https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 13/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 12, 2021, 11:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Fulham v Manchester City

Manchester City midfielder Rodrigo's next league appearance will be the 200th of his career
TEAM NEWS

Fulham head coach Scott Parker has no fresh injury concerns for the visit of league leaders Manchester City.

Tom Cairney is back training after a long-term knee problem but he is not expected to be involved on Saturday.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is likely to rotate his squad again, with Joao Cancelo, John Stones, Raheem Sterling and Sergio Aguero among those hoping for a recall.

Midfielder Rodrigo could make his 200th career league appearance.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham were fantastic at Anfield last weekend and fully deserved their victory over Liverpool. With three months of the season to go, they have given themselves a fighting chance of staying up, and you just know they will give it a good go in this game too.

This is obviously a much bigger test, though. Manchester City's long winning run was ended by neighbours Manchester United but I think that defeat could end up doing Pep Guardiola's side some good.

A defeat at the right time can concentrate the mind for the tests that are to come - the old 'short, sharp shock' if you like, because there is nothing worse than your players starting to think that you can't be beaten.

Prediction: 0-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham have lost 10 consecutive matches against Manchester City in all competitions and are winless in 16 since a 3-1 Premier League victory at Etihad Stadium in April 2009.
    City have scored in each of the past 26 meetings, winning the last six by an aggregate score of 18-0.

Fulham

Fulham's form over the past six league games is the fifth best in the division, with three wins and 11 points.
    However, their home record is the joint worst in the Premier League. Fulham have only beaten the two sides currently below them: West Brom and Sheffield United.
    They've scored eight league goals at Craven Cottage this season. The Premier League record for fewest home goals scored in a season is 10, by Manchester City in 2006-07 and Huddersfield in 2018-19.
    The Cottagers are winless in 24 Premier League home matches against established top-six opposition since beating Arsenal in January 2012 (D2, L22).
    Since losing 2-0 at Manchester City on 5 December, all four of Fulham's league defeats have come at Craven Cottage.
    Scott Parker's side have only conceded twice in their past seven league matches, keeping five clean sheets.
    Ademola Lookman has been directly involved in Fulham's four most recent goals at Craven Cottage, with two goals and two assists.

Manchester City

City are on a club record run of 12 consecutive away victories in all competitions.
    Pep Guardiola's side can equal the club record of 16 successive competitive away matches unbeaten, set from January to September 1999.
    They have won 22 of their past 23 league and cup games.
    Manchester City dropped points in only two of their 15 league matches so far this season against teams currently in the bottom half of the table: 1-1 draws with Leeds and West Brom.
    Ilkay Gündogan has scored 10 of his 12 Premier League goals this season in 2021.
    Guardiola has won all five competitive matches as a manager against Fulham by an aggregate score of 13-0.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56247520

WhiteJC

Hoddle breaks down Parker & Fulham: Good recruitment; flexible tactics - they could stay up

Former England coach Glenn Hoddle admits he's been impressed by the work of Scott Parker at Fulham this season.

In his first full campaign as a Premier League manager, Parker has managed to turn results around since the New Year and has his Fulham team just three points away from Premier League safety.

Reflecting on the Cottagers' famous 1-0 win at Liverpool on Sunday, Hoddle was effusive in his praise for Parker and the way his approach has developed over the season.

He said on his podcast, 'The Glenn Hoddle Footy Show': "Oh, it's been incredible. When you think of the start, when Arsenal beat them 3-0 at home. They looked all over place and really quite weak. That was probably the lowest they played this season. They've slowly, slowly got better and better."

Indeed, Hoddle admits he's been won over by Parker's work in the transfer market, with his additions all making a positive impact on their survival tilt.

He continued: "I think his recruitment in January was good. (Josh) Maja coming in has given him another little option. I think (Joachim) Andersen has been outstanding. If he was playing for one of the big clubs... I think major clubs will be all over him, in Europe and the Premier League."

Hoddle also said of Parker's eye for a player: "There'll be a delegation, but in the end it gets down to the manager and the owner about who is recruited. It's not just about how you set up the team, it's also about the players you bring in.

"You have to have an eye for a player and who will suit how you want to play. That's the art of management."

On Parker's tactics through the season, Hoddle appreciates the flexibility he's shown as the campaign has drawn on.

"It's been a great job by Scotty Parker.

"Y'know, it suits them, they played with a back three or a back five initially. Then they played against Liverpool at home and they were outstanding, especially in the first-half. They got a draw, but could've won.

"Then he went to a back four. He wanted to get another body more forward. It's worked for him - and at a vital time in the season. So there's been a change in shape on occasions.

"Then at Liverpool (on Sunday), he went back to a back five and they defended so well. Tactically it was perfect. The distances between the defensive players was spot on."

Hoddle also identified why Fulham are the most likely of the teams in the bottom three to beat the drop, highlighting the pace in key positions which allows Parker's team to make effective counter-attacks.

Hoddle said, "What they have, which other teams down there down there don't, is they have a break on them. They can get themselves up the pitch.

"To go up there (at Liverpool) and win is probably one of the best results of the season.

"It was magnificent and now you can see they can't wait to play the next game."

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/hoddle-breaks-down-parker-fulham-good-recruitment-flexible-tactics-they-could-stay-up-4362473#popup-sso

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Steve Howey believes Bruce and Parker are polar opposites

In an exclusive interview with Football FanCast, former Newcastle United defender Steve Howey believes Steve Bruce and Scott Parker could not be further apart in how they carry themselves.

Just before Fulham's impressive win away to Liverpool on Sunday where they rarely looked troubled, Newcastle had drawn 0-0 away to 19th placed West Bromwich Albion.

Howey believes the way Parker conducts himself and how upbeat he is in interviews is a big factor as to why they are playing good football now, and have given themselves a great chance of escaping the drop.

Bruce has been under immense pressure with fans wanting and expecting him to be sacked after the draw against West Brom, however, he remains and is set to be the manager for the foreseeable future.

The former Sunderland manager has never been a fan favourite and Howey believes it's all getting a bit too much for Bruce both physically and mentally.

Howey was full of praise for their relegation rivals' manager Parker in comparison, telling FFC exclusively.

"I can totally understand the manner of Steve Bruce and the demeanour when he gets interviewed.

"You look at the way he is and you look at Scott Parker, and they're just polar opposites. Scott looks very positive, very upbeat and Steve looks kind of defeated, really.

"You just hope that doesn't affect his mental health because he just doesn't look well. The pressure is obviously getting to him, unfortunately, that then gets to his family."

Bruce seems to be facing a new crisis or talking point every week at Newcastle whereas Fulham appears to be galvanised and able to give any team a competitive match.

If Newcastle are to stay up this season, Bruce will require a thick skin and find a way to get a tune of his team, who seem to be sapped of confidence.

https://www.footballfancast.com/newcastle-united-news/exclusive-steve-howey-newcastle-united-fulham-relegation-premier-league-e46

WhiteJC

Andersen will be 'angry and embarrassed' if Fulham go down

oachim Andersen says he will be 'angry' and 'embarrassed' if he fails to keep Fulham in the Premier League.

The Danish international defender, who has been outstanding since he joined the Whites on loan from Lyon in October, assumed the captain's armband in the absence of injured skipper Tom Cairney and is confident that Scott Parker's side can beat the drop after they drew level on points with seventeenth-placed Brighton and Hove Albion. He told FFFCTV that he won't be satisfied unless Fulham complete the job:

"Of course I came here to play football, have an important role, and of course to keep Fulham in the Premier League. Because if we don't stay in the Premier League, for me it won't be a successful year because football is a team sport and I want Fulham to stay here now I know everyone within the club, and how much it means for everyone. For me it is embarrassing if you don't stay up because I always want to win. And when I don't win I am really angry."

Andersen knows getting something from tomorrow night's clash with Manchester City will be a tall order, but he is far from overawed by the challenge.

"City are unbelievable. I have been really impressed by them and how they're playing. We have to go and believe. We have so much confidence and, like I said many times, we can beat anyone."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/andersen-will-be-angry-and-embarrassed-if-fulham-go-down/

WhiteJC

How the club's culture will be key to survival
The mood at Motspur and in the changing room will play a crucial role in our bid to avoid the drop, as Sean Guest explains.

As if Sunday's momentous win over Liverpool wasn't sweet enough, it was made even better by the fact that Jamie Carragher was on commentary. The Sky Sports pundit and Liverpool legend famously condemned us to relegation just three games into the current campaign, saying "Fulham are going down, I've never been more certain about anything in my life".

While his prediction could still yet come to pass, Carragher was altogether less certain about our fate on Sunday, complimenting Scott Parker for building such a cohesive team around seven loan players.

Fittingly, Mario Lemina, one of those loanees, scored the only goal of the game and the almost frenzied celebrations that followed illustrated the spirit and belief that exists within this group regardless of current league position. That is, as Carragher rightly observed, something Parker deserves a lot of credit for, but it could also be what ultimately keeps us in the Premier League.

"Success comes from a culture and a desire"
While much has been made of Scott's development as a tactician, he really doesn't get enough credit for re-establishing a positive culture at Fulham. It's easy to forget that when he took over as caretaker manager at the tail end of the 2018/19 season, the Whites had won just one of their nine games played since the turn of the year and were on the brink of relegation.

While Parker's tenure began with five successive defeats that ultimately saw relegation confirmed, his remit, as outlined by Chairman Shahid Khan, was to "help us stabilize, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club." Wins against Everton, Bournemouth and Cardiff before the end of the season put us on the right track and as Tom Cairney pointed out, "Ever since Scott Parker was put in charge it has been a step in the right direction... You can see the way the players play for him, the way they respond."

It was that response which helped Parker secure the manager's job full time, shortly after Fulham's torrid return to the top flight came to an end. But as he told the BBC, "...Success comes from a culture and a desire – that needs to be our foundation. We'll drive a culture here that our fans will recognise."

Bringing the club back together
That culture soon came to the fore as we adjusted to life back in the Championship. It helped us overcome a mid-season wobble that saw us drop from third to sixth in the space of just three December games and played a huge part in helping us bounce back from successive post-lockdown defeats against Brentford and Leeds to go on and secure promotion.

Speaking to the Guardian after the play-off final, Parker said, "Along the way this year you can see there are still those wounds which we need to make into thick scars, and make sure they do not reappear. I realised the squad was fragile, the football club was fragile and... At the forefront of my mind was trying to bring the club back together a little bit and try to create an environment and culture."

But for all the desire and belief that Parker had instilled in the squad to that point, it was clear from the very first game of the new campaign that the group that won promotion wasn't good enough to secure survival. As a result, Parker had to navigate a difficult period defined by the antics of Tony Khan before he was tasked with instilling that same culture and belief in an almost entirely new group of players, seven of whom are on loan at the club and have an average age of just 24.

Unfazed by the prospect, he maintained his own belief in his vision for the club, something that quickly saw us pick up points against Sheffield United, West Brom and, to everyone's surprise, Leicester. After that game, he told Sky Sports "I believe in this team, I really do... We have quality, but I think we all realise... you need something extra, something extra you can't coach, something extra you can't give on a training field."

Something extra
That something extra has really come to the fore in recent weeks. Whether through Tosin Adarabioyo posing in the 2001 home shirt, Joachim Andersen's shot of the 'boys' celebrating a win or Ademola Lookman's posts about bouncing back together on Instagram, it's clear that these players, regardless of whether they're here permanently or on loan, are embracing the culture Parker's established and want to help Fulham stay in the Premier League. As Mario Lemina said in his post-game interview on Sunday, "We're gonna fight until the end because we know where we are and we're gonna get out of this... We are together. From the beginning we've been together and we're gonna stay together until the end."

For André-Frank Zambo Anguissa, that belief currently resonating through the squad comes entirely from the manager. As he told the Guardian last week, "Scott Parker knows how to make the players feel good, to feel confident. He always finds the words to get through to us. If he tells you it's possible, you believe it's possible."

It's a far cry from the position we found ourselves in two years ago, when all anyone could talk about was how much money we'd spent and how the likes of André Schürrle had absolutely no interest in whether we succeeded or failed. Thanks to Parker, that's not the case this time around and as he told FFCtv after the Liverpool game, "The environment and culture that these players have been around and that we've created has been vitally important... I have full belief, and I constantly say it, in every single one of these players."

Whether that proves to be enough or not will be the focus of the coming weeks. But regardless of our ultimate fate, no one can question the character of this group of players or the culture that Scott Parker has established. And as a fan of a newly-promoted team that's been in the relegation zone for much of the season, that's all you can really ask for.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-03-12-how-the-clubs-culture-will-be-key-to-survival/

WhiteJC

Mr Khan's Programme Notes

Several years ago, while we were in the Championship, our squad attended a Jacksonville Jaguars game at Wembley Stadium and a number of the players came to visit at half-time. I had a wonderful conversation with Kevin McDonald, but what I enjoyed most was watching him introduce himself and mix and engage with our guests, most total strangers, many from the U.S. Instantly, everyone became a Fulham supporter and their favourite player was Kevin McDonald.

Anyone who knows Kevin can appreciate that anecdote. He's a very special person. I thought then how fortunate we are to have Kevin representing Fulham Football Club, and still do today. That's why I wanted to begin these programme notes by asking everyone to continue supporting Kevin, who revealed recently that he is preparing to have a kidney transplant operation very soon.

As you know by now, Kevin felt it was important to share a candid assessment of his health, how he is currently feeling and details of the impending operation. Football is a sport we all dearly love and while Kevin's passion hasn't diminished – he continues to works with our Academy Under-23 and Under-18 sides this season while taking his coaching badges – sometimes there is a need for a pause, as Kevin has explained. We've enjoyed two promotions with Kevin, who has been a huge influence throughout our Club, on the pitch and away from the game. Let's all wish Kevin McDonald and his family the very best for a successful operation and steady recovery.

I wish that I were welcoming you to Craven Cottage in person as we host Manchester City.  Every home match here is a special occasion, particularly so under the lights on a Saturday night for a visit by one of the most accomplished clubs in all of football. But given our recent form highlighted by Sunday's outstanding 1-0 victory at Liverpool, I know you would have given our team an exceptionally thunderous welcome and sustained energy throughout the evening. We all miss attending matches, and not being able to be at Craven Cottage to back our squad against the league leaders is disappointing, but our continued compliance and respect for everyone's health is paying off. Let's keep it up!

For all of our excellent work over the past several weeks, there is so much still to do, as our position in the table reminds us. Nevertheless, full credit to our head coach Scott Parker, his staff and every player on the squad for making it possible for Fulham Football Club to be in position to determine our fate when few, if anyone, imagined that possible only as recently as January. For instance, who thought it possible that we'd make two trips to Merseyside and return with six points and two clean sheets? Likely no one, other than Scott and the team.

And though it's been a month since our historic 2-0 win at Goodison Park, this is my first opportunity to welcome back Josh Maja on loan to Fulham and thank him for the brace that will undoubtedly go down in FFC lore but also highlighted a strong run that started a match earlier with a scoreless draw against West Ham United and continued thereafter with three matches unbeaten. Josh was unlucky not to be awarded a third goal in a Fulham shirt against Tottenham Hotspur, but we were reminded of his striking ability in the box and hope there is more to come. Above all, as a club we emphatically responded to the disappointment of the Spurs result with a masterpiece at Anfield, where everyone expected Liverpool to finally end its home losing run at home.  Everyone except us.

So, now we embark on what is essentially the final quarter of the Premier League season, with 10 matches remaining – five at home, five on the road. I am optimistic and confident that the journey ahead will be a rewarding one, but it will take everyone – including our supporters – to band together to make it happen.  Let's be positive and make it happen!

There is so much happening around Fulham Football Club, it's impossible to address it all. I don't want to miss the opportunity, however, to touch on our Fulham Academy.

You may recently have seen the news regarding the Club's compensation claim over the former Academy protégé Harvey Elliott, which was decided in the Professional Football Compensation Committee last month. Harvey is an extraordinary talent who we hoped would continue his career at Fulham and be part of our long-term plans.

Unfortunately, that was not to be, and Harvey decided he wanted to sign for Liverpool.  This was disappointing for us all, not least Huw Jennings and his Academy personnel responsible for nurturing his exceptional talent. What was crucial at this point, however, was that Fulham were compensated for the investment in training costs to develop the player, in line with legislation. I believe last month's landmark award was fair compensation given all the factors involved in making such decisions, and we as a club are thankful to the PFCC for its unprecedented award.

The successful nurturing of Harvey's talent comes as no surprise to me. At the end of last year, our Academy audit report showed that we were the most productive Academy in the whole of the Cat 1, EPL and EFL over the last three years. This metric is based on players either in your own team or playing in a top five league and success in this area has been a key goal since we established the Academy. So, while the raw talent of Harvey is undeniable, it is through the successful implementation of best practice in our Academy that allowed him to flourish, and for that I congratulate Huw and his team for their continued excellence in this important area of your club.

I am equally proud of the fact that Fulham was recently named the most ethical club in the Premier League by the FIFA Ethics and Regulations Watch organisation. This top ranking was awarded after the group's audit of all Premier League clubs in critical areas such as diversity and inclusion, sponsorship, employment practices, finances, fan relations, social responsibility and much more. It bears repeating that the wonderful reputation that Fulham has earned and enjoyed for generations is what attracted me eight years ago to the opportunity to serve as your chairman. Thank you to everyone who is faithful to the high principles that have steered Fulham Football Club since 1879.

Finally, an update on the Riverside Stand, or Fulham Pier. As you've seen on television, good progress is being made. However, that pace will now begin to slow a bit – as expected – due to workers needing to adhere to additional COVID-19 distancing regulations as we transition into the fit-out phase of the project. We believe some seats will be available for next season, with that number being determined by what facilities have been completed as well as what temporary accommodations may be feasible to maximise capacity. The stand may appear complete from pitch side at the start of next season, but there will be considerable internal work still to be completed before we are fully open.

With that, we are estimating full completion in the summer of 2022. I'd highly encourage you to visit fulhamfc.com for the March Riverside Update, which provides a nice array of photos and a very interesting video that will take you inside the construction process. I hope you'll conclude that whenever the official opening may occur, the wait will be more than worth it.

As always, thank you for your faith and support in Fulham Football Club. We play for you and are determined to make this unusual season one to celebrate.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/Mr-Khan-s-Programme-Notes/

WhiteJC

Tete: On The Right Track

Kenny Tete feels Fulham are in a good place ahead of Saturday's meeting with table-topping Manchester City.

The Whites have lost just one of our previous seven Premier League matches, winning three, and Tete says his team are in a positive frame of mind.

"It's going to be hard, but Liverpool was hard, too," he said of the weekend's test. "We're playing at home and we've had all week to discuss how we're going to do it.

"We've had all week to train ahead of the next match. I feel good, the team feels good as well, so we're ready.

"I feel we played a lot of good games without getting good results. [Now] everything is going well and the results are starting to get better, and we're on the right track.

"We have to stay together, we have to keep believing, and it will come."

Tete has positive memories of facing City, having come off the bench for Lyon in their Champions League Quarter-Final victory last season.

"That was a great game to be honest," he recalled. "We knew them already as we played the season before against them and we also had two good results.

"They were a really good opponent for Lyon in that time! It was hard to come in [as a substitute] but it was a great game and we did so well."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/Tete-On-The-Right-Track/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Manchester City – Premier League Preview, Team News & Predicted Line-ups

The stakes are high for relegation-threatened Fulham as they entertain Premier League pacesetters Manchester City at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The hosts are chasing their first top-flight home win against this opposition in the 21st century, having lost seven of their 13 encounters this millennium (D6).

Fulham's Premier League status is hanging in the balance, as they currently sit in the drop zone but level on points with 17th-placed Brighton & Hove Albion.

Meanwhile, the Cityzens will be looking to extend their winning run against the Cottagers to 11 matches in all competitions and move a step closer towards lifting the Premier League title.

Fulham Preview

Low scoring has been a common theme in Fulham's recent Premier League fixtures, as all of the last eight have featured under 2.5 total goals.

The clean-sheet theme remains equally significant, as eight of their previous ten top-flight matches have seen one or both sides fail to get on the scoresheet.

Scott Parker's men have won three of their last six Premier League games (D2, L1), one more than they had in their first 22 in the competition this season (W2, D9, L11).

However, it will be a daunting task for the Cottagers to keep their form going against a side they have failed to defeat in their last 13 Premier League meetings (D3, L10).

Indeed, Fulham have lost their eight top-flight head-to-head clashes in a row by an aggregate score of 3-23, drawing a blank in each of the last four.

Manchester City

The runaway Premier League leaders bounced back from a 2-0 home defeat to Manchester United with a 5-2 thumping of Southampton in midweek.

Pep Guardiola's men currently enjoy a seven-match winning streak away from home in the Premier League, having returned a +16 goal difference from that run (GF:19, GA:3).

Although just 38.46% of their away Premier League fixtures this season have produced 2+ goals before half-time, the Cityzens have bagged a league-high 16 first-half goals on the road.

Starting well will boost City's chances of winning here, knowing they have won 94.12% of the Premier League games in which they were leading at half-time this term (GP18 – W17, D1).

They were 2-0 ahead at the interval in both of their previous top-flight trips to Craven Cottage, subsequently winning both of those encounters by a two-goal margin.

Team News

Fulham

Out: Tom Cairney, Marek Rodak.

Doubts: N/A

Manchester City

Out: Nathan Ake

Doubts: N/A

Predicted Line-ups

Fulham (4-4-2): Alphonse Areola; Kenny Tete, Joachim Andersen, Tosin Adarabioyo, Ola Aina; Bobby Reid, Mario Lemina, Harrison Reed, Ademola Lookman; Josh Maja, Ivan Cavaliero.

Manchester City (4-3-3): Ederson; Joao Cancelo, Ruben Dias, John Stones, Oleksandr Zinchenko; Kevin de Bruyne, Rodri, Ilkay Gundogan; Riyad Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Raheem Sterling.

https://sportslens.com/fulham-vs-manchester-city-premier-league-preview-team-news-predicted-line-ups/339574/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Aleksandar Mitrovic's form a concern as Fulham continue survival chase, pundit claims

Seb Stafford-Bloor has claimed that Fulham face a major issue when it comes to their attacking prowess as they look to continue their fight to stay up.

Scott Parker's men have been in incredible form, picking up 11 points over the past six games, giving them a real chance of staying in the division. However, one consistent problem across those games has been a constant struggle to find the back of the net, as they've only scored five times.

Scoring goals has been a problem for them all season, having only scored 22 in the league, and part of that has come down to the issues with main forward Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has gone from scoring 26 league goals last campaign to just two this time around.

And speaking on the Football Writers Podcast, Stafford-Bloor feels that unless he can suddenly pick up that touch from his Championship days, then the goals are going to have to be shared amongst the rest of the team.

He said: "Without question, the Mitrovic issue is really interesting. Mitrovic, at no point, has really looked fit, he doesn't look like the presence he can be. Because at his worst – or best, I guess – he's an absolute pain. He's that kind of old-fashioned, thrusting number-nine type, and that just isn't him this season.

"His touch is off, his instincts in the box are off, obviously, his goalscoring is a long way from what it can be. It's very much a risk to their survival because they're going to have to survive by committee. They're going to have to share around the goals."

TIF Thoughts on Seb Stafford-Bloor's comments on Aleksandar Mitrovic...

tafford-Bloor is right to say Fulham need Mitrovic to be fit and firing soon, because as recent games have shown, like the one against Crystal Palace, the firepower just isn't there amongst the rest of the team to give you confidence they'll be able to survive, even if their defence has improved over the past couple of months.

So whilst the gap to safety has closed from where it once was, they do need that little something extra if they are to keep up with the rest of the teams in the scrap, and maybe Mitrovic will be the man to provide it.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/03/blogs/premier-league/fulham/fulham-aleksandar-mitrovics-form-a-concern-as-fulham-continue-survival-chase-pundit-claims/

WhiteJC

Fulham are 'on the right track,' says Tete

Kenny Tete believes Fulham are 'on the right track' as they attempt to avoid relegation from the top flight.

The Dutch defender feels that Scott Parker's can approach tomorrow night's meeting with Premier League leaders Manchester City in good heart, having lost just once in their last seven fixtures. Tete told the club's official website:

"I feel we played a lot of good games without getting good results. Everything is going well and the results are starting to get better, and we're on the right track. We have to stay together, we have to keep believing, and it will come."

Tete knows that Pep Guardiola's side will represent the toughest possible test at Craven Cottage – but believes the win at Anfield shows Fulham can put Parker's plans into practice effectively.

"It's going to be hard, but Liverpool was hard, too. We're playing at home and we've had all week to discuss how we're going to do it. We've had all week to train ahead of the next match. I feel good, the team feels good as well, so we're ready. We have to stay together, we have to keep believing, and it will come."

The 25 year-old can draw on his own positive memories against Manchester City, having helped his former side Olympique Lyonnais win their Champions League quarter final against the Citizens as a substitute last year.

"That was a great game to be honest. We knew them already as we played the season before against them and we also had two good results. They were a really good opponent for Lyon in that time! It was hard to come in but it was a great game and we did so well."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/fulham-are-on-the-right-track-says-tete/

WhiteJC

Pep Guardiola hails Fulham's 'new generation' of manager

Manchester City travel to Fulham on Saturday when Pep Guardiola will come up against Scott Parker at Craven Cottage.

Pep Guardiola was full of praise for Scott Parker ahead of Manchester City's trip to Fulham on Saturday.

Guardiola takes his City side South to Craven Cottage with Fulham occupying the final relegation place in the Premier League table. Their survival prospects have greatly improved in recent weeks, with some impressive results and performances including last week's gutsy win at Liverpool.

Previewing the game, Guardiola was asked for his thoughts on Fulham, and he didn't need a second opportunity to praise the work done by Parker to rebuild the Cottagers from their relegation two seasons ago.

"Since day one, they play incredible well," the City boss said.

"They were relegated with Scott, after promoted again. In English football there are incredibly good managers, Mr Potter in Brighton, Scott in Fulham. They are innovative, they have courage to play.

"It's my fifth season and I see the quality in these teams, their high standards of playing. We saw the quality with Southampton with Ralph, they are maybe struggling to stay in the Premier League but the way they play is incredible. Fulham is no exception.

"I was really impressed when they play here, their physicality, the strength, their courage, the pace they have upfront. Their stadium is always difficult, the grass isn't in good condition like ours. A real tough opponent. Even the games when they didn't have results, similar like Brighton, they way they play always they create more chances, always positive. A big challenge."

Along with Parker and Brighton boss Graham Potter, Guardiola explained he admired the likes of Ralph Hasenhuttl at Southampton for their no-fear approach despite having smaller resources on offer than the likes of City.

Expanding on what he described as a 'new generation' of manager, led by the likes of Parker, Guardiola said: "I admire the most, doing this at the beginning when it's not going well they continue what they are doing and at the end the results come.

"This sport is incredibly nice, when both teams want to attack, want to create, not just speculate, not just wait for a mistake or for one action. I have a feeling the new generation of managers all of them have this quality, in Spain, Italy, Germany. All of them play like they were managers from Bayern Munich.

"Go forward and try to do it. Sometimes you cannot do it, but when you have this idea you are going to lose, but you are going to draw few games and win the necessary games to be in the Premier League or achieve Europa League or Champions League.

"At the end the spectators will enjoy more, advertising will be higher, TV rate will be higher and everyone in a better position to make football more sustainable. In this world right now it's difficult for everyone.

"Defending ten players behind the ball you can do it [win a game]. As a spectator, I prefer to watch Southampton in the first 15-20 minutes. Oh my god, they are suffering, so it's an alternative. I like to see the teams have the courage to play, that doesn't mean no defend.

"That means 8-11 players defending in 18 yard box, if you defend 11 players 14 metres in front you are closer to the opponent's box. Nobody is guaranteed if they defend 11 players in 18 yard box you have the success to win. Nobody knows it.

"That's why I prefer spectators, managers, the new generation of managers all around the world are trying to see 'we are going to do our game' rather than wait for what the opponent does and wait to see what happens."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/guardiola-parker-fulham-man-city-20113803

WhiteJC

Anguissa: Fulham 'don't give up'

Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa says Fulham's spirit is key to their strong run of results – and has praised Scott Parker for bringing the best out of him.

The Cameroonian midfielder insists his focus is on helping the Whites avoid relegation from the Premier League, with the opportunity to play in a home African Cup of Nations on the horizon next year. Anguissa told the AFP:

"We're all focused on our goal of staying up, and that can be felt in the way we play. We don't give up."

The 25 year-old spoke again of his affinity with Parker.

"I like the man he is before being a coach. He's someone who trusted me, at a time when I was going through something pretty difficult. Thanks to him I was able to get back a taste for football.

Anguissa admits he has developed as a footballer this season – having completed the second most dribbles of any Premier League player this term.

"We knew a Frank Zambo in France who was rather defensive. I want to be a complete player, who can make assists, who can score goals if that contributes to helping my team... and even for my personal satisfaction."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/anguissa-fulham-dont-give-up/

WhiteJC

Man City Matchday Preview

Fulham v Manchester City | Saturday 13th March 2021 | 8pm | Craven Cottage | #FULMCI

The opposition

Prior to last weekend's Manchester derby defeat, City had won their previous 21 fixtures in all competitions, comfortably a record in English football history. The previous best run of consecutive wins was 14, a feat achieved by both Preston North End in 1891/92 and Arsenal in 1987/88.
    They responded to that rare loss in some style, emerging 5-2 victors from an entertaining clash with Southampton on Wednesday evening.
    Despite the fact that there is still quarter of a season still to be played, the consensus is that City are already the Champions-elect, with Pep Guardiola's side sitting 14 points above closest challengers Manchester United. They continue to compete on all fronts, too, with Champions League and FA Cup fixtures against Borussia Mönchengladbach and Everton next week, as well a Carabao Cup Final meeting with Tottenham Hotspur to look forward to.

Fulham team news

Scott Parker confirmed in his press conference that Tom Cairney is back in training, but says that the weekend's game could come too soon for the Club Captain.

Man City team news

Following Nathan Ake's return to training, Guardiola now has a full squad to choose from. Who starts on Saturday remains to be seen, though, with plenty of rotation occurring in recent weeks.

Virtual mascots

Fulham's virtual mascots this weekend are Maria, Jack and Sam. Enjoy the game guys!

Coverage

The match will be broadcast live on BT Sport, while commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid is available for FFCtv subscribers.

Player insight

Joachim Andersen is under no illusions as to how good a side Fulham will face on Saturday, but has belief that his team can spring an upset.

"City are unbelievable," he told FFCtv. "I've been really impressed with how they're playing and how they changed their style from the start of the season to now.

"It's a big, big team and it's going to be a difficult match, but United beat them last weekend, so why can't we do it?

"We have so much confidence, and feel like we can beat anyone."

Form

Fulham: DWDLW

Man City: WWWLW

Pre-match quotes

"You can be on the end of one when you play Man City, and we see that many a time, but it's certainly a game that we want to try and assert ourselves in and try and cause them some problems."

Scott Parker
on Fulham's approach

"Parker is younger. He has hair. He is better than me. I accept a draw."

Pep Guardiola
on who is more fashionable

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/Man-City-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic gave Scott Parker a coaching chance while in charge of Fulham and believes he can guide them to safety - now in Qatar, the Al Gharafa manager has no bitterness about his sacking and dreams 'to be part of the Premier League' once again

Slavisa Jokanovic was sacked as Fulham manager in November 2018
    The Serb was axed after just five points from their first 12 Premier League games
    Fulham have been patient with Scott Parker - who Jokanovic brought into his coaching setup - who had just eight points from 12 games at the start of this term
    Jokanovic is now in charge of Al Gharafa in Qatar, trying to develop their talent
    The 52-year-old has a 'dream' to return to the Premier League dugout one day

Slavisa Jokanovic will kick back in his chair on Saturday night to cheer on Fulham. The view from his Doha apartment is not blurred by animosity, the serene Serb is much more philosophical about his departure from Craven Cottage.

'I'm not crying or looking for some excuse,' says the 52-year-old now coaching Al Gharafa in Qatar. 'In modern football I have to respect the board for giving me an opportunity. Deep analysis is not necessary. I trust in myself.'

Jokanovic was sacked by Fulham in November 2018 as, after promotion, they languished at the bottom of the Premier League with five points from 12 games. He was replaced by Claudio Ranieri and they were relegated. At the same stage this season, Fulham had eight points but this time opted to stand by Scott Parker; recent performances reflect it was the right decision.

Slavisa Jokanovic has no hard feelings about his dismissal as Fulham manager back in 2018

He was sacked as Fulham boss in November 2018 with the club bottom of the Premier League

Jokanovic backs current Fulham boss Scott Parker to keep the club in the top flight this season

'I trust in work not magic tricks,' muses Jokanovic. 'David Copperfield didn't just appear in the club and perform magic. Fulham recognised that Scott was in some sort of trouble but they took a decision to trust in his good work. That work has put them in the position they are in now. I believe they can survive.

'They are a team with great spirit. Scott has chosen the right way to play for survival and this year Fulham are a tough opponent for all clubs. On Saturday, Manchester City will have more quality than other teams but Fulham have enough games left to continue fighting.'

Pep Guardiola was among those to praise Jokanovic's methods during his flirtation with the Premier League. Albeit after a frustrating defeat.

'When we played against City we lost 3-0. We didn't challenge them enough, they won an easy game and I was really dissatisfied with how we lost to soft, naive goals,' recalls Jokanovic. 'When we shook hands, Pep could see I wasn't happy. He said "listen, where you are, at the Etihad and playing this way, you're making the right choice." He wanted to encourage me, to say I was playing the right way, and that I shouldn't have a dilemma over it, that I just needed time to fix it.

'I didn't have a dilemma though. My teams should always compete and fight but you need some colour in this game to enjoy it. Just be prudent with it and don't make mistakes. Guardiola's way is completely valid but outside of that there is huge space for what is really considered the right way.'

It would be understandable for Jokanovic to be bitter about not being given more time but there is no trace. He appointed Parker to his coaching staff at Fulham and maintains a genuine interest in his progress.

Jokanovic gave Parker a break in coaching when he brought him into his Craven Cottage setup

When we put Scott on the staff he had not long finished his playing career and his professionalism was a great example to the players,' insists Jokanovic. 'He was always a great support. I've not kept in contact but followed him from a distance. I believe he has a shiny future in front of him, with or without Fulham.'

Parker's elevation was not the only legacy Jokanovic left behind. His trust in youth saw teenagers Harvey Elliott and Ryan Sessegnon introduced to the first team at just 15 and 16 respectively. Their sales to Liverpool and Tottenham will generate over £30million. Sessegnon did not take Jokanovic's departure well, calling the manager after his sacking.

'Yes Ryan called me,' admits Jokanovic. 'It was a hard moment for him because his habitat had changed. He was upset the first day as it was a bit strange to him, the second a little less and I don't believe he is still crying...

'The truth is all the minutes I gave him were because he deserved it.

'He called and I encouraged him to be brave. At 20, Ryan is still only young. He can still make the step forward, yes he's taken a few backwards, but I trust he will be an important player for Tottenham and for the English national team.

Ryan Sessegnon (second right) flourished under Jokanovic and earned a move to Tottenham

'Harvey's progress was no surprise either even though he was the youngest player. We talk about them as kids but they showed responsibility and had character. The characteristics of first team players.

'Fulham's academy did a good job. Academies are always important but even more so now considering Covid as we have no clear idea what will happen in the future and whether clubs will have opportunity to spend a lot of money. Right now, a lot of teams need to look in the academies as these players exist there.

'Sometimes you can pay a price for these players but in the long term it is of benefit. You don't have to just look out for £100m signings, huge value exists in academies coming from zero.'

Such enthusiasm to work with young players has proved essential at current club Al Gharafa in Qatar where he has been pitting wits against rivals such as former Barcelona midfielder Xavi, now in charge at league leaders Al Sadd. Though allowed five foreign signings, the onus, with the 2022 World Cup in sight, is on developing local talent.

'I think I have 10 players under the age of 23 in the first-team squad,' says Jokanovic. 'The challenge is to lift the level of the players as high as possible for the World Cup. It's the main event, a really important challenge.

Jokanovic is now in charge of Qatar side Al Gharafa and is trying to help develop their youth

'The difficulty is you don't have enough players. The population is around 2.8million and there are around 500 players to make up the first league, the second league, the U19s and more.'

Though Al Gharafa have one of the Star League's youngest squads they are helped by the experience of 31-year-old former Aston Villa striker Jonathan Kodjia and 35-year-old Adlene Guedioura, who played under Jokanovic at Watford. The coaching instruction is delivered in English.

'We try to teach them professionalism, a working culture, as well as improving physically, tactically.'

Jokanovic readily professes love for life in Qatar, the seventh country in which he has coached, but with his family still residing in Spain, it seems inevitable he will return to Europe in the summer.

West Brom, West Ham, Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday have all shown interest since he left Fulham and, though he dismisses such links as 'some fake, some true', there is an overriding sense he has unfinished business in England.

His last efforts in the Premier League drew praise from Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola while he remains the only foreign manager to earn promotion from the Championship with two different teams.

'Firstly, I am under contract, I must respect my club as we still have important games and we haven't discussed my future.

'It's natural for all coaches to dream to be part of the Premier League. I have a short experience.

'I miss the atmosphere, the fans, the passion. I miss people sitting two metres behind you shouting "you are so bad" or "you are so good". That's the criticism you can believe in.

'Unfinished business? This is my life. I trust in myself that I can do a good job whether in the Premier League, the Championship, Belgium, Italy or Spain. I don't intend to wait for a present to drop in my lap. I will work hard for greater opportunities. I won't stop.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9355193/Slavisa-Jokanovic-believes-Scott-Parker-guide-Fulham-Premier-League-safety.html

WhiteJC

Transfer News: Arsenal in talks to sign Ibane Bowat

Arsenal are among the clubs eyeing a move for Fulham's youth prodigy Ibane Bowat, who is also courted by Everton and West Ham.

According to an exclusive report from TeamTalk, Ibane Bowat has become a hot prospect in the market, with Arsenal now emerging as one of the potential destinations. The young defender currently plies his trade with the Fulham youth academy and is regarded as one of the most talented players to come out of the academy in recent years.

Although Bowat is currently a member of the Fulham youth side and not the senior one, the Cotaggers are intent on retaining his services for the long term. The player's current deal, though, expires at the end of the season, putting clubs like Arsenal, Everton, West Ham and even 1.FC Koln on red alert.

Although it appears a move to Bundesliga is off the table, Emirates could emerge as an ideal destination for the young defender, who will be aiming to make his breakthrough in a Premier League side next season.

A centre-back by trade, Bowat has primarily played in the U18 Premier League, during his time at Fulham so far – making quite an impression with his composure and height that makes him an intimidating presence at the heart of the backline. As a result, the 18-year-old Scot has been dominating the youth competitions.

However, it is about time Bowat makes a step forward in his career, and a move to Arsenal, in that regard, should be an interesting option. The Gunners have produced and nurtured a lot of young talents over the years, including stars such as Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe.

In Bowat, Arsenal would find themselves a promising defender, who is more than capable of making a mark not only in the Elite Development Squad but also in the first-team. Mikel Arteta, for one, is already looking to usher in a new era at Emirates, especially following the departures of Shkodran Mustafi and Sokratis.

As such, the 18-year-old could indeed become a useful option for the Spaniard next season, along with another promising centre-back in William Saliba. It is, however, fair to point out that Bowat's future could largely depend on Fulham's fate in the ongoing campaign.

The Cotaggers are still pretty much in the race for survival, especially following their recent win over Liverpool. And the player himself will be aware of the fact that he could potentially earn a promotion to the senior side, should he remain at Craven Cottage and sign a deal – opening up an ideal opportunity for him to make his breakthrough in the top flight next season.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2021/03/12/transfer-news-arsenal-in-talks-to-sign-ibane-bowat/

WhiteJC

Reed lauds Fulham's 'huge belief'

Harrison Reed is confident that Fulham can beat the drop and believes the squad's 'huge belief' will be a huge factor in taking them to safety.

The on-loan Southampton midfielder saluted Scott Parker's man management as pivotal in retaining Fulham's belief following a different start to the season. Speaking to Talksport, Reed was adamant that the Whites are heading into every game looking to pick up three points, regardless of the opponent.

"We have huge belief in our ability and in each other. Listen, we go into every game and the main focus is to win the game. It's not to be just competitive, but to go and get three points. Everyone we work on every week – and we have done for two seasons with this manager – we try to put into the game and being solid and doing the basics really well give us a platform to go on and take points.

Reed feels that Fulham have adapted their style of play after going six league games without a win having returned to the top flight.

"The way we go about the game has probably changed a little bit from the start of the season. Of course, we want to try and play an attractive style of football but I feel like we've found a really good balance now of when to play our stuff, when to be no nonsense and manage the game a little bit. I think that's a big part of why we are getting results now.

It was a tough start to the season and people wrote us off, but that gave us a lot of motivation. From day one, the manager spoke about the season and how we are going to be successful and focusing on our ourselves and truly believing that we belong here. I think that's been throughout the whole season – maybe the results haven't shown that, but we feel like we've been in a lot of games and maybe on the wrong sides of a bit of luck here and there. We've sort of found our feet and we've grown massively as a team now."

The 26 year-old, tipped as a possible contender for Gareth Southgate's England squad after his composed displays at the heart of the Fulham midfield, praised Parker's ability to keep his squad believing even as the gap between the Whites and safety grew over the winter.

"A lot of credit goes to the manager there, because he's got to be sitting at home and thinking the same as us at points of the season. He reads the mood in the camp very, very well. If he ever probably gets a little sniff that that mood's changing or we need a little bit of a pick up, I think he done that this season. He just reminded us that it is so possible to do it. I think there was a time when we were ten points behind Newcastle and Brighton and we had a run of games. We set targets. We hit them and we pulled them both back in."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/reed-lauds-fulhams-huge-belief/

WhiteJC

Premier League planning for 10,000 fans to attend trophy presentation in May

Premier League CEO Richard Masters is optimistic an allocated number of supporters will attend the trophy presentation and he hopes next season will begin with no restrictions in place

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters is planning for 10,000 fans to be in attendance when the champions are crowned in May.

He also hopes the next top-flight season - which is due to begin on 7 August - will be played in front of full stadiums from the outset.

Under the government's road map out of lockdown, 10,000 supporters or 25 per cent of total capacity - whichever is lower - can return to grounds up and down the country on 17 May at the earliest.

The final round of fixtures this season is due to take place on 23 May, while the penultimate round could be moved back to increase the number of games fans can attend.

Meanwhile, the government plans to lift all restrictions put in place throughout the coronavirus pandemic by 21 June.

The easing of restrictions is dependant on the vaccine rollout continuing as planned and new Covid-19 variants not posing a fresh threat.

But Masters is optimistic fans will see the trophy awarded, with Manchester City the likely recipients as they continue their march to the title with a commanding 14-point lead at the top of the table.

"The first step is to see that trophy presented on 23 May, hopefully in front of 10,000 fans, somewhere in this country," he said.

Are you confident of attending fixtures from mid-May onwards? Have your say in the comments.

"Beyond that, it's full stadia, hopefully from the start of next season.

"We need to unite Premier League clubs around a plan for the future, a lot has happened over the last 12 months, and of course next year is the last year of our current financial programme, so we need to set a clear and secure financial plan for the Premier League, and therefore the rest of the pyramid, for the next three years.

"If we can get all of that done successfully by the end of this year it will be a good year. If you could throw in a successful Champions League win and perhaps even England winning the Euros, that would be even better."

The Euros will take place between 11 June and 11 July, with Wembley set to host seven games including both semi-finals and the final.

The tournament is due to take place at 12 venues across Europe but Boris Johnson has offered to host all fixtures amid doubts over UEFA's original plan.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-fans-trophy-presentation-23702955

WhiteJC

Richard Masters reveals £2billion coronavirus losses for Premier League clubs

Premier League clubs are losing millions a week due to the loss of gate receipts, TV repayments, sponsorship deals and hospitality

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has revealed losses will hit £2 BILLION by the end of the season.

That is the staggering cost of the pandemic on top flight clubs from broadcast and match day revenue as this weekend marks a year since football was forced to go into lockdown.

Clubs are losing millions each week on gate receipts, they have had to repay a chunk of the TV cash, suffered losses on sponsorship deals and corporate hospitality on every match day.

Masters has also revealed:

Prem clubs are expecting full stadiums from the start of next season
    The very real "risk" of not being able to complete last season
    His praise for James Maddison leading by example on goal celebrations
    There will be fresh talks in the summer whether players should carry on taking the knee
    This season's champions will get their trophy presented in front of 10,000 fans

Masters has overseen 28 shareholder meetings in the past year - normally there are only five each season - from when Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta testing positive was seen as the catalyst for the Premier League having to shut down for 100 days until games started again.

Masters said: "There have been very significant financial losses, not just in the Premier League but throughout the football pyramid.

"Towards the end of this season, we'll get towards £2billion lost since the start of the pandemic in matchday revenue and broadcast revenue.

"We've kept the show on the road despite all of this. Clubs have continued to invest in competitive matchday squads and also the Premier League has continued to make good its contributions through the pyramid and wider football.

"But I think ramifications are that ultimately if there's less money coming into football, then there's less money going out in the short term."

Masters also recalls the early days when it looked as if Liverpool might not be crowned champions despite being 25 points clear.

"Clearly there was a risk that we wouldn't be able to complete the season," said Masters. "If it was a valid season, what you would do with promotion and relegation. Those were big decisions that were coming down but thankfully we never had to make them."

One of the biggest tests in the past year was the backlash after Christmas after a spike in positive tests and Government warnings over social distancing and goal celebrations.

"Those two things in particular changed dramatically," said Masters. "There was much less social contact between players in that environment. We saw James Maddison showing that it can be done, and I think that significant improvements were made."

Masters says they will "discuss" taking of the knee with players at the end of the campaign and insisted he would be "fine" if players chose to stop in the meantime.

He was also optimistic on the return of fans for the end of the season - and the start of next.

"The first step is to see that Trophy presented on 23 May, hopefully in front of 10,000 fans, somewhere in this country. Beyond that, it's full stadia, hopefully from the start of next season," added Masters.

"We need to unite Premier League clubs around a plan for the future, a lot has happened over the last 12 months, and of course next year is the last year of our current financial programme, so we need to set a clear and secure financial plan for the Premier League, and therefore the rest of the pyramid, for the next three years.

"If we can get all of that done successfully by the end of this year it will be a good year. If you could throw in a successful Champions League win and perhaps even England winning the Euros, that would be even better."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/richard-masters-reveals-2billion-coronavirus-23701532

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo on having to leave Manchester City in order to make his name in the Premier League, getting advice from Joleon Lescott... and why they could not be playing his old club at a better time

Tosin Adarabioyo and Joachim Andersen have helped Fulham go on a run
    Only Manchester City boast a better defensive record over the past 14 games
    Fulham beat Liverpool at Anfield last week, continuing their bid to avoid the drop
    Scott Parker became aware of Tosin when he was working as a coach at Spurs

It is not easy to break through from an English academy, no matter how talented you are. Most boys don't make it.

So when somebody does, pride is involved. It is this that caused Tosin Adarabioyo's mobile phone to buzz one morning this week.

'I had a text from one of the staff members at Manchester City just this morning saying that I was doing really well, and that was really nice to receive,' he tells Sportsmail. 'I know they are all watching.'

Tosin Adarabioyo spent 18 years on Man City's books but left to join Fulham in the summer

Tosin is starring as a central defender in Scott Parker's Fulham team as they aim for survival

The 23-year-old, who prefers to go by his first name as is on the back of his shirt, spent 18 years on City's books but had to leave to make his name in the Premier League.

Tosin is now starring as a central defender in Scott Parker's Fulham team as they endeavour to resist gravity's pull and remain in the Premier League. Last Sunday, Fulham beat Liverpool at Anfield. On Saturday night it's City at home.

Without doubt defensive resilience has been at the heart of Fulham's improvement. Tosin's partnership with the Dane Joachim Andersen has helped their team put together a run that sees only City boasting a better defensive record over the past 14 games.

Asked if it was emotionally difficult to cut ties with his hometown club last September, Tosin says: 'No, surprisingly. Well, I guess some people would say that's surprising. But I was actually fine with it. Ultimately my goal is to be a top player. That was never going to happen at City so I knew I had to get out of there.

Tosin's partnership with the Dane Joachim Andersen has helped their team put together a run

It wasn't the same club I had grown up in. A lot of the staff had gone so it was an easy decision. I felt very comfortable making the decision and coming here and it is working out. I love it at Fulham.'

Tosin's progression from coltish young footballer to a defender tough enough and astute enough to play in the Premier League was helped by loans to the Championship. First it was West Bromwich Albion, then Blackburn Rovers.

Mentally, football played in the streets and parks near his south Manchester home as a child didn't harm him either. Tosin is the youngest of three brothers and all were talented players.

'I was playing with my brothers' mates, boys bigger and better, so they weren't going to pass to me were they?' he smiles. 'You have to go and get the ball for yourself. So I learned to tackle.'

Last Sunday, Fulham beat Liverpool at Anfield, now it is the league leaders City up next

Unlike many top-class defenders, Tosin always wanted to play at the back. Picked up by City playing for his club Chorlton Sports at a very young age, he was accelerated into their age group set-up after just one trial session.

'All I really remember is the floodlights,' he recalls. 'Before then most of my football had been played on the street outside our first house in Whalley Range or in the park. We just used to climb over the fence.'

Staff from Tosin's time at City remember a humble, pleasant kid with an awful lot of talent. By the age of 14 he was already well over six foot tall. The only slight mystery is why City manager Pep Guardiola ultimately decided he didn't need him.

Last January, with City struggling for defenders and forced to play midfielder Fernandinho at the back, Guardiola could have called Tosin back from his loan at Blackburn but chose not to. That was the time the player realised it was time to seek a different path.

'At the start of last season my focus was to perform as well as I could to potentially get back there to City,' Tosin explains. 'But from January until the end of the season, it was solely playing for myself and getting to the level I needed and wanted to get to. Despite the fact City didn't want to call me back at the time, I thought that was Pep's choice and that's fine. We didn't speak about it but that's no problem either.

'Joleon Lescott [City's loan manager] was in regular touch and his advice was always good and appreciated. He has helped me with my game too. But I knew had to find a new place where I was able to go and perform. That is what I have done.'

The away dressing room at Anfield last Sunday was a rare place to be. Big enough to accommodate all of Fulham's players in these days of social distancing, it was a scene of celebration. Fulham looked cut adrift earlier this season but now they are anything but. They have only lost one of their past seven League games, winning three.

'I thought our confidence was sky high before the Liverpool game but it's gone up again now,' he says. 'We are very confident after that. We have all been very positive throughout. We know things can change. It's never right to write things off as it can all change in two or three games.'

Fulham manager Parker became aware of Tosin when he was working as youth coach at Tottenham. He calls him 'a lovely footballer'. Certainly, Tosin would like to be known for more than just the nuts and bolts of defending.

As for his standing as a young man for others from his background to aspire to, he has an interesting view. 'That's a difficult one,' he says. 'I don't think it should be any player's responsibility to be a role model.

'I don't think it is the right term. At the end of the day we are athletes. We are not perfect and people shouldn't necessarily aspire to be us. They can maybe aspire to be that athlete or that performer but I wouldn't say "role model". It's just good to show that these things are possible if you come from those areas.'

For Tosin, progress has been swift recently but also hard-earned. A friendship with one of his formative City coaches, Billy Hughes, endures and reminds him of where has come from. As for the future, he wants to play international football and could represent England or Nigeria. He also wants to play in the Champions League. On Saturday night he just wants to stop City scoring.

'It's always really mentally tough,' he laughs. 'You have to be very aware of their movements, whoever is in that nine role dropping deep to get the ball. It's hard but it was the same at Liverpool. There were times in the game — pretty much the whole of the second half — where you have to have laser focus.

'You can't rest for one moment and it will be the same against City. But to get that clean sheet is something else. It's great afterwards. That's what you play for.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9355719/Tosin-Adarabioyo-spent-18-years-Manchester-Citys-books-faces-Fulham.html