more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Classical music

Started by sunburywhite, February 27, 2021, 02:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Whilst its not my top choice for music I do however love it when I hear it

I had a lovely morning listening to Holst planets then I found this link below and have had a lovely 4 hours so far listening to it

I knever knew Eric Carmens All By Myself is based on the second movement (Adagio sostenuto) of Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Opus 18

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Tempest

I massage with Einaudi playing in the background, well, he isn't sitting there in the room, on Alexa, definitely music for me rather than clients but they do enjoy it too.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

WindyCity

Yeah, I enjoy classical from time to time.  Big Rachmaninoff fan.

Lately though, been listening to a lot more jazz.  On my Apple HomePod.

WhiteJC

one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard...
Delibes: Lakmé - Duo des fleurs (Flower Duet), Sabine Devieilhe & Marianne Crebassa

HobGoblin

I'd recommend - Night Window from Thomas Newman

Not sure if that works

Also Spiegel Im Spiegel by Arvo Part

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Tempest on February 27, 2021, 02:54:15 PM
I massage with Einaudi playing in the background, well, he isn't sitting there in the room, on Alexa, definitely music for me rather than clients but they do enjoy it too.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Glad you said massage!
Tee hee

Dodgin

Lucky to say I saw both Pavarotti and Domingo live, although on the outside at Covent Garden in the days when opera was shown live on closed circuit. Two of the current crop of tenor and soprano, this is beautiful as is Angela.   

PaulUMD

Big fan.  Can't talk about classical music on an English message board without due respect to one of your own!

alfie

I am a fanatical lover of the blues, whether Deep South or Chicago, but I have one view on music, I like what sounds good in my ear. I really dislike it it when someone describes some form of music as rubbish, my sons do that when I put on some Muddy Waters, and I have to keep reminding them that the majority of popular music is related to the blues, if you don't like it that's fine it's not to your taste, but don't ever call music whatever form it takes as rubbish.
End of my sermon.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

H4usuallysitting

I have a dark secret....love opera....if you get the opportunity go to Verona for the opera season - it's pure drama

Holders

I'm not sure there's such a thing as "classical" music, the range and diversity are just too broad. Classic music, maybe, as opposed to the mainly very transient.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ScalleysDad

I like to keep things simple these days and retuned the weekday morning radio to Simon Mayo and Scala from Radio two. Rueben, four months old already, seems content with it. The Canon Suite by Pachebel is a good soothing tune that Scalley had not heard before but now has on her phone for emergencies and simply because she likes it. Her
best friend delivered a girl last week who she called Etta. She went straight onto Alexa and we had some interesting breakfast tunes.
As Alfie and others have said never too old to discover something new and different.

Goodness me. Just found out Mayo left Scala on Friday for a tea time slot. My bad as they say.

BestOfBrede

For today...

bog

I like most types of music. In my dotage Classic FM does for me most of the time.

Does anyone watch the Sky Arts channel on freeview number 11? Some excellent docus on groups. Yesterday it was Yes. Friday night Bill Withers was interviewed, came across as a really decent chap. Wrote some brilliant songs did Bill. For instance 'Granma's Hands'. What a lovely voice his daughter has.   :54:

092.gif     

WhiteJC

just right for a Sunday morning?...

roberto w6

Ludovico Einaudi has already been mentioned. I regularly listen to his album I Giorni, which I think is brilliant, as well as the more traditional Mozart's Concertos #20 and 21, Beethoven's 5th and 7th symphonies, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos #1-3, Strauss waltzes and other compilations of classical music.
During the lockdown, I have tried to start learning to play guitar which is something I'd always wanted to do from my teenage years in the 1980s. It has introduced me to jazz guitar (Wes Montgomery through to early George Benson and beyond) which I'd also recommend.
That said, last night there was a documentary on Sky Arts about The Jam which I stayed up til 2.00 am to watch. I guess no matter how much I may read the broadsheets, watch Morse and listen to classical music - you can take the boy out of Hammersmith Broadway but you can't take the Broadway out of the boy  :005:

ianthailand

Agree with H4 re Verona Opera Festival. I went 3 years in a row in the early nineties. The setting is unbelievable and an experience that ranks up there as one of my most treasured. If anyone has a passing interest in Opera make it a must once things get back to normal.

WindyCity

Never saw Pavarotti live but did see Domingo live.  Also saw live performance of Kathleen Battle in recital.  Outstanding!  What a voice! 

Holders

Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2021, 04:00:56 PM
Never saw Pavarotti live but did see Domingo live.  Also saw live performance of Kathleen Battle in recital.  Outstanding!  What a voice! 

Agreed, she is superb.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Logicalman

Quote from: Holders on February 28, 2021, 09:46:17 AM
I'm not sure there's such a thing as "classical" music, the range and diversity are just too broad. Classic music, maybe, as opposed to the mainly very transient.

Perhaps a better description might be Orchestral music then? I guess that might be closer to most peoples idea of 'classical'.

As another on here mentioned, Holst, The Planets is perhaps the one I listen most to. I recall growing up to listening to my mums favorite conductor, Mantovani, which gave me my start to that genre. Listening to the Tenors helps me get through the day also.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.