watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 08/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 08, 2021, 08:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tosin Adarabioyo outlines his England credentials in Fulham's crucial win at Liverpool

At the beginning of February, Fulham looked dead and buried.

Now we're not even a week into March, but Scott Parker's team are alive and kicking.

In a Premier League season that is being drained of character and life with every passing week, Fulham's resurrection has been a breath of fresh air.

They have evolved from a side that is hard to beat into a fully functioning team capable of mixing it with English football's best, and in doing so they have dissolved an eight-point gap to move level on points with the teams above them.

Their win at Liverpool saw them keep their fifth clean sheet in seven games, and only Manchester City have a better defensive record since the beginning of December. That's no small sample size of games: they've played almost every team in the division since losing to City at the Etihad.

Ironically, at the heart of it all has been a City alumnus. After slamming the door in Liverpool's face in their back garden, Tosin Adarabioyo is only just now getting the credit he deserves for his revelational performances at the heart of the Fulham back line.

He wasn't viewed as a particularly exciting signing when he arrived at Craven Cottage off the back of a loan spell with Blackburn. The general consensus from the outside looking in was that he was brought in to tick a box and make up the numbers, but he is beginning to make us all look very silly indeed.

He is the perfect defender for a team at the back end of the Premier League. It doesn't seem to matter that he is a little cumbersome and not the quickest across the ground, because nothing gets past him. Ever.

The 23-year-old has played every minute for the Cottagers since his summer move, and in that time he has averaged more clearances per 90 minutes than any other Premier League player (5.9). Against Liverpool, he cleared the ball 17 times: second place was Joachim Andersen, who made six.

He ranks in the top ten for aerial duels won among defenders, and in the 23 league games Fulham have played with him at the heart of their back line, they've conceded just 20 times. That is the sort of form that keeps you in the top flight, and we are now starting to see that reflected in the table.

If Fulham's resurrection continues at its current pace, we're likely to see Adarabioyo's name (just 'Tosin' on his shirt) in the headlines a fair deal more often. His new-found recognition is well deserved, and could well see him come into Gareth Southgate's thinking come the Euros. Hell, if Tyrone Mings and Michael Keane have seats on the bus, why not?

One thing at a time, though. For now, Adarabioyo will be thinking of nothing other than dragging Fulham further out of the mire and keeping the heat on Newcastle and Brighton - who must now be cursing his very existence and the effect it is having on Parker's team.

Fulham are alive, and as long as their defensive colossus is there to kick the ball into touch every time an opposing striker thinks about having a shot, they're not giving up the fight any time soon.

https://www.90min.com/posts/tosin-adarabioyo-england-credentials-fulham-liverpool-opinion

WhiteJC

Liverpool slayer Lemina continues Premier League away run

The Gabon international has enjoyed great fortune away from home, and that run continued on Sunday evening at Anfield

Mario Lemina's three Premier League goals ever have been scored away from home, following his latest strike against Liverpool.

In Sunday's encounter against Jurgen Klopp's men, the Gabonese star sealed victory by netting the game's only goal in the 45th minute.

Ivan Cavaleiro's free-kick was headed away by Andrew Robertson, albeit, Mohamed Salad failed to clear his lines when the balled dropped to him on the edge of the box.

Lemina outmuscled him before drilling his shot across Alisson Becker's goal and into the far bottom corner.

With that, the 27-year-old midfielder ended his 23-month wait an English elite division strike, while each of his goals have come in different seasons - in 2017-18 vs West Brom, 2018-19 vs Newcastle and this season vs Liverpool.

Both teams came into Sunday's fixture having recorded defeats last time out. While Scott Parker's Cottagers bowed 1-0 at home against Jose Mourinho's Tottenham Hotspur, the Reds were pegged down by the same scoreline by Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea.

Despite dominating ball possession, Klopp's team were unable to break down the visitors who are fighting against relegation.

"I'm immensely proud," Parker told the Fulham website. "It was a big performance today. First half I thought we were fantastic really, both halves actually.

"In the first half we were the front foot, attacking team I want us to be, we created numerous chances and got our noses in front through some great skill from Mario.

"And second half we didn't want it to pan out that way but you understand if you come to a place like Anfield, with the quality that they possess, that you're going to have to be organised, you're going to have to be disciplined, win some headers, be good in your box.

"I thought the defensive line second half and the organisation from that was top as well. It's a massive result and I'm proud of them.

"The players have taken on every ounce of information they were given in the two, three days leading into this game."

Fulham are now level on points with Brighton and Hove Albion, but they stay in 18th on goal difference. Next up for them is a test against league leaders Manchester City at Craven Cottage.

As for Liverpool – who have now lost their last six home games - they take on outfit RB Leipzig in the Champions League on Wednesday.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/liverpool-slayer-lemina-continues-premier-league-away-run/8a2li5xub4g31uen2w6mw55on

WhiteJC

Parker 'proud' after Fulham's fantastic Anfield win

Scott Parker spoke of his immense pride after Fulham recorded a famous win at Anfield to further enhance their chances of beating the drop.

The Whites earned only their second ever victory at Liverpool thanks to Mario Lemina's magnificent strike on the stroke of half time and diligent defensive work against Jurgen Klopp's side. The win moves Fulham level on points with Brighton and Hove Albion and just a point behind Newcastle after the Magpies drew with West Bromwich Albion earlier this afternoon.

Parker told his post-match press conference:

"I'm immensely proud. It was a big performance today. First half I thought we were fantastic really, both halves actually. In the first half we were the front foot, attacking team I want us to be, we created numerous chances and got our noses in front through some great skill from Mario. And second half we didn't want it to pan out that way but you understand if you come to a place like Anfield, with the quality that they possess, that you're going to have to be organised, you're going to have to be disciplined, win some headers, be good in your box.

"I thought the defensive line second half and the organisation from that was top as well. It's a massive result and I'm proud of them. The players have taken on every ounce of information they were given in the two, three days leading into this game. They worked tirelessly in meetings and obviously on the training field, and they put that into action first half and it worked very well. And in the second half, like I said, we had a resilience, something you need to fall back on, certain foundations, and I thought we did that to a tee. We withstood a storm but still limited them to few chances."

The Fulham boss admitted that he had tweaked his team selection and tactics to exploit Liverpool's weaknesses.

"It was. I picked a team today that I felt would best suit Liverpool's style and how I thought we could hurt Liverpool and that was the sole reason behind it. I thought the attacking players were nothing short of fantastic. Everything we worked on came to plan; [Ivan] Cavaleiro, Bobby [Decordova-Reid] and [Ademola] Lookman stretching the game and with Maja I always want us to be a goal threat and I thought we were that.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/parker-proud-after-fulhams-fantastic-anfield-win/

WhiteJC

Gary Neville trolls Jamie Carragher after Fulham seal famous victory over Liverpool

Manchester United legend Gary Neville couldn't resist poking fun at Jamie Carragher after Fulham beat Liverpool to consign the champions to a sixth straight home defeat in the Premier League on Sunday.

Jurgen Klopp's much-changed team rarely threatened and were made to pay for their lacklustre performance in the opening 45 minutes as Mario Lemina stole the ball from Mohamed Salah and fired Fulham in front with a clinical finish right on the stroke of half-time.

Joachim Andersen prevented a simple tap-in for Sadio Mane with a heroic clearance at the death and the visitors held firm to secure their third win in six top-flight games and only their second ever victory at Anfield.

And while Fulham remain in the relegation zone, there have been signs they could steer themselves out of trouble despite being touted as definite candidates for the drop just a few games into their campaign.

Among the Cottagers' biggest critics while they sat rock-bottom of the table was Carragher, who said he was 'certain' they would go down in the wake of their thumping 3-0 loss at home to Aston Villa.

'Fulham are going down. I've never been more certain about anything in my life,' the ex-Liverpool and England defender said back in September.

Fans of Monday Night Football will know Neville never misses an opportunity to get one over on Carragher and the former Manchester United right-back wasted little time in reminding his fellow Sky Sports pundit of his previous comments after Fulham's famous win. 'Over to @Carra23 for the final word,' Neville tweeted along with a clip of Carragher's bold statement about Fulham earlier this season.

Liverpool's defeat means they remain stranded down in seventh and four points adrift of fourth-placed Chelsea, who have a game in hand on the Merseyside giants.

'The obvious thing missing was a goal and a clean sheet,' Liverpool head coach Klopp told BBC Sport after their latest defeat. 'It was always clear that Fulham would cause us big problems with the situation they are in and the one we are in.

'It was clear we had to adapt. We started quite well, we were direct and Mo [Salah] caused them problems but we didn't finish the situations off. Then Fulham were good.

'Our last line was completely new. We had balls in behind where we had to run a lot because we were not high enough or just not in the right position and we conceded the goal.

'That has an impact. Usually I would say 1-0 down is not a problem, it is a normal score and is one of three possible scores but of course at the moment for us it is different.

'We had to step up and the boys did. We started the second half well, created chances and we did not score again.'

Asked whether he was experiencing his lowest ever spell as a manager, the German replied: 'I would wish to say no but yes it is. 'That's not a problem. I don't always have to have the best times.

'This team is an extreme team. We were extremely successful and now we have an extreme situation as well but we will fight through.'

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/07/gary-neville-trolls-jamie-carragher-after-fulham-seal-famous-win-at-liverpool-14203434/?ito=newsnow-feed?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker 'immensely proud' as Fulham beat Liverpool to boost Premier League survival hopes

Scott Parker declared his "immense" pride after Fulham pulled off a famous win over Liverpool at Anfield to boost their Premier League survival hopes.

Though Liverpool headed into Sunday's clash off the back of five League home defeats in a row, Jurgen Klopp's champions were still odds-on to beat Scott Parker's relegation battlers.

However, Mario Lemina's first-half goal and some heroic defending gave Fulham a well-deserved 1-0 victory on Merseyside as their fight against the drop continues to gather pace.

Fulham have lost just once in the last seven and are now only in the bottom three by virtue of having a goal difference three worse than Brighton.

Manager Parker hailed the "massive result" at Anfield but insisted they were not getting distracted by their situation in the table.

"Immensely proud. A big performance today. A massive result," he said.

"The front-foot attacking side I want us to be was there and we got our noses in front with some good skill from Mario.

"You understand coming to a place like Anfield and the quality they possess you are going to have to be organised and disciplined.

"A win like this galvanises, not that we needed it or a result to give us belief or an understanding of what we can do as it's constantly been there.

"What is happening around us, who we are dragging in is irrelevant and remains to be the case.

"It is about us wanting to get better and keep moving in the right direction and that will not change.

"The new focus was to come here and get a result and cause Liverpool problems.

"I thought we did that, certainly first half. While results can give you that extra bit of belief, this is a team which has real belief.

"We will carry on for the remainder of the season in the same vein."

Additional reporting by PA.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/scott-parker-proud-fulham-fc-beat-liverpool-boost-premier-league-survival-hopes-b922680.html

WhiteJC

Lemina makes Fulham survival claim after massive win against Liverpool

Fulham midfielder Mario Lemina believes they will avoid relegation from the Premier League if they continue to play like they did in their 1-0 win against Liverpool at Anfield.

Lemina netted the winning goal for his side on the stroke of half-time to secure a massive three points in the Cottagers' fight for survival.

They remain in the drop zone by virtue of goal difference but are now level with Brighton on 26 points and are just one point behind Newcastle, although both have a game in hand.

"It depends on us and the way we play the other games," the 27-year-old told BBC Sport on the subject of staying up. "If we play like that, I think we will."

The remarkable victory is the latest result in an unbeaten away run that stretches back to last year. In that time the west London side have also defeated Everton and picked up a point against Tottenham on the road.

Lemina added: "We are struggling at the moment and it is hard to be at the bottom of the league, but we still believe in our quality and we showed in the first half we can play against a big opponent and in the second half we showed good character. It is three good points for us.

"Honestly I am not going to lie, I was scared because they need to win some games. But I was so confident in my team.

"We have shown in all the games we have played that we play good football and deserve to be higher in the league.

"In the last game I missed a big, big chance and I wanted to say I can score. It's a good goal because we win the game."

Parker reacts to win

Meanwhile, Scott Parker insisted that Fulham fully deserved their win over Liverpool and is "very proud" to have overseen the result.

He told BBC Sport: "It's a big win. There's a lot of emotion and I am very proud.

"I am happy for the players and the team because they got nothing short of what they deserved.

"In the first half I though we were fantastic. Numerous chances and we stuck to the plan in terms of how we wanted to cause them problems.

"The main thing coming into the game was 'can we put our stamp on it?'. Easier said than done of course. In the second half you never want it to pan out that way of course.

"There was a resilience and real attitude to keep the ball out of the net and defend. It was an overall all round performance by us."

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/mario-lemina-fulham-survival-claim-massive-liverpool-win

WhiteJC

Reed revels in 'massive' win

Harrison Reed described Fulham's narrow win at Anfield was a 'massive' result in their bid to fight off relegation from the Premier League – and suggested that Scott Parker's side wanted the three poins more than Liverpool.

The tigerish midfielder was at his combative best as the Whites comprehensively won the midfield battle with goalscorer Mario Lemina and Reed coming out on top against James Milner, Georginio Wijnaldum and Naby Keita in the centre of the park. Reed told Sky Sports after the final whistle:

"It's massive. We came here with confidence and we knew we have got a tough run. We had Spurs on Thursday, we've got City next and we knew if we could get something out of these games it would stand us in great stead. We're delighted with the win today."

Reed credited Parker with instilling Fulham's players with belief that they could pick up a precious three points and felt that Fulham's domination of the first 45 minutes was arguably one of their best displays in the current campaign.

"That was the message from the moment we built up to this game. The manager breeds belief to us – he speaks about coming here and winning, not coming here and getting a point or anything like that. It's coming here and winning. I think the first half was a superb performance, maybe one of our best this season and then we had to dig in in the second half. We knew they were going to come hard, we were going to have to dig in and put our bodies on the line and we did that.

"I think we did want it more. I think that was evident on the pitch. From the first whistle, we did want it more and I think that was a big factor in us getting the three points today. We feel it has been coming. We spoke about it a lot. It's been spoken about a lot – maybe that we haven't been scoring enough goals and turning games into wins for us. We put in Maj[a] in January and he's bought a striking instinct and goalscorer to our squad. He's a dangerous player, he worked his socks off and he was brilliant today.

The former Southampton midfielder believes that the momentum is with Fulham, who have now moved level on points with Brighton and Hove Albion, who currently occupy seventeenth spot in the table.

"I think we feel that. I think we've been building. I think if you look at the start of the season to now, we've grown massively and I feel everyone in the league and everyone watching can see that as well."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/reed-revels-in-massive-win/

WhiteJC

Verdict: Liverpool banner called for unity – but it was Fulham's heroes who showed it most

What a win!

Fulham inflicted a sixth straight home defeat on Liverpool, and not even a banner waving plane over Anfield could turn the tide for the red-faced Reds.

The banner read: 'Unity is strength'. But it was the Whites who galvanised as one to defend Mario Lemina's first goal for Fulham.

None more so than Tosin, who had a terrific game.

He telescoped a long leg time and time again to cancel the danger – never more so than after Sadio Mané had struck the post with a looping header in the second half.

Joachim Andersen's crucial interception in added time caught the eye, but it was the tireless work from Harrison Reed and Tosin that threw their club a lifeline.

It's ironic Liverpool's go-to threat for goals was the man who presented Fulham with one.

When Mohamed Salah was robbed on the edge of the box approaching half-time, Lemina did what had been hitherto missing – he hit the ball first time to watch it skid into the far corner.

Fulham need much more of the same if they are to escape the drop.

If there was a moment that summed up Scott Parker's frustration until then, it came a couple of minutes earlier, when a good raking cross found Kenny Tete on the far right.

Instead of sending it straight back into the mix, he stood on the ball looking for a pass.

It didn't sit well with Parker.

Lemina delivers
But he had reason to show emotion the right way when Lemina put Fulham ahead.

For a long time in the first 45, it looked as if those nearly moments would cost Fulham again.

Josh Maja had an early great chance to put Liverpool on the back foot, but scooped over when free in front of goal.

Ademola Lookman then cut in from the right and fired wide before Ivan Cavaleiro toe poked over from a decent half-chance.

Lookman, again, ran from just inside his own half to charge in from the diagonal.

There was a half second of doubt, maybe not even that, as he looked across before cutting it back it on his right.

But you don't give the likes of Liverpool, even this Liverpool, that amount of time.

Parker says it's the hardest thing in the world to put the ball in the net – and it all looked a bit desperate when Fulham got a sight of goal.

What they needed was an ice-cold assassin, and in Lemina, they got one.

Maja finding the going tough
That early Maja miss seemed to have an effect on the striker.

In the second half, Cavaleiro broke from James Milner's mistake, and was looking for the cavalry to arrive as he broke into the box.

The only one within shouting distance, and it would have needed a very loud shout, was Maja running, but far from flat out.

In fact, the loanee had given up the chase when he saw Cavaleiro cut inside for a skewed attempt on goal.

Maja looked tired, more than you might expect, and maybe that was half the reason he made way for Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Before he was hauled off against Tottenham, Loftus-Cheek had made it to the end of five previous games in a row.

Parker has missed no opportunity to praise the player he says he would like to sign permanently. But even the boss must be wearying of half-chances that never find the back of the net.

In fact, RLC's last action against Spurs was to find the back of the stand with a wayward shot.

Whatever way you carve it, he's scored just once, and that back in November with the aid of a deflection against Everton.

Sign him up!
Another plus, though, was the outstanding continuing form of Alphonse Areola.

It would be tricky to choose between the keeper and Andersen for most consistent performer in a white shirt.

This is the third time Areola has played at Anfield.

On the previous two in European competitions, he conceded three apiece.

I would say third time lucky, but there was nothing lucky about his tremendous one-handed save to deny Diogo Jota on 49 minutes.

If Fulham do survive, their first action after the season's final whistle should be to trigger their right-to-buy permanently from Paris Saint-Germain.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/verdict-liverpool-banner-called-for-unity-but-it-was-fulhams-heroes-who-showed-it-most

WhiteJC

Fulham lay on more misery at home for Liverpool
Juergen Klopp's side had the lion's share of the ball but again failed to convert possession into chances

Liverpool — Liverpool slumped to a club-record extending sixth consecutive home league defeat as they lost 1-0 to Fulham after a first-half goal by Mario Lemina in the Premier League on Sunday.   

The defeat by the relegation-threatened visitors marks the first time since the 1953/1954 season that the Reds have lost six games at Anfield in a league campaign.

Liverpool stay seventh on 43 points, four points off fourth-placed Chelsea having played a game more. Fulham remain in the bottom three on 26 points after 28 games but now only trail 17th-placed Brighton & Hove Albion on goal difference.

Juergen Klopp made seven changes to the Liverpool side that lost 1-0 at home to Chelsea on Thursday, but it made little difference as Lemina outmuscled Mohamed Salah on the edge of the box to take possession before lashing home in the 45th minute.

Liverpool's fortunes were summed up when unmarked substitute Sadio Mane had a great opportunity to equalise in the 80th minute but mistimed his downward header and the opening came to nothing.

Klopp dismissed suggestions Fulham were more up for the game than his reigning champions, who have looked a shadow of the team that romped to the title last season.

"The winner is always right. My boys wanted it. It's easy to judge, they [Fulham] have won it, so wanted it more. I don't think that's the problem," he told Sky Sports before giving a more damning assessment in the post-match media conference.

"It was not good enough. We conceded a goal, didn't score, lost the game, it was not good enough," he added.

Liverpool had the lion's share of the ball but yet again failed to convert possession into chances as Fulham's defence worked hard to prevent the home side from penetrating.

As Liverpool poured forward late on, Joachim Andersen threw himself to block a late Andy Robertson cross and, though the Reds earned a number of set pieces, Scott Parker's side held on to grab three valuable points in the battle against relegation.

"The second half, you don't plan it to go like that, but we showed another side to us — character, resilience and doggedness. I'm very proud of the team today," Parker told Sky Sports.

In the early game West Bromwich Albion's hopes of avoiding relegation were dented as they missed several chances in a 0-0 draw at home to fellow strugglers Newcastle United.

The result left Newcastle four points above the drop zone in 16th place on 27 from as many games, while West Brom stayed second-bottom on 18 from 28, eight points from the safety area.

Newcastle had the upper hand in the opening 15 minutes as they staged several fast breaks and only a superb clearance by Darnell Furlong from a Joelinton cross denied Ryan Fraser a close-range tap in.

Jonjo Shelvey also came close for the visitors in the 30th minute when goalkeeper Sam Johnstone kept out his deflected shot from inside the penalty area with a reflex save.

The hosts then spurned a pair of sitters either side of halftime as Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka tipped away Mbaye Diagne's header before Matthew Phillips blazed a shot over the bar from 8m.

West Brom's Johnstone then turned a Joseph Willock shot around the post on the hour before the pace dropped in the closing stages, with Newcastle holding out comfortably as West Brom applied some late pressure.

Reuters

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/sport/soccer/2021-03-07-fulham-lay-on-more-misery-at-home-for-liverpool/

WhiteJC

Harrison Reed rubs salt in Liverpool wounds by claiming Fulham 'wanted it more' than Jurgen Klopp's hapless Reds in 'massive' victory over the reigning champions at Anfield

Fulham beat Liverpool 1-0 to inflict a sixth successive home defeat on the Reds
    The Cottagers have now lost just one of their last seven Premier League games
    The Reds remain seventh in the table, four points behind fourth-placed Chelsea 
    Scott Parker's side host runaway league leaders Manchester City next Saturday

Harrison Reed gave a damning assessment of Liverpool's current state when the Fulham midfielder said his side won at Anfield on Sunday because they 'wanted it more'.

Mario Lemina's goal before half-time inflicted Liverpool's sixth consecutive home league defeat and left them facing an almighty task to qualify for the Champions League.

Reed said: 'The manager spoke about coming here and winning and the first half was one of our best this season.

Fulham midfielder Harrison Reed (right) claimed his side 'wanted it more' than Liverpool

Liverpool have now lost six straight games at Anfield for the first time in their history

'In the second half we had to dig in, put our bodies on the line and we did that. We wanted it more. That was evident from the first whistle and it was a big factor.'

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, who says he cannot even consider challenging for a top-four finish at the moment, did not disagree that Scott Parker's team had deserved their 1-0 victory.

It was only the second time in 35 visits that Fulham had won at Anfield.

The Cottagers' win at Anfield means they're now level on points with 17th-placed Brighton

Responding to Reed, Klopp said: 'The winners are always right. What can I say? My boys wanted it.

'Wanted it more? Easy to judge. They have won it, but I don't think that is a problem. I don't have to say we have to fight for this or that. We fight for all three points.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9335847/Harrison-Reed-rubs-salt-Liverpool-wounds-claiming-Fulham-wanted-more.html

WhiteJC

The baffling Newcastle United approach to the West Brom game that left plenty puzzled

Fulham closed to gap to Newcastle United to just one point - and fans are really fearing the worst

Watching Newcastle United's performance against West Brom, you would have been forgiven for thinking it was a final-day kick-about and not two sides fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table.

United - despite three days off this week - were lacklustre and certainly looked less energetic than the unchanged side Baggies side they faced.

Yes, they've been rocked by injuries to star men and a training ground bust-up but given what was on offer - the chance to move six points clear of the drop zone - more was rightly expected.

As it is, the gap is now just one point after Fulham's win at Liverpool - and instead of this point being seen as a positive one, it's seen as two dropped.

That's understandable - there was a total lack of urgency from United, who failed to really test a Baggies' defence which has shipped 56 goals this season.

Despite the injuries to key men United arguably still had the better starting 11, add to that the quick turn around of two and bit days for Sam Allardyce's men from Goodison Park on Thursday - it really is unacceptable to approach a game with a game plan of what seemed to many to be one not to lose, as opposed to winning.

It's perhaps no surprise though given Bruce's rejection that the game was a 'must-win' when asked by reporters on Friday.

And that is what has riled many - if a game against a safety rival, who has only won three times all season, is not a 'must-win' - then what game is?

Fulham's Harrison Reed after his side's victory against Liverpool spoke of the 'belief' Scott Park gives out - 'about coming here and winning, not coming here and getting a point or anything like that.'

There's an approach that every game is winnable - and while some might argue that's no surprise given the ground Fulham have had to make-up, the reality is that it's beginning to pay off.

Fulham seem to be riding a wave of self-belief, United are paddling toward safety but with the very real threat, they'll get dragged off course by an unwanted current.

Either Bruce and the Newcastle hierarchy are trying to play down the trouble facing them or they're playing a tactic of burying their heads in the sand - either way, the stats don't lie -

Newcastle have collected just 10 points from the last 42 available, whilst Fulham have picked up 18.

Granted, United have a game in hand on Fulham, and arguably an easer run-in but given that Liverpool have just been beaten by Parker's men - that might matter little.

There's also the small matter of the goal difference - United's on -17 is both worse than Brighton (-8) and Fulham (-11) and with a lack of goals in the Magpies' side, that adds another element to this battle.

If those at the top of the club aren't worried about the threat of relegation, they really should be now.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/contrast-self-belief-between-newcastle-19985308

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham Slay The Champions At Anfield

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our initial reaction show to Fulham's 1-0 victory against Liverpool. During the show we featured many comments from the Fulham supporters as this episode was more of a celebration show. We did highlight our thoughts of the match and ended the show with Man Of The Match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/3/7/22318435/cottage-talk-full-time-fulham-slay-the-champions-at-anfield

WhiteJC

Fulham 'will fight to the end,' says Lemina

Matchwinner Mario Lemina was delighted with Fulham's win at Liverpool – and insists that the Whites 'will fight to the end' as they battle against the Premier League drop.

The on-loan Southampton midfielder's first goal for the club secured a famous victory at Anfield and extended Fulham's unbeaten run away from home to eight matches. The Gabon internnational was delighted with his side's showing, which saw Scott Parker's side dominate the first half against the defending champions.

Lemina told Fulham's official website:

"We are going to fight until the end because we know where we are and we want to get out of the bottom three. From the beginning we have been together, and we will stay together until the end. Honestly, we are so happy. "We were like we must concentrate because it's gonna be a tough game.

"We did well in the first half and we scored a goal after which we didn't concede a goal. We could have it two, but I am very happy for the team for getting the three points. In my last game I missed a big chance and I was like I must score in this one and I was really focused on my shooting and when the ball went in, its good for the team.

"Of course, I know that Liverpool are not in their best form, we took our chance and we won. It was like the first leg at Cottage. Honestly, we knew what we had to do, we knew they were going to put pressure on us, and we defended so well."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/fulham-will-fight-to-the-end-says-lemina/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker desperate for Fulham to continue believing in their bid for Premier League survival as his side gained momentum in relegation battle by clinching statement victory at Liverpool

Fulham condemned Liverpool to a sixth-straight home league defeat on Sunday
    Mario Lemina's strike gave Fulham a vital three points in relegation battle
    Parker is desperate for Fulham to continue believing in their bid for survival

Scott Parker has challenged his Fulham squad to take the impetus from a landmark win after he heaped more problems on Jurgen Klopp.

Fulham are now level on points with Brighton thanks to Mario Lemina's first-half strike and are playing more compelling football than any of the other teams in the bottom six. The victory at Anfield characterised all the qualities Parker wants to see from his players.

Liverpool, Klopp admitted, were not good enough to deal with the challenges Fulham set and Parker wants this performance to be the barometer for the remainder of the campaign. He has urged his players to ignore what is going on at their rivals and focus on making themselves safe.

Scott Parker guided his Fulham side to a vital three points away at Liverpool on Sunday

A win like this galvanises, not that we needed it, or a result, to give us belief or an understanding of what we can do as it's constantly been there,' said Parker. 'What is happening around us, who we are dragging in, is irrelevant and remains to be the case. If we had taken any focus off us from the start of the season we wouldn't be in this position.

'It is about us wanting to get better and keep moving in the right direction and that will not change.

'The focus was to come here and get a result and cause Liverpool problems. I thought we did that, certainly in the first half. While results can give you that extra bit of belief this is a team which has real belief. We will carry on for the remainder of the season in the same vein.'

Mario Lemina's late first-half strike ensured the visitors ran out 1-0 winners at Anfield

Klopp was unable to explain how a team who were top of the table on Christmas Day now resemble a side gasping for breath. What they achieved in the past counts for nothing.

'We can't win the game because we won all the games before or because you want to win a game,' said Klopp. 'Believe me these boys want to but that doesn't work at the moment. That we don't score goals and concede one is enough.

'You can discuss whatever you want, I cannot. We don't have the mentality we are used to but the boys want to win games and I saw that. We still made mistakes and that's the problem. It's not that the boys want to make mistakes we just make them. We have to make sure the mistakes we make are not accountable.

'We have really tight results which always go against us. We have to make sure we win a game again. If it is 1-0 that is fine.'

Liverpool are in crisis mode, having lost six consecutive league matches at Anfield

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9336457/Scott-Parker-desperate-Fulham-continue-believing-Premier-League-relegation-battle.html

WhiteJC

Parker urges Fulham to maintain momentum

Scott Parker has urged his Fulham side to maintain the momentum provided by yesterday afternoon's superb win at Liverpool as their bid for survival reaches the season's final ten games.

The Londoners recorded only their second-ever success at Anfield thanks to a fine strike on the stroke of half-time from Mario Lemina. The narrow win extended Fulham's unbeaten away run to eight Premier League matches and the Whites now only remain in the bottom three on goal difference.

Parker has been insistent for some time that his side, who looked marooned in the drop zone at one stage of the season, had the quality to avoid relegation and Fulham's fine performances in February began to narrow the gap between themselves and safety. The Fulham boss is firmly focused on what is ahead of his side – telling the written press after a second win on Merseyside in a matter of weeks that he pays little attention to the results of relegation rivals.

"A win like this galvanises, not that we needed it, or a result, to give us belief or an understanding of what we can do as it's constantly been there. What is happening around us, who we are dragging in, is irrelevant and remains to be the case. If we had taken any focus off us from the start of the season we wouldn't be in this position.It is about us wanting to get better and keep moving in the right direction and that will not change.

"The focus was to come here and get a result and cause Liverpool problems. I thought we did that, certainly in the first half. While results can give you that extra bit of belief this is a team which has real belief. We will carry on for the remainder of the season in the same vein."

Fulham face league leaders Manchester City, whose run of 21 straight victories came to an end in their derby defeat by local rivals Manchester United yesterday, at Craven Cottage next Saturday night.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/parker-urges-fulham-to-maintain-momentum/

WhiteJC

Flawless Fulham execute Parker's plan to perfection

Monday mornings might not be particularly popular but if we were allowed to go anywhere, I'd imagine Fulham fans would have a spring in their step today. The Whites are inching their way towards safety and, as Harrison Reed implied at the tail end of his post-match interview, the rest of the Premier League is beginning to take notice. Most sides might win at Anfield these days – Liverpool's dizzying decline from the sublime heights of last season is shocking for its speed – but Scott Parker's side did so with a combination of style and steel that suggests this might not be the last big scalp they take this term.

Fulham's sense of adventure was evident from the off. The visitors set the tempo, clearly surprising a much-changed Liverpool outfit with the crispness of their early passing and a desire to land some early blows. Parker went with a 4-4-2, but it wasn't designed to contain the home side, and that enterprising approach should have been swiftly rewarded. Kenny Tete is a fine deliverer from the right flank and Josh Maja, who might have had a hat-trick inside the opening half an hour, fluffed a good opportunity when he went for a volley rather than with his head. The ease with which Maja ghosted between the Liverpool centre halves hinted at a profitable afternoon, but no-one could have forecast just how much joy Fulham would have.

Ademola Lookman scampered away from Neco Williams at will and it was frustrating that the winger was unable to find the target himself or fashion an assist for Maja. The ball down the left was a constant source of problems for Liverpool, but it was surprisingly just how straightforward outwitting Jurgen Klopp was for Parker. The German had lauded his opposite number as one of the country's brightest coaching talents in the run up to this fixture and then watched just how prophetic his words were, seemingly unable to alter the complexion of the contest until it was too late.

It was some achievement for Mario Lemina and Harrison Reed, who must be on Gareth Southgate's radar by now, to comprehensive win the midfield battle when they were at a numerical disadvantage, but Fulham held the upper hand in the possession statistics until fifty minutes into the match. They popped the ball around with purpose, too, taking advantage of a lack of Liverpool pressing – and, although Fulham should have been in front before Lemina's lovely mugging of Mo Salah and majestic finish, they did at least have a lead that reflected their superiority when Parker began a big half-time pep talk.

Liverpool certainly upped the intensity after the interval – but save for an athletic stop from Alphonse Areola to deny Diego Jota an equaliser of serious quality – Fulham weren't unduly tested until late in the peace. Much of that was down to the defensive structure that Parker, Matt Wells, Nathan Gardiner and Stuart Gray had drilled into the players (it rivalled a Hodgson outfit in terms of discipline), with Lemina and Reed getting through oceans of work at the heart of the midfield. The Gabonese international was everywhere, winning all of his aerial battles, regaining possession on ten occasions and playing smart passes. Reed's own emergence as more than just ballast in front of the back four has arguably been the story of this campaign – like Fulham, the flame-haired firefighter improves with every outing.

Liverpool's forward line barely made an impression until their desperate search for a leveller reached panic stations. Joachim Andersen was assured at the heart of Fulham's back four – he didn't lose a single header and, remarkably, won every tackle – as well as pinging passes out to the left with his usual pinpoint accuracy. Just when it looked like Andy Robertson might break our hearts by setting up a simple tap-in for Sadio Mane, the Danish defender stretched out a leg to divert the cross over his own crossbar. It was a masterful piece of defending. Tosin Adarabioyo was just as composed, completing seventeen clearances, heading away countless crosses and picking his passes through the lines in the manner that he has ever since he stepped into the starting line up at Sheffield United. That combination appears almost impregnable at the moment – the nine clean sheets could prove so pivotal come May. A word too on Ola Aina, whose consistency in any one of three defensive positions, is a joy to behold.

Much of the media's focus will be on Liverpool's alarming dip in form, but carving out these sorts of wins shows just how far Fulham have come. They created chances galore in the first half – there is still plenty of work to be done on the finishing in the days ahead – and didn't cave in, despite Kevin Friend unfathomably adding two more minutes of stoppage time to send our heart rates soaring further. This wasn't a backs-to-the-wall effort by a plucky no-hoper – Fulham thoroughly deserved all three points. Parker is already imploring his side to not rest on their laurels with Manchester City coming to the Cottage next Saturday night, but about the only thing you can predict with any certainty in this strange season is his team will never do that.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/flawless-fulham-execute-parkers-plan/

bog

Thanks for all this whitejc. I must say I did find it quite enjoyable to read.....esp the Carragher condemnation bit...... :005:

092.gif 

WhiteJC

Jack and Loz Not at the Cottage - Blog 171
Date: 7th March 2021

Opposition: Liverpool

Score: 0-1

Goal scorer: Mario Lemina

MOTM: we're not giving this to Lemina just because of the goal (although what a goal it was!) but because in a quest for redemption for the hand ball incident on Thursday he played his best game in a Fulham shirt. Shout out to Tosin who, after a few shaky games, was superb, easily containing the Mersey frogman, Mo Salah

Snacks: Loz - smoked salmon bagel, Jack - mini cup cakes

Not all points are equal. 3 points when you're fighting relegation are worth a lot more than 3 points when you're clear at the top of the league. 3 points when you're fighting relegation, away against the Champions, when your rivals are struggling around you are absolutely massive.

Although Liverpool are, indeed, the Champions they've been an unknown quantity lately and it was impossible to know what we were going to face - a fading side going gently into that good night or a rejuvenated, rampant team raging back up the table. Juergen Klopp - gritting his pearly white teeth - had picked an unusual lineup but this was Liverpool - all their lineups are good and all their players are world class.

But on Sunday they weren't good enough.

Don't listen to the pundits or the commentators - this wasn't Liverpool's loss, this was Fulham's victory. Scott Parker got his team selection, his tactics and his sartorial choices just right. His players - who clearly adore him (and aren't the only ones) - followed his instructions to the letter. This was a thoroughly professional performance from everyone - efficient, effective, as elegant as their manager himself.

Sometimes, the Fulham version of a Game of Two Halves is a a good half and a bad half. On Sunday it was a superb attacking half and a brilliant defensive half. In an afternoon where we were smashing stats all over the place, one of the best is that Fulham - yes, our Fulham, the one who can't score goals - had more shots at Anfield than any away team since 2000. Which is before most of this team started school.

Admittedly, a lot of those shots went the way of most Fulham shots but we were racing into the box to take them. The most common route was an inch perfect, furlong long pass from Andersen cross field to Lookman. We could watch those arching, spinning, dipping balls all day. Lookman controlled each one expertly but was, unfortunately, as wasteful as ever. Maja had a shot cleared off the line, we had a free kick which didn't quite work and some corners which were well delivered by Cav. In other words we were toying with Liverpool but couldn't make our hard work count.

Then we won a free kick in a useful position. Cav curled the ball in,

Liverpool cleared it but only as far as Lemina and Salah, tussling on the edge of the box. Lemina, as we have said, motivated by redemption, was having his best game of the season. We know how good he is defensively but now we saw what else he is capable of - a low, lethal, rifled shot right into the bottom corner. In the absence of a crowd his teammates celebrated like fans and Liverpool stumbled to half time.

We don't know much about American Football but we know that they have an Offence and a Deeeefence and the two switch around. Fulham also have an attacking unit and a defensive unit, except they're made up of the same 11 players. In the second half Liverpool looked dangerous and mounted a more or less continuous assault on the Fulham box. Klopp gnashed his teeth and threw on a few big names. They tried their trickery but ran into brick walls. They tried piling on the pressure but we just absorbed it.

Areola, in majestic command of his area, made a terrific save and Andersen, in absolute control of the defence, made an unbelievable clearance but most of the time we made defending against a free-scoring side look easy. Tosin, as we have already said, played with maturity and composure. Aina and Tete from rampaging forwards in the first half, looked comfortable defending in the second. The Lemina/Reed Axis of Tenacity was unassailable and Bobby was proving why he's a born again right back in his spare time.

After the enjoyable first half raced by the second ground on like lockdown, endless and nerve racking. We know one goal is rarely enough and Liverpool became more confident and searching as the game went on. The only outlet from the constant red press was an occasional ball hoofed forwards. Sometimes the forwards would chase it down. After the subs came on, they didn't even do that and the ball just came straight back. But every time we dealt with it. It wasn't so elegant at the end but it was always organised and always calm. Even in the six and half hours - sorry, minutes of extra time we didn't panic, or capitulate or deviate from the plan.

So, back to the man whose plan it was - Scott Parker looked suave and dashing at Anfield - ready for fine dining, Glyndebourne or trouncing his rivals in a relegation scrap. But our thoughtful, careful, understated, manager isn't about what he wears on the touch line . Scott is substance over style. We can see how hard he and the players work on the training pitch so they can bring all their skills and fitness on a match day. What we can't see is the ineffable team spirit which Scott has instilled in the players. Look at how they celebrated the goal - not playing to the cameras or an imaginary crowd - it was all about each other. And look at how they queued up to be hugged by Scott at the final whistle.

Football is war minus the shooting, said Orwell. Also, you don't quite have to put your life on the line in a football match. But for Scott Parker, the Fulham players would.

Random musings:-

- having seen what Mitro wears under his shorts a couple of games ago, on Sunday we got to see Maja's Big Pants

- for all our praise of Scott's 2021 Spring Collection, the jacket was a little snug

- presumably RLC has played so much recently that we are in credit for his minutes so he didn't have to start

- as for the plane with banner - really? Who spends their money on that?

- of all the away games to miss this is obviously the most disappointing so far, made worse for us by the fact we were at Anfield two years ago for Mitro's wrongly disallowed goal, Liverpool's cheating response and Slav's last game.

Frankly, it is hard to take in what happened in Liverpool and what this team is achieving. We have gone from certain relegation to winning at Anfield. We are getting used to the flawless performances, to a procession of clean sheets but we're not yet used to getting the results we deserve. But now they are coming.

A word to the wise despite the euphoria, though - as massive as those 3 points are, we are still 18th. We still don't score enough goals and, however much we want to think the opposite, no team is too good to go down.

But our Fulham team has gone from chaotic, to solid, to unlucky to amazing. There are ten games left. We are still fighting to survive. But who would bet against us now?

https://werdsmith.com/p/SF8xJaP24MkBb