more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can we not defend one of our players?

Started by 70sPimlico, February 17, 2021, 08:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 17, 2021, 10:31:25 PM
If a player is good enough to make the XI even as the weakest link, then he deserves some praise. I am sick of players getting abused, when they are better than 14 other players in the squad (ie not starting) and worse than the other 10 players in the starting XI.

We should stop criticising the 11th best player out of a squad of 25 players, especially as the 15th player is so often getting praise with comments he should play. Most of the time the players we criticise as crap would make decent squad players; hopefully we can bring a players so weaker players get more  rests.
With that logic then every player is above being criticised and every starting XI and every player within it from game to game is above reproach. Praise only.

I'm sorry but RLC has had praise like other in recent games but last night he was the ultimate passenger. I lost count of the number of times he lost the ball with no pressure on him. Now he wasn't the only poor player last night. I though Reid was just as ineffective. But we battled through and got a result which is decent in many ways, but in other ways it showed many of our weaknesses

Just the views of a long term fan

The Old Count

As the players are turning out every three or so days, with training, travel and everything on top.we should, perhaps, be a little forgiving..

Dr Quinzel

I feel like he inexplicably retains his place in the eleven, despite form or performance. He's had maybe two reasonable games (Everton the best of a mediocre highlight reel), but the rest have been below par. Almost every other player has been dropped when out of form - Scott doesn't seem to shy from that. But with RLC, it's different. Why?

Re the player, I'm not sure what he is meant to be. He isn't a CM. He doesn't link between the midfielders and forwards. He isn't a forward. He isn't a winger. He can go past a man on occasion with pace, but then his slow decision making means he loses the ball before he does anything with it. When he tries to finish he looks like a blind man on a bouncy castle. He feels like he's maybe 5 or 6/10 at everything, but not particularly good at any one area and doesn't have any outstanding attribute to take a single position.

One good season at Chelsea where he scored ten league goals or similar way back when and he's living off it, in my opinion.

blingo

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on February 18, 2021, 09:39:59 AM
I feel like he inexplicably retains his place in the eleven, despite form or performance. He's had maybe two reasonable games (Everton the best of a mediocre highlight reel), but the rest have been below par. Almost every other player has been dropped when out of form - Scott doesn't seem to shy from that. But with RLC, it's different. Why?

Re the player, I'm not sure what he is meant to be. He isn't a CM. He doesn't link between the midfielders and forwards. He isn't a forward. He isn't a winger. He can go past a man on occasion with pace, but then his slow decision making means he loses the ball before he does anything with it. When he tries to finish he looks like a blind man on a bouncy castle. He feels like he's maybe 5 or 6/10 at everything, but not particularly good at any one area and doesn't have any outstanding attribute to take a single position.

One good season at Chelsea where he scored ten league goals or similar way back when and he's living off it, in my opinion.

+1

colinwhite

Loftus Cheek has  not scored many assists or goals but still plays an important role . Driving the ball forward and threatening defences. We dont have another players that can do that centrally in that way. His end result has let him down too often ,but much of the criticism is just silly. He was one of our glimpses of hope in the first half yesterday. Frustrating at times  but a decent player, and if he starts really clicking he will be fantastic.
When people write that they do see what he brings to the game ,they are actually proving the OP s point. Cavaleiro has also recieved criticism largely  based on chances missed (and ther have been a fair few ) but his contribution has also been big.People telling us how poor he is kind of miss the point.

Stevieboy

Can his mindset be right ?
He's on £100,000 + per week.
Apparently  'Ski value him and want him fit and in their squad (well Lampard did!)
Akin to Schurrie last season......where is his motivation ??

Whitestone

Until Cairney returns RLC will continue to play. Like others I've been disappointed with his performances. Even a fit Cairney might not displace him. I think he's currently the best option, particularly when moving forward with the ball. That said I do believe he needs to up his game and add some goals to his repertoire which will take some of the pressure off him and help to salvage our season.

The Cravenette

Quote from: Whitestone on February 18, 2021, 10:21:21 AM
Until Cairney returns RLC will continue to play. Like others I've been disappointed with his performances. Even a fit Cairney might not displace him. I think he's currently the best option, particularly when moving forward with the ball. That said I do believe he needs to up his game and add some goals to his repertoire which will take some of the pressure off him and help to salvage our season.

Agree with this.  I doubt he has a clause that he has to play but we don't have a lot of alternatives atm.  When we signed him on loan I truly believed he would be just what we needed and was an excellent signing but it hasn't quite worked out.  He should be doing better; particularly if he wants to get back in the Chelsea team not alone England.