Main Menu

At the risk of being labelled a heretic, I actually want us to be relegated

Started by 3 Cherries, April 24, 2021, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3 Cherries

Quote from: ALG01 on April 24, 2021, 10:23:15 PM
Quote from: 3 Cherries on April 24, 2021, 08:49:19 PM
Quote from: grandad on April 24, 2021, 08:47:21 PM
No true supporter would want their team to be relegated. Hold your head in shame.

The thought police

I do not want us to be relegated and I am astonished anyone would say they do.
I do not think the squad was good enough and scott has done a top class job just getting us to spitting distance. He has made errors but no forwards no goauls is not his fault.

I want us to squeak through and hopefully get a proper DoF that has a clue/
Otherwise we will go down, the squad will dismantle, the manager may or may not go but the real culprit will faf about until august 31st getting a sub standard set of loanees in again and we will stumble.

But absolutely I cannot say I want my team to fail, what I want is the errors to be corrected.

I agree with a lot of what you say but feel our team has failed already

ALG01

Quote from: 3 Cherries on April 24, 2021, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on April 24, 2021, 10:23:15 PM
Quote from: 3 Cherries on April 24, 2021, 08:49:19 PM
Quote from: grandad on April 24, 2021, 08:47:21 PM
No true supporter would want their team to be relegated. Hold your head in shame.

The thought police

I do not want us to be relegated and I am astonished anyone would say they do.
I do not think the squad was good enough and scott has done a top class job just getting us to spitting distance. He has made errors but no forwards no goauls is not his fault.

I want us to squeak through and hopefully get a proper DoF that has a clue/
Otherwise we will go down, the squad will dismantle, the manager may or may not go but the real culprit will faf about until august 31st getting a sub standard set of loanees in again and we will stumble.

But absolutely I cannot say I want my team to fail, what I want is the errors to be corrected.

I agree with a lot of what you say but feel our team has failed already

the season has been another missed opportunity
But next brings hope of better things. i would rather that was in the prem.

Jeroen

[/quote]

the season has been another missed opportunity
But next brings hope of better things. i would rather that was in the prem.
[/quote]

Yes, look at Villa - fire last season, stayed up with luck, but a few adjustments and look at them now

rebel

Quote from: 3 Cherries on April 24, 2021, 08:03:10 PM
I don't want us to catch Burnley - they are a much better team with more passion and balls than we've ever shown this season

We were promoted on the back of a very good (play-off final) one trick pony never to be repeated and for that Scotty should walk

The form doesn't lie - we are crap

And the sooner it becomes mathematically undoable the better so we can all be put out of our misery

You is the definition of 'clueless'. 

bill taylors apprentice

Wanting your team to be relegated means wanting your team to lose games and if you want that now, how often will you want 'your team' to lose in the future when you feel upset?

Now, most of us of a certain age will understand that the supporting a team like Fulham means that losing is going to happen more often than we would like.

Despite this fact I go into every game wanting my team to win and thinking there's at least a chance we can do so and it's this (maybe illogical) thinking that a proper supporter has, however tiny the hope.

You say, "Its because I lost faith in the current coach/team to do anything different"
"but feel our team has failed already"

FFS! How old are you, you sound like a whining school boy!
I have a feeling I'm wasting my time replying so I will leave it there.

toshes mate

Usually when we are in a crisis of some kind I have had a great optimism for the fight against adversity that the Club has historically demonstrated, but the constant anaemia that has pervaded our football since Jokanovic was sacked with Ranieri and Parker have taken the adrenalin out of the game for me.  Yes, I got excited in the play offs, and even the 'mid-season momentum' got me hoping, but Parker just hasn't got what it takes to make the next step up his ladder.  He's stuck on quite a low rung.  He fears going down a rung and yet he cannot go up a rung.  And so he moves from one side to the other side, aimlessly.  It'll do him good to move on.  It'll be up to the Khans to once again find us a better navigator to better times.  The odds for it happening don't inspire me either.

bobby01

Quote from: toshes mate on April 25, 2021, 08:42:09 AM
Usually when we are in a crisis of some kind I have had a great optimism for the fight against adversity that the Club has historically demonstrated, but the constant anaemia that has pervaded our football since Jokanovic was sacked with Ranieri and Parker have taken the adrenalin out of the game for me.  Yes, I got excited in the play offs, and even the 'mid-season momentum' got me hoping, but Parker just hasn't got what it takes to make the next step up his ladder.  He's stuck on quite a low rung.  He fears going down a rung and yet he cannot go up a rung.  And so he moves from one side to the other side, aimlessly.  It'll do him good to move on.  It'll be up to the Khans to once again find us a better navigator to better times.  The odds for it happening don't inspire me either.

Good assessment.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

3 Cherries

Quote from: bobby01 on April 25, 2021, 09:52:33 AM

Good assessment.

An excellent synopsis of our predicament

blingo

I want us to get rid of Parker, Tony Khan and all the loanees that don't want to play for us. Then I want us to build on a solid foundation with OUR players and go on to win the Champions League. Is any of it likely? No. Will we come straight back up if we go down? I don't think it will be a given in any sense of the word, especially with the way we handicap ourselves waiting until the transfer window is in its last day before buying players, which sets us back six weeks in any given season and taking on a bunch of crocked players and loanees that have no allegiance to us. Just once, I would like to see us get it right, kick of the season on the right footing and stay there, success breeds success. It is very frustrating starting off with a handicap season after season. To me our best season was with Roy, A cracking premiership season and a Europa Cup Final. I'm not asking for it every season, just once every 6-10 years. I want to see us lift a trophy before I pop my clogs, is it really so much to ask for with an owner worth in excess of $8 BILLION? I love the new stand but tbh i loved it more when, as a kid,  i could run around from the hammersmith end to the putney end and back, or watch the boat race from the Riverside stand. I know its progress and it has to happen, but sometimes tradition, at least in my eyes, wins.
Do I want to see us relegated? HELL NO. I love Fulham and what it has stood for. I don't want us to be like Man City or Real Madrid. Will we continue to be a family club? I'm not so sure. The game is only about money now and I think that that is what I find to be the saddest thing of all.

Luka

Quote from: 3 Cherries on April 25, 2021, 10:02:19 AM
Quote from: bobby01 on April 25, 2021, 09:52:33 AM

Good assessment.

An excellent synopsis of our predicament

Parker's fear of failure is greater than his ability to succeed.
He will never succeed when that fear of failure is his main motivation to continue.
It's like watching a trader continually trying to buy his way out bad trades before going bust.
A good trader wouldn't  be in it in the trades in the first place.

SP

Don't agree with the OP but I really don't want to be relegated when we play that lot down the road.

Blawarmy

Quote from: Whitestone on April 24, 2021, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: 3 Cherries on April 24, 2021, 09:04:21 PM
Quote from: Whitestone on April 24, 2021, 08:57:37 PM
A controversial post. I can't comprehend this way of thinking.

Its because I lost faith in the current coach/team to do anything different

Its like watching Groundhog Day every match

Fair enough. I can understand that school of thought, although I think offensively we are seriously lacking the quality to unlock opposition defences. That's not the fault of the manager or his coaching team.
That is the fault of the DOF but he's being hailed a Messiah now by many,  as he improved the defence!

rebel

Quote from: SP on April 25, 2021, 11:01:46 AM
Don't agree with the OP but I really don't want to be relegated when we play that lot down the road.

What team Thomas Tuchel picks will be interesting, he may rest players against us, because we are sandwiched in between Real Madrid home and away, The Champions League is their priority. 

toshes mate

Good memories, Mr Blingo. 

The two things I fell in love with on my first visit to Craven Cottage was the warmth of the Stevenage Road façade and the absolute freedom of the terraces once inside the ground.  At every game I wanted to be excited by the football and it didn't matter to me one hoot about what league we were in as long as we played football that got my heart beating and inspired my grey matter to believe.   

I loved the Malcolm Macdonald era when we sprayed the ball around the field like demons and fought like tigers to win games.  What should have been the pinnacle of that era, when it came, was instead the hollow grave, the typical tragedy, when football rules are bent and twisted because 'It's only Fulham' and the Club has to let the moment go in the name of sportsmanship.   

The outcome of this season is still an unknown and if it all goes to the last game then so be it.   But for the future I agree with you that it would be nice to have a properly run Club that knows it business, and is not simply concerned with keeping up appearances but actually doing what it says on the tin – playing football to the best of its professional ability and listening to the roar of an appreciating audience who are not so easily fooled by false prophets.   If only we could get back to that and, when we get it,  not the sack the guy who gives it to us because he is an awkward cuss ...

alfie

Quote from: alfie on April 25, 2021, 12:06:57 PM
Quote from: blingo on April 25, 2021, 10:12:11 AM
I want us to get rid of Parker, Tony Khan and all the loanees that don't want to play for us. Then I want us to build on a solid foundation with OUR players and go on to win the Champions League. Is any of it likely? No. Will we come straight back up if we go down? I don't think it will be a given in any sense of the word, especially with the way we handicap ourselves waiting until the transfer window is in its last day before buying players, which sets us back six weeks in any given season and taking on a bunch of crocked players and loanees that have no allegiance to us. Just once, I would like to see us get it right, kick of the season on the right footing and stay there, success breeds success. It is very frustrating starting off with a handicap season after season. To me our best season was with Roy, A cracking premiership season and a Europa Cup Final. I'm not asking for it every season, just once every 6-10 years. I want to see us lift a trophy before I pop my clogs, is it really so much to ask for with an owner worth in excess of $8 BILLION? I love the new stand but tbh i loved it more when, as a kid,  i could run around from the hammersmith end to the putney end and back, or watch the boat race from the Riverside stand. I know its progress and it has to happen, but sometimes tradition, at least in my eyes, wins.
Do I want to see us relegated? HELL NO. I love Fulham and what it has stood for. I don't want us to be like Man City or Real Madrid. Will we continue to be a family club? I'm not so sure. The game is only about money now and I think that that is what I find to be the saddest thing of all.
Your last sentence sums it up, it ceased to be a game/sport years ago, a lot of blame goes on players and their agents demanding and getting abhorrent wages, and some blame is attached to us the supporters demanding top class players with these abhorrent wages and ridiculous transfer fees.
The romance of football has left me, even after years working at Fulham, I grew up an Arsenal supporter, but when I started at Fulham it gradually took me over, I became a Fulham supporter and an Arsenal follower, it's been this way for the last 20 years, I don't have full life long connections that some have, so probably don't feel it as much. Nowadays  due to health reasons I very rarely get to games, and to honest I don't miss it that much, I would rather enjoy the fun I have with my grandchildren.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Holders

At this stage of the season, it doesn't matter what any of us "want": barring a miracle, relegation is virtually a fait accompli.

What saddens me is that the core of the team, which did so well for a period after the bad start, will be broken up as loanees return and maybe the likes of Anguissa are loaned out or sold. For a time, there was a good, passionate, skillful and likeable team there. It's wrong to blame the loanees: who would say that Areola, Anderson and Lemina, for example,  haven't played with passion? Without naming names, even a loanee who hasn't demonstrated passion in the same visible way may have worked as hard in his own way.

I believe that, if we could have stayed up, we'd have the core of a good team, with a few strategic additions. Now we are faced with rebuilding for the "Championship" and then again for the PL at some point (SK hasn't built that stand for nothing). Ok, hopefully there won't have been the delay in the play-off due to Covid again but we'll face all of the same problems in team-building that TK outlined in his interview.

No, it would be better not to be relegated.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria