watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Selhurst Park 19 April 1969

Started by SP, February 26, 2021, 09:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

As Sehurst Park is my nearest ground, I think I've attended every FFC match at Palace since this fixture in 1969.  I'm sure others have a longer record, anyone make this or earlier fixtures?

https://www.11v11.com/teams/crystal-palace/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Fulham/

70sPimlico

I always remember the one as a young teen going there and winning. I think 1-0 and leaving. Out the ground, word was that the ref had come back out as he realised he had blown too early.

Seems ridiculous now and now Im typing I'm thinking I've made it up. Someone put me straight

RaySmith

Coming from Brixton/Tulse hill, I grew up watching them in the  4th division with my mum and dad - where we stood, quite high  up  behind the goal at the Whitehorse lane end , wasn't even terracing, just a grassy bank.
I remember they played a Caribbean 11 in a friendly and won 11-1.
Johnny Byrne was the young hero, and i can still name the team i used to watch.

Just as i can name the Fulham team i escaped to  start watching in the early  60's.

I haven't live in that area since the early 80's, and  haven't even lived in London for quite a few years now.

I've seen Fulham there a few times, but the only game that really sticks in my mind was when George Best played for us, and broke their captain Ian Evans's leg in a tackle, and the  blokes in the local  pub Sunday league team i played for  wouldn't let me forget it.

St Eve

Quote from: 70sPimlico on February 26, 2021, 10:54:42 PM
I always remember the one as a young teen going there and winning. I think 1-0 and leaving. Out the ground, word was that the ref had come back out as he realised he had blown too early.

Seems ridiculous now and now Im typing I'm thinking I've made it up. Someone put me straight
you are correct. I was at that game

AJW48361

Brian Greenaway scored seem to remember.

SP

Palace away always seems to be an eventful match.  After Georgie broke Evans leg I had to take a few days off sick as I learnt a very warm reception awaited me at school.  We actually got back in the ground for the early finish to see about 20 seconds of the added time.  Another occasion, I had a free ticket in the home end with a Palace mate, was gutted when everyone around me celebrated the early sending off of Ian Pearce (I think) & subsequent defeat.

Dr Know

Quote from: RaySmith on February 27, 2021, 01:12:17 AM
Coming from Brixton/Tulse hill, I grew up watching them in the  4th division with my mum and dad - where we stood, quite high  up  behind the goal at the Whitehorse lane end , wasn't even terracing, just a grassy bank.

Just as i can name the Fulham team i escaped to  start watching in the early  60's.

I haven't live in that area since the early 80's, and  haven't even lived in London for quite a few years now.

I've seen Fulham there a few times, but the only game that really sticks in my mind was when George Best played for us, and broke their captain Ian Evans's leg in a tackle, and the  blokes in the local  pub Sunday league team i played for  wouldn't let me forget it.
Wasn't that the 3-2 win for us October 1977 ?

bog

That 1969 game, were we not winning 0-2 (Brian Dear, Frank Large) at h/t only to lose 3-2?

092.gif

Arthur Scagfoot

The '69 game was their promotion match. I think they were already up and we were down. There was a massive crowd, about 50k, and me and my Dad were the only Fulham fans in the home end  (Homesdale?)with about 20k Palace fans. They came back with 3 second half goals to win it, then there was a massive celebration with the players throwing their shirts into the crowd. It was hard to begrudge them, but we were miserable as sin!

Colton F.C.

Johnny Byrne, Frank Large, Brian Dear.............. the golden pre TK age of Fulham recruitment.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on February 27, 2021, 08:43:05 AM
That 1969 game, were we not winning 0-2 (Brian Dear, Frank Large) at h/t only to lose 3-2?

092.gif

Yes that is correct I was there with a new girlfriend at the time, 2 0 at half time and then the second half went down hill.
We got relegated and they got promoted.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Dr Know on February 27, 2021, 07:52:05 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on February 27, 2021, 01:12:17 AM

Wasn't that the 3-2 win for us October 1977 ?

Yes that is how I remember it, a Palace mate of mine got me a ticket to sit in the main stand where the dugouts are. Their fans didn't half give George Best some stick and for some reason which I cannot remember did the same to Teddy Maybank. But the win was sweet as a nut.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

gang

Teddy Maybank played for Brighton and the 2 sets of supporters consider each club as rivals..

HillingdonFFC

Bar the 86 Charlton game, I've done every Fulham game at Selhurst since 82
Best run for me is every Brentford game home & away, in all comps, & the odd stiffs since 1980. Missed one game at Reading since 1981