watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 16/04/21...

Started by WhiteJC, April 16, 2021, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'Spurs will make a move': Journalist suggests Tottenham will bid for £25m star this summer

Alasdair Gold has confirmed on his Youtube channel that he fully expects Tottenham Hotspur to make a bid for Joachim Andersen this summer.

Multiple sources have suggested that Tottenham are interest in the Lyon defender, who has spent the season on loan at Fulham.

And Gold believes that the £25 million-rated player (Telegraph) is one who is right at the top of the Tottenham wishlist.

He now expects Daniel Levy to submit an offer, although whether he can get a deal over the line will depend on Lyon.

"Joachim Andersen has been up again in the press," Gold said.

"I can definitely say that's a player Spurs are interested in. He's a player who ticks all of their boxes for the centre-back type they are looking for in the summer. He's a leader. He is 25 and has Premier League experience. Those are three boxes Spurs really want to tick.

"It depends what Lyon want for him. But I think Spurs will make a move, they will have a go. He's one of a few they like and he ticks all the boxes."

Andersen's price tag will have increased due to his performances for Fulham this season.

The Dane has caught the eye, despite being part of a struggling side.
Tottenham's need for central defenders has been clear throughout the season so far, with Jose Mourinho failing to find a particularly reliable pairing.

And it seems that tightening up the backline will be Tottenham's first priority this summer.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/15/spurs-will-make-a-move-journalist-suggests-tottenham-will-bid-for-25m-star-this-summer/

WhiteJC

Manchester United 'more than interested' in 24-year-old – Player 'hardly has future' at club

Joachim Andersen has impressed for Fulham since arriving at Craven Cottage on a loan deal from Lyon late in the last summer window.

The defender was hopeful his time with the Cottagers would result in "lots of opportunities" from elsewhere.

That has happened now as Manchester United have come forward, according to BT in Denmark. His performances for Fulham has aroused 'strong interest' from big clubs.

It's claimed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are 'more than interested' in the centre-back and the interest from the Old Trafford club in the player is 'massive'.

The Denmark international has a contract until 2024 with the Ligue 1 side, but he 'hardly has a future' at Lyon.

Andersen shares a close relationship with his manager Scott Parker and therefore, BT add he wouldn't be reluctant to extending his stay at Fulham, provided they avoid relegation this season.

The London club are 18th in the table, six points behind 17th placed Newcastle United, who have a game in hand.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manchester-united-more-than-interested-in-24-year-old-player-hardly-has-future-at-club/

WhiteJC

Tottenham's 'interest is massive' for signing – Player's agent 'due to appear' at Spurs next week

Tottenham Hotspur's 'interest in massive' in signing Fulham centre-back Joachim Andersen, according to Denmark's BT.

The defender joined the Cottagers on a loan deal from Lyon last summer and his fine displays for Scott Parker's side have resulted in 'strong interest' from big clubs.

Spurs are among them and they are 'more than usually interested' in the 24-year-old.  It's also explained the Denmark international's representatives are 'due to appear' at the north London club next week.

Tottenham are one of the Premier League sides interested in the centre-back owned by Lyon.

Andersen's current deal with the French club lasts until 2024, but he has no future with them. Therefore, he's likely to make a switch elsewhere in the summer or even continue at Fulham.

BT state the player shares a very good relationship with Parker, who handed the captain's armband to the Dane. However, for him to continue with the Cottagers, they must stay in the top division next season.

Fulham are in the danger zone and are six points behind 17th placed Newcastle United, having played a game more than the Magpies.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/tottenhams-interest-massive-signing-players-agent-due-appear-spurs-next-week/

WhiteJC

Man United, Chelsea, Tottenham, Leicester and Crystal Palace 'in the hunt for Fulham loanee Joachim Andersen... with centre-back's representatives meeting up with Spurs next week over potential transfer'

Joachim Andersen is a man in demand ahead of the summer transfer window
    Andersen has established himself in the heart of the Fulham defence this season
    The Dane joined Fulham on a season-long loan from Lyon last October
    It appears Andersen has no future at Lyon, and clubs are looking to make a move

Joachim Andersen is a man in demand after impressing on loan at Fulham with the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham reportedly interested in his services.

The centre-back has established himself in the heart of defence for Fulham this season, and despite the looming threat of relegation from the Premier League, he has done enough to attract interest from some of the Premier League's elite teams.

According to Danish publication BT Sports' football podcast - Transfer Window - United, Chelsea and Tottenham are in the hunt for the centre-back, who joined Fulham on a season-long loan at the start of the campaign from Lyon.

Defender Joachim Andersen is a man in demand ahead of the summer transfer window

The podcast also reports that the 24-year-old's representatives are set to meet with Tottenham next week regarding a potential transfer in the summer after Sportsmail previously revealed Spurs were weighing up a move for him.

Tottenham want to improve their defence with question marks over the futures of Davinson Sanchez and Toby Alderweireld.

But United, Chelsea and Spurs have been joined in the race for Andersen's signature from fellow Premier League sides Leicester and Crystal Palace.

However, despite the heavy interest in his services and with Fulham in a precarious position, Andersen reportedly isn't 'reluctant' to staying at Craven Cottage beyond the season - but this will surely hinge on whether the club remain in the Premier League.

The Denmark international has a close relationship with Fulham boss Scott Parker - and was given the captain's armband in the absence of the injured Tom Cairney.

Fulham will be desperate to make Andersen's loan move permanent come the end of the season after he became an integral part of the backbone as they look to pull off the great escape in the Premier League.

It appears as if Andersen has no future in France, with the 24-year-old having already told Lyon that he is keen to stay in the Premier League and they are happy to recoup funds after feeling the financial pinch of the Covid pandemic.

The Ligue 1 ouftit would want around £25m for Andersen and clubs are set to scramble for his signature in the summer window.

Andersen has established himself as a vital cog of Fulham's backbone this season on loan

Lyon's sporting director Juninho recently confirmed he expects Andersen to stay in England after his impressive form for the Cottagers.

Andersen started his career with Twente before joining Italian club Sampdoria in 2017.

He spent two seasons in Serie A but moved to Lyon in 2019, becoming their record transfer at £26m.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9473735/Man-United-Chelsea-Tottenham-Leicester-Crystal-Palace-hunt-Joachim-Andersen.html

WhiteJC

'A quality player' – QPR urged to make summer move for Premier League ace as uncertainty builds over his future

Kevin Gallen has urged Queens Park Rangers to complete a permanent move for Stefan Johansen this summer.

The Fulham midfielder has spent the second of the campaign on loan with Mark Warburton's side since falling out of favour under Scott Parker at Craven Cottage.

Since moving to Loftus Road Johansen has made 18 appearances for the club, scoring two goals after establishing himself as a vital player in the middle of the park.

The 30-year-old faces an uncertain future with Fulham as they continue to battle against relegation from the Premier League, but while Gallen believes that fans would prioritise a move a Charlie Austin, he's suggested that the club could benefit from adding the quality of Johansen.

Speaking to West London Sport, Gallen said: "The fans' choice is Austin. And that would be a good signing because it gives the fan base such a boost, especially hopefully when crowds come back.

"But for me, I would go for Johansen because I just think he's a quality player.

"He's fit and he's got a good few years left in him. His consistency – I don't think he's been lower than a seven out of 10.

"He can see passes and he can release the ball at the right time. He's a good all-round player."

The verdict

What a move this would be if Queens Park Rangers could pull it off.

While Charlie Austin gets a lot of the plaudits, there's no doubt that Stefan Johansen has been vital to how QPR have played in recent months.

A move could be expensive to do, but if they're serious about challenging for promotion then this could be exactly the sort of signing that they need.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/a-quality-player-qpr-urged-to-make-summer-move-for-premier-league-ace-as-uncertainty-builds-over-his-future/

WhiteJC

Our scoring woes explained
Dan Cooke cracks open the numbers to find the real reason we've struggled to put the ball in the net this season.

Friday night was the 15th game this season where we have failed to score. We haven't scored in 10 of our 17 home games. Scott Parker deserves a lot of credit for how he has turned us into a pretty defensively stable side, but in this relegation run-in, we knew we needed wins, and we simply aren't scoring enough goals to get them.

The question is why? Before I started writing this article, I had my own preconceptions on what our issues are. But I've looked into the numbers to try and find the real reasons behind our attacking impotence.

Cold, hard, facts

That table tells a damning story. 24 goals in 32 games is difficult reading, and at times it has certainly been difficult to watch. For me, there can be two headline reasons behind not scoring goals: not creating chances and/or not converting chances.

Chance creation
Overall, I think we've moved the ball pretty well at the back and in the middle of the park. Yes, there have been errors and games where we haven't done it so well, but when compared to the teams around us, we are superior to most on the ball. However, I think we've struggled once we progress into the final third. From watching our games this season, we seem to struggle to create good quality chances and lack a spark in attack.

So, how good are we at getting the ball into dangerous areas? Starting simple, I would say that you want your team to be getting passes into the attacking third and, crucially, get the ball into the box. These are positions that you can create chances and shooting opportunities from.

Looking at the numbers, we are actually very good at getting passes into the box. We play more successful passes into the box than teams such as Leicester, Spurs and Everton. Other than Brighton, we successfully play the ball into the final third and box more than our relegation rivals. Ultimately, we are getting the ball into the parts of the pitch you need to be in to score goals.

This is backed up by how many touches we have in the opposition box. We once again rank pretty well, sitting ahead of most of our rivals and the teams ahead of us are high-scoring sides competing at the other end of the table (minus Brighton).

I understand that people will rightly say that having the ball in the box doesn't necessarily mean you're creating chances. That's quite right; there are areas of the box that are certainly less threatening to have the ball than others. So the logical next step is to look at our xG. I'm aware there are xG critics, but it is a great measure of the quality of chances that are being created. In Layman's terms, a higher xG means you are shooting from 'good' areas and so are fashioning good chances. Non-penalty xG would perhaps be the best measure of pure chance creation, but I think it makes sense to include penalties, as you've effectively still created a chance by winning a penalty.

We can see we drop down the rankings slightly when it comes to xG compared to the previous measures. However, if you look at the teams we rank above, they are exactly the teams that we would target to do better than (barring freak of data Brighton). Based on these numbers, we are creating the necessary chances to score just over a goal a game.

So from a data standpoint, compared to our peers, we aren't struggling to create chances. We move the ball into good areas and the shots we are having are from good positions. Therefore, the next thing to look at is our ability to convert these chances.

Chance conversion
As some may have spotted, if we're creating chances to score over a goal a game, but we've only scored 24 in 32, then here lies the issue. However, breaking it down step by step should help build a clearer understanding.

If we plot xG against actual goals scored, we can visualise our woes. If you sit above the dotted line, you're scoring more goals than you would expect based on your xG, below the dotted line and you are scoring fewer. As you can see, we sit well below the line. Palace, Southampton, Newcastle (for ease, please just ignore Brighton from now on, they're a pain) all sit above the line. Some of our key rivals are scoring more than they 'should' be and that's important, because if we did the same, we'd be looking at upwards of eight extra goals and consequently, the points that go with those goals. It's the difference between converting losses into draws and draws into wins.

But why? Why are we so badly underperforming our xG? There's another piece of data called Post-Shot xG (PSxG). It is mainly used to asses the shot stopping abilities of goalkeepers. Where xG looks at the chance of a goal based on where the shot is taken from (including many other factors), PSxG looks at the chance of a goal based on the quality of the shot itself, how easy/hard the shot was for the goalkeeper to save. Therefore, we can look at the quality of shots that we are taking.

With this graph, if you sit around the vertical line (the overall league average), you are effectively taking the quality of shot that you would expect based on where you are shooting from. To the right of that, you are taking better shots, and the further left you go, the less you are testing the keeper. That's where we sit. Despite on average having an xG/90 of 1.14, we are turning those chances into a PSxG of 0.94. Put simply: our finishing is poor. A difference of -0.2 per game might not sound like a lot, but after 32 games that's a total of -6.2. So based on our xG, we have created chances to score 35 goals this season, but based on the quality of our finishing, that drops to 29 goals.

This can partially be explained by our inability to hit the target. Just 29% of our shots are on target, which is the second worst percentage in the league (Brighton having the worst, obviously). It's clear that our problems this season lie with our finishing.

I think it's important to look at all of the graphs and pick out not just where we are, but where our rivals are. It helps paint a picture as to why we're now six points adrift. There are teams above us that we could definitely claim to be better than in all areas apart from one. Unfortunately, it's the most important one – putting the ball in the net.

Why can't we finish?
We could probably dig deeper, look at many other graphics, and crunch more numbers, but for me it boils down to one thing: our forwards aren't good enough.

That may sound harsh, and I don't like writing this, because I love this squad; I think a better way to put it is we have a lack of experience. On a whole our squad doesn't have a lot of goals in it, not just this season, but historically. Most importantly, our squad doesn't have many top flight goals to their names at all. We do not have a proven, prolific goalscorer at a Premier League level. I went through our rivals' attacking banks, and counted up the number of goals that they have scored in Europe's top five leagues, and it explains a lot.

Mitrovic sits top for us, with just 24 top flight goals. If we look across the list, you can argue that some of these players aren't the most prolific, but for me they make the difference. Callum Wilson has 10 goals this season, that could be what keeps Newcastle up. Zaha has nine, and Chris Wood has seven. Those goals will almost certainly keep their teams up.

Contrastingly, our historically most prolific striker is having his least prolific season. Mitro has only managed three league goals this year, but without his goals last season, we probably wouldn't have been promoted. And without them this season, we're probably going to be relegated. We're relying on other players to step up, and in fairness to them, Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ademola Lookman have tried to pick up the slack, but it's not been enough.

It was spoken about in the summer and even more so in January, but we were – and still are – crying out for a goalscorer. Unfortunately, we didn't find one. I think Mitro is good enough, but he's had a torrid season and lost his place to Cavaleiro. I'm not blaming Cav, but in his career he has managed 10 top-flight goals, he's not a natural finisher. So, it's no surprise that we haven't scored many, because if your top striker isn't putting the ball in the net, who will?

For me, that top striker is the difference between survival and relegation. And sadly, in this case, his name is Callum Wilson.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-04-15-our-scoring-woes-explained/

WhiteJC

Chelsea join Manchester United and Spurs in transfer battle for Fulham star Joachim Andersen

Chelsea have joined Manchester United and Tottenham in the race to sign Fulham loan star Joachim Andersen this summer, according to reports in his native Denmark. The 24-year-old has enjoyed an impressive spell in west London since joining last summer on loan from Ligue 1 giants Lyon, delivering a number of excellent displays despite the Cottagers' struggles. Lyon intend to capitalise on Andersen's eye-catching form and will cash in on the Danish international, with the tough-negotiating French club setting an asking price of £25million.

Fulham had hoped to turn Andersen's loan stay into a permanent move if they stayed up, but now a host of Premier League sides are queueing up to poach the defender.

According to Danish newspaper BT, both United and Spurs are long-time admirers of Andersen with Chelsea now also registering their interest in the imposing Dane, who was made skipper by Fulham boss Scott Parker after just four games. Two more Premier League sides, Leicester City and Crystal Palace, are also looking into the possibility of securing a deal for Andersen.

But, according to BT's report, it is Tottenham who lead the case and they already have a meeting scheduled with Andersen's entourage for next week. Jose Mourinho is desperate to bolster a back-line that have looked shaky at the back this season, with Andersen providing the solidity and leadership his defence have been missing.

Lyon are happy to sell for a fee roughly similar to what they paid Sampdoria in 2019, with the French side recently extending the contracts of current first-choice centre-back partnership Marcelo and Jason Denayer. Both Chelsea and United have made signing a new centre-back one of their top priorities this summer and there are few players with Premier League experience who represent better value for money than Andersen. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are also believed to be looking at Raphael Varane and Pau Torres as they eye a new partner for Harry Maguire, while Chelsea have been linked with Sevilla's Jules Kounde.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/15/chelsea-join-man-utd-and-spurs-in-transfer-battle-for-joachim-andersen-14413084/?ito=newsnow-feed?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

WhiteJC

Neeskens Kebano's Fulham return based on condition
Neeskens Kebano's loan at Middlesbrough ends this summer, and it is not certain if he will remain at the club.

Reports have suggested that winger Neeskens Kebano will return to his parent club, Fulham, in the summer.

Kebano signed for Boro on loan in the January transfer window and has played 14 times in the Championship, where he has scored one goal and assisted another.

His loan spell will run out this summer, and he is expected to go back to Premier League side Fulham. However, this is subject to a condition that Fulham are relegated back to the Championship at the end of the season.

If Fulham remain in the Premier League, Kebano will be surplus to requirements and will be available for a transfer away from The Cottagers, perhaps, another loan spell at the Riverside.

The probability of Middlesbrough signing him now hangs on Fulham's relegation back to the Championship. Fulham are currently 18th in the table with 26 points, six points behind 17th placed Newcastle United.

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/boro-news/neeskens-kebano-s-fulham-return-based-on-condition-15421

WhiteJC

Premier League confirm to clubs plans for supporters in final two weeks of season

Proposals have been put forward for each Premier League team to host one match with fans present before the end of the campaign, subject to Government approval

Supporters will be able to attend Premier League matches for the final two weeks of the season - but away fans will not be permitted.

Clubs were informed on Thursday that league fixtures will be moved to enable each top-flight side to host one home match before the 2020/21 campaign draws to a close.

Government restrictions allow for a limited number of fans to attend sporting events from May 17.

Originally that meant only fixtures taking place on the final day of the season would have fallen beyond the deadline, but league chiefs are now making amendments to the calendar so the penultimate round of matches will also be played in front of a crowd.

Matchweek 36 will be moved from its scheduled date of May 11/12 to May 15/16 - the last round of games to go ahead behind closed doors.

Those clubs playing at home in Matchweek 37 can then invite supporters back into their grounds on the new midweek dates of May 18/19, ahead of the season's culmination on May 23, which will also have fans present.

Sadly away fans will not be allowed to travel to matches after some clubs raised health and safety concerns with regards to coronavirus.

A limit on the number of supporters will be capped at 10,000 per stadium, unless a quarter of their capacity is lower than that figure, as in line with Government quotas and subject to their approval of the propositions next month.

The attendance of fans could play a big part in how the rest of the season pans out, particularly with some big games to come in the top four race.

Chelsea host Leicester in their penultimate fixture, before the Foxes welcome Tottenham on the final day.

Fulham could also be handed a big advantage if they can stay in contention to beat the drop, as Newcastle head to Craven Cottage for a potential relegation decider.

The FA Cup final will also miss out on the presence of supporters as it falls on May 15, with any league fixtures disrupted by the event moved to the midweek prior.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-fans-back-stadiums-23919095

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur: Alasdair Gold drops enticing Scott Parker claim

Speaking in a Q&A for football.london, reliable Tottenham Hotspur correspondent Alasdair Gold has dropped an enticing managerial claim involving Fulham boss and ex-Lilywhite Scott Parker.

Parker, who has attracted praise for his job at Craven Cottage despite them fighting relegation, has also been touted as a 'future England manager' by former Spurs midfielder Jamie O'Hara (talkSPORT).

Alasdair Gold drops Scott Parker claim

Appearing to be highly rated through the media, one Spurs supporter wondered whether Daniel Levy would ever consider appointing Parker amid the pressure surrounding current boss Jose Mourinho.

Replying to the query, Gold dropped a rather enticing claim on the former Tottenham midfielder.

"He'll certainly be one for the future if he keeps developing as a manager," explained Gold.

"He's got a lot of friends at Spurs, having impressed with the U18s, and they'll be keeping a close eye on his career."

Transfer Tavern take

Former Fulham player Jim Hicks, who tutored Parker through his professional coaching license, labelled him as one of the 'exceptional' managers he has taught when speaking to the Athletic.

He has also been heralded by Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola as part of the 'new generation' of young English managers who have 'courage' to play with a style of 'pace and organisation' (Man City club site).

Whilst he is displaying lots of promise, Gold's claim that he is one for the future is likely an apt prediction – any potential successor for Mourinho, if the Portuguese is given his marching orders, would arguably need more experience at the highest level.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/tottenham-hotspur-news/tottenham-hotspur-alasdair-gold-drops-enticing-scott-parker-claim/

filham

Interesting annalysis on our lack of goals but it ignores the fact that our front players, other than Mitro, are s.mply not goal scorers. Has anyone counted the numbe of Cav's shots that have sailed high over the bar this season.
Replace Cav. with Ivor at his peak and our goal tally would increase significantly without any change in tactics.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: filham on April 16, 2021, 09:58:02 AM
Interesting annalysis on our lack of goals but it ignores the fact that our front players, other than Mitro, are s.mply not goal scorers. Has anyone counted the numbe of Cav's shots that have sailed high over the bar this season.
Replace Cav. with Ivor at his peak and our goal tally would increase significantly without any change in tactics.

I agree that we do not have any natural goal scorers apart from Mitro but I would add that its not just a case of players failing to convert good chances.
Many of our shots at goal are the type that are under greater pressure from defenders or speculative.
The kind of chances created like the 2 goals Maja scored, where players get on to the end of a pass or cross and its just a case of beating the keeper have been very few and far between.
Lack of quality in the last third has been a bigger problem than poor finishing IMO.

jarv

Agree with the final comment in the analysis. Calum Wilson.  !!!!  I could not believe Fulham showed no interest when he was available. Shocked at the time. Potentially, and proven to be with his Newcastle goals, the best available at that time. (for today's prices)