watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Antonee Robinson

Started by perry geyton, February 20, 2021, 10:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC In Oz

I like Aina on the left and Tete on the right personally.

Jules

Quote from: Deeping_white on February 21, 2021, 01:40:16 AM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on February 21, 2021, 12:55:57 AM
Quote from: VamosFFC on February 20, 2021, 11:28:54 PM
I was going to make a thread on this, but since one has already been created, I'll post here.

Does anyone else prefer Bryan to Robinson at left back? I really don't think Robinson brings anything to the table. I think he's still too raw. His touch and control is not great. Anytime he gets the ball, I feel like his mind is moving faster than his feet and he just stumbles with the ball at this feet. Give me Joe Bryan at left back any day over Robinson, or even Aina over him too.

Yes I prefer Bryan over Robinson too (but Aina over both of them).

Robinson is nowhere near good enough for the Premier League IMO. He's ok (but not great) defensively but offers absolutely nothing going forward. It's all about mindless runs with no plan. We often lose possession when he gets the ball. His passing is horrible. His reading of the game is shockingly poor at this level. His crosses are non-league standard. There's a reason his teammates have started to ignore his runs. They have learned that passing the balls to him is usually a wasted opportunity.

His work rate and pace is very good but that's about it. I personally don't think he is better than Championship level at best. At least not yet.

There's a reason we concede a lot less goals nowadays and having Robinson over Bryan is one of the biggest ones. Joe is great in the championship and as a squad player at this level, but he's got some of the worst positional awareness I've ever seen. Teams targeted him early on in the season, and the penalty he gave away against Leeds was a prime reason why he's not good enough at this level because he gets caught ball watching and loses his man. Defensively and physically, Robinson is miles ahead and like I said above, it's much easier to coach the technical aspects of improving his crossing etc rather than teaching him how to defend first and foremost. It's also his first season at this level and personally I think he's done a pretty good job, aside from his crossing

Totally agree. Robinson has the potential at this level with fantastic pace. Bryan is a good back up, and possesses some quality for crossing. But, his positional sense in defending is not great. Aina is better than both of them though....

Facts Not Fiction

Aina is our best LB at this current moment.

Robinson has the potential, but has also backed it up with solid performances in his first season at this level.

Bryan has failed to impress in both PL seasons. I do expect him to leave this summer.

We also have Steve Sess/Opoku if we end up going down, as backup to Robinson.

Simply91

Quote from: 70sPimlico on February 20, 2021, 11:09:54 PM
I have no idea of Scotts thinking but we get less crosses in the box with Robinson (at least I think we do). everything else aside, I put him (sadly) in front of Joe

Interestingly, in Robinson's last proper run of games in the team,  there was a statistic on tv which stated that most of our attacking chances came through him during the system. Think it was the Liverpool game.

I think our full backs are very strong in ability and depth. Have had a few mates (arsenal and Leeds) who said they'd both take our full backs if we were to go down.

itombomb

Bryan isn't a good enough defender for this level. His inability to stay tight to his man and win tackles/blocks 1 on 1 has consistently been a killer for us.

Robinson is a much better defender (even with the odd mistake), and his athleticism is very valuable in stretching the pitch. But he's definitely our weakest regular starter technically.

bobbo

Just not been the same since the red card , but from his earlier performances we know he's got it . I like the lad.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Statto

His crossing and general technical ability seems limited and I'm sceptical whether he can ever get them to the level you expect from a first XI player in the PL

However, Fredericks became a PL full back despite not being able to cross and not having any real skill, so there's evidently a niche if you can find it in the right setup

Also don't think with Lookman does him any favours... Mola don't pass

Jim©

Robinson is very iffy defensively. If you have two minutes, watch the second goal v west brom. I'd be angry if my u16s did that. He's been diving in a lot too, did it v spurs about 3 times that almost cost us. I like him and think at the moment he's unpolished so with a huge load of potential. Bryan's crossing and awareness are way better imo. However in a four at the back, Aina is streets ahead at LB

hopper

Quote from: Jim© on February 21, 2021, 11:27:51 AM
Robinson is very iffy defensively. If you have two minutes, watch the second goal v west brom. I'd be angry if my u16s did that. He's been diving in a lot too, did it v spurs about 3 times that almost cost us. I like him and think at the moment he's unpolished so with a huge load of potential. Bryan's crossing and awareness are way better imo. However in a four at the back, Aina is streets ahead at LB

Just watched the WBA goal, Robinson is nowhere to be seen and just jogs around not tracking back to his zone whatsoever. That, plus the red card - can see why he was dropped for a couple of games.

He looks almost up to the level of a Premier League player, just missing that ability to make a key pass. Definitely would have him over Bryan whose defensive game wasn't up to scratch in the Championship, remember how it seemed like 80% of goals came down our left hand side last season. At least that isn't happening this campaign.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Statto on February 21, 2021, 11:17:49 AM
His crossing and general technical ability seems limited and I'm sceptical whether he can ever get them to the level you expect from a first XI player in the PL

However, Fredericks became a PL full back despite not being able to cross and not having any real skill, so there's evidently a niche if you can find it in the right setup

+1 from me.

He's too reliant on his raw athleticism and needs to develop a more technical aspect to his game.  He lacks finesse.  How many crosses of his have found a team mate this season?  I'd dare say you could count them on one hand.

Aina should be starting on the left and Tete on the right.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: hopper on February 21, 2021, 11:46:09 AM
Quote from: Jim© on February 21, 2021, 11:27:51 AM

Just watched the WBA goal, Robinson is nowhere to be seen and just jogs around not tracking back to his zone whatsoever. That, plus the red card - can see why he was dropped for a couple of games.

He looks almost up to the level of a Premier League player, just missing that ability to make a key pass. Definitely would have him over Bryan whose defensive game wasn't up to scratch in the Championship, remember how it seemed like 80% of goals came down our left hand side last season. At least that isn't happening this campaign.

I agree that Bryan isn't good enough defensively for the Premier League but he was one of the best left backs in the Championship. The reason we conceded lots of goals down our left was more because of Ream than Bryan.

Even with his shortcomings I would still prefer Bryan's footballing skills and reading of the game over Robinson's aimless Forrest Gump routine down the left when the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch. Robinson seems to lack any awareness of what's happeing around him and I doubt that's something that can be coached.

Neither of them are good enough for the Premier League really so it's a good thing we have Aina.

Both Bryan and Robinson can do a solid job for us next season if we're relegated though, which is a good thing because Aina will be gone.

Somerset Fulham

He has a head like a fifty pence piece, but I do like him.  He has time on his side, and if a club like AC Milan (even in their current, lesser state) wanted him then he has potential in my eyes.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: FFC In Oz on February 21, 2021, 01:26:12 PM

+1 from me.

He's too reliant on his raw athleticism and needs to develop a more technical aspect to his game.  He lacks finesse.  How many crosses of his have found a team mate this season?  I'd dare say you could count them on one hand.

Aina should be starting on the left and Tete on the right.

Fredericks is a good comparison. Both have the speed and athleticism to make up for their often poor positioning. Neither are effective crossers of the ball. The one thing Fred does/did better is time his runs. Robinson is constantly forced to stop or slow down to collect passes because he is taking off at full tilt before the passer is prepared to put it out to him. Completely negates his pace doing this.

perry geyton

Funny you say that I was thinking the same thing he's like a young version of Fredricks

Luka

There was a similar thread a few weeks back and nothing has happened to change my mind about Robinson since then. It's not his fault he's being asked to play above his ability level, it's just where he finds himself. He is a kick and run lower Championship/league one full back clearly out of his depth.
Reminds me a lot of AK47.........decent athlete just not a baller.

WindyCity

Robinson had been one of my favorite players.  He is not the same player since the red card, I really don't know how that can be explained.  I felt his crosses and passing were getting better several games before the red card.  But ever since the card, he is not playing well at all.  I think right now anyway, Aina should be getting his position and starting assignment.  Robinson will need to win his job back.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Luka on February 21, 2021, 05:35:04 PM
There was a similar thread a few weeks back and nothing has happened to change my mind about Robinson since then. It's not his fault he's being asked to play above his ability level, it's just where he finds himself. He is a kick and run lower Championship/league one full back clearly out of his depth.

League one standard and out of his depth? If he's a league one left back then why does he start most games for us and why do we not concede a shed load of goals down our left flank then? Considering at LB we've got a "league 1" standard LB and a LCB who's never played consistently at this level, our defensive record is nothing short of remarkable if we're hamstrung that badly LOL

WindyCity

Have to disagree.  I think AR can play at this level.  His problem right now is that he is just out of form.  Hasn't been playing well since his red card, imo. 

Luka

Quote from: Deeping_white on February 21, 2021, 05:42:45 PM

League one standard and out of his depth? If he's a league one left back then why does he start most games for us and why do we not concede a shed load of goals down our left flank then? Considering at LB we've got a "league 1" standard LB and a LCB who's never played consistently at this level, our defensive record is nothing short of remarkable if we're hamstrung that badly LOL

He was at Wigan who got relegated to League1 and then he came to us.
He hasn't improved.

Luckily we have some good players along side him.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Luka on February 21, 2021, 08:47:26 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on February 21, 2021, 05:42:45 PM

He was at Wigan who got relegated to League1 and then he came to us.
He hasn't improved.

Luckily we have some good players along side him.

Would have gone to AC Milan in the January window of that season if not for a heart issue.