https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 20/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 20, 2021, 12:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-2 Leeds United

Patrick Bamford has scored 14 Premier League goals this season. Harry Kane is the only English striker to score more

Patrick Bamford hopes he can play himself into England's Euro 2020 squad after scoring one and setting up the other as Leeds beat Fulham.

The game came the day after Bamford was left out of Gareth Southgate's squad for the first World Cup qualifiers.

Fulham, meanwhile, missed the chance to move out of the Premier League relegation zone with a third defeat in four games.

Leeds had two goals disallowed in the first half - first when Luke Ayling's header was ruled out by the video assistant referee and then when Raphinha was well offside before slotting home.

They led when Bamford smashed home at the near post from Jack Harrison's cross.

Fulham were level when defender Joachim Andersen volleyed in from Ademola Lookman's corner, his first goal in English football.

But Leeds scored the winner just before the hour mark, as Bamford fed Raphinha, who beat two defenders before poking home.

"I just need to keep working and see if I can get my name in contention for the Euros," Bamford told Sky Sports. "If I keep going as I am I think I'm in with a shot. If you told me at the start of the season I'd be linked with England, I'd say you were bonkers.

"If it comes, it comes. If not, I'll know I've done my best. It was in the back of my mind a little bit I guess. It gives you a bit of an extra fire in your belly."

The result takes Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds up to 11th in the table on 39 points.

Bamford helps Leeds ease scoring problems
Bamford, 27, had only scored one Premier League goal before this season. Two years ago, while in the Championship with Leeds, he looked close to declaring for the Republic of Ireland.

But he has scored 14 top-flight goals this season now - Harry Kane is the only English striker to score more.

England boss Gareth Southgate said Bamford was "very close" to his squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

Former England defender Matt Upson, watching the game for BBC Radio 5 Live, said he was unlucky not to be in the squad.

"He's shown he's at a good level. He's pushing and in real contention," said Upson.

He was ultimately the difference between the teams in a high-tempo encounter.

Leeds had failed to score in four of their previous five games, as many as in their first 23 league games this season.

But, after two team-mates had goals ruled out for offside, Bamford gave them the lead as he showed good movement to lose a defender before hammering in Harrison's cross.

Fulham created plenty of chances after equalising but Bamford kept his cool to feed Raphinha for a cleverly finished winner.

In an eventful game, he was booked for a foul, went close to an own goal and avoided a penalty shout for a handball after a ricochet in the box.

There was a bit of a downside to Leeds' night as Bamford, who had been a doubt with a hip injury, hobbled off after 77 minutes.

Fulham miss big chance in relegation fight
The Cottagers appeared doomed early in the season but a recent revival gave them the opportunity to move out of the relegation zone for the first time since December.

They had several chances, most notably in the first half, and could only take one of them when Andersen smashed home.

The defeat keeps them two points below Newcastle and three off Brighton. Those two sides play on Saturday and will still have a game in hand on Fulham.

This third defeat in four games means the momentum of their previous five-game unbeaten run may have gone.

"The better team won," boss Scott Parker told BBC Sport after the game.

"We couldn't cope with their intensity at times. We didn't want it to become a basketball match because that falls into Leeds' hands. We have to move on."

Ivan Cavaleiro had a shot blocked in the opening 15 seconds to set the tone for a high-energy game.

Josh Maja was denied by a sensational Illan Meslier save, with Ayling clearing the loose ball off the line.

The keeper then denied Cavaleiro from getting on to a poor header back and saved a Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa strike moments later.

Aleksandar Mitrovic replaced Maja at half-time and had to wait until the 89th minute for an effort on target, a header which Meslier saved.

Match stats - Leeds' struggles from corners continue
    Leeds have won away in London for the first time in 17 games in all competitions, with the previous occasion being a 3-1 win at QPR in December 2017.
    Fulham have lost 10 league games at Craven Cottage this season, with only Sheffield United (11) losing more home games in the Premier League this season. The last season in which Fulham lost more home league games was 2013-14 (11).
    This was Leeds' seventh away win in the Premier League this season, the most by a newly promoted side since 2005-06, when Wigan Athletic won eight and West Ham won seven.
    Leeds have completed a league double over Fulham for the first time since 1984-85 in the second tier, last doing so in the top flight in 1967-68.
    United have conceded 11 Premier League goals from corners this season, at least three more than any other side.
    Jack Harrison became the fourth Leeds player to reach five league assists this season after Mateusz Klich, Raphinha and Bamford. Around Europe's top five leagues, only Bayern Munich (six) and Inter Milan (five) have more players with five or more assists.
    Ademola Lookman has been directly involved in Fulham's past five Premier League goals at Craven Cottage (two goals and three assists).

What's next?

It is more than two weeks until either side play again in the Premier League because of the international break. Fulham visit Aston Villa (20:00 BST) and Leeds host Sheffield United (15:00) in a Yorkshire derby on Saturday, 3 April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56369110

WhiteJC

Parker's Post-Leeds press conference

Scott Parker succumbed to defeat against an aggressive Leeds side admitting his team fell short in certain areas.

"I'm disappointed," he stated. "I didn't think we deserved anything out of the game. The better team won. We struggled at times. The one thing you don't want against Leeds is the game becoming a bit of a basketball match. The pressure they put you under, you struggle to make good decisions, we struggled a bit with that. We did get ourselves to 1-1 at half time and looked a threat at set plays."

One of the key turning points was a missed Ademola Lookman chance that immediately led to the Leeds winner at the other end.

"Goals change games and we missed a massive chance to put ourselves in front, within 30 seconds we're picking the ball out of our net. Tonight we needed to be better.

"I wanted the team to try and stay cool and calm to make the right decisions which is easier said than done. Bringing Mitro on gave us that outlet to build on, we tried to run off their man-to-man system. But we need to put the ball in the net."

As we enter the crunch point of the season, Parker knows his team will come back fighting for the remaining eight games.

"I've had to draw on my experiences all year. I'm trying to get my message across. We've given ourselves a good chance, we still have a chance. Don't get too high when you're winning games and vice versa.

"When you're losing you need to understand the need to improve, we have eight massive games and we'll learn from tonight. We'll come back stronger."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/Parker-s-Post-Leeds-press conference/

WhiteJC

Albion see Premier League survival rivals Fulham lose

Albion can move sis points clear of the drop zone – IF they beat Newcastle.

They saw survival rivals Fulham lose 2-1 at home to Leeds this evening.

Albion host Newcastle at the Amex tomorrow (8pm).

Newcastle would have slipped to 18th place had Fulham won.

A 58th-minute goal from Raphinha gave Leeds the points.

He produced slick footwork to finish a lethal counter attack led by Patrick Bamford, just seconds after Ademola Lookman had miskicked in front of goal at the other end.

Fulham posed little threat from then on.

Defeat leaves them still three points behind Albion having played two games more.

Bamford opened the scoring for Leeds in the first half but awful defending at a corner allowed Joachim Andersen to level before the break.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19175029.albion-see-premier-league-survival-rivals-fulham-lose/

WhiteJC

Fulham's relegation fears worsen after defeat against Leeds

Fulham slumped to a potentially damaging defeat to an impressive Leeds side at Craven Cottage.

Goals in either half from Patrick Bamford and Raphina, either side of Joachim Andersen's first Fulham goal, sealed victory for the visitors, who were on top for much of the game.

A win for Scott Parker's side would have taken them out of the bottom three and put huge pressure on fellow strugglers Brighton and Newcastle, who meet on Saturday.

An action-packed first half saw Leeds denied an early lead when VAR decreed Tyler Roberts was offside by the narrowest of margins when crossed for Luke Ayling to head in after eight minutes.

Marccelo Bielsa's side, who were promoted with Fulham last season, dominated the opening half an hour, pinning Fulham deep in their own half for long periods.

Rpahina was then denied a goal by an offside flag before Bamford opened the scoring by nipping in front of Tosin Adarabioyo to side-foot home Jack Harrison's low cross.

But Fulham responded well, forcing two magnificent saves from Illan Meslier who denied Josh Maja and Andre-Frank Anguissa..

The Whites then grabbed the equaliser on 37 minutes when Andersen fired in a Ademola Lookman corner from close range after finding himself unmarked by the Leeds defence.

The second half continued in the same breathless end-to-end fashion and Fulham should have taken the lead when Mario Lemina cut down the right flank and rolled the ball across the box only for Lookman to mess the chance up with a badly-attempted back-heel.

The miss proved to be costly as Leeds immediately went up the field and took the lead.

Kalvin Phillips stole possession from Lemina in the middle of the park and played in Bamford, who in turn rolled the ball to Raphino who applied a clinical finish.

"I am disappointed, I don't think we deserved anything from out of the game if I am honest," said Parker.

"The better team won, we struggled at times.

"One thing you don't want against Leeds with their intensity is to let the game become a bit of a basketball match and with the pressure they put you under you need to make good decisions.

"But we struggled a bit in them moments."

Fulham: Areola, Aina (Tete 73), Andersen, Adarabioyo, Robinson, Zambo, Reed (Loftus-Cheek 69), Lemina, Ivan Cavaleiro, Maja (Mitrovic 45), Lookman.
Subs not used: Hector, Odoi, Ream, Bryan, Kongolo, Ramirez.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulhams-relegation-fears-worsen-after-defeat-against-leeds

WhiteJC

NUFC handed huge boost as Fulham lose to Leeds – Updated Premier League table & fixtures here

A disastrous night for Fulham and potential boost for Newcastle United in the relegation dog fight tonight, with Leeds coming away 2-1 winners at Craven Cottage.

The result means we remain TWO points clear of Fulham, however we crucially have two games in hand on Scott Parker's side.

This now sends us into tomorrow night's clash with Brighton knowing a win would move us FIVE clear of the drop zone – something which should give us extra motivation now we know exactly what is at stake in our relegation six pointer against the Seagulls.

Here's an updated Premier League table after tonight's result, followed by Fulham, Newcastle and Brighton's remaining fixtures:

Newcastle (10 games) – Brighton (A), Tottenham (H), Burnley (A), West Ham (H), Liverpool (A), Arsenal (H), Leicester (A), Man City (H), Sheffield United (H), Fulham (A).

Fulham (8 games) – Aston Villa (A), Wolves (H), Arsenal (A), Chelsea (A), Burnley (H), Southampton (A), Man Utd (A), Newcastle (H).

Brighton (10 games) –  Newcastle (H), Man Utd (A), Everton (H), Chelsea (A), Sheffield United (A), Leeds (H), Wolves (A), West Ham (H), Man City (H), Arsenal (A).

The game started with a Luke Ayling goal...only for it to be ruled out for offside. Leeds did take the lead soon after, however, with Patrick Bamford's near post finish handing the away side exactly what they deserved after a dominant opening half an hour.

That said, the final third of the first 45 belonged to Fulham, with a set piece goal from Danish centre-back Joachim Andersen seeing them head into the break at 1-1.

Thankfully for Newcastle fans watching nervously from our sofas, a mistake in midfield allowed Leeds to run at an exposed Fulham defence and Raphinha made no mistake as he burst in behind and slotted past Areola.

Leeds had their chances to make it 1-3, but it didn't matter in the end as they hung on to secure a win that was celebrated on Tyneside.

That in itself sums up the tragic situation we currently find ourselves in, however there can be no doubting that this result could be significant.

Let's hope we make the most of it and pull off a big win few are expecting at Brighton tomorrow!

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/03/19/nufc-handed-huge-boost-as-fulham-lose-to-leeds-updated-premier-league-table-fixtures-here/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Premier League survival bid suffers major blow after Leeds defeat

FULHAM'S BID FOR Premier League survival suffered a major blow as Raphinha sealed a 2-1 win for Leeds at Craven Cottage on Friday.

Scott Parker's side would have climbed out of the relegation zone for the first time since 20 December if they had managed a rare home victory.

But Patrick Bamford put Leeds in front in the first half and, although Joachim Andersen equalised before the break, Raphinha punished sloppy Fulham defending to win it in the second half.

Third-bottom Fulham remain two points behind fourth-bottom Newcastle, who have two games in hand including a crucial clash with fellow strugglers Brighton on Saturday.

Beaten in three of their last four games, Fulham have now lost 10 home league matches this season.

Survival is still possible given Newcastle's struggles, but with only eight matches left Fulham are running out of time to avoid an immediate return to the Championship.

Mid-table Leeds' first win in four games was their first in London in 17 attempts.

They appeared to have made the perfect start in the eighth minute when Luke Ayling looped his header into the far corner from Tyler Roberts' delivery.

But VAR disallowed the goal after checking that Roberts' arm was narrowly offside before he crossed into the Fulham area.

Fulham's Josh Maja forced a superb save from Illan Meslier with a fierce close-range effort.

Leeds made the most of that escape to take the lead in the 29th minute.

A quick throw caught Fulham sleeping and Jack Harrison found space for a cross to the near post, where Bamford made a perfectly timed run to smash past Alphonse Areola from close range.

It was Bamford's 14th goal of the season but he nearly gifted Fulham an equaliser with a miscued headed clearance that flew just over moments later.

Despite just two goals in their previous nine home league games, Fulham responded well and equalised by exposing Leeds' long-standing set-piece weakness in the 38th minute.

When Marcelo Biela's side failed to deal with Ademola Lookman's corner, Danish defender Andersen got in front of Ayling to volley home from six yards.

Andersen's first goal since his arrival on loan from Lyon last year was the 15th conceded by Leeds from a corner this term.

Meslier kept out Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa's stinging blast just before half-time.

Having showcased his predatory instincts earlier, Bamford turned provider in the 58th minute.

Kalvin Phillips robbed Mario Lemina and Bamford slipped a deft pass through to Raphinha, who punished poor Fulham defending to poke his shot past Areola.

Unable to muster another equaliser, Fulham were left to rue VAR's refusal to award a penalty after Bamford's arm made contact with the ball while he jumped to clear a free-kick.

https://www.the42.ie/fulham-v-leeds-match-report-5386942-Mar2021/

WhiteJC

Fulham squander chance to escape bottom three with defeat to Leeds

Patrick Bamford responded to his omission from the England squad with a goal as Leeds ended their misfortunes in the capital with an entertaining 2-1 win over Fulham at Craven Cottage.

The defeat saw the Cottagers fail to grasp the opportunity to move out of the relegation zone for the first time since December.

After Bamford's 29th-minute opener, Fulham's Joachim Andersen got the equaliser with his first goal for the club, before Raphinha scored his sixth Premier League goal of the season, slotting the ball past goalkeeper Alphonse Areola for Leeds' winner.

Marcelo Bielsa's men had lost all five of their games in London this season, and were winless in their last 16 visits to the capital in all competitions, losing 14.

Leeds' intensity proved too much for Fulham, who remain in the drop zone ahead of the crucial clash between relegation battlers Brighton and Newcastle on Saturday.

Leeds looked to have taken the lead in the eighth minute, only for Luke Ayling to be denied by VAR.

Ayling had lost his marker at the far post and headed home from a Tyler Roberts cross, but after VAR intervened, the goal was disallowed as Roberts was ruled marginally offside in the build-up.

Fulham uncharacteristically struggled to get out of their own half in the early stages of the match, and had difficulty coping with Leeds' energy, especially in the middle of the park.

With Harrison Reed momentarily down, Leeds had the ball in the back of the net for the second time, as Raphinha was played through before slotting the ball past goalkeeper Areola, but the linesman had to wait until the ball was in the back of the net to raise his flag, with the Leeds winger obviously offside.

Fulham, who had been second best in the opening exchanges almost had the opener, when Josh Maja turned in the box before shooting towards goal from close range, but Illan Meslier was able to make the save.

Just moments later, it was Leeds who took the lead. Jack Harrison's cross found Bamford, who made no mistake, putting it past Areola to break the deadlock just before the half-hour mark.

Equalising
Leeds' advantage did not last long however, with stand-in captain Andersen equalising for Fulham from an Ademola Lookman corner.

Andersen beat Ayling to the ball before finding the back of the net with a first-time strike for his first club goal since his arrival on loan from Lyon in the summer transfer window.

It was also the first time Fulham have scored from a set-piece since Matt Ritchie's own goal during the draw at Newcastle in December.

At the start of the second half, Fulham definitely had to weather the Leeds pressure as they pushed for a second, which came in the 58th minute, just after Lookman had missed a chance to put Fulham ahead.

Another quick break, with Kalvin Phillips dispossessing Mario Lemina, before another defensive error from Fulham allowed the ball to be played through to Bamford, who found Raphinha, with the winger able to slot past Areola.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/patrick-bamford-responds-to-england-squad-snub-with-goal-as-leeds-beat-fulham-1099223.html

WhiteJC

Fulham verdict: Lookman's a luxury and Andersen was well below par

The alarm bells are tinkling after Fulham after lost 2-1 to Leeds.

There was a moment with five minutes to go when Scott Parker, lips compressed, was caught staring into the middle distance.

It's the look that says he was thinking about something else – like life back in the Championship.

It also looks as if the wider game is almost up, because this wasn't so much a lost opportunity as a deserved win for United.

Fulham were allowed precious little time to settle on the ball, and when they did, they ran out of ideas in the final third.

There was none of the one-touch swiftness Leeds offered in attack, and in the end, lofted crosses into the box were the mark of a side deep in trouble.

In the first half, Joachim Andersen looked as rattled as at any time since he joined the club.

Lunging at passes, jostled out of his stride, hurried clearances: it's not what we've come to expect from the unruffled Dane.

But in amongst the pell-mell action, he hooked a leg at a corner to score his first goal for Fulham.

It was a moment to savour, because in the second half he like the rest of the defence were constantly on the back foot.

Bad night for Ade
demola Lookman is becoming a luxury.

When he scuffed two shots in the space of three second-half minutes, Leeds scored the winner in between.

The first horrible miss with the goal gaping saw the visitors break away and scuff one themselves, although this one from Raphinha beat Alphonse Areola to sneak inside his near post.

Lookman then half hit one on the turn that dribbled away, and defenders are now wise to a player who stands on the ball just inside the box hoping to cut inside and get away a shot.

He tried it a couple of times in the second half and got nowhere.

At the very end, he was naively caught offside with Fulham on the attack. It might as well have been the final whistle.

Yes, he has potential, but potential doesn't get you Premier League points.

No defending from the front
Fulham attackers can't defend.

This might have been an obvious thing to say 30 years ago, but everyone has to do everything in modern football and Ivan Cavaleiro and Lookman can't.

The Portuguese was caught ball watching for the real Leeds goal when Jack Harrison ran inside him to centre for Patrick Bamford's hit and 1-0.

Although Luke Ayling's earlier looping header was fortuitously offside, keep your eye on Lookman in the replays.

He just allows the United right-back to wander off him for a free header at the back post.

Work needed at both ends of the pitch for the pair.

VAR delivers
The Whites have been on the receiving end of VAR decisions this season.

But these things even themselves out.

The home side were given the elbow when denied a very good goal against Tottenham at the beginning of the month. It cost them a point as technology made the decision.

This time the elbow of Tyler Roberts saved them when Ayling headed in as the TV screen confirmed.

In the end the disallowed goal didn't matter

But on a wider point, when an elbow is the difference between a good goal and no goal, maybe Parker has a point that VAR will eventually stifle the excitement out of the game.

A different Fulham
So how many starting players were left from the side beaten 4-3 at Leeds in September?

Answer: four; Areola, Harrison Reed, Andre-Frank Anguissa and Cavaleiro.

Head coach Parker defended his selection at Elland Road by suggesting that rookie side would have learned.

But he had neither time nor intention of watching the process unfold, and it's no coincidence the arrival of Tosin, Andersen and Ola Aina changed a porous defence into a mean one, at least, until the last two point-less defeats.

The interesting thing is that September's backline in Yorkshire included Michael Hector, Denis Odoi and Joe Bryan, who are ideal for the Championship – and might well be in Fulham's this coming September as well.

Parker's team are going to have to do something extraordinary over the last eight matches, and hope those around them don't.

It's not looking good.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-verdict-lookmans-a-luxury-and-andersen-was-well-below-par

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Leeds United Relegated Fulham Tonight

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This was an emotional episode as Fulham went down 2-1 to Leeds United. Host Russ Goldman believes after the loss that Fulham will be relegated, but co-host Max Cphen still believes their is a chance for Fulham to stay up. They both shared their initial reactions to Fulham's 2-1 loss.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/3/19/22341019/cottage-talk-full-time-leeds-united-relegated-fulham-tonight

WhiteJC

Fulham have 'eight finals' to avoid relegation, says Parker

Fulham boss Scott Parker says the Cottagers have 'eight finals' to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

Parker's men suffered a huge blow on Friday as they lost 2-1 to Leeds United at Craven Cottage.

The game was a big chance for them to get out of the relegation zone for the first time since December.

A win would've taken them above fellow strugglers Newcastle and level on points with Brighton.

However, goals from Patrick Bamford and Raphinha gave Leeds the victory away from home.

Reacting to the defeat, Parker told reporters (via BBC Sport): "Disappointed tonight, we didn't deserve anything from the game and the best team won. We huffed and puffed and were fortunate to go in at 1-1.

"We have a massive chance just before they score but the best team won tonight. We struggled at times and that was disappointing.

"The way Leeds play, they make it end to end, they want it like a basketball match. We spoke about cool heads in those moments but we struggled with that at times. I've said after losses we played really well but that wasn't the case tonight.

"You're always in the game with Leeds because of the way they play. It's not something we've come to see in terms of our performance tonight.

"The game became too eratic and you're playing a team that want the game to be like that, they're the best at it. Under stress you need to make good decisions and we didn't do that.

"We've got eight games, eight finals. We've put ourselves in a great position. Very disappointed with tonight but this is a little blip. We regroup and come back fighting like we have for the rest of the year."

Fulham looked down and out earlier in the season but a recent flurry of results has given them a chance to stay up.

They've recorded wins over Everton and Liverpool to almost catch up with Newcastle and Brighton.

They've also built up a significant gap away from Sam Allardyce's West Brom, who look destined for the Championship.

The first 'final' Parker is alluding to is a crucial match against Aston Villa on April 3.

https://www.football365.com/news/fulham-eight-finals-avoid-relegation-premier-league-says-scott-parker

WhiteJC

Bookies predict Newcastle United will achieve Premier League survival after Fulham setback

Newcastle will not fall into the bottom three ahead of the international break

The bookmakers have now reinstalled Fulham, as opposed to Newcastle United, as favourites for relegation.

The Cottagers missed a golden opportunity to dump Newcastle into the bottom three as they were beaten 2-1 by Leeds at Craven Cottage.

Victory would have lifted them one point clear of Steve Bruce's side but the Magpies now have two games in hand over Scott Parker's men and can move five points clear of them with a win over Brighton on Saturday.

It will also plunge Brighton, who are three points clear of Fulham, back into serious relegation trouble.

The Seagulls are 12/1 outsiders to suffer relegation, while Newcastle are priced at 5/4 with most bookmakers.

But Fulham (10/11), who now only have eight games - only three of which are at home - to remedy their situation, are now odds-on favourites to fall back into the Championship.

Unsurprisingly, the bookies are certain both Sheffield United (1/200) and West Brom (1/100) will join Fulham in dropping down to the second tier.

Burnley are priced at 16/1 and Southampton can be backed at 33/1 if punters believe either of those sides can still be dragged into the relegation mire as we head into the final stretch of the season.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bookies-predict-newcastle-united-achieve-20219237