watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 17/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 17, 2021, 12:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Southampton sent strong Fulham warning as ex-striker makes relegation prediction

Southampton are now just seven points above Fulham after a poor run of just one win in 12 Premier League games following defeat against Brighton & Hove Albion

Former Southampton striker Kevin Phillips does not believe his old club will be dragged into a relegation battle, despite their poor recent form.

Saints have picked up just four points from the last possible 36 in the Premier League, with Ralph Hasenhuttl's men dropping from being in contention to battle for European qualification to now finding themselves just seven points above the relegation zone with nine games to play.

But while Saints have lost ten of their last 12 games in the top flight, Phillips believes Hasenhuttl's men will be able to avoid getting dragged into the fight to stay in the Premier League.

That comes despite seeing Saints lose 2-1 at home against Brighton at St Mary's on Sunday, which moved the Seagulls to within four points of Southampton in the table.

However, Phillips has sent a warning to his former club, echoing the views of ex-Saints boss Mark Hughes, who said that Southampton could not afford to take the threat of relegation lightly.

"I said that I can't see them getting dragged in, but football changes so quickly – the emergence of how Fulham are playing and that result up at Anfield would have done them the world of good," Phillips said, as reported by FootballFanCast.

"Will they get sucked in? I'm going to put my head on the block and say no, I think they're always liable to pick up a result when you're least expecting it.

"But saying that, they can't be complacent.

"They need to get some more points on the board, and the nearer we get to the end of the season the closer you are to the bottom of that league, and I know I've been there with Southampton being relegated, the pressure builds and players start not performing and making mistakes. Fulham are a very good side."

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-fulham-warning-relegation-prediction-5188358

WhiteJC

Report: Triple player concern emerges at Fulham ahead of Leeds United clash

Fulham could be without three senior players when they host Leeds United at Craven Cottage on Friday night.

That's according to a report from Leeds Live, who say that Scott Parker may be unable to call upon Tom Cairney, Bobby Decordova-Reid and Marek Rodak for the game.

While Leeds go into the game seemingly secure in the knowledge they will be playing Premier League football next season, this is still a huge match for Fulham.

The Cottagers go into the game 18th in the Premier League table, two points behind 17th placed Newcastle, meaning this result could be vital to their hopes of avoiding relegation this season.

However, it seems as though they may have to try and win it without three senior players, judging by this latest report.

Club captain Cairney has been out with a knee injury since December, and Parker has been quoted as saying that while the midfielder is closing in on a return to action, he is unlikely to be ready to feature this weekend.

Backup goalkeeper Rodak meanwhile, is currently out with a finger problem, it could be Fabri who once again deputises for PSG loanee Alphonse Areola from the bench on Friday.

The member of the trio who it seems may have the best chance of returning is Bobby Decordova-Reid.

Having impressed in Fulham's recent win over Liverpool, the attacker was then absent from their subsequent defeat at home to Manchester City, something it has been suggested was down to personal reasons rather than an injury, meaning he could potentially return to action on Friday night.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this impacts the way things play out on Friday night.

With the exception of that defeat to Manchester City, Fulham do come into this one in some strong form that has suggested they may yet be able to get themselves out of trouble in the battle against Premier League relegation.

The fact that they have been able to do that while Cairney and Rodak have been on the sidelines, means you do wonder if those two are players that Fulham will particularly miss on Friday.

Indeed, with that in mind, it does appear that the situation surrounding Decordova-Reid could be the one that both clubs are keeping their eye on most keenly here, for rather different reasons.

https://www.leedsallover.com/report-triple-player-concern-emerges-at-fulham-ahead-of-leeds-united-clash/

WhiteJC

GW29 Differentials: Joachim Andersen

The Scout says Fulham defender can extend his impressive Fantasy record against goal-shy Leeds

The Scout is selecting four overlooked players who could be set for a breakout Gameweek 29 in Fantasy Premier League.
Joachim Andersen (FUL) £4.5m

The Fulham centre-back is owned by only 0.4 per cent of FPL managers ahead of a home meeting with Leeds United.

Andersen has been among the most consistent defenders in Fantasy over recent Gameweeks.

He has produced at least six points in six of his last eight matches.

The Dane has totalled 42 points in that period, combining five clean sheets with an assist and five bonus points.

Andersen's prospects for another shutout are boosted by Leeds' recent record in front of goal.

Marcelo Bielsa's side travel to Craven Cottage having failed to score in four of their last five matches.
Set-piece potential

Andersen's threat from set-pieces could be another route to FPL points on Friday.

He has produced six attempts from dead-ball situations in Fulham's last eight matches, a team-leading total.

Leeds, meanwhile, have struggled to defend set-plays this season.

Away from home, their 62 shots conceded from set-pieces is the third-highest total in the Premier League.

Added to his defensive form, that can help Andersen to extend his run of returns in Fantasy.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2069800

WhiteJC

Fulham's Liverpool hero could be absent for Leeds United game which impacts Newcastle United

Newcastle will drop into the relegation zone should Fulham beat Leeds.

Bobby Decordova-Reid enjoyed an excellent game for Fulham against Liverpool but was subsequently absent for the Cottagers' defeat to Man City (Image: Getty)

Newcastle United will no doubt be keeping a keen eye on Fulham's game against Leeds United on Friday evening.

The Cottagers have impressed since the turn of the year and have given themselves a huge chance of climbing out of the relegation zone.

By contrast, the Magpies have endured a slump that has seen them go from looking over their shoulder to being plunged into a relegation battle.

While Fulham failed to take advantage of Newcastle dropping points against Aston Villa at the weekend as they suffered defeat to Man City, they now face a Leeds team whose recent form has been patchy at best.

The Cottagers know that, with the advantage of playing on Friday evening, a win will take them above Newcastle and out of the bottom three.

Granted, Newcastle will have two games in hand by the time the final whistle rings out at Craven Cottage on Friday evening, but points on the board in a relegation battle are arguably more valuable, particularly with the Magpies facing a crucial six-pointer against Brighton on Saturday night.

So Fulham will no doubt be aware of what a vital game Friday could prove to be - particularly with any dropped points handing Newcastle a huge advantage in the relegation fight.

Scott Parker has built his side's recent upturn in form on consistent team selections, with goalkeeper Alphonse Areola and centre-backs Joachim Andersen and Tosin Adarabioyo forming the backbone of their side.

Yet the Cottagers boss faces some injury problems for Friday's 8pm kick-off.

Tom Cairney and Bobby Decordova-Reid are both doubts, with back-up goalkeeper Marek Rodak definitely absent due to a finger injury.

Club captain Cairney's season has been troubled with a persistent knee injury, which has kept him out of action since December 19, and Parker has admitted the midfielder may need to get some football having returned to training.

The Cottagers' biggest concern will likely be over Decordova-Reid, however, with the former Bristol City man having enjoyed some impressive recent form.

A versatile presence, Decordova-Reid started his career as a central midfielder before being transformed into a striker, but he has recently been playing on the right of midfield for the Cottagers.

He impressed in the recent 1-0 win over Liverpool, being hailed by Parker as 'physically incredible', but he subsequently missed the defeat to Man City.

It has been reported that his absence was down to a personal issue, which could well mean he returns in time for Friday.

If so, his presence will be a welcome one for Parker against a Leeds side who face injury concerns of their own.

Patrick Bamford is being assessed this week after limping out of the goalless draw with Chelsea at the weekend - a game that saw captain Liam Cooper absent due to illness.

Adam Forshaw, Pablo Hernandez and Robin Koch are also not fully fit and none are likely to feature against Fulham.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-leeds-united-team-news-20185922

WhiteJC

View: No choice for Bielsa if Bamford out, Rodrigo not fit enough to lead line

Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa is going to have to pick between Rodrigo and Tyler Roberts to play up top if Patrick Bamford is ruled out of the game against Fulham.

We don't think it's much of a choice.

When Rodrigo signed in the summer, plenty of Leeds fans thought that he was going to be first-choice striker at Leeds.

Given that he was the club-record signing and played as a striker for Spain, this was a fair assessment.

However, it hasn't worked out that way. Marcelo Bielsa has converted Rodrigo into a number 10 and the player has been in and out of the team with illness and injury.

He was subbed as a sub in the last game against Chelsea and Bielsa said after the game that Rodrigo actually gave more than he was expecting after returning from injury.

Given that, we don't think there's any chance that Bielsa will think that Rodrigo can play 90 minutes in the Bamford role, which involves constant running, pressing and a huge work-rate.

That means that Tyler Roberts could get the chance to prove that he can play as a striker in the Premier League.

Zero goals in the top-flight so far say otherwise but Roberts has been unlucky. He had a goal ruled out against West Ham for a marginal offside that Jermaine Pennant said was a "rubbish decision".

He had another ruled out in the game against Chelsea, for another marginal offside, and then almost scored with a brilliant chip that Édouard Mendy just got his fingertips to.

Leeds fans have criticised Roberts a lot this season but if Bamford is out and Rodrigo isn't up to the job, it's going to be the 22-year-old attacker who gets the nod on Friday night.

https://motleedsnews.com/comment/view-no-choice-for-bielsa-if-bamford-out-rodrigo-not-fit-enough-to-lead-line-leeds-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham star proves international boss right – Shows every week he's a 'complete' player

Fulham defender Kenny Tete has proven Netherlands coach Frank de Boer 'right' with his recent impressive displays for the club.

That's according to Algemeen Dagblad, who say the full back is showing he is a 'complete right-back' with his performances under Scott Parker.

Tete has been an ever-present in the last few weeks for Fulham, playing a key role as they've mounted a serious push to avoid relegation.

He was recently in impressive form in the 3-0 defeat to Manchester City, earning plaudits for is display despite his side being pushed aside with relative ease by Guardiola and co.

An incident wherein Tete outmanoeuvred Gabriel Jesus stood out in particular, say the newspaper, with the Brazilian star gave the impression of being 'run over by a truck'.

That small incident was 'confirmation' of what De Boer had been thinking about Tete for years, that he is an 'orthodox full back' who performs his defensive tasks 'excellently'.

This was something he saw while training the player at Ajax, and he's not the only manager to think it, with Ronald Koeman also once labelling the Fulham man the 'most complete full-back' on his list.

That praise received a lot of negative replies and criticism, but the player has bounced back at Craven Cottage and showed against Manchester City the 'usefulness' of having a player like him in the squad.

Indeed, while his 'frivolous' teammates gave away the goals he 'reigned' on the right-wing and his display against Jesus, and Mohammed Salah, another player he 'scares' showed he is not out of place in the national team.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-star-proves-international-boss-right-shows-every-week-hes-complete-player/

WhiteJC

'The curse continues', 'Guaranteed loss' – Key appointment ahead of Fulham trip has these Leeds United fans fuming

Leeds United face their final trip to London of the season this Friday when they face relegation-threatened Fulham at Craven Cottage.

It's no secret how poor Leeds have been in the capital under Marcelo Bielsa, yet to win a game there in his reign, whilst only picking up two points.

However, this week presents their best chance to end that run when they play Scott Parker's Fulham, who are in desperate need of wins to help climb out of the bottom three.

The reverse fixture saw a gripping encounter in Leeds' first game back in the Premier League at Elland Road, where a brace from Helder Costa sandwiched goals from Mateusz Klich and Patrick Bamford to seal a 4-3 win.

Adam Pope has now revealed that the referee in charge of the game will be David Coote:

Coote has officiated the Whites three times this season, with all three games resulting in defeat for Leeds.

He took charge of both games against Wolves, as well as the trip to Tottenham, where Gjanni Alioski was controversially deemed to have fouled Steven Bergwijn inside the box; he also sent off Matt Doherty for a second bookable offence late on in the game.

Leeds fans aren't too keen on this appointment, combined with that London curse...

https://www.leedsallover.com/the-curse-continues-guaranteed-loss-key-appointment-ahead-of-fulham-trip-has-these-leeds-united-fans-fuming/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney on the Super 6 Podcast: Jamie Carragher's 'Fulham are gone' quote gave motivation

Listen to the latest Super 6 Podcast with Fulham captain Tom Cairney joining Laura Woods; play Super 6 on Wednesday for the chance to win £250,000; watch Fulham vs Leeds United on Friday, live on Sky Sports from 7.30pm; kick-off 8pm

Tom Cairney is the latest Premier League star to join Laura Woods on the Super 6 Podcast, discussing Fulham's bid for Premier League survival and Justin Bieber.

Cairney has been out of action since a 1-1 draw with Newcastle on December 19 with a knee injury, but he does seem to be nearing a return as he takes the time to chat to the Super 6 Podcast.

Cairney's side faces a team he was at youth level with for just under 10 years in Leeds United on Friday, a game which you can watch live on Sky Sports, kick-off 8pm.

'Fulham are gone'
Speaking after Fulham's 3-0 loss at home to Aston Villa, Jamie Carragher had this to say:

"Fulham are going down, I've never been more certain about anything in my life. I'm more certain of Fulham going down than Liverpool winning the league, They were a mess the last time they came up. What they don't want to be is a mess. They're going to go down."

It was only three games into the season and Fulham are now only two points from safety with nine games to play. Woods probed the Fulham midfielder regarding whether it affected the Fulham camp and if it gave them any additional motivation at all.

"A little bit, a little bit. I remember after the Aston Villa game at home, I think Jamie Carragher said 'Fulham are gone'. We did speak about that a little bit, I'm not sure he is going to hear this! We did hear that and obviously it is annoying. As professionals you do not want to hear that about you or the team," Cairney told the Super 6 Podcast.

Big fan of Bieber

Football players have a variety of taste in music, and some are more surprising than others, but who is Cairney's guilty pleasure, and does he dare to play it in the changing room?

"It is true. Of course I have been to see him [Justin Bieber] - third row or second row I think. I have seen him a couple of times, I am not a 'super fan'! I like his music, I think a lot of people like his music."

Woods said: "I like his new music. When did you start being his fan? Since day one?", to which Cairney replied: "I'm a 'Belieber'! I sometimes put it on in the changing room."

Too many baths!

Cairney signed a youth contract in 2007 with Hull, and he was living away from his family with another one of his teammates. What learnings were made, and what left the Fulham star bemused during his stay?

"I moved into digs at 16, living with a family. My teenage years were bad. I had a little bedroom. My first experience of digs were not very good. She said I had too many baths so she took the plug, she hid the plug!" Cairney laughed.

"I was only having one a night to pass the time, I wasn't having three a day. I lived with the mum and dad, they had a son, and I had a team-mate who lived with me, so that helped me a little bit. We shared a floor with the son, and it wasn't very good. I was using the hot water but what else was I going to do? I just needed to pass the time!"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12247538/tom-cairney-on-the-super-6-podcast-jamie-carraghers-fulham-are-gone-quote-gave-motivation

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Fulham's Second Half Collapse Against Manchester City

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our post match show of Fulham's 3-0 loss to Manchester City.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/3/16/22334848/cottage-talk-post-match-show-fulhams-second-half-collapse-against-manchester-city

WhiteJC

'Newcastle are going to be worried' - Glenn Hoddle's bleak outlook on the relegation battle

The Magpies head to the South Coast to take on Brighton in a must-win relegation six-pointer on Saturday evening

Newcastle United will be the team in the Premier League's relegation fight that will be most worried about dropping out of the top flight.

That is the verdict of former England manager Glenn Hoddle who believes momentum in the battle to beat the drop is with Brighton and Fulham as opposed to the Magpies.

Steve Bruce's side are in desperately bad form and have won just two of their last 19 matches in all competitions.

18th placed Fulham have closed the gap on Newcastle across the last six weeks from 10 points down to two points heading into a crucial weekend at the bottom of the Premier League table.

The Cottagers could move out of the bottom three on Friday evening with a win over Leeds United before Newcastle head to Brighton, who are one point above United and three above Fulham, on Saturday.

The results this weekend before the March international break could have a huge bearing on the battle to avoid relegation and, although Newcastle hold a two point advantage, as well as a game in hand, over Fulham, it is the out of form Magpies who Hoddle worries about the most.

"Well you don't [score many] when you are down the bottom, that is your problem," Hoddle told the Glenn Hoddle Footy Show when questioned about all three teams' lack of goals this season.

"I think looking at, Fulham and Brighton are very good football teams who play with no fear. In actual fact, Fulham in the first half were very good against Man City.

"They played very well defensively but self-imploded in the second half. But they can brush that under the carpet if they can perform how they did in the first-half.

"They are making it interesting, Fulham. Burnley had to get a wonderful result away from home against Everton because they were being dragged in. Southampton could be dragged in then there is Newcastle and Brighton.

"Brighton have a -3 goal difference which is a massive difference to the rest. That is like an extra point so I think Brighton will be OK.

"You can see Fulham keep pecking away and they have Newcastle on the last day of the season at Craven Cottage and that could be a special game for both clubs.

"Fulham have made it very intriguing and Newcastle are the ones who are going to be worried at this moment of time but a couple of wins can lift you out of the trouble for a week or so.

"There is so much to play for down there. Fulham will believe they can get out of there. They have had some good results, played good football and they create a lot of chances but they just haven't got that clinical finisher at the moment."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-going-worried-glenn-hoddles-20189440

WhiteJC

NEW FOF'cast 🎙🎧 Completely Man Citied

Hi all,

New FOF'cast for you to download and listen to from SoundCloud, iTunes, Spotify etc ..

On this show, we are joined by Owen Smith, Gerry Pimm, and Mike Gregg, as we discuss the following FFC topics;

⚽️ The 3-0 loss to Man City

⚽️ Friends of Fulham Man of the Match

⚽️ Frustrations of Ivan Cavaleiro

⚽️ Bad weekend as Brighton, Burnley win, Newcastle nick a draw

⚽️ Joachim Andersons International callup

⚽️ Friday night's game v Leeds

⚽️ Leeds Predictions

SoundCloud:  soundcloud.com/friendsoffulham/fofcast-completely-man-citied

iTunes: 

Spotify:  open.spotify.com/episode/1r72IRJEpXysy0k2xch4y8

Thanks once again for listening, your feedback is always welcomed to help improve future shows.

#FFC #FULHAMFC #FOFCAST

049:gif