watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ola Aina Appreciation Thread

Started by FFC In Oz, March 08, 2021, 02:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC In Oz

When it was confirmed that we had loaned Aina, I wasn't too excited about the signing (I don't think many of us were).  From all reports he was a talented enough player who could play at either full back spot, or on either wing at a pinch as well.

For that reason, I thought we were signing a versatile "squad player" who was a valuable option to have off the bench because of his ability to cover most wide positions.  How wrong I was...

After a shaky start in his first few games he has grown in to one of our most consistent players. 

Play him anywhere.  Central defender in a back 3? No problems.  Left back? No problems.  Right back? No problems.

His level of performance is the same no matter which position he plays for us.  Such a solid acquisition. 

He obviously won't get the accolades of the likes of Andersen or Areola, but my word he has been a shrewd pick up.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Andyb

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Andyb on March 08, 2021, 02:13:23 PM
Available for 5m isn't he?

I think it was 11m from memory, but if we stay up that's a no brainer.

twang

Totally agree. The improvement he has made since his horror debut is surreal.

Quote from: Andyb on March 08, 2021, 02:13:23 PM
Available for 5m isn't he?

It was reported that the permanent option is around £11m.

FulhamStu

Yes, he has got better and better.  Strange how these things happen to footballers.  Some go through really poor patches and you think wow he is rubbish.  I watched Toney play for Shrewsbury a lot and he was bang average in div1.  Mitro form, at Newcastle, then for us and now for us.  Going way back, Ray Houghton, came to us coz West Ham didn't rate him, went on to play for Liverpool and be one of the best players in the country.  Confidence, fitness, being right for a team, good/poor coaching, home environment, many things come into play.  He is an Odoi but a Premier Quality one for sure.

jayffc

TK, marmite as he appears to be, has done unbelievably well replacing our entire defence this year. How many clubs can say that in any given window they have replaced every single position of the back 5 and upgraded, hugely, every single one.

Aina and Tete, massive upgrades at RB and Ainas ability to play LB means hes a big upgrade on Bryan, with Robinson also providing plenty of quality (bar crossing) out there too. Then these CB's Anderson and Tosin, easily the best CB partnership since H & H.....and THEN you have Areola....WHAT a keeper he is, another ridiculous save yesterday. That really is a quite astonishing hit rate. And on top of that IF kongolo get's fit (and yes that currently seems a big if) He also could yet turn out to be a great backup. God I hope we stay up, really want to keep as much of this team together as possible as if we can start scoring more (which could just be a confidence thing) we really can start looking up again!

HillingdonFFC

Goes massively under the radar , he's turning out to be a top signing. Does a job, & very good one at that, where ever he's picked

Whitesideup

One of the things he does very well is his one-on-one defending. He holds players up very well. It might not look dramatic but it's a key quality especially for a full-back as forwards are getting faster and trickier. Often it won't involve a tackle but will slow down an attack allowing other defenders to get into place. He stays close enough to prevent easy crosses, and has the pace and strength to resist being outrun.

Even if we are relegated, we need players of premier league quality in our squad. Firstly to get promotion and then to re-establish ourselves as a premier league side. Wolves squad in the Championship had exactly that kind of quality so they won the Championship comfortably and did well on their return to the top flight.

I agree with the post and for whatever division at £11m he is a buy.

perry geyton

Brilliant player definately makes my top 5 In thIs  current team

roberto w6

Aina has only won me over recently. For so long this season I thought he was our weakest link.
He's done excellently at LB, that's where I prefer him.
I would definitely keep Robinson and Bryan in the squad, they can both play further forward on the left and I'd have no problem with either deputising at LB or indeed for Lookman in a more attacking role

Fernhurst

I'm a convert also, his performances settling in were not great, however, he has really grown on me. Some of the stuff he gets away with now is frankly cheeky.

Good luck with the rest of your time with FFC Ola.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

AJW48361

Done well looks to have a great attitude to the game. Must admit he looked a liability first few games.

Milo

Sell Mawson, Knockaert, Johansen etc and spend money making Aina permanent.

JackHamlet90

We stay up he signs full time which is a good thing very underrated & versatile. Classy player

Craven Mad

He's immense in every position he plays. He has no right to be so good in so many positions! It's a no brainer to keep him if we stay up

Also, he scored our goal of the season so far IMO.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Craven Mad on March 09, 2021, 06:26:56 AM
He's immense in every position he plays. He has no right to be so good in so many positions! It's a no brainer to keep him if we stay up

Also, he scored our goal of the season so far IMO.

He's the new Bairdinho!

That goal against WBA was our best for the season I agree.  Though that team goal where Lookman played Aina in on the overlap and squared it for Maja was one of our best "team goals"

filham

Aina i is looking very good, long may it continue.

fcfulham55

Unsung hero, a rapid version of Chris Baird.

Ordinary to extraordinary!

His peformance in the game V brentford in the Disney cup till now is light years apart.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Maidstone Lee

He got off to a shaky start and I must admit I wasn't that keen. Have been totally won round by his performances and desire to play for the team. Really hope we make his loan permanent at the end of the season.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19