more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Cricket 3rd test

Started by Southcoastffc, February 24, 2021, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Southcoastffc

IMO test cricket is often interesting, occasionally boring, sometimes compelling, rarely exciting. This is one of those exciting matches.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 24, 2021, 12:50:43 PM
I never come to any conclusion until the opponent has had their first innings.

As I said in the above post you have to wait until both teams have batted before coming to any knee jerk hysterical conclusions. Too many writing England off for as soon as things go wrong especially when you consider the achievements we have made.
So it's game on.
However, we have not made a good start in the second innings.

Nevertheless, the state of the pitch is not test level hence the reason why it is a low scoring affair, and it is turning a lot.
Therefore, it could end in less than three days which is a nonsense.
Which begs the question has the pitch been doctored in favour of the home team, which would be no surprise
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ron

The state of the wicket has got into England's thinking. This is lemming type batting, swiping at the ball instead of getting to the pitch. Bairstow was trying to instantly atone for his first innings instead of playing himself in.

Having said that, the pitch is definitely a "homer".

PaulJ123

Bairstow was awful, both shots were awful and that first one, that bounce that saved him is pretty suspect.

We need to scrape a 170 min lead as can't see India batting so poorly again

Cambridge Pete

Wooly How could you suggest such a thing. Doctored pitches in Test Cricket!  The team(s) in all forms have done well and if not for the player rotation, might have done better. However, for the players I think it's the right thing to do. At least we will have four innings which at close last night was questionable. If Root has just gone three days may be optimistic. Looks to me like a slight bit of bat

ron

How did that decision take so long? Clear inside edge.

Fernhurst

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Slaphead in Qatar

This could be over in 2 days - bit ridiculous really.

Southcoastffc

But, perversely, most of the  England wickets to fall have been because the ball has gone straight.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Somerset Fulham

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 25, 2021, 12:30:07 PM

If it does go that way it will be a real shame as it's on proper tele, the commentary is good, the summarisers only say what's needed and it's not silly o clock. As a 'Somerset' house the dropping of Dom Bess, (albeit he is now a Yorkie ), was baffling. Potential wickets, runs and agility in the field versus the selection of the tree pace guys.
Anyway Jack Leach masterclass coming up.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 25, 2021, 12:47:14 PM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 25, 2021, 12:30:07 PM

If it does go that way it will be a real shame as it's on proper tele, the commentary is good, the summarisers only say what's needed and it's not silly o clock. As a 'Somerset' house the dropping of Dom Bess, (albeit he is now a Yorkie ), was baffling. Potential wickets, runs and agility in the field versus the selection of the tree pace guys.
Anyway Jack Leach masterclass coming up.

Yep and sending Moeen home to rest was a crazy decision. In fact England have rotated players all series - they are playing India away so not the series to rest your best players

Kemosabe

Equally, something tells me that the Indian cricket authorities will be a little underwhelmed by this pitch.  This match has spectators.
They will have sold tickets for four (perhaps five) days and - if the Test wraps up today (which seems likely) - will presumably have to refund the days with no play.

Wonder if there is anything in the broadcasting contracts on this as well...?

alfie

I'm surprised no one picked up my mistake

3 overs 3 maidens 8 runs, that does not compute
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ScalleysDad

Quote from: alfie on February 25, 2021, 12:59:35 PM
I'm surprised no one picked up my mistake

3 overs 3 maidens 8 runs, that does not compute

People probably did but at the moment this thread is bumpling along with no angst and Parker is definitely not at fault. I am taking an early lunch to ready myself for either a bit of bowling carnage or the Indian openers really rubbing our noises in it.
Ooops there goes Jimmy. The three pace men have contributed scandalously little. I wonder if the selectors will take a hit?

sunburywhite

What has RLC done in this test match?

Nothing at all
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Plodder

Test sides pre 1970s who were used to playing on worse and uncovered pitches would have made a better fist of it than both the batting teams in this game.  Boycott, Edrich, Barrington, Cowdrey, Graveney etc. would have expected to have ground out at least 150, with 200 considered a respectable return.  Very few batsmen have used their feet to come down the pitch, and most have been out to balls going on with the arm.  It is a bad pitch, though. If Joe Root can take 5-8, that says a lot. I don't mind seeing a Test like this from time to time where ball dominates bat, but I would not like two day matches to be anything but occasionally in Test match cricket.

(Edit: I do accept that the older generation had the advantage of being able to pad away a lot more deliveries without DRS helping the spinners to get LBWs)

ScalleysDad

Quote from: sunburywhite on February 25, 2021, 01:22:58 PM
What has RLC done in this test match?

Nothing at all

Boom tish. I had to pop out for a few minutes and India are well on their way already. I hope selection is analysed as much as the pitch and the pink ball.
Squad rotation will inevitably be discussed but I have some sympathy. Jos Butler has said how mentally tiring a bubble is and it's not like we can turn to players who have a wealth of experience with it.

Penfold

Not a good day for test cricket. In normal circumstances, spectators will feel cheated that they didn't get play and need to apply for a refund for the days where there is no play. Broadcasters aren't going to like feeling short changed.

Not sure how many India need to win the series by to get into the test final v New Zealand.