more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 13/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 12, 2021, 11:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Adarabioyo can earn England honours, says Parker

Fulham manager Scott Parker believes Tosin Adarabioyo should be targeting an England call-up as the defender prepares to face his old club Manchester City tomorrow.

Adarabioyo left Manchester City, whom he had been with since the age of five, in October having grown frustrated by a lack of first-team opportunities at the Etihad Stadium. The 23 year-old has swiftly established himself at the heart of a much improved Fulham defence, making 25 appearances and looking very much at home in the top flight.

Parker, who revealed he has had his eye on Adarabioyo since his days coaching the Tottenham youth team, told his pre-match press conference that international honours would be realistic if the centre back continues his impressive development at Craven Cottage.

That [an England call-up] can be a goal for Tosin. I still think there are elements where he can improve for sure. I see that every day.

"I saw him at Blackburn last year, I saw him play for the under-23s at City, his biggest attribute was certainly with the ball. Where I think he has improved drastically is without it. Defensively doing his work.

"That's not to say defensively he wasn't top, but certainly, I think I knew when we were bringing him in that he is a player that has been brought up and schooled as a ball-playing centre-half. When we brought him in, first of all, he needed to realise that he is going to be defending a lot at times in our team, compared to a City or a top side. For defenders, sometimes that's a big transition. That's sometimes hard.

"You need to have that instinct for defending really. I think over the course of this season, he is defending the box much better, with headers. I think he has improved drastically in that element. What you see on the ball is a player that is a top, top player."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/adarabioyo-can-earn-england-honours-says-parker/

WhiteJC

Adarabioyo: 'I love it at Fulham'

Tosin Adarabioyo says he has no regrets about leaving boyhood club Manchester City for Fulham and is looking forward to ensuring Scott Parker's side staying in the Premier League.

The centre back comes up against his old club, where he spent eighteen years, tomorrow night with Fulham hoping to move out of the relegation by following up their win at Anfield with another famous victory. In a detailed interview with the Daily Mail, the ball-playing centre half said he didn't take long to decide to move to London when the Whites came calling on the final day of the summer transfer window:

"No, surprisingly. Well, I guess some people would say that's surprising. But I was actually fine with it. Ultimately my goal is to be a top player. That was never going to happen at City so I knew I had to get out of there. t wasn't the same club I had grown up in. A lot of the staff had gone so it was an easy decision. I felt very comfortable making the decision and coming here and it is working out. I love it at Fulham."

Adarabioyo says Fulham's belief has reached new heights after they extended Liverpool's miserable run at Anfield with a precious win last weekend.

"I thought our confidence was sky high before the Liverpool game but it's gone up again now. We are very confident after that. We have all been very positive throughout. We know things can change. It's never right to write things off as it can all change in two or three games."

The 23 year-old knows he will be in for a stern examination against City, who won the reverse fixture thanks to two early goals from Raheem Sterling and Kevin de Bruyne.

"It's always really mentally tough. You have to be very aware of their movements, whoever is in that nine role dropping deep to get the ball. It's hard but it was the same at Liverpool. There were times in the game — pretty much the whole of the second half — where you have to have laser focus. You can't rest for one moment and it will be the same against City. But to get that clean sheet is something else. It's great afterwards. That's what you play for."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/adarabioyo-i-love-it-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Arsenal among clubs interested in Fulham youngster?

Arsenal are reportedly in talks with Fulham youngster Ibane Bowat over a move to the club.

The 18-year-old has been a key player for Fulham's Under-18s side during the 2020-21 campaign, making 11 league appearances, while he also played a leading role in the team's league success last term.

According to TEAMtalk, a number of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal, are currently in discussions with the centre-back over a possible switch at the end of the season.

The report claims that West Ham United, Everton and Brighton & Hove Albion are also in the hunt, but Scott Parker's side remain hopeful of convincing him to sign a professional contract.

Bowat, who has recently been promoted to Fulham's Under-23s squad, is also said to have been a target for FC Koln, but a potential move to the Bundesliga outfit broke down.

The teenager's existing scholarship contract at Craven Cottage is due to expire at the end of June.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-among-clubs-interested-in-fulham-youngster_439035.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Neil Warnock quizzed on Britt Assombalonga and Marcus Bettinelli contract situations as Middlesbrough assess options
Neil Warnock insists he has no issues with Britt Assombalonga after the striker missed last weekend's game at Swansea through illness.

The 28-year-old frontman will see his Middlesbrough contract expire this summer, while there hasn't been much indication he will be offered a new deal.

Assombalonga wasn't named on the bench at Swansea but posted a picture on Instagram a few days later of himself laughing in training, accompanied with the caption: 'under the weather.'

Duncan Watmore was also said to be feeling ill last weekend and was substituted at half-time against Swansea.

When asked about Assombalonga ahead of Boro's home game against Stoke, Warnock replied: "He's done really well this week in training, and Duncan's the same.

"Duncan looked really lethargic at Swansea I thought, but they've all been outstanding in training this week. There's been laughter and joking, but putting hard work in at the same time, which is what you want as a manager.

"I haven't got a problem. Obviously, I'm not daft and he's not daft, and I think these next two or three games will decide what we're going to do and we'll act accordingly after that.

"There's 11 games to go – there'll only be eight in a week's time – so I think you'll probably have to talk to me after the international break. That's another cock-up isn't it, the international break.

"The Irish lads are playing Wednesday, Saturday and then they're playing on Wednesday night and we're playing Friday afternoon at Bournemouth? It makes me mad.

"You can't tell me that Northern Ireland couldn't get the game on Tuesday if they'd had wanted it. There's no thought whatsoever. Nobody gives a damn about anybody else."

Warnock was also asked about the future of goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, who is on loan from Fulham but will see his contract at Craven Cottage expire this summer.

"I just think with decisions like that, you've got to wait until the end of the season, until we know where we are really," said Warnock.

"We've talked about Britt and Ashley (Fletcher), and people who are out of contract like that, I think that will all be decided later."

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/neil-warnock-quizzed-on-britt-assombalonga-and-marcus-bettinelli-contract-situations-as-middlesbrough-assess-options-3164761

WhiteJC

After his Liverpool masterclass a familiar face could come back to haunt Man City

The Fulham defender was at Manchester City for 17 of his 23 years but will face them at Craven Cottage tonight

Manchester City might live to regret not inserting a buy-back clause when they sold Tosin Adarabioyo.

The 23-year-old will come up against the Blues at Craven Cottage tonight, straight off the back of his towering performance at Anfield which was the bedrock of a surprise win that has re-ignited hopes that the Cottagers can overhaul Newcastle and stay up.

Adarabioyo has an army of admirers and, if Fulham don't beat the drop, there will be a queue of clubs wanting to snap him up.

The Whalley Range lad spent 17 years with City – first linking up with them at five – before finally biting the bullet and joining Fulham in a £1.5million deal, with a year still left on the four-year contract he signed in 2017.

He has forged a partnership with Dane Joachim Andersen which is straight out of the Pep Guardiola playbook for Premier League defenders – two big lads who are utterly comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Long passes out of defence will be Fulham's strategy to try to upset the Blues, but Adrabaioyo and Andersen can also defend.

The Londoners have the best defensive record in the bottom half of the table, better than Everton and Liverpool, and only one goal worse than title-challenging Manchester United and Leicester.

Adarabioyo earned huge plaudits following his performance in shutting out Mo Salah and Co last week, but his brother, and agent Gbolahan, found that a little late in coming.

"Liverpool highlighted that he has been playing that well all season," he said. "Look at the Liverpool game at Fulham (a 1-1 draw in December) and but for a handball that would have been 1-0, too.

"Anfield highlighted he is doing well, but I tell people to look at the numbers. Compare them to other English centre backs – there are two or three who play in the Premier League with better defensive stats. And John Stones is one, playing for the team top of the league."

Those numbers check out. In terms of English centre backs, Stones is top of the heap with 88 per cent of his defensive actions successful this season - while Adarabioyo is tied on 76 per cent with United star Harry Maguire, ahead of internationals like Eric Dier, Tyrone Mings and Michael Keane.

Still young for a centre back, Adarabioyo harbours ambitions of taking his talents onto the international stage, and after playing for England up to under-19 level, he would love that to be for the country of his birth.

Nigeria, the land of his parents, have been pursuing him for years, something Adarabioyo has resisted – as a player desperate to play at a World Cup, that siren call might prove irresistible when next year's tournament comes round, if England have not got there first.

It was always going to be a wrench for Adarabioyo to leave City after so long in sky blue, but loan spells at West Brom and Blackburn had already put some emotional distance between him and City, where he had played eight first-team games.

But after an impressive season at Blackburn in the Championship last year, he was hoping that City's defensive woes, with Aymeric Laporte injured, Stones suffering with injury, personal and form problems and Nicolas Otamendi clearly at the end of his career in Manchester, might earn him a recall.

Instead, Pep Guardiola soldiered on with Fernandinho and sometimes Rodri at centre back, and Adarabioyo stayed in deepest Lancashire.

Rovers boss Tony Mowbray was delighted with the youngster, saying: "He's six ft five ins, he's very very quick, his distribution is as a good as any centre-back in the division.

"All we had to do was work throughout the year trying to make him realise the defensive side was the most important side of his game. It often felt as if he'd want to hit a brilliant pass through the lines and that was what his job was about.

"But I think over the season he grew, and he understood that he was a centre half in a team that was trying to keep clean sheets and win games.

"He grew into heading the ball out the box and dealing with the first ball down the middle — the essential side of being a defender, as opposed to the aesthetic side."

His performances had aroused plenty of interest, with Everton and West Ham among the suitors, but it was Scott Parker at Fulham who managed to persuade him the newly-promoted outfit were the right fit at this stage of his career.

Parker had long been a fan, having coached Tottenham academy teams against a City youth side which were league champions and reached the FA Youth Cup final.

And once he saw that Adarabioyo had translated his easy combination of physicality and footballing prowess to senior level, as Fulham faced Blackburn in the second tier, he was sold.

Fulham could not believe their luck in landing the player for £1.5million – there is a 20 per cent sell-on clause, but no buy-back. Adarabioyo is said to have refused such a clause, wanting to remain in charge of his own destiny.

That destiny looks bright after his start to life in the Premier League, a start which earned him plaudits from Fulham boss Scott Parker who told The Athletic: "He's someone I tracked along the way and we played against him last year at Blackburn.

"He's a lovely footballer. First and foremost — and I've said this to him since he's been in — he's going to get judged on defending. He wants to defend, he's young, his eyes are wide open in terms of him wanting to learn to improve.

"With the attributes he's got, a real willingness to become that better player, he's got every chance. Of course, there are going to be challenges ahead of him now, it's his first time in the division, but he's certainly started very, very well."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-parker-mancity-guardiola-dias-20108498

WhiteJC

Ademola Lookman was just shy but Tom Davies was sabotaged at Everton – now both are back to their best
Lookman had to go to Fulham to find his confidence while the players around Davies changed, and that allowed him to flourish again

I'm not a drinker but I've met lots of people in pubs down the years who told me they could have been a footballer but for their attitude.

And I've seen it for myself in the professional game. At Everton in the 1990s, I saw Michael Branch and Billy Kenny, two players with everything going for them, fall by the wayside.

More recently, everyone kept telling me how good Ravel Morrison was but where is he now? Looking for his 12th club.

If these are extreme examples, you also get players who become decent but could have been so much better – Theo Walcott springs to mind straight away.

For this reason, I've been interested in Ademola Lookman's progress with Fulham this season.

When he was at Everton a few years ago you didn't know what you were going to get out of him.

The talent was there but I wondered at times whether there was the work rate to maximise it.

To make a good career, you need not just the talent, but the attitude and the consistency too.

Perhaps some of it was also down to immaturity as he was only 19 when he moved to Merseyside from Charlton Athletic.

There are different reasons why a player will succeed or not at any given club. Sometimes you can just drop into the right team at the right time. Other times it just doesn't work – that could be about attitude or bad luck as you don't fit in with the coaches.

People have said Lookman's very shy so that may have been another factor at Goodison, but he's 23 now and it looks he's been working hard on his game and is beginning to blossom. He's got four goals and three assists for Fulham and is playing a big part in their revival – my mate with the stats tells me he's ranked sixth in the entire division for taking on opponents (115) and ninth for chances created (47).

Whether Fulham stay up or not, what Lookman has to do is to repeat this next season – wherever that might be given he's currently on loan from RB Leipzig. In football, consistency is everything. What managers want is someone who is an eight out of 10 every week. That's why there's often been a question mark against Ross Barkley: will he produce for me or will he be a liability?

This weekend Lookman's up against Manchester City and I remember the day both he and Tom Davies scored their first goals in senior football in Everton's 4-0 win against Pep Guardiola's side in 2017. If Lookman's had his ups and downs since then, so too has Davies.

He was just 18 then and playing with no fear. He had fresh legs, he ran about and everyone loved him. But the challenge for any player who breaks on to the scene and does well is what happens when, all of a sudden, you don't do so well as it can take time to pick it up again. And I say that from personal experience as when I got to Everton I did okay at first and then I did badly and had to go out on loan to Port Vale.

In Davies' case, he's showed good character to come back as I thought he was sabotaged by some senior players who are no longer at the club. By "sabotaged", I mean they'd give him the ball in bad positions knowing he'd probably lose it rather than take the risk of getting stick themselves.

When I came through all the old pros helped me, even in bad times, but Davies was treated harshly by some older team-mates.

It's something I've seen happen to lots of players – people going through a bad time don't want to take responsibility and so would rather pass the ball to somebody else, even if they're marked, as at least that takes the pressure off themselves.

With Davies, it was "give it the kid and let him mess it up". He was a positive and they turned him into a negative but now, thankfully, he's back to where he was.

I'm pleased as he seems the kind of positive person you want at a club. It looks like the fans are starting see that too which is important as players who graft can sometimes be undervalued. I remember my old team-mate John Ebbrell was somebody you wanted in your team every week but because he just did all the grafting, the supporters thought they should be seeing more. Players like that might not get you out of your seat like a Lookman, but you really do need them too.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/ademola-lookman-everton-fc-tom-davies-sabotage-neville-southall-premier-league-911831?ITO=newsnow

WhiteJC

Fulham FC's Scott Parker is a throwback to a more elegant sporting era

Fulham boss Scott Parker is a lesson in how to dress properly in a dugout – or anywhere, really. Here's how to emulate his Premier League style

Did you see the game last weekend? Liverpool at home to Fulham? It was a sartorial six-pointer. Jürgen Klopp against Scott Parker. Club Shop chic vs Jermyn Street style. Yes, relegation-battling Fulham nicking three, audacious points off the current Premier League champions might have made for a pivotal match out on the pitch, but the real action was actually in the managerial dugouts, the fiercely fought 90 minutes highlighting the differing dress codes in the modern game. Tracksuit and hoodie top played against white shirt and proper suit. Result? The German lost the match and the dressing room. One-nil to Parker and the smart trousers.

The Premier League's technical area is a game of two halves and two distinct looks: athleisure and tailored luxe. The tracksuited manager relies on the club's sponsors for his match-day clobber, so when Saturday comes he'll dress up in head-to-toe man-made fibres, colour-coded to his team's kit, branded with all the correct logos and detailed with his own initials – "JK" for Jürgen Klopp, etc. When it rains, or when the weather gets chilly (during a Champions League tie in, say, Gdansk or Kiev, or a tricky Carabao Cup leg in Rochdale), a branded waterproof hoodie, a baseball cap or one of those strangely emasculating, full-length, school-run-mum down-coat things will be deployed, also initialled, of course.

Exactly why does a man who earns £3.56 million a year choose to go to work dressed like this? A Premier League manager in a tracksuit has likely experienced a career as a former pro player and his chosen attire provides him with the necessary frisson of athleticism and competitiveness; older and slower now, but still very much one of the team. (During his time in the dugout at Spurs, from 2001-2003, tracksuit manager Glenn Hoddle, formerly England player and later England coach, was known for wearing studded football boots, sometimes even matched with team shorts, to home games. The sublimely gifted former midfielder, who scored more than 100 goals for Spurs, was 45 years old at the time, but his touchline gear seemed to be saying, "Listen, lads, if they go three up, I'll put myself on and get us a couple.")

The other approach is more conventionally managerial. Sir Ralph Ramsey, England boss for the national team's famous 1966 World Cup win, wore a suit at every game, assuming the wardrobe of a bank's regional branch manager, perhaps with a career as an army officer behind him. Sir Ralph was all blazers, flannels, charcoal-grey pinstripe suits, brogues, shirts and narrow ties. Tracksuits? For the training ground only.

In the 21st century, European team coaches such as Fabio Capello, Antonio Conte and Diego Simeone, have modernised managerial suiting with the kind of sharply cut cloth that suggests a hostile takeover bid, not just a reversion to 4-4-2, is imminent. And with their cashmere rollnecks and nano-puff gilets, the likes of Manchester City's Pep Guardiola and Germany coach Joachim Löw affect the look of the tech start-up whizz, Ted Talking his way around Davos.

Then there is Fulham FC's Scott Parker, who, 'fit-wise, on his day, is unplayable. Never known to have worn a drawstring waistband or a hooded top in the technical area, Parker's style game is matinée idol good looks assisting high cheekbones, a hard-part, RAF-issue haircut and some well proportioned, Don Draper-esque tailoring.

Scott wears soft-shouldered blazers, simple crewneck merino sweaters and cut-away collar shirts. (Rather tellingly, Fulham FC's official "formalwear partner" is shirtmaker Charles Tyrwhitt.) If a necktie is selected, it'll be slim, knitted silk with a silver bar tie clip holding it in place. Throughout the game and during post-match interviews, the Eton-sweep barnet, described on one Pinterest post as "hairspirational", is always perfect.

In-depth analysis of Parker's performance for 2020/21 reveals a season of confidence and consistency. Back in September 2020, for Fulham's game at Elland Road against Leeds United, Parker relaxed a little, choosing grey narrow-leg, wool trousers and a navy-blue double-breasted cardie (as favoured by Succession's Kendall Roy at family gatherings in Scotland) but still staying loyal to the shirt and tie... and silver tie clip. For a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Newcastle United at St James's Park, it was a navy-blue mohair suit worn with a tone-on-tone dark-blue skinny-fit polo neck. Against Liverpool earlier this month, he was brave and fashion-forward again, channelling wealthy, Swiss banker style in an off-white padded blazer (Moncler? Brunello Cucinelli perhaps?). This famous jacket, by the way, being part of the Parker archive having been first worn for a 2019 clash with then-Manuel Pellegrini's West Ham.

During a (rare) winning streak, earlier on in the season Parker admitted to a "ludicrous" superstition for wearing the same ensemble – short padded jacket, down-filled under-jacket, grey trousers and highly polished burgundy shoes (Berluti, by the look of them) – for several games in a row.

The Parker look, an eye-catching throwback to a more elegant and tattoo-free sporting era, has its roots in Scott's career as a player for England, Spurs, West Ham and Chelsea. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, the Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College boy made sure his football boots were always plain black, he wore his socks rolled up just so, shirt neatly tucked and hair cut as if for national service. He never rocked a Hoxton fin, faux-hawk or a psycho-buzz.

"I was brought up in a slightly older style," Parker once said. "I don't play with my collar up." My dad told me to tuck my shirt in, look good and respect the game, so that has become embedded in me. I am really into looking as smart as I can and have been since I was a kid. I remember the first time I got paid, I went out and spent my wages on clothes. Style has always been a massive focal point for me."

More recently, Parker has described himself – perhaps not aware of the fashion-speak entendre – as the right "fit" for Fulham. GQ can only agree.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/scott-parker-fulham-style

WhiteJC

Dimitar Berbatov states his surprise prediction for Fulham v Man City
Dimitar Berbatov tips Manchester City to drop points in a 2-2 draw at Fulham on Saturday evening

Dimitar Berbatov is backing Fulham to cause an upset on Saturday night by holding Manchester City to a draw at Craven Cottage.

The Premier League leaders made a swift return to winning ways on Wednesday night thanks to a 5-2 victory over Southampton at The Etihad following a 2-0 loss to Manchester United in their derby clash last weekend.

Manchester City secured a resounding win thanks to goals from Kevin De Bruyne, Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez against the south coast club to help the Citizens secure an immediate return to winning ways.

The Eastlands outfit have won their last six Premier League games on the road to establish a 14-point lead at the top of the table.

Fulham secured a 1-0 win against defending Premier League champions Liverpool FC last weekend to give their hopes of survival a massive boost.

Scott Parker's side have only lost one of their last six Premier League games to move level on points with 17th-placed Brighton.

Former Fulham striker Berbatov is backing Parker's men to secure a point against Manchester City in the Premier League on Saturday night.

"If Fulham win that, imagine they beat Liverpool and then Man City and then stay up – Scott Parker would be manager of the season," Berbatov is quoted as saying by Metro. "I will go out on a limb and support Fulham and think this game will be a draw and help United get closer to the title."

Fulham have lost their last 10 games against Manchester City.

Only six teams have a better record than Fulham over the past six Premier League games.

Raheem Sterling and Kevin De Bruyne got on the score sheet in Manchester City's 2-0 win over Fulham back in December.

https://www.thesportreview.com/2021/03/fulham-v-man-city-prediction-dimitar-berbatov/

WhiteJC

Sterling targets more London success

Team news

Fulham report no fresh injury concerns for the visit of Manchester City.

Likewise, Pep Guardiola has a fully fit squad to choose from for the visitors.

Did you know?

Fulham can become only the second Premier League team to beat the champions and leaders in consecutive matches, following their 1-0 victory at Liverpool, after Everton defeated Chelsea and Manchester United in February 2010.

The Cottagers have won three of their last six PL contests (D2 L1), more than they had in their previous 24 in the competition (W2 D9 L13). They have also kept five clean sheets in their last seven league encounters, one more than in their first 21 this term.

Man City have won their last six meetings with Fulham, scoring 18 times without conceding, and have lost just one of their 13 trips to Fulham (W7 D5), suffering a 2-1 defeat in November 2005.

In a run going back to April 2018, Man City's Raheem Sterling has been involved in 16 goals in 16 PL starts in London (10 goals and six assists), netting the winner against Arsenal in the last encounter in the capital.

Match officials

Referee: Andre Marriner. Assistants: Scott Ledger, Simon Long. Fourth official: Robert Jones. VAR: Craig Pawson. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2060391

ffccornwall

Quote from: whitejc on March 13, 2021, 08:34:15 AM
Fulham FC's Scott Parker is a throwback to a more elegant sporting era

Fulham boss Scott Parker is a lesson in how to dress properly in a dugout – or anywhere, really. Here's how to emulate his Premier League style

Did you see the game last weekend? Liverpool at home to Fulham? It was a sartorial six-pointer. Jürgen Klopp against Scott Parker. Club Shop chic vs Jermyn Street style. Yes, relegation-battling Fulham nicking three, audacious points off the current Premier League champions might have made for a pivotal match out on the pitch, but the real action was actually in the managerial dugouts, the fiercely fought 90 minutes highlighting the differing dress codes in the modern game. Tracksuit and hoodie top played against white shirt and proper suit. Result? The German lost the match and the dressing room. One-nil to Parker and the smart trousers.

The Premier League's technical area is a game of two halves and two distinct looks: athleisure and tailored luxe. The tracksuited manager relies on the club's sponsors for his match-day clobber, so when Saturday comes he'll dress up in head-to-toe man-made fibres, colour-coded to his team's kit, branded with all the correct logos and detailed with his own initials – "JK" for Jürgen Klopp, etc. When it rains, or when the weather gets chilly (during a Champions League tie in, say, Gdansk or Kiev, or a tricky Carabao Cup leg in Rochdale), a branded waterproof hoodie, a baseball cap or one of those strangely emasculating, full-length, school-run-mum down-coat things will be deployed, also initialled, of course.

Exactly why does a man who earns £3.56 million a year choose to go to work dressed like this? A Premier League manager in a tracksuit has likely experienced a career as a former pro player and his chosen attire provides him with the necessary frisson of athleticism and competitiveness; older and slower now, but still very much one of the team. (During his time in the dugout at Spurs, from 2001-2003, tracksuit manager Glenn Hoddle, formerly England player and later England coach, was known for wearing studded football boots, sometimes even matched with team shorts, to home games. The sublimely gifted former midfielder, who scored more than 100 goals for Spurs, was 45 years old at the time, but his touchline gear seemed to be saying, "Listen, lads, if they go three up, I'll put myself on and get us a couple.")

The other approach is more conventionally managerial. Sir Ralph Ramsey, England boss for the national team's famous 1966 World Cup win, wore a suit at every game, assuming the wardrobe of a bank's regional branch manager, perhaps with a career as an army officer behind him. Sir Ralph was all blazers, flannels, charcoal-grey pinstripe suits, brogues, shirts and narrow ties. Tracksuits? For the training ground only.

In the 21st century, European team coaches such as Fabio Capello, Antonio Conte and Diego Simeone, have modernised managerial suiting with the kind of sharply cut cloth that suggests a hostile takeover bid, not just a reversion to 4-4-2, is imminent. And with their cashmere rollnecks and nano-puff gilets, the likes of Manchester City's Pep Guardiola and Germany coach Joachim Löw affect the look of the tech start-up whizz, Ted Talking his way around Davos.

Then there is Fulham FC's Scott Parker, who, 'fit-wise, on his day, is unplayable. Never known to have worn a drawstring waistband or a hooded top in the technical area, Parker's style game is matinée idol good looks assisting high cheekbones, a hard-part, RAF-issue haircut and some well proportioned, Don Draper-esque tailoring.

Scott wears soft-shouldered blazers, simple crewneck merino sweaters and cut-away collar shirts. (Rather tellingly, Fulham FC's official "formalwear partner" is shirtmaker Charles Tyrwhitt.) If a necktie is selected, it'll be slim, knitted silk with a silver bar tie clip holding it in place. Throughout the game and during post-match interviews, the Eton-sweep barnet, described on one Pinterest post as "hairspirational", is always perfect.

In-depth analysis of Parker's performance for 2020/21 reveals a season of confidence and consistency. Back in September 2020, for Fulham's game at Elland Road against Leeds United, Parker relaxed a little, choosing grey narrow-leg, wool trousers and a navy-blue double-breasted cardie (as favoured by Succession's Kendall Roy at family gatherings in Scotland) but still staying loyal to the shirt and tie... and silver tie clip. For a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Newcastle United at St James's Park, it was a navy-blue mohair suit worn with a tone-on-tone dark-blue skinny-fit polo neck. Against Liverpool earlier this month, he was brave and fashion-forward again, channelling wealthy, Swiss banker style in an off-white padded blazer (Moncler? Brunello Cucinelli perhaps?). This famous jacket, by the way, being part of the Parker archive having been first worn for a 2019 clash with then-Manuel Pellegrini's West Ham.

During a (rare) winning streak, earlier on in the season Parker admitted to a "ludicrous" superstition for wearing the same ensemble – short padded jacket, down-filled under-jacket, grey trousers and highly polished burgundy shoes (Berluti, by the look of them) – for several games in a row.

The Parker look, an eye-catching throwback to a more elegant and tattoo-free sporting era, has its roots in Scott's career as a player for England, Spurs, West Ham and Chelsea. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, the Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College boy made sure his football boots were always plain black, he wore his socks rolled up just so, shirt neatly tucked and hair cut as if for national service. He never rocked a Hoxton fin, faux-hawk or a psycho-buzz.

"I was brought up in a slightly older style," Parker once said. "I don't play with my collar up." My dad told me to tuck my shirt in, look good and respect the game, so that has become embedded in me. I am really into looking as smart as I can and have been since I was a kid. I remember the first time I got paid, I went out and spent my wages on clothes. Style has always been a massive focal point for me."

More recently, Parker has described himself – perhaps not aware of the fashion-speak entendre – as the right "fit" for Fulham. GQ can only agree.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/scott-parker-fulham-style

Who was Sir Ralph Ramsey?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Terence Kongolo's jaw-dropping FIFA 21 Ultimate Team revealed

Fulham centre back Terence Kongolo has had his FIFA 21 Ultimate Team revealed, and it includes a recently vanquished Liverpool opponent and a host of other superstars.

Kongolo is perhaps best known for his time in the Premier League with Huddersfield Town, for whom he made over 50 appearances before the south Yorkshire side were relegated back to the Championship.

A loan spell at Fulham later, and the Dutch international has signed permanently for the London side. However, he has had difficulty forcing his way into the team as a resolute defence seeks to keep the Cottagers up.

During his time off, it seems that Kongolo, like many of us, spends his time on video games, specifically EA Sports' FIFA 21. However, unlike some of us, he has a 189 OVR squad and a number of ICONs.

There's of course Kongolo's own 99 overall pro player card, but it's in amongst some jaw-dropping players. Up top is Pele and R9 Ronaldo, with David Beckham, Ruud Gullit, and Neymar also in midfield.

Kongolo is joined in defense by Rio Ferdinand and Javier Zanetti, with Liverpool star Alisson Becker in goal.

Fulham's Terence Kongolo's FIFA 21 Ultimate Team

GK: Alisson Becker – 90
    RB: James Tavernier – 87
    CB: Rio Ferdinand – 91
    CB: Terence Kongolo – 99
    LB: Javier Zanetti – 93
    LM: Neymar – 91
    CM: Ruud Gullit – 90
    CM: Curtis Jones – 88
    RM: David Beckham – 93
    ST: Ronaldo – 94
    ST: Pele – 95

However strong Kongolo's team was, it wasn't enough to overcome the Redditor, who ran out 3-1 winner. It was a tight game though, with just 11 shots between the two players.

His team is truly scary, with only a few areas genuinely up for improvement. As good as Curtis Jones' What If card is, there are plenty of other options, including TOTY or other ICON cards. Neither seem to be out of Kongolo's price range.

https://www.dexerto.com/call-of-duty/dexerto-launches-reverse-sweep-new-cdl-show-with-enable-pacman-katie-bedford-1530535/

WhiteJC

Walker, Laporte, Fernandinho, Silva, Foden out as Pep makes 5 changes – Predicted XI vs Fulham [Opinion]

Manchester City travel to Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Saturday evening and Pep Guardiola could make up to five changes to the side that beat Southampton 5-2 in midweek to allow important players a rest.

Ederson has been a regular in goal and will start between the sticks. He had Aymeric Laporte and Ruben Dias in front of him against Southampton, but John Stones might replace the former at centre-back.

Kyle Walker started at right-back on Wednesday, but he might make way for Joao Cancelo on Saturday. Oleksandr Zinchenko isn't at risk of losing his place to Benjamin Mendy.

Fernandinho was given a rare start in midfield against Southampton but is likely to be replaced by Rodri. Kevin De Bruyne hasn't been at his best since returning from injury but may be given the opportunity to play himself into form. Ilkay Gundogan was named Player of the Month for the second time on the bounce, so he's far too important to leave out.

Riyad Mahrez was outstanding in midweek and should keep his place as reward, but Phil Foden might be rested for Raheem Sterling to start. Bernardo Silva might make way in attack for Gabriel Jesus to prove his worth. Sergio Aguero is knocking on the door but doesn't appear to have Guardiola's trust.

Predicted XI v Fulham: Ederson; Cancelo, Dias, Stones, Zinchenko; Rodri, De Bruyne, Gundogan; Mahrez, Sterling; Jesus

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/walker-laporte-fernandinho-silva-foden-guardiola-manchester-city-fulham-opinion/

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough vs Stoke team news - Kebano starts in one of three changes & Josh Coburn a substitute

How Middlesbrough line-up for the Championship clash with Stoke City at the Riverside Stadium

Neil Warnock made three changes to his Middlesbrough side for the clash with Stoke City, with Neeskens Kebano, Yannick Bolasie and Chuba Akpom forming an exciting three-man attack for Boro.

Kebano and Akpom's inclusions were two of three changes from Warnock as George Saville and Duncan Watmore dropped to the bench for the visit of the Potters.

The third change was enforced, with Djed Spence replacing the injured Anfernee Dijksteel at what would appear to be right wing-back, with a three-man defence of Grant Hall, Dael Fry and Paddy McNair.

McNair could, of course, move forward into the midfield to make it a back four, but with Jonny Howson and Sam Morsy both starting it would seem more likely that McNair will start at the back.

On the bench, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Duncan Watmore are more exciting attacking options for the Boro boss should he need to change the game, while Britt Assombalonga returned to the squad too having missed last weekend's trip to Swansea.

There was also a place on the bench for 18-year-old academy striker Josh Coburn who has netted 11 goals in 14 games for the Boro under-18s this term, as well as one in three appearances for the second string.

There was no place in the squad for either Ashley Fletcher or Marcus Tavernier, though both are nearing a return to action.

Starting XI: Bettinelli, Spence, Fry, Hall, McNair, Bola, Howson, Morsy, Kebano, Bolasie, Akpom

Subs: Archer, Coulson, Fisher, Saville, Johnson, Mendez-Laing, Watmore, Assombalonga, Coburn

Stoke: Gunn, Smith, Norrington-Davies, Souttar, Chester, Mikel, Allen, Powell, Clarke, Brown, Fletcher.

Subs: Davies, Batth, Vokes, Oakley-Boothe, Thompson, Tymon, Forrester, Norton, Matondo.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-vs-stoke-team-news-20134213

WhiteJC

Fulham U18s hit Saints for six

Braces from Jay Stansfield and Michael Olakigbe helped Fulham's under 18s hit Southampton for six at the LSE this morning.

The Whites were in command from the outset, with Stansfield at the heart of most of their threatening moves, and strikes from skipper Idris Odutayo and Scottish forward Kieron Bowie as well as the ex-Exeter teenager gave the hosts a commanding 3-0 lead by half-time.

Odutayo almost headed Fulham in front inside the first minute but the defender's effort was scrambled off the Southampton goalline. Steve Wigley's side went ahead with their very next attack when Luke Harris rattled the crossbar from an Olakigbe corner and the left back supplied a simple finish from the rebound.

Fulham could quickly have extended their lead with Oliver Wright blocking a Harris shot after he had linked up well with Bowie and the lively Olakigbe flashed a drive wide shortly afterwards. Stansfield's first sight of goal saw a speculative shot bravely blocked by Will Tanner but you felt it was a matter of time before the young Whites doubled their advantage.

Stansfield was the architect with a glorious cross that Bowie gleefully converted from six yards out. The England youth international then seized on a dreadful mistake from Wright to roll home a straightforward finish and Fulham could conceivably have gone in at half-time further in front had Imani Lanquedoc kept his strike on target from the edge of the box and when Harris stabbed wide at the back post.

Stansfield, whose comeback from ankle surgery is progressing impressively, laid on the fourth goal with another sumptuous delivery that Olakigbe lashed home gloriously on the volley. Barely a minute later, Stansfield added a fifth with an ice-cool right-footed finish before substitute Jaylan Wildbore spurned a couple of good openings within moments of coming on. Olakigbe completed the rout with a clinical finish with eight minutes remaining – making the most of a kind deflection to round off an excellent individual display.

FULHAM UNDER 18s: Borto; D'Auria-Henry (Tanton 68), Parkes, Williams, Odutayo; Caton (Okkas 62), Lanquedoc, Harris; Bowie, Olakigbe, Stansfield (Wildbore 68). Subs (not used): Araujo, Sanderson.

GOALS: Odutayo (2), Bowie (16), Stansfield (27, 62), Olakigbe (61, 82).

SOUTHAMPTON UNDER 18s: Wright; Tizzard, Payne, Davis, Carson; Wright, Edwards (Attridge 79), Finnigan (Ballard 71), Ross-Lang, Squires; Pearce (Dibling 63). Subs (not used): Reach, Hewlett.

REFEREE: Stuart Kyle.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/fulham-u18s-hit-saints-for-six/

WhiteJC

Premier League hoping 10,000 fans can attend two rounds of games for 'fantastic finale', says CEO Richard Masters

Premier League CEO Richard Masters: "Hopefully the final two of the fixtures of our season will have up to 10,000 supporters in them all"; Masters also sets out ambition for a new "financial programme" for the Premier League and football pyramid

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters say he hopes the final two fixtures of the season can see up to 10,000 fans in attendance.

Fans are set to return to sporting events, in limited numbers, from May 17, subject to further reviews, as a part of the government's four-step road map out of lockdown.

The final weekend of the Premier League season is set to be played on May 23. To maintain a competitive balance and ensure all 20 clubs get to play a home game with fans present, another round of fixtures, yet to be decided, is expected to be shifted to May 18-20.

"The government's road map is really welcome, it sets out a plan for the return of supporters," Masters said.

"Hopefully the final two of the fixtures of our season will have up to 10,000 supporters in them all. We have got to get past those first initial steps in the road map to get there but it will be a fantastic finale to the end of our season."

Masters has said the Premier League are hoping stadiums will be able to open at full capacity next season, as football and the country continues to return to some form of normality.

"First step is to see that trophy presented on May 23, hopefully in front of 10,000 fans somewhere in this country. Beyond that is full stadia by the beginning of next season.

"There is a lot of water to pass under the bridge until that can happen, but that is our goal. A return to full, vibrant stadiums, a return to the normal Premier League.

"We have got to get through step one to step four in the road map and look at the national picture and work with the government to create the conditions for that to happen. We believe it is an achievable goal.

"The vaccination programme is the light at the end of the tunnel. It's the thing that changes everything, from being controlled by the virus to controlling it, and returning to normality.

"If the vaccination programme works in the way the government wants it to, it will bring the return of stadium, theatres, cinemas and ticketed events generally."

'We need to unite Premier League clubs'
Over the last 12 months Masters has had to deal with the challenges brought on by the pandemic, but also the controversial Project Big Picture proposals made last year.

The rejected reduction of the Premier League down to 18 clubs, the potential scrapping of the EFL Cup and the end of the one-club one-vote principle were among the suggestions made in a proposed radical shake-up of English football.

When asked if he thought clubs had acted in self-service during the discussions, Masters replied: "Of course, and that is natural.

"The Premier League is a sporting competition and a very competitive environment. The job of the executives and the board is to try and find a consensus among that. In most occasions we were able to do that and find that right answer to questions with a step-by-step process.

"I think we need to unite Premier League clubs around a plan for the future, a lot has happened over the last 12 months."

Looking ahead to the rest of 2021, Masters added: "Next year is the last year of our current financial programme, we need to set a clear plan for the Premier League and the rest of the pyramid for the next three years.

"If you can throw in a successful Champions League win (for a Premier League side) or even a Euros win (for England) that would be even better."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12244589/premier-league-hoping-10000-fans-can-attend-two-rounds-of-games-for-fantastic-finale-says-ceo-richard-masters

WhiteJC

QPR midfielder retires from international duty and vacates captaincy

Queens Park Rangers loanee Stefan Johansen has announced he is retiring from the Norway national team and in turn giving up the captaincy.

The midfielder made the announcement on his official Instagram page, stating it has been a 'great honour' to both represent his country and to have been captain of the side.

He was made captain back in March 2017, replacing former Hamburg and Hertha Berlin midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred in the role.

Since making his debut for Norway back in 2013 he has gone on to make over 50 appearances, scoring six goals in the process.

Johansen may have kept playing for the international team had they qualified for this summer's European Championships. However, they couldn't get through the play-offs, ultimately losing to Serbia in extra time back in October.

The midfielder is currently enjoying his football out on loan at Queens Park Rangers and could remain at the club beyond this season if all parties agree. He was currently seen as surplus to requirements at parent club Fulham this season but all will depend on what division the Cottagers are playing their football in in the next campaign.

Arsenal midfielder Martin Odegaard, who is currently on loan from Spanish giants Real Madrid, will take over the captaincy from Johansen and will lead out his country for the first time in the up and coming international break.

Johansen will now be able to concentrate on his domestic football where he will be hoping to get QPR up into the top half of the table between now and the end of the season.

https://the72.co.uk/226749/qpr-midfielder-retires-from-international-duty-and-vacates-captaincy/

WhiteJC

Can Scott Parker spring another surprise against Manchester City?

After Fulham's impressive win at Liverpool, Scott Parker faces another stiff test tonight in the shape of runaway league leaders Manchester City. Pep Guardiola's men appear destined to win the Premier League this season – even after losing their incredible 21-match unbeaten record at the hands of local rivals Manchester United. The Citizens are one of the strongest sides in Europe on present form – with plenty of talent and depth in almost every department. The task ahead of Parker, one of the country's most promising young coaching prospects, looks daunting but the Fulham boss has already insisted that he will send his side out looking to claim all three points.

Guardiola's philosophy is keenly understood by observers and coaches across the world now and, even if some of the mystique might have worn off given how much time he has now spent in England, it is incredibly tough to beat. The Spaniard favours a 4-3-3 formation, with overlapping full-backs, a hard working holding midfielder, two advanced playmakers in midfield and two inside forwards on the wings. His side are disciples of tiki-taka football, the style Guardiola introduced and refined at Barcelona, which involves short passing at a high tempo to break teams down. City regularly refrain from shooting from distance, looking instead to to bring the ball as close to the goal as possible to increase their chances of scoring. Given the quality at his disposal, though, it is no surprise that City possess plenty of proficient strikers of a ball from range – so there is danger in almost every scenario.

City's attacking threat is frightening, with the peerless Kevin De Bruyne a metronome in midfied, the lively Raheem Sterling drifting into dangerous areas from out wide and Sergio Aguero, who needs no introduction to Fulham fans. Bernado Silva's devastating dribbling has come to the fore since his namesake David, a mainstay of previous City sides, finally called time on his career in England. Guardiola has gradually blooded the brilliant Phil Foden, widely considered as England's next star, in an advanced midfield role and the gifted youngster has delivered a number of eye-catching displays this season. It has been the understated Ikay Gundogan who has topped the Sky Blue scoring charts this season, chipping in with eleven league goals and compensating for Aguero's injury-plagued season.

City also have a formidable defensive structure with Guardiola's adoption of the Kevin Keegan mantra that 'the best way to defend is to attack' bolstered by a magnificent central defensive partnership in the shape of Portuguese prodigy Ruben Dias, who has slotted in seamlessly since his summer arrival from Benfica, and John Stones, now restored to the first team and targeting an England return in time for the European Championships. Joao Cancelo and Oleksandr Zinchenko, an attack-minded full back who has been retrained from his early role as an attacking midfielder, are serious threats when pushed forward from their defensive positions. That adventurous ethos is afforded the protection of Brazilian international Fernandinho in front of the back four, with Rodri in reserve. Such solidity has meant Manchester City have concededed only 21 goals so far this term – which means Fulham face a mammoth task to score, not just survive.

Given City's strengths, I think Parker should reinstate his 5-2-3 system for tonight's match. The additional defender can help to crowd the box and prevent the visitors from flooding into the area, where they are most dangerous. It wouldn't take much of an adjustment when you consider that Tosin Adarabioyo, Joachim Andersen and Ola Aina have lined up as a central defensive trio successfully already this season. To disrupt City's usual flow, Parker should use his two central midfielders to pin back Guardiola's advanced playmakers – reprising the tactics that were so successful at Anfield last Sunday.

Here is my suggested line-up:

Areola is now Fulham's undisputed starting goalkeeper – and arguably one of the top flight's most consistent custodians. Andersen and Tosin have forged an incredibly impresive partnership at the heart of the Fulham defence – as Parker highlighted in his pre-match press conference, and Aina's versatility has seen him drop into centre back effectively already this season. Kenny Tete has shaken off injury setbacks to have a real impact on his return to the side and a right wing-back role should suit the Dutch international, whose crosses are amongst the most accurate at the club. I would bring back Antonee Robinson at left wing-back. The American international has shown Premier League potential in the early stages of the Fulham career even if his final ball has proven a little bit hit and harsh. There are obviously frailities in his game but Robinson's energy and pace provide a real outlet for Fulham to get forward, especially when City's full backs are likely to be permanently pushed high.

In midfield, the recent use of Mario Lemina has allowed Harrison Reed to come out of his shell, giving the former Southamptin midfielder license to not only win and shuttle the ball, but also look to do something meaningful and creative with it. Lemina has been excellent since returning to the starting line-up with his brilliant strike at Anfield offering swift retribution for the harsh handball that ruled out a deserved equaliser against Spurs. On recent form, I feel as though this is Parker's strongest central midfield partnership, with Frank Anguissa struggling for form since Fulham's COVID outbreak and Loftus-Cheek more of a luxury attacking player at number ten, most useful in games that the Cottagers look to dictate.

Fulham are still struggling to score goals, although Josh Maja demonstrated on debut that he is more than capable of finding the back of the net given regular service. The front three of Maja, an underrated Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ademola Lookman seems like the strongest attacking option for Parker with all three proving at various times this season that they can conjure up magic moments to win games.

As the unstoppable force meets the immovable object, how do you think that the Whites should line-up? And, what do you think are the chances that Scott's men will be able to win some points?

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/can-scott-parker-spring-another-surprise-against-manchester-city/

WhiteJC