Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Results

Friday
Wolves
1-0
Leeds

WhiteJC

Sheffield United LIVE: Chris Wilder press conference ahead of battle at the bottom with Fulham
It's press conference day at Sheffield United and there's a huge match for the manager to discuss.

It's fair to say that anything less than a win for the Blades over Fulham tomorrow night would probably put the final nail on their ambitions to stay in the Premier League, although there's still a mountain to climb even if all three points are taken off the Cottagers.

Chris Wilder is speaking to the media today in the build-up to the match against Scott Parker's side and aside from that there'll be plenty to discuss.

High on the agenda will be the status of key men John Fleck and John Egan. The latter as stretchered off late in the game against West Ham on Monday night after a challenge on Jesse Lingard.

Meanwhile, Fleck didn't make the line-up for the trip to the London Stadium after Wilder revealed that the midfielder has been rushed to hospital last weekend.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-live-chris-wilder-press-conference-ahead-of-battle-at-the-bottom-with-fulham-3139896

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer decision will have an impact on Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest are unsure if they can afford to sign Cyrus Christie on a permanent basis from Fulham this summer, as per a report by the Mirror.

The right-back has spent this season on loan at the City Ground and has made 28 appearances in all competitions for the Reds, chipping in with four assists.

Christie, who is 28 years old, is an established Championship defender and has slotted in nicely at Forest.

His contract at Fulham expires at the end of this campaign and he is currently due to become a free agent this summer. The Cottagers need to decide if he has a future there.

This gives the Reds an opportunity to sign him if they want to on a free but his wage demands may make a deal hard to strike.

Fulham may also decide to keep him for next season if they are relegated from the Premier League. Scott Parker's side are currently 18th in the league.

Nottingham Forest could consider alternative options for next term, with youngster Jordan Gabriel tipped to make a push for the first-team.

Christie joined Fulham in 2018 and he has since helped the London club gain promotion from the second tier twice since his move to Craven Cottage.

Prior to his move there, the Republic of Ireland previously had spells at Coventry City, Derby County and Middlesbrough, and has racked up over 350 appearances in his career to date.

https://the72.co.uk/222877/fulham-transfer-decision-will-have-an-impact-on-nottingham-forest/

WhiteJC

Harrison Reed for England?
Jack Stroudley asks the question on all our minds: is our midfield maestro ready to don the Three Lions?

Harrison Reed's performance against Everton was nothing short of spectacular. The general in the midfield seemed to be everywhere, sweeping up passages of play and distributing effectively all night. The 26-year-old's performance was remarkable and deservedly received plaudits from neutrals and pundits around the country.

It's the sort of performance we've become accustomed to over the course of this season and the back end of the last. So it begs the question: are Harrison Reed's capabilities enough to warrant a place in the England squad?

The Southgate system
Gareth Southgate usually operates in a 3-4-3 system with two central midfielders who are expected to bring play forward and help contribute in the attacking phase but also have the defensive capabilities to break play up and cover when necessary.

This means that Gareth is able to be flexible with his midfield options and has a variety of different players available at his disposal. Here's a list of players Gareth is able to use/has been using:

Jordan Henderson
    Declan Rice
    Mason Mount
    Harry Winks
    James Ward Prowse
    Eric Dier (has been playing centre-back for Spurs this season)
    Kalvin Phillips

Now it's obvious the difficulties comparing Harrison Reed to a player like Mason Mount due to the differing roles they offer for their respective clubs. So it's worth just comparing his season to players who operate in a similar role as him.

Statistical comparisons
I've decided to compare Harrison Reed to the following players (using Squawka per 90 mins):

Jordan Henderson (has had a varied season in differing positions)
    Declan Rice
    Kalvin Phillips

And, to be frank, he compares favourably with all three, even beating them in a number of areas.

Firstly, all four midfielders have a very similar passing accuracy ranging from 85.3% to 87.4%. Harrison's is at a respectable 86.8%. If we look at how he affects games in the attacking phase, he has the second highest forward passes, with 17.6 per game only beaten by Liverpool captain Henderson.

Reed's take-on success is also the second highest, with 73.33%, bettering Henderson (57.14%) and Phillips (58.82%). He's second for fouls won per game with 1.1 as well as being second for possession lost per game, he loses the ball on average 10.3 times per game, in comparison to Phillips at 13.2 times and Henderson at 14.7 times.

Now if we look at Reed in a defensive capacity, the stats also reflect the fantastic season he is having. Firstly, he's only beaten for duels contested per game by Phillips, who betters his 9.5 with 11.2.

If we delve further into Reed's defensive stats, he averages 2.3 tackles per game bettering Jordan Henderson (1.3) and Declan Rice (1.9). Finally if we look at interceptions and blocks he is the best performing out of the four players with 2.1 interceptions per game and 0.6 blocks per game.

Is he ready?
Harrison Reed's stats in comparison to his English counterparts demonstrate his clear ability at a high level, but is he ready for an England call-up? The honest answer is yes. But it'd be fanciful to say he should be a regular starter for Southgate and will be a key cog in the system come the summer and the Euros.

But he's an underrated player who's had a magnificent season in a Fulham side that, going on current league position and points tally, has underperformed. Pundits and fans alike are starting to notice his impact in games, and I genuinely believe he'd be a valuable squad player for Gareth to have at his disposal.

There's an argument to be made he is only a half a season into his tenure at a Premier League club consistently, but what about Kalvin Phillips? His English call-up certainly was debated by many, but called up he was.

Harrison Reed for England?  Why not?

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-02-19-harrison-reed-for-england/

WhiteJC

Steve Bruce says Newcastle are not nervously looking at Fulham

STEVE BRUCE insists Newcastle United are not nervously looking over their shoulders at Fulham, and has suggested Scott Parker's bullish assessment of his own side's form is misplaced.

Having been ten points clear of the relegation zone less than a fortnight ago, the Magpies find themselves just six points ahead of the drop zone as they head into this weekend's games. However, with Fulham hosting bottom-placed Sheffield United this evening, the gap could have shrunk to three by the time Newcastle line up at Old Trafford to face Manchester United tomorrow night.

Speaking in the wake of Fulham's midweek draw at Burnley, Parker unashamedly trained his sights of Newcastle, stating that overhauling his former club was now a realistic ambition given his side's fine run of form.

The Cottagers have lost just one of their last six matches, but as Bruce pointed out yesterday, they have also won just one of their last 14 league games. As a result, the Magpies manager refuses to get too caught up in analyses of the battle for the final relegation spot.

"I've always said that it's your accumulation of points that determines what you get at the end of the season," said Bruce. "No matter what anyone else does, you've got to set yourself a target of whatever that points tally may be.

"If you look at the bottom six or seven at the moment, there's two or three points separates a host of teams. We're not alone in it. Fulham have obviously won (last weekend) and closed the gap a bit, but they're still struggling to win as well. I think they've only won one of their last 14 games.

"It's all to play for. We know we're in the bottom half of the division, which means we have to get to the (safety) figure as quickly as we possibly can."

Like his Newcastle players, Bruce is aware of the bullish noises coming out of Fulham camp with regard to their prospects of reeling the Magpies in. With the Magpies due to visit Craven Cottage on the final weekend of the season, the stage is set for a dramatic finale, however Bruce would rather have 25 points on the board with 14 games still to play than be playing catch-up like the Cottagers.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19103024.steve-bruce-says-newcastle-not-nervously-looking-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield United

Scott Parker's Fulham side have lost just once in six league games, however four have been drawn
TEAM NEWS

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic continues to self-isolate in the wake of a positive coronavirus test.

Head coach Scott Parker is also without injured midfielder Tom Cairney.

Sheffield United's John Egan has been ruled out for eight weeks due to the dislocated toe he suffered against West Ham on Monday.

John Fleck again misses out because of illness, while Sander Berge, Jack O'Connell and Jack Robinson remain on the sidelines.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham are looking lively in attack and they have had a decent few days, moving to within six points of safety after beating Everton on Sunday and then getting a draw at Burnley on Wednesday.

Sheffield United were well beaten by West Ham last weekend, which was a big setback in their mini-revival, but I just have a funny feeling the Blades will get the points here.

They have only won one of their 12 away league games so far this season - at Old Trafford last month - but this is almost the last throw of the dice for Chris Wilder's side, and I think they will treat it as a game they absolutely have to win to have a chance of staying up.

Prediction: 1-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham's solitary defeat in the past eight league meetings was by 2-0 at Bramall Lane in the top flight 14 years ago.
    Sheffield United are winless in their five most recent league visits to Fulham, and their only victory in the last 12 away games in this fixture came in September 1985.

Fulham

Fulham have won only three of their 24 Premier League fixtures this season. Only two teams have won fewer than four of their opening 25 matches and gone on to avoid relegation: West Brom in 2004-05 and the Cottagers themselves in 2007-08.
    They are looking to avoid setting an outright club record of nine consecutive top-flight home games without a win.
    Fulham have drawn nine of their past 13 league matches, with their three defeats during that period all coming at Craven Cottage.
    Their only goal in seven competitive home fixtures was scored by Ademola Lookman against Manchester United on 20 January.
    Scott Parker's side are unbeaten in all seven league games this season against the other teams that begin this matchround in the bottom six of the table.
    There have been 24 goals scored at Craven Cottage this season, level with Burnley's Turf Moor for the fewest in the division.

Sheffield United

Sheffield United have equalled the record for most defeats after 24 matches of a top-flight season. They could become the first team to lose 20 of their opening 25 top-flight fixtures.
    The most recent club to suffer 20 defeats in their first 25 games of a league campaign was Southport in the fourth tier in 1975-76.
    The Blades have conceded 40 Premier League goals so far, one more than they did in the whole of last season.
    Chris Wilder's side have gone 17 away league matches without a clean sheet since a 0-0 draw at Aston Villa in June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56033692

WhiteJC

Four ways Sheffield United could line up after John Egan injury hammerblow ahead of Fulham clash

Blades' boss Chris Wilder has a selection headache after key centre-half Egan was ruled out for eight weeks with a dislocated toe

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder has a big selection call to make tomorrow.

The Blades head to relegation rivals Fulham knowing that victory is almost certainly required if they are to stand any chance whatsoever of surviving in the top flight.

Indeed, even three points at Craven Cottage may still not be enough as Wilder's side are well adrift of fourth-bottom Newcastle United.

Nevertheless, while there is still a mathematical chance of achieving the improbable then the Blades will plough on. They'll have to do so without a key part of their defence however.

John Egan will miss eight weeks after dislocating a toe in the loss at West Ham last Monday.

The Republic of Ireland international has missed just two Premier League games this term, owing to suspension.

Only Chris Basham and goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale have featured in more minutes for United this term.

The question now arises: who replaces Egan at the heart of the defence?

Jack O'Connell is still recovering from a long-term injury - although Wilder provided a positive update earlier today - whilst Jack Robinson and Jack Rodwell are also on the sidelines with the pair seemingly no closer to returning.

The obvious choice to fill the Egan-sized hole then is Phil Jagielka. Indeed, the veteran is the only senior recognised centre-half available alongside regulars Basham and Ethan Ampadu.

There is no question of Jagielka's pedigree. He has been a top performer at this level for the best part of 15 years.

His recent performance in the landmark win at Manchester United was arguably his best since returning to the club.

However, at 38 Jagielka is clearly not someone who is going to be ready to start games week in, week out.

He's only played the full 90 minutes three times this season.

Does Wilder play him against Fulham and then wrap him up in cotton wool ahead of the Liverpool game eight days later?

Perhaps. But there are other options available, which would involved shuffling existing members of the defence across from wing-back to centre-half.

Enda Stevens is capable of taking up the left-sided centre-half role. That would leave a gap at left wing-back, with both Kean Bryan or Max Lowe ready to come in if required.

Alternatively, Stevens shifting across could see Jayden Bogle move from right wing-back to left. That would then allow the recall of George Baldock.

He was a welcome return to the bench at West Ham and will no doubt be itching to get back after a short spell on the sidelines.

In terms of the rest of the team, Wilder remained relatively coy on John Fleck's illness which ruled him out of the London Stadium contest.

When asked for an update on the Scot, Wilder said: "We've got no real news regarding his return. It's hugely disappointing."

That would indicate Fleck is set to miss the match with Scott Parker's side. In that case, the midfield trio of Oli Norwood, John Lundstram and Ben Osborn will likely start again.

As for up front, it's possible Wilder could shuffle his pack. Billy Sharp and David McGoldrick could well make way for Oli McBurnie and Oliver Burke.

Predicted XI to face Fulham : Ramsdale; Basham, Jagielka, Ampadu; Bogle, Norwood, Lundstram, Osborn, Stevens; McBurnie, Burke.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-fulham-egan-blow-19873719

WhiteJC

'Wasn't difficult': PL player explains why he rejected £75k-a-week Fulham offer

Josh King has admitted that he chose Everton over Premier League rivals Fulham on the final day of the January transfer window, while speaking to TV2.

When reports broke, suggesting that the former Bournemouth forward had snubbed a move to Craven Cottage in favour of Merseyside, it didn't take long to realise why.

King had made no secret of his desire to escape the Championship at the earliest opportunity after suffering relegation last term.

While Fulham are still hopeful of reeling in 17th-placed Newcastle, there is a very real chance that Scott Parker's side will be playing second-tier football once again in 2021/22.

Everton, in contrast, offered King the opportunity he was dreamed of – the chance to re-establish himself as a Premier League player after six months out of the top flight.

"I called Scott Parker. I felt he deserved an explanation for why I did not go for Fulham. He wanted me last summer too and seems like a good man. We had a good conversation, where he both respected and understood why I chose Everton. He wished me all the best," explained the Norwegian, who has signed a short-term deal with Carlo Ancelotti's side until the summer.

"I did choose the safest option with Everton. Not everything in the world is about money either. I'm not guaranteed a starting spot, I'm not guaranteed a contract further. All the guarantees I can get from Everton are based on what I do on the pitch in the coming months.

"So I have put pressure on myself, but at the same time I have the confidence to believe that I will be able to do this. Either I get a new contract at Everton, or I go somewhere else for the summer."

With his Everton deal due to expire in July, King's immediate future is still very much up in the air.

According to the Sun (7 February, page 60), Fulham offered the versatile forward a long-term deal until 2024, worth £75,000-a-week. The Londoners were apparently 'stunned' to learn that he would be accepting the Toffees' offer instead.

"I had the choice of a long-term contract at Fulham, but then I would have had to fight to avoid relegation with the club," King added.

"Or I could fight for games in Europe with Everton, which I have dreamed of all my career. So after all, the choice was not really that difficult, but I have a lot to prove in a short time here in Everton towards the summer."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/02/19/wasnt-difficult-pl-player-explains-why-he-rejected-75k-a-week-fulham-offer/

WhiteJC

Pre-Sheff Utd Press Conference

Scott Parker is taking absolutely nothing for granted when Fulham host Sheffield United on Saturday night.

The Blades have spent the entire campaign at the bottom of the Premier League, but they've shown their fighting spirit by winning three of their previous seven outings in the competition.

"A tough game, a real tough game," Parker replied when asked about the upcoming challenge.

"They've got a manager with vast experience who's done an exceptional job at Sheffield United.

"I think we both realise what's at stake and the battle that's going to bring. My team will be prepared as best they can to try and get the points."

The Whites have lost only one in six, and could end the weekend just three points from safety if things go our way.

"Confidence is very high, and that's been the case for large parts of this season," Parker said. "Certainly our performance levels over the past three or four months have shown that.

"It's a big game for us at the weekend, and we understand that, we know what's at stake and we know what we need to do.

"Of course, performance probably comes a little bit secondary at this moment. We want a result, and that's our main aim on Saturday.

"Both teams are going to want to do all they can to win the game. There are 14 games left and of course we go into this one, after picking up four points in what was always going to be a tough week, and it will be another tough game with Sheffield United.

"I've said for a while now that we go into every game wanting to win it, and it will be the same on Saturday."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/february/Pre-Sheff-Utd-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

The view from Fulham heading into a pivotal weekend in the Premier League relegation race

Newcastle will be looking nervously over their shoulder at Fulham's 'must-win' game against Sheffield United on Saturday

Newcastle United fans could be excused if they head into this Premier League weekend with a sense of trepidation.

The Magpies have lost 11 out of their last 15 games and travel to high-flying Manchester United on Sunday evening.

Steve Bruce's side are looking nervously over their shoulder at the bottom three but there are still six points between 17th placed United and 18th placed Fulham.

That said, the Cottagers take on bottom-placed Sheffield United on Saturday in what is a huge opportunity for them to cut the gap between themselves and Newcastle to just three points prior to the Magpies kicking off at Old Trafford.

Fulham's recent positive performances have been a cause for concern for United, although the reality remains that Scott Parker's side have won just three times in the top flight this term.

Nonetheless, many pundits believe the Cottagers can catch Newcastle in the battle to avoid relegation but is that a confidence shared at Craven Cottage?

To find out, Chronicle Live spoke to Football.London's Fulham reporter Scott Trotter to get the view from Fulham heading into this weekend, as well as the rest of the season ahead of what could be a dramatic final day which will see the Magpies travel to Craven Cottage.

Fulham drew with Burnley on Wednesday to close the gap to six points. What was the feeling in the Fulham camp after that - an opportunity missed or a point closer?

"I think there was disappointment after the win over Everton and actually going ahead against Burnley.

"It was certainly a missed opportunity and the performance wasn't good enough.

"That said, they ground out a point that in many respects it didn't look like they would earn during the match.

"To get a goal in spite of that, Fulham ground out a point when sometimes they may have came away with nothing."

The Cottagers have earned a lot of praise for their style of play and performances recently but they still haven't managed to turn that into a run of wins. Has the praise been merited?

"It's been a long stretch where the Cottagers have kept themselves in games but too often they haven't capitalised.

"They've had problems in the final stage of creating really good chances and when they have, the finishing hasn't always been there.

"Some part of me wondered if they could get draws for the rest of the season and stay up, but Newcastle beating Everton and Southampton, alongside Burnley and Brighton's good form really put the microscope on where Fulham have been lacking.

Mark Lawrenson has said Newcastle are the team the bottom three will think they can catch. Is that Fulham's mindset now?

"Purely because of the table and the fact Newcastle are the closest team, probably. Fulham are only focused on themselves, however. Without winning games themselves, nothing else really matters.

"Winning against Sheffield United has been described as must-win by Scott Parker and that is going to be the outlook for the foreseeable.

"The Whites will be reliant on Newcastle dropping points of course, but even if Fulham double their number of wins so far this season, they will only be three points ahead if the Magpies fail to pick up a points.

"Eyes are definitely on the final game of the season, however."

This feels like a pivotal weekend in the relegation race as Fulham take on Sheffield United and Newcastle take on Manchester United. How much importance are Fulham placing on this weekend - given the fixtures both sides have coming up afterwards?

"It's pivotal in that it's an opportunity to put real pressure on Newcastle.

"A win before Newcastle play against a very good side means they suffer a bit of a double-whammy if they come away with nothing. If Fulham don't get three points they lose some momentum and Steve Bruce can breathe a little easier - there will be fewer questions asked of the overwhelming relegation danger.

"So while it isn't quite a gamebreaker for Newcastle, it will set the tone going forward. For Fulham, like earlier, this is the status every game has for the moment."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/view-fulham-heading-pivotal-weekend-19876207

WhiteJC

Sheffield Utd Matchday Preview

Fulham v Sheffield United | Saturday 20th February 2021 | 8pm | Craven Cottage | #FULSHU

The opposition

After struggling in the first half of the season, 2021 has actually been incredibly productive for Sheffield United, with the team winning six of their 11 fixtures in all competitions.
    Three of those victories have come in the Emirates FA Cup, meaning they now have a Quarter Final tie with Chelsea to look forward to in a month's time.
    West Bromwich Albion and Newcastle United were both beaten by the Blades recently in the league, but their most impressive performance was when they left Old Trafford with a gritty three points at the end of January.

Fulham team news

The visit of United will hopefully be the final match that Aleksandar Mitrović misses through self-isolation, while Tom Cairney is also expected to be absent. Terence Kongolo will not feature after playing 65 minutes for the Under-23s on Friday.

Sheffield United team news

The Blades' quest to avoid relegation has been hindered this season by serious injuries to influential duo Sander Berge and Jack O'Connell, who are still in rehabilitation. John Egan was stretchered off during their 3-0 defeat by West Ham United last week, and it's since been confirmed that the defender suffered a dislocated toe and will be sidelined for eight weeks. John Fleck was absent against the Hammers through illness, and will also miss the trip to SW6.

Virtual mascots

The Whites will be cheered on at home by our virtual mascots Freddie, Alfie and Lilly-Mae!

Coverage

The match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports, while commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid is available for FFCtv subscribers.

Player insight

Alphonse Areola knows Fulham need to be taking maximum points when Sheffield United visit Craven Cottage on Saturday.

"If we can get the three points, it would be perfect for us," he said. "We are in a good mood, we are happy with what we have done in our last few games.

"I hope that we'll recover well and be ready for the battle on Saturday."

Form

Fulham: DLDWD

Sheff Utd: LWLWL

Pre-match quotes

"I think we both realise what's at stake and the battle that's going to bring. My team will be prepared as best they can to try and get the points."

Scott Parker
Fulham Head Coach

"Scott's got a positive group of players, and they will believe they can get out of that position."

Chris Wilder
Sheffield United Manager

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/february/Sheffield-Utd-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

Parker prepared for 'tough game' against Blades

Scott Parker has admitted that Saturday night's clash with relegation rivals Sheffield United is a must-win for Fulham – but is taking nothing for granted ahead of the Craven Cottage meeting.

Fulham won their third league game of the season with an impressive away display at Everton last week and earned a point against Burnley in midweek, but Parker knows only victories will help his side away from the drop zone. He knows exactly what to expect from the Blades, who have had their own mini-revival of late – winning three of their last seven league matches.

Parker told his pre-match press conference earlier this afternoon:

"A tough game, a real tough game. They've got a manager with vast experience who's done an exceptional job at Sheffield United. I think we both realise what's at stake and the battle that's going to bring. My team will be prepared as best they can to try and get the points."

The Fulham boss feels that morale is high within the camp as the Whites face what looks like a crucial run of fixtures.

"Confidence is very high, and that's been the case for large parts of this season. Certainly our performance levels over the past three or four months have shown that. It's a big game for us at the weekend, and we understand that, we know what's at stake and we know what we need to do. Of course, performance probably comes a little bit secondary at this moment. We want a result, and that's our main aim on Saturday."

"Both teams are going to want to do all they can to win the game. There are 14 games left and of course we go into this one, after picking up four points in what was always going to be a tough week, and it will be another tough game with Sheffield United. I've said for a while now that we go into every game wanting to win it, and it will be the same on Saturday."

Parker voiced his displeasure at the reports linking Fulham defender Terence Kongolo, who featured for the club's under 23 side this afternoon against Sunderland, with a breach of lockdown rules when he celebrated his birthday with friends last weekend.

"I think like anything you can imagine my reaction to it was not best pleased in the current climate in terms of what everyone is facing and what we're in. It's not something which is acceptable to be honest with you. I had the conversation with Terence, he didn't know a lot about it, (that) is my understanding of it, it was a surprise party and the people who planned it have put him in a very vulnerable position. It's something which we will deal with as a football club in-house."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/parker-prepared-for-tough-game-against-blades/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield United: match preview

Fulham can sense daylight in their bid to escape relegation, although plenty will depend on their ability to defeat the division's bottom side. Four points from two away games over the past week was a fine haul but it is high time they won a home game, something they have not achieved since 2 November. Sheffield United's revival has stalled in the past fortnight and this feels like something of a final throw of the dice for Chris Wilder's side, who will surely lose any remaining hope if they cannot take the spoils on Saturday evening. Nick Ames

Saturday 8pm Sky Sports Premier League

Venue Craven Cottage

Last season n/a

Referee Martin Atkinson

This season G18 Y46 R2 2.66 cards/game

Odds H 23-20 A 5-2 D 11-5
FULHAM

Subs from Rodak, Fabri, Robinson, Kongolo, Le Marchand, Ream, Hector, Odoi, Christie, Bryan, Anguissa, Onomah, Kebano, Kamara, Cavaleiro

Doubtful None

Injured Cairney (knee, unknown), Mitrovic (self-isolation, unknown)

Suspended None

Discipline Y45 R3

Form DDLDWD

Leading scorer Decordova-Reid 5
SHEFFIELD UNITED

Subs from Foderingham, Lowe, Bryan, Mousset, Brewster, McBurnie, Bryan, Burke, Osborn, Maguire, Baldock

Doubtful None

Injured Berge (thigh, Mar), Egan (toe, Apr), O'Connell (knee, Mar), Fleck (ill, unknown)

Suspended None

Discipline Y46 R2

Form LWLWLL

Leading scorer McGoldrick 5

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/19/fulham-sheffield-united-match-preview-premier-league

WhiteJC

Dates set for Tottenham's March Premier League fixtures with Fulham, Palace, Arsenal and Villa

The Premier League and the broadcasting companies have made their decisions on the games next month for Jose Mourinho's men

Tottenham Hotspur now know when they will play their four Premier League games in March.

With the Premier League broadcast selection process for next month now completed, the scheduling of two of Jose Mourinho's men's matches has now changed as a result.

Two of Spurs' postponed fixtures have also been assigned new dates, which will please the Spurs boss, who has been waiting to find out when they would be.

Tottenham's trip to Fulham, which can no longer play in April due to the north London side's involvement in the Carabao Cup Final, will now take place on Thursday March 4, kick-off 6pm. That match will be shown on BT Sport.

Three days later, on Sunday March 7, Spurs will welcome Crystal Palace to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, kicking off at 7.15pm and with the game being screened on Sky Sports.

A week later comes the north London derby with Mourinho's men making the short trip to the Emirates Stadium to face Arsenal on Sunday, March 14, kick-off at 4.30pm. That match will be shown on Sky Sports.

In addition, the away match against Aston Villa, postponed in January due to a Covid outbreak in the Midlands side's camp, will now be held on Sunday, March 21, kick-off 7.30pm and also on Sky Sports.

Spurs' home match against Southampton had initially been scheduled for that weekend, but has been postponed owing to the Saints' involvement in the FA Cup. A new date for that game will be confirmed in due course.

Should Tottenham progress in the Europa League then those games will also have to be factored into the schedule.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/fixtures-results/tottenham-fixtures-march-arsenal-fulham-19877733

WhiteJC

Steve Bruce dismisses Scott Parker's claim that Fulham are ready to reel Newcastle into the relegation battle as the Magpies boss points out their rivals have won just once in 14 games

Steve Bruce played down Scott Parker's claim over the relegation battle
    The Fulham boss said that his side are ready to reel in the Magpies
    Parker's side have narrowed the gap on Newcastle to six points in the table
    But Bruce pointed out Fulham have won just once in 14 Premier League games

Steve Bruce has played down Scott Parker's bullish assertion that Fulham are ready to reel in Newcastle, by reminding them they have won once in 14 matches.

The fight for Premier League survival has descended into a war of words this week with Parker saying his team believe they can drag the Magpies into the bottom three.

Fulham have closed the gap on fourth-bottom Newcastle to six points ahead of this evening's visit of Sheffield United. Win that - they also have a superior goal difference - and the pressure will be on Bruce and his side heading to Manchester United on Sunday.
Steve Bruce has played down Scott Parker's claim that Fulham are ready to reel in Newcastle

Steve Bruce (left) played down Scott Parker's claims that Fulham are ready to catch Newcastle

However, the Newcastle boss does not appear overly concerned about their position and he was dismissive of Parker's claims, as he said: 'Fulham have won and closed the gap a bit, but they're still struggling to win as well. They have only won one in 14 games. It's all to play for.

'From 13th downwards you're looking over your shoulder. We're not alone in it. If they (Fulham) are confident, then let's see where we are at the end of the season. You have to quietly go about your job and get the points on the board.'

Meanwhile, Bruce has rejected Gary Neville's criticism of Newcastle's players not being together when they emerged from the tunnel at Chelsea on Monday night.

Fulham closed the gap on Newcastle by beating Everton last weekend but are six points adrift

Neville could not understand why Bruce's team entered the pitch with only nine men, and they duly produced a woeful first-half showing.

'Where are the rest of the team?' said Neville on Sky Sports. 'Half of the team are walking out. Be together when you walk out onto the pitch. How many players have they got? Have they had someone sent off? You don't leave the dressing room until all of you are together.'

Newcastle got beaten 2-0 - both goals coming before half-time - but Bruce claims coronavirus protocols were the reason for their unsightly entrance.

'I saw that thrown at us about the tunnel,' he said. 'Let me tell you, it was very, very difficult when we're not even getting changed in the stadium. We had a two or three-minute walk from where we got changed in a health club. So I don't really go with that.'

Sportsmail understands the health club where away teams change at Stamford Bridge is 130 yards from pitch.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9279899/Steve-Bruce-dismisses-Scott-Parkers-claim-Fulham-ready-reel-Newcastle.html

WhiteJC

'Huge step forward' for Cairney in battle to overcome knee injury

There's light at the end of the tunnel for Tom Cairney with his damaged knee.

For the first time since December, the Fulham captain has been involved in training this week – albeit a softly, softly version of the real thing.

Cairney last appeared in a match against Newcastle on December 19, but a niggling knee problem picked up in a pre-season friendly gave way to the inevitable.

However, the 30-year-old has offered hope he may yet play some part in the rest of the campaign.

"He went for a laser treatment which we thought might help speed up the process, and he's come through that pretty well," said Scott Parker.

"He's been training with us this week, albeit modified training, but nowhere near yet being stretched to a real intensity.

"But it's a huge step forward for him but he's been modified, and next week we'll step it up again.

"It's little steps for Tom and we'll see how he comes out of them.

"At the moment that's been good so long may it continue."

Compared to some Premier League clubs, Fulham have been relatively injury free.

The head coach believes that's down to a programme that knows when to put the hammer down and when to ease off.

Parker explained: "I'm touching wood, but we've done a fantastic job in terms of keeping the balance of fitness and also not pushing too hard in those moments.

"It's a constant thing for me and all my staff is trying to balance and where we need to put work in, where we need to take work off, how we do that and realise that really is key."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/huge-step-forward-for-cairney-in-battle-to-overcome-knee-injury

WhiteJC

Parker eyes parallels with Hodgson's great escape

Scott Parker says Fulham can take inspiration from the great escape staged by Roy Hodgson's side in 2008 as the Whites look to beat the drop this season.

Parker's team are six points away from safety with fourteen games remaining and a successful survival bid would rank alongside the way Hodgson's side bridged a six-point gap in their final three games with a memorable win at Portsmouth on the final day of the season. The current Fulham boss admitted that historical parallels can help to show his squad that their predicament is far from terminal.

Parker told his press conference ahead of tomorrow night's meeting with relegation rivals Sheffield United:

"All those stories are things you can look onto and give you hope. Roy was part of that, and that's something that you look to. Hope mainly comes from what I see and the hope and the belief comes from knowing that we can win football matches and that's the main thing and the main drive really."

Hodgson himself reminisced about his memories of his survival act with Fulham during his Crystal Palace press conference this afternoon as well.

"Well, we were relegated on so many occasions. So we were lucky. We were lucky in many ways, that Jimmy Bullard hit a wonderful free kick and even more fortunate that Danny Murphy, who wasn't even supposed to be in the penalty box, scored a goal with his head which is also something which he didn't do every week."

Parker will also be dipping into the psychological side of management – which has spoken about several times during his tenure at Craven Cottage – to support his players over the coming weeks.

"It's a big challenge. I realise how powerful that psychological element is to a football player. Whether you're playing at one of the best teams in the world or whether you are one of the best players in the world, it's still a psychological influence on performance.

"I realise that, and that's from my own experiences as well. I set out at the start of the season and tried to create a culture at this club that everyone feels very at ease, understands the pressures and what's expected of them, but has a real belief that you want to improve and be self-critical. At the same time, try to give them some idea of what this season was going to look like.

My experiences as a player give me conviction in that because I understood how this would pan out from last year being with the team, to the quick turnaround, to players coming in, to the level up. I probably always knew it was going to be like that. Because I've been able to explain it to them, it's not come as a surprise when we've come under a little bit. It's a constant process to keep trying to develop players in that way."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/parker-eyes-parallels-with-hodgsons-great-escape/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United takeover takeover may still happen if PIF are given strong assurances that deal would be approved

Plenty of Newcastle United fans are not too confident of their side's chances of escaping relegation at the end of 2020-21 after just two victories and two draws in their last 13 Premier League games, and with Fulham breathing down the Magpies' necks, not many would blame them.

Only six points stand between Steve Bruce's side and the Cottagers, and that difference is nothing with 14 games still to be played.

While plenty of Newcastle fans do not see a lot of reasons why they should be optimistic about the rest of the season, The Athletic's Chris Waugh believes that the fact that a takeover may still happen should cheer them up.

Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund officially withdrew their takeover bid last July, and a secret arbitration hearing has been ongoing for a while as owner Mike Ashley's lawyers lead a case against the Premier League to settle the key issue which saw the prospective takeover fall through.

They are hoping to establish whether there is a separation between the PIF and the Saudi state and who Newcastle's ultimate owners would be.

While the buying side reckons that arbitration may be concluded by the end of February, nothing is guaranteed yet given the private nature of proceedings.

According to Waugh, PIF will only officially resubmit their takeover bid if and when they are given strong assurances that the deal would be approved this time, and it will be interesting to see how things go.

Ashley knows dropping to the Championship could potentially wipe at least 50% off Newcastle's current value, and he will be hoping that does not happen.

Safety is far from being guaranteed, and the results from the coming weeks will definitely have a huge say on the club's immediate future on and off the pitch.

https://sportslens.com/report-newcastle-united-takeover-takeover-may-still-happen-if-pif-are-given-strong-assurances-that-deal-would-be-approved/334521/

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: whitejc on February 20, 2021, 12:19:09 AM
'Wasn't difficult': PL player explains why he rejected £75k-a-week Fulham offer

Josh King has admitted that he chose Everton over Premier League rivals Fulham on the final day of the January transfer window, while speaking to TV2.

When reports broke, suggesting that the former Bournemouth forward had snubbed a move to Craven Cottage in favour of Merseyside, it didn't take long to realise why.

King had made no secret of his desire to escape the Championship at the earliest opportunity after suffering relegation last term.

While Fulham are still hopeful of reeling in 17th-placed Newcastle, there is a very real chance that Scott Parker's side will be playing second-tier football once again in 2021/22.

Everton, in contrast, offered King the opportunity he was dreamed of – the chance to re-establish himself as a Premier League player after six months out of the top flight.

"I called Scott Parker. I felt he deserved an explanation for why I did not go for Fulham. He wanted me last summer too and seems like a good man. We had a good conversation, where he both respected and understood why I chose Everton. He wished me all the best," explained the Norwegian, who has signed a short-term deal with Carlo Ancelotti's side until the summer.

"I did choose the safest option with Everton. Not everything in the world is about money either. I'm not guaranteed a starting spot, I'm not guaranteed a contract further. All the guarantees I can get from Everton are based on what I do on the pitch in the coming months.

"So I have put pressure on myself, but at the same time I have the confidence to believe that I will be able to do this. Either I get a new contract at Everton, or I go somewhere else for the summer."

With his Everton deal due to expire in July, King's immediate future is still very much up in the air.

According to the Sun (7 February, page 60), Fulham offered the versatile forward a long-term deal until 2024, worth £75,000-a-week. The Londoners were apparently 'stunned' to learn that he would be accepting the Toffees' offer instead.

"I had the choice of a long-term contract at Fulham, but then I would have had to fight to avoid relegation with the club," King added.

"Or I could fight for games in Europe with Everton, which I have dreamed of all my career. So after all, the choice was not really that difficult, but I have a lot to prove in a short time here in Everton towards the summer."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/02/19/wasnt-difficult-pl-player-explains-why-he-rejected-75k-a-week-fulham-offer/

Well compare & contrast the attitudes & comments of King with Maja
Both currently unproven @ this level @ this time
One didn't want the fight against relegation the other does
King says he could put pressure on himself, fight for games in Europe & hope to get a contract. If not he will go "elsewhere." I'm not sure where that will be!
I think we have slipped a banana skin with King, you wouldn't want on your side with that attitude. Neither would you want him upsetting any team focus & morale. That is difficult enough with so many players on loan
I really hope Maja proves his worth to us & that if he does we sign him. Also that he fires Mitro into better form & scoring again.
So next up is Sheffield United. We can beat them & bag 3 points towards survival.
COYW!!

WhiteJC

Why Lys Mousset will not be involved for Sheffield United against Fulham

The French striker has endured a miserable, stop-start campaign - and it looks set to continue as he'll miss tonight's Premier League trip to face Fulham

Sheffield United forward Lys Mousset has endured a wretched season so far.

The Frenchman has been in and out of the squad, due to a series of niggling injuries and some well-documented off-field troubles.

He's played just 254 minutes for the Blades this term - across just seven games. The 25-year-old has undoubted quality, as shown by his purple patch in the middle part of United's memorable 2019-20 campaign.

But evidence of that quality has been virtually non-existent this season.

When asked if Mousset will be in contention for United's Premier League game away at Fulham tonight, boss Chris Wilder told Yorkshire Live that he wouldn't be involved.

Instead, Mousset will be turning out for the club's Development squad in their away game at Nottingham Forest early next week.

"No," Wilder said, when asked if Mousset would be in the party travelling to Craven Cottage today. "Lys is going to play a behind-closed-doors game for the under-23s on Monday.

"He needs that game."

Mousset, and indeed Wilder and his staff, will hope that the behind-closed-doors fixture proves to be a turning point in his troubled season so far.

Wilder spoke at length, earlier this month, about Mousset and how it is up to him to make an impression after a difficult campaign.

He said: "There has to be a big push by the player now to participate and to add something that we know he's got.

"He understands our feelings on him.

"There's certain things he controls and he has to make a contribution in the second half of the season.

"I want it to happen but he's got to make it happen and want it to happen. And fingers crossed he can do."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/mousset-not-involved-sheffield-united-19874548