News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We must NOT have fans against Newcastle.

Started by MaximusDecimus, February 26, 2021, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximusDecimus

To be allowed fans for the final game against Newcastle would be morally wrong and extremely unethical. It would not even be ok if the result could not affect relegation positions as money for final places will be at stake in some of the fixtures that day. Just imagine if this was a reverse fixture and Newcastle were allowed fans and the game was about who stays up and who goes down ? We would all be very angry  and saying what i am saying here. If we are to stay up then we do it on a level playing field or we will be called out for years to come ?  All games on the final day must remain behind closed doors for the integrity of the game and the reward for the teams that stay up is playing in front of fans in the Premiership next season. That alone is incentive enough without needing the fans to create that incentive.

FulhamStu

Since when was football fair ?  You take any advantage you can.  Players are taught to cheat, Fulham have for year suffered wrongs against like the Derby game.  If we get an advantage from fans being slowed then you take it and move on. 

Frankly, I doubt it will happen, I suspect football will not be allowed to have fans present until next season but if given the chance we should take it.

RaySmith

I think protests from Newcastle would prevent it happening, and other clubs in similar situations.

Oakeshott

"or we will be called out for years to come"

Why? No special treatment would be being given us. IF fans are allowed back before the end of the season, it will be a decision by the PL authorities. (It is open to them to agree that fans can come back to all last day matches, or only those NOT involving premiership title-winning/relegation place deciding matches.)

If we thereby gain some theoretical advantage (no way of knowing whether having under 5,000 fans in to watch the match will make a scrap of difference to the result), it joins the long list of other things that may or may not give a side an advantage at some point in the season, such as playing a top side three days after they've flown thousands of miles to play some club in northern Russia in one of the European cup competitions.

bill taylors apprentice

What a load of old tosh!
Take every (legal) advantage you can!

cookieg

Sometimes I read some posts on here and think what a load of crap but this one really is up there with the best or worst of them. It won't be Fulham that decides it will be the PL and if Newcastle aren't happy about it tough.

mrmicawbers

We are not asking for it,they will decide what occurs.I personally don't think it's fair and would be unhappy if the boot was on the other foot.The play offs different matter.

Roberty

It's the luck of the draw

I am sure they want the fans back ASAP and to get them hungry for the season tickets that will go on sale soon afterwards
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Slaphead in Qatar

Having our fans there may put more pressure on the team in a negative way

F(f)CUK

I understand the point as I would not be happy if the positions were reversed. However, the money issue does not count as every match determines your final league position and not just the last one.

Statto

As someone noted on another thread, other clubs had more games with fans than us during the last re-opening, so it would just be balancing that out.

I also think some are overestimating how good the atmosphere will be at the Cottage with one stand shut and other other three only a quarter full. Let's be honest, it's a library most weeks even when it's full.

Fernhurst

Quote from: MaximusDecimus on February 26, 2021, 08:25:29 AM
To be allowed fans for the final game against Newcastle would be morally wrong and extremely unethical. It would not even be ok if the result could not affect relegation positions as money for final places will be at stake in some of the fixtures that day. Just imagine if this was a reverse fixture and Newcastle were allowed fans and the game was about who stays up and who goes down ? We would all be very angry  and saying what i am saying here. If we are to stay up then we do it on a level playing field or we will be called out for years to come ?  All games on the final day must remain behind closed doors for the integrity of the game and the reward for the teams that stay up is playing in front of fans in the Premiership next season. That alone is incentive enough without needing the fans to create that incentive.

+1 👍
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Jimmy Hill

Them the breaks, football is about the fans. Also bet it wouldnt be stopped if it was the other way round

epsomraver

Quote from: cookieg on February 26, 2021, 09:00:45 AM
Sometimes I read some posts on here and think what a load of crap but this one really is up there with the best or worst of them. It won't be Fulham that decides it will be the PL and if Newcastle aren't happy about it tough.
0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

Tempest

Think the argument becomes difficult when the words morally wrong are used.

It's football, morals do not come into it.

Things do need to become more black and white. If fans are allowed back then they come back. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that but of course someone will be offended and often the majority are hamstrung by the minority.

Besides, 4000 Fulham fans is hardly a Turkish welcome to hell situation.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

filham

Of course the OP is right, but who is suggesting it may be otherwise. As far as I can see it is just media generated gossip.

Lordedmundo

I disagree completely.

You could just as easily argue it is morally and ethically wrong to deny fans the opportunity to attend a football match when the government/PL have agreed it is 'safe' to do so.

Deeping_white

Perhaps while you're on the case, can we also request that the other team only have 29k supporters in their ground when we play away games as it's unethical that they'd be allowed to have more people watching them than we can at a home game?

Woolly Mammoth

I would be surprised if it goes ahead, but I have no real objection, and by then we should be safe anyway.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Tempest

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 26, 2021, 12:04:30 PM
I would be surprised if it goes ahead, but I have no real objection, and by then we should be safe anyway.
Not up for another Portsmouth? Being safe is just so unexciting

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!