Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 05/05/21...

Started by WhiteJC, May 05, 2021, 12:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jack and Loz Not at the Cottage - Blog 177

Date: 1st May 2021

Opposition: C*****a

Score: 2-0

MOTM: Antonee Robinson stood out for his endless running, unconquerable spirit and never-say-die attitude. He is going to be awesome in the Championship

Snacks: Loz - almond cake; Jack - spicy BBQ Pringles

Scott Parker talks a lot about fine margins. Whilst this is getting tedious it is appropriate. Over the course of 34 games, Fulham have fallen short many times, but only marginally. The match against our old rivals is the latest example of that. We were only marginally worse than a "Super League" team in the first half but because the deficit in quality was evident at both ends of the pitch, we ended up being 1-0 down at half time despite lots of corners, plenty of possession, several shots on target and a spirited performance.

Fulham started ambitiously, one might almost say, aggressively. Unlike in several recent Must Win Games where we looked like we wanted to draw, the players were fired up and flinging themselves into the fray. There were a series of early corners and early shots including an excellent effort from Antonee. But they all came to nothing of course, while at the other end, C*****a scored an almost effortless goal.

This didn't put the Fulham players off their collective strides and they continued much as they had started with long periods of possession (which led to nothing) and plenty of shots, some of which were much better than others, but both Lookman and Aina were pipped at the post by C*****a's keeper who, Frankly, kept the Blues in the game in the first half.

But therein lies the truth of the matter: C*****a are better at shooting, passing and defending. Only marginally. But that's all it takes.

We hoped that the second half would be different but in fact it was downhill all the way from kickoff. If C*****a's first goal was effortless, their second was men against boys stuff leaving all the Fulham defenders dazed and confused.

Let the record show that the players kept on fighting. Some of the crosses fired into the box, particularly from Aina, could have been lethal.....but there was no one to meet them. Some of the resulting corners could have been dangerous.....but they didn't clear the first man.

The players were tiring but for reasons we don't understand Scott didn't bring on reinforcements until the 77th minute. And even then, whilst it was great to give Carvalho his debut (he's going to be awesome in the Championship as well) he's not Serbia's all time top goal scorer is he???

Eventually, Mitro was brought on to replace the flagging Maja. Once again, we didn't see them play together. Once again, Mitro did little but how much can anyone do in 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there? In other words, the Mitro mystery continues.

The long drawn-out agony of of this relegation continues too, and the recriminations and the speculation. The end is in sight, and it can't come soon enough.

Social Media Boycott

We joined the Club and other fans in not posting on our Twitter account over the weekend to show our support for football players, others within the game and the many people outside of it who suffer racist abuse online while social media platforms do little to tackle the issue.

We appreciate that muting our Twitter feed for the weekend was a small gesture in the face of a massive problem but this is something we feel very strongly about and we hope that the combined silence of the football community sent a loud message to the giants who control social media.

We therefore didn't look at Twitter either before, during or after the match. For anyone who has never tried this, let us assure them it leads to a much less stressful weekend.

Random musings:

- what a relief not to have to watch RLC "play football" for our club

- no doubt Thomas Tuchel was thinking the same

- C*****a's claim to be the "Pride of West London" was even more dubious than usual given that they couldn't even make the words on their banner fit around their seats

- for a player supposedly in the shop window, Frank made a lot of mistakes....

- if the unfortunately named Mason Mount was an actor he would obviously be in Blue movies

- not snuff movies though

The first relegation felt devastating and unexpected even though we should have seen it coming. Two years ago, going down felt disappointing even though it was deserved. This time, although, briefly, we gave ourselves a better chance of staying up than ever before, the fine margins have stretched into a gulf to safety. When it finally happens, this relegation will feel like a relief. Let's get back to the Championship and regroup, reorganise and win some matches.

For now, we are Fulham fans and must bear the ongoing misery with our customary fortitude. We must turn our backs to the storm and endure.

https://werdsmith.com/p/EDuXpbc4ekvJA

WhiteJC

abio: Hard Work Rewarded

A big positive to come from Fulham's clash with Chelsea on Saturday was a Premier League debut for Academy graduate Fabio Carvalho.

The 18-year-old had already sampled First Team action in the Carabao and FA Cups this season, but was given a maiden run out on the biggest stage when he replaced Ivan Cavaleiro at the weekend.

"I feel like every little boy grows up dreaming of being a footballer, and to play in the best league in the world is just a dream come true," Carvalho told fulhamfc.com.

"Even though the result didn't go our way, I feel like the lads put in a good shift. We just have to put it right next game.

"I've been working hard every day, training with the First Team every day. I've played a few games already and tried to be the best player I can be, and I think that my hard work has been recognised by the First Team staff.

"I was pleased to get my chance, and hopefully there will be many more to come."

Scott Parker has not been afraid to blood the Club's youngsters, with Carvalho's Academy teammates Sylvester Jasper and Jay Stansfield both getting game time during his tenure.

"It's been great growing up with them," Carvalho said. "Syl and Jay are great players who played in the Championship and the First Team last year.

"My brother Syl, he's a very close friend to me, my best friend basically, so me and him getting chances is very good to see."

With four fixtures remaining, has Carvalho's appetite been whet for some more Premier League opportunities?

"100 per cent, that's the goal, to get as many minutes as I can, come on and try to impact the games, and we'll see what happens."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/Fabio-Hard-Work-Rewarded/

WhiteJC

Newcastle, Fulham and Rangers eye defender as pundit labels Magpies as 'already on their holidays'
Newcastle United lost 2-0 against Arsenal in the Premier League last weekend.

Indeed, Steve Bruce's Magpies face FA Cup finalists Leicester City in the top-flight next time out with the Tynesiders looking to bounce back to winning ways.

Here, though, we take a look at all of the latest Newcastle United-related news and gossip from around the web:

Ex-Sunderland boss and current Sky Sports pundit Roy Keane has criticised Newcastle United's performance against Arsenal.

Indeed, Keane stated that Martin Dubravka should've saved Mohammed Elneny's strike that gave Arsenal.

"You say it's a good finish, he's obviously hit the target.

"It's good movement from Bellerin, we know he's capable of doing this.

"Elneny, you think 'hit the target', but for me, the keeper has to save this.

"To me, he's got a good hand to it, he has to save it, not good enough, but Arsenal have been the better team and deserve to be in front."

Keane then suggested that the Magpies need to step it up in the final weeks of the season.

"Obviously, they've had a decent run recently, but there was no intensity to their play like they were already on their holidays.

"It was an easy afternoon for Arsenal, but Newcastle certainly never turned up.

"That is going to be a problem for Brucey now in the last few weeks to get them going again and say they still want a couple of victories."

Newcastle United have been linked with a move for Danilho Doekhi.

The 22-year-old Dutch centre-back has done well for Vitesse Arnhem this campaign.

However, his performances have also reportedly caught the attention of Italian club Atalanta.

Fulham and Rangers were also said to be interested earlier this season.

A report in Telegraaf states that there is 'serious interest' from Newcastle United.

Doekhi has one year left on his current contract with the Dutch outfit with Vitesse will be under pressure to cash in on him unless he signs an extension or risk losing him for nothing.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/newcastle-fulham-and-rangers-eye-defender-as-pundit-labels-magpies-as-already-on-their-holidays-3223230

WhiteJC

It's time to grade our loanees
Jack Stroudley dissects the impact our loan signings have had throughout the season.

As another Premier League season comes to a close, the prospect of relegation once again seems to be a damming reality. The recruitment process has once more been dubious and questioned by many of the Fulham fanbase.

Despite our Director of Football previously stating "I can't be in the business of developing other people's players when they don't have time to play them", we've once again seen a heavy reliance on the loan market to fill our squad out with the quality needed to attempt to stay in the Premier League.

So overall, how have each of these players done? Has each individual loan been a success or a failure, I am going to be grading each loan signing based on their impact at the club and how they've benefited the team.

Alphonse Areola
When we signed Areola in September there was a collective level of concern on how this would affect Marek Rodak, who'd been phenomenal during our Championship campaign, and many believed he'd earned an opportunity at the top level of English football. However, barring the odd mistake, Areola quickly silenced all doubters. 

Marek was unfortunately dropped to the bench after one game. While we'll never know whether he could have made the step up, his ability in the Championship suggests he would have been a valuable keeper for us this season if given the time.

Alphonse has shown why he has had spells at Real Madrid as well as his current parent club PSG. His shot stopping is second to none and I believe next season he will get a permanent move to the Premier League as he seems settled in England.

Despite making occasional mistakes throughout the season, it is evident that Areola has gained us more points than he's cost us.

Grade: A-

Joachim Andersen
When the great Dane signed for Fulham on the October deadline day, I don't think many fans expected Joachim Andersen to be as remarkable as he has been. Despite only being 24, he's been a calming, reassuring leader in defence, leading the reinvigoration of a sloppy, mistake-ridden backline into a cohesive and sturdy defensive unit.

According to whoscored.com, Joachim Andersen's busy defensive leadership has resulted in him being in the top 5 centre backs for clearances per game in the Premier League this season, scoring an average of 5.1 per game. His consistent performances and willingness to drive the team to do better has drawn keen interest from more lucrative clubs in England with the likes of Tottenham and Manchester United allegedly keen to make the Danish international a permanent signing in the summer.

Overall, despite the season looking very bleak for Fulham, the loan signing of Joachim Andersen has been a success and has been dubbed by some fans to be the best centre-back we've had at the club since Brede Hangeland.

Grade: A

Ola Aina
After his dismal debut against Brentford in the Carabao Cup, the signing of Ola Aina looked like another poor piece of recruitment. But as the season's gone on I've been relatively impressed with Ola. His main attribute for Scott is his versatility, with his ability to operate anywhere across the backline at a good level.

He has shown a competency to bring the ball forward from wing-back/full-back when necessary as well as having the defensive capabilities to slot into a back five predominately alongside Andersen and Tosin. While it hasn't been plain sailing for Ola – and alongside the majority of this Fulham team he's made mistakes throughout the season – I think overall he's given a good account for himself in a black and white shirt.

Grade: B-

Mario Lemina
Similarly to Aina against Brentford, when Lemina came on away at Leeds and completely slowed the game down while we was in the ascendancy I wasn't too optimistic for Mario. However throughout the season he has shown promising performances and given us magical moments (most notably at Anfield). There's no doubt that Mario Lemina cares about Fulham, he cares about the process and wants to keep Fulham in the Premier League no matter how bleak that currently seems.

Mario's ability to play as either the deeper midfielder in the team or in a more box-to-box role has offered Scott more freedom when selecting the Gabonese international, Mario's versatility has enabled him to feature on a frequent basis throughout the season as both a regular starter or an impact sub.

My only issue with Mario has been a lack of consistency, it's tricky to pick out a point in the season where he has continuously delivered the top level performances we have needed in order to give us a better chance of survival. He's clearly a decent caliber Premier League talent with West Ham and Newcastle both interested in signing him next season, he's done ok for Fulham.

Grade: C

Ruben Loftus-Cheek
I'll keep this one short and sweet as there's been a whole article recently analysing Ruben Loftus-Cheek's season for us. But I think it's safe to say he hasn't reached the heights we all expected when we signed him on deadline day. It was apparent very quickly that we needed some more attacking impetus in the side and RLC was meant to be the one to drive us forward and steer us to safety.

Throughout the season I've struggled to work out what his main attributes are. He can drive the ball fairly well to the edge of the box, but then lacks the correct decision making to create anything menacing from the attack, his mentality to help the team defensively lacks as well and I personally can't see him being near Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea team next season.

Grade: E

Ademola Lookman
Lookman joined Fulham at potentially the worst time. We'd just lost 3-0 to Aston Villa and the club seemed to be in disarray. If you look back at the reaction to his announcement tweet it's bleak viewing. Little did we all know he would be our brightest creative spark all season. His ability to take on a man, drive with the ball, deliver a good cross and be composed in-front of goal is something we was in desperate need of.

However as the season progressed we've become more and more one dimensional, with the vast majority of play coming through Ademola, which has resulted in opposing players marking him more vigorously. This ultimately reduces his contribution to the team; he's only got two goal contributions since February.

Ademola is clearly more skilled than our other attacking options. If we had more attacking players of Ademola's caliber, maybe we'd have seen him be more expressive on a regular basis in the second half of the season.

Grade: B-

Josh Maja
I'll be honest, when Josh Maja signed on deadline day in January, I wasn't too optimistic. It seemed evident he was a young striker trying to prove his worth at a struggling Premier League club in order to force a move to a bigger club in the summer. His loan tenure started spectacularly, as he picked up both goals at Goodison Park in a 2-0 victory over Everton. Sadly, since then he hasn't been able to maintain that level of performance. He's shown glimpes of promise with his ability to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, but it's not been enough.

As well as this, he's also been quite unlucky not to get a few more goals under his belt. His goal was disallowed against Tottenham for a ridiculous handball on Mario Lemina, as well as missing glaring opportunities against Crystal Palace and Leeds. Overall I think he's a promising young player who could benefit us if we managed to keep hold of him for next season. I don't think that will happen though.

Grade: C-

The future
As the season draws to a close, it's becoming harder to label it anything other than a failure. The dependence on the loan market over the last few years has not been a welcome sight, with players coming in and out far too quickly to build a stable side for the long term.

Next season, instead of signing another right-back on loan, why not try Stevie Sess? Instead of signing wingers or attacking midfielders on loan, put some trust in Jasper and Carvalho? We've got to find a way of using the loan system to our advantage, while building from the inside, so we can grow and develop as a football club.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-05-04-its-time-to-grade-our-loanees/

WhiteJC

QPR star tipped to play at the 'highest level' amid Fulham, Burnley links

Speaking to the Daily Mail (quotes via Not The Old Firm), QPR boss Mark Warburton has said striker Lyndon Dykes can go on to play at "the highest level".

Despite going through some difficult patches in front of goal, Dykes has managed a decent 12 goals this season. He has also chipped in with four assists, playing 42 times across all competitions.

The QPR man has been at his dangerous best in recent months, managing seven goals and three assists in his last eight games.

Dykes and QPR finish the campaign against Luton Town at the weekend and will be looking to continue in their strong vein of form.

Having starred in their recent run, Dykes has been attracting interest from elsewhere. Fulham, West Brom and Burnley have all been linked with a summer swoop for the Rs star.

Now, he has received high praise from manager Mark Warburton amid the top-flight interest.

As quoted by Not The Old Firm, Warburton tipped Dykes to play at the "highest level". Here's what he had to say:

"For me, there is no doubt about what Lyndon can achieve. He can go and play at a much higher level — at the highest level.

"He is still a young guy catching up with the academy education he never had. But he has shown the outstanding work ethic that will get him there.

"He has had a lot to deal with in terms of development, barren patches and criticism."

Dykes will have the stage to further prove his ability this summer. He looks set to be part of Steve Clarke's Scotland squad for the upcoming European Championships.

After making his debut in September last year, the 25-year-old has gone on to play 10 times for his national side. In the process, Dykes has managed two goals, also providing one assist.

https://the72.co.uk/234151/qpr-star-tipped-to-play-at-the-highest-level-amid-fulham-burnley-links/

WhiteJC

Burnley, Newcastle United, Fulham and the Premier League relegation odds ahead of key weekend

Burnley are nine points clear of the Premier League relegation zone with fur games remaining

Burnley's defeat to West Ham on Monday night won't hamper their Premier League survival hopes, according to the bookies.

The Clarets missed the chance to virtually guarantee their top flight status by losing 2-1 to David Moyes' side having led 1-0.

The defeat means Sean Dyche's side are nine points clear of Fulham ahead of the two teams meeting at Craven Cottage next week.

Burnley are level on points with Newcastle United, who visit Scott Parker's side on the final day, and it is the Magpies who are considered most at risk should Fulham mount an improbable late resurgence.

West Brom are not mathematically down but will be relegated to the Championship if they lose at Arsenal on Sunday regardless of other results.

Premier League relegation odds
Fulham 1/50

Newcastle United 20/1

Burnley 33/1

Southampton 250/1

Odds according to thepools.com

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-fulham-newcastle-united-relegation-20522766

WhiteJC

Referee confirmed for Fulham game

The Premier League have confirmed that the our game against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Monday 10th May will be refereed by David Coote whose most recent Burnley game was the home defeat  against Chelsea in October. Robert Jones will be fourth official with Peter Bankes on VAR duty.

There will be more information ahead of the game.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/referee-confirmed-for-fulham-game-5

WhiteJC

Robinson shares verdict on Parker landing Tottenham job after 'huge' update

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy would be taking a "huge risk" if he appointed Fulham manager Scott Parker, according to Paul Robinson.

The former White Hart Lane number one, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, heaped praise on Parker, 40, but claimed there is a "massive difference" between managing Spurs and Fulham.

This site revealed last week that the Cottagers manager is emerging as a leading contender to succeed Jose Mourinho in north London.

Parker, who made 63 appearances for the Lilywhites as a player, has two years remaining on his contract at Craven Cottage.

Robinson fears Parker is not the right man for the job if Spurs want overnight success.

"It would be a big gamble," he told Football Insider's Dylan Childs.

"The way that the club, the training ground and the stadium have developed there is a need for Champions League football.

"Scott Parker has done an excellent job at Fulham but they are getting relegated. He did a great job getting them out of the Championship but there is a massive difference between managing Fulham and managing Tottenham.

"Scott is a bright, young, intelligent manager but if he is given the Spurs job it would be a huge risk on Daniel Levy's part. It could be a risk that pays off though.

"Levy employed Jose Mourinho because he wanted overnight success. If you employ a manager like Parker you would be looking at a more long-term plan. Saying that, there was no success under Mourinho."

https://www.footballinsider247.com/robinson-shares-verdict-on-parker-landing-tottenham-job-after-huge-update/

WhiteJC

Report: Newcastle to rival Rangers and Fulham for Danilho Doekhi

Newcastle United are being linked with a move for Vitesse performer Danilho Doekhi, according to De Telegraaf.

The 22-year-old is a centre-back and he's made 34 appearances during the 2020/21 campaign, with Vitesse in a decent position.

Doekhi came through the youth academy at Excelsior before moving onto Ajax where he spent two years.

Since checking in at his current club, he's held down a regular place and has 91 appearances to his name.

Newcastle could find themselves on the lookout for a new central defender during the summer transfer window.

Federico Fernandez will be out of contract, whilst doubts over been cast over the form of Jamaal Lascelles during 2020/21.

Some competition would be healthy and Doekhi looks like an exciting addition.

At 22 he would maintain some sell-on value, whilst his form this season in Eredivisie has been a joy to behold at times.

The report claims that Norwich, Fulham and Rangers are also vying for his signature during the summer.

Doekhi will see his contract expire in 2022 and as a result, potential suitors could get themselves a bargain when it comes to the defender.

He cost Vitesse just £200,000 when he signed from Ajax three years ago and the Dutch outfit still stand to make a profit on their enforcer.

Would Doekhi be welcome at Newcastle?

Given the Magpies' struggles at the back this season, anyone coming into thee defensive ranks would be most welcomed.

Lascelles has struggled for consistency, whilst there are no guarantees that Fernandez will be at the club next season.

Ciaran Clark has done a decent job when called upon but it's not unfair to say that Newcastle need better quality.

Doekhi could prove a decent piece of business and he's certainly one for Newcastle to look at.

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/news/report-newcastle-to-rival-rangers-and-fulham-for-danilho-doekhi/

WhiteJC

U23: West Bromwich Albion Preview

Fulham Under-23s welcome West Bromwich Albion to Craven Cottage on Wednesday for their final game of the season (KO 7pm).

Form

Fulham:

Fulham produced an excellent performance against title winners Leeds United last week, earning a point after a 1-1 draw. Connor McAvoy's header got the young Whites back on level terms but, despite creating numerous chances, they weren't able to take all three points.

West Brom:

The young Baggies have picked up four points from their last three games, but sit bottom of the league table. They recorded a 3-2 away win over Sunderland earlier in the month and will look to remove themselves from the bottom spot.

Last Time Out

Fulham recorded a narrow 2-1 win in their second game of the season back in September. A Jean-Pierre Tiehi header and Terry Ablade long shot proved enough for all three points.

Player Thoughts

Adrion Pajaziti is looking forward to playing at the Cottage on Wednesday evening.

"It's always a great feeling to play at Craven Cottage. It's such a nice surface and being under the lights gives it an extra special feel for sure.

"Our form has been quite up and down this year, so it would be good for us to end on a win," Pajaziti added.

The midfielder has played 14 games under Mark Pembridge and Colin Omogbehin and reflects on what's been a great year for him.

"I've really enjoyed the step up this season. I've pretty much been with the 23s for most the year and have loved performing well and improving different aspects of my game against older players."

FFCtv

This game will be available to stream via FFCtv, with commentary provided by Jamie Reid.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/U23-West-Bromwich-Albion-Preview/