WhiteJC

Results

Wednesday
Man City
5-2
Southampton

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

What a terrific result we had against Liverpool, and an entirely deserved one at that. I commentated on the Spurs game and thought we were really unlucky. I was hoping we wouldn't be too dispirited by that result because we at least deserved a draw against Spurs and probably the win. But any worries about that were completely eradicated once the game at Anfield got under way. I thought we were really good. We caught Liverpool at a good time bearing in mind they made seven changes and had a pretty inexperienced back four, with Andy Robertson the only one in there who you'd consider first choice really. But you still have to go and get the result, and Liverpool still had a lot of quality on the pitch. It was a great result. These are the Premier League champions, so to take three points off them is fantastic. I've been in relegation battles myself, and taking points off teams like that gives you so much confidence.

It doesn't seem fair to single any one player out for praise after a win like that, but Joachim Andersen was absolutely sensational. I think he's probably the best centre-back we've had since Brede Hangeland. I don't want to be disparaging about anyone else as we've had a lot of good defenders, but I just think this lad really is top drawer. I know he's only played 20-something games for us, but he's been incredible in that time and a pivotal factor in our improvement in form. Things started to turn when he came into the side. He's so good on the ball with his passing ability, but off the ball he's great, too. He's a leader. Tosin deserves credit as well for the job he's done at the back. They've formed a brilliant partnership in defence, so well done to the both of them.

"He's probably the best centre-back we've had since Brede Hangeland."

Tony Gale
On Joachim Andersen

The changing of the handball rule less than 24 hours after our game with Spurs was Fulhamish to say the least. That entire incident was a kick in the down-belows. In my commentary I was saying how ridiculous the whole thing was. If a side appealed for a penalty for that handball, they wouldn't get one as the rule had already been changed for that, so why isn't the same logic applied when it's an attacking phase of play? It was ridiculous, especially considering it was slammed into Mario Lemina from about three yards away. I felt sorry for Josh Maja as he had taken his goal really well. He'd got the ball out of his feet and sent in a great strike. That was a spell in the game where we were looking good and needed to take a chance. We did take a chance, and then it was chalked off, so it was understandably frustrating.

It was another London derby prior to that, and without a doubt we were the better team against Crystal Palace. I just had a horrible feeling that, the job they were doing on us, they were going to go and nick one up the other end like they did against Brighton. Thankfully that didn't happen, it's just a shame we couldn't get the goal we deserved. Palace are a tough nut to crack, though, and I don't think that's such a bad point.

I think the performances have always been pointing to results coming. I think Scotty and his coaching staff have always done a really good job in keeping confidence high, not letting the players dwell if results haven't been there.

Manchester City are next up at the Cottage and that will be a tough one, because if they rest seven players then they've got seven players of equal ability who can come in. They're in a much better place than Liverpool are. They'll want to give a response after losing to United, but hopefully Southampton are the ones to feel the brunt of that on Wednesday! I'm confident that the lads will play well. Momentum is everything in football, and we've got it. To get a point on Saturday would be great, but you just know Scott will be going after all three. I've always said that it's always best to play these teams in Champions League weeks. That proved to be the case at Anfield and hopefully it will be the same this weekend, with City playing Borussia Mönchengladbach a few days later.

When I was at the Cottage for the Spurs game it struck me how huge the new Riverside Stand structure looks. It really is taking shape now. Obviously I wasn't able to have a look around, but I was on that side commentating and it looks like it's going to be absolutely wonderful. I'm old enough to have seen that stand as a terrace, and then when it became the Riverside Stand, or the Eric Miller Stand as they called it, and now of course it's going to be a completely new stand entirely, so I'll have seen three stands on that riverside in my lifetime. I can't wait!

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/The-Tony-Gale-Column/

WhiteJC

Newcastle vs Brighton, Fulham vs Leeds - Eight days to define Burnley's Premier League run-in

Burnley are four points clear of the relegation zone in the Premier League

Burnley still have their heads above relagation water in the Premier League and the rest of March's fixtures should shape the picture much further.

Sheffield United and West Brom need a miracle if they are to stay-up but Fulham - who currently occupy the final relegation place - are piling the pressure of Brighton, Newcastle and the Clarets.

Scott Parker's team have lost just one of their last seven games, including wins at Everton and Liverpool.

It means that with 10 games to go - 11 in Brighton and Newcastle's case - the fight for survival is firmly on.

Burnley are 15h in 30 points, Newcastle 16th on 27, Brighton 17th on 26 and Fulham 18th also on 26 with an inferior goal difference to the Seagulls of -11 against -8.

For Sean Dyche's side, they have three of the five teams below them to play along with other fixtures they will be hopeful of taking points from.

Here, we take a look at the fixtures over the rest of the month that may well have a big say in how the table looks heading into April.

Friday, March 12
Newcastle vs Aston Villa (8pm)

Newcastle's game in hand on the Clarets and the chance for them to go above Burnley on goal difference.

The Magpies have won two games in 2021 and lost eight - they have lost Callum Wilson through injury and this is a massive game for them, at home under the lights.

Saturday, March 13
Everton v Burnley (5.30pm)

A tough trip for Dyche's men but a poor result for Newcastle on the Friday night could give them all the motivation and more that they need.

Everton were beaten by Chelsea last time out and have been dealt a blow with Abdoulaye Doucoure ruled out through injury, while James Rodriguez has been missing as of late too.

The Toffees' home form has not been great recently, with a one-nil win over Southampton last time out their first points at Goodison park in four games,

Fulham vs Man City (8pm)

A defeat to Man City will not be make or break for Scott Parker's team but this is the first game in a tough run of six fixtures for them.

In their next half-a-dozen matches, the lowest placed team Fulham play is Wolves (12th).

They need to make sure they come out the other end of those games still in the race for survival.

Sunday, March 14
Southampton v Brighton (12 noon)

The Saints have been very hit and miss this season but should have done enough to stay clear of any relegation trouble.

Brighton are in a difficult place at the moment, having followed a run of 10 points from a possible 12 with two from a possible 15.

Graham Potter's side have lost to Crystal Palace, West Brom and Leicester City in their last three games and now is not the time to hit a bump in the road.

This is a massive chance for the Seagulls to get back on track and pull three points clear from Fulham - if Man City were to win at Craven Cottage.

Friday, March 19
Fulham vs Leeds United (8pm)

Saturday's game against City is an enormous challenge for Fulham but the game that follows is certainly one they are capable of taking something from.

Leeds give every side a chance and these are two teams who like to have a real go.

Of their next six games, this is without a doubt one that Parker will look at and feel his team needs to take a point from at least.

Saturday, March 20
Brighton v Newcastle (8pm)

Two teams out of form and simply desperate for points.

Really not a game you want to lose.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-leeds-united-newcastle-united-20017113

WhiteJC

Supporting Newcastle is an act of relentless doom but they must act now to save themselves

The Magpies must give themselves a chance against Aston Villa instead of being happy with a point at West Brom

It is about as enjoyable as pulling your teeth out with a pair of pliers. Sticking a wet finger in an electric socket. Or scraping your fingernails down a blackboard.

Supporting Newcastle these dreadful days really is an act of relentless doom and gloom without a chink of light or ray of hope.

Those in control, Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce, stand charged with incompetence at best, gross neglect at worst.

So here we go again about to embark on yet another weekend of purgatory.

First up Newcastle against Aston Villa with Jack Grealish possibly back to torment on Friday night. The next day Fulham home to Manchester City followed on Sunday by Southampton v Brighton.

Who wins or is it all fall down?

The fight to avoid the last seat in the relegation boat to the Championship has been reduced to a three-way confrontation. Sheffield United and West Bromwich are dead in the water. Now the undignified scramble is between Newcastle, Brighton and Fulham and the Magpies are not favourites to escape.

If they do it will be because others have tripped over their shoelaces rather than Newcastle taking charge of their own destiny.

The whole thing is a sorry, sorry mess. What we have is:

An owner who is disinterested and wants out. A head coach who has brought so much upon his head through blazing rows, timid team selection, and muddled excuses for only two victories out of the last 18 attempts.

And a front three all injured leaving absolutely no alternatives of note merely fill-ins.

Let me make it quite clear, United still failed to score enough goals with Callum Wilson, Miggy Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin all on the pitch together but at least they had hope and ability.

Timid in their absence? You betya. While United set up not to lose at a doomed West Brom the Cottagers of Fulham went and won at Liverpool.

Bruce started without Dwight Gayle, failed to bring on Andy Carroll until 30 seconds from the end, and never gave any match time to the likes of ball crossers Jacob Murphy and Matt Ritchie. That is real ambition.

What best sums up United's plight is that the likes of Joelinton, Jeff Hendrick, and Jonjo Shelvey have been virtually automatic picks. Joelinton has appeared in 21 Premier League matches out of 27, Shelvey in 19, and Hendrick 18.

In comparison Bruce has risked starting Gayle just once despite a chronic lack of goals and Carroll four times while Paul Dummett has began in three PL matches, Matty Longstaff four, Ritchie six, and Sean Longstaff nine, his last being 11 games ago at Sheffield United on January 12.

That's the biggest cold shoulder since Liz Hurley ventured out in the snow wearing only a bikini and a big smile!

Unpalatable as it may be, the club has gone backwards since the arrival of one of their own sons.

Yet the devotees were served up quotes after West Brom like "the reason we got a point was the togetherness, attitude and desire. To be without our front three and get a point really, really pleased me. It was vitally important we didn't lose."

Dear me. Such ambition, such chance taking. Bruce must be the only Geordie pleased with a point against pathetic opposition. This was a positive rather than a negative? Do me a favour.

The reality is that the denial of a rapidly growing crisis is a replica of when Steve McClaren and Joe Kinnear walked United towards oblivion.

Now we have no wish for the blind panic of a headless chicken but we would like a reality check, a public acceptance that nothing less than a drastic reaction will suffice, and the sort of calculated, hard-headed planning which has seen Scott Parker dramatically turn round Fulham's season.

They began with five defeats and a draw in their first six matches to look goners almost before they had started but are currently on a run which has produced only two defeats in 10 outings.

Parker was always a thinker when he was here at Newcastle as a player and he has spectacularly overhauled Fulham's fortunes through clinical calm vision coupled with an ability to keep players onside.

As a former boyhood fan Bruce called this his "dream job." Well it has turned into a nightmare for him and for everyone.

While many other pundits immediately gushed over his appointment, mainly on his behalf, I felt nought but unease and said so from the off. I had known him since he was a fresh faced kid at Wallsend Boys Club but thought United and him were a poor fit especially at this particular time and it could only end in tears.

Another former boys club graduate Alan Shearer begged Bruce not to take the job but he did because he viewed it through rose coloured spectacles.

Even Shearer has now admitted he no longer believes Newcastle will survive their fierce relegation fight after the tame draw at West Bromwich and Fulham's splendid victory away to champions Liverpool.

Everything is falling apart. Only drastic, courageous, positive action can save the day at this late stage.

There is still time - United are not in the bottom three - but blink and the opportunity will be gone.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/supporting-newcastle-act-relentless-doom-20016011

WhiteJC

Andersen applauds Fulham's 'incredible fighter's will'

Fulham defender Joachim Andersen was delighted with Fulham's spirit in their win at Anfield last weekend and says the outstanding performance proves that the Whites can beat anyone in the Premier League.

Scott Parker's side inflicted another damaging home defeat on Liverpool with Mario Lemina's strike just before half time proving decisive. Andersen told Danish website Bold that, while the visitors could have had a more comfortable lead given the strength of their first half display, he was impressed with Fulham's desire to hold onto their precious advantage.

"We played a great first half and had lots of chances. In the second half, it was incredible how we fought. You could see that everyone was working, and it's just unbelievable. I have said many times now that we can beat all teams. We show every match that we are here to play and we produce a good match out of every showdown. So I'm just really happy."

The Fuham skipper admitted that Lemina's breakthrough came at the perfect time – and was proud of how his side dug in during the second half.

"It was good to score just before the break. We came in with a really good feeling and with the redemption from scoring. In the second half it was not our match and we did not play as we would like, but we just showed a great fighter's will, and you need that sometimes too."

Fulham now only remain in the relegation zone on goal difference level on points with Brighton in seventeenth place and one point behind Newcastle. They face another stiff test against league leaders Manchester City on Saturday night.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/andersen-applauds-fulhams-incredible-fighters-will/

WhiteJC

Andrea Agnelli's idea for an 18-team Premier League won't help competition – it will kill ambition
Juventus chair Andrea Agnelli's proposals would worsen the Premier League's already imperfect competitive balance, argues Richard Jolly

Andrea Agnelli was looking at remodelling the footballing calendar. It may yet entail promoting clubs into an expanded Champions League on grounds of historical achievement, flouting sporting integrity and flying in the face of concepts of a meritocracy to give some of the additional four places to those who, conveniently, happen to be big, well-supported and whose presence tends to boost television rights. Then the chairman of both Juventus and the European Club Association seemed to turn his attention to reducing the Premier League. Clubs in England, he noted, can play 53 domestic games, compared to just 43 in Germany.

"We do think that currently, for competitive balance purposes, 20 teams in leagues - it's not just the big leagues, but in many leagues - there are too many," he said.

The temptation is to suggest a 20-team Serie A has insufficient competitive balance, given that Juventus have won nine consecutive Scudetti in a time when five clubs have been champions of England, or that Ligue 1 lacks enough, given that Paris Saint-Germain have won seven of the last eight league titles. Or perhaps to argue that the Bundesliga's status as an 18-club league scarcely brought more competitive balance when Bayern won the title eight years in a row, often by large margins. If each was insufficiently competitive too often, it was in part a product of Champions League revenues.   

And the point could be made that, with fewer teams, leagues such as Greece's, Ukraine's and Scotland's are scarcely bywords for competitive balance. The chances are, however, that Agnelli was not thinking of any of them. His greater wish was to clear more of the calendar for Champions League games.

It is not English exceptionalism to say that the extra clubs, the ones Agnelli seems to suggest should just be demoted to give the superpowers to play each other, contribute much. Sheffield United may be dismissed as one of the worst teams in Premier League history now, but they have still won at Old Trafford. Last season, they beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham and went unbeaten in London.

Perhaps, as they came ninth then, they were not who Agnelli would have packed off back to the Championship. But consider their peers. West Brom may have been largely dismal this season but have still drawn with all four of England's Champions League representatives. Fulham have just won at Anfield, emulating Brighton and Burnley; the Seagulls also beat Spurs, the Clarets also defeated Arsenal.

Look at previous seasons. In 2011/12, Manchester City won the title on goal difference in part because Manchester United lost at home to relegated Blackburn; in 2009/10, Chelsea won it by one point when United's early-season defeat to promoted and relegated Burnley came at a cost.

And it is worth noting who the 19th and 20th clubs can be. Some of the division's more endearing and improbable stories are facilitated by the Championship play-offs, which perhaps would be scrapped or altered. Its winners can include those long exiled from the top flight like Burnley (when they came up in 2009), Blackpool, Swansea and Huddersfield; recent winners include one of England's grandest clubs, in Aston Villa, who could now qualify for Europe this season. If the division is chopped of two representatives, then its smallest members look most susceptible, but Wigan, for example, offered much in their eight-season stay.

Or if three-up, three-down were retained, then the clubs in 16th and 17th would go; last year that meant West Ham and Villa, two who have improved and illuminated the division this year. It underlines why everyone outside the 'big six' has no incentive to vote to reduce the Premier League; turkeys famously don't vote for Christmas.

But it is also part of the dynamic of English football that, in part because of its history and their size, there are around 50 clubs who can imagine themselves in the Premier League (indeed, 49 have played there) if they get a season or two at a lower level very right. Some are now found in League One; the odd one, like Bolton, in League Two.

Reducing the division, as Agnelli seems to want, comes at a cost to hope and ambition; it could consign some to permanent exile, with the Championship fattened by clubs who would otherwise be in the top flight. It would deny them of the sort of highlights that can be cherished for decades (Huddersfield, for instance, may have gone down with 16 points, but only after staying up at Chelsea and beating United the previous year).

The Premier League has an imperfect competitive balance, but the £100 million each participant receives in television revenue gives them a chance; more, some would say, than some clubs in predictable Champions League pools have. Reforming that may have its merits, given it has often been a competition of two halves, a dull group stage followed by often outstanding knockout ties, in recent years, though Agnelli's Swiss-style system looks more like a licence to print money than one designed to improve the early part of the competition.

But his interventions into domestic leagues look devoid of intellectual or sporting merit. Perhaps his most positive contribution to inject competitive balance was to sack Massimiliano Allegri to give others more of a chance of winning Serie A.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/andrea-agnellis-idea-for-an-18-team-premier-league-wont-help-competition-it-will-kill-ambition

WhiteJC

Tosin Adarabioyo: Fulham's aspiring future England centre-back

Six months ago, only the most avid football fan would've been aware of Tosin Adarabioyo.

As recently as a month ago, most Premier League fans would've agreed that Fulham were dead and buried. Fast forward to today and Fulham and centre back Tosin Adarabioyo have closed the gap to those above them and lie in the relegation zone of goal difference alone as the form side at the bottom of the table.

Having signed for the Cottagers in October from Manchester City, 23-year-old Tosin has played every Premier League minute since, first shoring up Fulham's defence and now providing the backbone of a side playing impressive, front-foot football, alongside fellow ever-present centre back Joachim Andersen.

Tosin cannot take all the credit for Fulham's improvement – they look a well-oiled cohesive unit – but a fifth clean sheet in seven deserves plaudits for the defence of any team, let alone one that faced Everton, Spurs and Liverpool during that run.

Centre back has been a troublesome position for England since John Terry and Rio Ferdinand left the international arena. It is arguably our weakest area right now, along with goalkeeper and central midfield, and one that has seen several Premier League regulars tried out.

John Stones has returned from the abyss to provide the Three Lions with a ray of hope this summer, while only Harry Maguire looks assured of a place in the squad alongside him, with Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Eric Dier, Conor Coady and Tyrone Mings all featuring sporadically since the autumn.

The statistics of goals conceded and the league position do not lend weight to the argument that Tosin Adarabioyo should be called up ahead of of any of those, let alone others like James Tarkowski, Lewis Dunk, Ben Godfrey or Ezri Konsa.

What does favour Tosin is Fulham's style of football. Gareth Southgate has made it clear he wants to play on the front foot, which naturally requires centre-halves to be comfortable in possession. He would be an incredibly rogue selection, but fully deserved.

https://90maat.com/tosin-adarabioyo-fulhams-aspiring-future-england-centre-back/

WhiteJC

'I'm developing more' - Chelsea product Jordan Aina happy to have landed at Fulham

Chelsea academy product Jordan Aina, the younger brother of Super Eagles defender Ola, has revealed that he is enjoying his time at Fulham.

The former England U16 international was on the books of Chelsea for eleven years and joined the Cottagers on a permanent transfer last summer following a successful trial.

Jordan has pulled on a Fulham shirt on eight occasions this season, including seven matches in the Premier League 2.

"I've really enjoyed it so far and it's going well. I think I'm developing more as a player, featuring at Under-23 level more regularly," Jordan told Fulham's official website.

"It's a different style of coaching to what I had before but I really feel like I've needed it to further improve my game".

Ola Aina arrived at Fulham on loan from Torino in the summer transfer window and the younger Aina has confessed that it helps having his older brother playing for the first team.

"I definitely think it helps me to an extent. I want to be where he is so he's motivation for me. He's always encouraging me to keep going and working hard and one day I'll get there if I keep doing the right things.

"Ola started playing around the age of nine and I used to go and watch his little tournaments and stuff.

"When I was about five, I was playing for my local team and, since then, I've just enjoyed playing football.

"I'd say he did have an effect on me wanting to play football but I think I'd have got into it anyway to be honest," said Jordan.

Jordan Aina didn't get many chances to play for Chelsea U23 team before he left Stamford Bridge, making just one matchday squad against Leicester City in 2018-19.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=39212

WhiteJC

How Fulham's defence have turned around their Premier League season

Scott Parker's Fulham have mounted a strong challenge to maintain their place in the Premier League in recent weeks. After looking a dead-cert for relegation early in the season, the Cottagers now sit in the drop zone only on goal difference, with recent form considerably stronger than the teams around them.

Amongst the main reasons for their turnaround is the restructuring of their defence. Parker's backline was his key concern at the season's start, having shipped ten goals in the first three league games, scoring in just one of those. A team mainly made up of loan signings was struggling to work as a unit as individual errors plagued Craven Cottage. The lack of confidence amongst the squad was plain for all to see.

However, a combination of positive tactics from the manager and a complete transformation defensively have seen Fulham rise from the bottom of the table, taking points from Liverpool, Everton, and Tottenham Hotspur in the process.

The arrival of Tosin Adarabioyo on a permanent deal from Manchester City on transfer deadline day was a key moment in the transformation. The centre-back arrived when Fulham had lost their opening five games, conceding 12 goals. Since his arrival, Fulham has only lost by a two-goal margin twice – to his former side City, and to Leicester City. In his 23 games so far, Tosin has made a total of 124 clearances, 66 of those with his head, 25 tackles, and won 65 aerial duels. Considering Fulham started the season with five-foot-eight full-back Denis Odoi filling in at centre-back, the six-foot-four aerial presence of Tosin has been a key factor in changing their fortunes at the back.

The form of on-loan centre-back Joachim Andersen is also an important factor. The 24-year-old arrived on a season-long deal from Lyon also on deadline day and has impressed ever since. Earning the captaincy and drawing comparisons to Jan Vertonghen. Andersen has made an average of 5.4 clearances per game since his arrival and has helped Fulham to nine clean sheets in his five months at Craven Cottage. His showings against the likes of Spurs and Liverpool have resulted in transfer speculation to those teams, and the Danish international has proved to be a commanding presence at the back with his comfort on the ball also standing out. 

In many ways, transfer deadline day has saved Fulham's season. Co-owner Tony Khan took to Twitter in late September last year to apologise to fans for the team's displays, revealing he had been trying to sign a centre-back since they were promoted to the Premier League and that their moves for four targets were thwarted. 

However, the two centre-backs Fulham eventually managed to secure late in the day have made all the difference. Another on-loan defender, Ola Aina, has made all the difference, with his versatility a major contributing factor to the turnaround. Nigeria international Aina arrived on a season-long deal from Torino in early September and has since filled in as a centre-back in a back three as well as his preferred position as a wing-back. The former Chelsea youngster's link-up with Ademola Lookman has been a consistent outlet on the front foot, but his defensive work filling in wherever required has been incredibly useful for Parker. Antonee Robinson has also been a constant outlet from wing-back, with Bobby De Cordova-Reid impressing in the position as well.

Parker's switch to a back five for Fulham's 2-1 win at Leicester City was the turning point for the defence. Reid and Robinson played as full-backs with Aina, Andersen, and Tosin at the heart of the defence, allowing Fulham to have at least five men behind the ball at one time to nullify Leicester's threat from attacking midfield. The system has been employed on several occasions since, as well as a 4-2-3-1 with a pivot of Harrison Reed and either Mario Lemina or Andre Zambo Anguissa. The latter system includes both deep midfielders dropping in behind the ball in the defensive phase, so Fulham have at least six men behind the ball, proving incredibly difficult to break down.

Goalkeeper Alphonse Areola was a surprise signing on loan from Paris Saint-Germain, but his quality has shone through since the switch. The 28-year-old has made 89 saves in his 27 Fulham appearances this season, often providing a solid last line of defence when the compact system in front of him is stretched.

Fulham's ability to defend the lead using this solid defensive system has also been a significant factor. Parker's side have lost just once after going behind in the league this season. The mental strength in the squad for a team fighting relegation is the underlying factor behind all of these reasons for Fulham's turnaround in form. Players have consistently mentioned a 'full belief' that they will stay in the Premier League in interviews, and this has shown in their performances on the pitch. 

Much, in a relegation scrap, depends on the results of other teams. Fulham have showed that they will put up a fight until the very end to keep their place in the top flight and look to be taking control of the battle to stay in the Premier League.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/how-fulham-s-defence-have-turned-around-their-premier-league-season

WhiteJC

Notes from March meeting with FFC

On Monday 8 March at 12:30, the Fulham Supporters' Trust met with Fulham FC via video conference.

The Club was represented by:

Alistair Mackintosh (CEO)
    Darren Preston (Chief Operating Officer)
    David Daly (Non-Executive Director)
    Carmelo Mifsud (Communications Director)
    Ally Spicer (Head of Ticketing Operations)
    Nicola Walworth (Supporter Relations Manager)
    Charlie Harris (Communications Assistant)
    Matt Lowery (Marketing Director)

The FST was represented by Board Members:

Tom Greatrex (Chair)
    Ian Clarke (Vice Chair)
    Simon Duke (Secretary)
    Hayley Davinson (Board Member)

HOW IT WORKS

The Trust asks any questions that it judges are of interest to supporters, based on responses from Trust Members to the advance notification of the meeting, and by generally interacting with the wider supporter base. There is no restriction placed on which questions the Trust choose to ask or points raised with the Club. These notes are then sent to members only in advance of being posted on our website at a later date.

If any member has raised an issue that it was not possible to discuss in the time available, then please do contact us again in good time before the next meeting or alternatively we can seek to raise it between meetings if that is more appropriate.
TOPICS DISCUSSED

Introduction
    Return of fans to football
        Club understanding
        Operations and likely capacity
        Ticket allocation
    2021/22 Season
    Annual celebration day
    FST survey feedback
    Riverside Stand
        Terminology used in video update
        Opportunity to view
        Opening game
        Pitch quality
    AOB
        International Women's Day
        Jim & Jamie post-match reviews

INTRODUCTION

In opening discussions, the Trust board members present asked the Club to pass on both our personal best wishes to Kevin McDonald following the news of his kidney transplant and also those of all Trust members and the wider Fulham fanbase.

RETURN OF FANS TO FOOTBALL
Club understanding

All Football supporters have been encouraged by recent Government announcements relating to the possible return of limited numbers of fans to football after 17 May 2021. The Trust asked for the Club's understanding and views on this.

The Club explained that they are and always have been positive about supporters returning to football as soon as possible. They were able to confirm their expectation that, assuming no changes to the guidelines, some Fulham fans will be able to attend the Fulham v Newcastle fixture on 23 May. The Club also anticipates one away fixture may have fans admitted, although this will be for home supporters only (Fulham supporters will not be able to attend).

There is no current expectation of earlier test events and all will be subject to a meeting of the Hammersmith and Fulham Safety Advisory Group (SAG) which the Trust attends.
Operations and likely capacity

As explained and discussed at previous meetings, there were many factors limiting the available capacity when supporters returned for the Liverpool fixture in December. These were all based on Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) Covid guidance. The most recent Government announcement suggested attendances of the lower of 25% of capacity or 10,000 would now be allowed and the Trust asked for the Club's understanding, especially given the particular challenges at Craven Cottage.

Working to the current SGSA guidance and from earlier discussions with the SAG, the Club explained that it is prudent to anticipate capacity for Fulham v Newcastle will be approximately 2,000 and not 25% of capacity. If there are revisions to guidance this may increase, but given the configuration of Craven Cottage and limited concourse space, it may well be lower than other venues are allowed. The Club and Trust agreed that if there are ways of getting more spectators present then they will be explored.

For clarity, there is no likelihood of seats in the Riverside being available for sale for the Newcastle fixture.
Ticket allocation

In relation to ticketing for the likelihood of a single fixture with approximately 2,000 capacity, the Club and the Trust were in agreement that those supporters who had previously been allocated tickets in the ballot for the Brighton or Southampton fixtures in December should have priority access to the Newcastle match. This is in line with the previous announcement made when Brighton tickets were refunded. Following a 'closed sale' period of Newcastle tickets to those supporters, any further tickets available will be balloted amongst remaining season ticket holders, with priority given to those who have not yet been allocated a ticket this season.

2021/22 SEASON

The Trust asked if there has been any planning for the 2021/22 season following the recent Government announcements. The Club explained its view that it is still too soon to make plans with so many variables, most notably no confirmation of allowable capacity next season, but confirmed that it would like to sell season tickets if possible. In discussion the Trust reiterated the desire of most supporters to be able to return to 'normal' football.

The Club confirmed that it does expect some seats to be available in the Riverside Stand next season before its completion, probably towards the 'wings' of the stand, although it is not yet clear what facilities might be available.

ANNUAL CELEBRATION DAY

The Trust asked for feedback on the proposal brought to the Club at the February meeting for the introduction of an Annual Celebration Day. The Club was pleased to explain that the supporter relations team had discussed the proposal with the Club management board and that there was broad approval, subject to some additional ideas. The Club and Trust will meet outside of the regular monthly meetings to progress the initiative.

FST SURVEY FEEDBACK

The Trust presented some very high-level feedback from the recent Fans' Survey. Particular discussion points centred on

gambling sponsorship
    attitudes to pay per view and illegal streaming
    impact of lack of football on mental health.

The Trust agreed to bring further details to the Club once a full analysis has been completed and will be presenting the results to Trust members at a members-only Webinar on the evening of 24 March.

RIVERSIDE STAND

The Trust thanked the Club for the recent Riverside Stand project update and asked a number of questions arising both from the video and from points raised by members.
Terminology used in video update

Some supporters picked up the use of the phrase "Hotel End" in the update interview and asked for clarification on the use of this name. The Club explained that it is a convenient description being used by Buckingham and there is no change in the name of the Hammersmith End.

The Trust also checked with the Club its understanding that mention of a hotel does not imply that there has been any change to the planning permission, and that the existing class C1 permission covers both "serviced apartments" and "hotels where no significant element of care is provided". The Club confirmed this to be the case, explaining that there is very little difference, given the range of services which will be provided by Fulham Pier.
Opportunity to view

The Trust asked whether supporters will be able to view the Riverside Stand when it is closer to completion. The Club said that whilst it is not planning a specific viewing period, there will be plenty of opportunity for supporters to understand the facilities via the planned 'sales portals' including 'view from my seat'.
Opening game

In response to questions from members, the Trust asked whether any plans were being made for a prestige opening fixture. The Club confirmed that this is certainly being considered and asked for our feedback and ideas. A range of suggestions were made in the meeting, including the possibility of inviting Benfica (the opposition for the opening of the then new Riverside Stand in 1972) and Atletico Madrid given the friendly relations between fans at the Europa League final.
Pitch quality

Some supporters have noted a possible degradation in the state of the pitch and asked whether the new stand has had an impact. The Club said that it has not, and that any apparent 'cutting up' of the surface was due to the bad weather recently, noting also that the very short close season did not allow for the usual programme of pitch maintenance works.

AOB
International Women's Day

The Trust highlighted an interview on its web site with Megalie Mendes of the Fulham Women's team.
Jim & Jamie post-match reviews

Some members have noted a recent lack of post-match reviews with Jim and Jamie which are popular with supporters. The Club explained that during the pandemic, changes have been made to the content and that currently these reviews are being done on a grouped match basis rather than after each match.

The meeting closed at 13:30.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2021/03/notes-from-march-meeting-with-ffc-3/