https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 17/02/21...

Started by WhiteJC, February 17, 2021, 12:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Scott Parker confirms Fulham's Josh Maja had a calf problem vs Everton

Burnley vs Fulham

Burnley and Fulham are set to face off later today in a Premier League clash.

The tie is a big one for both sides and could have huge ramifications on this season's title picture.

The Cottagers head into the game 18th in the Premier League table, seven points adrift of 17th place Newcastle, with Wednesday's tie their game in hand on the Magpies.

As for Burnley, they are actually just one point above Newcastle, meaning a loss against Fulham could very well drag them back into a relegation scrap.

Scott Parker provides Josh Maja update

Fulham's last outing before Burnley saw them earn a huge win over Europe-chasing Everton.

Josh Maja, on loan from Bordeaux, netted twice in said tie to earn his new club a huge three points.

As a result, Fulham fans will no doubt be desperate for their new hitman to start again on Wednesday.

However, when speaking pre-Burnley, Scott Parker confirmed that Maja had a calf issue vs the Toffees, which was why he was brought off.

Parker was asked if Maja's match load may need to be managed, to which he stated:

"Maybe that will be the case."

"He didn't play a lot (before signing). He was stretching his calf which is why we brought him off. We may have to manage him. He seems very fit. Condition-wise, credit to him, that's the work he must have done despite not playing. It is something we will need to keep an eye on."

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/scott-parker-confirms-fulhams-josh-maja-had-a-calf-problem-vs-everton/

WhiteJC

Our top 5 cursed grounds
In his debut piece, Jack Stroudley looks at our most barren away trips.

The thought of heading to Goodison Park always prompts a collective groan from Fulham fans. It's a ground not within walking distance of a mainline train station, with a lack of away pubs, on top of the inevitable defeat that has plagued us for years.

But after our remarkable 2-0 victory, our long wait for a win at Everton is over. So, looking around at other clubs, where else do we struggle to pick up results? The places that aren't spoke about as much but seem to be cursed for us? I've gone through the current 92 professional league clubs and worked out where Fulham have the most torrid time (league games only) – and they're all in the Premier League.

5) West Ham- 11 visits since out last league win
A short trip to East London and we find ourselves at the home of West Ham. Despite not being too far for fans to go, it's not been the best place to visit as a Fulham fan. While we haven't yet had our first win at the Olympic Stadium you'd have to go back 11 visits to November 2001 in order find our last league win away at the Hammers, then at Upton Park. A 2-0 victory with goals from Sylvain Legwinski and Steed Malbranque moved us up to 11th, a position I'm sure we'd all love to be in right now!

4) Chelsea- 17 visits since our last league win
It pains me to put them on this list, but sadly heading to Fulham Broadway FC has never been a particular enjoyable experience for the real team in Fulham. It's been 17 games to be exact since the last time we picked up a win at Stamford Bridge, coming off 2-0 winners way back in 1979, with goals from John Beck and Gordon Davies. Sadly in the 42 years that have passed we've never managed to come up trumps down the road. But still, at least we don't support them!

3) Southampton- 20 visits since our last league win
This one came as a bit of shock to me when doing research but we've had a really rancid time heading down the south coast, first to the Dell, and more recently to St Mary's Stadium. You'd have to head back a whopping 86 years to 1935 when we last picked up three points there. We won that day 2-1 in the old English Second Division. It's also worth noting that this is Fulham's only ever league victory at Southampton, and since then we've drawn six and lost 14. At least we have a chance to make it two wins come May.

2) Burnley- 27 visits since our last league win
Unlike Jordan North, Turf Moor has certainly not been a happy place for Fulham. A long journey up the Lancashire is usually met with defeat, most recently in a game where we scored all three goals but lost 2-1, which just shows the luck (or lack of) we have at this ground. In terms of our last win at Turf Moor, we're heading back 70 years to 1951, where we won 2-0 in the old English First Division with Bob Thomas scoring both goals for the Whites. In that time we've picked up a measly five points on the long trip up north. We play them tonight of course, and with Ben Mee confirmed to be out for the game, can we finally end our horrid run here?

1) Arsenal- 28 visits since our last league win
We haven't got to travel too far to find our worst performing ground in the country. Whether it's The Manor Ground, Highbury or The Emirates Stadium, we've never had a good time playing our London rivals. I'd love to give you a date to how long it's been since our last win at Arsenal, but I can't – we've never won there! We've played Arsenal 28 times in the league away from home and have never came away with three points. In fact, we've only picked up five points there in our entire club history. It's truly been a miserable place to go to, but fortunately we don't have to suffer it in the flesh this season when we face them in April – which means we'll probably snatch a surprise win.

Lookman's panenka means our miserable run at West Ham continues, but we still have the chance to knock four of these grounds off our list this season, starting tonight at Turf Moor. And if we pull off more than a few surprises, Premier League survival could well be the reward.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-02-17-our-top-5-cursed-grounds/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham signed 'incredible' player for 30x less than his original asking price

Fulham's patient approach to signing Joachim Andersen on loan saved them over £25 million, according to the Telegraph.

They report that until 36 hours before the summer's transfer deadline, they were told the only way they could sign him was by paying 30 million euros (£26.1 million).

But they held their nerve and eventually loaned him in for 1 million euros (around £872,000).

There is another payment of the same amount due if Fulham survive. But as it stands, Fulham have landed the defender for 30 times less than what they were quoted originally.

The report outlines that Scott Parker has been thrilled with his 'incredible' impact on the Fulham backline.

The fact he was made stand-in captain after just four games at Craven Cottage is testament to that.

The report also outlines that a bid of around £25 million from Villarreal was rejected for Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa.

There was a belief that he would ultimately come good, and Fulham feel that he has.

There was frustration among some fans that it took so long to get Andersen signed.

But it's clear from the vast reduction in the asking price that patience paid off in this instance.

And he hasn't shown any adverse effects so far from a lack of pre-season or time to get familiar with his teammates.

https://www.thefocus.news/football/report-fulham-signed-incredible-player-for-30x-less-than-his-original-asking-price/

WhiteJC

Burnley vs Fulham: 17/02/2021 – match preview and predicted starting XIs

Burnley vs Fulham

Date: 17/02/2021

K/O: 18:00

Venue: Turf Moor

Referee: Jonathan Moss

TV: Sky Sports

Fulham travel to Turf Moor this Wednesday off the back of an impressive victory over Everton. They never looked like they would lose the game against the high flying Merseyside team, with Josh Maja scoring twice on his first Premier League start. His goals could be vital for the South Londoner's survival, though it will be a big ask from the inexperienced and young striker.

Fulham are currently as close to the bottom of the league as they are to survival this season. They currently find themselves eight points behind Wednesday's hosts, with this fixture likely to be the most important match of the club's season thus far. A win sees them go within four points of safety, with bottom side Sheffield United next on the club's fixture list. There could be hope for Fulham yet.

As for Burnley, they themselves enter this fixture off the back of an impressive 3-0 victory over Crystal Palace. Just like Fulham, this is a very important game for the Clarets who can climb  into 14th in the league and eleven points away from the relegation zone.

Burnley surprised me in the previous fixture as they exposed a fragile Palace defence. They were ruthless in the first half, with the game seemingly won within ten minutes. However, they won't find Fulham so willing to make life easy. Scott Parker has turned his side into a well organised defensive unit, who have become very difficult to beat. Only a handful of teams have conceded less than Fulham in the last ten games, at which time they've only lost three. On paper, this game should scream 0-0, two sides who may be cautious in throwing too many bodies forward. But with Fulham needing the points, you can expect them to come with a real attacking intent, something the host may be able to exploit, just as they did on the weekend.

Team News

Burnley

Club captain Ben Mee has been ruled out for the visit of Fulham due to a concussion suffered in the win over Palace. Sean Dyche has reported that the defender is fine, but will miss the game due to the Premier League's concussion protocols. Erik Pieters was another player who left the field of play injured against Palace on the weekend, who is a doubt for this fixture.

Matej Vydra, who missed the last fixture, will be back in contention, but it's still too soon for Charlie Taylor and Chris Wood. Though it's an important fixture for the Clarets, Sean Dyche has stated he will not risk rushing players back into contention. Phil Bardsley and Kevin Long will be the obvious replacements for Pieters and Mee, who were their replacements against Palace. I predict no other changes made by the Clarets. 

Fulham

Aleksander Mitrovic is still unavailable due to a positive COVID test and is the only noticeable absentee for Fulham. This will more than likely see Josh Maja keep his place in the starting XI. Scott Parker may have some concerns about putting too much pressure on the young striker's shoulders. But he certainly impressed in the win against Everton, replicating his scoring prowess shown in the Sunderland Till I Die documentary.

Parker has been shuffling the pack in recent weeks, changing formation in the previous three fixtures. They were brilliant against Everton on the weekend, well balanced in both attack and defence. So on this occasion, the manager may opt for an, "if it's not broke, don't fix it" approach. However, past experiences would suggest otherwise.

Predicted Starting XIs

Burnley (4-4-2): Pope; Lowton, Tarkowski, Long, Bardsley; Gudmundsson, Westwood, Cork, McNeil; Barnes, Vydra

Fulham (4-2-3-1): Areola; Tete, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Robinson; Anguissa, Reed; Reid, Loftus-Cheek, Lookman; Maja

Score Prediction: Burnley 0-1 Fulham

For all the praise I've expressed for Fulham after their recent victory, this was their only win from the previous thirteen league matches. They've lacked a cutting edge in attack this season, something Mitrovic has been unable to replicate from recent years. Lookman will have excited the fans during his time at the club, but he's another player who lacks a cutting edge on a consistent basis to keep Fulham in the league. Step in Josh Maja. It may be too soon to dub the young striker the club's saviour, but he's an out and out striker which they've lacked at times this season. They now have a focal point in attack, someone who has the awareness to be in the right place at the right time, just as his goals showed on the weekend. Because of this, I can see the visitors snatching the win against Burnley. I envisage this to be a close match, with few clear cut chances given to either side. It's who can take these chances, with my money going on the young Josh Maja.

https://90maat.com/burnley-vs-fulham-17-02-2021-match-preview-and-predicted-starting-xis/

WhiteJC

'I Played All Of Last Season At LWB' - Fulham's Aina Sheds Light On Role He Played Vs Everton

Ola Aina has revealed that the left wing-back role is not new to him as he was deployed in the same position several times last season at Torino.

The Nigeria international arguably put in his best performance in a Fulham shirt as Scott Parker's team recorded a historic 2-0 win against Everton on Sunday.

Playing as a left-back, Aina found joy down the left flank, and his marauding runs forward helped created chances for the strikers, one of which was converted by Josh Maja two minutes into the second half.

"I played all of last season at left wing-back, so it's a position that I'm familiar with," Aina explained to the official website of Fulham.

"Whatever the team needs, if I can step in somewhere and fill a position, then that's something that I'm happy to do.

"I'd like to add more assists and maybe a few more goals, so it was good to get up and running and finally get an assist this season.

"I was looking for Josh, I was looking for that ball into him, so I'm really happy it came off."

Fulham, who are seven points from safety, face Burnley at Turf Moor this evening, looking to record back-to-back wins for the first time in the Premier League this season.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38987

WhiteJC

Parker relying on ice baths and a back four in battle to stay up

Ice baths have a "big part" to play as Fulham look to get back-to-back wins when they face Burnley on Wednesday night.

The Whites secured a vital three points against Everton on Sunday, but are back in action just 72 hours later.

Mario Lemina limped off seconds before the end feeling the strain of a big performance at Goodison Park, while scorer Josh Maja needed an ice pack to his calf.

Head coach Scott Parker explained: "Yesterday (Monday) was recovery so Tuesday was preparation before we fly out  for the game.

"We still use ice baths. It's still a big part of our recovery protocol along with other things.

"Straight after games, players get into compression suits and the next day there's a lot of different procedures, medical and that, the club have put it place, but ice baths are still a big part of recovery."

Parker also thinks a back four in defence is the way forward.

His team previously lined up with three centre-backs and two wing-backs, but the new look has found favour with the boss.

"It gets an extra attacker on the pitch," he said.

"We're going into games wanting to win them. That's not to say we were going into games with five not to win. Of course we were.

"But certainly (a four) gives us more flexibility, and we have worked on that for some time now. It's easy for the boys to go back and forth."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-relying-on-ice-baths-and-a-back-four-in-battle-to-stay-up

WhiteJC

Fulham Star Out On Loan Lifts Lid On Nice Interest, Sealing Deadline Day Move

Fulham defender Maxime Le Marchand has revealed that Royal Antwerp's continued interest in him, the prospect of Europa League football and a talk with coach Franky Vercauteren convinced him to join the Great Old.

Le Marchand joined Belgian top flight club Royal Antwerp from Premier League side Fulham on loan until the end of the season on the final day of the winter transfer window.

Before moving to Belgium, the 31-year-old was heavily linked with a return to former club Lille and the player has now revealed that it became impossible for the transfer to go through, though he felt it was ideal.

Looking back at his deadline day move to Antwerp, Le Marchand explained that he was delighted that the Great Old had continued to follow him, having expressed an interest in him in the summer.

The Frenchman went on pick out Antwerp's continued interest in him, the prospect to play Europa League football and a conversation with coach Franky Vercauteren as the reasons why he decided to join the Belgian club on loan.

"There was interest from France, Nice, for example, wanted me back", Le Marchand told Belgian daily Het Nieuwsblad.

"That was ideal because I knew the club, the league and the coach.

"[But] in the end it turned out to be impossible, but luckily Antwerp were still interested.

"On deadline day my agent asked if he could move up a gear and I replied 'Of course!'

"The fact that the club had continued to follow me charmed me.

"There was the Europa League to convince me and the phone call with the coach reassured me.

"He really wanted to add me to his ranks."

Antwerp do not have a purchase option included in their deal with Fulham for Le Marchand but the player is open to extending his stay at the club beyond the summer if things go well.

"[It is a loan deal without a purchase option] but if I feel good here, I can always talk", the Fulham loanee said.

Le Marchand's contract with Fulham runs until the end of the 2021/22 season.

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/02/17/fulham-star-out-on-loan-lifts-lid-on-nice-interest-sealing-deadline-day-move/495082/

WhiteJC

We'll take wins wherever we can get them

Scott Parker brings his Fulham team to Turf Moor for the first time as they return to the North West quickly following Sunday's 2-0 win at Everton.

Parker said it has given his squad a big lift. "It brings a massive belief, he said. "I always felt, and I still feel, that belief was never an issue in that sense, because there was a lot of football to be played and we've been very, very competitive. The other night, was there a big difference in performance? Not really. Granted, I thought we played very, very well, but we've played very well over the last run of fourteen games.

"We've had four defeats out of that, and those four defeats came against the top four in the division. We've been very, very competitive, we've played very, very good football. We've been a little bit short, which I think we've all recognised, in terms of that final detail and not being on the right side of that. We were the right side of that at the weekend and we won the game.

"But it's fair to say belief, confidence, is there. You don't perform like we've performed if confidence isn't there, and there's still a lot of football to be played. We now have a massive week of games ahead of us, we go to Burnley on Wednesday, Sheffield United at the weekend, and then Crystal Palace. Like I keep saying, we know what we need to do, we need to win football matches, and we're at that point where we're going into another big week, and there's a big 16 games ahead of us."

It's Burnley first in this run of three games and he admitted to being under no illusions about the size of the challenge his team will face.

"It's a really tough game," he said. "We understand that. What Sean's done there over a period of time has been remarkable. They go into the game with a couple of injures that they've picked up. I think Ben Mee won't be available due to concussion, Pieters came off so I think at this time of the year we're all struggling a little bit in terms of the games and where we are. Like always, it's a massive game for us ahead. We understand the problems that Burnley are going to cause us, and we need to be prepared for it."

He's likely to start again with Josh Maja up front, the player who got a brace on his first start. Parker said of him: "What a way to start, full Premier League debut for us and to score two goals and for us to win the game, it was pretty special for him really. I'm really conscious; I don't want to put a lot on someone so young's shoulders but I've been very impressed in the short space of time I've been working with Josh and hopefully that can continue really.

"He's fitted in very, very well. I think he's come into a young group, a real energetic upbeat group of players and he's fitted in to that bracket very, very well. He's also fitted in, in a short space of time, as one who wants to learn, a player who wants to get better and I think that's vitally important when you come in to where we are and he's made those strides very, very easily."

While fans are looking at tonight as a key game, Sean Dyche continues to work one game at a time and ahead of Fulham's visit he said: "My feelings on not targeting games is that I can't talk about the need for consistency, and then only apply it to certain games. My way of looking at is that we should be up for every game. We should be well organised and ready to deliver every time. If that mindset is right over the course of a season, then you're ready to take on any team.

"I believe we are organised, we're fit, we have a strong mentality towards performing as well as we can, and we have a fair amount of technical quality as well. On the training ground I stress the need for those things every time, so I don't think I can then talk about the need to target certain opponents. I want to see them perform at a high level all the time."

With Burnley looking to move closer to the teams just ahead of us in the table, he added: "It's not just about us. There are a few teams around that 25 to 29 points mark, five in all, so they (Fulham) won't just be thinking about catching us. I can assure you they will be looking to win games. They're out to win as many as they can.

"I'm sure Scott Parker won't just have been saying we need to get wins against the teams around us, and they've shown that with a very good victory at Everton. We're the same, we'll take wins wherever we can get them. When we've been playing catch up, it hasn't been a case of us shifting our focus, because I always expect a lot from my players, whatever the circumstances. Our job is to be clear minded about what we want to achieve, and to be ready to go out and deliver performances."

https://www.uptheclarets.com/well-take-wins-wherever-we-can-get-them

WhiteJC

Premier League to show all games live on TV until fans able to return to stadiums

The continued absence of supporters from stadia amid the Covid-19 pandemic means the Premier League will continue to make matches available for fans to watch live in the UK; all matches from January 30 through to the last weekend of February already being shown live in the UK

The Premier League has confirmed all matches will be available to watch live in the UK until fans return to stadiums.

The continued absence of fans from stadia due to the Covid-19 pandemic has seen the Premier League extend its decision to make all games available.

Last month, the Premier League announced all matches from January 30 through to the last weekend of February would be available for fans in the UK to watch live.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Premier League said: "Details of broadcast selections for March and the rearrangement of previously postponed matches will be announced in due course.

"The Premier League and its clubs remain committed to an accessible solution for fans. The UK live broadcast arrangements will be reviewed in consultation with clubs and in line with any decisions made by Government regarding the return of spectators to stadiums."

Free match highlights on Sky Sports digital
It couldn't be simpler: we'll have free-to-watch match highlights of every Premier League game on the Sky Sports website, app, and the Sky Sports YouTube channel shortly after full-time of every fixture.

In addition, Sky subscribers will also be able to enjoy in-game clips from Sky Sports matches in our Digital match blogs.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12220874/premier-league-to-show-all-games-live-on-tv-until-fans-able-to-return-to-stadiums

WhiteJC

Mitrovic loves Fulham – how much do we love him back?
Mitrovic has been a shadow of his former self for much of this season – but there is plenty more to come, as Rhys explains.

Aleksander Mitrovic has been forced into another spell on the sidelines during what has been the worst season of his professional career – and he needs support from Fulham fans more than ever before having delivered when it matters most in the past.

For various reasons, it's not often that a Fulham player has the potential to become a club legend, but Mitrovic represents a golden chance of a true Craven Cottage great that cannot be missed.

Flawless beginnings
The Serbian was crying out for a new spiritual home after his ill-fated time at Newcastle, and in Fulham he found a place he'd be loved.

His 12 goals in 17 Championship loan appearances gave Tom Cairney the tools to send us back to the Premier League, and despite the immediate relegation, his 11 goals that campaign were a rare shining light.

Last time out, Mitrovic was at his clinical best in front of goal. His 26 goals handed him the Golden Boot, a strike every 130 minutes across a gruelling season in which he carried Scott Parker's men over the line.

Recent struggles
Following his brace against Leeds on matchday two in September, Mitrovic has gone 16 league fixtures without a goal, his worst period in a Fulham shirt.

Although it's clear that the attributes of Mitrovic were not best suited to Scott Parker's system of wingbacks and very mobile forwards, the switch to a back four offered a glimpse of hope for the striker, who impressed as a creator with two assists against West Brom.

His positive test for COVID-19 has offered another yet hurdle for the Championship king to overcome, but it's important to remember that Mitro isn't going nowhere anytime soon.

Still only 26, the Serbian has now made 120 appearances for the Fulham and scored 52 goals, as well as being the key player in two separate promotions to the Premier League.

With three full seasons remaining on his current contract and an undying love for both Craven Cottage and those who fill it, there's plenty to keep Mitrovic in west London despite his recent struggles.

Let's love our legend
It's not the first time I've rehashed quotes from previous summers, but having a player at Fulham that has a very real chance of becoming a club legend still feels somewhat alien.

Icons are usually built from boyhood fans of the respective team, but the way that Mitrovic has been outspoken about his love for Fulham is almost unprecedented during my 20 years of fandom.

There has been some necessary debate about Mitro's actions during this most recent lockdown, but a little support might go a long way in bridging the gap until the forward can be reunited with his beloved fans at Craven Cottage.

Times have been tough for our Serbian powerhouse in recent months, but with just a love, the fire can be rekindled.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-02-17-mitrovic-loves-fulham-how-much-do-we-love-him-back/

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy says Callum Wilson injury could suck Newcastle into relegation fight

Former England midfielder Danny Murphy has suggested that the injury suffered to Callum Wilson and the lack of quality Newcastle have to replace him could leave them vulnerable to a resurgent Fulham in the relegation battle.

The Magpies have seen their position in the Premier League table go from comfortable to uneasy in recent weeks as their 2-0 loss against Chelsea on Monday was their ninth defeat in 13 matches and leaves them in 17th place just seven points clear of Fulham, who have a game in hand.

Also, Wilson's injury deprives them of their 10-goal top scorer, with nobody else in the squad netting more than five goals all season (Transfermarkt).

Steve Bruce opted to go with Dwight Gayle in place of Wilson from the start against Chelsea, but the 30-year-old was unsuited to the role that the former Bournemouth man has been playing to good effect over the last few weeks. It was only Gayle's first league start of the season (Sofascore), but it did seem like a tweak in system might be needed to accommodate him, or else other players will have to start instead.

Speaking to talkSPORT, Murphy suggested that, without Wilson, Newcastle lack enough quality in the final third, while he also believes that Fulham might have found a reliable scorer at just the right time in reference to deadline day arrival Josh Maja. He also thinks that the Magpies could start to panic if they see their relegation rivals pick up a couple of wins in their next few matches, saying:

In isolation, this particular game against Chelsea wouldn't worry me so much. But the lack of quality that Newcastle don't have in the attacking areas, especially when Wilson's not there is the biggest worry.

Whereas you look at Fulham, who are trying to chase them down. They seem to be playing with more confidence and now have found a guy who they hope can get the goals. So if he can great it gives Fulham a fighting chance, they've got three big games coming up and Newcastle will then feel the pressure.

If Fulham in their next three games can win two of them against teams around them, then Newcastle will start having a little panic. But right now their still in a reasonably comfortable position because there is a big gap, but Wilson is a big blow for them.

Read Newcastle verdict

Murphy's comments could be reflected in the thoughts of many Newcastle supporters. Worryingly, the only people who do not seem overly concerned with the shortening proximity to the relegation zone are the players, coaching staff and Mike Ashley. Bruce stated after the Chelsea game that they would be OK, but it is difficult to see exactly what the basis is for that assumption.

At the moment, Fulham are looking a much more in-form team than the Magpies, steadily gathering points over the last couple of months to heighten their chances of top-flight survival.

As Murphy suggests, Newcastle did not pose any real threat in the final third against Chelsea without Wilson, although they were up against one of the form teams in the league at the moment. It will therefore be better to reserve definitive judgment until they have played against lower-ranked opponents, but Murphy's fears for their top-flight status are not unfounded.

https://readnewcastle.com/2021/02/17/danny-murphy-worry-callum-wilson-injury-newcastle-relegation-fight/

WhiteJC

Burnley vs Fulham live stream: how to watch the Premier League wherever you are in the world

Watch a Burnley vs Fulham live stream, as both sides target back-to-back wins

Burnley vs Fulham live stream, Sky Sports, Wednesday 17 February, 6pm GMT
Fulham have the chance to gain some ground in their fight for survival when they travel to Burnley in the Premier League on Wednesday.

The game was originally scheduled to take place on 2 January, but it was postponed due to a coronavirus outbreak at the London club.

Fulham go into the game in 18th place, seven points adrift of safety, but their game in hand could reduce that gap if they can pull off back-to-back league wins for the first time this season.

A double from Josh Maja earned the Cottagers a shock 2-0 win at Everton on Sunday, their third victory of the season.

Scott Parker's side have lost just once in their last five games and three times in the last 12, but nine draws in that time has stopped them from making headway in the survival scrap.

Victory over a direct relegation rival in Burnley would be a momentous result though, cutting the gap to the Clarets to five points.

Sean Dyche's side also come into the game on the back of a victory, having thrashed Crystal Palace 3-0 on Saturday to end a four-match winless run.

Kick-off is at 6pm GMT and the game is being shown on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League in the UK. See below for watching details where you are.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/burnley-vs-fulham-how-to-watch-livestream-premier-league-online-sky-sports

WhiteJC

How is ex-Reading and Fulham player Pavel Pogrebnyak getting on these days?

Not many players scored a Premier League hat-trick in fewer appearances than Pavel Pogrebnyak.

The Russian striker needed just three to score his treble for Fulham in a thumping victory over Wolves almost nine years ago, which turned out to be half the goals he managed during his short loan spell in West London.

Six goals and 12 appearances later, he joined Reading following his release from Russian outfit Zenit St Petersburg and would end up adding five more Premier League goals during his first year at the Madejski Stadium, although he was unable to save the Royals from relegation.

Pogrebnyak's best goalscoring return in England came the next season when he struck 13 times in the Championship, although Reading missed out on finishing in the top-six courtesy of a final day draw with Burnley.

The striker would stick around for a further 12 months before returning to Russia.

But what has the ex-Royals frontman been doing since leaving Madejski Stadium?

After his departure from Reading, perhaps unsurprisingly, Pogrebnyak has spent the rest of his playing in Russia.

Two-and-half stop-start seasons at Dynamo Moscow was followed by a move to Russian Premier League side Tosno midway through 2017-2018.

And whilst their financial problems forced them to liquidate at the end of that season, the former Fulham and Reading striker played a part in Tosno winning the only major trophy in their history in the Russian Cup – with Pogrebnyak scoring in their quarter-final victory over Luch Vladivostok.

In search of a new club after Tosno dissolving, Pogrebnyak continued his spell in Russia by joining Ural Yekaterinburg in the summer of 2018.

Pogrebnyak has since been released before re-signing back in October – with his solitary goal this season coming in Ural's draw with FC Dynamo Moscow.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/how-is-ex-reading-and-fulham-player-pavel-pogrebnyak-getting-on-these-days/

WhiteJC

Fulham suffer blow as key player tests positive for coronavirus ahead of Sheffield United clash

The Blades head to Craven Cottage this weekend for a huge game in their battle against relegation from the Premier League

Fulham have suffered a big blow ahead of Sheffield United's trip to Craven Cottage on Saturday, with star striker Aleksandar Mitrovic ruled out after contracting coronavirus.

The Blades face a huge game in their battle against relegation from the Premier League as they head to London this weekend, with Scott Parker's side seven points ahead of them in the bottom three.

The Cottagers will be on a high following their surprise 2-0 win over Everton last weekend, but they'll be without one of their key players for the visit of Chris Wilder's men.

Mitrovic has been ruled out after testing positive for Covid-19 before the win at Goodison Park, meaning he now faces a 10-day period of self-isolation.

The Serbian international will also miss Fulham's game against Burnley this evening as they look to narrow the seven-point gap on Newcastle United in 17th.

Mitrovic has been out of form for Fulham, having not scored since September, although Parker felt the striker was starting to turn a corner.

Speaking about Mitrovic's condition after contracting the virus, Parker said: "He's good, at this present moment in time he's got mild symptoms of the virus.

"Of course it's disappointing for Aleks, because at this moment I felt like he was coming out the other side of what's been a bit of a tough season.

"But it's disappointing to pick up the virus and now have to be away from the group and away from us at a big time where we need him as well."

The absence of Mitrovic will likely mean Josh Maja continues up front for Fulham, having made an instant impact on his debut by scoring both goals at Everton after arriving on loan from Bordeaux.

"He's fitted in very, very well," Parker said of the former Sunderland man.

"He's also fitted in in a short space of time as one who wants to learn, a player who wants to get better and I think that's vitally important when you come in to where we are and he's made those strides very, very easily."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-key-blow-sheffield-united-19857924

WhiteJC

The most important five days of Newcastle's season so far start tonight

Newcastle United aren't playing tonight, but a pivotal fixture in the relegation battle is taking place

Newcastle United will know more about the size of their relegation fight by 8pm tonight as Fulham play their game in hand on the Magpies at Burnley.

United have a sizeable seven point cushion on Fulham despite defeat on Monday at Chelsea but anxiety on Tyneside is raising after the Cottagers showed signs of life at Everton.

Fulham play twice before Newcastle play again on Sunday at Old Trafford meaning, in theory, that they could just be a single point behind Steve Bruce's men before that evening kick off.

Scott Parker's side have only won three matches all season so back-to-back wins, especially considering Burnley are in excellent form, would seem unlikely.

But with bottom of the league Sheffield United to play on Saturday, the idea of them clawing back some of the gap to Newcastle is far from unthinkable.

United opted against a managerial change as Bruce struggled in the early part of the year and there was no injection of funds to facilitate additions in January, so the club have clearly worked out that they will have enough to stave off relegation. But fans' concerns are justified, too. The Newcastle United Supporters Trust warned the club against "acting too late" to prevent a third relegation of the Mike Ashley era.

Depressingly, this is now the fifth of the last seven seasons in the Premier League when Newcastle have moved into Spring fretting about the drop.

Bruce's first campaign was one of the few when they haven't after the Magpies picked up enough points after a bad Christmas to distance themselves from the drop zone. Rafa Benitez's two seasons saw Newcastle strike out in the early Spring to move away from trouble - but this is the lowest United have been in February since they were relegated in 2016. There was a last day escape the year before under John Carver.

Parker said on Monday his side are "full of belief and confidence" and taking inspiration from Leicester's incredible escape in 2015.

"I think we've seen that a team can put a run together and a team that can play in the right manner can achieve," he said.

"That's where I feel we are right now with belief and confidence. That's what gives me hope."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/most-important-five-days-newcastles-19857389

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic Out for Fulham After COVID-19 Positive Test

Fulham are to be without Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic after his positive COVID-19 result. Mitrovic is suffering from 'mild symptoms' according to manager Scott Parker after contracting the virus last week.

Blow for Fulham After Aleksandar Mitrovic Tests Positive for COVID-19
Disappointing News for Scott Parker Ahead of a Big Week for Fulham

The Serbian has struggled for form this season after an impressive campaign in the Championship last year. Mitrovic was a mainstay in the side but has not been a regular starter so far this season.

Fulham boss Scott Parker is disappointed with his absence as he feels this has come at a moment where he 'was coming out the other side of what has been a bit of a tough season'. He has only started eight games this year for the Cottagers, but had slowly been experiencing a change in form.

This comes at a difficult time for Fulham, who have a big week coming up which will entail some season-defining results. They face Burnley this evening before a relegation six-pointer at home to Sheffield United on Saturday. Mitrovic will be unavailable for both games.

The trip to Turf Moor is made more difficult with this news. Burnley have found a run of good form which has increased the gap to eight points between themselves and Fulham. An impressive 3-0 win away to Crystal Palace this weekend means Sean Dyche's side will go into tonight's game full of confidence looking to extend that gap between them and the bottom three.

Closing the gap on Burnley would be a bigger feat than extending their gap from Sheffield United on Sunday. A loss to Burnley could mean,n regardless of their result this weekend, they will be no closer to safety. This is a huge week for Parker's men which will have a large say on their Premier League future.

In Mitrovic's absence, January signing Josh Maja will look to fill the goalscoring void for Fulham. The 22-year-old scored twice on his debut against Everton in an impressive win for Parker's men. He will look to pick up from where he left off. Fulham have struggled all season to score goals. Before last weekend's trip to Goodison Park, Fulham had only managed to find the back of the net four times in the league since Christmas.

If Fulham are to have any hope of staying in the division, by closing their seven-point gap from safety, they will have to find goals from somewhere. Parker will hope Maja can step up to the task.

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2021/02/17/aleksandar-mitrovic-out-for-fulham-after-covid-19-positive-test/

WhiteJC

Biereth hat-trick sinks Spurs

A blistering hat-trick from Mika Biereth stole the headlines as Fulham's under 18s bounced back from defeat by thrashing Tottenham Hotspur 5-0 this afternoon.

Steve Wigley's side were narrowly beaten by Crystal Palace earlier this month but responded in the best possible fashion with a confident performance in another London derby. Jay Stansfield gained further match fitness following his long injury lay-off by starting up front and the former Exeter City forward almost played in Ollie O'Neill with just five minutes played, but the danger was dealt with by Marques Muir. Tottenham goalkeeper Aaron Maguire then made a superb save to keep out Biereth's powerful header from Idris Odutayo's cross, but the visitors could only survive a bright Fulham start for so long.

The Whites went in front in the seventeenth minute. O'Neill was the provider, delivering a devilish cross to the far post where Biereth fired home emphatically. The excellent O'Neill was proving a persistent menace and sent in another cross that should have led to the second. Biereth's smart dummy created an opening for Stansfield, who unselfishly sought to find the goalscorer again, only for Maguire to intervene.

The lively Luke Harris, such a prominent presence in midfield, drove agonisingly wide as Fulham pushed for a more commanding lead but the home side soon doubled their advantage. Biereth grabbed his second after seizing on some slack distribution from the Spurs backline, nipping in to poke an assured finish past the stranded goalkeeper.

O'Neill provided another assist as Fulham went further ahead before the break. The creative midfielder's latest cross was perfectly weighted for Harris to head home his fourth goal in seven appearances for the under 18s and effectively settle the contest before half time.

There was no let up from the Whites in the second period. Scottish forward Kieron Bowie added his name to the scoresheet, clinically tucking home from close range four minutes after the interval after more good work from Biereth. Biereth then rounded off a fantastic afternoon by completing his hat-trick after a bout of pinball at a Fulham corner. The comprehensive win leaves Fulham just a point behind Palace at the top of the table.

FULHAM U18s: Mee; D'Auria-Henry, Parkes, Bowat, Odutayo; Benjamin, O'Neill, Harris; Bowie, Stansfield, Biereth. Subs: McNally, Williams, Caton, Olakigbe, Wildbore.

GOALS: Biereth (17, 28, 53), Harris (40), Bowie (49).

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR U18s: Maguire; Cassanova, Hackett, John, Muir; Paskotsi, Mathurin (Carrington 64), Devine (M. Craig 77), Mundle (Whittaker 77); Robson, Santiago. Sub (not used): Lo-Tutala.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/biereth-hat-trick-sinks-spurs/

WhiteJC