Super League aftermath

Started by ALG01, April 21, 2021, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

Quote from: Sammyffc on April 21, 2021, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: rebel on April 21, 2021, 04:29:51 PM
Quote from: winterline on April 21, 2021, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: Sammyffc on April 21, 2021, 03:40:50 PM
this talk of punishment is pretty hilarious, people are so dramatic.

Lets think, what could they actually be punished for ? none of them did anything wrong, nothing against the rules ... nothing.
They just attempted to create their own tournament... that is all that happened.

To punish clubs who ( wrongly ) tried to create their own competition away from the FIFA/ UEFA mafia is pretty hilarious to be honest

From 4:55
EPL rule L.9 states "clubs shall not ENTER or play in a competition WITHOUT prior approval from Premier league boards" 

Thanks Winterline.

Richard Masters ( Head of the Premier League ) '' "Premier League rules contain a commitment amongst clubs to remain within the football pyramid and forbid any clubs from entering competitions beyond those listed in Rule L9, without Premier League board permission.

"I cannot envisage any scenario where such permission would be granted. ''

So, what rule has been broken? it appears the clubs applied for permission, as per the rules.

They didn't apply for permission. They signed a contract with the ESL to enter it, without permission from the PL
I was there, standing in the Putney end

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on April 21, 2021, 01:34:10 PM
Nothing will be done. The Prem knows which side it's bread is buttered on.
Agree.  And that, in a nutshell, is why grass roots football is in decline.  If there is no capacity to be anything but greedy then, eventually, you get your comeuppance unless you can see the greed for what it is - a selfish and destructive force that wears blinkers to prevent it seeing sense.

Sammyffc

Quote from: JoelH5 on April 21, 2021, 05:51:03 PM

Lets think, what could they actually be punished for ? none of them did anything wrong, nothing against the rules ... nothing.
They just attempted to create their own tournament... that is all that happened.

To punish clubs who ( wrongly ) tried to create their own competition away from the FIFA/ UEFA mafia is pretty hilarious to be honest

EPL rule L.9 states "clubs shall not ENTER or play in a competition WITHOUT prior approval from Premier league boards" 

Thanks Winterline.

Richard Masters ( Head of the Premier League ) '' "Premier League rules contain a commitment amongst clubs to remain within the football pyramid and forbid any clubs from entering competitions beyond those listed in Rule L9, without Premier League board permission.

So, what rule has been broken? it appears the clubs applied for permission, as per the rules.

They didn't apply for permission. They signed a contract with the ESL to enter it, without permission from the PL

Thanks ! i have read through all the statements however and have not seen anyone say the clubs did anything illegal, it all seems to be based on morals and bringing the game into turmoil. Am i missing something ?.

rebel

Quote from: Sammyffc on April 21, 2021, 05:59:27 PM

Thanks Winterline.

Thanks ! i have read through all the statements however and have not seen anyone say the clubs did anything illegal, it all seems to be based on morals and bringing the game into turmoil. Am i missing something ?.

Not going to enter an endless debate.

You are saying they haven't broken any Rules, but they signed 'letters of intent', as said, if they had sought permission, that permission wouldn't have been granted, yet they 'signed letters of intent'. That's like putting 'the cart before the horse'.

Sammyffc

Quote from: rebel on April 21, 2021, 06:25:33 PM

Thanks Winterline.

You are saying they haven't broken any Rules, but they signed 'letters of intent', as said, if they had sought permission, that permission wouldn't have been granted, yet they 'signed letters of intent'. That's like putting 'the cart before the horse'.

I understand your point of view, it may look like i am being an **** but i am genuinely curious, as i have not seen any organization say what they did was illegal. This is the point i am making, if they signed letters of intent i highly doubt that has any legal binding to warrant punishment.

Secondly, i am sure the premier league will take them to court if they have a legal basis to do so, i am sure the lawyers for all these clubs will already be 100% sure they can not be punished for their actions. Rather, i see the clubs doing a gentlemans agreement with the premier league which looks like a ' punishment ' of some sort

bobbo

What a bunch of sleaze bags all those owners and chief execs are they would have persued it all had there not been the furor that there has been . They are now falling over each other in attempts to apologise .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Steeeeeeeeeed

Florentine Perez should be tied up naked in the middle of a goal, and a representative of each ot the 92 English League clubs allowed to "take penalties" at him

rebel

Quote from: Sammyffc on April 21, 2021, 06:45:33 PM
Quote from: rebel on April 21, 2021, 06:25:33 PM

Thanks Winterline.

I understand your point of view, it may look like i am being an **** but i am genuinely curious, as i have not seen any organization say what they did was illegal. This is the point i am making, if they signed letters of intent i highly doubt that has any legal binding to warrant punishment.

Secondly, i am sure the premier league will take them to court if they have a legal basis to do so, i am sure the lawyers for all these clubs will already be 100% sure they can not be punished for their actions. Rather, i see the clubs doing a gentlemans agreement with the premier league which looks like a ' punishment ' of some sort

This is pretty succinct - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12282315/european-super-league-other-14-premier-league-clubs-divided-on-big-six-punishments

SP

Interesting interview with John Barnes on the Beeb this morning, he believes the fans protests was not a factor in the about turn.  This is big business that plays by its own rules.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on April 21, 2021, 07:15:06 PM
Florentine Perez should be tied up naked in the middle of a goal, and a representative of each ot the 92 English League clubs allowed to "take penalties" at him

Ninety one hits. Nowhere near enough punishment.

Come on somebody was going to say it!

Wingnut

Quote from: SP on April 21, 2021, 09:55:37 PM
Interesting interview with John Barnes on the Beeb this morning, he believes the fans protests was not a factor in the about turn.  This is big business that plays by its own rules.

He's right. They pulled out of the ESL, and issued apologies, to protect their brands. The ESL owners are probably happy to let these fans believe that the protests worked though. It'll maintain, or even strengthen, the bond that they have with their clubs, and they'll spend their money on match tickets etc. Things will calm down in a week or two, and UEFA/PL will start playing ball with these ESL guys. The ESL guys will appease the fans with some glamour signings.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Wingnut on April 21, 2021, 11:55:50 PM

He's right. They pulled out of the ESL, and issued apologies, to protect their brands. The ESL owners are probably happy to let these fans believe that the protests worked though. It'll maintain, or even strengthen, the bond that they have with their clubs, and they'll spend their money on match tickets etc. Things will calm down in a week or two, and UEFA/PL will start playing ball with these ESL guys. The ESL guys will appease the fans with some glamour signings.

If these clubs could get British VISAs for foreign players, then the Super League would have gone ahead without British fans. Any owner wanting to make money from a football club has to get their team out of the ultra-competitive Premier League and Champions League into a "Closed Competition". The Boston Celtics are worth more than Arsenal, even though Boston has only one Championships since 1986 etc. Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus are still determined to get a Super League together, and I don't believe ManUtd & Arsenal have given up. We must be ready for war at any time.

rebel

Quote from: Wingnut on April 21, 2021, 11:55:50 PM

Yes regarding protecting brands, that's kind of obvious. But the fans played a huge part, simply look at the disruption before the Chelsea match. That is a 'microcosm' of the direct actions the fans would take in the future. Barnes is 'deluded' if he thinks the fans had no involvement. Just ask Petr Cech.

https://talksport.com/football/868736/cech-chelsea-fans-stamford-bridge-protest-european-super-league-brighton/

The Enclosurite

Exactly why I believe that a points deduction should be the punishment for this as hits the fans hard too (+ large fine).  There is nothing worse for the owners than a disgruntled fan base.  If the fans know that if any more of this BS occurs in the future points are at stake then they will be after the owners necks if they try it on again.
¡COYW!

toshes mate

Quote from: The Enclosurite on April 22, 2021, 10:42:02 AM
Exactly why I believe that a points deduction should be the punishment for this as hits the fans hard too (+ large fine).  There is nothing worse for the owners than a disgruntled fan base.  If the fans know that if any more of this BS occurs in the future points are at stake then they will be after the owners necks if they try it on again.
Agree.  Fans are hit by any major mismanagement by owners (just ask Bury FC supporters) and it is important to have a strong bond of trust between owners (in the generic sense) and supporters (in the generic sense).  Had the Big Six sought after fans' opinion of the ESL prior to signing letters of intent what would they have done? 

rebel

I think the 'Powers' that be, should wait until Man City are presented with the 'Premiership Title', then announce the points deduction.

Then present the title to Leicester etc. That's what I would do.

Wingnut

Quote from: rebel on April 22, 2021, 11:46:08 AM
I think the 'Powers' that be, should wait until Man City are presented with the 'Premiership Title', then announce the points deduction.

I've got a feeling that the PL will fine them, threaten them with expulsion if they do it again, and leave it at that. Was talking to a friend of mine who works in the PR world, and she says that these owners will view this a PR failure. They still believe in the super league. It just needs to be presented/sold better.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

jarv

I like the idea mentioned to dock 25 points. It would open the door for Leicester or West Ham to win the league. However, I would not stop there, dock another 25 at the start of next season.  That would send a message because this is not going to just go away.