News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We must NOT have fans against Newcastle.

Started by MaximusDecimus, February 26, 2021, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Tempest on February 26, 2021, 12:35:39 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 26, 2021, 12:04:30 PM
I would be surprised if it goes ahead, but I have no real objection, and by then we should be safe anyway.
Not up for another Portsmouth? Being safe is just so unexciting

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

That's a good point, nothing like a last day great escape.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

For some it could be their only chance to see us in the Premier. You don't know when it might happen again. It would be morally wrong to deny them that experience

junior white

When did people think it was morally fair or an advantage earlier this season when some teams could have fans and some couldn't? When some could have 4,000 and some 2,000.

Utter poppycock

The Rock

If fans (25%) are allowed by law, they should be able to attend, regardless the nature of the fixture.

We don't make the fixture list. We don't make law. Roles reversed if we were away to Newcastle the same should apply.

I am guessing this thread is a wind up.

akf

When i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was a sermon in opposition to Fulham fans being anti-Newcastle in principle: "we must not have fans [who are] against Newcastle."  Serves me right for logging in after a few beers. 

MaximusDecimus

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 26, 2021, 08:44:00 AM
What a load of old tosh!
Take every (legal) advantage you can!
[/quote

Of course you would say the same if the boot was on the other foot and we were away at Newcastle in a relegation decider ?  Everyone would be going ape !

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: MaximusDecimus on February 26, 2021, 08:25:29 AM
To be allowed fans for the final game against Newcastle would be morally wrong and extremely unethical. It would not even be ok if the result could not affect relegation positions as money for final places will be at stake in some of the fixtures that day. Just imagine if this was a reverse fixture and Newcastle were allowed fans and the game was about who stays up and who goes down ? We would all be very angry  and saying what i am saying here. If we are to stay up then we do it on a level playing field or we will be called out for years to come ?  All games on the final day must remain behind closed doors for the integrity of the game and the reward for the teams that stay up is playing in front of fans in the Premiership next season. That alone is incentive enough without needing the fans to create that incentive.
Possibly the most woke post ever

WolverineFFC

This post rings hollow when fans have already attended matches this season. That implies somehow game 38 counted for more points than every other game where fans attended.

I have no sympathy for Newcastle on this issue. Without Wilson's dive and Potter's incompetence, Fulham would currently be in 17th place. The last game of the season may have been irrelevant in this scenario.

St Eve

Quote from: Deeping_white on February 26, 2021, 11:59:05 AM
Perhaps while you're on the case, can we also request that the other team only have 29k supporters in their ground when we play away games as it's unethical that they'd be allowed to have more people watching them than we can at a home game?
I was just about to post exactly the same thing

The Rock

Quote from: St Eve on February 26, 2021, 11:56:17 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on February 26, 2021, 11:59:05 AM
Perhaps while you're on the case, can we also request that the other team only have 29k supporters in their ground when we play away games as it's unethical that they'd be allowed to have more people watching them than we can at a home game?
I was just about to post exactly the same thing

Love this.

RaySmith

All hypothetical at the moment - in reality who knows what will happen.

Willham

I disagre, while I agree with the premise I disagree that fans should be banned because Newcastle could be relegated because of it.

We talk a lot about 'big' clubs getting preferential treatment and I personally believe this argument is one. If it were between us and let's say burnley, I dont think any newspapers would have printed this story and I dont think anyone would be considering banning fans for the last match. But because its affecting a team with a large fan base, Newcastle. It's been blow out of proportion.

Some teams in this league have already played more games with fans then others, if we ban fans for the last game, then all games with fans should be void and replayed under fair rules.

Again champions league and Europa league set a president that away goals are still being counted for winning over two legs, while some countries allow fans in and other countrys dont so some teams have an advantage in their home leg over others but as UEFA have announced their doing nothing about this then the premier league shouldnt either.

So although I agree full heartedly, I dont think it could be implemented fairly. It would be giving a bigger disadvantage over us that all other teams across europe have been given.

Jeroen

Uhhhh sorry!?!?! I understand your rational and yes it gives us an advance, but......

Did Newcastle say: sorry ref we won't take the penalty has the foul was outside the box!?!!
Did the League say: Sorry Fulham it wasn't a penalty, so we award you the win!?!?
NO, so life isn't fair at times, take what advantage you can!

Dunstable Fulham

Ridiculous argument by the thread creator. We take every legitimate advantage made available to us by the authorities. I would argue that we are being penalised if the authorities deem it not fair for us to have fans in when the government have allowed it. It's the luck of the draw I'm afraid.

I very much hope we are safe by then.

MaximusDecimus

Quote from: Dunstable Fulham on February 27, 2021, 11:56:52 AM
Ridiculous argument by the thread creator. We take every legitimate advantage made available to us by the authorities. I would argue that we are being penalised if the authorities deem it not fair for us to have fans in when the government have allowed it. It's the luck of the draw I'm afraid.

I very much hope we are safe by then.

Am amazed you think it a ludicrous argument. i believe it is a quite interesting one and good for discussion purposes. Its not so much an argument as my own personal opinion. I played county pool and a couple of internationals in my twenties and the behaviour of some opponents and the bad losing ( when i managed to win ) of some opponents made me someone who is very sporting and gracious in defeat. That is just me and I did not set out to cause offence but to give my personal opinion. I hope we are safe by then.Nothing would give me more pleasure but my argument will stand in some other game that day . If a game can decide Europe , promotion or relegation on final day I am certain however media attention will be high and in such games NO fans will be allowed due to possible legal ramifications. Anyway COYW and have a nice weekend sir.

Dunstable Fulham

I appreciate your view. You are fully entitled to it. I felt it was ridiculous because it will not be our decision. It will be down to the football authorities. On that basis we will be acting within the rules as im sure you have always done  with your county pool and I have always tried to do when playing adult league cricket for 40 years of my life.

The league season consists of 38 league games, not one and I expect consistency from the football authorities on whether fans will be allowed in to the game. It was fine for the premier league to follow guidance from the government back in November and December and I think it's only right that they do so with any remaining fixtures.

Dunstable Fulham

I also meant to wish you a good weekend and hope we can both enjoy the game and the outcome tomorrow.
I see that Newcastle are now 1-0 up but at least Brighton are very much back in the mix.