News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Everyone saying it's between us and Newcastle, but I disagree !

Started by Riversider, February 22, 2021, 12:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

I think it's very much between us Palace and Burnley !
Burnley have just had back to back games against  us and WBA,  two games to save themselves,  two games to put daylight between themselves and the drop but they couldn't take their chance, in fact they were lucky to get away with a point against WBA, now they are very much involved in the battle to stay up,
But even more so are Crystal Palace,  off the pitch the club are in a real mess and the supporters have all turned on Roy, defeat tonight and then again against us on Sunday and I would say they are in free fall,
For any that are still disbelieving I ask you to go and have a look at their remaining fixtures,  their run in is horrendous,  truly horrendous,  I hope Brighton put three past them tonight to break what's left of their spirit, then hopefully we can capitalise on Sunday, out of all the teams in the bottom half there isn't one other club that relies on one player like they do with Zaha,
I think if Palace lose tonight then again against us on Sunday they will panic and get rid of Roy, who knows after that !

Whitesideup

Riversider - I appreciate your optimism, and sincerely hope you are right. The more attendees at the relegation-fight-party the better ! And that can and probably will include Newcastle I think, especially with Wilson out. As you didn't mention them, I suppose you think there's no point sending Brighton an invite? I'm afraid I would agree with that. They look far too good a side to me, and their run-in is really pretty good. But a bit like us, they can play well but not create too many clear-cut chances. The final third is a bit of an issue, and as we know, that can cost you lots of points. Nevertheless, if they beat Palace tonight, I would be pretty confident of them avoiding relegation. Lose .. and well, they'll be looking over their shoulders too.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 22, 2021, 12:33:55 PM
Riversider - I appreciate your optimism, and sincerely hope you are right. The more attendees at the relegation-fight-party the better ! And that can and probably will include Newcastle I think, especially with Wilson out. As you didn't mention them, I suppose you think there's no point sending Brighton an invite? I'm afraid I would agree with that. They look far too good a side to me, and their run-in is really pretty good. But a bit like us, they can play well but not create too many clear-cut chances. The final third is a bit of an issue, and as we know, that can cost you lots of points. Nevertheless, if they beat Palace tonight, I would be pretty confident of them avoiding relegation. Lose .. and well, they'll be looking over their shoulders too.

I'm a big fan of Brighton's, they just plain old look way better than their position in the league state's. I wish we would have had Maupay for the season. Fast, big, pain in the as striker. It's amazing that with our lack of a recognizable CF that we're this close to digging ourselves out.

Palace, Newcastle and Burnley are all at threat. But it's still up to us to make it happen. Three points against Palace will go a long way.

Statto

Quote from: Riversider on November 07, 2020, 01:27:11 PM
They wont be involved in a relegation battle in any way shape or form

Odd that you would say the foregoing about Southampton, and yet Palace, only one point below them and in much better form, are now in a three way battle for 17th

086.gif

Holders

I watched the Man U/Newcastle game yesterday and was surprised by Newcastle. If Palace can be brought into the mix then so much the better.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Tempest

Anyone who is down there is in the more. I'd go as far as Palace for me, providing Zaha is injured they will struggle, as long as Newcastle don't sack Bruce, they're in it.

Burnley and Brighton, I'd be surprised if one of those went down but they're not safe.

Palace for me are the highest placed team that could be dragged in.

Plenty of teams and games for us to bring others into it.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Riversider

Quote from: Statto on February 22, 2021, 12:45:13 PM
Quote from: Riversider on November 07, 2020, 01:27:11 PM
They wont be involved in a relegation battle in any way shape or form

Odd that you would say the foregoing about Southampton, and yet Palace, only one point below them and in much better form, are now in a three way battle for 17th

086.gif

Pretty simple really, Southampton are a better side than Palace.

Southcoastffc

After tonight's Palace v Brighton game, they have 13 games left, as do we, Burnley and Newcastle.   So, I took a look at the form table over the last 13 games and at the 13 remaining fixtures.  Burnley, surprising to me, have had a good spell and are 8th in the last 13 form table

8th   Burnley    19 pts gained
9    Leeds    18 pts
10    Brighton     16 pts
11    Wolves   16 pts
12    Villa      15 pts
13    Liverpool    15 pts
14    Fulham    14 pts
15    Palace   12 pts
16    Spurs   11 pts
17    Sheff Utd   10 pts
18    Newcastle   8 pts
19    West Brom     8 pts
20    Southampton   7 pts

Fixtures
Brighton

Feb 22: Crystal Palace (H)
Feb 27: West Brom (A)
Mar 6: Leicester City (H)
Mar 13: Southampton (A)
Mar 20: Newcastle (H)
Apr 3: Man United (A)
Apr 10: Everton (H)
April 17: Chelsea (A)
April 24: Sheff Utd (A)
May 1: Leeds (H)
May 8: Wolves (A)
May 11: W Ham (H)
May 15: Man City (H)
May 23: Arsenal (A)

Burnley
Feb 28: Spurs (A)
Mar 3: Leicester (H)
Mar 6: Arsenal (H)
Mar 14: Everton (A)
Apr 3: Southampton (A)
Apr 10: Newcastle (H)
Apr 17: Man United (A)
Apr 24: Wolves (A)
May 1: West Ham (H)
May 8: Fulham (A)
May 11: Leeds (H)
May 15: Liverpool (H)
May 23: Sheff Utd (A)

Crystal Palace
Feb 22: Brighton (A)
Feb 28: Fulham (H)
Mar 3: Man United (H)
Mar 7: Spurs (A)
Mar 15: West Brom (H)
Apr 3: Everton (A)
Apr 10: Chelsea (H)
Apr 17: Southampton (A)
Apr 24: Leicester (A)
May 1: Man City (H)
May 8: Sheff Utd (A)
May 11: Aston Villa (H)
May 15: Arsenal (H)
May 23: Liverpool (A)

Newcastle
Feb 27: Wolves (H)
Mar 6: West Brom (A)
Mar 13: Aston Villa (H)
Mar 20: Brighton (A)
Apr 3: Spurs (H)
Apr 10: Burnley (A)
Apr 17: West Ham (H)
Apr 24: Liverpool (A)
May 1: Arsenal (H)
May 8: Leicester (A)
May 12: Man City (H)
May 15: Sheff Utd (H)
May 23: Fulham (A)

Fulham
Feb 28: Crystal Palace (A)
Mar 4: Spurs (H)
Mar 7: Liverpool (A)
Mar 13: Man City (H)
Mar 20: Leeds (H)
Apr 3: Aston Villa (A)
Apr 10: Wolves (H)
Apr 17: Arsenal (A)
May 1: Chelsea (A)
May 8: Burnley (H)
May 12: Southampton (A)
May 15: Man Utd (A)
May 23: Newcastle (H)

I'm sure there'll be a few twists and turns but my guess is that we're going to finish with 31 points, one above Newcastle and one less than Palace.   Cock-eyed optimist? - you bet!
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

No-one will see your cock-eyes behind those rose-tinted spectacles!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Jim©

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 22, 2021, 02:25:41 PM

I'm sure there'll be a few twists and turns but my guess is that we're going to finish with 31 points, one above Newcastle and one less than Palace.   Cock-eyed optimist? - you bet!

If we finish with 31 points we'll be relegated.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Jim© on February 22, 2021, 02:32:09 PM

Not if Newcastle get 30. Their form is dire.  And WBA and Sheff Utd are not going to get anywhere near that figure.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jim©

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 22, 2021, 02:35:30 PM

Not if Newcastle get 30. Their form is dire.  And WBA and Sheff Utd are not going to get anywhere near that figure.
They'd have to get a record low 5 points from final 13 games (actually Derby only got 3 in that period). I've been saying all season that they'll be dragged in at the end of the season, but they're going to get more than 5 points between now and the end of the season. Aiming that low (9 points from 13 for us) will see us down. I'm very certain of it.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Jim© on February 22, 2021, 02:57:46 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 22, 2021, 02:35:30 PM

They'd have to get a record low 5 points from final 13 games (actually Derby only got 3 in that period). I've been saying all season that they'll be dragged in at the end of the season, but they're going to get more than 5 points between now and the end of the season. Aiming that low (9 points from 13 for us) will see us down. I'm very certain of it.
Well, like investments, past results are no guarantee to future performance but it does at least now seem we might be in for an exciting relegation battle and not just drifting aimlessly towards the Championship.  If,If ,If we beat Palace that would be a real fillip, so I'll be cheering Brighton along tonight in the hope that it keeps Palace looking nervously down the table.

FFC In Oz

Burnley are kind of like us in the sense that their style of play seems to lend itself to playing against better sides.

Us, Palace & Newcastle in the mix for 16th-18th in my opinion.

The Rational Fan

Every team above us can beat WBA and Sheffield United, plus most of them will draw a few games. Frankly, Fulham and Newcastle are the only teams i can imagine not reaching 38 points. We need to reach 38 points or one of Newcastle v Fulham are going down.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 22, 2021, 11:16:24 PM
Every team above us can beat WBA and Sheffield United, plus most of them will draw a few games. Frankly, Fulham and Newcastle are the only teams i can imagine not reaching 38 points. We need to reach 38 points or one of Newcastle v Fulham are going down.

38 points then, on that basis that is 16 more points out of a remaining 39 points to play for. Equivalent to 5 wins and a draw leaving 7 defeats, or 4 wins and 4 draws leaving 5 defeats.
It is feasible and I feel we really do need to start by first and foremost beating Crystal Palace to show we mean business, otherwise apart from letting precious points slip through our fingers, it will slow down our attempts to escape the trap door which is already ajar.
If we play at our best and they play to their best personally I reckon Fulham should win, as I saw little tonight to convince me that Palace are to be feared. Possibly to be wary of as they are a bit of a smash and grab team and therefore we cannot allow them to do to us what they did to Brighton.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitestone

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 23, 2021, 12:17:52 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 22, 2021, 11:16:24 PM

38 points then, on that basis that is 16 more points out of a remaining 39 points to play for. Equivalent to 5 wins and a draw leaving 7 defeats, or 4 wins and 4 draws leaving 5 defeats.
It is feasible and I feel we really do need to start by first and foremost beating Crystal Palace to show we mean business, otherwise apart from letting precious points slip through our fingers, it will slow down our attempts to escape the trap door which is already ajar.
If we play at our best and they play to their best personally I reckon Fulham should win, as I saw little tonight to convince me that Palace are to be feared. Possibly to be wary of as they are a bit of a smash and grab team and therefore we cannot allow them to do to us what they did to Brighton.

I agree. If we are at  our best we can beat Palace but as you say they are a smash and grab team which is exactly what we saw back in October when they beat us 2-1. We dominated possession but were undone on the counter attack. Fortunately I think we are better equipped to deal with that type of threat these days.

Lordedmundo

I'm fairly sure that we will need between 38-40 points to stay up.  There is no way whatsoever we will stay up with 31 points.

Palace and Southampton are definitely safe as far as I'm concerned.

Burnley's form would need to utterly collapse for them to go down. They are very good at getting results against teams around them in the table. I don't think they have lost home or away to a team lower in the table since Newcastle in October (and Newcastle were on a good run at that point)! We really do need to reverse that trend however when we play them in May!

There is a slight chance that Brighton get dragged into it - but if you look at their recent results they are in pretty much the same form as us. The four point gap is not unassailable, but as we have played them twice, there is no 'six pointer' that will help us catch them.

The most likely chance of survival is still beating Newcastle on the last day.

MickyAdamsFamily

I fancy Burnley's chances in their penultimate fixture...
Something ain't right there (check it out above)

filham

Our last three match results have kept us from being cast adrift in the relegation battle but we need a few more wins which means we have to score some more goals and they are not coming too frequently for us.
We must be favourite to go down with Sheffield and West Brom. but thankfully we are in there fighting, a nice little gift right
now would be for a fully fit Mitro to return and prove himself fit and ready for the Spurs game.