle to AJ it will get to him where he offers the most threat, edge of the box or in the box BUT in front of goal. AJ is never going to score from the corners or by outrunning a defender. What do we do ? Hoof it to him. Kamara is ultimately hopeless but if he has a strength its  latching onto a ball passed ahead of him. He can't head the ball or ride a challenge so the pass has to be ahead of him and into space so leaving him very little to think about. What do we do ? Hoof it to him or play the ball behind him. EJ is a danger to us wherever he plays so if he must go on just plant him on the penalty spot as a distraction. Demps and Gera spent far too much time helping to shore up the defence but looked good when they got time and space ..... which has to be earned. If the forwards are going to score they need the ball without still having a mountain of work to do. Elm is evidently not going to get a chance and the new boys are 'still in waiting' so why does'nt the massive back room staff Hughes has brought in work on a game plan with the specific role of utilising the strengths of Kamarra and AJ. Thats where I criticise Hughes although I agree there have been some lacklustre individual performances any amount of preparation can't cater for.
We have been a consistent bits and pieces team lately. We play good stuff in short bursts before resorting to the hopeless stuff. Hughes has to play to our strengths and not allow the midfield to concede possession or the hopeless long ball to become our regular option. Murph actually looked really agitated with Etuhu today. If perservering with Etuhu is part of the Hughes gameplan then we really are in trouble.