watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 17/02/21...

Started by WhiteJC, February 17, 2021, 12:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Is Burnley v Fulham on TV? Is there a free stream? What is time is kick off?
Burnley are set to welcome relegation rivals Fulham in the Premier League on Wednesday night.

Sean Dyche's Burnley return to Premier League action against Scott Parker's Fulham.

And with the game set to be shown on TV, we walk you through how you can watch it.

The Clarets are sitting in 16th position at the moment with 26 points from 23 games following a 3-0 win over Crystal Palace last time out.

Fulham, however, occupy the final relegation slot in 18th with 18 points from their 23 fixtures after a good 2-0 win over Everton.

When is Burnley v Fulham?

The match between Burnley and Fulham will take place at Turf Moor on Wednesday, February 17.

Kick-off is scheduled for 6pm.

What are the odds for Burnley v Fulham?

At the time of writing, bookmakers Paddy Power have Burnley priced at 7/4 to win the clash.

A draw is 2/1 with the same outlet, whilst a Fulham win is 17/1.

Paddy Power are offering a odds of 4/1 on Clarets favourite Chris Wood to score first, with Ashley Barnes priced at 5/1

Fulham's Josh Maja to score first is priced at 13/2 currently following his winning brace against the Toffees.

What channel is Burnley v Fulham on?

The Premier League match between Burnley and Fulham will be broadcast on television via the Sky Sports Main Event, Premier League and Ultra HD channels.

You can add the Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Football channels for just £18 per month combined or pick up the complete sports package for just £23 per month.

Can I stream Burnley v Fulham online for free?

Unfortunately, there isn't a free stream but Burnley fans can pay to view the game.

You can watch the match with a NOW TV pass for £9.99 or for £33.99 without signing up for a contract.

NOW TV can be streamed through a computer or apps found on most smart TVs, phones and consoles.

Existing Sky Sports customers can live stream the game via the Sky Go app on a variety of devices.

NOW TV is also available via BT Sport for BT Sport subscribers.

Who is the referee for Burnley v Fulham?

Jonathan Moss will referee Burnley's clash with Fulham.

Marc Perry and Nick Hoptonwill assist Moss, with Martin Atkinson named as the fourth official.

Darren England has been named as the VAR for the game, and he will be assisted by Dan Robathan.

Is there any team news ahead of Burnley v Fulham?

Ben Mee and Erik Pieters both suffered injuries against Crystal Palace leaving both men doubtful.

Ashley Barnes has made a timely return to fitness after Matej Vydra missed out with Chris Wood is also nursing a hamstring problem.

Parker only has one absentee to contend with in the form of Tom Cairney.

The Fulham boss will surely be reluctant to shuffle the pack after such an impressive showing at Goodison Park against Carlo Ancelotti's side.

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/burnley-v-fulham-tv-there-free-stream-what-time-kick-3135991

WhiteJC

Mitrovic to miss two vital Fulham matches

Fulham will be without Aleksandar Mitrovic until the away match at Crystal Palace on February 28.

The striker will miss the next two vital matches – against Burnley tomorrow night and Sheffield United on Saturday -after testing positive for Coronavirus.

He has been tested twice, including on Monday, with Scott Parker admitting his absence is a blow.

Parker said: "He's got mild symptoms, and we're disappointed especially as he's come out the other side as far as his form goes.

"He will be away from the group when we need him."

On the positive side, the squad picked up no further injuries after the encouraging 2-0 win over Everton.

Goalscorer Josh Maja had praise heaped on him on his starting debut, with the head coach admitting "a big week" lay ahead in their battle to avoid relegation.

"There was never a doubt about confidence in the squad," Parker said. "You don't get performances like that (at Everton) without it.

"It was just a question of detail. We had three shots on target, Sunday, and scored from two of them, and that was the difference."

Parker alluded to injuries to Burnley's Erik Pieters and Ben Mee picked up in the 3-0 win over Crystal Palace and wondered if that might help Fulham.

"But they're still a tough side to face at a time when they're back to decent form," Parker added.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-fulham-aleksandar-mitrovic-two-games-16221

WhiteJC

My Turf Moor trials and tribulations
Fulham Supporters Trust Chairman Tom Greatrex relives his personal obsession with our fortunes in Lancashire.

While for some it's a happy place, but for many Fulham fans results – and often performances – at Turf Moor invite comparisons with some sort of footballing hell. For me, it's a bit more obsessive than that. Whatever the redeeming features of Burnley – and some of the pubs, the cricket club, the raucous nature of the determinedly old school ground suggest it has some – it has become a grim test of the extent of my stubbornness. Let me explain...

It's Sean Farrell's fault. While the name of our early 1990s journeyman striker might not mean much to younger or more recent fans, if your formative Fulham years just missed the high points of Malcolm McDonald's side, then after the departure (again) of Leroy Rosenior and the retirement of Gordon Davies, he was probably the next most prolific striker we had. On loan from Luton, his hat-trick as we won 3-2 away at leaders West Brom on New Year's Day 1992 precipitated his permanent signing. With a strong finish to that season, some of us poor deluded souls went into the 1992/93 season optimistic that Don McKay's blananwhyarmy could finally get us back to where we belonged... the second tier of English football.

The early days
A good start to the season – only two defeats in our opening 11 league matches – and by the time of our visit to Burnley in October, there was some optimism at a wet and windy Turf Moor. Within minutes, Sean Farrell put us a goal up. There were plenty more goals that game too, including another for Farrell. We lost 5-2. Much to the delight of the home fans who gave the single coach of intrepid away fans an enthusiastic send off. That season tailed off into mediocrity, although a 4-0 home win over Burnley in front of a (relatively) packed away terrace in the April sunshine saw Farrell score another Fulham hat-trick. The following season, another early season trip to Turf Moor and another defeat, as we finally got out of the division – being relegated to the fourth tier for the first time ever – and Sean Farrell departed for the striker's paradise of Peterborough United.

Resumed rivalry
It wasn't until our renaissance was underway that we met Burnley again – same again:  home win, away defeat. The following season, even the all-conquering Kevin Keegan side with its record points tally couldn't break the pattern – another defeat at Turf Moor, this time most memorable for how quickly Chis Coleman – ex of Blackburn – sprinted off at the end for his own safety as the home fans invaded the pitch. Sometime around then, I decided I was going to keep going to Burnley – every fixture – until I saw us win there. Convinced it would happen one day, and an early case of FOMO allied to bloody-mindedness meaning that when the fixtures come out, it is the game at Burnley I looked for first, when we were in the same division.

I kept up the record of going to those games – it helped, living near Glasgow for some of that time, that it was the closest thing to a local match for me. In the Championship, and the Premier League, an FA Cup replay as the Tigana tenure was going sour, and a forgettable League Cup tie when a division higher than our opponents – and the best we managed was a solitary point.

The new normal
So the relevance of this meander down memory lane? Well, as we prepare to go to Turf Moor, Fulham sit seven points adrift of safety and in desperate need of turning some of the creditable but nevertheless frustrating recent good performances from draws to wins. And after Sunday's win at Goodison Park – our first ever in the league – things are looking just a bit brighter. Nevertheless, we're pretty close to the territory of must-wins if there is any chance of avoiding the yo-yo tag some are comfortable giving us.

Except we don't prepare to go to Turf Moor. We can't go anywhere much more exciting than the supermarket, and awaydays to East Lancashire will have to wait until at least next season it seems. Strange kick off times, ignorant commentators and the suspended reality of VAR is our lot for now. It doesn't feel real, but it is the best we have. Perhaps less than hellish, but something more akin to purgatory. And the debate raging in my empty head, bored at home, is whether – for perhaps the first time ever – I really don't want Fulham to win a game.

I know we need the points, and any chance of catching those above us realistically needs a win at Burnley. Even then, it might not be enough. Yet there is a horrible, lingering fear that, by dint of the impact of coronavirus and after a wait of fifty years, being able to look to our left and the aggrieved faces of home fans in the next block with a knowing, possibly slightly smug, grin before the long trip home will be robbed from us all. Trolling Alastair Campbell on Twitter just wouldn't be the same.

So do I want Fulham to forfeit the win? Of course not. It would be, well, Fulhamish, that Scott Parker inspires us to a first win at Turf Moor since April 1951 with an emotional post-match monologue of the pride and belief he sees in his team on the bumpy road to go again against Sheffield United at the Cottage cut short to go to the build up to Everton v Man City. But if – and it's an if, not a secret hope – we just fall short, then at least there is some small comfort in circumstances not having conspired to miss that historic victory in person. The hope will remain that next time we play in Burnley in the wind and the rain, fortified by Benedictine and balti pie, the reward for all of those trips north will be ours to savour in person.

And after the glorious day that happens, I'm never going there again. Ever.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-02-16-my-turf-moor-trials-and-tribulations/

WhiteJC

Parker praises Maja's positive start at Fulham

Maja excited, Mitrovic symptoms
The arrival of Josh Maja from Bordeaux on loan until the end of the season was a saving grace for Fulham who just lost Aleksandar Mitrovic to a positive Covid result.

Maja spoke of his excitement upon his arrival.

"I'm really excited and proud to sign for Fulham on loan for the remainder of the season. This is a big opportunity and I look forward to meeting up with the team and working hard to achieve positive results," he said.

Maja replaced Mitrovic and Fulham head coach Scott Parker has now provided an update on the Serbian's health.

"Mitro is okay, he's got one symptom of the virus. It's disappointing for him as he was coming out the other side of a tough season. It's a big time and we'll need him," said Parker.

Parker praises Maja
Maja scored twice away from home against Everton to give The Cottagers an unlikely victory at the ground of the European qualification chasing Toffees.

Parker spoke of how impressed he was with the striker's integration and immediate impact for the side.

"I've been impressed with Josh Maja in a short space of time. He's fitted in very well. He's come into a young, energetic group of players. He wants to learn and get better, which is vitally important," Parker said.

The club have the option to make the loan permanent in the summer. The fee is reported to be a reasonable £9 million which would be well within the club's remit should they achieve survival from dreaded relegation.

In the meantime, with Mitrovic out, Maja has the opportunity to establish himself as the club's first-choice forward.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/parker-praises-majas-positive-start-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker disappointed for Aleksandar Mitrovic after positive Covid-19 test
The striker missed the game at Everton and now has 10 days in isolation.

Fulham manager Scott Parker revealed Aleksandar Mitrovic has mild symptoms of coronavirus following his positive test (Tess Derry/PA)

Scott Parker says it is disappointing for Aleksandar Mitrovic to have contracted coronavirus just as he felt the Serbia striker was starting to turn his season around.

Mitrovic tested positive ahead of Fulham's impressive 2-0 victory at Everton on Sunday and was not involved in the matchday squad.

The 26-year-old was the only recognised centre-forward at Fulham for most of the season, before Josh Maja's arrival on loan from Bordeaux earlier this month, and has struggled for goals, having not found the net for the club since September.

Mitrovic has started just eight games for Fulham this term, with Parker previously saying he took him out to give him some air during a difficult period stemming from his decisive miss while on international duty which sent Scotland to the European Championship in place of Serbia.

"He's good, at this present moment in time he's got mild symptoms of the virus," Parker said when asked about Mitrovic, who will face 10 days in self-isolation as per Government guidelines.

"Of course it's disappointing for Aleks because at this moment I felt like he was coming out the other side of what's been a bit of a tough season.

"But it's disappointing to pick up the virus and now have to be away from the group and away from us at a big time where we need him as well."

Fulham take on Burnley on Wednesday with Sean Dyche's side on a decent run of league form which has included victories over Liverpool, Aston Villa and Crystal Palace.

Maja, on his first Premier League start, scored twice at Everton to answer Fulham's goalscoring problems this campaign.

Before the game at Goodison Park, the Cottagers had found the net just four times in the league since Christmas, but Parker was reluctant to put too much pressure on the new signing.

He said: "What a way to start, full Premier League debut for us and to score two goals and for us to win the game it was pretty special for him really.

"I'm really conscious, I don't want to put a lot on someone so young's shoulders but I've been very impressed in the short space of time I've been working with Josh and hopefully that can continue really.

"He's fitted in very, very well. I think he's come into a young group, a real energetic upbeat group of players and he's fitted in to that bracket very, very well.

"He's also fitted in in a short space of time as one who wants to learn, a player who wants to get better and I think that's vitally important when you come in to where we are and he's made those strides very, very easily."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/scott-parker-disappointed-for-aleksandar-mitrovic-after-positive-covid-19-test-40097753.html

WhiteJC

Newcastle legend Micky Quinn has major concerns about the Magpies' Premier League status, admitting he believes relegation rivals Fulham could soon overtake the Tynesiders in the table.

The Magpies are currently seven points clear of 18th placed Fulham – who secured a shock 2-0 victory at Everton on Sunday night – but Scott Parker's side have a game in hand.

Steve Bruce's side produced a lacklustre display at Chelsea on Monday night as Thomas Tuchel's men ran out 2-0 winners at Stamford Bridge.

A run of just two wins in 13 league games has left Newcastle looking over their shoulders, with Quinn expressing his belief that a number of the club's squad just aren't Premier League quality.

Quizzed by Ally McCoist on whether his beloved Toon will avoid the drop, Quinn told Tuesday's talkSPORT Breakfast: "I don't know.

"They're on that slippery rock. You look at some of the players: Jonjo Shelvey and Dwight Gayle... Andy Carroll – past his sell by date – Joelinton – couldn't hit a barn door with a pea. These are guys I think fall below Premier League class.

"If you look at some of the games recently; Sheffield United have improved, Fulham have improved – they beat Everton at the weekend. You look at Burnley and they've improved.

"This three or four weeks ago and they're starting to rack up points. They are in a relegation fight.

"They can get out of it because they've got the likes of Allan [Saint-Maximin], Miguel [Almiron] and the kid Joe Willock has done well since he's come to Newcastle – but he needs that service.

"They have got a chance, but to me if they play like that did last night... the first half was just desperate."

Bruce is confident his side will 'be okay' if they produce similar performances to those which delivered recent wins against Everton and Southampton.

"There are that many teams involved, it has been an unbelievable year. Everyone is making a fist of it down below and there are six, seven teams looking over their shoulder," the 60-year-old said after the defeat at Stamford Bridge.

"If we continue like we have done recently we will be okay.

"There were a few positives in the second half and I think the players are enjoying it, we have to get a few results but I am far happier in myself the way we played in the second half in the way we want to go about our work."

https://talksport.com/football/835106/

WhiteJC

Team News: Ben Mee misses out for Burnley against Fulham

Burnley captain Ben Mee will sit out Wednesday's Premier League game against Fulham due to concussion protocols.

The central defender was taken off on a stretcher late on in the 3-0 win at Crystal Palace on Saturday after he was hit on the side of the head by Jordan Ayew's shoulder.

Erik Pieters was also forced off at Selhurst Park with a tight groin, while Matej Vydra missed that match with a hamstring strain. Chris Wood's hamstring problem will be assessed and he may return.

Fulham manager Scott Parker will continue to be without striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The Serbia international tested positive for coronavirus ahead of the Cottagers' surprise 2-0 win at Goodison Park on Sunday and will continue his 10 days of self-isolation.

Terence Kongolo and Tom Cairney are also expected to remain sidelined as they recover from long-term injuries.

Burnley provisional squad: Pope, Lowton, Tarkowski, Pieters, Cork, Taylor, Gudmundsson, McNeil, Westwood, Barnes, Vydra, Peacock-Farrell, Bardsley, Long, Dunne, Driscoll-Glennon, Stephens, Benson, Rodriguez, Mumbongo, Brownhill, Wood.

Fulham provisional squad: Areola, Tete, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Aina, Loftus-Cheek, Reed, Anguissa, Lookman, Maja, Decordova-Reid, Rodak, Hector, Odoi, Ream, Cavaleiro, Onomah, Lemina, Robinson.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/burnley/team-news/team-news-ben-mee-misses-out-for-burnley-against-fulham_435474.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Who's for the drop? Premier League relegation battle set to be cliffhanger

The Premier League title may be Manchester City's to lose but down at the bottom the relegation battle looks set to go to the wire.

The dogfight to avoid the drop has serious financial consequences.

Clubs dropping out of the elite take an immediate £60 million ($84 million). Although they receive a £40 million parachute payment when they drop into the Championship, it falls well short of the £100 million Premier League clubs receive each year.

The relegated club's losses in revenue can reach as much as £70-80 million once sponsorship deals and fans coming through the turnstiles in normal non-coronavirus times are taken into account.

Third-from-bottom Fulham look the only side of those in the relegation places capable of escaping the drop.

Newcastle's 2-0 loss to Chelsea on Monday makes them favourites to replace Fulham if the latter can extricate themselves from the relegation spots.

A fine 2-0 away to high-flying Everton on Sunday showed Fulham have both the fight in them and the quality to do so.

The bottom two, though, are floundering.

Sam Allardyce's record of being the fireman clubs turn to save them from relegation looks set to be spoiled with his West Brom side 12 points adrift of fourth-from-bottom Newcastle, two months after he replaced Slaven Bilic.

Sheffield United, who had mounted a mini-revival albeit from a very low starting point, are 14 points off safety with 14 games remaining after they slumped to a 3-0 defeat to West Ham on Monday.

"It is a massive step back," conceded United manager Chris Wilder.

Fulham, though, could be breathing down the neck of Newcastle when the Magpies travel to Manchester United on Sunday.

The London club can move to within a point of Newcastle if they beat Burnley on Wednesday and Sheffield United on Saturday.

The likelihood of Newcastle coming away with anything from Old Trafford is improbable given they have lost six of their last seven away matches.

- 'Making a fist of it' -

Fulham's win over Everton -- their first in 12 games -- may have come as a surprise to many, but not to their young manager Scott Parker.

"This is a confident team," said the 40-year-old former England midfielder.

"You don't play football like we play football, these players don't move the ball like they move the ball, if they didn't have confidence."

Fulham's biggest problem has been failing to convert draws into victories -- they have finished all square in nine of their 23 matches this term.

"I don't really concentrate on the league table and what teams are doing around us," said Parker.

"Our sole focus is to come in every day and improve. We need to win matches, I know that. We've drawn a lot of games."

West Brom are the only one of the strugglers to have replaced their manager this season.

Parker even got away with boldly criticising vice-chairman Tony Khan's apology to fans via Twitter for the team's performance in a 3-0 defeat by Aston Villa last September.

It appears Steve Bruce too enjoys the confidence of unpopular Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

Bruce believes too much of the focus on who might drop into the bottom three is on Newcastle.

"There are that many teams involved, it has been an unbelievable year," said Bruce.

"Everyone is making a fist of it down below and there are six, seven teams looking over their shoulder."

Bruce may be a touch optimistic when he refers to half a dozen teams nervously looking over their shoulders.

One of them, Southampton, are on a club record losing streak of six successive league matches, including a 9-0 humiliation against Manchester United, but are still 11 points better off than Fulham.

Which leaves Newcastle as the hare being chased by the Fulham fox.

Bruce though believes his side will not be caught.

"If we continue like we have done recently we will be OK," he said.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210216-who-s-for-the-drop-premier-league-relegation-battle-set-to-be-cliffhanger

WhiteJC

Lookman delighted for Maja's double

Ademola Lookman has expressed his delight for Nigerian international Josh Maja after he scored a brace for Fulham in his full Premier League debut this past weekend.

The 22-year-old, who is on loan at the Cottagers from Girondins de Bordeaux, netted in the 48th and 65th minutes as the London club claimed a surprise 2-0 win over Everton at Goodison Park.

Lookman, who has strong Nigerian links through his familial heritage, was happy for Maja and praised the team effort put in by Fulham as they continue to fight against the prospect of relegation.

"It was a well-deserved three points. We dominated large parts of the game and created lots of chances," Lookman told BBC Sport.

"I'm happy for Josh Maja as well. Everyone knows he can score goals. We need to score goals.

"I've said before if we stick together and put the ball in the back of the net, we'll win games. We showed that [against Everton].

"We kept believing. At half time we said we'll do the exact same thing in the second half and we scored twice.

"Our defence kept it strong towards the end of the game and we saw it out. It gives the team a boost of confidence and we'll take that into the next game."

Fulham boss Scott Parker was also full of praise for the Super Eagles man: "Fantastic tonight in terms of scoring two goals. The first move was brilliant and he is there to tap in and the second is a striker's instinct to knock one in from the rebound off the post," he stated in a press conference.

https://africanfootball.com//news/784349/Lookman-delighted-for-Majas-double

WhiteJC

Maja wants to learn and improve at Fulham – Parker

The Nigeria international has hit the ground running on his arrival at Craven Cottage and has been praised for doing so

Fulham manager Scott Parker has revealed Josh Maja wants to learn and improve with his side and hailed the forward for his impressive start at the club.

The 22-year-old teamed up with the Cottagers during the January transfer window on loan from French side Bordeaux until the end of the season.

The Nigeria international has already showcased what he is capable of with his scintillating performances for the Craven Cottage outfit.

The forward was handed his second Premier League appearance against Everton on Sunday and seized the opportunity to open his goalscoring account.

Maja scored twice in the encounter to help the Cottagers secure all three points and end their eight-game winless run.

Parker has expressed his delight with the manner the forward hit the ground running and backed him to continue with blistering performances.

"I've been impressed with Josh Maja in a short space of time," Parker said in a press conference ahead of their Premier League game against Burnley.

"He's fitted in very well. He's come into a young, energetic group of players. He wants to learn and get better, which is vitally important."

Maja teamed up with Bordeaux in January 2019, signing a four-and-a-half-year contract after turning down a chance to extend his contract with Sunderland, where he had spent three years.

The forward scored two goals in 17 league appearances this season before leaving the Matmut Atlantique outfit for the Premier League temporary.

Maja will hope to continue his eye-catching performances for Fulham to boost his chances of getting a regular call-up to the Nigeria national team, having only featured once for the three-time African champions.

The forward will be expected to be part of the Super Eagles team that will take on the Republic of Benin and Lesotho in the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in March.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/maja-wants-to-learn-and-improve-at-fulham-parker/im8puyabk63o1hc30sulnh78h

WhiteJC

Liverpool and Aston Villa results show why Fulham game is not pivotal to Burnley's season

The Clarets take on the Cottagers at Turf Moor in the Premier League

Jack Cork of Burnley is challenged by Josh Onomah of Fulham the last time these two sides faced one another. (Image: Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Sean Dyche does not feel Burnley's clash against Fulham is a pivotal game to the Clarets season in the grand scheme of things despite the impact it could have on the table.

The Clarets sit eight points clear of the drop zone heading into tomorrow evening's clash at Turf Moor.

Scott Parker's team are 18th in the table and, like Burnley, go into the fixture on the back of a victory.

The Cottagers beat Everton 2-0 over the weekend at Goodison Park, while the Clarets claimed three points on the road with an impressive win over Crystal Palace.

Should Burnley win tomorrow evening, they will go 11 points clear of the London outfit.

But on the other side of the coin, a Fulham win will reduce that deficit to just five points.

But Dyche does not see the match as a pivotal one for Burnley and drew on examples of other games earlier on in the season to explain why.

He said: "Not really, no, because the fact is no-one thought we'd win against Liverpool, no-one thought we'd come back against Villa, a really good win at Palace, but maybe a few were thinking could they go down there and put in that performance?

"The season is rarely defined, unless you have them right at the end of course, but I think they're rarely defined over one game.

"But it's helpful to say you've beat the teams around you. You've got to get the points where ever you can in the Premier League.

"We've done that over time when we've needed to. The oldest one in the book is the business end of the season, trust me, the first game of the season is the business end of the season and every game's important in the Premier League. Every game literally no matter who you play is very important.

"We try to win them all, obviously it's not that easy, but that's the intention."

Despite taking on a side in the bottom three, Dyche insists that the preparation will be the same for Burnley as if they were playing a side at the top end of the division.

He said: "I think the main thing we've always had here is respect for everyone in the Premier League and I think that's ongoing.

"Whatever game we prepare for, I can assure you that for the games people deem easier we certainly don't look at them like that and neither do the players.

"We'll be putting all of the prep work that we do, the same as we would for what people would say the top teams, your Liverpools, your Man Uniteds, your Man Citys, Arsenals etc etc I can assure you the prep is really, really in depth and exactly the same so we take everyone with a serious edge. There's no two ways about it."

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/dyche-burnley-fulham-premier-league-19848879

WhiteJC

Fulham Boss Reveals He Will Not Overburden Young Josh Maja After Brace On Starting Debut

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday before his side's visit to Turf Moor to face Burnley, manager Scott Parker made it clear that he will not put pressure on Josh Maja to carry Fulham's goal-scoring burden for the remainder of the season.

The Nigeria international was the hero as Fulham recorded a historic 2-0 win against Everton on Sunday, notching a brace on his starting debut in the Premier League.

The 22-year-old Maja, a product of the Fulham academy, has seamlessly fitted into the group but Parker is careful not to over-hype the potential of the Bordeaux loanee.

"What a way to start your (full) Premier League debut and to score two goals and for us to win the game was pretty special for him really, so I'm really conscious that I don't want to put a lot on someone's so young shoulders," Parker told reporters.

"I've been very impressed in a short space of time I've been working with Josh, hopefully that vein can continue really."

Parker continued : "He's fitted in very, very well. He's come into a young group, a real energetic, upbeat group of players and he's fitted in that bracket very, very well.

"He's also fitted in a short space of time of one who wants to learn, a player that wants to get better and I think that's vitally important when you come into where we are and he's made them strides very, very easy."

Maja was considered for a spot in the starting team vs Everton after Aleksandar Mitrovic tested positive for coronavirus.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38979

WhiteJC

The story of Josh Maja
Colm takes a closer look at our Deadline Day striker and asks if he's the man to save us.

I have to admit, I was underwhelmed when Josh Maja's signing was announced on Deadline Day. The only reason I knew so much about him was because of the Sunderland 'til I Die documentary on Netflix, where he was portrayed as the villain of the piece.

While his goalscoring record was good for The Black Cats, I dismissed it as they were in League One. Having watched him bang in two on his full Premier League debut against Everton, I'm happy to admit, maybe I was wrong and maybe he's the exact type of player we need. Here's a look back at Josh's rise to this point from his early rejection from Man City to making his full Premier League debut last night.

Starting off at the Cottage
Maja's youth career started with Crystal Palace, before moving onto Fulham. While here, he also played for Manchester City Youths but failed to secure a scholarship with the Citizens. Sunderland however managed to do a deal with us and gave him a two-year scholarship in 2015. He impressed so much in that scholarship that by May 2016 he was signing a professional contract with the Black Cats, who were then a Premier League club. He made an appearance off the bench in a League Cup game that season but didn't feature again for them that year.

Sunderland were subsequently relegated to the Championship, where Maja hoped to get some game time, having made the bench a few times in the previous Premier League campaign. However, it took until December and for former Fulham legend Chris Coleman to take over the reins for him to make his breakthrough. Coleman looked to the youth academy to try breathe some life into a Sunderland side who hadn't won a home game in a year. Coleman was quoted as saying "Young Josh, we've got to be careful we don't over-expose him too early and ask for too much too soon". At 18 years old, the man known in the academy as "Magic Maj" would come off the bench against Fulham to make his league debut. Four minutes later, he had his first goal and won Sunderland the match 1-0. Maja was a Sunderland hero! Unfortunately, though, he failed to score for the rest of the campaign and they were relegated for the second successive season.

Breakthrough season
Jack Ross took over Sunderland the next season and put his faith in Maja from the start. Josh repaid him by scoring in each of the first four games of the season as Sunderland looked to bounce straight back up. He went on to have an outstanding first half of the season, netting 15 league goals. But this is where the Sunderland story turns sour. Widely regarded as Sunderland's leading light and their greatest hope of securing promotion back to the Championship, Maja's agent sought the opportunity to try and secure a lucrative contract upgrade, knowing he had all the leverage with his current deal running out in six months and a £1m agents fee in the offing if he secures Josh a move abroad.

Tottenham had been to the Stadium of Light to watch Maja play on more than one occasion but Stewart Donald, the owner of Sunderland, declared "Josh has had a cracking offer [from Sunderland], he'll sign that!". What they didn't bank on though, was Josh's agent's greed. Neil Fox, Head of Operations at Sunderland, let Donald know that "this, for me isn't about Josh Maja, 100% about his agent – end of". Maja himself didn't help the situation by claiming in an interview that he didn't hear anything about the transfer speculation and that he "doesn't read the newspapers". At a Christmas lights ceremony Josh also declared "Yeah, I'll be here next year!".

It soon became apparent that Josh was not going to sign a contract extension with the club and owner Stewart Donald was forced to find out the news from Sky Sports News. Sunderland claimed they gave Maja exactly what he asked for but that the agent was stopping him from signing it and was determined to move him on to make a profit for himself. At the end of January 2019, it was announced that Josh had signed for Bordeaux for €1.5m and so came to an end his breakout season in English football. The fans were left devastated with the decision to sell him and thought that him leaving on a free at the end of the season was worth more to them if he kept scoring the goals that led them to promotion.

Pastures new
In Bordeaux, he was competing with Jimmy Briand for his position and it took three months for him to get his first goal, in a game against Nimes. However, in the same game, he suffered a knee injury that would keep him out of the rest of the season. In his second season, he would go on to score eight goals in 24 games, including a hat-trick against Nimes in the league, but his desire to return to England was apparent and in January 2021, he returned to take care of some unfinished business.

Fulham's saviour?
So here he is now, having only started one game for The Whites, and Fulham fans are hoping that he can be the man to help save them from what seemed to be an impending drop back down to the Championship. If his performance against Everton is anything to go by, we have a better chance of surviving with him, than we did without him. He was in the right place, at the right time for both his goals and that is the exact type of player that we've been missing all season.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-02-16-the-story-of-josh-maja/

WhiteJC

How Fulham can end their Turf Moor hoodoo

The first in a series of critical clashes against our relegation rivals since Fulham travel to Turf Moor to take on Burnley tomorrow night. Buoyed by an unexpected triumph on Merseyside on Sunday night, Scott Parker's side can suddenly sniff some momentum in their battle against the drop. The Whites are now seven points off safety with fifteen games to play and, whilst survival still looks like a tall order, there's no doubting that they have the stomach for the fight. After ending their Goodison Park curse whilst simultaneously snapping a thirteen-match winless streak, Fulham will be now be targeting a first win at Burnley since 1951.

It certainly won't be easy against Burnley, whose continued upsetting of the English footballing applecart remains one of the game's most unheralded stories. Sean Dyche's style might be uncompromising but it is effective – and all of his players know their roles. Christened 'the special one Mourinho' Dyche has unapologetically adopted an old-fashioned 4-4-2 (cruelly described in some quarters as 'Brexit Ball') and his slavish adherence to the system means Burnley are notoriously hard to break down. The Clarets have a miserly defence – conceding 4.72 fewer than their expected goals against – which is the third best in the league, behind Manchester City and Parker's own improving backline.

Burnley are content to work to their tried and tested modus operandi, sitting deep, soaking up the pressure and punishing opposition errors. There are ideally set up to wreak havoc on the counter-attack, with a midfield designed to pinch possession and feed a target man – mostly regularly the underrated New Zealand striker Chris Wood, who usually features as part of a traditional 'big man, little man' strike partnership. Dyche's side is somewhat disrupted presently, with Burnley having seven starters on the treatment table at the moment.

This includes top scorer Wood and former Fulham academy graduate Johann Berg Gudmundsson, the Icelandic winger, who scored one of Burnley's goals in their impressive 3-0 win at Crystal Palace last weekend. The injury list extends to both of Burnley's natural left backs, in former Leeds defender Charlie Taylor and Dutch full-back Erik Pieters, and – perhaps most importantly – centre half Ben Mee. The commanding Mee, who will miss the Fulham game through the concussion protocols after sustaining a head injury at Selhurst Park, is a leader who forms a formidable partnership with former Brentford defender James Tarkowski at the heart of Dyche's first choice back four. Burnley lost five of the six games he has missed this season, conceding twelve goals. In the period that Mee was out of the side, Burnley have lost 45.5% of their total eleven defeats this season and conceded 41.4% of the 29 goals they've let in.

Burnley sit deep, soaking up pressure and waiting for the opposition to make a mistake before counterattacking via a midfield designed to win the ball back then quickly transition the play up to a big target man, who either takes a shot himself or knocks it onto his smaller counterpart. The classic 'big man, little man' 4-4-2 playing style.

However, Burnley's starting line-up is currently somewhat disturbed, with the Clarets having 7 players on the treatment table at the moment. This includes their top scorer, Chris Wood, as well as Johann Gudmundsson, the Icelandic winger who scored in Burnley's 3-0 win over Crystal Palace on Saturday. The list of injured players also includes both of the Claret's natural left-backs, Charlie Taylor and Erik Pieters, and, perhaps most critically, centre back Ben Mee.

Ben Mee, who sustained a head injury against Crystal Palace, is one of Burnley's most important players. Not only does he often captain the side, but he also forms one half of a strong defensive partnership with James Tarkowski – a duo at the heart of a defence that constantly outperforms its XGA. In fact, to show Mee's true value to Burnley, Burnley lost 5 of the 6 games that he has missed this season and conceded 12 goals in these 6 games. This means that in these 6 games in which he has been absent, Burnley have lost 45.5% of their total 11 losses this season and conceded 41.4% of the total 29 goals that they have conceded so far.

Burnley's predicament this season is largely a result of their relatively poor displays at home. Turf Moor has a reputation as something of a fortress but the Clarets have lost five home matches already this year, conceding thirteen goals in eleven fixtures. They lost just seven at home throughout the entirety of last season – and there's a strong case to be made that they are missing the atmosphere created by their boisterous home crowd. It might be the perfect time for Fulham to turn Turf Moor into a happy place at long last, but success will still be tough to come by. Parker will need to get his team selection spot on.

My initial thoughts were that this fixture appeared ideal for Aleksander Mitrovic, with pace not a prerequisite to beat Burnley's deep defensive line and the Serbian's physicality would have suited what could be something of a blood and thunder encounter. In light of Mitrovic's untimely positive coronavirus diagnosis, Fulham should seek some continuity and stick with the 4-2-3-1 system that proved so successful against West Ham and, especially, Everton on Sunday. The visitors should set out to dominate possession again, using a number ten to unlock the home defence, which should be the perfect role for Ruben Loftus-Cheek – even if he's still struggling to find his shooting boots!

My preferred Fulham line-up would look like this:

I feel Ola Aina should remain at left back after an excellent display on Merseyside. The Nigerian international's versatility is a real asset and he linked up encouragingly with his compatriots, displaying the understanding you would expect having operated alongside Tosin Adarabioyo for much of the season, but seeking to get beyond Ademola Lookman and supplying Josh Maja regularly. Aina was not only defensively solid, but he also added attacking penetration which Robinson looks to be lacking at present, with impressive dribbling down the left flank and consistently good crosses – he can also score from long range as shown by his impressive goal against West Bromwich Albion in November. Kenny Tete enjoyed an excellent game against Everton – suggesting that he is rediscovering his best form with strong tackles and he should offer an attacking threat down the opposite flank.

The other pressing question is whether to reintroduce Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa into the midfield. Initially, I considered this a no brainer as his strength and dribbling ability could be real assets against a more physical side. But, after careful consideration and a discussion with a few other Fulham fans, I've changed my mind. Although Mario Lemina was substituted against Everton, he was fantastic at Goodison Park and deserves an opportunity to continue his blossoming partnership with Harrison Reed in the centre of the park. Anguissa is best deployed as a segundo volante and, with a number 10 in the line-up, his individual creativity is reduced. Anguissa's return might also inhibit Reed's own attacking output, which is the last thing we need after the former Southampton midfielder's man-of-the-match performance at the weekend. It is worth remembering that Anguissa has clearly been affected by Fulham's coronavirus outbreak – and there will be plenty of opportunities for him to make a big contribution before the end of the season.

What do you think of this line-up? Can Fulham finally get a win at Turf Moor? Give us your insights below.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/how-fulham-can-end-their-turf-moor-hoodoo/

WhiteJC

Fulham brimming with belief, says Parker

Fulham's fine win at Goodison Park on Sunday night might have surprised the Premier League and the pundits, but boss Scott Parker didn't consider it a huge turn up for the books. The Fulham head coach has always retained a firm belief in the quality his had at their disposal and insists that the Whites are full of confidence as they bid to pick up more momentum in their fight against the drop at Burnley tomorrow night.

Parker told his pre-match press confidence that his squad are full of confidence after winning at Everton and that his team's conviction didn't waver even during their thirteen match winless run.

"It brings a massive belief. I always felt, and I still feel, that belief was never an issue in that sense, because there was a lot of football to be played and we've been very, very competitive. The other night, was there a big difference in performance? Not really. Granted, I thought we played very, very well, but we've played very well over the last run of fourteen games.

"We've had four defeats out of that, and those four defeats came against the top four in the division. We've been very, very competitive, we've played very, very good football. We've been a little bit short, which I think we've all recognised, in terms of that final detail and not being on the right side of that. We were the right side of that at the weekend and we won the game.

"But it's fair to say belief, confidence, is there. You don't perform like we've performed if confidence isn't there, and there's still a lot of football to be played. We now have a massive week of games ahead of us, we go to Burnley on Wednesday, Sheffield United at the weekend, and then Crystal Palace. Like I keep saying, we know what we need to do, we need to win football matches, and we're at that point where we're going into another big week, and there's a big 16 games ahead of us."

Parker is under no illusions about the size of the challenge Fulham will face at Turf Moor.

"It's a really tough game. We understand that. What Sean's done there over a period of time has been remarkable. They go into the game with a couple of injures that they've picked up. I think Ben Mee won't be available due to concussion, Pieters came off so I think at this time of the year we're all struggling a little bit in terms of the games and where we are. Like always, it's a massive game for us ahead. We understand the problems that Burnley are going to cause us, and we need to be prepared for it."

Parker admitted to being disappointed about Aleksandar Mitrovic's unavailability after the Serbian striker tested positive for coronavirus, but told the press that Mitrovic was 'doing fine'.

"He's good, at this present moment in time he's got mild symptoms of the virus. Of course it's disappointing for Aleks, because at this moment I felt like he was coming out the other side of what's been a bit of a tough season. But it's disappointing to pick up the virus and now have to be away from the group and away from us at a big time where we need him as well."

The Fulham boss will likely have to call on Josh Maja, who scored twice against Everton, to lead the line once again – and Parker was full of praise for the impact his new signing has made.

"What a way to start, full Premier League debut for us and to score two goals and for us to win the game – it was pretty special for him really. I'm really conscious; I don't want to put a lot on someone so young's shoulders but I've been very impressed in the short space of time I've been working with Josh and hopefully that can continue really.

"He's fitted in very, very well. I think he's come into a young group, a real energetic upbeat group of players and he's fitted in to that bracket very, very well. He's also fitted in in a short space of time as one who wants to learn, a player who wants to get better and I think that's vitally important when you come in to where we are and he's made those strides very, very easily."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/fulham-brimming-with-belief-says-parker/

WhiteJC

Follow Fulham on TikTok!

Fans can now follow Fulham on the ever-growing social media platform of TikTok!

Currently the fastest growing social media channel, TikTok encourages users to share their creativity in the form of short videos.

Our new official channel will provide the opportunity to engage with fans as well as reach new and younger audiences.

The Official Fulham FC account - @FulhamFC - has already amassed thousands of new followers, and the uniqueness of the channel will offer fans access to exclusive short form video features that highlight fun and entertaining behind-the-scenes content, memorable moments as well as the latest trends and challenges.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/february/Follow-Fulham-on-TikTok-/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United's next 10 fixtures compared to relegation rivals Burnley and Fulham

Defeat against Chelsea saw Newcastle United slip to fourth bottom in the Premier League - with Fulham now seven points behind with a game in hand

Newcastle United slipped closer to the Premier League relegation zone when they were beaten 2-0 by Thomas Tuchel's resurgent Chelsea side on Monday night.

Goals from Olivier Giroud and Timo Werner settled the game at Stamford Bridge - leaving the Magpies seven points clear of third-bottom Fulham.

However, the Londoners do have a game in hand on Steve Bruce's men, who headed into their Monday night clash on the back of two wins in the last four games.

It's a mini run that has proved crucial in maintaining that seven-point gap at the foot of the table.

But as we head into the business end of the 2020/2021 season, how do Newcastle's next 10 fixtures compare to the clubs around them - namely Brighton, Burnley and Fulham?

Newcastle fixtures
Feb 21: Man United (A)

Feb 27: Wolves (H)

Mar 6: West Brom (A)

Mar 13: Aston Villa (H)

Mar 20: Brighton (A)

Apr 3: Spurs (H)

Apr 10: Burnley (A)

Apr 17: West Ham (H)

Apr 24: Liverpool (A)

May 1: Arsenal (H)

Recent victories against Spurs and Liverpool have certainly caught the eye, but Brighton remain one of the clubs in danger of being dragged into the relegation dog-fight.

Tricky upcoming fixtures against Leicester City and second-placed Manchester United await next month, but the in-form Seagulls will also be confident of picking up positive results in their next two, starting against fierce rivals Crystal Palace on Monday night.

Brighton fixtures
Feb 22: Crystal Palace (H)

Feb 27: West Brom (A)

Mar 6: Leicester City (H)

Mar 13: Southampton (A)

Mar 20: Newcastle (H)

Apr 3: Man United (A)

Apr 10: Everton (H)

April 17: Chelsea (A)

April 24: Sheffield United (A)

May 1: Leeds (H)

Burnley are typically robust when it comes to the business end of the season. Despite a poor start, Sean Dyche has guided the Clarets to a relatively safe 16th place after 23 games.

Crucially, they are the only relegation candidate who Fulham don't hold a game in hand on, so that eight-point gap looks even more promising for the Turf Moor outfit - with the sides set to meet on Wednesday evening.

Burnley fixtures
Feb 17: Fulham (H)

Feb 20: West Brom (H)

Feb 28: Spurs (A)

Mar 6: Arsenal (H)

Mar 13: Everton (A)

Apr 3: Southampton (A)

Apr 10: Newcastle (H)

Apr 17: Man United (A)

Apr 24: Wolves (A)

May 1: West Ham (H)

If you were to look back at the Premier League table earlier in the season, not many people would have given the Cottagers any hope of staying in the division this season.

Fulham have been much tougher to beat in recent weeks, though, and have given themselves a chance of pegging back the likes of Newcastle.

You can't help but thinking tomorrow night's result against Burnley will have a significant impact, too, and it's one Newcastle fans will certainly be keeping an eye on.

Fulham fixtures
Feb 17: Burnley (A)

Feb 20: Sheffield United (H)

Feb 28: Crystal Palace (A)

Mar 6: Liverpool (A)

Mar 13: Man City (H)

Mar 20: Leeds (H)

Apr 3: Aston Villa (A)

Apr 10: Wolves (H)

Apr 17: Arsenal (A)

May 1: Chelsea (A)

The verdict
Although they have slipped to fourth-bottom in the table, with Fulham also holding a game in hand, Bruce's side do have a healthy seven-point cushion on the sides currently in danger of dropping into the Championship.

Given that Sheffield United and West Brom are cut adrift, there are four sides that are realistically looking to avoid that final relegation place.

In many ways, Newcastle's immediate Premier League future is in their own hands.

A difficult trip to Manchester United awaits this weekend, but their next 10 fixtures include games with West Brom, Brighton and Burnley.

If the Magpies are able to return positive results in at least two of those fixtures, it will almost certainly have a huge say in what division they are playing in next season.

Fulham may have improved of late, but with back-to-back game against Liverpool and Manchester City to come, it will be some effort for them to continue that form and peg back the sides above them.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-fixtures-brighton-burnley-fulham-19848010

WhiteJC

New Premier League ball: Latest Nike Flight brings back retro vibe for the rest of the 2020/21 season

The new Nike Flight Premier League ball will be used for the first time on February 19 – and features throwback Total 90 design

We'll be getting a new Premier League ball for the third time this season when Wolves play Leeds on Friday night.

While the Nike Flight is the same ball that has been used since its release last summer, the latest design is reminiscent of the classic Total 90 Aerow design, used in the Premier League between 2004 and 2008

Available to buy on the Nike website from February 18, the new ball will be used in games for the remainder of the season. Tou can see how we rate the Flight in our list of the best footballs to buy if you're preparing for lockdown lifting this spring.

It's not the first time the Premier League has seen three balls over the course of a single season – last year's Merlin ball also came with three designs, suggesting this is going to be a regular feature in future.

The original Total 90 Aerow balls – now only available for the eagle-eyed on eBay – was an instant classic, used in a period where Thierry Henry, Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney and a young Cristiano Ronaldo were all in their Premier League primes.

All four were also Nike-sponsored players, meaning they were gracing top-flight pitches in the Total 90 boots too, which have also become revered classics.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/new-premier-league-ball-latest-nike-flight-brings-back-retro-vibe-for-the-rest-of-the-202021-season

WhiteJC

Josh Maja's heroics for Fulham against Everton could just be the start of something special at Craven Cottage... his goal-scoring instincts are precisely what Scott Parker has craved as he battles to stay in the Premier League

Josh Maja scored twice on his first start for Fulham in a 2-0 win over Everton
    Scott Parker's side have the worst shot conversion rate in the Premier League
    Fulham will be hoping Maja's goal-scoring instincts can help keep them up
    They are seven points behind 17th placed Newcastle but have a game in hand

Scott Parker would have enjoyed hearing Josh Maja's breakdown of his full debut double at Everton almost as much as seeing it.

Maja was 'in the right place at the right time' for his first goal, he explained, and anticipated the rebound chance for his second because 'I'm a gambler.'

This might be Maja's first crack at the Premier League but he arrives with just the sort of goal-scoring instincts relegation battlers Fulham have been crying out for.

Josh Maja scored twice as Fulham beat Everton 2-0 for their first league win since November

Scott Parker will be hoping his new striker can fire Fulham to safety and stave off relegation

Maja's goals were both tap-ins but showed an instinct in front of goal that Fulham have missed

His two Goodison Park tap-ins may have looked easy and, to some, even lucky.

But, to those who have worked closely with Maja, they were familiar displays of the movement and penalty box nous of the intelligent, natural scorer they know him as.

Fulham's need for one is exactly why they pushed ahead to sign Maja on loan from Bordeaux with a £9m option last month, after he was recommended to them and they liked what they saw.

They are third bottom and seven points from safety, the Premier League's third lowest scorers, have the worst shot conversion rate in the Premier League - according to Opta - and the second biggest gap between the number of goals they have scored and should have scored.

Enter Maja, 22, who has shown throughout his youth and fledgling senior career that if chances are created, he can convert them.

Manchester City's head of academy recruitment Joe Shields took a young Maja to Crystal Palace when he was a scout for the south Londoners and recalls once seeing him score nine goals in an under-11 game against Millwall. 'He has always been very clinical,' Shields said.

During a short trial at Chelsea a young Maja scored nine times in three games, though they were sufficiently stocked in the striker department at the time.

The striker moved to Bordeaux in January 2019 after impressing in League One for Sunderland

Fifteen goals in 24 League One games for Sunderland earned Maja, who also had youth spells at Fulham, Arsenal and City, a January 2019 move to Bordeaux where, in his first full season he scored once every 112 minutes.

This season had been slower going with fortune evading him in France while new manager Jean-Louis Gasset's methods also didn't suit Maja.

But there was a confidence from all parties that he would be a better fit for Fulham and, with Aleksandar Mitrovic set to miss two more games due to Covid-19, Maja has the chance to build on his encouraging start.

Parker said: 'I don't want to put a lot on someone so young's shoulders but I've been very impressed in a short space of time I've been working with Josh. Hopefully that can continue.'

Fulham boss Parker revealed he is already very impressed with what he has seen from Maja

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9266563/Josh-Majas-heroics-Fulham-against-Everton-showed-help-Scott-Parkers-stay-up.html

WhiteJC

Revealed! The shocking stats that should concern Steve Bruce as Newcastle United battle Fulham, West Brom, Brighton Burnley and Sheffield United for Premier League safety
Sleepwalking or simply just walking? Whatever way you describe it, the same outcome arises. Newcastle United are heading towards the Premier League relegation places.

And a look at the key statistics - compared to their relegation rivals – only fuels growing fears of a third season in the Championship during Mike Ashley's dismal 14-year tenure.

Fulham are showing clear signs of improvement. Newcastle, without top scorer Callum Wilson, is a terrifying thought. As if their attacking stats weren't bad enough...

Wilson, signed from Bournemouth last summer for £20million, had virtually paid back his price tag before his injury layoff – playing a direct part in 15 of United's 25 Premier League goals – 10 goals and five assists

On current viewing, Newcastle's goal tally is level with Brighton and six better than Fulham and West Brom, while Burnley and Sheffield United have scored 15 and 17, respectively.

But In terms of Fulham, the signing of striker Josh Maja could prove to be a defining piece of business given the Cottagers are 10th for big chances missed.

Going by the former Sunderland man's poaching finishes during the 2-0 win at Everton, he might just be the man to convert those 'golden opportunities'.

The Magpies are bottom of the big chances missed with 14 but that's probably because they don't create many either.

Indeed, Bruce's side have registered just 233 shots on goal, that's an average of around nine attempts per game, which is also bettered by Fulham with 271.

Sheffield United, Burnley and West Brom are behind that area, which perhaps explains why their goals tally so low.

The argument surrounding Brighton this season is they create chances but struggle to convert their chances – and the stats certainly back that up.

On big chances created and goal attempts, the Seagulls sit comfortably in the top half.

Possession stats in favour of Fulham and Brighton
This won't come as any surprise to United fans but we'll put it in black and white anyway.

High possession percentage has never been associated with Bruce's Newcastle. Indeed, the only surprise is there is a team below them.

Sam Allardyce's West Brom have averaged a division low of 37% possession per game, bettered narrowly by Newcastle by 1.5%.

Above the Magpies is Burnley with 39.4%, while Sheffield United have managed 41.9% so far.

A possession-based style of play tends to be associated with Brighton (8th) and Fulham (11th), who average around 51.9% and 49%.

In terms of total passes, that accumulates to a similar viewing.

The defensive side – look away West Brom
Only West Brom (55) in the bottom of six of the Premier League have conceded more goals than Newcastle (40), the joint-fourth lowest with Sheffield United.

Burnley have the eighth-best defensive record. Both Brighton and Fulham have conceded 30 and 31 goals, respectively.

Delving deeper into that, Karl Darlow has faced the second-most shots at a staggering 335 – albeit the majority of which were off target – with West Brom again bottom (353).

Taking those into account, Fulham's 255 shots against suggests they aren't as heavily reliant on their goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.

Incredibly, the Brighton defence do extremely well to restrict efforts on their goal – only Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea have a better record.

Worryingly, Fulham, the team in reach of Newcastle, are doing better in all of the key areas.

Indeed, it is worth remembering that the arrival of Graeme Jones has encouraged a more attacking style of play in recent, so those stats can improve.

But ultimately, they need to improve quickly or you could say the writing is on the wall for Bruce and Newcastle United.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/revealed-shocking-stats-should-concern-steve-bruce-newcastle-united-battle-fulham-west-brom-brighton-burnley-and-sheffield-united-premier-league-safety-3136689