more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 30/04/21...

Started by WhiteJC, April 30, 2021, 08:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'Special game for me' - Fulham's Ola Aina ahead of return to Stamford Bridge

Fulham defender Ola Aina is relishing facing his former club Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday.

The Nigeria international has fond memories of his time at The Blues, where he spent twelve years before joining Torino on a permanent deal in the summer of 2019.

Handed his professional debut by Antonio Conte, Aina played six games in total for the first team, including three in the Premier League during their title-winning season, before departing the club.

The right back enjoyed more success with Chelsea's youth teams, winning the UEFA Youth League twice, the FA Youth Cup on two occasions and U21 Premier League.

Speaking to Fulham's official website before the trip to Stamford Bridge, Aina said : "It's going to be a tough game, a very tough game. I came through the ranks there so I know a lot of people, a lot of coaches.

"It's going to be a special game for me, but nevertheless the team's going there to do a job, and hopefully we can.

"I had great memories at Chelsea because I was there from when I was a kid to a young man, some good memories with the first team as well, being with that Premier League winning squad in 2016/17.

"I get excited for every fixture, but to play against your boyhood club is always one that you relish, and I'm looking forward to it."

Five matches to the end of the 2020-2021 season, Fulham sit seven points from safety and cannot afford to slip up against Chelsea.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=39734

WhiteJC

'It makes sense' – Fulham plot move for 10-goal Sheffield Wednesday star: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Fulham are running the rule over a potential move for Josh Windass, according to the Sheffield Star.

The Sheffield Wednesday forward has enjoyed a decent campaign on a personal level, after scoring 10 and creating 10 more for the Owls this term.

Unfortunately for Wednesday it's come in a campaign when the club are closing on on relegation to League One.

That could see Windass looking to secure a move back to the Championship, and with Fulham on course to be relegated from the top flight it could be a move that comes off.

So would Windass be a good signing for Fulham?

The team at FLW have their say...

Ben Wignall

I thought Fulham would be aiming their sights a bit higher to be honest.

Right now we don't know what league the Cottagers will be in next season but if I'd have to hazard a guess they'd be back in the Championship, but I'd still think with the money they'll have they'd be looking at someone better.

Windass does have his qualities – he's very versatile and has scored nine goals this season but I'm not sure he'd quite fit in a team that would be looking for an immediate promotion back to the Premier League.

He'd be a good fit for say a Stoke, a Middlesbrough or someone like that but Fulham? I just don't see it.

George Dagless

Could be an interesting one.

I'd imagine this is Fulham planning for life back in the Championship and it makes sense to look out for players that are second-tier proven.

Windass has been a decent performer this year and I do think there is plenty more for him to give at this level despite what has happened to the Owls.

Is he a player that waltzes straight into that Fulham side? No, but I do think there will be a turnover in players at the club this summer and he could be a good option to restock the squad and provide a fairly reliable option for a new Championship challenge.

Alfie Burns

Windass has performed really well in recent weeks and I'm sure that his output in terms of goals and assists will have caught the eye.

Fulham, for me, look like they will be relegated into the Championship again, so I think that someone of Windass' ilk could be a really good signing.

He's doing well in a poor side right now, but he could be even more influential if he links up with a Fulham side you'd expect to be challenging at the sharp end of the Championship table.

Fulham will need to tweak their squad slightly and adding a couple of players with Championship quality will go a long way towards helping them back to where they want to be.

Windass feels a good fit.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/it-makes-sense-fulham-plot-move-for-10-goal-sheffield-wednesday-star-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Journalist reveals Parker future claim

On the latest edition of Touchline Talk, Eurosport journalist Dean Jones has been speaking about Fulham's managerial stance with just five Premier League games remaining.

The Cottagers have just five games to salvage their Premier League status, however, they will be relying on other teams to slip up dramatically, with 17th-placed Brighton & Hove Albion seven points adrift.

Jones hailed manager Scott Parker for his efforts this season, however, he did admit he has heard whispers surrounding the club's stance on the 40-year-old's future.

Parker was appointed the Fulham manager in 2019 and has been at the helm of the Cottagers for 100 games, but he faces a huge ask for his side to keep their Premier League status now.

When questioned on whether he sees Fulham keeping Parker after the end of this Premier League campaign, Jones had the following to say:

"I really want him to [stay] – I'm a Fulham fan, and I've been really impressed by the way he's learned in the job. He's made a lot of mistakes, but he's always learned from them and found ways to overcome them.

"I actually think Scott Parker's got a huge future in the game as a coach and as a manager. I know coaches that actually think he can go all the way to the very top and manage either a big club, maybe like Tottenham, or even get involved in the England setup at some point. 

"So he's got a really good reputation in the game, he's a really nice guy. I think Fulham would be mad to part ways with him. I hope it doesn't happen. I have heard some whispers that they will consider it, but I hope it's not true."

TIF Thoughts on Jones' comments...

It has been a turbulent season for Parker and Fulham. At times the Cottagers have looked great, beating Liverpool in a run of games where it looked like they were on track to beat the drop, but over the last month their survival push has fallen off the tracks with no wins in their last five.

Despite staring relegation in the face, Jones believes Parker is still the right man for the job and has a huge future ahead of him in football management. Recently, the former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder has been linked with a potential return to north London.

There is still a lot to play for this season for Fulham and it is clear Jones hopes the Whites do not move on from Parker if they are to return to the Championship next season.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/04/blogs/premier-league/fulham/fulham-journalist-reveals-parker-future-claim/

WhiteJC

Pre-Chelsea Press Conference

Scott Parker is playing for victory away at Chelsea on Saturday, but knows how good a team Fulham will be up against.

The Blues have the FA Cup Final to look forward to, secured an impressive 1-1 draw at Real Madrid in the Champions League Semi-Finals, and are on course for a top-four finish in the Premier League.

"We're playing against a really good side who are in good form," Parker admitted. "When you're going to Stamford Bridge and you're a team like us, luck needs to be with you and we need to play exceptionally well.

"Everything needs to go for us in that sense. We have to be very, very hard to beat, and we have to hope that there's certain elements of Chelsea which are a little bit off it.

"Again, do I believe we can go there and get a result? Yeah I do. But at the same time I realise the challenge, I realise the quality we're up against.

"It's a team bang in form, a team that have done very, very well. Albeit a difficult situation for us in terms of where we are in this division, this is one we can't wait to play in."

Chelsea's defensive record has been excellent since the appointment of Thomas Tuchel, and Parker knows his side will have to be ruthless with the opportunities that come their way.

"It's been a constant challenge for us," he said. "Do we create those chances? I believe we can, I believe we can create, we certainly can get those moments, we just need to be clinical.

"Those moments against Chelsea won't come every other chance, but when they do come you need to be on the right end of them.

"Of course, defensively they're a very strong side, a side with a wealth of experience and quality, so there's that challenge there, but it's a challenge we'll embrace."

With just five games remaining and the Whites seven points from safety, many appear to have condemned us to relegation.

You won't find Parker throwing in the towel, though.

"We need to have that belief now," he explained. "Can we go and beat Chelsea? Yeah we can.

"If we don't go and beat Chelsea, I get that come Monday morning, that challenge is going to be harder.

"There's still a lot to play for, a lot of games, but we all understand that that challenge is becoming very, very difficult for us.

"Our main focus now is let's try and win games, let's keep improving, keep playing well and hope that maybe we can get some results.

"The last two games, on another day you come out with four points. I know we've not, and I reiterate that, I understand that. Instead we've come out with one, and we have to keep going.

"Our focus this week has been to try and win the game. The challenge is that we're going to have to win near on all of them. Can we do it? I still think we can."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/april/Pre-Chelsea-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Chelsea versus Fulham is the quietest of trap games

Lost in the noise of Chelsea finally being in a Champions League semifinal again has been the simple fact that all eyes can't remain on Real Madrid. The 1-1 is done, and while everyone wants to war game scenarios for the second leg and a potential final, there is the matter of a London Derby no one is paying attention to right now.

Chelsea should beat Fulham and the Cottagers should probably expect to drop. But in the Real Madrid distraction, they can set their trap for the Blues. Should this be a trap game? No, but the lack of attention being paid to it means it very well could be a quiet one.

As already mentioned, Chelsea has eyes on Real Madrid. They'll surely have eyes on keeping pace on top four, but with a team like Fulham it is easy to make assumptions on that one. That is what Fulham will be hoping for anyways. They are pretty much at the point now where they have to win out to have a chance of survival. Crazier great escapes have happened and they almost always start with a big, unexpected scalp to galvanize the side.

This is a London derby after all, though a particularly one sided one. The current Fulham side is a far cry from the Fulham sides that used to push Chelsea to the edge no matter where either was in the table. Now, they pretty much try to stall Chelsea out and that might be where the Blues falter.

Thomas Tuchel will have a choice to make. Option one is rotate, because really Fulham is his last chance to do so in mass. That, on paper, shouldn't risk the result versus the Cottagers but it should make getting one against Real Madrid more likely. Option two is to keep a similar side with minimal rotation if any, and try to keep pace in all competitions. That may not harm Chelsea versus Real Madrid, but fitness is a very thin margin right now.

Either way, Tuchel may run into the same issue: a Fulham side that shells up in a way his Blues can't solve. Tuchel's Chelsea has been many things but free scoring has not been one of them. Overall, the creation and chances have improved from his first few matches but they still lack a true edge to strike fear into opponents. Defensively and in possession, Chelsea can get enough of a hold on a game that the one or two goals from the blue get them through. That has proven more sustainable than expected, but Brighton showed the Blues can still be held to a 0-0 without anything particularly spectacular.

That is what Fulham will be hoping for. They'll want Chelsea to be distracted and/or fatigued by Real Madrid. They'll want to find their way into that space and pull off the upset they desperately need. Chelsea can't afford to drop points, but it is hard to deal with Fulham with Real Madrid either side and the tie far from settled.

Tuchel has had many "cup finals" or "most important match yet" moments in his brief tenure. Fulham needs to be treated the same. Otherwise, the lack of attention to them is going to sneak up on Chelsea.

https://theprideoflondon.com/2021/04/29/chelsea-versus-fulham-quietest-trap-games/

WhiteJC

Fulham future could be discussed within next 10 days, says Parker

Fulham's plans for the future could start to take shape over the next 10 days, says Scott Parker.

The head coach knows defeats against Chelsea on Saturday and Burnley on Monday week will probably confirm relegation.

Even if other clubs falter, the chances of a great escape will be all but impossible.

By that time, Brighton, in the first safety spot, would have to get no more than two points in their next two games to extend the agony for Whites fans – and Parker knows it.

"I suspect that (discussion) will be the case in the next 10 days, two weeks, I'd like to think so," he said.

"I think that conversation needs to take place when it's definitive and you know where you are.

"The outcome of what you could face is so big; it's massive to go from one league to another league.

"I'd like to think those things are happening behind me in the club in other departments.

"But for me, I have one focus and that is to try and get some results.

"When's all said and done, I'm sure my reaction and attitude to that will change and we'll find out exactly the plan."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-future-to-be-discussed-within-next-10-days-says-parker

WhiteJC

West Ham and Newcastle interested in signing Southampton's Mario Lemina

Gabon international is on loan at Fulham this season
    Lemina understood to be available for around £7m

West Ham and Newcastle are interested in signing Mario Lemina from Southampton, with the Gabon international understood to be available for £7m.

The 27-year-old has made 17 Premier League starts so far this season during his loan spell with Fulham, who have an option to make his transfer permanent in the summer. But with Scott Parker's side seven points adrift of a safe position and just five matches remaining, they face a struggle to remain in the Premier League.

Lemina's impressive performances at Craven Cottage have alerted West Ham and Newcastle, with initial contact over a potential transfer having been made with his entourage. Having spent last season on loan at Galatasaray in Turkey, Lemina has not played for Southampton since May 2019 but still has two years remaining on his contract after being signed from Juventus in 2017 for a then club record fee of £15.4m.

It is understood that he is not part of Ralph Hasenhüttl's plans for next season and will be allowed to leave for around £7m. Danny Ings is set to miss Friday evening's game at home to Leicester due to a hamstring injury, with the Southampton manager unsure when the England striker will return.

"It is not that [much] worse than it looked at first but it's also that serious that he misses now a few games, I don't know if he comes back for the last games," Hasenhüttl said. "We have Liverpool and then five games in two weeks so we need every player."

Meanwhile, Ademola Lookman – who is on loan at Fulham from RB Leipzig – is a target for Leicester but could be given an opportunity in Germany under new manager Jesse Marsch.

Parker, whose side face Chelsea on Saturday looking for a first win at Stamford Bridge since 1979, said he will not give up hope of avoiding relegation just yet.

"The reason I believe is because it's so close, as in the games are so close," he said. "I know that [the last-minute defeats are] going to have an effect, I'm not going to lie to you, that has an effect, it's going to have an effect on the players. I get that in another game's time or two games, because we can no longer say there's a lot of games left, of course that's not the case, but certainly can we go to Chelsea, like we went to Arsenal and Everton and get a result or be in this game and try and get something? I believe we can, and if we do, like West Brom did, is our picture changed? Yes.

"It's my job to keep banging that drum and however I try and get that mindset to change in a player – certainly [if] my players [do think it's over] I need to try and change that mindset if that is the case, and I don't believe it is."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/29/west-ham-and-newcastle-interested-in-signing-southamptons-mario-lemina

WhiteJC

Newcastle contact Fulham loanee over £7m deal – West Ham also interested – The Guardian

Newcastle are interested in signing Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina this summer, according to The Guardian.

Ed Aarons reports that ourselves and West Ham have made contact with the player's entourage after being impressed by his performances during a loan spell at Fulham this season.

The Guardian claim that Scott Parker's side have an option to sign him on a permanent deal this summer, but will opt against signing the Gabon international if they suffer relegation.

Here's a snippet from the piece itself, which claims the 27-year-old will be available for £7m:

West Ham and Newcastle are interested in signing Mario Lemina from Southampton, with the Gabon international understood to be available for £7m.

The 27-year-old has made 17 Premier League starts so far this season during his loan spell with Fulham, who have an option to make his transfer permanent in the summer. But with Scott Parker's side seven points adrift of safety and just five matches remaining, they face a struggle to remain in the Premier League.

Lemina's impressive performances at Craven Cottage have alerted West Ham and Newcastle, with initial contact over a potential transfer having been made with his entourage.

It is understood that he is not part of manager Ralph Hasenhüttl's plans for next season and will be allowed to leave for around £7m.

Lemina hasn't played for Southampton since May 2019 after spending last season on loan with Galatasaray.

The former Juventus midfielder cost the Saints £15.4m – a then club record fee – almost four years ago, but doesn't appear to be in Ralph Hasenhüttl's plans.

An explosive midfielder on his day with plenty ability, however I would like to see us focus our attentions on Joe Willock if it's a case of one or the other this summer!

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/04/29/newcastle-make-contact-with-southampton-over-7m-deal-for-fulham-loanee-west-ham-also-keen-report/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker will 'keep banging that drum' to make Fulham players believe they can STILL avoid relegation despite sitting points adrift of safety ahead of their bid to win at Chelsea for the first time since 1979

Fulham face an uphill battle to avoid Premier League relegation this season
    They sit seven points from safety after conceding late on in their last two games
    Parker's men were dealt a cruel blow at the Emirates Stadium in their last outing
    Now the Cottagers are looking for their first top-flight win at Chelsea since 1979

Fulham boss Scott Parker insists he will 'keep banging that drum' in a bid to instil belief in his players that they can avoid relegation.

The Cottagers face an uphill battle to avoid the drop, sitting seven points adrift of safety having conceded in the final moments of their last two matches.

Parker's men were dealt a cruel blow at the Emirates in their last outing, having been on the verge of their first-ever away win over Arsenal until the Gunners scored a last-gasp equaliser.

That draw followed a last-minute home loss to Wolves in the match before, but Parker believes it is not over as his side prepare for the short trip to Chelsea on Saturday looking for a first win at Stamford Bridge since 1979.

'The reason I believe is because it's so close, as in the games are so close,' Parker said.

'I know that (the last-minute defeats are) going to have an effect, I'm not going to lie to you, that has an effect, it's going to have an effect on the players.

'I get that in another game's time or two games, because we can no longer say there's a lot of games left of course that's not the case, but certainly can we go to Chelsea, like we went to Arsenal and Everton and get a result or be in this game and try and get something?

'I believe we can, and if we do, like West Brom did, is our picture changed? Yes.

'It's my job to keep banging that drum and however I try and get that mindset to change in a player - certainly (if) my players (do think it's over) I need to try and change that mindset if that is the case, and I don't believe it is.

'Maybe there's a few (who think that), of course there is, because the disappointment of what's happened, not just over the last few games, but in parts of this season, some people are different, some people are a little bit weaker in those moments, some people will look at the more pessimistic side than the optimistic side.'

Fulham did not have a game last weekend, but both Burnley and Newcastle secured victories which increased the gap between the Cottagers and safety.

'It's been a frustrating (fortnight) certainly,' Parker admitted.

'The back end of it has not, but certainly the early part of the aftermath of the game at Arsenal and the way that ended really was a hard one to take for everyone and was a difficult one.

'Of course, like anything in this game and what we're in, the next opportunity then comes. Two weeks has been a long time, but a big challenge now when the next game comes, and we need to be ready for that.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9526665/Scott-Parker-banging-drum-make-Fulham-players-believe-avoid-relegation.html

WhiteJC

Leicester look to refresh key area with maturing star after productive spell

Leicester City are looking into the signing of Ademola Lookman from RB Leipzig, according to reports.

Lookman rose through the youth ranks at Charlton Athletic before joining Everton in 2017. He struggled to nail down a regular place at Goodison Park so left for German side Leipzig, where he had once been on loan, in 2019. It wasn't long before he was back in England, though.

The winger returned to his home country last summer, signing up for a season on loan at Fulham. Lookman has got his career back on track but looks likely to suffer relegation with the Cottagers.

Hence, his future will come into focus again come the end of the season. He previously found little room at Leipzig after his permanent move, so will have to consider his options.

The Bundesliga club have just appointed Jesse Marsch as their new manager, replacing Julian Nagelsmann. There is a chance that change may benefit Lookman, but it might not.

With that in mind, The Guardian suggest that his future could lie in the Premier League again next season.

It is claimed that Leicester are interested in the 23-year-old and could try to sign him.

The Foxes allowed Demarai Gray to leave for Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen in January. Furthermore, Leicester are also expected to pass up their option to buy Cengiz Under after his loan from Roma.

Therefore, they need to replenish their options out wide, and Lookman could provide them with what they need.

The former England under-21 international is at a crucial stage of his development. Having got a full season of top-flight action under his belt, he will be eager for more.

Lookman has contributed four goals and four assists from 29 appearances in the Premier League for Fulham this season.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/leicester-ademola-lookman-transfer-interest-rb-leipzig

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Royal Blood drummer Ben Thatcher

Liverpool have left themselves a lot of work to do to secure a top-four spot but can they kickstart their hopes of Champions League qualification at Old Trafford on Sunday?

"Reds boss Jurgen Klopp said after last week's draw with Newcastle that the way they are playing at the moment, they don't deserve to be in the Champions League," BBC Sport expert Mark Lawrenson said.

"For me, he was basically saying 'nah, this isn't happening'."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 Premier League matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week's guest is drummer Ben Thatcher from rock band Royal Blood, whose new album Typhoons is out this week.

Thatcher is a Brighton fan, who is hopeful his side have done enough to secure their top-flight status this season.

He told BBC Sport: "We are hanging in there!

"It is difficult to sum our season up. Points-wise it has been frustrating for us, but I also think under Graham Potter we have been playing the best football that I have ever seen us play.

"We obviously need more goals to go with that, because we so rarely manage more than one a game - it's only happened eight times in 33 league games, and it means we never really finish games off and all our good play does not get a reward.

"We've only gone two goals ahead in two of those matches - against Newcastle home and away, and it's a nice feeling being 2-0 up. We just haven't had it very often.

"But what also hasn't helped is that we have had some terrible results against the teams in the bottom three - we haven't beaten any of them home or away, which is abysmal really.

"It has been a strange season in lots of ways, though. We've been on the wrong end of two things that I've never seen happen in football before.

"Firstly there was a penalty awarded after the full-time whistle had been blown, when we lost to Manchester United, which was the right call but astonishing to see.

"And then the craziest one for me was Lewis Dunk's free-kick in our defeat by West Brom, where the referee allowed it, disallowed it, and then ruled it out for good.

"But we probably didn't deserve to get anything from that game because we also missed two penalties as well. There was a lot to take in there!"

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Chelsea v Fulham (17:30 BST)

Chelsea got a good result against Real Madrid on Tuesday but they could have done even better than a draw, and the Blues will have to be very careful in the second leg of that Champions League semi-final next week.

This game should be a lot more straightforward for Thomas Tuchel's side, who are trying to secure a top-four finish too.

Fulham did not play last weekend, but they are bottom of the Premier League's form table with just one point from their past five matches, and it is going to take something very special for them to stay up now. I don't see it happening.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Ben's prediction: We need Fulham to lose this one. 2-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56881671

WhiteJC

Parker admits his Fulham future is unclear

Scott Parker admits he has no idea whether he will still be at Fulham next season.

Relegation from the Premier League for the second time in three seasons is staring the club and head coach in the face, with only five games left and something of a minor miracle needed to make up a seven-point gap.

Parker has been in charge since February 2019 when he stepped up to take over from Claudio Ranieri as relegation was all but guaranteed.

But he oversaw the club's bounce back the first time of asking via the Championship play-offs last May.

Now, there inevitable question marks over his future.

"I can't control what other people are thinking or the decisions they make," he said.

"There are still games we can win and whether or not the football club is going to stick with me is something I can't control."

Parker is still hoping he gets that bit of luck so far denied him at crucial moments in the season as he gears up to face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday evening.

"I still believe we can do it," he said.

"I know you can easily counter that argument by saying 'Yeah, but you've only won five games all season so to win four out of five is a big ask'.

"But when you look at great escapes, or teams who have done amazingly well to stay up, if you go back five or six weeks, you'll find that absolutely nobody gave them a chance.

"That's us now – that's the position we're in. I know there are people saying we've got no chance, but I hope there are people sitting there next month admitting they were wrong."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-admits-his-fulham-future-is-unclear

WhiteJC

Fulham's Cairney could play again this season

Tom Cairney has an outside chance of playing before the end of the season.

The Fulham captain has not featured since December as he bids to overcome a knee injury he initially suffered in August.

But Scott Parker believes this week's news on the midfielder has been the best for some time.

The head coach revealed this has been an "up week" for Cairney.

"He's had a week's training and so far, fingers crossed, he looks OK," Parker said.

"I think this is very different to what his up weeks have been before. His up weeks have always come with a bit of a negative.

"Certainly, this week has been more positive than others when he's been OK. He's been tolerant (of the workload) – we've built it up and he's been fine with it.

"So we're hoping he'll be involved in some way between now and the end of the season. This weekend is a bit early, but it's looking promising".

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulhams-cairney-could-play-again-this-season

WhiteJC

Hugo Rodallega is a better striker at 35 than he was at 25

Hugo Rodallega enjoyed mixed success in England. At his best, he was scoring screamers for a rollicking Wigan Athletic side. At his worst, on the sinking ship of Rene Meulensteen's Fulham, he looked wasteful and sulky.

Come to think of it, that 'best' was a very long time ago. Rodallega, signed by Wigan for £4.5 million in January 2009, was at his Premier League peak during the 2009–10 and 2010–11 seasons, when his Wigan team-mates included dinosaurs like Chris Kirkland, Titus Bramble and Mario Melchiot.

The man nicknamed 'Hugol' scored 19 goals over those two campaigns, making him popular in Wigan and, more excitingly, making Wigan popular in Colombia.

"Wigan have become very popular in Colombia because I'm playing here and all the matches are shown on TV," Rodallega said in 2010. "People walk around in Wigan shirts; I have absolutely no idea where they get them from."

However, after turning 26, the striker suffered a massive drop in form, netting just seven times in three years of Premier League football between 2011 and 2014. Truth be told, he looked off the pace by 29.

Given that he turns 36 in July, you might be surprised to hear that Rodallega is currently scoring a ton of goals for Turkish minnows Denizlispor — even though they're bottom of the Super Lig, managed by their seventh coach in two years.

He might be older than Charles N'Zogbia (who retired five years ago), but Wigan cult hero Rodallega is somehow, in 2021, playing better than ever.

https://www.planetfootball.com/trending/hugo-rodallega-is-better-at-35-than-he-was-at-25/