watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Power Ranking

Started by cottage expat, February 26, 2021, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cottage expat

For what it's worth, I see that Fulham is ranked #4 in the current Premier League Power Rankings. Nice to see the recent positive momentum recognized.

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

filham

What on earth are Power Rankings ?. Something to do with our new floodlights perhaps.

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Craven Mad

This is strange. I don't understand what it's trying to show.

Twig

No clear criteria, no objective data, I don't see the point?

filham

Quote from: Twig on February 26, 2021, 08:23:20 PM
I suspect it is the media in the States showing they can be more  more spectacular than UK media  but only succeeding in demonstrating their inability to communicate with UK fans.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on February 27, 2021, 10:13:22 AM
I suspect it is the media in the States showing they can be more  more spectacular than UK media  but only succeeding in demonstrating their inability to communicate with UK fans.

Precisely
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

It's pretty much just the form table.

But being American they've given it a sexier name... reminds me of that Budweiser advert for football with monster trucks at half-time and 'added time multiball' etc...

Woolly Mammoth

A load of balls if you ask me. ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

Welcome to American sports "news". As much as you lot complain about your sport announcers, you don't have to suffer through the self importance of ESPN broadcasters.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

SouthIslandWhite

Well written article. It is an NFL style piece but quite accurate.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.

Logicalman

Usual NBC stuff. At least you don't have to watch their pre-post match comments and analysis. They make a stupid observation and then call it 'news' and run with it as though it's actually a real fact or anybody outside the studio actually cares! I thought ESPN was bad, NBC(SN) has taken that mantle and ran down the hill even further.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

BarryP

You suspect wrongly. It's simply an article targeting a US audience, for which, this format of power rankings is used across multiple sports. The writer won't care if people outside his target audience are to closed minded to enjoy the article.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

filham

Quote from: BarryP on February 27, 2021, 08:35:45 PM
An analysis of a sample of his targe

You suspect wrongly. It's simply an article targeting a US audience, for which, this format of power rankings is used across multiple sports. The writer won't care if people outside his target audience are to closed minded to enjoy the article.
An analysis of a sample of his target audience would be interesting if that is the kind of material that commands their attention.

jarv

Looks a bit like current form to me.

St Eve

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 27, 2021, 12:49:10 PM
A load of balls if you ask me. ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
Agreed, but we are 4th. Fantastic news I think.

BarryP

Quote from: jarv on February 28, 2021, 02:42:21 AM
Looks a bit like current form to me.

That is exactly what it is. One reporters opinion of each squads current form. Across all sports in the US   that type of discussion is called a power ranking. As Statto suggested it is the same thing with a different name.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Twig

Quote from: BarryP on February 27, 2021, 08:35:45 PM

I, for one, was not criticising the article per se. I was questioning the objective basis of "power rankings". To be clear, this was not a dig at American sports journalism; I was merely questioning how, what appears to be an opinion piece, can be titled as a set of rankings. Nothing about being closed minded and I would make the same criticism if it were to appear in a British or European journal.