watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lessons Learned

Started by FulhamStu, April 30, 2021, 03:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

Enjoyed the discussion re lessons leaned this season on the FOF pod.

I would agree with the general theme that was the club appear to be lacking is a long term plan.  Last promotion we spent loads on players and risked a lot on players like Shurlle getting back to world class form.  Spent big on Frank, Seri, Mitro.  And took a risk on the injured Mawson.  This season we went for value with Robinson, Tete, Tosin and even Reed, this paid of but even getting some great loans with Areola, Andersen and Lookman, has not been enough. We risked a lot hoping RLC would recover his form and Mitro could deliver after his injuries and tiredness the previous season.  Clearly the defence was the major issue requiring an upgrade and this was very well achieved, but it was done so at the expense of almost everything else.

After realising things were not working, Parker changed his style to one of defensive solidity and breaking quickly, this tactic whilst making sense effectively relegated our only decent striker to the bench.

To sum it up, I would call our management of the football over the past few seasons as one of reacting and not planning properly.  It is fair and reasonable to put most of this at the feet of Tony Khan as this is the role of a DOF.  What Tony Khan actually is, is head of recruitment, that's ok, but the role needs a DOF above him.  The DOF should be responsible for the strategic planning and long term goals of the football, the academy through to the first team, style of play, how we will set up tactically and giving the coaching teams what they need to win.

For the life of me, I can't see how a proper DOF can be done part time and from thousands of miles away by someone with a  limited football background.  Head of recruitment is difficult enough, but DOF requires so much more.  I quite like TONY, I like his enthusiasm, his love of FFC, and his closeness to the money.   If he and his Dad really want us to succeed in the long term, surely they can see this.  Maybe they refuse to accept they can't do it all I don't know but they are not stupid and Shahid purely as a businessman must make changes.  Maybe make TONY the owner, a sort of young Alfayed, allow him to be a decision maker but recruitment of a long term serious DOF has to be the priority.   Maybe having him for the past years is a development excercise to give him him football knowledge on way to becoming the future owner or co-owner with Dad, that would make a lot of sense but a hell of a way to go about it.

Life's at least never dull being a Fulham fan. 

Willham

Quote from: FulhamStu on April 30, 2021, 03:15:44 PM

I would agree with the general theme that was the club appear to be lacking is a long term plan.  Last promotion we spent loads on players and risked a lot on players like Shurlle getting back to world class form.  Spent big on Frank, Seri, Mitro.  And took a risk with it the injured Mawson.  This season we went for value with Robinson, Tete, Tosin and even Reed, this paid of but even getting some great loans with Areola, Andersen and even Lookman, has not been enough. We risked a lot on hoping RLC would recover his form and Mitro could deliver after his injuries and tiredness the previous season.  Clearly the defence was the major issue requiring an upgrade and this was very well achieved, but it was done so at the expense of everything else.

After realising things were not working, Parker changed his style to one of defensive solidity and breaking quickly, this tactic whilst making sense defectively relegated our only decent striker to the bench.

To sum it up, I would call our management of the football over the past few seasons as one of reacting and not planning properly.  It is fair and reasonable to put most of this at the feet of Tony Khan as this is the role of a DOF.  What Tony Khan actually is is head of recruitment, that's ok, but the role needs a DOF above him.  The DOF should be responsible for the strategic planning and long term goals of the football team, the academy through to the first team.

For the life of me, I can't see how a proper DOF can be done part time and from thousands of miles away by someone with a  limited football background.  Head of recruitment is difficult enough, but DOF requires so much more.  I quite like TONY, I like his enthusiasm, his love of FFC, and his closeness to the money.   If he and his Dad really want us to succeed in the long term, surely they can see this.  Maybe they refuse to accept they can't do it all I don't know but they are not stupid and Shahid purely as a businessman must make changes.  Maybe make TONY the owner a sort of young Alfayed, allow his to be a decision maker but recruitment of a long term serious DOF has to be the priority.

I disagree,

I think give TK 5 to 10 more years and we'll be a really comfortable premiership team, I could see the family one day getting us into Europe through league finish.

Someone brought up the NFL and what it seems to take for a good Director and it seems like giving them time is all you need now.

Money isnt everything as we know from man city.
They had/have what was described as an endless pit of money.

It still took them a good few years to make it into what they are now. But they stuck to their guns and came out smelling of Rose's.

We're currently doing the same and as long as TK still have that passion for FFC then hes the man for me.

I truly believe give us 5 to 10 more years and he'll really know what he's doing

FulhamStu

Quote from: Willham on April 30, 2021, 04:54:54 PM

I would agree with the general theme that was the club appear to be lacking is a long term plan.  Last promotion we spent loads on players and risked a lot on players like Shurlle getting back to world class form.  Spent big on Frank, Seri, Mitro.  And took a risk with it the injured Mawson.  This season we went for value with Robinson, Tete, Tosin and even Reed, this paid of but even getting some great loans with Areola, Andersen and even Lookman, has not been enough. We risked a lot on hoping RLC would recover his form and Mitro could deliver after his injuries and tiredness the previous season.  Clearly the defence was the major issue requiring an upgrade and this was very well achieved, but it was done so at the expense of everything else.

After realising things were not working, Parker changed his style to one of defensive solidity and breaking quickly, this tactic whilst making sense defectively relegated our only decent striker to the bench.

To sum it up, I would call our management of the football over the past few seasons as one of reacting and not planning properly.  It is fair and reasonable to put most of this at the feet of Tony Khan as this is the role of a DOF.  What Tony Khan actually is is head of recruitment, that's ok, but the role needs a DOF above him.  The DOF should be responsible for the strategic planning and long term goals of the football team, the academy through to the first team.

For the life of me, I can't see how a proper DOF can be done part time and from thousands of miles away by someone with a  limited football background.  Head of recruitment is difficult enough, but DOF requires so much more.  I quite like TONY, I like his enthusiasm, his love of FFC, and his closeness to the money.   If he and his Dad really want us to succeed in the long term, surely they can see this.  Maybe they refuse to accept they can't do it all I don't know but they are not stupid and Shahid purely as a businessman must make changes.  Maybe make TONY the owner a sort of young Alfayed, allow his to be a decision maker but recruitment of a long term serious DOF has to be the priority.

I disagree,

I think give TK 5 to 10 more years and we'll be a really comfortable premiership team, I could see the family one day getting us into Europe through league finish.

Someone brought up the NFL and what it seems to take for a good Director and it seems like giving them time is all you need now.

It still took them a good few years to make it into what they are now. But they stuck to their guns and came out smelling of Rose's.

We're currently doing the same and as long as TK still have that passion for FFC then hes the man for me.

I truly believe give us 5 to 10 more years and he'll really know what he's doing

Is this your 5-10 year plan 😂. Sorry but that's a pretty thin plan.

Willham

Quote from: FulhamStu on April 30, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

I disagree,

Sort of, but what I'm saying is, I have faith in tony Khan 5 10 year plan.

What's the point in bringing in another director who might want to take the club in a whole different direction and we start from ground zero again.
Right now we're a work in process and i still have faith that the right foundations have been planted, my dad (a hull city fan) always talks about how he enjoys watching fulham because they play nice football, and I believe we do too. A number of people at my workplace say the same. We have a decent philosophy and this is SP and TKs plan. SP might go but TK still likes players who can pass and move, evident from all previous signings and all manager, (maybe bar ranieri) TK really shows he wants us to be successful and shows he cares. That's all I want from a man who's spending money. Stability is ideal in these positions. We're still going through the transitional period last time DoF changed. Please please please dont start the whole process again!

Jims Dentist

I disagree,

[/quoteIs this a wind up post.
In what profesional organisation does a key employee get that amount of time to get it right, particularly when having made so many bad decisions previously.
Yes we love the investment in our club, but so much of this has been blown on huge transfer fees and wages for players who are well below the standard needed.
FFP will now likely restict the influence of the Khan money which has got us promotions previously.

Karlos

I would agree with the general theme that was the club appear to be lacking is a long term plan.  Last promotion we spent loads on players and risked a lot on players like Shurlle getting back to world class form.  Spent big on Frank, Seri, Mitro.  And took a risk on the injured Mawson.  This season we went for value with Robinson, Tete, Tosin and even Reed, this paid of but even getting some great loans with Areola, Andersen and Lookman, has not been enough. We risked a lot hoping RLC would recover his form and Mitro could deliver after his injuries and tiredness the previous season.  Clearly the defence was the major issue requiring an upgrade and this was very well achieved, but it was done so at the expense of almost everything else.

After realising things were not working, Parker changed his style to one of defensive solidity and breaking quickly, this tactic whilst making sense effectively relegated our only decent striker to the bench.

To sum it up, I would call our management of the football over the past few seasons as one of reacting and not planning properly.  It is fair and reasonable to put most of this at the feet of Tony Khan as this is the role of a DOF.  What Tony Khan actually is, is head of recruitment, that's ok, but the role needs a DOF above him.  The DOF should be responsible for the strategic planning and long term goals of the football, the academy through to the first team, style of play, how we will set up tactically and giving the coaching teams what they need to win.

For the life of me, I can't see how a proper DOF can be done part time and from thousands of miles away by someone with a  limited football background.  Head of recruitment is difficult enough, but DOF requires so much more.  I quite like TONY, I like his enthusiasm, his love of FFC, and his closeness to the money.   If he and his Dad really want us to succeed in the long term, surely they can see this.  Maybe they refuse to accept they can't do it all I don't know but they are not stupid and Shahid purely as a businessman must make changes.  Maybe make TONY the owner, a sort of young Alfayed, allow him to be a decision maker but recruitment of a long term serious DOF has to be the priority.   Maybe having him for the past years is a development excercise to give him him football knowledge on way to becoming the future owner or co-owner with Dad, that would make a lot of sense but a hell of a way to go about it.

Life's at least never dull being a Fulham fan. 

+1 with the thoughts and comments

Karlos

I disagree,

Can I have some of what your smoking please

ALG01

I disagree,

I wouldn't give TK 5 to 10 more minutes. He is destroying the team, tking the fun out of it, remaoins totally clueless, talks to us on his video chats like we are idiots, he sounds like a naughty schoolboy explaining that the dog ate his homework. He is an arrogant person that cannot see he is not fit for purpose. In any other business but one owned by his dad, he would have been shown the door ages ago for gross incompetence.

With all the hionesty I can muster I do not mean you any disrespect, but what are you talking about 5 to 10 year plan? he couldn't manage to get a couple of forwards in in january, he failed miserably to save this season because he either didn't try, or, he does nothave , and will not acquire the skill set. As a minimum he would have brought in two more offensive players, evenm if they were gambles, at least try. the squad isn't good enough and has not been since the Khan's took over and that is down to tony and his failed theories.

The man needs to step aside.  to  more years of him will affect my long term well being!

FulhamStu

Quote from: ALG01 on May 01, 2021, 09:42:05 AM

I disagree,

I wouldn't give TK 5 to 10 more minutes. He is destroying the team, tking the fun out of it, remaoins totally clueless, talks to us on his video chats like we are idiots, he sounds like a naughty schoolboy explaining that the dog ate his homework. He is an arrogant person that cannot see he is not fit for purpose. In any other business but one owned by his dad, he would have been shown the door ages ago for gross incompetence.

With all the hionesty I can muster I do not mean you any disrespect, but what are you talking about 5 to 10 year plan? he couldn't manage to get a couple of forwards in in january, he failed miserably to save this season because he either didn't try, or, he does nothave , and will not acquire the skill set. As a minimum he would have brought in two more offensive players, evenm if they were gambles, at least try. the squad isn't good enough and has not been since the Khan's took over and that is down to tony and his failed theories.

The man needs to step aside.  to  more years of him will affect my long term well being!

Let me put it another way, given his situation.  Lives in another continent, no football history, seems to spend more time on other major roles he has, TONY is actually doing a remarkable job.  The facts however are we need a full time man on the job who is integrated into the day to day workings of the football at the club, someone with great contacts and someone who understands the football world.  Can spot a player at Lincoln or some Swedish side we can't pronounce.  Someone who alongside Scott can set the agenda and strategy for the footballing style and get the right players to support that style.  That man can't possibly be TONY, is just not humanly possible.  I like TONY, I like is videos, I like to see his love for Fulham.  Why is Co-owner not enough for him? He can get involved as much as he wants, supporting his DOF and head coach, inputting his ideas but he just can't run it and isn't running it on a day to day basis, it's a wonder we are doing as well as we are with the current set up.

toshes mate

If you take the order of events and try to fit some logic to the Khans' thinking then you can find it.  They attempted to find manager/coaches and, prior to Symons appointment accepted they couldn't do it, and consulted a groupthink.  Groupthinks are dangerous but when you are stuck with nobody you can truly trust to do a good job they are better than nothing.  Symons was the 'popular' choice and ambled along much as Parker has albeit in the Championship, but he didn't improve.  The Khans now know that Groupthink is as dangerous as their own plunderings and so they plunder again.  Along comes Jokanovic and in the last part of the season he isn't exactly any better than Symons.  CK seizes his opportunity and with TK has ample argument on his side to convince Dad that the pair could run the Club better with a computer model and a decent coach (who may or may not be Jokanovic). 

Their first window is not so bright but doesn't stop Jokanovic using his skills on the pitch, and so Rigg and Brooks leave and any trace of potential allies for Jokanovic POV are removed.  Jokanovic achieves sixth place and the play-offs and has the team playing brilliantly at times.  CK & TK soak up the relief that the Club is moving in the right direction.   Temperatures rise over another ill conceived transfer window and JHokanovic is forced to deal with problems he neither needed nor created.  CK leaves the building and now the pressure rises upon TK all on his own.  Jokanovic is struggling and TK gets Dad to talk to Ranieri, because otherwise he is next in line to be out manoeuvred by our Serbian coach. 

His winter window is uninspired until Targett and Mitrovic arrive and, amazingly are just what Jokanovic needed the previous summer!!!  TK loves the adulation he feels when the Wembley Final is won, and is now going to launch his recruitment offensive believing he is the saviour (and after all the pratfalls why not?).   Jokanovic now knows that Ranieri is attending every home game and he is pressurised by the Khans into a new contract but just will not let them have their way.   He knows his days are numbered unless he can work a miracle and that takes time and he already knows he is probably not going to get much added time at all.   TK and SK know Ranieri believes in the squad TK has assembled.  Jokanovic is ejected and all hell is let loose because the wrong guy is now in charge.  TK and SK must both know they made the wrong call and have learned very little.  But what to do next when they have tried all the obvious ways forward?   Parker was the safe bet but not safe enough to promise a bright future without a lot of good fortune in other directions e.g. players signed; players sold; tactics; ability; and suitability for the league played in; all the usual stuff that fills football life and helps to determine fates if not absolutely.

What if the Khans took a step away and actually tried the 'Javier Pereira' solution over again to support the march to automatic promotion and determine the type of football the club will play from top to bottom?   

The Khans are damned if they do and damned if they don't because they haven't learnt enough about English football to allow them to manage a club like Fulham.     

Twig

Quote from: Willham on April 30, 2021, 05:49:29 PM
Quote from: FulhamStu on April 30, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

I disagree,

Sort of, but what I'm saying is, I have faith in tony Khan 5 10 year plan.

What's the point in bringing in another director who might want to take the club in a whole different direction and we start from ground zero again.
Right now we're a work in process and i still have faith that the right foundations have been planted, my dad (a hull city fan) always talks about how he enjoys watching fulham because they play nice football, and I believe we do too. A number of people at my workplace say the same. We have a decent philosophy and this is SP and TKs plan. SP might go but TK still likes players who can pass and move, evident from all previous signings and all manager, (maybe bar ranieri) TK really shows he wants us to be successful and shows he cares. That's all I want from a man who's spending money. Stability is ideal in these positions. We're still going through the transitional period last time DoF changed. Please please please dont start the whole process again!

I don't see how you can have faith in a 5-10 year plan that currently doesn't exist. If one single thing has been clear about TK's tenure as DoF it is that there is no playing philosophy, no clear strategy and no plan. Unless you call lots of loans and late transfers a plan? To me he's been highly opportunistic with no consistent strategy.