more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 18/04/21...

Started by WhiteJC, April 18, 2021, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Surround Lacazette with pace and punish Fulham in transition

Ahh man....my head hurts...four hours at the pub yesterday afternoon and a tomahawk steak for dinner and I have all the meat sweats and head pains.

What I could really do with now is a bit of greasy food and then an Arsenal lunchtime win. I really don't want my brain to hurt more because we've fluffed up yet another Premier League game at home.

There used to be a time where a game like today would see me merrily pop on the Met Line then the Victoria Line to Highbury & Islington, meet Steve Mark, Andrew and sometimes Giles at The Duchess of Kent on Liverpool Road, have a little natter and not even think twice about the hangover or opponents like Fulham. Broadly speaking we've tended to dispatch teams like this at home back in the old days. Even when we've been terrible we still seem to win these types of games. But this season, with this team, you just have no idea what Arsenal are going to show up. We could be as bad today as we were good on Thursday. Equally we could continue the good run of form by scoring goals and keeping a clean sheet. If you're a betting man/woman you stay well away from a game like today because the margins and the value just isn't there.

Arteta has some thinking to do about how he sets his team up though. I talked yesterday about rotating practically the whole team today and getting some of the young players in from Hale End, but I can't see that happening en masse today, because I still think Mikel will pick a more senior side. Whilst there is still the slimmest of chances we could climb a few places in the league (we are four points from Everton and five from the Scum going in to this game and we play Everton at home next Friday) I think Mikel will have a go with the first team today. Maybe there will be a sprinkling of rotation but I don't see it for the whole XI.

For example, I think Arteta will play Leno, Holding, Partey and Lacazette today. Leno always plays anyway, Holding is our only real right centre back option and he won't have done as much running as Chambers at right back last Thursday, Partey has missed plenty of the season so he shouldn't be seeing a much fatigue and Lacazette has hit a bit of a purple patch so with Aubameyang still out from his malaria I think the Frenchman will get the nod.

So I think the team will be:

It's certainly not what I'd pick, but I just have a hunch Willian will be given ANOTHER shot at not f*cking up today. He will fail because he has done so all season, but we all know it is an experiment which Arteta seems to want to keep plugging away at. Maybe he's thinking that a broken clock is right at least twice a day, maybe Willian can put in a good performance at least twice a season, in this instance against the same opponent that had us all purring about him when the season kicked off all those months ago.

Personally I'd be opting for Xhaka and Partey in midfield and that could still happen, as could playing the likes of Saka or Martinelli. I will be pleasently surprised if Martinelli does start on the left, that's for sure and if he does then I think it is better for Lacazette. It ensures he has pace and runners around him and creativity and movement behind in the form of ESR. Odegaard is still out injured but hopefully he'll be back for the Everton game next Friday and so for today I suspect Arteta will be thinking about ESR playing from the start. We just don't look as good when we don't have one of him or Odegaard in that connector role. So can Arteta afford to rest him today? I'm not sure.

As for Fulham, they will play with a youthful side and 'Scotty' Scott Parker has already said his team will play with energy and resilience this lunchtime. They will know that Arsenal have just come back from a trip on Thursday and so they could probably outmatch us on distance covered if we play a similar line up to the side that rocked up in Prague. He's said that Fulham will take the game to us and so we need to be prepared for that. Fulham have scored just 24 goals all season, which is the second worst behind Sheffield United, and their last six games has seen one win and fave defeats. But in some of their games lately they've been better than the result suggests and I think we'll see evidence of that this lunchtime. They'll want to press and harry us and will be aggressive in trying to win the ball back, so when space appears we have to exploit it. It's why we need to have a connector like Smith Rowe on the pitch and it's why we need to surround Lacazette with pace, because that could have a big difference if we're able to hit Fulham on the counter in transition. Particularly in those wide forward spaces.

Hopefully we can make it three wins in a row and hopefully we'll also get to see another clean sheet. That would be lovely.

Catch you wonderful humans tomorrow with a review of what unfolded.

Laters.

https://www.suburbangooners.com/2021/04/18/arsenal-v-fulham-april-2021/

WhiteJC

'Same with Everton': Scott Parker makes claim about playing at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium

Scott Parker told his pre-match press conference that he 'doesn't really take' records for what they are ahead of his side's visit to Arsenal on Sunday.

Fulham have yet to win 29 of their last meetings at Arsenal, and given that the Gunners are on a high after their win at Slavia Prague on Thursday, there's a sure chance of that being extended... so expect it to end today!

Nonetheless, when Fulham beat Everton at Goodison Park in February, it was the first time they had beaten the Merseyside giants in their own back yard.

And after praising Arsenal's qualities, Parker shared how that Everton result proves that records aren't anything to go by.

"Fantastic team," said Parker. "Good quality, they are a team that are filled with extreme talent and talent that can hurt you at any given moment.

"But it was the same when we played Liverpool. It was the same when we played Leicester. It has been the same for large parts this year when we have come up against good opposition and put in good performances.

"I don't really take them for what they are (on Fulham not having won at a certain away ground for a long time). Arsenal is a tough place to go.

"It's a very good squad. Good team. On a good run, at the moment, so of course, it's going to be difficult. Everton was the same and we got a result at Everton, so we do it and go about our business. Play with enthusiasm and show our quality then we have a chance of winning the game."

Given that Arsenal would have put a serious amount of effort into Thursday's game, this is a real chance of Fulham securing three points.

The pressure will be on the Gunners, who have struggled at home this campaign, to not only win the game but take the match to Parker's men.

But if they can perform like they did against Liverpool, before the international break, then an upset might be on the cards.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/18/same-with-everton-scott-parker-makes-claim-about-playing-at-arsenals-emirates-stadium/

WhiteJC

Arsenal vs Fulham predicted line-ups: Team news ahead of Premier League fixture today

Everything you need to know ahead of kick-off

Arsenal are taking on Fulham in the Premier League today at the Emirates Stadium.

The visitors are desperate to break a slump of four successive defeats in order to boost their hopes of survival.

Scott Parker's Fulham side are six points behind Newcastle with one fewer games left to play, so they can barely afford another defeat today with the Magpies gathering some momentum.

The Gunners come into the game on the back of convincing wins over Sheffield United and Slavia Prague, bouncing back from the chastening 3-0 defeat by Liverpool in the previous game.

Here is everything you need to know about the game.

When is the match?

Arsenal vs Fulham kicks off at 1.30pm BST today, Sunday 18 April.

How to watch

The game will be shown live in the UK on Sky Sports. Subscribers can stream the match online via the Sky Sports app and the Sky Sports website.

Team news

The Gunners are without Kieran Tierney and David Luiz while Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is suffering with malaria. Martin Odegaard could return. Fulham are still without Tom Cairney while Terence Kongolo has been ruled out for the rest of the season.

Predicted line-ups

Arsenal: Leno, Chambers, Holding, Mari, Cedric, Xhaka, Partey, Saka, Smith Rowe, Pepe, Lacazette

Fulham: Areola, Aina, Anderson, Tosin, Tete, Reed, Lemina, Robinson, Loftus-Cheek, Lookman, Mitrovic

Odds

Arsenal 3/4

Draw 13/5

Fulham 4/1

Prediction

The Gunners have found a little form since that Liverpool defeat but then again Fulham desperately need points in their survival bid. Expect a tight game. Arsenal 1-1 Fulham.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal/fulham-predicted-lineups-team-news-b1832706.html

WhiteJC

Arsenal fans will love what Scott Parker has said about Smith Rowe and Saka ahead of Fulham clash

Arsenal welcome Fulham to the Emirates Stadium on Sunday lunchtime looking to extend their winning run in all competitions to three matches

Fulham manager Scott Parker has hailed the impact both Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe have had on the Arsenal squad this season ahead of this lunchtime's clash at the Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners, who defeated Sheffield United 3-0 at Bramall Lane in their last Premier League outing, will be looking to build on their impressive UEFA Europa League quarter-final second-leg rout of Slavia Prague on Thursday evening after hammering the Czech giants 4-0 away from home.

Goals from Alexandre Lacazette (2), Nicolas Pepe and Bukayo Saka sealed an impressive 5-1 aggregate win for Mikel Arteta's troops, ensuring they booked a semi-final date with Villarreal.

Whilst the experienced Lacazette led the way with two goals, Saka and Smith Rowe played key roles in the victory. The former claimed a goal and an assist whilst Smith Rowe claimed the assist for Pepe's opener.

In truth, the two youngsters have been nothing short of outstanding during the second half of this season, almost taking on the responsibility of carrying this Gunners side at times.

Whilst, certainly on some occasions, you do feel as though Arsenal have an over reliance on the likes of Saka and Smith Rowe, they are a joy to watch, especially when taking into account their tender ages.

However, ahead of this lunchtime's showdown at the Emirates Stadium, Fulham chief Parker, who will be desperate to see his side record a three-point haul in their bid to avoid relegation, has heaped praise on the duo, insisting they have "huge potential."

"What young players normally bring is an energy and a real freedom at times," Parker said, as quoted by the Mail.

"Of course there's a fine balance, certainly when you are where we are in the league, that in certain moments can they handle the pressure that comes with these certain moments and the pressure of that is always key, but this is part of developing.

"Developing teams and developing individuals really. This team, like I said, is a young team.

"The players you've suggested at Arsenal, Saka and Smith Rowe, are players with huge quality, they have huge potential.

"The reason they are playing in that team is because they offer something and they make Arsenal better and that's the same with us."

This term, both Saka and Smith Rowe have been sensational when at full tilt. Between them they have racked up 67 appearances in all competitions, scoring 12 goals and registering 15 assists.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/saka-smith-rowe-arsenal-fulham-20411000

WhiteJC

Arsenal vs. Fulham: Live stream, TV channel, how to watch English Premier League 2021 (Sun., April. 18)

It'll be a matchup of two London clubs on Sunday as Arsenal and Fulham are set to do battle at the Emirates Stadium. Both teams will be in search of a vital three points, with the Gunners looking to inch closer to a Europa League spot while the Cottagers continue their attempt at climbing out of the relegation zone. Arsenal, led by the resurgence of forward Alexandre Lacazette (13 goals), remain in ninth place with 45 points but can move within a point of eighth-place Everton. Meanwhile, Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ademola Lookman will aim to pull off the upset for 18th-place Fulham and cut the gap to safety to four points.

Sunday's match will air on NBC Sports Network on your local TV provider. You can watch the game for free online if you sign up for a free trial with Sling, fuboTV or Peacock Premium.

Arsenal vs. Fulham (English Premier League 2021)

Start time: 8:30 a.m. EST

TV channel: NBCSN (Channel finder: Verizon Fios, AT&T U-verse, Comcast Xfinity,Spectrum/Charter, Optimum/Altice, DIRECTV, Dish, Hulu, fuboTV, Sling.)

Live stream: NBC Sports Live | fuboTV | Sling | Peacock Premium. - You can watch NBC Sports Live if you have a cable subscription. If you don't, you can get NBCSN via a la carte packages from fuboTV, Sling and Peacock Premium. (with free trials).

https://www.masslive.com/sports/2021/04/arsenal-vs-fulham-live-stream-tv-channel-how-to-watch-english-premier-league-2021-sun-april-18.html

WhiteJC

Premier League clubs 'readying plan' for social media blackout to confront online racism

Premier League clubs are looking to take another step in the battle against online racism with a social media blackout planned amid continued abuse

Premier League clubs are to step up their efforts to combat online racism by launching a social media blackout.

Plans are in place for what is being called football's 'Weekend of Action' on May 1 to May 3.

Top flight outfits are set for go silent for a 24-hour period on their various social media outlets

The Premier League will also stop interaction on its own social media page throughout the weekend, which features Liverpool's clash with Manchester United, reports the Daily Mail.

Continued abuse on social media platforms have led to the motion which comes just months after footballing authorities in the UK wrote to leaders of Facebook and Twitter asking for more action.

Premier League clubs have continued to tackle racism (Image: EMPICS Sport)

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has already spoken to a host of clubs about the planned boycott as momentum gathers.

He wrote in an email to clubs on Friday: "There would be no usual football content.

"Instead channels would be used to put pressure on the social media companies and drive awareness of the racist and other discriminatory abuse that we continue to see appear on the platforms."

Masters also added: "Players, ex-players and other prominent football personalities from all backgrounds continue to get abuse and are asking for, and deserve, football-wide support to highlight the irresponsibility of the social media platforms which protect the abusers."

Clubs have been asked to confirm their support and whether they will back the boycott by 2pm on Monday 19 April.

Players too will be asked to join in the boycott in the day leading up to it with messaging and graphics sent out to ensure a "consistency of message".

Meetings will be held early this week, with an announcement potential due before Thursday.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-social-media-boycott-23934926

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace: Eagles must make renewed swoop for Loftus-Cheek

Crystal Palace are reportedly eyeing a move for former loan star Ruben Loftus-Cheek this summer.

According to TEAMtalk, the Eagles are plotting a swoop for the Chelsea midfielder in the summer and are vying with Premier League rivals Aston Villa for his signature.

Steve Parish must make sure Palace win the battle for the Englishman.

The Eagles will certainly already be aware of Loftus-Cheek's talents, with the 25-year-old spending a season on-loan at Selhurst Park throughout the 2017/18 campaign – a period in which he impressed by scoring two goals and providing five assists in all competitions.

Whilst he has not quite been able to display that form over the past couple of years, having scored just one goal for Chelsea and Fulham combined over the past two campaigns, he did enjoy his most productive season upon his return from Palace.

As the Blues lifted the UEFA Europa League under Maurizio Sarri, Loftus-Cheek notched ten goals and provided five assists.

Rated at £18m, his ability has never been in doubt. Despite his lean campaign at Craven Cottage, Fulham manager Scott Parker has been left waxing lyrical about Loftus-Cheek even labelling him as "unplayable".

It goes without saying that he could certainly be the type of player that Crystal Palace needs.

The Eagles face going into the 2021/22 season with depleted midfield options as James McArthur and James McCarthy continue seeing their Selhurst Park deals tick down towards the end of the season.

Whilst Jesuran Rak-Sakyi is capable, it would possibly be too early to depend on him for the majority of a Premier League campaign with the midfielder just 18 years old.

Loftus-Cheek would, of coursem have no problems in that department having racked up 104 appearances in the competition.

Competing with Aston Villa then, Palace must ensure that they secure their former loan star once again.

https://www.footballfancast.com/crystal-palace-transfer-rumours/crystal-palace-eagles-transfer-news-rumours-fulham-chelsea-ruben-loftus-cheek-statistics-analysis-opinion

WhiteJC

Aston Villa interested in signing Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek

According to reports, Aston Villa are now interested in signing Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek this summer.

What's the story?

The 25-year-old currently finds himself on loan at fellow Premier League side Fulham, and it now appears that he could be set for a permanent move away from Stamford Bridge.

TEAMtalk claim that Dean Smith's side are among a number of clubs interested in signing him this summer, with Fulham and Crystal Palace also said to be in the hunt – this follows reports from John Percy last September about Villa's interest in taking him on loan for the 2020/21 campaign.

The report from TEAMtalk added that, while Loftus-Cheek is keen to remain at Stamford Bridge, the Blues don't see him as part of their long-term plans and "have already told interested parties that they would be open to a sale".

Dean Smith could transform him

After bursting onto the scene as a highly-rated talent at Chelsea, it's fair to say Loftus-Cheek hasn't quite hit the heights expected of him, with injuries really stalling his career.

However, the Englishman still has the best years ahead of him at 25, and Smith may fancy his chances of rejuvenating the 6 foot 3 powerhouse and getting him to finally realise his potential.

After an impressive display against Everton earlier this year, Fulham manager Scott Parker was full of praise for the midfielder, saying: "I thought he was brilliant. Ruben came in and we've worked really hard together, in terms of the information I'm trying to give him and how he can have a big impact on the pitch.

"He came on and made a real difference. He looked every bit of a top, top player. He got the ball, was brave, scored a goal, got in the box, and was dynamic in between the lines.

"He's got a real ability and he'll be big for us this year. He needs to keep working on it and keep listening to what we're saying. No doubt he'll keep improving like we've seen today."

Cesar Azpilicueta, his teammate at parent club Chelsea, is a big fan, claiming [via chelseafc.com] that the Englishman has "unbelievable strength", adding: "He can push past defenders, get in the box, score goals, and he defends. He is a complete player."

The £18m-rated ace just needs to steer clear of injury, which he appears to be doing at Craven Cottage, having now already played 27 times in the Premier League this term.

It's a gamble well worth taking for Smith and Aston Villa this summer.

https://www.footballfancast.com/aston-villa-transfer-rumours/aston-villa-ruben-loftus-cheek-chelsea-premier-league-transfer-dean-smith-ross-barkley-gossip-rumours-news

WhiteJC