more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 03/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 03, 2021, 12:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Kevin McDonald: Fulham midfielder set for transplant after revealing career-long battle with kidney disease

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald has revealed that he has been battling a chronic kidney disease for the entirety of his career and is set to undergo a transplant next month.

The Scotland international has been battling kidney failure for around 14 years after a medical found issues at the age of 18. McDonald plans to recover and return to playing at a lower level, but is acting now to avoid having to be placed on dialysis.

McDonald has not featured for Fulham all season and has not started a game for the club since February last year in the Championship. The 32-year-old was expected to leave on loan having not been included in Scott Parker's squad for this season, but has now revealed why that did not happen.

In a candid interview with the club website, McDonald said: "I've been fighting a chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, ever since I started playing football.

"I've had it my whole career and been under the orders of the doctors throughout my whole career.

"I've had a lot of people asking why I am not playing or not going on loan.

"I've known I've needed a kidney transplant for nearly 12 years now. I've loved my whole career in football but at the same time, in the back of my mind, my health has always been my priority. Football is a game but we're talking about life threatening diseases.

"I've got one kidney that doesn't work at all and one kidney that's about 10 per cent now. I've been playing with stage 1, to now stage 5 kidney disease, which is chronic kidney disease, kidney failure."

McDonald has been building up his coaching experience with Fulham's Under-23s this season and would consider a coaching role in west London once he has recovered from the transplant. However, the midfielder still has a desire to continue playing.

"I want to go back and play, that is my aim," said McDonald. "I'm not going to go and play in the Premier League now, it is too fast for me - it probably always had been!"

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/kevin-mcdonald-fulham-fc-kidney-transplant-disease-battle-b921757.html

WhiteJC

Former Sheffield United midfielder Kevin McDonald facing kidney transplant after battling issues throughout his career
Kevin McDonald, the former Sheffield United midfielder, has revealed that he is set to undergo a kidney transplant next month after battling a chronic disease for his entire football career.

The midfielder, now at Fulham, has battled kidney failure since a medical uncovered issues when he was 18 years old. Now 32, he has given up hopes of playing in the Premier League but hopes to resume his career further down the football pyramid after the transplant.

McDonald last played for Fulham last year, in the Championship, and revealed: "I've been fighting a chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, ever since I started playing football.

"I've had it my whole career and been under the orders of the doctors throughout my whole career.

"I've had a lot of people asking why I am not playing or not going on loan.

"I've known I've needed a kidney transplant for nearly 12 years now. I've loved my whole career in football but at the same time, in the back of my mind, my health has always been my priority. Football is a game but we're talking about life threatening diseases.

"I've got one kidney that doesn't work at all and one kidney that's about 10 per cent now. I've been playing with stage one, to now stage five kidney disease, which is chronic kidney disease, kidney failure."

McDonald played for United between 2011 and 2013, before leaving to join Wolverhampton Wanderers when United were still in League One.

His absence in the 2012 play-off final was a big factor in United failing to gain promotion back to the Championship, and he also has five caps for the Scotland national team.

"I want to go back and play, that is my aim," added McDonald, who has been working in a coaching capacity with Fulham's U23s this season.

"I'm not going to go and play in the Premier League now. It is too fast for me... it probably always had been!

"The way my mind is now, I want it done, I want to get back to normal life. I take 10 tablets a day so I want to get back to normal life and hopefully it will soon be like that."

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/former-sheffield-united-midfielder-kevin-mcdonald-facing-kidney-transplant-after-battling-issues-throughout-his-career-3151265

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald to have kidney transplant

McDonald has also played for Dundee, Wolves, Burnley and Sheffield United

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald says he has chronic kidney disease and is due to have a transplant next month.

The 32-year-old Scot has lived with the condition for 12 years but it has deteriorated, and he accepts it may now end his career prematurely.

"Football has been great but this needs to take over," he told Fulham's website.

"I want to get it done now, make sure everything is right and come back from it and live a normal life again."

McDonald, who has been capped five times by Scotland, is hopeful of being able to continue playing professionally after the operation and a three-month recovery period, but while he has been sidelined with the condition this season he has been working with Fulham's Under-23 and Under-18 sides to develop his coaching skills.

"I'm 32 and I could probably play until I'm 35. The Premier League is probably too fast, but I know where I am in my career," he said.

"Will I want to play football? Will I be ready physically or mentally or do I go down the coaching route? I won't know until I get the operation done and see how I will feel."

McDonald joined Fulham from Wolves in 2016 and has made 128 appearances, but has not figured for the London club this season because of the illness, and has also turned down chances to move on loan.

His operation was due to take place this month but Covid-19 has meant a delay to all transplants. However, he hopes it will happen in April, with his brother and one of his best friends both preparing to donate a kidney.

"I've prepared my whole career knowing a transplant was the end goal," he said. "We wanted it to happen after football, but the way recent test results have gone, it's going to be quicker than that.

"I could hold on and have dialysis four times a week to finish my career but there comes a point when certain things just have to be done.

"There are so many benefits for me to have a living donor and I owe my life to them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56249895

WhiteJC

Fulham: Journalist discusses a potential return for Tom Cairney

Fulham journalist Guy Barlow has been sharing his thoughts on the possibility of Cottagers club captain Tom Cairney returning from a knee injury and potentially playing ahead of Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

This comes after Barlow recently made an appearance on The Athletic's Fulham-themed podcast Fulhamish where he spoke about a number of topics concerning the west London club.

On the subject of a potential return from injury for Cairney and whether or not he would play ahead of Ruben Loftus-Cheek in the Premier League before the end of the season, Barlow had this to say on the matter. (35.42)

He said: "In terms of Cairney's fitness, he might not be able to go back up and running straight away.

"There's no doubt that he is an incredibly creative player who could slides passes through to [Josh] Maja and we could be scoring for days. I just don't think that right now, there is justification for bringing Cairney straight back in."

Fulham signed Cairney back in 2015 from Championship side Blackburn Rovers for a fee of £3.78 million. Since then, the 30-year-old, who is currently valued at £8.1 million, has gone on to make 217 appearances for the club in which he has managed to score 37 goals and provide 28 assists along the way (per Transfermarkt).

TIF Thoughts on Guy Barlow's comments on Cairney and his return...

Given how Cairney hasn't featured for Fulham in the Premier League since December, it could be difficult for the Scotsman to get back to full speed in terms of his match fitness.

However, taking into account how the midfielder managed to earn himself a decent season rating of 6.84/10 for his performances in the early stages of the campaign, scoring one goal and providing one assist along the way, perhaps he could be a useful figure in their team to try and help them dodge relegation this season when he returns from his knee injury.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/03/blogs/premier-league/fulham-journalist-discusses-a-potential-return-for-tom-cairney/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kevin McDonald to have transplant after revealing long battle with kidney disease

The 32-year-old midfielder is set to undergo the procedure in the coming weeks

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald is to have a kidney transplant by the end of April.

The five-time Scotland international, 32, has suffered from a chronic disease for his entire adult life and the condition has gradually worsened.

One organ is not functioning and the other is working to about 10% of capacity meaning doctors have advised he needs the transplant as soon as possible.

Following months of speculation over why McDonald is not playing or did not go out on loan, he revealed his health problems in an interview on the club's official website.

"I've known I needed a transplant for 12 years now," he said. "It's always [put my career in perspective]. My health is my priority, as it should be for everyone. Football is a game and we're talking about life-threatening diseases. My priority is myself and family first - even more so now.

"We're hoping to get it done by the end of April. I've got kidney failure, that's it. There are certain reasons why I've not told anyone because clubs and business might not want to employ you but knowing my career is towards the end, I just want to get it over and done with now."

The condition was first picked up when he underwent a medical when joining Burnley from Dundee as an 18-year-old but the disease has progressed faster than anticipated.

He has recently been coaching in the Fulham academy and retains hope of a comeback despite accepting that the odds are against that happening.

"I've prepared my whole career knowing that this was the end goal," he added. "We wanted it to happen after football and have a successful career and do at at 40 years old but the way results have went it's going to happen quicker than that.

"I've been fighting a chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, ever since I started playing football. I've had it my whole career and I've been under the orders of the doctors throughout. No one sees this part of football, they see you on the pitch and that's that.

"I've had a lot of people ask why I'm not playing and not going out on loan. We didn't want to share until this moment but to make everyone aware I've had it my whole playing career and that's where it's at."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulhams-kevin-mcdonald-transplant-after-19945345

WhiteJC

Ex-Dundee star Kevin McDonald reveals he needs transplant after suffering from kidney disease for 14 years

Ex-Dundee star Kevin McDonald has revealed he has suffered from kidney disease for 14 years – and now needs a transplant.

The Fulham ace – whose illness first came to light in 2008 medical as part of his move to Burnley from the Dark Blues – hopes to have surgery next month in a bid to avoid being placed on dialysis.

McDonald, 32, has known he would eventually need a transplant for the past 12 years.

The Carnoustie-born midfielder – who hasn't appeared for Scott Parker's side this season and is coaching at the English Premier League club – accepts his playing career could be over.

He told Sky Sports: "Over the years, my kidney function has got worse. That's what happens as part of the disease, it gets worse over time.

"We hoped I could get through my football career, then have a kidney transplant at the end of it but, unfortunately, it's not happened.

"I've got one kidney that doesn't work at all and one kidney that's about 10 per cent now.

"I've been playing with stage 1, to now stage 5 kidney disease, which is chronic kidney disease, kidney failure.

"Now we're speaking up on this because a lot of people have been asking me, 'Why are you not going out on loan, why are you not playing, why are you going into coaching so early?'.

"It's hard to digest but football is second priority now. My life, my family, my friends are number one, with my health even on top of that.

"That's where we're at now and we've just got to get on with it."

McDonald made his full Dundee debut at Glebe Park against Brechin as a 17-year-old back in 2005.

Since leaving Dens Park – three years after his senior bow – McDonald has also played for Scunthorpe United (loan), Notts County (loan), Sheffield United and Wolves.

'I want it done, I want it to get back to normal life'

The ex-Dee – who has racked up over 500 career appearances and five caps for the national team – said: "In terms of the transplant, I've always been relaxed about it.

"I have trust in my kidney team, I always have done, as well as doctors at my football clubs.

"Wolves and Fulham especially, have been top drawer in terms of taking care of me.

"That's always reassured me and now meeting the surgeon and talking to him, I have even more confidence in him to do the surgery, which is major surgery.

"It has to be done, whether it's now, at the end of the year, in 10 years, it has to be done at some point.

"The way my mind is now, I want it done, I want to get back to normal life.

"I take 10 tablets a day so I want to get back to normal life and hopefully it will soon be like that.

"I've always been in the boat of, 'Let's go on as long as we can, at the best level we can'.

"I go off the doctor's advice and my kidney team's advice. If they said to me, 'Listen, you have to retire tomorrow', I'd be done."

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/2014678/ex-dundee-star-kevin-mcdonald-reveals-he-needs-transplant-after-suffering-from-kidney-disease-for-14-years/

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald reveals he will have a kidney transplant after friends and family offered themselves as donors... with only 10% function in one kidney and the other suffering complete failure

Kevin McDonald has revealed his long battle with chronic kidney disease
    Fulham midfielder – who hasn't played this season – requires a kidney transplant
    McDonald was diagnosed at 18 and has needed a kidney transplant for 12 years
    The 32-year-old will face a three-month recovery period after the procedure
    He will then assess whether he can continue his career or is forced to retire

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald hopes to have a kidney transplant next month after revealing he has been battling chronic kidney disease throughout his whole career.

McDonald, who was diagnosed at the age of 18, last played for Fulham in July and will face a three-month recovery period after the procedure before an assessment on whether he can continue his career or is forced to retire.

The 32-year-old turned down opportunities to go out on loan this season to prioritise his health, and has been preparing for life after football by taking his badges and coaching Fulham's Under 18s and 23s.

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald has revealed his long battle with chronic kidney disease

McDonald, who will receive a new kidney from either one of his best friends or his brother, said: 'We are talking about life-threatening diseases and illnesses. Football has been great but there are certain things that need to take over that, and this is one of them.

I'm at stage-five kidney failure now so I need this transplant — that's it. I need it or I go on dialysis and I'm there four times a week until I get a kidney transplant so that's the end goal, regardless of whether it's now, six months or a year's time.

'Certain things have got to be done and this (a transplant) is one for me. I want to get it over with, make sure everything is right and get back again.'

He added: 'I've known I've needed a kidney transplant for nearly 12 years now. I've loved my whole career in football but at the same time, in the back of my mind, my health has always been my priority. Football is a game but we're talking about life threatening diseases.

McDonald (left) – who has not played for Fulham this season – will have a transplant in April

'I've got one kidney that doesn't work at all and one kidney that's about 10 per cent now. I've been playing with stage 1, to now stage 5 kidney disease, which is chronic kidney disease, kidney failure.'

McDonald's contract expires at the end of the season and he says it is 'most likely' he has played his last game for Fulham, who he has helped to promotion to the Premier League twice.

He added: 'I'm not going to play until I'm 38. My body won't allow that, no chance, but I can play until I'm 35 no problem.

'I'm not going to go and play in the Premier League now, it's too fast for me — probably always has been actually! But I know where I'm at in my career and if it comes to that and I want to go down the coaching role and there's something here at Fulham, that would give me a decision to make.'

The 32-year-old was diagnosed at the age of 18 and has been under doctor's orders since

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9316671/Fulham-midfielder-Kevin-McDonald-transplant-revealing-long-battle-kidney-disease.html

WhiteJC

Premier League relegation battle in focus as bottom seven's next six games analysed

With 12 matches remaining and seven teams embroiled in a dog-fight to avoid the drop to the Championship, Mirror Football takes a detailed look at the relegation battle

he Premier League really is the most entertaining and competitive division around.

In early November, Southampton momentarily climbed to the table's summit for the first time in the competition's history. Now, they are facing the very real threat of relegation if they cannot turn around their dismal run of form.

Below the Saints are six other teams locked in a dog-fight to avoid the drop, although it may be more realistic to say five given Sheffield United's fate already appears to be sealed.

Among the combatants are Burnley and Brighton, who have each registered some impressive results but struggled for consistency.

Injury-struck Newcastle sit 17th and this is where things get especially interesting, with Scott Parker's Fulham and Sam Allardyce's West Brom both vying to close the gap on the Magpies during the run-in.

The upcoming fixtures will play a key role in shaping the fight for survival and here Mirror Football breaks down each side's next six games and overall hopes of staying in the Premier League.

Southampton
Position: 14th - Games Played: 26 - Points: 30

Next six games: Sheffield United (A), Manchester City (A), Brighton (H), Burnley (H), West Brom (A), Crystal Palace (H)

The rise and fall of Southampton this season has been quite remarkable to witness.

The Saints topped the Premier League for the first time in their history in early November and battled to an impressive victory over champions Liverpool two months later.

Since Danny Ings scored the winner against his old side, however, Southampton have suffered a dramatic slide from sixth to 14th in the table.

They are the most out-of-form team in the division with eight losses and one draw in their last nine games, including a 9-0 drubbing at Manchester United.

Manager Ralph Hasenhuttl will certainly be feeling the heat, but his side have been hit hard by injuries since their fixture list grew drastically more challenging at the turn of the year.

While their defence has been particularly badly struck, the Saints' attacking issues were also highlighted in their 1-0 defeat at Everton on Monday.

Nonetheless, Southampton have favourable upcoming fixtures - the trip to Manchester City aside - and Hasenhuttl will be confident his side can haul themselves out of the relegation scrap.

Burnley
Position: 15th - Games Played: 26 - Points: 28

Next six games:Leicester (H), Arsenal (H), Everton (A), Southampton (A), Newcastle (H), Manchester United (A)

After a poor start to the season, Burnley rallied to haul themselves out of the relegation spots in December and they have not looked back since.

The Clarets' 1-0 victories at Arsenal and Liverpool - the latter ended the Reds' 68-game unbeaten Anfield run - served as a reminder of what they are capable of as a stubborn, hard-to-break-down unit.

With Nick Pope in goal and a formidable centre-back partnership of James Tarkowski and Ben Mee, Sean Dyche's men are capable of keeping a clean sheet against any opposition.

But things are much more concerning in attack; only Sheffield United have scored fewer than Burnley's total of 18 goals in the Premier League.

Chris Wood is their top scorer for the season with just four goals as he struggles to match his tally of 14 from last season.

On paper, Burnley's upcoming run appears to be on the more challenging end of the spectrum and they were soundly beaten 4-0 by Tottenham on Sunday.

But their track record in big games suggests there will be points for the Clarets over the next six games which will move them closer to the coveted 40-point safety net.

Brighton
Position: 16th - Games Played: 26 - Points: 26

Next six games: Leicester (H), Southampton (A), Newcastle (H), Manchester United (A), Everton (H), Chelsea (A)

Brighton have been teetering on the edge of the relegation zone for the majority of the season but have avoided dipping into it so far.

They are without doubt one of the most baffling teams in the division, routinely registering a higher expected goals total than their opposition only to waste chance after chance as they miss out on three points.

Their last three games have summed this up perfectly.

In the 0-0 draw with Aston Villa, Emiliano Martinez produced one of the goalkeeping performances of the season to keep the dominant Seagulls at bay.

Nine days later, Brighton were beaten 2-1 at home by Crystal Palace, with the Eagles registering two touches in the box in the entire match - and scoring with them both.

At West Brom on Saturday, Brighton missed two penalties and saw a goal controversially chalked off in a 1-0 loss.

Their form is concerning, but Graham Potter's side exhibited what they can do when they take their chances with an unbeaten run between mid-January and mid-February.

During the six-game run, they beat Leeds, Liverpool and Tottenham and their defence was hugely impressive, conceding just one goal.

While they have been unfortunate recently and their upcoming fixtures are mixed, Potter has made his team hard to beat and Brighton will certainly avoid the drop if they start converting their chances.

Newcastle
Position: 17th - Games Played: 26 - Points: 26

Next six games: West Brom (A), Aston Villa (H), Brighton (A), Tottenham (H), Burnley (A), West Ham (H)

Many see the battle to avoid relegation as a straight shoot-out between Newcastle and Fulham - and it's not hard to see why.

They are two teams on very different trajectories: the Magpies have slowly slumped from 12th to 17th in the table while Fulham - who we will come on to - have battled to pick up crucial points

Newcastle avoided a third successive defeat as they played out a 1-1 draw with Wolves on Saturday night, but their overall form makes for bleak reading and they have lost 10 of their last 15 games.

There has been some cause for cheer, as the mid-season arrival of coach Graeme Jones from Bournemouth has been credited with improving Newcastle's brand of football.

Progress has been hindered by attacking injuries, however, and the Magpies will be without top scorer Callum Wilson, and fellow attackers Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin until April.

Scoring goals could prove a major issue and Newcastle may be reduced to defending resolutely and looking to edge or draw low-scoring games in their favourable upcoming games.

Fulham
Position: 18th - Games Played: 26 - Points: 23

Next six games: Tottenham (H), Liverpool (A), Manchester City (H), Leeds (H), Aston Villa (A), Wolves (H)

As mentioned, Fulham have been steadily earning points in recent weeks to give them hope of Premier League survival.

Their current five-match unbeaten run is the longest of any of the bottom seven clubs, with the Cottagers winning two of those games and drawing three.

Summer signings Joachim Andersen and Tosin Adarabioyo have formed a formidable partnership in central defence to make a once-leaky Fulham side hard to break down.

The likes of Ademola Lookman and Ivan Cavaleiro have been sharp in attack and Fulham fans can be pleased with the character their squad has shown regardless of the season's outcome.

What may come back to haunt the west London side is their failure to clinch all three points in matches where they had the better chances.

No team in the division has drawn more games than the Cottagers (11) this season and that is why they find themselves three points adrift of Newcastle and safety.

While the Magpies have favourable fixtures over their next six games, Fulham are about to embark on a hugely challenging run with Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City up next.

Scott Parker knows his side cannot let the gap to safety grow too big, as the relegation battle may be decided in a tantalising clash between Fulham and Newcastle on the final day of the season.

West Brom
Position: 19th - Games Played: 26 - Points: 17

Next six games: Everton (H), Newcastle (H), Crystal Palace (A), Chelsea (A), Southampton (H), Leicester (A)

Survival specialist Sam Allardyce knows his West Brom side have a mountain to climb if they are to pull off an unlikely escape from the drop zone.

The Baggies are nine points adrift of 17th-place Newcastle and they have just 12 matches remaining to make up the ground.

There has been improvement in recent weeks, with January loan signings Okay Yokuslu, Ainsley-Maitland Niles and Mbaye Diagne introduced to the spine of the team.

In their last three games, West Brom battled to draws with Manchester United and Burnley, and clinched a fortuitous victory over Brighton.

They will need to build on these results in the games to come and the home clash with Newcastle on Sunday sticks out as a vital fixture in the relegation dog-fight.

Victory over the Magpies could set up a three-way contest with Fulham to clinch safety, but defeat would likely mean it is a two-horse race for 17th place.

Sheffield United
Position: 20th - Games Played: 26 - Points: 11

Next six games: Aston Villa (H), Southampton (H), Leicester (A), Leeds (A), Arsenal (H), Wolves (A)

Unfortunately, Blades fans, there really isn't much to say here.

After a brief run of three wins in five games earlier in 2021, Sheffield United have suffered four losses in a row to leave them firmly rooted to the bottom of the table.

An injury to defensive lynchpin Jack O'Connell came as a major blow at the start of the season and United have suffered further blows with centre-backs John Egan and Chris Basham facing lengthy spells on the sidelines.

Goals have also been a major issue, with Rhian Brewster struggling to make an impact after arriving from Liverpool last summer and the Blades scoring just 15 times in the Premier League.

Last season's surprise package have suffered a major bout of 'second season syndrome' but, to their credit, Bramall Lane chiefs have stuck by Chris Wilder so far and will hope the Englishman leads the club back to the top flight next season.

In the meantime, the Blades will hope to give their supporters something to cheer about as they take on Chelsea in the FA Cup quarter-finals later this month.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-relegation-battle-games-23590710

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald to undergo kidney transplant next month

The 32-year-old has not featured for Fulham this season
    McDonald has played entire career with kidney disease

Kevin McDonald (centre, No 6) has revealed he has spent his entire playing career managing kidney disease. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images

The Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald has revealed he will undergo a kidney transplant next month, having spent his playing career managing chronic kidney disease.

McDonald, who is 32, was first diagnosed at the age of 18 and has managed his condition during a playing career that has included 500 appearances for Dundee, Burnley, Sheffield United and Wolves. McDonald joined Fulham in 2016 and collected the first of five international caps for Scotland in 2018.

"I've been fighting a chronic kidney disease, or kidney failure ever since I started playing football," McDonald told FFCtv. "I've had it my whole career and been under the orders of the doctors throughout my whole career. No one sees this part of football. People just see you on the pitch and they have their opinions of you and that's that.

"I've had a lot of people asking about why am I not playing, why am I not going out on loan. It is something that we didn't want to share until this moment because obviously [with] what's coming up it needs to be said now. I just wanted to come out with this."

McDonald, who was left out of Scott Parker's 25-man Premier League squad and has not played for Fulham this season, has been gaining coaching experience with the club's under-23 squad. He hopes to play again in the lower leagues after his scheduled transplant in April, which was made possible when friends and family put themselves forward to become donors.

"I've known I've needed a kidney transplant for nearly 12 years now. I've loved my whole career in football but at the same time, in the back of my mind, my health has always been my priority. Football is a game but we're talking about life-threatening diseases," McDonald said. "I've got one kidney that doesn't work at all and one kidney that's about 10% now. I've been playing with stage one, to now stage five kidney disease, which is chronic kidney disease, kidney failure."

"It's a part of me opening up about it – of course there were certain reasons to not tell anyone, so people and football clubs and businesses might not want to employ you as such. But now, knowing that I'm towards the end of my career I've taken the decision to pick health over football, this season especially."

Fulham posted a segment of McDonald's video message on their official Twitter account on Tuesday morning, with the message "we're all behind you, Kev".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/02/kevin-mcdonald-fulham-midfielder-to-undergo-kidney-transplant

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Tottenham Hotspur - prediction, team news, lineups

Fulham and their new-found defensive resilience prepare to meet a Tottenham Hotspur side who have rediscovered their goalscoring touch in Thursday's London derby.

The Cottagers extended their unbeaten run to five matches with a goalless stalemate against Crystal Palace last time out, while Tottenham eased to a 4-0 win over Burnley.

Match preview
Fulham and their low-scoring affairs have become a staple of the Premier League over the past couple of months, but Scott Parker would have no doubt been frustrated to see his side fail to break down a dogged Crystal Palace defence on Sunday afternoon.

An inspired performance from Eagles number one Vicente Guaita prevented Fulham from recording back-to-back wins for the first time this season, but the Cottagers nevertheless extended their unbeaten run to five matches as they bid to avoid an immediate return to Championship football.

Parker's men remain three points adrift of Newcastle United in 18th, but given the Magpies' recent injury woes, Fulham will be looking ahead to the spring with even more optimism if performances continue in the same vein, especially seeing as they have only shipped one goal in their last five.

However, Fulham have only found the back of the net four times in their unbeaten run - with the absence of Aleksandar Mitrovic through coronavirus clearly felt in the camp - and no team has amassed fewer goals on home soil than Fulham's eight in the 2020-21 Premier League campaign.

On the other hand, no team in the bottom half of the standings has shipped fewer than Fulham's 32 this term, and victory in Thursday's derby would see them temporarily climb to safety, although they have prevailed in just one of their last 14 midweek top-flight games and Tottenham appear to have turned a corner at just the right moment.

Gareth Bale is never far away from the centre of attention no matter where he plies his trade, but the much-maligned Welshman made headlines for all the right reasons against Burnley on Sunday, as his brace helped propel Jose Mourinho's side to a resounding 4-0 success on their own turf.

Harry Kane and Lucas Moura also found the back of the net on the day as Spurs ran out winners by a four-goal scoreline for the second game in a row - following their thrashing of Wolfsberger in the Europa League - and Mourinho's men recovered from back-to-back defeats to Manchester City and West Ham United in perfect fashion against the Clarets.

Five defeats from their last seven Premier League matches have seriously harmed Spurs' top-four ambitions, but the eighth-placed Lilywhites are just six points off the Champions League places with a game in hand over most of the teams above them, so the importance of stringing a set of wins together cannot be understated.

However, Tottenham travel to Craven Cottage boasting a measly one win from their last eight top-flight away fixtures, and having lost their last three on the road, Mourinho could lose four league away matches in a row for the first time ever if Spurs come up short again.

Parker's men held Tottenham to a 1-1 draw in the reverse fixture last month, but the hosts have won just one of their last 14 against their fellow capital outfit, with Spurs winning 10 of the last 12.

Fulham Premier League form: LDWDWD

Tottenham Hotspur Premier League form: LLWLLW
Tottenham Hotspur form (all competitions): LLWLWW

Team News
Marek Rodak and Tom Cairney are the only two injury concerns for Fulham, who will no doubt be aiming to keep changes to a minimum amid their solid run of form.

Ola Aina's substitution at half time against Palace was a tactical decision, Parker confirmed, so it would not be a surprise to see Antonee Robinson given the nod here.

Should the hosting manager make some alterations before Sunday's meeting with Liverpool, Mario Lemina and Ivan Cavaleiro could both return to the starting lineup, but Aleksandar Mitrovic may not be ready for a start just yet.

The only occupant of Tottenham's medical room at present is Giovani Lo Celso, but there is hope that he could return to the squad for Sunday's battle with Palace.

With Bale's qualities finally coming to the fore, the Welshman will not want to be dropped for this game, while Dele Alli enjoyed a third substitute outing in succession against Burnley but may not be considered for a start just yet.

It remains to be seen if Serge Aurier will be risked again after only just returning from injury, but in an ideal world, Mourinho would name an unchanged XI from the weekend's win, although the congested schedule means that changes could be made.

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Areola; Tete, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Robinson; Reed, Lemina; Cavaleiro, Loftus-Cheek, Lookman; Maja

Tottenham Hotspur possible starting lineup:
Lloris; Doherty, Dier, Sanchez, Reguilon; Hojbjerg, Sissoko; Bale, Moura, Son; Kane

We say: Fulham 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur

Any significant alterations to either team will have a major impact on the outcome of this match, and both Parker and Mourinho have several big calls to make during a hectic week. The Cottagers' defensive resilience will be tested to the limit against Bale and co on Thursday, and while Mourinho's side are unlikely to have as much joy in front of goal as they did against Wolfsberger and Burnley, we still expect Spurs to eke out a vital win in a closely-fought battle.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/spurs/relegation-battle/preview/preview-fulham-vs-spurs-prediction-team-news-lineups_437410.html?cQx=NN&newsnow

WhiteJC

Everton And Fulham Scouting Bundesliga 21-Year-Old

Premier League duo Everton and Fulham are tracking Stuttgart's young winger Silas Wamangituka, according to Eurosport.

The 21-year-old has caught the eye of several clubs across Europe with his scintillating displays for Stuttgart in the current campaign.

Stuttgart's rival Bundesliga clubs, along with English top flight outfits Everton and Fulham, are showing keen interest in him.

Scouts from the Toffees and the Cottagers are tracking Wamangituka's progress at Stuttgart as they plot their future transfer moves.

Wamangituka's pace, coupled with his eye for goal, are what are claimed to have piqued the interest of the Premier League duo.

The winger has registered eleven goals and three assists from his 22 Bundesliga outings so far this season.

Having arrived in Germany from Paris FC in the summer of 2019, Wamangituka has evolved into a key player at Stuttgart under coach Pellegrino Matarazzo.

With Wamangituka having popped up on the radar of several clubs in and abroad, it remains to be seen whether he will move on to pastures new in the summer.

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/03/02/everton-and-fulham-scouting-bundesliga-21-year-old/496870/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker and Joachim Andersen fire warning shot at Spurs ahead of Fulham clash

Fulham boss Scott Parker and defender Joachim Andersen have both fired warning shots at Tottenham Hotspur by insisting that the Cottagers will be looking to get all three points in the London derby on Thursday.

Tottenham's back-to-back 4-0 wins over Wolfsberger and Burnley seems to have restored some confidence back in the Spurs squad.

With Gareth Bale and Dele Alli also hitting form at the right time and key players returning back from injury, Jose Mourinho will be hoping that his side can put together a run of results.

On their back of their win over Burnley on Sunday, Spurs now sit just six points off West Ham in fourth with a game in hand over the Hammers.

Their next opponents, Fulham come into the match in very good form, unbeaten in their last five games.

Andersen admitted that the Cottagers are confident on the back of their performance at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in January that they can get the better of the North Londoners.

The Dane told the club's official website: "There is no need to show fear, we know and we have shown all season that no matter who we are playing we can show a good performance. Last time we played them I feel we could have won so let's go win on Thursday.

"We should have won by two or three goals [against Palace on Sunday]. It is really frustrating but again a really positive performance and something we need to build on. We have to believe the goals will come and they will."

Parker also admitted that his players will be looking to beat Spurs on Thursday.

The former Tottenham midfielder said: "I see points coming from the next game.

"I believe in this team and the team believes as well. I believe we can beat Spurs.

"We can go into the Thursday game and cause them problems."

Spurs Web Opinion

It is vitally important that we continue to build momentum with a win over Fulham on Thursday. If we were to lose at Craven Cottage, it will be a massive blow to the players' confidence and the result against Burnley will count for very little.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/scott-parker-and-joachim-andersen-fire-warning-shot-at-spurs-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Kevin McDonald's courage comes as no surprise

Kevin McDonald's announcement this morning, via a sensitively conducted interview on Fulham's website, that he will shortly undergo a kidney transplant was profoundly moving. Most impressive was his poise – even at a deeply personal and troubling movement – in explaining how he had played with kidney failure throughout his career and had made the choice to opt for a transplant as he contemplates the next stage of his life. Football seems very trivial at such grave moments, but it is how we've come to know McDonald and, having watched his performances over the year, his courage is not a surprise.

The educational element of McDonald's interview should not be overlooked. His season has been a frustrating one, relegated to the sidelines after another promotion from the Championship, but the doubts surrounding those decisions can be placed to one side now. No one can diminish his contribution to Fulham's success in almost five years at Craven Cottage and it is clear that the club hold him in high regard, given how he has been working with the youth teams as part of his progress towards his coaching qualifications.

McDonald makes the profound point that people only know footballers through their persona and performances on the pitch. You always felt with the him that what you saw on the field – however impressive – was only half the story. Here was a natural leader, a character for others to rally around, the voice to offer encouragement and inspiration or a quiet word for those who needed it. There was no doubt that these characteristics proved pivotal in Fulham's successful promotions from the Championships. His strength of character can only be underlined by the fact that he has reached such heights in his playing career whilst battling a chronic condition.

Writers like me often use hyperbole to illustrate their points, but it is no exaggeration to say that McDonald's impact upon arrival from Wolves in 2016 was massive. He moved to west London after Fulham's year-long pursuit finally paid dividends and, after Slavisa Jokanovic deployed him in a deeper role that at any previous point in his playing career, made Fulham far harder to play through. It wasn't that was a mere stopper in the classical mould, either. McDonald could nit the play together impressively, the perfect fit for a side that wanted to play out from the back and dominate possession, ensuring that his team could effectively utilise the considerable talents of his midfield colleagues, Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney.

He was a vital part of Fulham's most attractive side for twenty years and that midfield triumvirate took the Championship by storm as Jokanovic's swashbuckling side surged to within a whisker of automatic promotion with a memorable 23-match unbeaten run. McDonald's joyous celebrations after the final whistle on that gorgeous day at Wembley will live long in the memory. My favourite image of his Fulham career remains a private one, captured in the Wembley dressing rooms, with McDonald addressing his victorious team-mates following their moment of glory. I have no idea what he was saying but the faces transfixed on his words tell you just highly regarded he was as a leader.

Dressing rooms are unforgiving places. Players quickly discover who is a phoney and won't excuse though who shirk challenges. You could never level such an accusation at McDonald, whose matter-of-fact manner rather lends itself to cutting through any confusion. Such qualities will serve him well when he makes the transition from playing into coaching. His contributions have already made quite an impression on some of Fulham's youngsters and, although there's an admirable desire to continue his career in the lower leagues, I hope he might be able to contribute to the club's future in a coaching capacity. He certainly has plenty to offer – and at this difficult moment, as ever, McDonald is leading by example.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/kevin-mcdonalds-courage-comes-as-no-surprise/

WhiteJC

Fulham to provide Tottenham Hotspur with stern test

Fulham, who have clawed their way back into contention to stay in the Premier League after going a month without a loss, will offer Tottenham a stern test on Thursday.

You've got to give a lot of credit to Scott Parker's Fulham side, who, not more than four weeks ago, appeared down and out. Cast eight points adrift, Fulham have gone on a five match unbeaten run and are now just three points behind fourth-from-bottom Newcastle.

The short trip to West London will represent a challenging 90 minutes for Spurs, who are coming off one of their best performances in recent memory. Fulham are entrenched in a battle for the Premier League lives, but Tottenham also have a lot riding on Thursday's encounter. If Spurs win their game in hand, they'll be just three points adrift of fourth place.

Leicester, after suffering numerous long-term injuries to first team regulars, are expected to plummet down the table. If that eventuates, it would mean two top four spots are up for grabs. But Tottenham have to win that game in hand, a difficult task against a desperate, in-form side.

While Fulham will put their collective best foot forward on Thursday, Spurs will have enough to take all three points if they acquit themselves like they did against Burnley on Sunday. Gareth Bale, Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min will need all of their offensive creativity, incisiveness and guile against Fulham, who have conceded just a single goal during their current five match unbeaten run. That's an incredible defensive record no matter who the opponents.

Spurs were rampant against a poor Burnley side, but the real litmus test is forthcoming. If Jose's men can expose Fulham the way they did the Clarets, we can rest assured that Tottenham are back to their high-flying selves.

https://hotspurhq.com/2021/03/02/fulham-provide-tottenham-hotspur-stern-test/