1-1
Fulham
Man Utd
3-1
Burnley

WhiteJC

Arsenal 1-1 Fulham

Five of Eddie Nketiah's 13 Arsenal goals have come as a substitute

Fulham boss Scott Parker says he "doesn't understand" how Eddie Nketiah's stoppage-time equaliser was allowed to stand in their Premier League draw at Arsenal.

Nketiah's 97th-minute effort came with Arsenal defender Rob Holding stood in an offside position to the side of Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, who had saved Dani Ceballos' initial shot.

However, as Holding did not touch the ball he was deemed not to be interfering with play as Gunners forward Nketiah tapped in.

It delivered a major blow to the Cottagers, who led through Josh Maja's second-half penalty and looked on course to gain a valuable three points in their battle against relegation.

"That was a real painful one," Parker said. "I don't know how the goal stood. I don't understand it. I am a little bit confused but we are all confused of late.

"We all scratch our heads a bit, people who have played the game for a long time. Whether he [Holding] attempts to go for the ball or not the ramifications of his position affect my goalkeeper.

"What is factual for us is we've come to another place and the difference between one point and three points is a decision with the last kick of the game."

The result leaves Fulham six points from safety but they have played one game more than Burnley - the side directly above them - and two more games than Brighton in 16th.

On-loan Bordeaux forward Maja opened the scoring with Fulham's only effort on target after Mario Lemina was fouled by Arsenal's Brazilian defender Gabriel.

However, in a game of few clear-cut chances Arsenal, who remain ninth, merited their point.

Mikel Arteta's side had Ceballos' first-half goal disallowed after Bukayo Saka had strayed fractionally offside, while Gabriel Martinelli also found the back of the visitors' net after the whistle had gone for offside against Emile Smith Rowe.

Substitute Nicolas Pepe and Saka also both went close to levelling the score before Nketiah's late intervention.

Unpredictable Arsenal
After dismantling Slavia Prague in the Europa League on Thursday, Arsenal did little to dispel the feeling of unpredictability that surrounds them as they faced a team battling the drop.

On paper, Arteta would have expected his side to dispatch their struggling opponents with few difficulties.

But their up-tempo start, which saw Martinelli twice go close to scoring, soon fizzled out.

That allowed the visitors to gain a foothold in the match, although VAR contributed to Arsenal's failure to break the deadlock with Ceballos seeing a header ruled out after Saka was judged to be centimetres offside in the build-up.

To their credit, Arsenal persevered after going behind despite seeing Alexandre Lacazette limp off with 20 minutes left.

And a late siege saw Nketiah, Saka, Gabriel and Martinelli all have efforts on goal before their dominance finally told.

Fulham's fading hopes
While Arsenal will be hoping to finish their season with a flourish, Fulham's hopes of survival look more forlorn with each week that passes.

Ordinarily, a point against opponents they have historically struggled against - losing each of their previous six meetings and conceding 18 goals in the process - might have been viewed as a good return.

But their need for maximum points was apparent from the outset, with Fulham arriving at Emirates Stadium on the back of four consecutive defeats.

While Parker's players defended gallantly under some early pressure and then continued until virtually the last kick of the game, they will be frustrated by the way a valuable victory slipped away.

And just as worryingly, they are yet to show they have the firepower to make a real fight of it in their final five games, a run that includes trips to Chelsea and Manchester United.

Maja's penalty was their only effort on target in a game that saw them muster three shots in total.

Given their inability to score, it was all the more mystifying that Aleksander Mitrovic remained on the bench throughout.

The Serbia forward has shown in previous campaigns that he has the capabilities to score in the top flight but has started just 12 games this term.

'It's been painful' - what they said
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta, speaking to Sky Sports: "We started really well, controlling the game and creating chances, scoring a goal that was disallowed, in a very disappointing way, we kept going and didn't allow any shots on target and suddenly we concede a penalty and the game changes completely.

"We took risks in the right way, we could have scored three or four, we totally deserved to win the match but put ourselves in a difficult position.

"We have to just focus on the boys playing away in Europe and arriving here with the desire to go all the way to the 97th, 98th minute."

On Alexandre Lacazette's injury: "He felt his hamstring so we don't know. We have to rotate players, we have players who didn't recover from the game on Thursday. That is the risk. You cannot change those players every game."

Fulham boss Scott Parker, speaking to BBC Sport: "My team were relentless today with passion and desire. Of course we understand that sometimes you need a bit more than that. We've come to a very good place where they play good stuff and got our noses in front.

"I understand that [Saka offside] one. It is factual. I don't agree with it but it is either offside or not offside.

"The one that does us I just don't understand. Holding is standing in an offside position. He is two yards away from my goalkeeper and three yards away from the goalline.

"We were so close today, so it's been painful. As disappointed as I am now and the team are, we'll wake up tomorrow and we will fight again and keep going. You see a team with effort, desire, with spirit and with that we've got a fighting chance."

Fulham's London derby woes - the stats
    Arsenal have never lost at home against Fulham in 30 previous competitive meetings (W24 D6), more than they've faced any other side at home without defeat in all competitions.
    Fulham have dropped 13 points from winning positions away from home in this season's Premier League, more than any other side.
    Fulham remain winless in 23 Premier League London derby matches (D5 L18), although four of their five draws in this run have come this season.
    Arsenal's late equaliser means that the Gunners have recorded the exact same points tally after 32 games this season as they had at the same stage last term (46); they last had fewer from their first 32 matches of a league season in 1994-95 (40).
    Only against Liverpool (seven) have Fulham conceded more 90th-minute goals in the Premier League than they have against Arsenal (six).
    Josh Maja's opener for Fulham was the 87th penalty to be scored in this season's Premier League; no campaign has ever had more penalty goals in the competition's history (level with 2006-07).
    Aged 22 years and 112 days, Fulham's Josh Maja was the second-youngest player to score a Premier League penalty against Arsenal, after Daniel Sturridge for Manchester City in November 2008 (19y 82d).
    Eddie Nketiah's equaliser (96:09) was Arsenal's latest Premier League goal since January 2017 against Burnley (Alexis Sánchez in 97:14).

What's next?

Arsenal host Everton in their next Premier League game on Friday, 23 April (20:00 BST).

Fulham travel to Chelsea in their next top-flight match on Saturday, 1 May (15:00 BST).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56706885

WhiteJC

Post-Arsenal Press Conference

VAR, refereeing decisions, and Arsenal's controversial last-minute equaliser dominated Scott Parker's post-match press conference.

Regarding the video assistant's decision not to overturn Eddie Nketiah's last-gasp equaliser, the Fulham Head coach commented his view.

"I don't think Craig (Pawson - referee) knew," he said. "It happened so quick for him on the pitch. I know the linesman was speaking and saying there was a guy in an offside position. What I am confused with is that player (Holding) is two yards away from my keeper, and three yards away from the goal-line, the ramifications of his position affect my keeper.

"We have the best keeper in the division bar none in terms of controlling his box. He doesn't know that Holding is in an offside position, so he has to react to that.

"I know now what will be said," Parker continued. "It will be that he didn't attempt to play the ball. It's an irrelevance whether he didn't attempt to play the ball, he's two yards away from the goal, players are reacting in milliseconds, that's my point.

"Maybe by the letter of the law, by a statement that comes out, it is the correct decision but deep down we've all been in football, I've played football a long time, I don't think it is."

Fulham produced a battling display throughout the game, particularly in the second half, and Parker was effusive in his praise of his squad's character.

"I thought the first half was a little bit slow," he admitted. "Arsenal have huge quality, we know that, we had to be resilient today, be dogged, and when we had our moments take them. I think we defended well. I felt like they were getting frustrated, we limited them to very few chances. But then the decision, in my eyes and how it panned out was disappointing."

When posed if he had lost hope that his team can still survive relegation, the boss gave a characteristically combative response.

"No chance, absolutely no chance have we lost hope," he stated. "The difference today was the decision at the end which I didn't agree with. The final kick of the game.

"The narrative would have been different if we'd managed to get the three points. This team has shown throughout the season that we can win games, we can come to big football clubs and get results.

"Of course, there is belief. Six points I think the difference is. Why would there not be belief.  Of course, we are disappointed, I'm gutted, the last two weeks have been a real kick in terms of that.

"We wake up tomorrow morning, put the gloves back on and go again, keep fighting, and try and pick up points."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/april/Post-Arsenal-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

'My heart' - Burnley fans react to late Arsenal equaliser against Fulham in survival fight

Arsenal scored a last gasp equaliser to earn a share of the spoils against Fulham

Burnley's survival hopes were given a boost by Eddie Nketiah's last gasp Arsenal equaliser against Fulham.

The Cottagers had led thanks to a Josh Maja penalty and looked set to secure a vital victory as they attempt to claw their way out of danger.

But Nketiah tapped home in the sixth minute of added time, with the goal given after a lengthy VAR check for offside.

The result means that Fulham are six points adrift of Sean Dyche's side ahead of Burnley taking on Manchester United at Old Trafford this afternoon.

Here's how Clarets fans reacted on social media.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/arsenal-fulham-burnley-manchester-united-20412811

WhiteJC

Nketiah's stoppage-time strike denies Fulham first win at Arsenal

Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah came off the bench to score a last-gasp equaliser against Fulham - whose Premier League survival bid suffered another late blow as a result.

Scott Parker's side lost to a last-minute goal to Wolves last time out but appeared on course for a first-ever away win over Arsenal following Josh Maja's second-half penalty.

Instead, it was further heartbreak as Nketiah scrambled in from point-blank range to earn the misfiring Gunners a 1-1 draw.

FULL MATCH DETAILS
Mikel Arteta made five changes from Arsenal side which cruised into the semi-finals of the Europa League with a 4-0 win at Slavia Prague on Thursday but they never looked like hitting those heights here.

But there would be VAR controversy throughout, Dani Ceballos seeing a header ruled out after Bukayo Saka had been centimetres offside in the build-up.

Then Fulham would get their penalty as referee Craig Pawson pointed to the spot on the advice of his assistant, with VAR checking Gabriel Magalhaes' foul on Mario Lemina and then a potential offside against Ola Aina in the move leading to the spot-kick.

With both decisions standing, it was left to Maja to hammer the ball home from 12 yards and give Fulham renewed optimism of avoiding the drop.

Nketiah's eventual leveller would stand after an offside check against Rob Holding in the build-up, with Parker exasperated on the touchline once again.

The hosts had started well, Alexandre Lacazette playing in Gabriel Martinelli with the recalled striker chipping his effort just wide.

He then forced a low save out of Alphonse Areloa after Emile Smith Rowe had forced a low ball across goal.

Fulham offered nothing going forward until the 20-minute mark when a deflected Maja shot wrong-footed home debutant Mat Ryan in the Arsenal goal and trickled inches wide of the post.

Arsenal had started well but were soon toiling to break down a stubborn Fulham defence.

The hosts thought they had finally broken through when Ceballos headed in a Hector Bellerin cross - only for VAR to spot Saka's straying boot.

The assistant referee's flag would soon deny Arsenal another goal, this time with a more-obvious decision against Smith Rowe, who mistimed his run as he latched onto a Lacazette pass.

Lacazette pulled a shot wide right at the start of the second half but Arsenal would again struggle to create chances.

That would come back to haunt them as Fulham were awarded a penalty, with referee Pawson pointing to the spot after guidance from his assistant.

Two VAR checks later and Maja broke the deadlock, giving Ryan no chance from the spot.

Arteta turned to Nicolas Pepe and Thomas Partey, the former coming close to levelling with his first meaningful touch as his header across goal was hacked clear.

Lacazette was then replaced by Nketiah, the France striker heading straight down the tunnel with his shirt over his head.

It would be Nketiah who provided the late heroics as Arsenal threw everything they could to earn a share of the spoils.

Ryan was thrown into the Fulham box for back-to-back late corners and got a telling glance to the second as the ball broke to Ceballos, whose shot was fumbled away by Areola but into the path of the waiting Nketiah.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0418/1210576-nketiahs-stoppage-time-strike-denies-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham denied victory at Arsenal by last-gasp Eddie Nketiah equaliser

Eddie Nketiah prods home from close range to salvage a point for Arsenal and break Fulham hearts at the Emirates. Photograph: Ian Walton/Reuters

This was one of those afternoons from which nobody, even if they happen to have grasped a point in the seventh minute of stoppage time, goes home feeling happy.

All Arsenal really gained from Eddie Nketiah's poached equaliser was a modicum of self-esteem, given a win was imperative if they were to keep any degree of heat on the European spots. How that will rankle with Fulham, who were seconds from a win that would have given them a fresh glimmer of light in the survival race. They surely have too much to do now; the Championship looks certain to be their next destination while Arsenal seem set for mid-table, hoping against hope that the Europa League offers salvation.

Scott Parker's players sunk to their knees at full time, left heartbroken by a game's last action for the second successive week, after Wolves' winner. They had almost survived a barrage from Arsenal after Josh Maja, emphatically converting a penalty just before the hour, had given them licence to look upwards. Alphonse Areola had kept them in front with a string of outstanding stops and appeared to have stolen the show when, in a singular twist, his opposite number helped break their resistance.

When Mat Ryan sprinted upfield as Arsenal packed the box for a last-gasp corner, it was tempting to joke that it was his best chance of touching the ball. He had not faced a shot on target bar the spot-kick but now, running on to Bukayo Saka's outswinger, he won a header at the near post and glanced it across the danger area. Dani Ceballos lashed the loose ball towards goal and Areola, diving to his right, diverted it to his right. Areola's efforts had been more than enough all afternoon but this time Nketiah, characteristically poised to poach, was placed to break Fulham's hearts.

"The difference today was a decision at the end that I didn't agree with," Parker said. Fulham contended that Rob Holding, who was clearly offside, had been in Areola's line of sight as Ceballos shot. A VAR review, far from the game's first, seemed to bear that out but the goal stood, apparently because Holding made no attempt to play the ball. "We've got the best goalkeeper in the division bar none in terms of controlling his box," Parker continued. "If Holding isn't there I suspect he comes and collects."

Arsenal had their own technology-related grievances, as most sides do nowadays. The severity of its application debases the sport on a regular basis that will, unless there is some serious pushback, become insidiously normalised.

Arsenal had started the game well, Gabriel Martinelli missing a good early opportunity before forcing a one-handed stop from Areola, and thought Fulham had been breached when Ceballos met Héctor Bellerín's cross with a precise header in the 41st minute. At considerable length, VAR's unimpeachable buffet of lines and angles gave Fulham an escape route: Saka had apparently, by the length of a toe, stepped beyond Antonee Robinson before supplying Bellerín.

"We deserved to win the match with the chances we created," Mikel Arteta said. But he has to sing that song every other week and it is why Arsenal will do well to finish higher than ninth now. They only threatened to slip up once in the first half, Holding deflecting Maja's close-range effort inches wide, but blundered during a rare Fulham foray after the break.

Gabriel had cut out Mario Lemina's first attempt at a through pass but, as the ball ran free again, was beaten to it by the visitors' midfielder. Down Lemina went: it was fair, after another recourse to Stockley Park, to surmise he had sought out the contact but Craig Pawson's original decision to award the penalty was upheld and Maja kept cool.

Fulham retreated but Areola, saving marvellously from Nicolas Pépé's header before denying Martinelli and Nketiah as the minutes subsided, came close to doing enough. Saka, who had struck the outside of a post earlier, whipped a shot fractionally over. Nketiah's first league goal since September came after he had replaced Lacazette, who departed with a hamstring problem that looks ominous given Arsenal's impending semi-final with Villarreal.

"I cannot tell you if it's going to be a week, two weeks, three weeks, five weeks," Arteta said of any lay-off for Lacazette. It will be an anxious wait to find out, given their season will now be dead if they cannot overcome the La Liga side. He denied knowledge of reports Arsenal are among a cabal that have signed up for a European Super League, although nobody could blame him if he had done so through embarrassment.

For Parker there was pride through the frustration and the stubborn hope that, even with a visit to Chelsea up next, Fulham can still find oxygen. "I'm absolutely gutted but we go again," he said. "This team has shown that we can come to big football clubs and give big performances." It is unlikely to be enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/arsenal-fulham-premier-league-match-report

WhiteJC

VAR controversies analysed after Arsenal snatch late draw against Fulham
As has so often been the case this season, VAR felt like the main protagonist at full time

Arsenal and Fulham drew 1-1 at the Emirates in a game defined by marginal VAR calls (Screengrabs: Sky Sports)

When Arsenal met Fulham at Craven Cottage on the opening day of the season, Mikel Arteta's side ended the game bathed in the warm glow of optimism. There were encouraging debuts for Gabriel Magalhaes and Willian, goals for Gabriel, Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and, in a moment of unlikely flair, a series of keepy-uppies from Rob Holding so audacious that – for a few weeks at least – fans dubbed him 'Rob Holdinho'.

There was little sign of that same flair this time around, with both sides looking jaded from the start at the Emirates. Where Arsenal seemed a bit dazed after their big midweek win against Slavia Prague, Fulham appeared to be labouring under the strain of an increasingly desperate relegation battle.

Other than a wayward chip from Gabriel Martinelli early on and a deflected shot from Josh Maja at the other end, the first half featured few quality chances. Then, around the 40-minute mark, the VAR controversies began.

Picking up the ball in the box, Bukayo Saka moved it on to Hector Bellerin on the right. He chipped an inch-perfect cross to the back post, where Dani Ceballos blasted a header into the back of the net. As Arsenal celebrated, VAR spotted a marginal offside against Saka in the build-up. The goal was ruled out, with Sky Sports co-commentator Alan Smith remarking: "There was a big toe, maybe a little toe offside there, I'll grant you."

It was an extremely tight call, made especially contentious by comparison to another big VAR intervention in the second half. With 56 minutes gone, Fulham's Mario Lemina burst into the area and tripped over Gabriel's outstretched leg. Once again, there was a VAR check for offside in the build-up. Ola Aina was adjudged to be onside by a similar margin, allowing Maja to step up to the spot and blast the ball into the roof of the net.

That was almost enough to earn Fulham the win, despite the fact that Maja's penalty was their only shot on target. Heartbreakingly for Scott Parker, seven minutes into injury time, Eddie Nketiah popped up at the back post to snatch a draw for Arsenal.

There was a third and final VAR intervention to check whether Holding had obstructed Alphonse Areola's viewpoint from an offside position, but this time it went Arsenal's way.

While Areola managed to save Ceballos' initial effort and, as such, seemed to have a clear line of sight to the shot, Parker clearly felt hard done by.

"I'm disappointed and gutted and the overriding factor is the team have worked tirelessly today, given everything, come to a place like this against a very good side and managed to get our nose in front," Parker said. "The last action, I've just seen it back. He [Holding] looks offside to me, he's standing in an offside position. As a consequence of where my keeper is, he's two yards away from the goal line and he's in an offside position – that's what's disappointing.

"We defended superbly, we limited them to few chances. The longer the game was going on I felt we had done well but the residing factor is that late decision and the rules on it."

It was a game of incredibly fine margins and, as has so often been the case this season, VAR felt like the main protagonist at full time. Where, back in September, Arsenal ended up the happier of the two sides, this time nobody will go home satisfied.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-vs-fulham-var-controversies-analysed-penalty-decision-offside-calls-961944?ITO=newsnow

WhiteJC

Newcastle fans go wild for last-gasp Eddie Nketiah equaliser against Fulham

Newcastle United's chances of staying in the Premier League just received an even bigger boost, with Fulham only drawing with Arsenal in the Premier League, having been seconds away from a victory.

With the Toon beating West Ham United yesterday, the Cottagers simply had to beat the Gunners today.

Scott Parker's side actually took the lead through Josh Maja via the penalty spot.

It looked as though they would see the game out, but Eddie Nketiah struck in the final minute of injury time to break Fulham hearts.

The 1-1 draw means Fulham now have 27 points from 33 games played, and Newcastle have 35 points from 32 played.

The dropping of two points right at the death is absolutely massive for Newcastle.

t now makes an escape from trouble for Parker's men very difficult.

On social media, Nketiah's strike was lapped up by nervous Toon fans far and wide:

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/news/newcastle-fans-go-wild-for-last-gasp-eddie-nketiah-equaliser-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Nketiah breaks Fulham hearts

Football is a very cruel game. Fulham, no strangers to late heartbreak, were denied a precious – and unlikely – win at Arsenal this afternoon when Eddie Nketiah poked home an equaliser in the seventh minute of stoppage time. Whether the dropped points after Josh Maja had calmly converted a second half spot-kick will matter in the final analysis remains to be seen – a second great escape would still have been heroic had the Whites held on here – but the agony remains immense. There was a case that Rob Holding, clearly offside in front of Alphonse Areola, was interfering with play but, perhaps – having already seen two Arsenal goals chalked off by the video assistant referee – Fulham were pushing their luck.

The margins are so fine now as to demand that Fulham have a flawless run in to the end of the season, whilst the two teams they are most likely to catch will have to implode. All those scenarios seem pretty fanciful, but Scott Parker would have been greatly encouraged by the character and fortitude displayed during this performance. The Fulham boss had made five changes after the stoppage-time defeat at home to out-of-form Wolves nine days ago and, after weathering a rather ropey start, his side coped well with Arsenal's attacking threat for much of the contest.

Arsenal, also much-changed after their early burst blew away Slavia Prague in the Europa League in midweek, started with plenty of adventure. The recalled Gabriel Martinelli almost delivered the perfect start when the winger reached a lovely weighted pass from Alexandre Lacazette and lifted the ball over Areola and just wide. The French goalkeeper probably predicted he would have a busy afternoon and he spread himself instinctively to deny the Gabonese forward after Smith-Rowe had skipped to the byline far too easily.

Fulham's moments of promise in and around the opposition area were few and far between in a first half that was mostly about containment. Maja had their best chance and was unlucky not to score, seeing an instinctive snapshot deflect off Holding and trickle agonisingly wide after Bobby Decordova-Reid's ambitious drive from distance had ricocheted off Dani Ceballos. There were arguably fortunate to still be level at the break when Ceballos was denied a first Premier League goal as his fine header was ruled off when Bukayo Saka was adjudged fractionally offside. Joachim Andersen breathed a sigh of relief when a potential own goal against him was similarly chalked off just before half-time, although the offside against Smith-Rowe was much more clear cut.

The visitors came out on the front foot after the interval, but almost immediately paid the penalty when a promising attack broke down and the Gunners poured forward. Lacazette drove wide from a very presentable position and Saka, easily Arsenal's most likely source of breaking the deadlock, then dangerously darted away from Antonee Robinson and almost surprised Areola at his near post – with his cross-cum-shot thudding off the woodwork. It looked as if Fulham would struggle to hold on to a point, but suddenly things got far better at the other end.

It came courtesy of Mario Lemina's sense of adventure. The on-loan Southampton midfielder, who secured Fulham's famous win at Anfield earlier this season with a fine strike, drove forward with purpose and almost found the rampaging right back Ola Aina in the Arsenal box. The ball bounced back towards Lemina, who got there just ahead of Gabriel, whose ill-timed challenge resulted in a penalty, awarded first by the referee's assistant and confirmed by Stuart Attwell after a check at Stockley Park. Maja stepped up and sent the spot-kick high into the roof of the net, handing Fulham a critical advantage.

They so nearly held onto it. Arsenal's striking resources, already diminished by the absence of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang who contracted malaria during the recent international break, were depleted further when Lacazette limped off with what looked like an injured hamstring. A combination of Areola and Tosin Adarabioyo kept out a header from Nicolas Pepe at the far post when the winger looked certain to equalise and the goalkeeper then made excellent stops from Martinelli and Nketiah. Harrison Reed produced a brilliant block in the fifth minute of stoppage time as Arsenal closed in again, but Fulham couldn't quite see it through to the end.

Nketiah's poacher's instinct robbed the Whites of their first top flight London derby win in 22 attempts, although it was something of a comedy of errors. Ruben Loftus-Cheek, presumably introduced to make Fulham harder to play through as time ticked away, somehow failed to keep the ball in the far side and Decordova-Reid needlessly conceded a corner when he failed to receive a shout that nobody in red was behind him at the far post. Goalkeeper Mat Ryan flicked Saka's delivery across the face of goal and Smith-Rowe smashed it through a crowd of legs. Areola pushed it out, but only as far as Nketiah who gleefully accepted the gift.

Parker spoke in the week of Fulham needed to bounce back from a number of body blows and retain their belief, but this one gut punch it will prove very difficult to recover from.

ARSENAL (4-2-3-1): Ryan; Bellerin (Pepe 68), Xhaka, Gabriel, Holding; Elneny (Partey 68), Ceballos; Saka, Martinelli, Smith-Rowe; Lacazette (Nketiah 70). Subs (not used): Leno, Cedric, Chambers, Mari, Willian, Nelson.

GOAL: Nketiah (90+7).

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Areola; Aina, Robinson, Andersen, Adarabioyo; Lemina, Anguissa; Cavaleiro (Bryan 84), Decordova-Reid, Lookman (Reed 69); Maja (Loftus-Cheek 77). Subs (not used): Fabri, Hector, Odoi, Ream, Onomah, Mitrovic.

BOOKED: Andersen, Decordova-Reid, Areola.

GOAL: Maja (pen 59).

REFEREE: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire).

VIDEO ASSISTANT REFEREE: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/04/nketiah-breaks-fulham-hearts/

WhiteJC

Parker fumes at familiar issue and reveals what Fulham must do to stay up

Fulham boss Scott Parker took aim at VAR after admitting that Sunday's draw with Arsenal at the Emirates felt like a loss.

The Cottagers looked set to claim a priceless three points after Josh Maja's penalty gave them a second-half lead. It was all hands to the pump as the home side threw everything at them towards the death. And with six of the seven minutes of stoppage time elapsed, Eddie Nketiah stabbed the ball home from close range. It was a cruel blow to the west Londoners, who remain deep in relegation trouble.

They sit in 18th spot and are six points adrift of 17th-placed Brighton having played two games more. Parker could not hide his frustration after the final whistle. And, once again, it was the video referee who was the subject of a manager's ire.

"I'm disappointed and gutted and the overriding factor is the team have worked tirelessly today, given everything, come to a place like this against a very good side and managed to get our nose in front," he told Sky Sports.

"Second half we had to weather it a bit and then the last action, I've just seen it back. He [Rob Holding] looks offside to me, he's standing in an offside position.

"As a consequence of where my keeper is, he's two yards away from the goal line and he's in an offside position – that's what's disappointing."

And the former Fulham midfielder was at a loss to explain why the decision was not overturned.

"I think the linesman sees Holding in an offside position we then go to someone who is miles away and I'm not just saying that because I'm standing on the end of a draw if someone's standing in an offside position then I don't understand that," he added.

Parker aware Fulham need perfect run-in

With only five games remaining and the Seagulls likely to pick up points, it is a desperate situation. A victory at Arsenal would have given all connected with the club a shot in the arm.

The boss confessed that it felt as though his side had lost the game. And he knows they must now win all remaining fixtures to stay up.

"It does (feel like a loss) when it comes that close, we wanted to win the game, we needed to win today, we need to win next week and the remaining games," he continued.

"We were so close today so it's been painful. As disappointed as I am now and the team are we'll wake up tomorrow and we will fight again and keep going."

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/parker-fumes-var-fulham-stay-up

WhiteJC

Fulham: Aina was anonymous in the draw against Arsenal

Fulham suffered late heartbreak at the Emirates on Sunday afternoon as Eddie Nketiah's dramatic equaliser earned Arsenal a point and left Scott Parker's side with a significant mountain to climb if they are to avoid relegation this season.

The Lilywhites had led thanks to Josh Maja's second-half penalty but came unstuck in the final minute of injury time, with Nketiah poking home after a corner caused chaos in the box.

The result leaves Fulham six points behind 17th-placed Brighton, who have two games in hand, with all the teams around Fulham continuing to pick up positive results.

One man who disappointed in the draw against Arsenal was right-back Ola Aina, with the Nigerian international struggling to have any real positive impact on the game.

As per SofaScore, the 24-year-old defender would earn a poor 6.3/10 rating for his performance, which was the second-worst of any player who started the game from either side, with only Frank Zambo-Anguissa rated lower (6.2).

During the game, Aina would have just 38 touches of the ball and would complete just 12/20 of his passes, resulting in a less than impressive 60% pass accuracy.

For context, Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola would have 42 touches of the ball and would complete 19 passes during the game, which goes to show just how little Aina was involved.

The Torino loanee has averaged 47.9 passes per game and a 78.4% pass accuracy in the Premier League so far this season, which emphasises how below-par he was at the Emirates.

Despite being involved so little, the £6.3m-rated defender would still manage to lose possession 14 times, whilst none of his six attempted long balls were accurate, so he was extremely wasteful on the rare occasions he did have the ball at his feet.

Whilst Aina can't be blamed for Arsenal's late equaliser, had he and his teammates managed to hold on to possession more effectively at the Emirates, then perhaps they would have managed to keep Arsenal at bay and earn an important three points.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-news/fulham-ola-aina-arsenal-scott-parker

WhiteJC

Manchester United legend Gary Neville scorches idea of Super League amid Burnley and Fulham performances

Neville calls for point deductions amid furious rant at European Super League plans

Gary Neville launched a furious attack on plans for a European Super League and the clubs who have allegedly signed up for the plans.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City have signed up to the breakaway plan, according to reports.

The developments occurred on the eve of a new-look 36-team Champions League being discussed by UEFA on Monday.

Neville pointed out that Arsenal had just failed to beat a resilient Fulham side and the first half of Manchester United vs Burnley showed that a gulf in riches does not always equate to the same result on the pitch. There are still 45 minutes to play at Old Trafford at the time of writing, however. Follow along here.

He said: "I'm not against the modernisation of football competitions. We have the Premier League, we have the Champions League, I don't think anyone can deny.

"But I think to bring forward proposals in the midst of Covid, in the midst of the economic crisis, is an absolute scandal. United, and the rest of the 'Big Six' clubs that have signed up to it, against the rest of the Premier League, should be ashamed of themselves.

"The European Super League - are Arsenal in that? They've just drawn with Fulham, Manchester United are drawing with Burnley.

"I can't concentrate on the game, me, they should deduct all six teams that have signed up to it. Deduct points from them all, to do it in a season is a joke. Anyway, let's move on."

The Premier League has said it "condemns any proposal that attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit".

"The Premier League condemns any proposal that attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart of the domestic and European football pyramid," the league said in a statement.

"Fans of any club in England and across Europe can currently dream that their team may climb to the top and play against the best," the statement continued.

"We believe that the concept of a European Super League would destroy this dream."

The statement added: "The Premier League is proud to run a competitive and compelling football competition that has made it the most widely watched league in the world.

"Our success has enabled us to make an unrivalled financial contribution to the domestic football pyramid.

"A European Super League will undermine the appeal of the whole game, and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member clubs, and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper.

"We will work with fans, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA, as well as other stakeholders, at home and abroad, to defend the integrity and future prospects of English football in the best interests of the game."

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-legend-gary-neville-20413249

WhiteJC

Parker laments the VAR decision that got away as Arsenal inflict another telling blow on Fulham

Scott Parker admitted the late equaliser conceded by Fulham at Emirates Stadium was hard to take - and said the goal should not have stood.

The Whites got the rub of the green with two VAR decisions in Sunday's lunchtime game - one which ruled out an Arsenal opener from Dani Ceballos and another which upheld the penalty won by Mario Lemina.

But they were denied the hat-trick after Eddie Nketiah's leveller deep into injury time, even though Rob Holding was in an offside position and arguably distracting Alphonse Areola in the Fulham goal.

The dropped points have left the Whites with just five games to overturn a six point deficit on teams who have games in hand. It is not looking good, to say the least.

"I've just seen it back," said the Fulham boss. "He [Rob Holding] looks offside to me, he's standing in an offside position.

"As a consequence of where my keeper is, he's two yards away from the goalline and he's in an offside position - that's what's disappointing. We defended superbly, we limited them to few chances. The longer the game was going on, I felt we had done well but the big factor is that late decision and the rules on it.

"We were so close today, so it's been painful. As disappointed as I am now and the team are, we'll wake up tomorrow and we will fight again and keep going. You see a team with effort, desire, with spirit and with that we've got a fighting chance."

Parker added: "I'm disappointed and gutted and the overriding factor is the team have worked tirelessly today, given everything, come to a place like this against a very good side and manged to get our nose in front."

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said his side should have won and played well considering the exertions of a midweek trip to Slavia Prague in the Europa League quarter-final.

"We started really well, controlling the game and creating chances," he said, "scoring a goal that was disallowed, in a very disappointing way, we kept going and didn't allow any shots on target and suddenly we concede a penalty and the game changes completely.

"We took risks in the right way, we could have scored three or four, we totally deserved to win the match but put ourselves in a difficult position.

"We have to just focus on the boys playing away in Europe and arriving here with the desire to go all the way to the 97th, 98th minute."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/parker-laments-the-var-decision-that-got-away-as-arsenal-inflict-another-telling-blow-on-fulham

WhiteJC

Verdict: It looks grim for Fulham – but the future's bright for Tosin

Last week was gut-wrenching. This was worse.

Fulham were denied a first-ever win at Arsenal by a 97th-minute equaliser – another late goal conceded in the battle to stay up.

Against Wolves there was no doubt about the last second-winner. This time, there was the faint hope the opposition's stab in the heart would be overturned by VAR.

Not so, and in truth, Fulham claimed a point against the odds and very clearly, the run of play.

Josh Maja's conversion from the spot was their one shot on target all game.

Having inched ahead, they manned the barricades with a will as the home side cranked up the pressure.

For all that, Bobby Decordova-Reid had more than enough time to clear the ball in the build-up to the equaliser as it sailed at him from a cross in the dying seconds.

It looked as if no-one gave him a call, so instead he back-headed for the corner that paved the way for the Gunners grab a point.

Zonal marking then cost Fulham when no one picked up Dani Ceballos to fire in the telling shot stabbed home by Eddie Nketiah to condemn the visitors.

Still, the Whites have had more than fair share of VAR nods going their way.

In fact, it's now 6-2 to Fulham on that score.

Before the leveller, two went their way when a big toe cost Arsenal in the first half and a level pair of limbs awarded the visitors a penalty in the second period.

The build-up to the Gunners non-goal was a lesson in speed of thought and one touch, and Fulham don't do that.

Look how Fulham make their way forward.

When was the last time you saw two one-touch passes back-to-back?

That's right, none of us can remember.

But they got the rub of the green when Maja stepped up to become the club's fourth penalty taker this term.

Tosin shows his class
Tosin would have been watching from the sidelines were it not for Terence Kongolo's bad luck.

The Dutch defender's sickening litany of injury after a terrific Premier League debut against Wolves prised open the door again for a young player who has been outstanding for most of the season, expect for two dreadful howlers against Burnley and Aston Villa.

And howlers they most certainly were. It cost his side three points, but he was back to near his best at The Emirates.

Definitely one who's going to make an impact in the future.

Alphonse Areola is another who can expect clubs to come in for him.

Another superlative performance from the French keeper, and he doesn't deserve to be in a side now a shoo-in for a plunge back to the Championship.

Interesting was Aleksandar Mitrovic back on the bench.

Scott Parker, ahead of his 100th game in charge, clearly thought he needed to muster what pace he has to get beyond Arsenal's defence.

Mitro is plenty of things. Fast he is not.

But there was so little attacking play from his team, pace or otherwise made no difference.

Harrison Reed also needed a rest.

One of the success stories of the season has run hundreds of miles for the cause. But it seems to have caught up with of late.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/verdict-it-looks-grim-for-fulham-but-the-futures-bright-for-tosin

WhiteJC

Parker insists Fulham can still stay up

Scott Parker insisted Fulham can still avoid relegation despite being denied a vital victory by Arsenal's last-gasp equaliser.

Eddie Nketiah tapped in to haul the Gunners level after six minutes of stoppage time at the Emirates Stadium.

Fulham were seconds away from securing a first-ever win at Arsenal – and points they desperately need in the battle to stay up.

But Whites boss Parker was adamant there is no prospect of accepting that relegation is now inevitable.

"No chance – absolutely no chance have we've lost hope," he said.

"The difference today was the decision at the end which I didn't agree with – the final kick of the game.

"The narrative would have been different if we'd managed to get the three points.

"This team has shown throughout the season that we can win games, we can come to big football clubs and get results.

"Of course there is belief. Why would there not be belief? Keep fighting and try to pick up points."

The decision Parker disagreed with was to allow Arsenal's goal to stand despite Rob Holding being in an offside position.

The Gunners defender was standing close to Fulham keeper Alphonso Areola but was adjudged to not be interfering with play.

Parker said: "He was two yards away from my keeper and three yards away from the goal.

"It's an irrelevance whether he attempted to play the ball. He's two yards away from the goal."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-insists-fulham-can-still-stay-up

WhiteJC

Scott Parker says Fulham will keep battling

Scott Parker has warned Fulham will not give up in the survival battle.

But Albion have the chance to increase their six-point lead over the 18th-placed Cottagers this week.

The Fulham boss was in defiant mood after his side conceded a very late equaliser in their 1-1 draw at Arsenal.

Albion have two games in hand on the Craven Cottage outfit as well as a superior goal difference.

Albion go to Chelsea tomorrow and Sheffield United on Saturday.

Fixtures for the first weekend of May have not yet been confirmed but Albion could play three times before Fulham next kick a ball.

Fulham currently have 15 points left to play for.

Asked whether Arsenal's late goal meant their chances of survival had come to an end, Parker's response was emphatic: "No chance, absolutely no chance.

"This team has shown throughout this season that we can win games, we can come to big football clubs against very big teams and get results and performances.

"Six points is the difference tonight. Of course there is belief, if something can change that quick, then why would there not be?

"Of course we are disappointed, I'm gutted. The last two weeks have been a real kick in terms of that but as always you get up tomorrow morning, gloves back on, keep fighting and go again."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19241981.scott-parker-says-fulham-will-keep-battling/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham's 1-1 Draw Against Arsenal

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our initial reaction show of Fulham's 1-1 draw against Arsenal.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/4/18/22390596/cottage-talk-full-time-fulhams-1-1-draw-against-arsenal