watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A return to the Cottage

Started by Andy S, February 18, 2021, 11:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

What do people think of the possibility of a return to the Cottage before the end of the season? I am 67 and received my first vaccination last week. Most people around my age are the same. Three months for the second Jab by which time most 40 year olds will also be vaccinated. With the death rate also falling, could we see a return to the Cottage this season?

Penfold

I would doubt it this season. Maybe in the Autumn if cases continue to drop?

Stoneleigh Loyalist

There will be a gradual release with caution and that will mean no football crowds until possibly the start of next season.

Whitesideup

Outdoor mass gatherings such as football are problematic, but may be possible with much reduced attendance level, as in one of the the previous lockdowns. But note if social distancing is observed, there is no real risk of transmission in outdoor locations. This isn't just me, it is the view of Keith Neal, professor of the epidemiology of infectious diseases at the University of Nottingham, and Professor Woolman equivalent at Edinburgh University. That is the real science. Professor Woolman said the virus "transmits best when adults are gathered in a confined space, unventilated, in close proximity and particularly when there is talking and vocalisations." So the government will start with schools and then universities.... which take place where exactly?

If it's not safe, and schools are definitely not safe environments, then after a lag, transmission and cases will increase. At which point the government will then prolong restrictions that do not affect the transmission of the virus, including tennis, golf ..and football. Hopefully the vaccine will mean far fewer hospitalizations and deaths.

If anyone could hear, I'd be shouting, "You don't know what you're doing!" at the government. If that's political .. sorry!

mrmicawbers

If enough of the vulnerable are vaccinated I think it's a possibility as long as the Government don't drag their feet.Let's get things going asap.Everything open mid may latest,we need to get on with our lives.Flu kills every year and we don't shut things down.Cases will be down to this level by then

sarnian

It's the travelling to games that may cause problems.  Take the likes of Spurs, Arsenal etc with big crowds and how lots of fans probably get to games by train and tube where everybody is congregated in confined spaces.

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 18, 2021, 02:58:28 PM
If anyone could hear, I'd be shouting, "You don't know what you're doing!" at the government. If that's political .. sorry!

They've decided schools (kids' education) are the most important thing to open next, irrespective of the transmission risk, and i think it's hard to disagree with that. Patently going to a football match is less important, and anyone who says you can leave home, get a tube to the Cottsge and come home without at some point risking catching the virus, is obviously talking out their arse. Don't get me wrong, for my age bracket (under 40s) the adverse effects of these restrictions now totally outweigh the health risks of the virus, so I'd rather just open everything completely tomorrow. But any release of the restrictions will lead to deaths and the death numbers are being used as a stick to beat the government with by some.

Looking forward to going back next season in any case. I can't for the life of me see how they can't allow us to go back to normal by then.

filham

No not this season, I think Boris now understands that he has to exercise caution in easing out of Lockdown

Letting in say 2,000 spectators each carrying a vaccination card may be worth consideration but really it makes sense to forget spectators until next season.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on February 18, 2021, 05:51:22 PM

They've decided schools (kids' education) are the most important thing to open next, irrespective of the transmission risk, and i think it's hard to disagree with that. Patently going to a football match is less important, and anyone who says you can leave home, get a tube to the Cottsge and come home without at some point risking catching the virus, is obviously talking out their arse. Don't get me wrong, for my age bracket (under 40s) the adverse effects of these restrictions now totally outweigh the health risks of the virus, so I'd rather just open everything completely tomorrow. But any release of the restrictions will lead to deaths and the death numbers are being used as a stick to beat the government with by some.

Looking forward to going back next season in any case. I can't for the life of me see how they can't allow us to go back to normal by then.

This I totally agree with. Spot on.

Montague

Quote from: Twig on February 18, 2021, 07:56:11 PM

Took the dog for a walk at the local park yesterday afternoon - it was warm and sunny - I know it's half term but there were literally around 100 kids in the small park all playing together without any social distancing - playground area was full with Adults and children - and the football cage had a small match going on.

I've no idea why Schools are being kept closed as the kids are not being kept apart when out of school

I've been all for the lockdown etc, etc but now think that as the most vulnerable have been vaccinated maybe it's time to let this virus run it's course.

Had my antibody results yesterday (going to do the blood plasma donation thing) and although my Covid experience was very mild (wouldn't have previously kept me off work) my antibodies to Covid are surprisingly high.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Montague on February 19, 2021, 10:53:23 AM
Quote from: Twig on February 18, 2021, 07:56:11 PM
I too contacted the virus over Christmas when i realised i couldn't smell my daughters perfume we had bought her.I'm to give blood next Friday like you they want my antibodies,maybe something good to come out of this horrible virus.

Took the dog for a walk at the local park yesterday afternoon - it was warm and sunny - I know it's half term but there were literally around 100 kids in the small park all playing together without any social distancing - playground area was full with Adults and children - and the football cage had a small match going on.

I've no idea why Schools are being kept closed as the kids are not being kept apart when out of school

I've been all for the lockdown etc, etc but now think that as the most vulnerable have been vaccinated maybe it's time to let this virus run it's course.

Had my antibody results yesterday (going to do the blood plasma donation thing) and although my Covid experience was very mild (wouldn't have previously kept me off work) my antibodies to Covid are surprisingly high.

bobbo

Maybe, as earlier when they let 2000 in December . I was one of the lucky ones .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

General

I think if I'm being honest there's something particularly odd about how this government is running things re covid. Not just now but since it began.

New Zealand, India, Italy and almost every other country I've bothered diving into reading up about including China and Japan have all resumed back to a more normal life than us. Same with a large chunk of the Caribbean and Africa have had largely normalised lifestyles for a while.

India for the cricket has people in stadiums, new Zealand have had sold out grounds for rugby matches.

Doesn't make sense that so many other countries have been living normally for so long and even having mass events - even before the farming protests in India they were living normally by most considerations - music, sport as well as the rest.. yet the UK hasn't come out of it at all.

It may be poor management by Boris..  but it's more than that. Dont know what/why.