watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RLC & Cairney

Started by filham, March 06, 2021, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

The news about Tom Cairney is not good and it seems most unlikely that he will be back in premier league action for us again this season. He has not played for a while and is unlikely to be able to play enough football in under 23 matches and off the bench to get in ready for a full 90 minute relegation battle.

This means that RLC now needs to play in every game from tomorrow until the end of the season , hard to see without Cairney where the cover is.
What now happens if RLC is out injured for a couple of games, who fills his place, Reid ?, Anguissa ?

H4usuallysitting

Well, for energy levels & commitment...Mr Stuart Gray

colinwhite

Tom was unlikely to get back in the team IMO.sad but true.

Statto

Quote from: colinwhite on March 06, 2021, 10:55:18 AM

Have to respectfully disagree Colin, IMO most of the criticism of RLC is OTT but nonetheless a fit TC offers a lot more

Bill2

Quote from: Statto on March 06, 2021, 11:45:52 AM

Have to respectfully disagree Colin, IMO most of the criticism of RLC is OTT but nonetheless a fit TC offers a lot more
For what it is worth I find it difficult to determine between TC and RLC, they are two players who play in the same position but!!!!
RLC, has been improving game on game.
Pros - better going forward, strong on the ball and has more pace.
Cons - poor in the air but improving and not the greatest tackler. Cannot shoot for toffee not as quick with the pass and can often run into trouble.
TC. Pros - Excellent passer of the ball although sometimes a bit too many sideways, can run with the ball, great shot albeit left leg only, and when fired up is a very good tackler will challenge for the ball in the air.
Cons - Does not always want to take the ball forward.
This may sound like heresy especially as I have often criticised him on this board but I think that RLC just edges it purely because when he takes that ball forward he is more dangerous although his complete inability to shoot from outside the box means goals will be in short supply. That doesn't mean I would be upset if I saw TC's name on the starting list and with his shooting ability from range would make opposition think differently on defending.

Twig

Sorry but I don't see this. For me a fully fit TC would offer a significant improvement to our midfield by replacing the somewhat ineffective RLC.

Woolly Mammoth

Perhaps they can play in the same Fulham team at the same time.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

Its actually rather odd.
TC has no right foot anywhere on the pitch and RLC has no feet in the final third.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Denver Fulham

I have much love for TC and what he's done for the club, but he was exposed as not good enough for this league two years ago and now has chronic knee issues. Why so many people on here think he'd be the answer is curious, but opinions can differ.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 06, 2021, 12:45:55 PM
Perhaps they can play in the same Fulham team at the same time.
TC was pretty good in the Championship can't see RLC staying.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

It has been a long time since we have seen a good Fulham shot on target from outside the box, we are missing that sweet left foot of Cairney's.

perry geyton

Absolutely
Everyone's written off our best player it's comical

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I'm sorry I don't think TC offers anything more than RLC.

Pluto

Cairney is much better and offers ten times more than RLC. Plus he can score, which RLC can't do if his life depended on it. Would rather play Onomah in that position than RLC as he might actually try.

perry geyton

Quote from: Pluto on March 06, 2021, 07:16:14 PM
Cairney is much better and offers ten times more than RLC. Plus he can score, which RLC can't do if his life depended on it. Would rather play Onomah in that position than RLC as he might actually try.

Me too Onomah can shoot too, deserves a game
RLC is hugely overrated/hype

Receive the ball, go around a player then fall over, he simply can't stay on his feet and the less said about his shooting the better, I see the potential in him but it's taking too long

fulhamfan

Cairney had been poor for a while, he was poor for most of last season apart from the first few games

Whitestone

TC and RLC are very different players. Its a bit like comparing apples with pears. That said the squad would be stronger with a fit TC. Not sure he would displace RLC though. Strange how the rose tinted glasses come out when a player has been out of the squad for a while.

Twig

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on March 06, 2021, 07:07:29 PM

I'm sorry I don't think TC offers anything more than RLC.
[/quote

Scores goals and registers assists neither of which RLC has achieved to date.

Twig

Quote from: fulhamross on March 06, 2021, 08:16:15 PM
Cairney had been poor for a while, he was poor for most of last season apart from the first few games

He was running into excellent form prior to his injury this season.

ALG01

Quote from: filham on March 06, 2021, 10:00:13 AM
The news about Tom Cairney is not good and it seems most unlikely that he will be back in premier league action for us again this season. He has not played for a while and is unlikely to be able to play enough football in under 23 matches and off the bench to get in ready for a full 90 minute relegation battle.

This means that RLC now needs to play in every game from tomorrow until the end of the season , hard to see without Cairney where the cover is.
What now happens if RLC is out injured for a couple of games, who fills his place, Reid ?, Anguissa ?

No it does not mean RLC has to play, he is a passenger.
we could play frank, lemina and reed as the three
or reid frank reed
or a number of other combinations
we were so much better V spurs when rlc went off, the whole dynamic improved.