more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 10/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 10, 2021, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Are Newcastle screwed? The relegation battle examined

Newcastle are nowhere near as good as Fulham right now. That's the uncomfortable truth.

Some of you may be familiar with the 'hypnic jerk'. And I don't mean Derren Brown or Paul McKenna. It's that falling sensation you feel when you're going to sleep, like you are dropping off a kerb. I had a similar experience on Sunday while watching Fulham beat Liverpool. As Mario Lemina rifled in the winner I was overcome by what can only be described as an acute sinking sensation.

As a Newcastle fan my overriding emotion on Sunday should have been one of despondency; after all, Fulham are just one point behind us now. Instead, in the aftermath I was left envious of the Cottagers and their formidable will to survive. If Fulham complete their great escape, it will be glaringly obvious how they did it. They're well up for it. Sir Alex Ferguson famously said that "attack wins you games, defence wins you titles". Scott Parker has successfully adopted that philosophy with survival their own title.

The Cottagers' recent defensive record is outstanding, conceding just seven goals in their last ten outings. Relegation rivals Newcastle have shipped 17 over the same period. They may be watertight now, but Fulham's recent defensive performances are in sharp contrast to their leaky start to the season. After conceding ten goals in their opening three matches many media commentators, including yours truly, wrote them off as relegation fodder.

Then, one night in December it seemed Parker had finally solved the defensive puzzle. His side's battling 1-1 draw at home to Sunday's opponents Liverpool triggered a sequence of positive results that created a foundation for the team to grow. They now had a blueprint for survival.

Both Kenny Tete and Tosin Adarabioyo impressed on Sunday, but stand-in captain and man of the match Joachim Andersen has been integral to their resurgence. When Fulham signed him on loan from Lyon in October they knew they were getting a player with pedigree, but also a player who was a little low on confidence.

He enjoyed a very impressive breakthrough 2018/19 season with Sampdoria, but many an eyebrow was raised at the Β£22.5m fee Lyon forked out for him in the summer of 2019. That price tag was a lot of pressure heaped on a 22-year-old with just one full season of top-flight football under his belt. He didn't settle in France and would have seen a potential move to England as an opportunity to prove a point to his parent club. Thanks to Parker's faith in the central defender, he's proving it and then some.

Parker himself is of course the key element in maintaining Fulham's momentum. The safe money was on his premature departure after the opening to the season his team endured. What a stunning turnaround it has been. He has found a structure that makes them very hard to break down. But even more importantly, he has instilled a belief that they are, to a man, Premier League players.

If there's one area that could be Fulham's undoing it is of course their goalscoring record. They have netted just 22 times the season and have only scored more than the all-but-doomed West Brom and Sheffield United. Forwards Aleksandar Mitrović (2), Bobby Decordova-Reid (5), Ivan Cavaleiro (3), Ademola Lookman (4) and recent signing Josh Maja (2), have scored a paltry 16 goals between them this campaign.

Despite their failings in front of goal, it is indeed hard to bet against Fulham retaining their Premier League status. But at whose expense will their survival be?

I'll leave The Magpies until last because I'd rather you kept reading this...so I'll begin with the team I deem the least likely to go down – Burnley.

I won't entertain the notion of the Clarets going down for a second; they have far too much nous about them. In an era where we've become so obsessed with playing a certain way, they're a constant reminder that there are other ways to do it, and on a budget no less.

Playing out from the back, stretching the opponent, high press, circulation of possession, positional interchange, full-backs functioning as wingers. That's all well and good, but there are still plenty of fans out there who have a soft spot for what Burnley represent. They're an echo, a remnant from a time when squads were limited by the geographical boundaries of the land they inhabited.

Year after year they grind it out. Yes there will be a few blips along the way. We may question their squad depth, their tactics, even their manager. But they always find a way to rally each other. Perhaps it's knowing you're the underdog, that everyone rates your ability, your worth, less than your opponent's. That might be all the motivation you need.

Ironically it is their transfer policy and budget that has ultimately created this resilience. Buying home-grown is bound to create deeper bonds between the players along cultural lines. Their recent results have seen them lose just once in their last seven fixtures – far from relegation form. Yes, I can say with some confidence, Burnley have enough know-how to avoid the drop.

So to another of the relegation candidates – Graham Potter's Brighton.

It's not unusual for a relegation-threatened side to struggle in front of goal, but Brighton's attacking issues have been that much more pronounced by the sheer volume of chances they have failed to convert. They rank ninth in the league for big chances created (34), seventh in the league for shots per 90 mins (13.2) and seventh for big chances missed (33). And who could forget their crushing loss to Crystal Palace after dominating the Londoners for the whole match?

Despite their failings in front of goal the south-coasters have impressed for large parts of the season and would be enjoying a comfortable end to it if Maupay and Co. were firing. They're certainly easy on the eye and have become one of my favourite teams to watch. High-energy
performances, crisp passing and lots of movement between the lines – yes please.

Along with Newcastle they're probably the favourites to go down, but their points tally in no way reflects their performances. Seagulls fans have plenty to be hopeful about. If they could only find a way to score, I think they are a far better equipped side than Newcastle to avoid the drop.

So, to the north-east and my beloved Newcastle – my cross to bear. I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but when they guy sitting next to you is also a Newcastle fan, well, you get the picture. I'm sure fans of other clubs are sick to death of hearing us moan about our perceived entitlement. I hear you, I'm just as fed up of talking about it. This short verse sums it all up:

Attackers that can't score,
defenders who don't defend,
a manger no-one wanted ,
and an owner who won't spend.

Given the danger we're in I'm sure any fan would have been raging at the lacklustre performance against West Brom, but I'm afraid I have become utterly numb to our mediocrity. There is even a small part of me, the self-destructive part, that wants us to go down in the hope that some positive cultural change could come as a result.

But we've been down that road before, and it didn't make an iota of difference. A week or so after the relegation in 2016 I recall thinking it might actually do us some good. We could win the Championship with Rafa at the helm, easy. Then return to the top flight refreshed, with a new winning mentality at the club. What the hell was I smoking?

If I'm being totally honest we're lucky to have the points total we have. I think back to the 2-1 win at home against Everton in November and wonder how on earth we came away with the points. It's tragic, but, that is our hope – that we will somehow stumble our way through the relegation fight as we have done all season.

With so many deep-rooted issues, not to mention the recent injuries to key players Callum Wilson, Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin, it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel. My heart prays they'll find a way, but my head knows better.

Looking ahead, what impact will the fixture list have?

Burnley will face daunting opponents in Man United, Liverpool, West Ham and Everton. Fulham still have to play Man United, Chelsea and Man City. Brighton and Newcastle may have the worst run-ins though. The Seagulls have games against Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Everton and West Ham, while the Toon face Spurs, Man City, Leicester, Liverpool and West Ham.#

Crucially, a lot of the teams still have to face each other. Burnley host Newcastle in April, and then travel to face Fulham in May. Brighton play Newcastle at home in a fortnight. But the biggest clash may come on the last day of the season, when Fulham and Newcastle face off at Craven Cottage. Assuming we're still in it by then.

At the risk of becoming a bit melodramatic about by team's potential demise allow me to simply conclude by asking you: Who do you think is going down?

https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-fulham-brighton-burnley-relegation-feature

WhiteJC

Fulham's resurgence: how Scott Parker is engineering the unthinkable in West London

It took Fulham 10 games to get their first win against an opponent other than those promoted with them from the Championship. Then another three to get their first clean sheet using the same parameter.

Following a swift – and deserved – return to the Premier League for the Whites, the top-flight teams showed no mercy. A total of 10 goals were shipped over their first three games and the Cottagers haven't been higher than 17th since.

You dig a little deeper and realise that those results – and ensuing form – came as no surprise. Just three games into the season and six of Fulham's starting 11 names had changed from their 1-1 draw with Wigan on their final day in the Championship. Fast forward to their breathtaking win at Anfield on the weekend – which means they are undefeated against the Champions this season – and they had eight different starters. An adjustment period was both inevitable and necessary.

With 26 points after 28 games, they sit equal with Brighton & Hove Albion and just one behind Newcastle, albeit both clubs have a game in hand. With the latter due to play Fulham on the season's last day, it could be the game to watch. However, both Newcastle and Brighton have a combined two wins from their last 12 fixtures, compared to Fulham's three from their previous six matches.

It's the form that Scott Parker's men have produced that has them tipped to survive the drop. And, if they did, it would not be a fortunate escape. Parker has stuck to his guns, kept his philosophy while being malleable with his formation and squad selection. Showing that Fulham have the flexibility, depth and intellect to be a consistent Premier League side. They now have five clean sheets from their previous seven games, which shows that something is working. This isn't a squad that is meant for relegation.

This is not to say that an ill run of luck has kept them from challenging for the title. But, if they are to avoid a second relegation in three seasons, they could cause some serious problems next season. With the youngest manager and the second-youngest average starting XI in the league, survival could be the foundation for another shot at Europe in the years to come.

https://90maat.com/fulhams-resurgence-how-scott-parker-is-engineering-the-unthinkable-in-west-london/

WhiteJC

How does our run-in compare with the teams we're chasing?
Colm takes a look at Fulham's run-in compared to the teams just above them.

Just five weeks ago things looked bleak. Brighton had just beaten Spurs and Liverpool within four days to go 10 points clear of the relegation zone. We were eight points from safety, albeit with a game in hand on Newcastle, and it was hard to see where the wins were going to come from. But football is a funny old game and things change quickly. Since then, Brighton haven't won a game and we've only lost one, amid victories over Everton, Sheffield United and Liverpool. Now with 10 games left, we're only in the relegation zone by virtue of goal difference and we're closing in on the teams around us. But how do our run-ins compare?

The Cottagers
We have the unenviable task of taking on four of the traditional 'Big six' in our last 10 games. We take on Manchester City at home next Saturday, Arsenal, and Chelsea at the end of April, both away, and Manchester United away on the penultimate day of the season. However, the way we're playing and with our record away from home I wouldn't be writing off any of those games just yet. In between those are games that are much more winnable. We take on Aston Villa away from home, in between two home games against Leeds and Wolves where wins are very possible. We also take on Burnley at home and Southampton away just before the Man United game, and of course there's then Newcastle in what could be a 'winner takes all' final game of the season at the Cottage.

The Seagulls
Brighton have a similar run-in to us in that they take on the same four from the 'Big six' before the season is out. The play Man United and Chelsea, both away, in April, and they finish the season off with Man City at home and Arsenal away on the last two days of the season. However, throw into the mix Champions League-battling Everton at home in April and high-flying West Ham at home in May and Brighton may have a slightly tougher schedule than us. They also take on Southampton away and Newcastle at home in their next two games where points are very possible. They will also target their three games in late April, early May to pick up some points as they take on Sheffield United away, Leeds at home and Wolves away.

The Magpies
Newcastle also take on four of the 'Big six'. Spurs come to Tyneside in April, while Newcastle travel to Merseyside later that month to take on Liverpool. That's followed by Arsenal in St. James Park, while Manchester City also travel to Newcastle in May. Also, in May they travel to Leicester to take on the team that currently sit third in the league, and they face another tough game when they welcome Europe-chasing West Ham in April. Before all of that though, they take on Aston Villa at home next Friday. Newcastle have the bonus, however, of playing four of the teams involved in the relegation battle in big six-pointers. They take on Brighton at the AmEx in March and Burnley at Turf Moor three weeks later. They then finish their season off by hosting Sheffield United and traveling to Craven Cottage for the last two games of the season.

The Clarets
Arguably the easiest run-in of any of the relegation-threatened teams falls to Burnley. They only have two of the "Big six" left to play. They travel to Old Trafford to meet Manchester United in April, while they welcome Liverpool to Turf Moor on the penultimate day of the season. Their next game however is against current Top six member, Everton, at Goodison Park while they take on on-the-up West Ham in May. Southampton away in April is a game they'll expect points from, while they take on Wolves away and Leeds at home in April and May. They have three relegation six-pointers when they play Newcastle at home in April, Fulham away in May and finish off the season against Sheffield United away on the last day of the season.

Looking at these run-ins there's not a lot to choose between them, so I expect a lot more twists and turns before the end of the campaign. While we might not have the easiest schedule out of the relegation-threatened teams, we certainly don't have the toughest either. And there's always that potential final day showdown...

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-03-09-how-does-our-run-in-compare-with-the-teams-were-chasing/

WhiteJC

How the Manchester Derby may have helped save Newcastle's season

Looking at the schedule, last week was set to be a defining moment in Newcastle United's season. The Magpies had relegation-bound West Brom on Sunday before Fulham were set to face Liverpool at Anfield.

Newcastle United came away with one point from a disappointing draw vs. the Baggies and Fulham earned a well-deserved three points in their upset win vs. Liverpool. But, could a different Premier League result on Sunday prove to be an x-factor in the relegation battle?

Following both Newcastle and Fulham's matches that day, Manchester United took on Manchester City at the Etihad. Pep Guardiola's side had won 21 consecutive matches entering the Manchester Derby.

But, it was Man Utd that took all three points in the rivalry fixture. Bruno Fernandes converted a penalty and Luke Shaw added the insurance goal in the 2-0 victory for the Red Devils.

Manchester United's big win over Manchester City could actually boost Newcastle's chances of survival.

Obviously, neither of these clubs are near the relegation battle, so how does this result impact Newcastle's chance of EPL survival?

Fulham face Manchester City on Saturday. If City had cruised to yet another win vs. United, they could have entered the Fulham match complacent. But, they will want to bounce back in a big way after losing and that doesn't bode well for Scott Parker's side. While Fulham are in good form right now, there aren't many teams in the world that can beat a motivated, focused Manchester City.

Newcastle will need to take care of business vs. Aston Villa, but we are comfortably to the point in the season when "scoreboard watching" will come into play with relegation rivals like Fulham or Brighton and Hove Albion. With Fulham set to face an angry, league-leading club, that bodes well for Steve Bruce & Co.

https://newcastletoons.com/2021/03/09/manchester-derby-may-helped-save-newcastles/

WhiteJC

Playing Manchester City At Right Time, We'll Look For Win – Fulham Legend

Fulham legend Tony Gale believes Cottagers boss Scott Parker will look to back his side's win at Liverpool with a victory over Manchester City and is hopeful that facing the Citizens ahead of a Champions League game will aid them in their cause.

The London-based club received a major boost in the relegation battle as they beat Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday and will be looking to build on it when they face Manchester City this weekend.

Looking ahead to the game, Fulham legend Gale has admitted that the Citizens are in a much better position than the Reds and it will be a tough game for the Cottagers, but feels Parker will still look to win.

The Englishman stressed the importance of momentum in football and is confident that Fulham have that drive going into their game against the table-toppers.

Gale is also hopeful that facing Manchester City ahead of their Champions League match against Borussia Monchengladbach will aid Fulham in their cause.

"Manchester City are next up at the Cottage and that will be a tough one, because if they rest seven players then they've got seven players of equal ability who can come in", Gale wrote on Fulham's official site.

"They're in a much better place than Liverpool are.

"They'll want to give a response after losing to United, but hopefully Southampton are the ones to feel the brunt of that on Wednesday!

I'm confident that the lads will play well.

"Momentum is everything in football, and we've got it.

"To get a point on Saturday would be great, but you just know Scott will be going after all three.

"I've always said that it's always best to play these teams in Champions League weeks.

"That proved to be the case at Anfield and hopefully it will be the same this weekend, with City playing Borussia Monchengladbach a few days later."

Pep Guardiola's side will be looking to bounce back from their defeat to Manchester United when they host Southampton on Wednesday before travelling to Craven Cottage this weekend.

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/03/09/playing-manchester-city-at-right-time-well-look-for-win-fulham-legend/497871/

WhiteJC

Liverpool urged to consider Fulham defender, by Don Hutchison

Don Hutchison has told Optus Sport's The Weekend Review that Liverpool should be looking at Fulham defender and stand-in captain Joachim Andersen this summer – with the Danish centre-back only on loan at Fulham from Lyon.

Andersen, 24, joined Fulham in the summer on a dry loan – without a permanent clause included in the contract. Despite being in the relegation zone, the one-time Denmark international has helped Fulham keep eight clean sheets in 22 league games.

Combining with ex-Manchester City star Tosin Adarabioyo, Andersen has excelled in the Premier League. His strength, aerial ability and technique on the ball has caught the eye – with the former Sampdoria man becoming renowned for his long balls.

Signed by Lyon for Β£21million (LWOS), Andersen is likely to have convinced Lyon to give him another chance. Whether Fulham can sign him remains to be seen, while Hutchison believe his efforts might tempt other Premier League teams – like Liverpool.
"What a player he is, what a leader. He's got a great range of passing. If you're Andersen now, take Liverpool for example, the way he's been playing this season – you'd be looking at him as a potential signing," Hutchison said, on Andersen.

TBR's view – Andersen would improve Liverpool's options

Where Liverpool failed this season, is that when Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez became injured – the drop off from the quality of those two to their next available options is enormous. That remains, despite signing two players in January.

Joel Matip is nowhere near as good, and while Fabinho and Jordan Henderson have done their best – they simply are not centre-backs. Liverpool need a centre-back that can be first reserve, but is of similar quality to Gomes and van Dijk.

Andersen could be that and judging by his Fulham games, he would be an excellent replacement. However, would he be happy to be a back-up? Or should he be looking to play for a side where he is first choice? An interesting summer lies ahead for the Dane.

TransferMarkt say Andersen is represented by the same agency as Rhys Williams, Ben Woodburn and Caomihin Kelleher.

https://tbrfootball.com/liverpool-urged-to-consider-fulham-defender-by-don-hutchison/

WhiteJC

The 4 Newcastle United fixtures that will determine our fate

There are still 11 Newcastle United fixtures remaining this season.

Whilst unbeaten in the last two matches, the draws against Wolves and West Brom have given little cause for optimism for fans.

Many fans have already written Newcastle off and can you blame them?

Currently sitting in 16th place, just one point above the drop zone, with a game in hand; a difficult fixture away to Liverpool.

However, I believe that whether we are relegated or not won't be defined by Newcastle United fixtures against those in the top half of the league. Instead, we need to beat those around us.

In these last 11 games, NUFC have four games against those in and around the trap door; away to Brighton, away to Burnley, home to Sheffield United, then away to Fulham on the final day of the season.

If we can get positive results in these fixtures, I believe they would be just enough alone to guarantee our safety.

However, given what we all had to suffer through on Sunday, away to West Brom, this will be a big ask.

With Wilson, Almiron and Saint-Maximin injured until further notice, Newcastle struggled to carve any real chances at the Hawthorns. The attacking trio of Joelinton, Willock and Fraser were toothless in their forward play and didn't cause many problems for the West Brom defence, apart from a couple of breakaways in the first 10 minutes.

The sooner Wilson, Almiron and Saint-Maximin return to fitness, the better.

The Brighton game on Saturday 20 March will come too soon for the trio, as they aren't due to return until April at the earliest.

Bruce will be hoping that they are fit enough to return to the squad for the Spurs game on the weekend of Saturday 3 April, and failing that, for the journey to Turf Moor the following week.

Newcastle's recent form suggests that by that point, there could be a far pressing need for their assistance in the relegation struggle.

Then we have the intriguing pair of Newcastle United fixtures at the very end, Sheffield United and Fulham in the final two games of the season.

Sheffield United will most likely already be relegated by this point, this lack of pressure though sometimes has a positive effect on the team.

Just think back to our 5-1 win over Spurs in 2016. Our relegation had already been confirmed prior to the final game of the season and we blew them away, despite going down to ten men.

Whilst Sheffield United may not have this pressure, the return of Wilson, Saint-Maximin, and Almiron gives me confidence that we will have more than enough to get the three points in the penultimate game of the season.

Where this will leave us going into the final fixture remains to be seen.

Our fate may have already been decided beforehand but many fans believe that it is our destiny to take it to the wire, with the visit to Craven Cottage to be our relegation decider.

On paper, with key players available, Newcastle should have enough to get a positive result here, but Fulham are a team with momentum who are proving very difficult to beat (only four defeats in their last sixteen PL matches). This was further backed by their 1-0 away win at Anfield over the weekend.

The thought of Mitrovic or ex-Mackem Maja sending us down for a team managed by ex-Mag Scott Parker is a very disturbing one indeed.

When Wilson, Saint-Maximin and Almiron return, Newcastle have an attacking trio who can cause most Premier League defences problems. Who knows, perhaps we, like Fulham, can earn one or two victories that no one saw coming against the better teams?

What is apparent at the moment is that out of all of the teams in the relegation battle, Newcastle look the least likely to find a winning formula; just two wins in the last 18 games (all competitions) doesn't fill you with much optimism.

Whilst you can look at other teams' run-ins and hope theirs prove more difficult than ours, the folly of relying on that in any way was proved this weekend gone. Steve Bruce celebrating a point at West Brom, only for Fulham's win at Liverpool to make it little cause for any celebration.

Newcastle's fate is still in our hands and the Magpies have to 'accumulate' enough points under their own steam, rather than anxiously watching and hoping for dropped points elsewhere.

As things stand, matching or beating the points tallies of Brighton and Fulham across the remainder of the season, will mean NUFC still playing Premier League football next term.

Those four remaining Newcastle United fixtures against other sides in the bottom six look to hold the key to survival, the biggest question of all is whether Steve Bruce can manage to fit that key in the lock.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/03/the-4-newcastle-united-fixtures-that-will-determine-our-fate/

WhiteJC

The West Brom, Newcastle, Brighton & Fulham fixtures that will decide relegation

What comes after this weekend, will be especially telling; it's do or die for Albion

Time is against West Brom.

Indeed, the recent results against Everton and Newcastle, which bore no goals and a single point, have been the results that have made many an Albion supporter's mind up.

Still, until that red 'R' is next to their name in the league table, the Baggies must continue in the same vein as they have done recently - hopefully with more of an end product to point towards.

These coming weeks will effectively decide which division the club are competing in next season, so it's imperative that they claim as many positive results as they can - beginning with the trip to Crystal Palace.

While relegation is a fate that you ultimately deserve over the course of 38 games, if you suffer it, you'd still like one or two favours from clubs clear of danger who can keep those same sides positioned in the relegation scrap.

Brighton, Newcastle and Burnley would be the three obvious sides that Albion can conceivably still catch, as long a shot as that seems at this moment, yet the gap remains a substantial one as we swing round the final bend for home.

Form

Newcastle: DDLLW

Brighton: LLLDD

Fulham: WLDWD

Albion: DLWDD

Sheffield United: LWLLL

Sheffield United, who had put a couple of wins together - including against Albion - appear to have just too much of a gap to claw back now. They're four points adrift of Albion.

What comes after this weekend, though, will be especially telling; it's do or die for Albion now.

Here is a look at the table in its current guise and how the immediate run of fixtures for each side at bottom compares to Albion's.

The current table
Team Β Β Β Pld Β Β Β GD Β Β Β Pts
15 Β Β Β Burnley Β Β Β 28 Β Β Β -16 Β Β Β 30
16 Β Β Β Newcastle Β Β Β 27 Β Β Β -17 Β Β Β 27
17 Β Β Β Brighton Β Β Β 27 Β Β Β -8 Β Β Β 26
18 Β Β Β Fulham Β Β Β 28 Β Β Β -11 Β Β Β 26
19 Β Β Β ALBION Β Β Β 28 Β Β Β -36 Β Β Β 18
20 Β Β Β Sheffield United Β Β Β 28 Β Β Β -29 Β Β Β 14

Newcastle
Fixtures: Villa (H), Brighton (A), Tottenham (H), Burnley (A), West Ham (H)

Newcastle have had problems on the training ground that have been publicised of late and Steve Bruce has had injuries to key players to deal with, but they picked up a point in the grim draw with Albion last time out and that keeps the gap between themselves and the Baggies to nine points.

They've crucial trips to Brighton and Burnley coming up on the horizon, but first of all it's a reunion for Bruce with Aston Villa.

Brighton
Fixtures: Southampton (A), Newcastle (H), Man United (A), Everton (H), Chelsea (A)

A side who appeared to be clear of danger, Brighton have not won in five and have lost their last three league games straight - including against Albion - and it's a run that has left them on level points with Fulham, remarkably.

All of a sudden they've been leapfrogged by Newcastle and are in as much of a relegation battle as any other side down there.

Graham Potter's team have a south coast derby with Southampton and then a key game against Newcastle to come on the horizon.

Fulham
Fixtures: Man City (H), Leeds (H), Villa (A), Wolves (H), Arsenal (A)

Fulham are a side who will really fancy themselves to stay up from here after their recent revival. The Cottagers under Scott Parker have won twice on Merseyside recently and have also seen off Sheffield United at home.

They've also been claiming draws when they've not been able to win, including at Palace and Albion.

Still, their immediate run of fixtures appears daunting.

Albion
Fixtures: Palace (A), Chelsea (A), Southampton (H), Leicester (A), Villa (A)

Albion have to beat Palace really. It's that simple. The welcoming of free falling Southampton - their only home game in the next five league games - is also looking like another must win, because around that they've got tricky away games against sides well above them in the top half.

Beyond that, they've also got Leeds, Wolves, Arsenal and Liverpool, too, so it's not the easiest of run-ins as Allardyce's men plot the greatest of escapes.

Sheffield United
Fixtures: Leicester (A), Leeds (A), Arsenal (H), Wolves (A), Brighton (H)

The Blades are now surely staring a return to Championship football square in the face after the defeat to Southampton at the weekend.

They'd still need around 22 points from their remaining 10 games to be even remotely in the mix.

Still, the Blades could have a big say on who joins them in the second tier next year - they play Brighton, Newcastle and Burnley before the season is out.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brom-newcastle-fulham-brighton-relegation-19801799

WhiteJC

"I just took the pen and signed" – Striker explains Fulham was 'ideal' club for him, 'has to' reach personal goal next year

For those Fulham fans who solely follow the first-team, the name Jean-Pierre TiΓ©hi might not mean much right now, but it's certainly one they could hear in the near future.

Aged 19, the striker is currently with the club's U23s, where he features on a regular basis in the Premier League 2, scoring eight goals in 16 appearances as well as picking up an assist.

This form has certainly gone a long way in getting him noticed at the club, who were quick to jump on the opportunity to sign him in 2018 from Le Havre's youth system.

Interviewed by We Sport in France, the young striker was asked about this decision to swap France for England, and whether it was a difficult one.

He said: "Yes, of course, but I think it's one that needs to be done. You shouldn't be scared to take risks. Football is a risk sport, and I told myself the project was there and the choice was quickly done, in the sense that in my head I wanted to play in England. So Fulham was ideal, the club gave me its trust, I spoke to the manager and the board before. It wasn't a difficult choice, really.

"It's a club I knew from the past, and I saw there was an opportunity for me to go to this team so I wasn't afraid of the risk. Maybe I was a bit naive to tell myself that, but at that point, I didn't think about it. I just took the pen and signed. Without regret".

Fulham had been after him since he was 13 or 14, as per the player himself, and he explained that 'when they saw I didn't sign with Le Havre, they saw the opportunity'.

Choosing the Cottagers as a 'strategic choice', hinting he saw a clearer route to the first-team, TiΓ©hi adapted rather quickly thanks to some French speaking professional members, and is now with the U23s after two years with the U18s.

He's just one step away from Scott Parker's squad, which he describes as a 'dream', as that would mean he would get to play in the Premier League.

TiΓ©hi finished the interview by saying: "The goal is to start to shine at the top level. It's the objective I've set myself, to reach it this season if possible. I've already trained with the first-team. Nothing is done, but I'm working hard for that, it's the aim. I really have to reach it next year if I want to become what I aspire to become".

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-just-took-pen-signed-striker-explains-fulham-ideal-club-reach-personal-goal-next-year/

WhiteJC

I just spoke to a Fulham fan on Newcastle, Bruce & the relegation battle – Must-read comments

Fulham may be below us in the table as things stand, but everything about them now screams of a side who are both capable and confident of survival.

Given how desperate the mood is on Tyneside, with so many of us now resigned to relegation, I reached out to Fulham fan James Redpath to get a view from South London on the battle for survival, Steve Bruce and the contrasting directions both sides are currently heading in.

Here's what he had to say in our chat on all of the above:

Q1: After results went your way over the weekend, we are now the favourites to go down along with West Brom and Sheffield United. Would you agree with the bookies on that one?

Β  Β  "In a word – yes.

Β  Β  "We are now turning good performances into good results. Meanwhile, you have had a few promising displays since the new coach came in to help Bruce but that hasn't resulted in many points.

Β  Β  "The West Brom game isn't an example of that as I watched it and you were awful and could've easily lost in the end, but I saw you play some decent stuff against the likes of Palace, Wolves and Man Utd...yet you came away with no wins to show for it.

Β  Β  "That was us a few months ago but now the roles have reversed and we have momentum.

Β  Β  "I also feel like our players are stepping up when it matters. Areola is a top goalkeeper, Andersen has galvanised or defence, our midfield is full of energy and the likes of Lookman and Loftus-Cheek give us dynamism in attack.

Β  Β  "We don't have a 15-goal striker like you do in Callum Wilson, but it feels like we have a plan, a hunger and belief – and that trumps the odd bit of individual brilliance Bruce seems to rely on."

Q2: What do you make of Steve Bruce, the fact he's still in a job and his ability to save us from relegation up against an inexperienced but hungry Scott Parker?

Β  Β  "I saw a stat over the weekend saying you've won just two games in your last 18 games.

Β  Β  "That in itself didn't shock me as you've been abysmal from the festive period onwards...but the fact Bruce is still in a job after such a disastrous run of form did!

Β  Β  "One thing that stands out about Scotty Parker is his unwavering belief in his players, his passion and confidence that we will find a way out of this.

Β  Β  "The players bounce off that and our recent form proves why he's always remained confident.

Β  Β  "On the flip side, I look at Steve Bruce and hear him throwing his players under the bus after games, talking up the opposition not his own players, being in the centre of 'bust-ups' and seeming pretty content with a point at West Brom just hours before we went an got all three at Anfield!

Β  Β  "Sorry to say this, but every time I hear him speak, I feel more confident Fulham will stay up at your expense."

Q3: Based on upcoming fixtures and the other clubs still in and around the relegation battle, do you think there's a chance we both survive?

Β  Β  "For me, Brighton are the only team who might just crumble.

Β  Β  "People keep saying how good they are to watch, but they're like we were not long ago...playing nicely but not picking up points!

Β  Β  "I think they might follow in our footsteps and quickly turn those performances into big results, but with Southampton and Newcastle their next two fixtures, it may be a case of now or never before their confidence levels implode.

Β  Β  "As for us, we've been boosted by recent results but I'm still wary of the fact Newcastle have a game in hand.

Β  Β  "We also play Man City next. I expect us to lose that, meaning you have a big chance to extend the gap if you can get the better of Aston Villa and/or Brighton.

Β  Β  "Saying that, I watched you on Sunday and don't see you beating either if Wilson, Almiron and Saint-Maximin are still injured for those games."

Sadly, I imagine most Newcastle fans will agree with the vast majority of James' comments here, with his comparison between Bruce and Parker being the most damning for me.

A big thanks to James for taking the time to speak with us. It looks unlikely at present, but let's hope BOTH of our clubs are Premier League teams when the full-time whistle goes at Craven Cottage on May 23rd!

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/03/09/i-just-spoke-to-a-fulham-fan-on-newcastle-bruce-the-relegation-battle-fascinating-comments/

WhiteJC

'I love it here' – QPR favourite loving loan life – recently failed to rule out permanent summer move

Speaking with the club's official website, QPR's loaned in midfielder Stefan Johansen has said he is "loving" his time at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

The 30-year-old has become a firm fan favourite at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium since joining on loan from Fulham in the January transfer window.

Johansen has featured eight times for QPR, netting one goal in the process. The midfielder has played an important role in the R's recent upturn in form, winning five times.

The Norway international has previously said he is keeping his options open ahead of the summer transfer window. Johansen failed to rule out a permanent return to the R's in the summer having fallen down the pecking order at Craven Cottage.

Now, Johansen has reiterated just how much he is enjoying life with the West London Club.

Speaking to the club's official website, the Fulham loanee said he "loves it" with QPR. Here's what he had to say:

"QPR has a fantastic reputation for being a community club, a family club. I have seen this first hand since I have come here. It gives you a great feeling.

"Speaking with the Norwegian R's was special. I really enjoyed it, and you can feel what the club means to them and how passionate they are.

"The fans love their club but you can see they love its values too.

"I love it here, I love the way the manager wants to play, I love the players around me. I think it is a footballing team with quality players, and I am trying to help with my experience.

With Johansen clearly enjoying being at QPR as much as the fans enjoy having him, it will be interesting to see if a permanent deal can be struck this summer.

The midfielder's Fulham contract expires in the summer of 2022. He joined the club in August 2016 and has gone on to play 142 times for the Cottagers.

However, he played just twice for Scott Parker's side in the first half of the campaign, falling out of favour with the Premier League outfit.

https://the72.co.uk/225994/i-love-it-here-qpr-favourite-loving-loan-life-recently-failed-to-rule-out-permanent-summer-move/

WhiteJC

Newcastle's final 11 games will make or break their season

THE battle to avoid relegation from the Premier League has tightened up considerably after last weekend's matches, which saw the impact of Newcastle United's failure to win at West Brom compounded by Fulham's surprise success at Liverpool.

The Magpies now find themselves just one point clear of the relegation zone with 11 games to play, and while both they and Brighton have a game in hand on Fulham, the battle to avoid the drop looks like going to the wire.

Who do Newcastle play in their remaining matches? And how are those games likely to go?

Mar 12 - Aston Villa (h)

Newcastle return to action this Friday with a home game against an Aston Villa side that have stuttered somewhat in recent weeks, winning just one of their last five games.

The Magpies will still be without their missing forwards, so much could depend on whether Jack Grealish is fit enough to return for the visitors. Villa have missed their skipper in the last couple of games, but he has been pencilled in for a possible comeback at St James'. If he starts after recovering from a leg issue, Newcastle's task will become more difficult.

Mar 20 – Brighton (a)

Newcastle head to Amex a week on Saturday for an evening game that is certain to have huge repercussions in the fight to avoid the drop. Even if they have secured a positive result against Villa, the Magpies cannot afford to lose to a Brighton side that dropped below them on goal difference last weekend.

There is a chance Callum Wilson could be fit to play some part in the game, but Steve Bruce will be desperate to ensure he does not risk his leading goalscorer suffering any kind of setback that could prematurely end his season. Managing Wilson's return to action successfully will be crucial to Newcastle's hopes of survival.

Apr 3 – Tottenham (h)

The Magpies return to action after the international break with a home game against a Spurs side that are currently battling on three different fronts. Jose Mourinho has been shuffling his pack a fair bit recently, but is likely to field his strongest line-up on Tyneside in the first game back after the international hiatus.

Bruce will be hoping he can call on both Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin by the start of next month, with the pair currently expected to complete their respective recoveries during the international break. Their performances in the final two months of the season could well be crucial.

Apr 10 – Burnley (a)

Burnley are still involved in the relegation fight – the Clarets are currently three points and one place above Newcastle – so there is a good chance next month's game at Turf Moor will have the feel of a real 'six-pointer'.

The Magpies have lost just one of their last six meetings with Burnley, so Bruce will be targeting this game as a key opportunity to take at least a point. With Bruce likely to adopt a safety-first approach, and Sean Dyche unlikely to adopt an expansive outlook, it could prove a difficult watch. Expect a similar type of game to Sunday's at West Brom.

Apr 17 – West Ham (h)

West Ham have been one of this season's surprise packages, but Newcastle will still regard a home game against David Moyes' side as a chance to claim what would be a much-needed win.

The Magpies won at the London Stadium on the opening weekend of the season, and will hope Saint-Maximin's counter-attacking abilities proves as effective next month as they were in September. Given the difficulty of a number of their remaining away games, Newcastle have to make their final six home matches count.

Apr 24 – Liverpool (a)

Can Newcastle follow Fulham's lead and spring a huge surprise by winning at Anfield? The history books would suggest it is unlikely, with the Magpies having failed to win a league game at Liverpool's home since 1994.

The Reds' title defence has gone horribly wrong in the last month, but will they have steadied the ship by the time Newcastle head to Merseyside? Or if a top-four finish is out of the question, might Jurgen Klopp be focusing on the Champions League if Liverpool still have a chance of being crowned champions of Europe?

May 1 – Arsenal (h)

It is hard to know what to expect from Arsenal at the best of times, so it is particularly difficult to predict what shape Mikel Arteta's Gunners side will be in by the time they arrive on Tyneside at the start of May.

They are unlikely to be battling for a Champions League place, but Newcastle will hope they are still involved in the latter stages of the Europa League and are prioritising Europe.

Whatever state the visitors are in, however, Newcastle will have to improve on the two performances that saw them lose at the Emirates in both the Premier League and FA Cup in the space of the same week in January.

May 8 – Leicester (a)

Newcastle's penultimate away game could hardly be tougher as it takes them to the King Power to take on a Leicester side that are likely to be battling for a top-four finish right to the end of the season.

The Magpies were hammered 5-0 in the same fixture last term, and were second best when Brendan Rodgers' side won on Tyneside in January. Anything from this game would be regarded as a bonus given the strength of the opposition on home soil.

May 12 – Man City (h)

Might this be the game when Manchester City are looking to clinch the title? There is every chance, but even if Pep Guardiola's side have things wrapped up by the time they head to Tyneside, it would be a brave person to predict a Newcastle win.

That said, however, the Magpies are unbeaten in their last two league home games against City. Might they spring another surprise, or will Sergio Aguero further embellish his remarkable scoring record against Newcastle?

May 15 – Sheff United (h)

Newcastle's final home game pits them against a Sheffield United side that will almost certainly have been relegated by the time they head to the North-East. Unless the picture changes dramatically in the next few weeks, it will be a must-win game for the Magpies.

As things stand, supporters will not be allowed into St James' Park, but that could change if the Premier League push the penultimate round of matches back to enable fans to attend. Given his fraught relationship with the fanbase, it is debatable whether Bruce would want supporters in the ground for such a pivotal encounter, although the presence of up to 10,000 home fans would surely help galvanise Newcastle's players.

May 23 – Fulham (a)

What a way to finish. Newcastle's final-day trip to Craven Cottage is shaping up to be a survival shoot-out that will have huge ramifications for both clubs.

The current plan is for around 5,000 Fulham fans to be allowed in, and it remains to be seen whether that hands the Cottagers a decisive advantage. Scott Parker's side have improved markedly and are within touching distance of Newcastle and Brighton.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19147318.newcastles-final-11-games-will-make-break-season/

WhiteJC

Report Reveals Newcastle Could Be Ill-Prepared For Third Relegation Under Ashley

Newcastle sit just 1 point and two places above Fulham, who occupy the third relegation slot in the Premier League table. The Cottagers rise over the past few weeks has shaken the once comfortable foundations of the clubs just outside the drop zone.

Just a few weeks ago, Newcastle held a comfortable 10 point lead over Fulham, who were just unable to pick up wins. They avoided defeats but draws had little impact on their ability to rise from the depths.

Newcastle had also picked up a couple of valuable wins at Everton and against Southampton after a long winless streak. However, as Newcastle struggled to pick up anything against Chelsea and Manchester United, Fulham finally began to pick up wins closing the gap to three points in just a week.

Our pathetic point on Sunday only managed to see Newcastle jump Brighton in the table with Fulham later trimming their deficit behind Newcastle to just one point with a magnificent win at Liverpool.

Now relegation is staring Newcastle in the face as it has become a real possibility. Martin Hardy, in The Times, has written a report revealing that Newcastle are ill-prepared for another bout in the Championship.

Hardy is reporting that the Newcastle hierarchy has neglected to add relegation clauses to player contracts out of fear of scaring away targets. So that means, if the looming nightmare of relegation is realized, Newcastle will have a massive wage bill to contend with over the summer.

Hardy writes that the club will carry the wage bill into the Championship. However, the more likely scenario is that our top stars are moved on and Newcastle will have build a new squad for the second tier. There'll be no Rafa Benitez on board to ensure that is a success.

https://www.nufcblog.com/2021/03/09/377398/

WhiteJC

Police investigating 'suited men' sneaking in Fulham ground over suspected gambling scam

A mobile phone was found taped to BT Sport's platform before Fulham's Premier League game against Tottenham, and other clubs have been put on alert amid fears of an organised crime unit

An investigation is underway as police look into a worrying security breach at Fulham's Craven Cottage last week.

Two unidentified men snuck into the Premier League club's stadium and taped a mobile phone to BT Sport's platform.

The device was found prior to the game against Tottenham, which was broadcasted live by BT Sport on Thursday evening.

Suspicions had been triggered when two men, wearing suits, got inside the ground.

After CCTV footage was reviewed, it had been made clear the phone had been attached to the underneath of the table being used by BT Sport for their coverage of the game.

It was found the day before the game and sparked a security alert, with a call being put to the police, according to the Daily Mail.

No arrests have yet been made in relation to the incident and the men are reported to have left the stadium without being consulted.

Other Premier League clubs will now be on alert, especially during these times of the Covid pandemic when access to stadiums is strictly monitored.

Fears have been raised there could be an organised crime unit that is targeting Premier League grounds.

While the motives remain unclear for now, the Daily Mail adds how the prospect has been raised the phone may be part of a gambling scan.

It is suggested it could have been an attempt to secure inside, real-time information from the BT Sport team and pundits for betting markets.

BT Sport's presenter for the game was Jake Humphrey, while the two expert pundits alongside him were Rio Ferdinand and Steve Sidwell.

The Metropolitan Police told Daily Star Sport: "The Met have received a report of an alleged security breach at Fulham Football Club's stadium where two men gained entry to the stadium.

"The incident is reported to have happened on Wednesday, 3 March. The circumstances of this report are being examined to see if any criminal offences were committed. There have been no arrests and enquiries continue."

Fulham have been approached for comment by Daily Star Sport, and a spokesman did confirm to the Daily Mail they are assisting police.

BT Sport have also been approached for comment by Daily Star Sport but declined to do so when contacted by the Daily Mail.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-tottenham-premier-league-police-23649902

filham

This relegation battle is riveting Newcastle, Fulham, Burnley are all likely candidates for the drop and it could come down to goal difference. Whether we lose 0-3 or 0-4 to City on Saturday could at the end of the season be the difference for us between relegation or survival. With ten games to go every goal counts.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: whitejc on March 10, 2021, 12:09:40 AM
How the Manchester Derby may have helped save Newcastle's season

Looking at the schedule, last week was set to be a defining moment in Newcastle United's season. The Magpies had relegation-bound West Brom on Sunday before Fulham were set to face Liverpool at Anfield.

Newcastle United came away with one point from a disappointing draw vs. the Baggies and Fulham earned a well-deserved three points in their upset win vs. Liverpool. But, could a different Premier League result on Sunday prove to be an x-factor in the relegation battle?

Following both Newcastle and Fulham's matches that day, Manchester United took on Manchester City at the Etihad. Pep Guardiola's side had won 21 consecutive matches entering the Manchester Derby.

But, it was Man Utd that took all three points in the rivalry fixture. Bruno Fernandes converted a penalty and Luke Shaw added the insurance goal in the 2-0 victory for the Red Devils.

Manchester United's big win over Manchester City could actually boost Newcastle's chances of survival.

Obviously, neither of these clubs are near the relegation battle, so how does this result impact Newcastle's chance of EPL survival?

Fulham face Manchester City on Saturday. If City had cruised to yet another win vs. United, they could have entered the Fulham match complacent. But, they will want to bounce back in a big way after losing and that doesn't bode well for Scott Parker's side. While Fulham are in good form right now, there aren't many teams in the world that can beat a motivated, focused Manchester City.

Newcastle will need to take care of business vs. Aston Villa, but we are comfortably to the point in the season when "scoreboard watching" will come into play with relegation rivals like Fulham or Brighton and Hove Albion. With Fulham set to face an angry, league-leading club, that bodes well for Steve Bruce & Co.

https://newcastletoons.com/2021/03/09/manchester-derby-may-helped-save-newcastles/

This article is laughable, its based on Citeh wanting to thrash a team and bounce back from the derby defeat and yet no mention of the Soton game on Wednesday!??
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

blingo

Quote from: filham on March 10, 2021, 10:16:03 AM
This relegation battle is riveting Newcastle, Fulham, Burnley are all likely candidates for the drop and it could come down to goal difference. Whether we lose 0-3 or 0-4 to City on Saturday could at the end of the season be the difference for us between relegation or survival. With ten games to go every goal counts.

Remember playing a game against city where if we lost we were down. We won that game and there is no reason why we cant win this one with the form we are showing.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: blingo on March 10, 2021, 12:53:16 PM

I shall drink to that 🍺 and I would love to see the look on the faces of all the so called expert panelist's ( don't make me laugh ) if we beat them. Mind you come to think of it, I may have to look at the expression on my face as well if we can pull it off, even a draw.

Remember playing a game against city where if we lost we were down. We won that game and there is no reason why we cant win this one with the form we are showing.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WhiteJC

Quote from: blingo on March 10, 2021, 12:53:16 PM

do you think Cavaleiro can play the Diomansy Kamara role?