Sheff Utd
0-2
Liverpool

WhiteJC

Jack and Loz Not at the Cottage - Blog 169

Date: 28th February 2021

Opposition: Crystal Palace

Score: 0-0

MOTM: he did it again: our tireless, fearless Duracell bunny, complete with copper top. It was yet another flawless performance from Harrison Reed both on and off the ball. Shout outs to Andersen (as usual!) who showed the attacking side of his game and Cav for impact and endeavour

Lunch: Loz - toasted cheese and tomato bagel; Jack - carrot and parsnip soup

Fulham's goalless draw with Crystal Palace can be summed up by the words of Status Quo:

"Under orders, better shoot on sight.

Fingers on the trigger but it don't seem right....."

In an unfortunate coincidence, the goalless draw also preserved the status quo of the gap between 18th and 17th places in the Premier League table.

This was a match on many levels: old v new, eagles v Super Eagles, Former England Manager v Former England Captain, and the last man to lead Fulham to a Great Escape v (possibly) the next man to do so.

Of course, we know Roy Hodgson well and we know how he sets up his teams : not to lose. And we know someone else who sets up a team like that so this was never going to be a 6 goal thriller. Instead, the first half was a cagey, scrappy affair with lots of free kicks, lots of passing it around at the back, lots of organisation and not much creativity. The Fulham press was impressive, as was our work rate (particularly Reed and Lookman) and our defence.

Up front though, we started as we meant to go on - under orders to shoot on sight but too nice to direct our shots into the goal. The second half was livelier, more determined and more one-sided. Fulham dominated but couldn't break through the Hodgson Back Line. Everyone tried - Andersen (who seemed to be playing as a midfielder for a lot of the match), Tosin with one of his close but not close enough headers, Ruben From-Range, Lookman wide and Cav wider. Maja had the best chance but Palace's goal keeper - who had come dressed as a fondant fancy - pulled off a world class save.

We liked Scott's attacking subs - having started the game with caution he became braver in the second half and the team became better. But not quite good enough. It was great to have Mitro back and even if he's lost some condition, he's lost none of his passion. Taking Frank off left a gap in midfield which Maja tried to fill less than effectively but we still looked by far the more dangerous team, the team which was still trying to win in additional time.

This is a valuable point but a disappointing one. Like West Ham, Palace were there for the taking and we weren't clinical enough to take advantage. It's the usual story - tremendous at the back, effective in the middle but erratic upfront. But, while disappointed, we are not disheartened - we are creating chances and some of them will turn into goals; this team is now ridiculously hard to beat; momentum continues to gather (8 points from 4 games) and, most of all, every game we see the team graft and fight and believe.

Random musings:-

- the white shorts looked smart....

- ....and now the world knows what Mitro wears under them

- the ref had a very good game (as the commentators constantly reminded us)

- Scott was almost literally the 12th man - practically taking a quick throw-in himself

- it was great to see Roy and Ray. Let's hope Roy gave Scott a few survival tips in their little post match chat

Back to Status Quo and whilst the gap to Newcastle stays the same we have both gained points on Brighton and Burnley. 3 points off with over a quarter of the season left, an almost fully fit team and form on our side feels precarious but manageable.

Now we're going into a harder run of games but with confidence and positivity. Top 6? Bring them on! Scott Parker believes we can stay up, and so does Roy Hodgson.

https://werdsmith.com/p/ETZFt2GrgseQ5

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace 0-0 Fulham: Scott Parker's side left to rue dominant performance against Eagles as they are held to a goalless draw... leaving them three points adrift of safety

Scott Parker will feel this was a missed opportunity for his Fulham side
    They at times had Crystal Palace hanging on but just couldn't find the net
    Fulham remain 18th, three points below relegation rivals Newcastle
    Up next, it's Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City for the Cottagers

Fulham have the momentum in the relegation battle and, in their position, a point and clean sheet away from home are not to be sniffed at.

Still, it was hard to shake the sense this was a missed opportunity after what had gone during the 90 minutes and with what is to come.

Fulham came to Selhurst Park, totally dominated and at times had Crystal Palace hanging on.

Fulham were the better team throughout against Crystal Palace but couldn't find the winner

Eagles centre half Gary Cahill made a brave last-ditch block to deny Dane Joachim Andersen

Fulham striker Josh Maja went close with a header but it was superbly saved by Vicente Guaita

Scott Parker (centre) will be disappointed not to have taken all three points from the match

MATCH FACTS/PLAYER RATINGS

Crystal Palace (4-3-3): Guaita 7.5; Ward 6, Kouyate 7, Cahill 7.5, van Aanholt 7; Riedewald 7, Milivojevic 7, Eze 6.5 (McCarthy 79, 6); Ayew 6, Benteke 7, Townsend 6.5.

Substitutes not used: Butland (GK); Kelly, Dann, Mitchell, Hannam, Mateta, Batshuayi.

Yellow cards: Milivojevic 55.

Manager: Roy Hodgson 6.6

Fulham (4-2-3-1): Areola 6; Tete 7, Andersen 8, Adarabioyo 7, Aina 7 (Robinson 46, 6); Reed 8, Zambo Anguissa 6.5 (Mitrovic 73, 6); Decordova-Reid 6 (Cavaleiro 66, 6.5), Loftus-Cheek 6, Lookman 7; Maja 6.5.

Substitutes not used: Fabri (GK); Kongolo, Ream, Bryan, Lemina, Onomah.

Yellow cards: Robinson 82.

Manager: Scott Parker 6.5.

Referee: Anthony Taylor 6.5.

Man of the match: Reed. 

Yet their reward for the efforts was just a goalless stalemate as they failed to drag Brighton and Newcastle above them as close to danger as they could have.

Yes, every little helps but sometimes all three points are required.

This was one such occasion, partly because of just how much control Fulham enjoyed and the number of chances created. They really should have taken at least one of them and cut the gap to safety to just one point.

But also because with Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City next up, things are unlikely to get much easier for third-bottom Fulham.

Scott Parker admitted this was 'a missed opportunity' but, overall, preferred to accentuate the positive.

The first period passed without incident, with both defences holding firm in the 0-0 stalemate

Crystal Palace captain Luka Milivojevic deservedly received a yellow card for this poor tackle

He said: 'Momentum is firmly with us. Of the last 16, 17 games we're probably lost three games.

'We have unbelievable quality in that [attacking] sense here. It's now about trying to get that to click in key moments. I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating chances.'

There was encouragement from his opposite number Roy Hodgson too, who masterminded Fulham's Great Escape in 2008.

'Absolutely,' he said emphatically when asked if his old club, who are now five unbeaten, can stay up.

Roy Hodgson believes his former club Fulham can stay in the Premier League

Against his former England manager, Parker's side showed why they can be hopeful of avoiding the drop but also why there are no guarantees they will be able to exploit the wobbles of the nearest rivals.

They confidently bossed proceedings in the fashion of an established Premier League side and prevented Palace having a single attempt on target, Alphonse Areola only briefly threatened by a miskick by his own team-mate Joachim Andersen.

Their lack of cutting edge, an issue for much of the season, stopped them getting what they fully deserved once again though.

Defender Andersen, who turned out to be one of Fulham's biggest threats, was off target with two first-half headers, a second half free-kick, fired another long-range effort straight at Vicente Guaita and was denied by a brilliant last-ditch Gary Cahill block.

It was another toothless display in attack from Hodgson's side on Sunday afternoon

His centre-back partner Tosin Adarabioyo headed at Guaita too and Josh Maja fired two efforts off target either side of seeing his close range header brilliantly kept out by a reflex save from Palace's goalkeeper.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek blasted a spectacular volley off target and, at the death, Ademola Lookman met the impressive Harrison Reed's cross but also got his contact just wrong, sending the ball inches past the far post.

In contrast to Fulham, Palace struggled badly to create chances again though this time there was no late drama, like Christian Benteke's injury-time winner at Brighton, to mask the issue.

Palace's approach led to questions about their lack of ambition but Hodgson countered: 'When it wasn't happening [for us], we had to make certain the weapons we had at our disposal were also brought to bear and the major weapon we had was the defensive shape and defensive organisation and desire of the players to make certain if we weren't going to win the game, we weren't going to lose it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9309103/Crystal-Palace-0-0-Fulham-Scott-Parkers-three-points-Premier-League-safety-draw.html

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace v Fulham

Fulham midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek said the Cottagers "don't feel like losing at all" after producing another dominant, yet profligate, display in Sunday's goalless draw at Crystal Palace.

Scott Parker's side created by far the better opportunities at Selhurst Park but failed to earn a win which would have closed the gap on fellow Premier League strugglers Newcastle and Brighton to one point.

"It's kind of the story of our season," said Loftus-Cheek. "We're playing well and dominating games but can't see it off."

The visitors came to life after a poor first half, Josh Maja curling narrowly wide from the edge of the penalty area before forcing Vicente Guaita into a one-handed save with a header from Ivan Cavaleiro's delivery.

Joachim Andersen had a header blocked and Loftus-Cheek also went close, drilling a powerful effort wide of Guaita's left-hand post.

"We said before the game they are a team who sit deep and defend well," added the Chelsea loanee. "We said we needed to take our chances but we couldn't.

"We are diligent in our defensive work and hard to break down. We don't fear conceding goals, it's just outscoring teams that we want to improve."

Palace were virtually non-existent as an attacking force, registering just three attempts and failing to test Alphonse Areola in the Fulham goal.

The draw lifts the Cottagers to 23 points - three behind 17th-placed Newcastle - while the Eagles are 10 points above the relegation zone in 13th.

Joachim Andersen went close for Fulham on several occasions but failed to find a way past Crystal Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita

Missed opportunity for Fulham
Fulham arrived at Selhurst Park with the wind firmly in their sails, having reduced the gap on Newcastle from 10 points to just three going into this weekend's round of fixtures.

The Magpies' 1-1 draw with Wolves, coupled with Brighton's 1-0 reverse at West Brom, opened the door for Fulham to pile even more pressure on the two teams directly above them but, not for the first time this season, they failed to make the most of several promising opportunities.

Parker's team pressed their opponents relentlessly and enjoyed the majority of possession in the early stages, but the closest they came to a first-half opener was when Andersen headed Ademola Lookman's free-kick over the crossbar.

The visitors mustered 14 efforts in the second half alone as they laid siege to the Palace goal, but a combination of wayward finishing, last-ditch defending and good goalkeeping from Guaita kept the Cottagers at bay.

Maja signalled Fulham's intent after half-time with a speculative long-range effort that flew straight into Guaita's arms, but the 22-year-old will be disappointed not to have converted one of two golden opportunities later in the half.

The Bordeaux loanee failed to hit the target after cutting on to his left foot on the edge of the area before being denied by a strong left-handed save by the Palace goalkeeper.

Andersen, Loftus-Cheek and Cavaleiro all went close for Fulham, but there was no way through for Parker's side.

"There were some big chances today," said the Fulham boss, whose side face Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City in their next three games. "It was probably always going to be a 1-0 game and we did everything in our power to win it.

"We will win games if we play like that. Today we fell a little bit short but performance-wise we were there.

"I personally believe we can give anyone a game in this division. There's still a long way to go."

Toothless Palace lack spark
Palace were accused of committing "a robbery" against rivals Brighton last Monday, when Christian Benteke sealed a late smash-and-grab victory with only their second effort on target.

The Eagles almost enjoyed another slice of luck here when Andros Townsend's teasing cross was flicked towards his own goal by Andersen, but Areola was alert to the danger.

That was the closest Roy Hodgson's side went to getting on the scoresheet.

Benteke - restored to the starting line-up after scoring that late winner at Amex Stadium - cut an isolated figure in attack, despite the support of Eberechi Eze in a central role behind the Belgium striker.

Hodgson will be desperate to have Wilfried Zaha back to face former club Manchester United on Wednesday. The Ivory Coast forward has missed the past three games with a muscle injury but recently returned to first-team training.

"We have a lot of players to come back into the team," said Hodgson, who was also without James McArthur, Mamadou Sakho, Jeffrey Schlupp, James Tomkins and Nathaniel Clyne against the Cottagers.

"I know we have a lot more strings to our bow than we have perhaps been able to show in the last few games. We have our own stars that will be back in the team and can ask a lot of questions."

Cottagers extend unbeaten away run - the stats
    Crystal Palace have picked up four points from their past two Premier League games (W1 D1) despite having just six shots and facing 41.
    Fulham are unbeaten in their past seven Premier League games on the road (W1 D6), their longest such run without defeat away from home in the competition.
    Fulham are now winless in their past 21 London derby matches in the Premier League (D4 L17), with only Crystal Palace between 1969 and 1973 suffering a longer such winless run in top-flight history.
    After only one of Fulham's first 21 Premier League games under Scott Parker ended level, they have since drawn 10 of their past 15 league matches (W2 L3).
    Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson remains unbeaten during his managerial career against Fulham (W3 D4).
    During February, Crystal Palace managed just 33 attempts in their five matches - this is the lowest number of shots recorded by a team in a single Premier League month of at least five games since the start of the 2003-04 campaign.

'I can't praise the players enough' - what they said
Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson: "I'm very satisfied. Fulham are playing very well and are a good team. We knew we would be under pressure for large parts of the game.

"We are realists. I still think we can do more with the ball sometimes but that's dependent on the opposition as well. They don't give you a lot of time on the ball but the way we dug in is very commendable.

"I can't praise the players enough for the work-rate."

Fulham manager Scott Parker: "In the first half we didn't really assert ourselves and lacked a threat. We changed that at half-time.

"Positionally we changed it in attack a little bit. We cut through the lines and put people in positions in the second half. Of course we wanted three points, but we got one.

"I was very pleased defensively. We saw in their last game against Brighton that Palace are always in games. We nullified that very well. The missing part was of course the goal."

What's next?
Crystal Palace host Manchester United on Wednesday, 3 March (20:15 GMT), before Fulham welcome Tottenham Hotspur to Craven Cottage the following evening (18:00).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56143446

WhiteJC

Post-Palace Press Conference

Scott Parker was largely full of praise for his team after picking up another point on the road at Selhurst Park.

Giving his overall assessment of the contest, Parker said: "With the opportunities we've created we fully deserved to win the game, and we fell a bit short there.

"Defensively I think we were very good. Playing against a team in Crystal Palace who are very well organised and sit off you've got to jab and probe your way at times.

"First half we didn't do that well enough and then second half we changed it positionally and created some big chances to win the game.

"Of course, there's partly disappointment but in saying that it's a clean sheet, I don't think we conceded a shot on goal.

"I realise in my position that when you perform like today, the law of averages tells you that if you play that game 10 times you win it more than you lose or draw, so there's a mixture of emotions.

"We move on now, it's a big point for us and that's the way we look at it and we keep moving."

A flurry of decent chances came in a few second-half minutes for Fulham, and our boss knows that perhaps we could've profited.

"I always knew the game would probably be decided on one goal," Parker explained. "When we were in the ascendancy and had those moments where we had them on the ropes, we probably needed one of them to go in."

The confidence and belief has been a solid constant from Parker and his men, and this is something he was keen to reinforce further with an honest insight into how his attacking talisman are getting on.

"I see these players every day and I'm confident with what I see," he confirmed. "I see the attacking players coming in everyday, trying to improve and trying to get better.

"If there's one thing you can maybe aim at us is that we've not managed to kill off games in certain situations.

"But I always say it's a young team. This is a team that are around the Premier League for the first time.

"What I constantly want from my team and my group of players is a real honestly that we keep trying to improve and get better.

"Life tells me, and my experience tells me, that if you do that things change.

"We've got unbelievable quality here in that sense, I see it. It's now trying to get that to click at the key moments when we're playing matches.

"This is a team that are on the front foot, aggressive, want to win games, and are dynamic in those moments.

"Like any team, certainly those that have just been promoted, we're constantly working on the next thing. That thing now is can we be more clinical and take the moments."

With a tricky trio of fixtures on the horizon, Parker stated his big believe in his side to bolster their tally regardless.

"I see points coming from the next game," Parker stated. "Like I keep saying I believe in this team, the team believes as well.

"I believe we can beat Spurs. We can cause them problems and go into it trying to win the game.

"Of course, I understand the challenges – that's the Premier League.

"Every game in this division is tough, and of course we understand that some fixtures coming up are tougher than others, but I think we've shown over the period of the last 17 games that we can compete against any team in this division so I'm hoping that's not going to be any different in the fixtures coming up.

"We'll recoup now and prepare for another tough game against Spurs and try and win that."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/february/Post-Palace-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Report: Defensive resolve secures Palace point from driven Fulham

Crystal Palace 0-0 Fulham

Crystal Palace hosted Fulham at perhaps their most dangerous point this season, with the Cottagers demonstrating the fight that may save their season all afternoon at Selhurst Park. Ultimately, another gritty defensive display earned Palace a point after a challenging second-half.
Summary

Roy Hodgson makes two changes to his lineup, starting Patrick van Aanholt and Christian Benteke
    The game opens at a steady pace, with both sides patient in their approach
    Palace and Fulham create half-chances through Christian Benteke and Andros Townsend and Joachim Andersen respectively
    Half-time: Crystal Palace 0-0 Fulham
    Fulham open the second-half as the brighter side, landing regular but tame shots on target
    Josh Maja enjoys a series of chances, his best denied instinctively by Vicente Guaita
    Palace regain their foothold for the final 10 minutes, pushing Fulham back to fight fire with fire
    Full-time: Crystal Palace 0-0 Fulham

The game began at an even tempo, with each side steadily settling in. It wasn't until the ninth minute that Palace showcased the turn of pace which has caught so many sides off-guard in recent seasons as Jordan Ayew chipped into the box for Christian Benteke.

The Belgium international opted to chest the ball down and ultimately allowed Tosin Adarabioyo to dispossess him, but the Eagles had flexed their attacking muscles with clear enough intent.

The Cottagers were alert, however, demonstrating the defensive drive and discipline which has made them so difficult to break-down of late. In the image of manager Scott Parker, the visitors played relentlessly – closing their hosts and frustrating them with urgent, sometimes overzealous, challenges.

Pre-match, Hodgson said "[Fulham's] play is going to be a lot better than their table position suggests," and so the first 20 minutes proved. This understanding of Fulham's ability – an 18th-place position belying eight points from four games – enabled the Eagles to play with patience and vision, maintaining their cool in the face of limited opportunity.

This approach almost paid dividends as the game neared its 30th minute, Andros Townsend cutting inside and crossing well before Joachim Andersen inadvertently tipped the ball into Alphonse Areola's gloves.

The Danish defender was involved at the heart of the action at the opposite end of the pitch, too, heading past the woodwork from consecutive corners.

But as the half-time whistle neared, neither side could reflect on any major chances during the break – each team knew breaking the other down just once would likely prove crucial in the second 45.

On-loan frontman Josh Maja appeared resolved to land this breakthrough as he tried to catch Vicente Guaita off-guard from 30 yards minutes into the second-half, but the 22-year-old's effort didn't trouble the Spaniard at all.

Adarabioyo then joined his teammate in tamely engaging Guaita but again the shot stopper comfortably held the ball as the defender flicked a header goal-bound.

The half-time message from Parker appeared to demand Fulham tested their hosts with greater frequency and the Whites managed just that: Andersen shooting wide from a distant free-kick, Ademola Lookman flashing the ball across goal and Loftus-Cheek hitting low to Guaita's right.

The Eagles regained their foothold somewhat after Fulham's early flurry and Townsend whipped a dangerous free-kick through the box. Re-launching the visitors' drive, Maja struck inches wide from the edge of the box before Guaita made a sensational save to deny him from far closer.

Their guests fighting with the wind in their sails, Palace's entire backline showed its desire and passion as they weathered a Fulham storm; Gary Cahill denying Andersen with a perfectly-timed lunge and Guaita flying behind inaccurate shots to ensure his net remained untroubled.

This clash of determined sides – one to ensure survival and one to ensure parity – resulted in a gritty battle between well-matched players, Palace as hungry to guard their backline as Fulham were to penetrate it.

The home side then turned their attacking pressure on almost in an instant, pinning Fulham around their own box for swathes of the final 10 minutes.

Sustaining some of their earlier attacking threat, Fulham again narrowly struck wide through Adarabioyo as remaining minutes turned to seconds.

Ultimately, the full-time whistle handed both teams a point: Fulham deserving through their testing second-half surge and the Eagles by their defensive grit.

Palace: Guaita, Van Aanholt, Cahill, Kouyate, Ward, Riedewald, Milivojevic, Eze (McCarthy 79), Townsend, Ayew, Benteke.

Subs not used: Butland, Dann, Kelly, Hannam, McCarthy, Mateta, Batshuayi.

Fulham: Areola, Tete, Andersen, Aina (Robinson 45), Adarabioyo, Reed, Decordova-Reid (Cavaleiro 66), Anguissa (Mitrovic 73), Loftus-Cheek, Lookman, Maja.

Subs not used: Fabri, Ream, Lemina, Bryan, Onomah, Kongolo.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2021/february/match-report-crystal-palace-v-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham dominate Palace but settle for point in Selhurst Park stalemate

Fulham extended their unbeaten run in the Premier League to five matches but were left to reflect on what might have been after a 0-0 stalemate at Crystal Palace.

The visitors created the better opportunities at Selhurst Park, with the majority falling to centre-back Joachim Andersen. But Josh Maja was brilliantly denied by Vicente Guaita from close range in the second half.

It ensured the spoils were shared in Roy Hodgson's 150th match in charge of Palace following a poor-quality encounter. This point for Fulham moved them within three of relegation rivals Newcastle and Brighton while the Eagles remain in 13th.

Both teams, fresh from vital wins last time out, lined up in 4-2-3-1 formations and the game became cagey. Hodgson decided to play Christian Benteke from the off.

And it was the Belgian's presence which helped create an early half chance for Luka Milivojevic – but his effort was blocked.

Opportunities were few and far between for the majority of the opening half an hour. However, Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola was forced into action after 27 minutes.

He had to save Andersen's sliced clearance from an Andros Townsend cross. Whites stand-in captain Andersen was involved again five minutes later.

This time at the other end of the pitch and he was left frustrated after heading Ademola Lookman's corner wide.

Scott Parker, up against his former international boss, saw the defender squander another chance soon after from a free kick. Set-pieces appeared the best method to break the deadlock in south London.

Maja stars in dreary encounter
Fulham made a change during the interval with Antonee Robinson introduced in place of Ola Aina. And just 42 seconds into the half Maja produced the first shot on target.

The speculative effort from 40 yards was routine for Palace's goalkeeper, but he was forced into action twice more. The Spaniard dealt with efforts by Tosin Adarbioyo and Andersen during the early stages of the second period.

The visitors were showing more ambition and Ruben Loftus-Cheek saw a weak shot easily saved by Guaita. Maja's influence was growing for the away side and after he fired wide from the edge of the area, he went even closer in the 68th minute.

Substitute Ivan Cavaleiro's first involvement was to pick out the January recruit with a cross into the area. But Maja's close-range header was brilliantly tipped wide by Guaita.

Gary Cahill ensured Palace's Spanish goalkeeper was not required a minute later after he bravely blocked Andersen's latest effort.

Parker's final roll of the dice involved skipper Aleksandar Mitrovic coming on. But Lookman and Maja sent efforts wide to ensure it finished goalless.

Hodgson will be disappointed that the hosts failed to have a single shot on target.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/fulham-dominate-palace-point-selhurst-park-stalemate

WhiteJC

Huge sigh of relief for NUFC as Fulham fail to capitalise in crucial clash at Crystal Palace

A lucky escape for Newcastle United on Sunday afternoon, with Fulham spurning a host of missed chances in a frustrating 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace.

A win would've moved the Cottagers just a point behind us, however the gap has stayed at three ahead of their upcoming games against Tottenham, Liverpool and Man City – making this a big missed opportunity for Scott Parker's side.

This comes after last night's 1-1 draw with Wolves left us momentarily four points clear of the drop zone – a result that felt like two points dropped based on some of the big chances missed and injuries to key players Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin.

After Fulham's result in today's early kick off, the Premier League table looks as follows ahead of Burnley's trip to Spurs (2pm):

Although it still feels like two points dropped for us last night, the fact Fulham failed to better our result and narrow the gap against a truly awful Palace side feels like a lucky escape in the end.

After all, they now play Tottenham, Liverpool and Man City in their next three – meanwhile we face West Brom, Aston Villa and Brighton in that time.

It's horrible to watch and makes you wish we'd beaten Wolves last night, but Fulham could've easily won this one on another day...

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/02/28/huge-sigh-of-relief-for-nufc-as-fulham-fail-to-capitalise-in-crucial-clash-at-crystal-palace/

WhiteJC

Fulham draw to close Premier League gap on Albion

Albion are three points clear of the relegation zone after Fulham were held today.

The Cottagers, who are now unbeaten in five games, had the better of their game at Crystal Palace but drew 0-0.

They went close to a winner midway through the second half when Josh Maja was denied by Vicente Guaita from close range.

Fulham boss Scott Parker said: "We had some big chances."

Parker's side move to 23 points and are four behind Albion in the goal difference column.

They remain 18th but will climb out of the drop zone and above Newcastle if they beat Tottenham at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

Albion host Leicester on Saturday.

Newcastle go to West Brom at midday on Sunday, followed immediately by Fulham's game at Liverpool.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19124535.fulham-draw-close-premier-league-gap-albion/

WhiteJC

Fulham stretch unbeaten run to five games with goalless draw at Crystal Palace

Joachim Andersen had the best of Fulham's chances in their goalless draw with Crystal Palace (Andrew Boyers/PA)

Fulham extended their unbeaten run in the Premier League to five matches but were left to reflect on what might have been after the 0-0 stalemate at Crystal Palace.

The visitors created the better opportunities at Selhurst Park with the majority falling to centre-back Joachim Andersen, although Josh Maja was brilliantly denied by Vicente Guaita from close range in the second half.

It ensured the spoils were shared in Roy Hodgson's 150th match in charge of Palace following an encounter which lacked quality.

This point for Fulham moved them within three of relegation rivals Newcastle and Brighton while the Eagles remain in 13th position.

Both teams, fresh from vital wins last time out, lined up in 4-2-3-1 formations and following a frantic start, the game became more cagey.

Hodgson decided to play Christian Benteke from the off and it was the Belgian's presence which helped create an early half chance for Luka Milivojevic – but his effort was blocked.

Opportunities were few and far between for the majority of the opening half an hour but Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola was forced into action after 27 minutes when he had to save Andersen's sliced clearance from an Andros Townsend cross.

Whites stand-in captain Andersen was involved again five minutes later. This time at the other end of the pitch and he was left frustrated after heading Ademola Lookman's corner wide from a promising position.

Scott Parker, up against his former international boss, saw the defender squander another chance soon after from a free kick with set-pieces appearing the best method to break the deadlock in south London.

Fulham made a change during the interval with Antonee Robinson introduced in place of Ola Aina and 42 seconds into the half Maja produced the first shot on target.

The speculative effort from 40 yards was routine for Palace's goalkeeper, but he was forced into action twice more following efforts by Tosin Adarbioyo and Andersen during the early stages of the second period.

The visitors were showing more ambition and Ruben Loftus-Cheek saw a weak shot easily saved by Guaita against his former loan club.

Maja's influence was growing for the away side and after he fired wide from the edge of the area, he went even closer in the 68th minute.

Substitute Ivan Cavaleiro's first involvement was to pick out the January recruit with a cross into the area but Maja's close-range header was brilliantly tipped wide by Guaita.

Gary Cahill ensured Palace's Spanish goalkeeper was not required a minute later after he bravely blocked Andersen's latest effort.

Parker's final roll of the dice involved skipper Aleksandar Mitrovic coming on but Lookman and Maja sent efforts wide to ensure it finished goalless with the hosts failing to have a single shot on target.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40235099.html

WhiteJC

Fulham frustrated by missed chances in goalless draw at Crystal Palace

Joachim Andersen of Fulham wins a header during the Premier League match against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park. Photograph: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

If Fulham end up being relegated this season, Scott Parker may well look back at this match as the one that got away. Another strong performance that stretched their unbeaten run to five matches and moved them another point closer to potential safety should really have resulted in Parker's side claiming a crucial victory had it not been for some wasteful finishing.

Yet this Crystal Palace team is, like their manager, nothing but obdurate and another masterful display of team organisation means an eighth successive season in the Premier League is almost assured already.

"We showed a real desire not to lose," said Roy Hodgson.

The 73-year-old had joked beforehand that Fulham will need to find space for a statue of Parker at Craven Cottage if he was to achieve the impossible and keep them up. But having looked doomed a few weeks ago, Fulham's improvement under their 40-year-old manager has suddenly given supporters genuine hope that they could pull off a similar escape to the one Hodgson and his assistant Ray Lewington masterminded in 2008.

Key to their progress has been fixing one of the division's leakiest defences, with only Manchester City having conceded less goals since mid-December thanks in large part to the performances of the captain, Joachim Andersen. The Denmark international – who is on a season-long loan from Lyon – made his first appearance for Fulham a week after their meek home defeat to Palace at the end of October and has emerged a real leader of this young side.

Given what was at stake, it was no surprise to see the visitors on the front foot from the first whistle, with Palace happy to reprise the role they played in the smash and grab victory over bitter rivals Brighton on Monday and allow their opponents to dominate possession. With Wilfried Zaha still not fit enough to feature despite returning to training this week, Christian Benteke was recalled after his late wonder goal but found touches of the ball hard to come by as Fulham dominated possession without creating anything of note.

The Belgium striker's first sight of goal came in the 27th minute when a cross from Andros Townsend just eluded him after a sliced clearance from Andersen that was gratefully collected by the Fulham goalkeeper, Alphonse Areola. Two Andersen headers from Ademola Lookman's precise set-piece deliveries that sailed well off target were at least signals of intent from Fulham as half-time approached, although the defender probably should have done better with both.
Advertisement

Parker's experiment with Ola Aina at left-back proved short-lived as Antonee Robinson replaced him at the break and immediately gave Fulham's formation better balance. Lookman – who was wanted by Palace when he was at Charlton but eventually opted to join Everton instead – looked particularly lively and almost created the breakthrough with another excellent free-kick, only for Tosin Adarabioyo to head straight at visiting goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.

Such is Andersen's status in this side that when Ruben Loftus-Cheek was scythed down 30 yards out by Luka Milivojevic, it was the defender who stepped up to strike the free-kick just a couple of yards wide. Palace's best chance of scoring also seemed to be from a set piece and Cheikhou Kouyaté was close to meeting Townsend's dangerous free-kick before Josh Maja's effort at the other end went just wide of Guaita's post following a delightful flick from Loftus-Cheek.

Ivan Cavaleiro's first involvement after coming off the bench was to pick out Maja – another former Palace transfer target – inside the six-yard box but somehow Guaita was equal to his header. Gary Cahill was next to come to Palace's rescue when the former England defender threw himself in front of Andersen's shot from close range following a corner.

It felt like only a matter of time until Fulham finally scored and the arrival of Aleksandar Mitrovic from the bench with 17 minutes still remaining meant Parker had put everything on the table. Lookman and Maja were both guilty of missing chances late on but they were forced to settle for a share of the spoils instead. How costly that will be remains to be seen but with fixtures against Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City up next, things certainly won't get any easier. "Momentum is certainly with us and we have shown we can compete against any team in this division," said Parker.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/28/crystal-palace-fulham-premier-league-match-report-football

WhiteJC

Stalemate at Palace as Fulham draw yet again

Fulham remain three points adrift of Premier League safety after being held to their 12th draw of the season.

In a dour game devoid of any real drama, the Whites, who were the better side, fashioned the best chance of the match midway through the second half when Josh Maja's flashing header was superbly tipped round the post by Palace keeper Vincent Guaita.

Ademola Lookman also had a good opportunity to secure a crucial win when he ghosted into the box to meet a teasing cross from Ivan Cavaleiro, who impressed after coming in the second half, but he side-footed wide.

A cagey first half saw neither goalkeeper tested, with Joachim Andersen squandering Fulham's only opportunity when he headed over a Lookman corner when he really should have at least hit the target.

Once again the Whites defence looked solid, with Alphonse Areola untroubled for the whole 90 minutes and the impressive Harrison Reed in midfield comfortably containing the roaming threat of Ebere Eze.

Maja, who had been quiet, burst into life on 65 minutes when he turned Gary Cahill on the edge on the box, after being played in by Ruben Loftus-Cheek, but his effort just rolled past the post.

Minutes later the former Sunderland man almost opened the scoring when he met a magnificent Cavaleiro cross only for Guaita to dive full length to push the ball wide.

Scott Parker's side are in action again on Thursday at home to Tottenham.

Fulham: Areola, Tete, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Aina (Robinson 45), Reed, Anguissa (Mitrovic 73), Loftus-Cheek, Lookman, Decordova-Reid (Cavaleiro 63), Maja.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/stalemate-at-palace-as-fulham-draw-yet-again

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace vs Fulham result: Visitors' unbeaten run continues with goalless draw against Eagles

Palace 0-0 Fulham: Parker's visiting team narrowed the gap to relegation rivals Newcastle and Brighton

Neither Fulham nor Crystal Palace were able to find the net at Selhurst Park
(Getty Images)

Fulham extended their unbeaten run in the Premier League to five games but were left to ponder what might have been after a 0-0 stalemate at Crystal Palace on Sunday.

Scott Parker's side had the better chances at Selhurst Park, with the majority falling to centre-back Joachim Andersen, although Josh Maja was brilliantly denied by Vicente Guaita from close range in the second half.

It ensured the points were shared in Roy Hodgson's 150th match as Palace boss following a meeting that lacked genuine quality.

This point for Fulham moved them within three of relegation rivals Newcastle and Brighton, while the Eagles remain in 13th position.

Both teams, fresh from vital wins last time out, lined up in 4-2-3-1 formations and following a frantic start, the game became more cagey.

Hodgson decided to play Christian Benteke from the off and it was the Belgian's presence that helped create an early half chance for Luka Milivojevic – but his effort was blocked.

Opportunities were few and far between for the majority of the opening half an hour but Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola was forced into action after 27 minutes when he had to save Andersen's sliced clearance from an Andros Townsend cross.

Whites stand-in captain Andersen was involved again five minutes later. This time at the other end of the pitch and he was left frustrated after heading Ademola Lookman's corner wide from a promising position.

Scott Parker, up against his former international boss, saw the defender squander another chance soon after from a free kick with set-pieces appearing the best method to break the deadlock in south London.

Fulham made a change during the interval with Antonee Robinson introduced in place of Ola Aina and 42 seconds into the half Maja produced the first shot on target.

The speculative effort from 40 yards was routine for Palace's goalkeeper, but he was forced into action twice more following efforts by Tosin Adarbioyo and Andersen during the early stages of the second period.

The visitors were showing more ambition and Ruben Loftus-Cheek saw a weak shot easily saved by Guaita against his former loan club.

Maja's influence was growing for the away side and after he fired wide from the edge of the area, he went even closer in the 68th minute.

Substitute Ivan Cavaleiro's first involvement was to pick out the January recruit with a cross into the area but Maja's close-range header was brilliantly tipped wide by Guaita.

Parker's final roll of the dice involved skipper Aleksandar Mitrovic coming on but Lookman and Maja sent efforts wide to ensure it finished goalless with the hosts failing to have a single shot on target.

PA

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/crystal-palace/vs-fulham-result-highlights-analysis-b1808755.html

WhiteJC

Fulham fail to make their dominance pay

In many ways, this was the story of Fulham's season of struggle. Scott Parker's side dominated possession, created the clearer chances and yet couldn't find a winner against Crystal Palace this afternoon. You sense that Roy Hodgson – one of Fulham's finest ever managers – would have been the happier with a share of the spoils at full time and the Whites would be left to reflect on a missed opportunity to pile yet more pressure on their principle relegation rivals, Newcastle United and Brighton and Hove Albion.

Parker certainly couldn't be accused of settling for a point, throwing on Aleksandar Mitrovic to accompany Josh Maja up front for the final quarter of an hour but Fulham failed to make their superiority count on the scoreboard. Palace were workmanlike and resilient but, bar a late rally that threatened their second smash and grab raid of the week, the Eagles rarely tested Alphonse Areola in the visiting goal. A splendid save from Vicente Guaita denied Maja, who spurned a series of good opportunities in the second half, a winning goal on his return to Selhurst Park and Parker's attention will now turn to securing a surprise result against the likes of Tottenham, Liverpool or Manchester City in the coming weeks.

A turgid first half an hour was only enlivened by a couple of close shaves. Tosin Adarabioyo timed his intervention impeccably to deny Christian Benteke a sight of goal, whilst Joachim Andersen almost inadvertently turned a teasing cross from Andros Townsend beyond his own goalkeeper. Fulham's best openings came from set pieces with Joachim Andersen heading wide from a corner and then sending a free header over from Ademola Lookman's free kick.

Parker sent on Antonee Robinson to add a bit of adventure from left back and his side's willingness to test Guaita was on display from the first minute of the second period when Maja tried to chip Spanish goalkeeper from the halfway line. Another Lookman free-kick posed problems for the Palace defence but Guaita dealt easily enough with Adarabioyo's tame header before fielding a speculative strike from Andersen after the home side had struggled to clear another corner. The Danish defender went close from a 30-yard free-kick – his effort from distance, as well as perhaps the identity of the taker, surprising Guaita and flashing a yard wide.

Fulham were fully in control and Ruben Loftus-Cheek perhaps should have done better than bend a tame effort into Guaita's chest after Bobby Decordova-Reid had teed him up on the edge of the box. Maja, until then well marshalled by the experienced Gary Cahill and Cheick Kouyate at the heart of the Palace defence, then went as close as anyone to breaking the deadlock, spinning away from Kouyate and shooting just wide from the edge of the box.

Ivan Cavaleiro then almost had an immediate impact after being introduced as a substitute. The Portugese winger curled in a beautiful cross from the right, Maja rose majestically to head for goal and Guaita made a magnificent reaction save. Fulham probably should have gone in front from the ensuing corner, but Cahill made a brave block as Andersen appeared destined to score at the back post. Loftus-Cheek then lashed a drive just wide of goal after Cavaleiro had cushioned a high ball from Andersen superbly into the Chelsea loanee's path – and you got the feeling it just wasn't going to be Fulham's day.

Mitrovic replaced Anguissa as Fulham went for broke, but they momentarily lost their grip on the midfield battle as a dour, tense contest reached its closing stages. Benteke threatened from a Palace corner, climbing high to head across goal, and Hodgson's charges briefly perked up as an attacking threat but it was Fulham who finished far stronger. Lookman was guilty of snatching at a glorious chance when he was found by a wonderful cross from the excellent Harrison Reed, slashing his strike wastefully wide with Mitrovic crying out for a cross, and Fulham couldn't carve out a winner in the three minutes of stoppage time with another Adarabioyo header drifting frustratingly wide.

Parker's plucky side haven't lost any ground on their competitors at the foot of the table, but this was a big chance to take a giant leap towards safety missed. The consolations come in the form of another diligent defensive performance, rewarded with a ninth clean sheet of the season, and the continuation of an eight-match unbeaten away run, which represents Fulham's finest top flight sequence away from home in the club's history.

CRYSTAL PALACE (4-2-3-1): Guaita; Ward, van Aanholt, Kouyate, Cahill; Milivojevic, Riedwald; Eze (McCarthy 79); J. Ayew, Townsend; Benteke. Subs (not used): Butland, Dann, Mitchell, Kelly, Hannam Batshuayi, Mateta.

BOOKED: Milivojevic.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Areola; Tete, Aina (Robinson 45), Andersen, Adarabioyo; Reed, Anguissa (Mitrovic 73); Decordova-Reid (Cavaleiro 66), Lookman, Loftus-Cheek, Maja. Subs (not used): Fabri, Ream, Kongolo, Bryan, Lemina, Onomah.

BOOKED: Robinson.

REFEREE: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire).

VIDEO ASSISTANT REFEREE: Peter Bankes (Merseyside).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/02/fulham-fail-to-make-their-dominance-pay/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham Drop Two Points At Selhurst Park

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our initial reaction show to Fulham's 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/2/28/22305804/cottage-talk-full-time-fulham-drop-two-points-at-selhurst-park

WhiteJC

Scott Parker still confident Fulham strikers have quality to keep them up after Crystal Palace shutout

Scott Parker remains confident his strikers have the quality to fire Fulham out of the relegation zone.

The Cottagers missed the chance to close the gap to Newcastle and Brighton to just one point as they were held to a frustrating 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace.

Fulham dominated the game at Selhurst Park with 60 per cent of the ball and 16 shots, but not for the first time this season they were left to rue missed chances.

Parker, though, is confident they have enough firepower to climb out of the bottom three.

"I am confident because I see them every day," said Parker. "I see them coming in and trying to improve and get better.

"We've not managed in games to kill teams off but this is a young team, in the Premier League for the first time for many of them.
ADVERTISING

"We want to keep trying to improve and get better and my experience tells me if you keep doing that then things will get better. The numbers we produced today in terms of chances created were good, I'd be far more concerned if we weren't doing that."

Fulham now face a run of testing games - with Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City their next three. But Parker is not shying away from the challenge.

"I believe we can beat Spurs, we can cause them problems," he said. "I understand the challenges, that's the Premier League. We will regroup now and prepare for a tough game and try and win it."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/scott-parker-reaction-fulham-crystal-palace-b921548.html

WhiteJC

Parker confident despite Fulham's missed chances

Scott Parker lamented his side's missed opportunities in the second half of their 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace, but insisted their point at Selhurst Park was a good one.

Josh Maja had two decent chances to score and Ademola Lookman missed the target when free in the box in the second half as Fulham drew for the 12th time this season.

The Whites, who remain three points adrift of Premier League safety, face a daunting run of fixtures against Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City in their next three matches, but boss Parker said he believes they are good enough to stay up.

"I think you saw a team that came here to win the game and created opportunities but we fell a bit short today," Parker said.

"You have to jab and probe sometimes and I don't think we did that well enough in the first half and in the second half we changed it up, created some big chances, but it wasn't to be today.

"But I believe in this team and I am confident we can beat Tottenham on Thursday."

Parker substituted Ola Aina for Antoinee Robinson at half-time but said the decision was purely tactical and the former Chelsea man was not carrying an injury.

"I just thought we needed a little bit more down that right side and I thought it worked," he said.

"It was nothing to do with Ola but Antoinee just gave us that little bit more going forward."

Parker did reveal that back-up goalkeeper Marek Rodak could be facing time out after injuring a finger in training on Saturday.

"He is struggling and it is a bit too early to know where we are, he will see a specialist on Monday and we will have a clearer picture then," Parker said.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-confident-fulham-can-beat-tottenham-and-explains-aina-substitution

WhiteJC

Scott Parker likes what he sees from Fulham but knows an end product is needed
The Cottagers have struggled for goals all season.

Scott Parker is confident the goals will come for Fulham after they extended their unbeaten run in the Premier League to five games with a 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace.

It moved the Whites to within three points of Newcastle and Brighton but the visitors were left to reflect on what might have been in south London.

Third from bottom Fulham dominated possession and created the better chances at Selhurst Park and yet they have scored only four goals in their last six matches.

Parker insisted: "I see these players every day and I am confident in what I see. I see the attacking players coming in, trying to improve and get better.

"Of course in match situations and certainly games, the one thing you can aim at us is we have not managed at certain times to kill games off but it is a young team.

"A lot of these players are around the Premier League for the first time and what I constantly want from my group of players is a real honesty that we keep trying to improve and get better.

"Life tells me, and my experiences tell me, if you keep trying to do that, things change. We have unbelievable quality here, I see it and it is now trying to get that to click in the key moments."

Josh Maja almost broke the deadlock in the 68th minute but his close-range header was brilliantly tipped wide by Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.

The majority of Fulham's opportunities went to Joachim Andersen while the hosts failed to have a single shot on target. Without top goalscorer Wilfried Zaha, the Eagles struggled to create chances and another poor attacking showing led to #RoyOut trending on Twitter.

Palace manager Roy Hodgson, after his 150th match in charge of the club, said: "Our ambition was to attack and create lots of goal chances but unfortunately there are two teams on the field.

"They were very good, Fulham, at closing down and restricting our time and space and making certain the attacking moves and attacking options we were hoping to launch, weren't available to us.

"As a result, you have to play the games that's out there and before the game we certainly didn't set out to involve ourselves in a game where the opposition had as much of the ball as they did and were asking questions of us that they did.

"We set out to make it a very even game but credit to Fulham it didn't happen and when it wasn't happening, we had to make certain the weapons we had at our disposal were also brought to bear.

"The major weapon we had today was the defensive shape and defensive organisation and desire of the players to make certain if we weren't going to win the game, we weren't going to lose it."

Hodgson also aired his annoyance at Palace being forced to play again on Wednesday when Manchester United make the trip to Selhurst Park.

The clash was originally scheduled for March 21 but has been moved forward because the Red Devils are in FA Cup action.

"The Manchester United game thrust upon us is something we are pretty unhappy about, especially in this current state of affairs when we do have so many of our first-team players unavailable," Hodgson bemoaned.

"It is pretty tough to play Man United now and then get three weeks off when we don't need three weeks off. I would have much preferred if this game had stayed where it was."

Palace, who are without eight first-teamers including Zaha, remain 13th in the table.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/scott-parker-likes-what-he-sees-from-fulham-but-knows-an-end-product-is-needed-40141314.html

WhiteJC

Hodgson 'absolutely' believes Fulham can stay up

Former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has backed the Whites to win their fight for Premier League survival after holding his Crystal Palace team to a 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park.

Hodgson, who memorably led Fulham to the Europa League final in 2010, before departing for Liverpool, believes his ex-club, who are still three points off safety, have shown enough to suggest they can stay up.

"I absolutely think they can," Hodgson said.

"They would have liked the three points but this was an important point for them and takes them closer to the teams above them.

"They have introduced a number of quality players to this team and are on a good run – this is their eighth point from four games which is really top Premier League postitioning if you like.

"I fully expect them to make it difficult for the teams above and around them and I am delighted we have been able to keep the gap between us and them to 10 points.

"But I am also aware they are going to be creeping up behind us and we want to keep that gap we have to keep winning games ourselves."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/hodgson-absolutely-believes-fulham-can-stay-up

WhiteJC

Scott Parker buoyed by Fulham's performance in goalless draw with Crystal Palace and is 'confident' goals will come after his struggling side extended their unbeaten run to five games at Selhurst Park

Fulham dominated possession against Crystal Palace but could only draw 0-0
    They have gone five unbeaten in the Premier League but are struggling for goals
    Scott Parker believes his side can become more clinical and take their chances

Scott Parker is confident the goals will come for Fulham after they extended their unbeaten run in the Premier League to five games with a 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace.

It moved the Whites to within three points of Newcastle and Brighton but the visitors were left to reflect on what might have been in south London.

Third-from-bottom Fulham dominated possession and created the better chances at Selhurst Park and yet have scored only four goals in their last six matches.

Fulham boss Scott Parker backed his side to kill off games and make the most of their chances

Parker insisted: 'I see these players every day and I am confident in what I see. I see the attacking players coming in, trying to improve and get better.

'Of course in match situations and certainly games, the one thing you can aim at us is we have not managed at certain times to kill games off but it is a young team.

'A lot of these players are around the Premier League for the first time and what I constantly want from my group of players is a real honesty that we keep trying to improve and get better.

'Life tells me, and my experiences tell me, if you keep trying to do that, things change. We have unbelievable quality here, I see it and it is now trying to get that to click in the key moments.'

Parker talked up the potential to improve for his young attackers, including Josh Maja (right)

On-loan Bordeaux frontman Maja had several chances in the 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace

Josh Maja almost broke the deadlock in the 68th minute but his close-range header was brilliantly tipped wide by Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.

The majority of Fulham's opportunities went to Joachim Andersen while the hosts failed to have a single shot on target.

Without top goalscorer and chief creator Wilfried Zaha, the Eagles struggled to create chances and another poor attacking showing led to #RoyOut trending on Twitter.

Palace manager Roy Hodgson, after his 150th match in charge of the club, said: 'Our ambition was to attack and create lots of goal chances but unfortunately there are two teams on the field.

Centre half Joachim Andersen (left) saw his close-range shot brilliantly blocked by Gary Cahill

'They were very good, Fulham, at closing down and restricting our time and space and making certain the attacking moves and attacking options we were hoping to launch, weren't available to us.

'As a result, you have to play the games that's out there and before the game we certainly didn't set out to involve ourselves in a game where the opposition had as much of the ball as they did and were asking questions of us that they did.

'We set out to make it a very even game, but credit to Fulham, it didn't happen and when it wasn't happening, we had to make certain the weapons we had at our disposal were also brought to bear.

'The major weapon we had today was the defensive shape and defensive organisation and desire of the players to make certain if we weren't going to win the game, we weren't going to lose it.'

Eagles boss Roy Hodgson expressed frustration that his side have to play again on Wednesday

Hodgson also aired his annoyance at Palace being forced to play again on Wednesday when Manchester United make the trip to Selhurst Park.

The clash was originally scheduled for March 21 but has been moved forward because the Red Devils are in FA Cup action.

'The Manchester United game thrust upon us is something we are pretty unhappy about, especially in this current state of affairs when we do have so many of our first-team players unavailable,' Hodgson bemoaned.

'It is pretty tough to play Man United now and then get three weeks off when we don't need three weeks off. I would have much preferred if this game had stayed where it was.'

Palace, who are without eight first-teamers including Zaha, remain 13th in the table.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9309459/Scott-Parker-buoyed-Fulhams-performance-goalless-draw-Crystal-Palace.html