watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Simply put, I blame the Head Coach for our certain relegation

Started by bill taylors apprentice, May 07, 2021, 07:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

Despite the late promotion and the time it took for many many re enforcements to arrive the HC did a very good job of making us hard to beat after a disastrous start.

He is also due much credit for creating a strong bond in the team and an excellent work ethic among all the mainly new players.

Unfortunately, once the team had achieved respectable performances and started to win some points he failed to recognise that continuing in this vain ( which he surely has) was never going to win enough points.

Being hard to beat but continuing to not win many games was a recipe for relegation but he failed to try and win more games.

Losing more games was likely to happen playing a more positive style but I believe a win here and there rather than the predictable negative tactics and team work that gave us too many draws as well as defeats has cost us dear.

The Everton game proved it could be done but the continuous draws or defeats by 1 goal have been our undoing, even a couple more wins would have kept us in the fight.

And the fault lies with Parker and how he sent his team out to play again and again!

RaySmith

How many points have we lost through  terrible ref/VAR decisions?

Where are the players to score prolifically, or at all, up front? but we  create a lot of chances in most games.

The manager got us up, with a poor squad, that need urgent  addition  in defence after coming up, to save us getting a record low points, with little time to do this in the turn  round.
Unfortunately, we didn't get  necessary  additions  in other positions.

Nero

If the manager actually tried to win games against the other bottom 6 teams we might be in a better position, we may create chances but there normally 5 defenders in front of the player shooting due to the style of play 

Blawarmy

Well TK, unless I'm mistaken, is in charge of SP and the players, so if we go down again is it not his responsibility?

Andy S

Why are we always looking for someone to blame? The margin for survival and failure is very small and there are so many factors that come into it including the weather COVID luck  and lots more. So let's forget blaming individuals and just take it on the chin and be better prepared next time

LittleErn

Quote from: Andy S on May 07, 2021, 08:18:50 PM
Why are we always looking for someone to blame? The margin for survival and failure is very small and there are so many factors that come into it including the weather COVID luck  and lots more. So let's forget blaming individuals and just take it on the chin and be better prepared next time

But if no-one knows where the blame lies, how do we become better prepared next time? I think the first three posts on here are a good analysis of the situation. TK (or FFP) has failed to give SP the tools to do the job, but equally his negative approach has played a part. Both need to be addressed if we are to be better prepared next time (if there is a next time).

Lusofulham

If you go to the restaurant and the food is bad, do you blame the chef or the supplier for poor ingredients? Ultimately Parker is the one who is serving us that boring football and manager usually pay the price for poor performance, just ask Billic, Mourinho,  fat Lampard etc....

ALG01

What a load of nonsense.
Parker could gave been more adventuroys but the DoF is 100% to blame for creating once again a poor squad.
When khan decided to not buy forwards in january we were doomed.
Lets3 get a new coach and see it all repeat until daddy's  boy is removed.

Blawarmy

All I know is that this is now 2 promotions royally fcuked up and 1 influential person has been around for both. 

Whitestone

Its far too simplistic to throw all the blame for this season at Parker. There are many other factors to be considered. E.g. promotion via the play-offs with an inferior squad that had no chance of competing in the Premier League, a very short turnaround, late signings, signings that haven't worked out etc. I understand why the manager has become a target for some supporters given the performances and results. That's  normal, but being realistic survival this season was always a big ask with our squad.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Whitestone on May 07, 2021, 11:44:43 PM
Its far too simplistic to throw all the blame for this season at Parker. There are many other factors to be considered. E.g. promotion via the play-offs with an inferior squad that had no chance of competing in the Premier League, a very short turnaround, late signings, signings that haven't worked out etc. I understand why the manager has become a target for some supporters given the performances and results. That's  normal, but being realistic survival this season was always a big ask with our squad.

You're right, the blame has to be shared between TK, SP & the players. 

I Ronic

Quote from: LittleErn on May 07, 2021, 08:35:48 PM
Quote from: Andy S on May 07, 2021, 08:18:50 PM

But if no-one knows where the blame lies, how do we become better prepared next time? I think the first three posts on here are a good analysis of the situation. TK (or FFP) has failed to give SP the tools to do the job, but equally his negative approach has played a part. Both need to be addressed if we are to be better prepared next time (if there is a next time).

I agree with AndyS  100%
As to where the blame lies and how, more importantly that's to be fixed, we're not in the best position to judge that. There's the obvious. Late additions to the squad. Getting those players up to speed etc but none of us know what discussions have gone on between say the Chairman and.SP. What players we didn't  and a whole raft of other information needed to make a correct and informed decision.

toshes mate

I have a loosely cobbled together theory in my head that Parker doesn't know how to differentiate between home and away tactics, and he has not had such an ability in all his coaching days which largely rules out Covid related mitigation.  His one size fits all games is based upon him seeing success and believing the strategy involved will suffice to carry 'momentum' forward.  That exagerrates the utility of momentum (a better word might be confidence) since it depends upon teamwork among players who know and trust each other and Parker has both freely stuck with, rotated and changed personnel all to negative effect.  He also doesn't give change a chance to impact or sometimes just goes right back to where he came from which equals resignation and is highly dangerous.   

Does he analyse games?  Does he understand dyamics?  Does he have players in the first team who, like Denis Odoi, have a never say die attitude?  There is evidence of many negatives and positives in the answer which lead me to conclude Parker waives within and that he is not single minded about the things he needs to be single mnded about, and, conversely, is stubborn about things that he really needs to adapt or change.  I'd call it an inability to freshen up and one of his chief victims is Mitrovic.  One of his obvious failures to fresh up is Cavaleiro, but one point a finger to at least a handful of others in the same boat.

Parker is a very average coach IMO, probably in the lower half of a league table at best, and I don't think he'll improve for some seasons.  He may still get lucky and I hope he does but that shouldn't let us believe he is better than he really is.     

rebel

Quote from: toshes mate on May 08, 2021, 07:40:12 AM
I have a loosely cobbled together theory in my head that Parker doesn't know how to differentiate between home and away tactics, and he has not had such an ability in all his coaching days which largely rules out Covid related mitigation.  His one size fits all games is based upon him seeing success and believing the strategy involved will suffice to carry 'momentum' forward.  That exagerrates the utility of momentum (a better word might be confidence) since it depends upon teamwork among players who know and trust each other and Parker has both freely stuck with, rotated and changed personnel all to negative effect.  He also doesn't give change a chance to impact or sometimes just goes right back to where he came from which equals resignation and is highly dangerous.   

Does he analyse games?  Does he understand dyamics?  Does he have players in the first team who, like Denis Odoi, have a never say die attitude?  There is evidence of many negatives and positives in the answer which lead me to conclude Parker waives within and that he is not single minded about the things he needs to be single mnded about, and, conversely, is stubborn about things that he really needs to adapt or change.  I'd call it an inability to freshen up and one of his chief victims is Mitrovic.  One of his obvious failures to fresh up is Cavaleiro, but one point a finger to at least a handful of others in the same boat.

Parker is a very average coach IMO, probably in the lower half of a league table at best, and I don't think he'll improve for some seasons.  He may still get lucky and I hope he does but that shouldn't let us believe he is better than he really is.     

Agree with what your saying. He has the ability to lose a match within the context of the match, I think he's thinking too much about his pre match plans, get's 'tunnel vision' on those and isn't focused on what's unfolding before him.

colinwhite

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 07, 2021, 07:29:37 PM
Despite the late promotion and the time it took for many many re enforcements to arrive the HC did a very good job of making us hard to beat after a disastrous start.

He is also due much credit for creating a strong bond in the team and an excellent work ethic among all the mainly new players.

Unfortunately, once the team had achieved respectable performances and started to win some points he failed to recognise that continuing in this vain ( which he surely has) was never going to win enough points.

Being hard to beat but continuing to not win many games was a recipe for relegation but he failed to try and win more games.

Losing more games was likely to happen playing a more positive style but I believe a win here and there rather than the predictable negative tactics and team work that gave us too many draws as well as defeats has cost us dear.

The Everton game proved it could be done but the continuous draws or defeats by 1 goal have been our undoing, even a couple more wins would have kept us in the fight.

And the fault lies with Parker and how he sent his team out to play again and again!

Agree with you Bill down to he "carried on in this vien ".  When it became clear that we neede more goals he tried to change it. We went 4 at the back (which compromised our defensive stabilty and press) and reintroduced Mitro . Unfortunately the offensive players Mitro,BDR, Lookman ,
RLC,cavaleiro and even Maja  didnt score the goals whilst still trying to keep us solid. I think if we had had at least one quality forward and creative player ,we would have been ok. Mitro doesnt suit the style of the team and thats not just down to Parker. Bennitez thought the same before him. He doesnt get in behind and cant press well enough from the front or run the channels .

People on here seem to think I am Parkers biggest fan . Im not and never have been. But so much rubbish has been written  about our HC who has done a decent job  by people that havent got a clue as to the extent of the preparation and work that takes place ,which is frankly sickening from supporters of the club, that it is hard to keep quiet.

cookieg

Although Mitro hasn't had the best of seasons to only get 8 minutes last week when we are 2 down is just ridiculous. Parker seems to think that something fantastic will happen without him having to do anything. He is too slow to make subs to affect a game. He is out thought by other managers, which may be down to him being a new manager, but he doesn't seem to learn.

TK may ultimately oversee recruitment but he isn't the only one responsible. We have the Talbots and I hope a scouting network and Parker tells us he has the final say. It is a collective failure not to have a squad more than worthy of staying up.

If Parker accepts how the club recruits then he has to get on with it and accept responsibility for our situation, if he doesn't he should go and tell the fans why he can't work under this process. Any manager coming in should then lay down rules as to how he is to manage, recruit and select his team.

Cumbrian White

Scott had around 27 games to take a team, not good enough in the Championship and clearly far from PL quality, integrate several high quality players, shore up the defence, make us solid and build confidence, he then had to add an attacking edge without weakening our defensive resolve. Oh, with no out and out striker as Mitro has been so far out of sorts and Maja arriving far far too late (as with all other signings).  Before someone says it's Scott's job to get Mitro back into form, if it were that easy, no player ever would be out of form for any club.

He had to do this with a squad of around 15 players.

The only mistake Scott has made is accepting this job in the first place. He has done a remarkable job with his hands tied behind his back. Any manager, working under these conditions is going to struggle. We have flogged our 14 or 15 players to exhaustion and yet we have no choice but to keep going with them.

We are at least 5 PL quality players short, the owners are clearly happy to forfeit points during the transfer window in order to save  money (albeit substantial money).

American owners have shown time and time again, with us and other clubs, they have still to grasp English football. Saying that, ours have backed the club impressively (financially) but I would suggest they contact whoever advised MAF, Keegan, Tigana and the players signed during that period, pay them handsomely and bring some stability to the club. 5 rebuilds in 5 seasons is unacceptable really and even if we stay up, we'll have to rebuild again as most of our loanees will be playing CL football next season.   

Keep Scott, back him properly, reap the rewards.

Whitestone

Quote from: Cumbrian White on May 08, 2021, 08:14:31 AM
Scott had around 27 games to take a team, not good enough in the Championship and clearly far from PL quality, integrate several high quality players, shore up the defence, make us solid and build confidence, he then had to add an attacking edge without weakening our defensive resolve. Oh, with no out and out striker as Mitro has been so far out of sorts and Maja arriving far far too late (as with all other signings).  Before someone says it's Scott's job to get Mitro back into form, if it were that easy, no player ever would be out of form for any club.

He had to do this with a squad of around 15 players.

The only mistake Scott has made is accepting this job in the first place. He has done a remarkable job with his hands tied behind his back. Any manager, working under these conditions is going to struggle. We have flogged our 14 or 15 players to exhaustion and yet we have no choice but to keep going with them.

We are at least 5 PL quality players short, the owners are clearly happy to forfeit points during the transfer window in order to save  money (albeit substantial money).

American owners have shown time and time again, with us and other clubs, they have still to grasp English football. Saying that, ours have backed the club impressively (financially) but I would suggest they contact whoever advised MAF, Keegan, Tigana and the players signed during that period, pay them handsomely and bring some stability to the club. 5 rebuilds in 5 seasons is unacceptable really and even if we stay up, we'll have to rebuild again as most of our loanees will be playing CL football next season.   

Keep Scott, back him properly, reap the rewards.

Agree.

clarkey

Parker is 100% to blame for our situation.

If you need evidence look at how he managed last year in the Championships with the league's best squad. He was ultra cautious and poor with selection and played ghastly football. He does not like Cairney, ruined Mitro by robbing him of his confidence and dispensed with Kebano, StefJo and AK47 all of whom could have helped this season more than the abhorrent Cav and RLC.

For two months now we have played negative defensive selections and set ups, when we should have been aiming to win games against our closest rivals.We have had absolutely no creative free kicks, innovative corners(or even accurate ones)  or other dead balls, and a complete lack of tactical variance or game changing subbing.

By making the defence strong through playing effectively 7 at the back Parker enabled a series of draws and a couple of wins over three months, but once the pack were in sight we just were not flexible to become a more offensive side. He ought to have tried playing with at least two out and out strikers: look at Newcastle last night they had
a forward line of three with two creative attacking midfielders. Have we ever started Maja and Mitro with Bobby and Lookman in support ? Not once.He played Bobby as a wing back and Cav as a striker-where on earth did he think the goals were going to come from ?

If he does not try 442 on Monday then we know we have got a true dud for a manager. But I bet he still selects Cav, the non scoring striker, maybe RLC,and either Mitro or Maja on their own. Then will sub one for the other. It just ain't gonna work. We needed wins not draws or defeats.

Examine the other teams around us and their attacking options, they pick more offensive teams.This is not rocket science. Face it Scott is not the brightest.

bill taylors apprentice

You may of noticed in my OP I didn't call for his head and I did offer some praise.
I am also aware of the circumstances we were in at the start of the season e.g. late play off promotion, lack of PL quality players at the start of this season and continued lack of quality in attack and that includes attacking midfielders.

My beef is that having built an excellent team spirit among the many newcomers and made us look a decent team in most areas we still looked poor too often in the last third but more due to our approach to games than the lack of quality.

Our best results and performances away against Leicester, Everton & Liverpool were all games we played without fear but these were games where the we expected to lose and we showed we could play a more expansive game without the limiting tactics but too often failed to take this into other games.
Having a bad game now and again will happen but setting up to sneak a possible win every game was mistake.

I don't buy the idea we made lots of chances but failed to convert them, we've had a lot of the ball but we have struggled all season to create enough clear chances due to the constant safety first style of not committing players forward (at the right times) dynamic movement and delivering the ball into areas of opportunity early enough.

Of course Parker could have been dealt a better hand before the season started in all sorts of ways but its just more of how he set the team up last season with these tactics it was only the glorious play offs that hid the fact he almost blew it.

For me, once the team gained some results and improved performances around December the HC should have been targeting games we could win and approach them in a more positive way.
We were never going to get out of the hole we were in by hoping other teams would lose and we could draw our way out of the bottom 3.

I accept in the big picture Parker is not the main problem of how we got to this stage but I believe his negative tactics cost us points in enough games to have won (and lost) a few more games and given us a better chance of survival.

Its shame because I see a lot I like about our HC but I fear he doesn't have the vision to see how to create a winning team.