News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Friends..can you help out a charity in Australia? (no money needed!)

Started by michaelread, December 13, 2010, 10:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelread

Not many people know this about me, but I work with a few charity groups in Newcastle, doing music therapy with a youth group full of kids, some disabled, some a learning or socially impaired, some are just from broken homes.

Part of what I do is, I take these kids to all ages shows, play music with them, teach them music to their limits (some kids can only manage a shaker or something), and basically get them all involved.

The group is run by people my age (20), and it's heavily focused on love. That is to say, love just doesn't exist between two people in a couple but it can be felt by everyone who cares about anyone, pretty corny stuff to some of you perhaps, but to these kids, it means the world that they can feel like they have a family that loves and cares about them.

When I come overseas in January, I am making a movie for these guys, it has a pretty simple concept.

In our group, we use the sign language for the word "Love" to express to someone when you are appreciative of them. For example, we have a young samoan kid who is 16 who is from an incredibly broken home, he struggles to talk about anything in his life, he lives in an area with a lot of socio economic problems, racism, high crime. To help him talk about his struggles and to reach out, the kids will show the "love sign" to make him feel more comfortable. Sounds silly to most people, but it really works.

Basically, my movie is to show these kids that people like this exist all over the world. Not just in their little group, that they can go out and get a job and go out for dinner or into different social events, and know that good people exist everywhere, not just in our group.

While I am overseas, I am gathering large groups of people from all walks of life, to stand up in front of a camera, show the love sign, and basically do whatever they want, but most of all have fun.

Was wondering if some of you would like to be in the video for me. Was thinking maybe we could meet in the pub before the west brom game in January, and I could get you lot to sing a fulham song while doing the sign, i only need about 5 seconds worth of footage.

The movie will be on youtube so, if you don't want to be on the internet (i wont be naming you personally) then you don't need to participate.

Yes! I look a bit woosy asking you guys, but it would mean a lot to me, I've already started the video with a few local towns and faces, so it would be great if the fulham faithful could join me :)

GoldCoastWhite

You're a big soft bastard aren't ya ! - Nice idea Mike and good luck with it.  :045:

CorkedHat

Onya Michael - come by the Rup Pub any Friday night around about closing time and you won't be able to shut the buggers up.
By the way you might get more response if you made it clear in the subject line that you are not looking for money but a chance to star in a movie. :down_under:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

michaelread

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 13, 2010, 12:20:31 PM
Onya Michael - come by the Rup Pub any Friday night around about closing time and you won't be able to shut the buggers up.
By the way you might get more response if you made it clear in the subject line that you are not looking for money but a chance to star in a movie. :down_under:

ah i will do this!

thank you

jarv

Michael,
Well done mate.
For what it is worth, if you are ever in Boston massachusetts, contact me. I (in my first season) am embarking on working with disabled people at a ski resort. Might be something there one day you can use.
We had our first lesson from a one legged skier, how to ski on one leg in order to teach it. It was bloody difficult! Try getting into a ski when you don't have another leg to stand on.

HatterDon

Brilliant Michael. That's the best use of music there is. If you ever get over to the states, I can line up a bunch of disreputable gits with guitars who would drop everything to help you.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

mrska

Id love to help with my mates in the wahoo..  put me down as a deffo  and PM any further details..

duffbeer

Well done Michaelread.  If there was any way for you piece together pieces of video you could get them from many different countries via this site, I bet.

The Equalizer

Put me down too mate. Either in The Bricklayers, or more likely, being dragged down to Wahoo with MrSka and the boys...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

...better make sure the microphone is not too sensitive - oh, and you have widescreen facility, and polarized filters...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

mrska

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 13, 2010, 10:04:29 PM
Put me down too mate. Either in The Bricklayers, or more likely, being dragged down to Wahoo with MrSka and the boys...
Consider yourself dragged EQ... :045:

michaelread

ah, thanks so much guys!

i will be leaving for the UK on Jan 3rd so i will keep you all posted.

That is a good idea about those overseas too

LRCN

ahh, sorry mate will be away until the day after west brom! really nice idea though.

CorkedHat

Quote from: jarv on December 13, 2010, 01:23:02 PM
Michael,
Well done mate.
For what it is worth, if you are ever in Boston massachusetts, contact me. I (in my first season) am embarking on working with disabled people at a ski resort. Might be something there one day you can use.
We had our first lesson from a one legged skier, how to ski on one leg in order to teach it. It was bloody difficult! Try getting into a ski when you don't have another leg to stand on.

Jarv – In Australia we have two snow skiers who used to compete in the Winter Paralympics with phenomenal success. One was blind and the other only had one leg.
When they came back to Oz proudly clutching their medals they were interviewed on a chat show. The host asked them whether they had celebrated after winning their medals.
The bloke with the one leg, Michael Milton, said, "Did we ever. I was legless and he was blind."
This typifies the extraordinary courage and humour in adversity and I congratulate what you and our Michael Read are doing :clap_hands:

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

finnster01

Going out of your way to help others Mr Michael is very important. We never know what will happen to any of us. I salute you son, you are a very good man!  :clap_hands:

I sincerely hope you enjoy your trip to England.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead