https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Classical music

Started by sunburywhite, February 27, 2021, 02:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: Logicalman on February 28, 2021, 09:04:39 PM
Quote from: Holders on February 28, 2021, 09:46:17 AM
I'm not sure there's such a thing as "classical" music, the range and diversity are just too broad. Classic music, maybe, as opposed to the mainly very transient.

Perhaps a better description might be Orchestral music then? I guess that might be closer to most peoples idea of 'classical'.

As another on here mentioned, Holst, The Planets is perhaps the one I listen most to. I recall growing up to listening to my mums favorite conductor, Mantovani, which gave me my start to that genre. Listening to the Tenors helps me get through the day also.

Yes, I think orchestral is what most people think of by "classical" but there's Early, Baroque, opera, the modern minimalist stuff, quartets, etc. etc. I think of classic as meaning standing the test of time. Trad. folk is classic as well by that definition e.g O'Carolan. 

These guys combine "classic" and trad. wonderfully, imho:

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Does classical music have any bounds?  Listen to an orchestra or band playing Shostakovich's hastily written transposition of Youman's 'Tea for Two' (Tahiti Trot), or his own original film or jazz suites and you can be forgiven for thinking there is lot more foot tapping and fun in a dry classical composer's catalogue than you might first believe.

Much classical music that was written for solo performance found its way into orchestral arrangements (and vice versa), and many melodies found words written to provide singers with stuff to do.   That happened with operas too with many of the composers putting words to music using melodies they had written long before or adapting and finishing themes put to one side for a rainy day.   Opera was popular stage entertainment back in the day just as musicals were last century.

Classical music encompasses local traditional folk, chants or working songs, dance tunes and melodies which were popular in different localities.  Many of our tunes are thought to have ancient beginnings and music may well have been around since the beginnings of life with beat, rhythm and wordless sound being the most basic skills required to make a tune or send a message which could be heard a long way distant.   There is still a lot we do not understand about sophisticated birdsong as an example of highly effective communication.  Since the very earliest times one creature could make a lot of noise and to great purpose it would seem.

As an example of classical music's variety the drama of Shakespeare's romantic tragedy 'Romeo and Juliet' (Play) has been used by Berlioz (Choral Symphony), Tchaikovsky (Fantasy Overture), Prokofiev (Ballet), Bernstein (Musical), and Knopfler (Song) to name but five composer/musicians who did so and they are all markedly different in length, application and interpretation but commonly share ideas, shapes and themes.   

If you like guitar music you may want to listen to the Adagio in Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez which gained much popularity from its first performance in 1940. The melody of the adagio has been transcribed for many other instruments but the whole concerto is worthy of hearing if you like guitar.   If you like piano music you may want to listen to Richard Adinsell's 'Warsaw Concerto' written in 1941 for the film 'Dangerous Moonlight'.   Chopin's unforgettable Ballade in G minor was used in the film 'The Pianist' – it'll either get to you or not as the case may be.  Films have always provided brilliant music and Ennio Morricone's (of spaghetti fame) is a good name to look out for but there are many, many others.   There are superb arrangements of Vivaldi's Four Seasons on YouTube which kind of bridge the centuries' long gap between composition and performance. 

Music is music and to be enjoyed however you like it served.

Holders

Well said, TM. I just think that many people are put off if they hear the word "classical", see a formal orchestra or people in dicky bows or long frocks.

Music is what you like and keep an open mind...

sunburywhite

I just found this

I vow to thee my country with amazing footage of Churchills funeral

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

So beautiful

Samuel Barber Agnus Ddei

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

e4b

Thanks for posting that Sunburywhite. The power of music.

sunburywhite

Quote from: e4b on March 05, 2021, 08:57:43 PM

Its so evocative

RaySmith

Love this film and the music -

e4b

Not sure where to post this but how talented are these guys. Classically trained as were numerous top rock stars.

Just thought this was a bit of fun!!

Woolly Mammoth

If music be the food of love, play on.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Quote from: sunburywhite on March 05, 2021, 10:00:54 PM
Quote from: e4b on March 05, 2021, 08:57:43 PM

Its so evocative

That's one, and Jerusalem, that make me so homesick tbh, evocative, highly emotional, immense pride are just some of the words that brings up, the reasons as to why I could never relinquish my British Nationality.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

H4usuallysitting

Classical music has many cross overs....ELO for instance

Holders

I knew the cello player from ELO. He played most genres but seemed to prefer Early, Baroque and forms of trad.

I have a photo of him in the local pub playing some quirky thing that someone made for him - if I knew how to post it.

BestOfBrede

WhiteJC

this is different...
Johann Sebastian Bach - toccata & fugue by Sinfonity

Holders

Now that is different! John Williams did a guitar version with his band Sky but here's my favourite:

In fact it's the message notification on my phone.

e4b

THANKS GUYS BOTH WERE BRILLIANT,

shepperton white

I only have 2 channels on my car radio - Classic FM or talk sport.  My secret passion is listening (and watching on video) the stunning Kathryn Jenkins

sunburywhite

We played the 2 Cellos Gabriels Oboe at my dads funeral, beautiful music

BestOfBrede

That really is beautiful music Sunburywhite, really nice - thanks for sharing