watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lookman

Started by perry geyton, April 05, 2021, 09:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Lookman has been awful recently. Perhaps I jinxed him by saying he should be first name on the team sheet. I retract that now.

If Parker plays Lookman instead of MAJA then he is helping Wolves IMO. Parker has to attack for once in his tenure or he will regret it for the rest of his life!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

S.F.Sorrow

If Lookman is injured I would start Joe Bryan in that position. He is the best crosser of the ball in our squad and can provide service for Mitro. Bryan also scored quite a few goals for Bristol City from a wing back position, admittedly in the Championship but some of those goals were superb. He may not be strong enough defensively for the PL but his crossing is superb and his finishing is very underestimated IMO.

If Lookman is fit... I'm not sure to be honest. Back when we signed Lookman it was mentioned that he had a tendency to start brightly at new clubs and then go off the boil. I think this is more or less what we've been seeing. He's also too selfish or perhaps just too unaware of what's happeing around him. Unless he does something really spectacular and scores goals I think Bryan could be a better choice. At least if we start Mitro (and we definitely should IMO).

Lordedmundo

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on April 08, 2021, 07:05:00 AM
If Lookman is injured I would start Joe Bryan in that position. He is the best crosser of the ball in our squad and can provide service for Mitro. Bryan also scored quite a few goals for Bristol City from a wing back position, admittedly in the Championship but some of those goals were superb. He may not be strong enough defensively for the PL but his crossing is superb and his finishing is very underestimated IMO.

If Lookman is fit... I'm not sure to be honest. Back when we signed Lookman it was mentioned that he had a tendency to start brightly at new clubs and then go off the boil. I think this is more or less what we've been seeing. He's also too selfish or perhaps just too unaware of what's happeing around him. Unless he does something really spectacular and scores goals I think Bryan could be a better choice. At least if we start Mitro (and we definitely should IMO).

I agree with all of that. For whatever reason Lookman's form has dropped off badly. Mitro needs crosses into the box and Joe can hopefully provide that and also get into positions to have shots on goal himself.  If Lookman is 'fit' then maybe he will be better coming off the bench for the next couple of games.

I would also put Robinson in at left back. If I remember rightly, he and Bryan have linked up fairly well in the few times they have played together...

RaySmith

I think Lookman is still capable of pulling off that bit of magic, that can result in a goal, though is probably more well marked now.

I think he should still play, if fit, though.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Nick Bateman on April 08, 2021, 02:59:15 AM
Lookman has been awful recently. Perhaps I jinxed him by saying he should be first name on the team sheet. I retract that now.

If Parker plays Lookman instead of MAJA then he is helping Wolves IMO. Parker has to attack for once in his tenure or he will regret it for the rest of his life!

Maja is a poacher not a winger.

perry geyton

Quote from: RaySmith on April 08, 2021, 10:51:20 AM
I think Lookman is still capable of pulling off that bit of magic, that can result in a goal, though is probably more well marked now.

I think he should still play, if fit, though.
Agreed
I'd rather have him then not

Twig

I agree with that too. No way would I start Maja for Lookman it would unbalance the team's shape.

JoelH5

Quote from: Sammyffc on April 08, 2021, 12:59:00 AM
Lookman stats wise is our best offensive player, he has one less goal than bdr but more assists. Dropping him would be absolutely criminal and makes no sense at all

I have taken a look at the stats and Lookman has averaged 0.8 successful crosses a game at home and 1.2 away (1.0 average total). Perhaps he has been told to cut in and not cross but that is pretty damning. Now we have Mitro back, that HAS to change.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

MaximusDecimus

Defenders are doubling up on Lookman which makes him a must starter if fit. He trained yesterday so expect him on the bench tomorrow with the prolific  :005: Cav taking his place.

hovewhite

Until its impossible points wise,then its game on.Think we have got better as season  gone on.

perry geyton

Quote from: MaximusDecimus on April 08, 2021, 04:59:28 PM
Defenders are doubling up on Lookman which makes him a must starter if fit. He trained yesterday so expect him on the bench tomorrow with the prolific  :005: Cav taking his place.
Oh God

Luka

To me he is a one trick pony who will end up a journeyman.
He looked an exciting prospect but reminds me very much of Patrick Roberts.
Easily sussed out.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Luka on April 08, 2021, 09:14:33 PM
To me he is a one trick pony who will end up a journeyman.
He looked an exciting prospect but reminds me very much of Patrick Roberts.
Easily sussed out.
A one trick pony that is doubled up on by the opposition that creates space for other players....which of course is not exploited.

When he is given space, he makes things happen and scares the hell out of opposition, so they just get tight on him. We have been so starved of players that get us on our feet, who get the ball and want to run and beat players. We've got Lookman, RLC and ZAmbo that glide past players. I can't help think that tactically, we've just done things wrong

clarkey

Have him as a sub. He just is not the golden bullet we first thought.

Start with BDR and Mitro up top. Then a midfield three of Frank, Reed and Lemina and back 5 with either Robertson or JB wide on the left, I'd try Joe frankly and get him crossing as much and as fast as he can.

Time to use the bench creatively. Mix it up, change the shape, play faster and keep the defence tight throughout. If we had drawn the last two instead of losing we would be in good shape.

perry geyton

Quote from: clarkey on April 08, 2021, 09:28:13 PM
Have him as a sub. He just is not the golden bullet we first thought.

Start with BDR and Mitro up top. Then a midfield three of Frank, Reed and Lemina and back 5 with either Robertson or JB wide on the left, I'd try Joe frankly and get him crossing as much and as fast as he can.

Time to use the bench creatively. Mix it up, change the shape, play faster and keep the defence tight throughout. If we had drawn the last two instead of losing we would be in good shape.
Not really one of Scott's attributes Is it using the bench wisely

Texas White

Quote from: Nick Bateman on April 08, 2021, 02:59:15 AM

I am sorry but Lookman has been off ever since he missed the penalty. We need somebody else.

S.F.Sorrow

I don't understand why Maja is mentioned as replacement for Lookman. Maja is not a winger. The only way he should start is instead of Mitro or in a 4-4-2/3-5-2 which I can't see happening. Personally I think Mitro is FAR superior to Maja. To be honest I haven't been impressed by Maja at all. He started promising with two goals against Everton but they were tap-ins against a poor Everton side that clearly had not recovered from 120 mins against Spurs.

Personally I think Kebano could have played a part in the current situation. The decision to send him out on a loan was a strange one but clearly Parker doesn't rate him. Which means it's between Lookman and Bryan IMO. With Mitro being the most likely player to score I think Bryan and his crossing ability  is the best option. Lookman is capable of doing the unexpected but on his current form I think he could be a better option as an impact sub.

I also have a feeling we may see Kongolo today. Starting Tosin on his current form could do a lot of damage to a young CB (and to our hopes of survival). If Kongolo isn't ready now he never will be. Surely he must at least be a better option than Ream/Hector? If Tosin starts he WILL be put under pressure by Wolves, if they've done their homework.

toshes mate

I am surprised that SP hasn't tested more thoroughly his partnerships on either flanks this season.  It was an area that Jokanovic had headaches with because he didn't have the numerous options Parker has e.g. who plays bests together on the left out of Bryan, Robinson, Aina, Lookman, BDR etc., with a similar set of options on the right (more so before the winter window and Kebano and Kamara slipping out of the possibilities).  I just do not believe the coaches are looking beyond the 'quality' of the player rather than their match day 'effectiveness' of combinations.  One thing Lookman has been capable of doing is disappearing so effectively out of games, Andersen could find him totally in space ...

Skatzoffc

Quote from: JoelH5 on April 05, 2021, 10:23:43 PM
I think he is one of the main reasons we don't score. His crossing is non-existent. Play JB at LW against Wolves and see if he can actually give Mitro some service

:plus one:
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

bill taylors apprentice

Desperate times, desperate measures!

I would have started Joe Bryan on the attacking left a few weeks back to see what he could deliver.