Main Menu

RLC rant number 20

Started by grandad, February 28, 2021, 03:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Quote from: grandad on February 28, 2021, 08:02:59 PM
Quote from: SG on February 28, 2021, 07:10:45 PM
Quote from: grandad on February 28, 2021, 06:11:39 PM
For us he is just a make weight making up the numbers. What exactly has he contributed? So little for such an important position.

I prefer to go with Parker's choice which is he plays an effective role in the team and does what is required of him as part of the managers game plan
How many goals & assists has he created since the beginning of the season.?
Not enough as I would have expected but I think they are coming.

However, despite still being in bottom 3, our results and performances have improved to a far greater level.

RLC has played most games in this turnaround. No, he has not uprooted trees and dragged us up the table but he is part of a developing team that has given us a chance of survival. I think he is crucial to us and our improved form.

I watch a player that is absolute class in a white shirt that has improved us as a whole.

I just do not see the player that some on here do.

I do get the feeling some only see his mistakes and have a complete blind spot for everything else. Either that, or we're watching a different game.

SG

Quote from: Moltobueno on February 28, 2021, 09:06:22 PM
Even if he scored a hat-trick, he'll still be the scapegoat for the rest of the season for some people here

Exactly right

NewYorkYank

Quote from: SG on February 28, 2021, 09:11:04 PM
Even if he scored a hat-trick, he'll still be the scapegoat for the rest of the season for some people here

Exactly right
How about just one goal or even an assist. 

I will agree that the past two games he has played better -- that one touch pass into the box was sumptuous.  But he has been put in a position to influence games, and he has not.  I reiterate that if he were Cav, who has produced better results, he would not get the respect he gets from many.  The reason he upsets me, and why I suspect he is such a lightning rod, is that he is the only player who continues to hold his place in the starting lineup regardless of whether he plays well.

Notwithstanding his better play today, when Frank was withdrawn, and RLC was asked to play deeper, Fulham almost lost control of the game.  He was non-existent -- Reed looked like he was in there alone.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: SG on February 28, 2021, 07:10:45 PM
Quote from: grandad on February 28, 2021, 06:11:39 PM
For us he is just a make weight making up the numbers. What exactly has he contributed? So little for such an important position.

I prefer to go with Parker's choice which is he plays an effective role in the team and does what is required of him as part of the managers game plan

It's sad this doesn't make more sense to a lot of the folks who comment here. They don't watch football very well.

perry geyton

Quote from: JackHamlet90 on February 28, 2021, 09:05:37 PM
I thought Loftus Cheek had a good game & has been much better last 6/7 games
Much better yeah but not good enough and hasn't chipped in with any goals, for a number 10 that's rather sad

I thought the commentator summed him up well

Deeping_white

Quote from: NewYorkYank on February 28, 2021, 10:10:31 PM

Exactly right
How about just one goal or even an assist. 

I will agree that the past two games he has played better -- that one touch pass into the box was sumptuous.  But he has been put in a position to influence games, and he has not.  I reiterate that if he were Cav, who has produced better results, he would not get the respect he gets from many.  The reason he upsets me, and why I suspect he is such a lightning rod, is that he is the only player who continues to hold his place in the starting lineup regardless of whether he plays well.

Notwithstanding his better play today, when Frank was withdrawn, and RLC was asked to play deeper, Fulham almost lost control of the game.  He was non-existent -- Reed looked like he was in there alone.

I think this sums it up pretty well. The problem with RLC is that he's here because he was out injured for Chelsea and is using us as a means to get back to his "best", but he's seemingly guaranteed a starting spot irrespective of how he plays now. If he was a player that we'd paid £8m for like we paid for Reed then I'd be more willing to cut him some slack and say the performances match the price tag, but this is a guy earning over £100k a week and is meant to be worth £30m and yet he's contributed less on the goal front than players from our championship squad last year, despite getting more minutes and being an attacking midfielder - something you can't say about Reed who seems like a genuine bargain for a combative DM. He's also so frustratingly inconsistent because he shows flashes of being quite good, but in most games that's a 10 minute period when we're on top and so he's playing with the momentum. I can't remember him taking a game by the scruff of the neck at any point and bossing it, which for someone of his supposed quality and price tag, I'd probably expect to see. If he can show his ability for a whole game whilst also being productive then I would be delighted, but we're now in March and I'm yet to see it

Willham

I really try to see both sides of this argument on RLC, I really like the idea of him but then I watch him play and I get frustrated, I think some people expect more but honestly on paper his stats for his position is atrocious. Today I thought he stepped up second half, first half he was not around and doing his usual completely missing the ball attempting headers, but second half I was impressed, the chance he created with a little one two was very good although the side foot lame attempt at a shot had this season all over it. I do feel TC would have placed that in the top corner no problem but then I wonder RLC created the chance so would TC? I'll never know, what I'm thinking is maybe he needs to play at a higher tempo, we definitely raised the tempo at the start of the second half and when Cavaliero came on which was when I thought RLC played best. Could it maybe be a problem with tactics over getting to fitness?

The Rock

Look, he's only had half a season. Let's see how he does against Everton, BHA, Sheffield Utd and Palace.

hongkongfulham

Quote from: FFC NY on February 28, 2021, 03:39:35 PM
Efan Ekoku was the first commentator/pundit I've heard lay into him. Said for a guy his size and athletic ability he needs to be getting a lot more goals and assists, and he is absolutely right. I don't think he played badly as such but he needs to be doing more. 95% of what he does is safe, he needs to take more risks and push us forward quicker.

Was pleasantly surprised to her Efan say this. Seemed like all the ex pros had to decided to gee him up but as Keane says 'my eyes dont lie to me'

FFC In Oz

Quote from: hongkongfulham on March 01, 2021, 03:47:31 AM
Quote from: FFC NY on February 28, 2021, 03:39:35 PM
Efan Ekoku was the first commentator/pundit I've heard lay into him. Said for a guy his size and athletic ability he needs to be getting a lot more goals and assists, and he is absolutely right. I don't think he played badly as such but he needs to be doing more. 95% of what he does is safe, he needs to take more risks and push us forward quicker.

Was pleasantly surprised to her Efan say this. Seemed like all the ex pros had to decided to gee him up but as Keane says 'my eyes dont lie to me'

Me too.

Whenever I hear the commentators us international fans get they are all full of praise for RLC irrespective of how well he actually plays.

The bottom line is that he needs to contribute more at the attacking end of the pitch.  He needs goals, but more importantly he needs assists.

He doesn't bring either of those to the table at the moment.

SG

The criticism about his lack of goals could be applied to virtually every one of our midfield. I stand by what I said. If Parker is picking him he judges him to be the best option for that role. We are too quick to criticise.
Go back to the early comments about Frank or Aina or Areola on here.
This team has just gone 7 away games unbeaten. They're doing something right. It's a shame we were such a shambles for the first half dozen games

perry geyton

Exactly right

He's not scoring a hat trick though is he ?
He hasn't scored once yet all season

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: perry geyton on March 01, 2021, 07:14:53 AM

Exactly right

He has scored one goal.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Hugh Gentry

I just don't get the constant slagging of RLC, the opposition don't like playing against him in general, for his build he has good movement and play the pivot between midfield and up front, he is not a striker.

Since he came into the team, the results and performances have looked up. I would trust Parker on this.

I actually despise the constant digging of any player, when it is always from one or two posters.

ScalleysDad

I quite like the conspiracy theories on things like the RLC loan deal saying he has to play or the photographs he might have or the brown envelopes being passed around but is'nt it far simpler. Cairney has been out, Lemina has been in and out, Kongolo is waiting to happen, the bench has been decidedly average at times and it is only over the last couple of games that making a substitution does not weaken the team. In all this time RLC has remained fully fit.

junior white

I re watched the game this morning before i commented on it today, for me there were very few players who got 7 or 8 out of ten. Anderson did and reed after that I struggled, so I wont single out one player to be the spare goat here. For me as this is about RLC he was poor in the first half but in the second I thought he was a lot better, made some good runs with the ball, held off players and bought others in to play. The problem is sometimes we do not move enough off the ball, Lookman for one didnt run beyond the defence, Aina didnt yesterday (but both of those did for the Everton game), Anguissa didnt either which meant we were tight in the middle and had to do it themselves. Runs create space and either take a defender or the pass is on we didnt have those.

A lot of that was down to palace and their setup, as RH said after we tried to not allow spaces as Fulham exploit them well we were pleased with how we were defensively. It was almost as if they were happy to get the point.

Whitesideup

Exactly right

Not sure. There were quite a few on here critical of Harrison Reed in the early part of the season. Most seem to have come round to the fact he is making a good contribution, even if some do so a bit grudgingly as admitting you were wrong is indeed very difficult.

For my part, I think he is much improved and doing ok, even well at times, but to be worthy of a place in a top premier league side has to be showing his quality in positions that really count .. which then leads to assists and goals. Maybe he can start in the next three games....

70sPimlico

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on March 01, 2021, 09:20:47 AM
I just don't get the constant slagging of RLC, the opposition don't like playing against him in general, for his build he has good movement and play the pivot between midfield and up front, he is not a striker.

Since he came into the team, the results and performances have looked up. I would trust Parker on this.

I actually despise the constant digging of any player, when it is always from one or two posters.
Me too mate

ALG01

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 01, 2021, 08:08:21 AM
Quote from: perry geyton on March 01, 2021, 07:14:53 AM

Exactly right

He has scored one goal.

Actually it was a poor shot that deflected over the keeper that would otherwise have comfortably had it.

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on March 01, 2021, 12:34:55 PM
There were quite a few on here critical of Harrison Reed in the early part of the season. Most seem to have come round to the fact he is making a good contribution, even if some do so a bit grudgingly as admitting you were wrong is indeed very difficult. .

As one of the "grudgingly admitting we were wrong" crew, can I throw out there the wild idea that maybe he has just raised his performance levels in the last 6 months. He's been given regular starts in a clearly defined role that plays to his strengths - sitting very deep, shielding the back five, and allowing Anguissa to roam further forward. He's playing with confidence and determination. Well done to him.

Alrernatively, can all those who were signing 'Mitro's on fire' in the 17/18 promotion campaign, or praising Hector last season, please admit they were wrong to do so because both these players have clearly not performed as well this season

086.gif