Man Utd
West Ham
0-1
Everton
Arsenal 
3-1
West Brom

WhiteJC

Scott Parker unfazed over speculation about his future as he tries to pull off the great escape with Fulham... insisting 'trying to understand the noise and what is being said would drive you mad'

The Fulham manager will leave talks with the owners until the end of the season
    Scott Parker has been linked with a return to former club Tottenham as manager
    The Cottagers are nine points from safety with just four games remaining
    Fulham must beat Burnley on Monday to preserve their slim hopes of staying up

Scott Parker has insisted he has enough on his plate trying to keep Fulham in the Premier League, rather than listen to speculation over his future.

Nothing less than victory will suffice for Fulham on Monday night as they host Burnley needing three points to preserve their slim chances of achieving safety.

Parker, who has been linked with the Tottenham job for next season, retains full belief that he can keep Fulham in the Premier League, despite them sitting nine points adrift of safety with just four games to go.

Asked whether the speculation had become a distraction, he responded: 'I honestly take no notice of a lot of that stuff. I have real sole focus on what I am trying to do.

'Trying to understand the noise and what is being said would drive you mad - you'd be going crazy at the thought of it all.

'Not just what you're insinuating but everything. Every week there is a different story - about the way we play or don't, what's right or wrong, who's leaving, or that player's not happy.

Parker revealed he will leave all talks with the Fulham owners until the end of the season.

'What I can focus on is myself,' he added.

At the end of the season we will sit down and look at it and have deeper discussions - not about what you're talking about - but things like where are we going? Who's done well?

'Until that time I am not going to waste my energy and become weaker in the job I do, become less of a coach, less of a manager.

'Some of the skill set that I bring to the team could drop because my energy levels are low and I am focusing on something that is an irrelevance at this moment.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9558725/Scott-Parker-unfazed-speculation-future-tries-Fulham-up.html

WhiteJC

Report: Everton now want to sign 'world class talent' for dynamism and steel

Everton are interested in signing Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa from Fulham in the summer transfer window, according to The Mirror.

It has been reported that Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti wants to add 'dynamism and steel' to the midfield and has identified the Fulham star as a potential target.

The 25-year-old Cameroon international defensive midfielder will reportedly cost £25 million in transfer fees.

The Toffees are still in the running for the Champions League places this season, but there is a sense that they will miss out on the Premier League top four.

Ancelotti could do with a better squad if he is to guide the team to the top four next season, and Anguissa would be a decent signing.

Fulham are likely to get relegated to the Championship at the end of the season, and the Cottagers may find it hard to keep hold of the 25-year-old.

Described as a "world class talent" by Fulham Sporting Director Tony Khan on the club's official website in August 2019, Anguissa has made 25 starts and seven substitute appearances in the Premier League this season.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/09/report-everton-now-want-to-sign-world-class-talent-for-dynamism-and-steel/

WhiteJC

Away We Go!

Boss praises progress on the road as Clarets close in on record tally

The Clarets are looking for another away-day special to carry them to Premier League safety.

Burnley have won more times away from home than they have had at Turf Moor so far this season.

Sean Dyche expects the return of fans to help redress the balance of results in the future.

But for now, the Burnley boss would happily take a sixth away victory of the campaign at Fulham on Monday night to guarantee the Clarets' top-flight status.

"The stats have changed this season compared to the norm, with away form compared to home form – not just for us but for a lot of teams," said Dyche.

"Often I talk about the margins and how tight they are. We've had a run of draws at home, particularly, and that can happen.

"On the other hand, our away form has been very strong, judging by our standards in the Premier League, which is not easy.

"These are all things that will iron themselves out when fans do come back in. Are the home fans going to give an edge to performances?

"I think in our case they will. I think our home fans over the years I've been here have found that real energy for the side and that real positivity."

The Clarets will welcome back supporters for the first time in over a year due to the pandemic when a proportion are allowed back to Turf Moor – free of charge – for the final home game of the season against Liverpool on Wednesday 19 May.

Before that the Clarets face Leeds United at home next Saturday following Monday night's trip to Fulham – whose 1-1 draw at Turf Moor in February was one of five draws in the Clarets' current eight-game winless home run.

The visit to Craven Cottage gives Dyche's side the opportunity to secure a fourth win in seven away games, which would kill off Fulham's chances of catching the Clarets and relegate the Londoners.

Burnley then end their season at relegated Sheffield United and a hat-trick of away wins to finish their campaign would see them equal the club's highest number of away victories in a Premier League season.

Dyche's side won away from home seven times in 2017/18 and 2019/20 to secure top-10 finishes.

But their current total of five surpasses any other Premier League campaign and one more win at Fulham on the back of a record-breaking 4-0 success at Wolves – the Clarets' biggest away win of the Premier League era – would mean a sixth successive season of top-flight football at Turf Moor.

"I think our players have grown in the sense of their understanding of the away task in the Premier League," added Dyche, whose side is nine points clear of Fulham with four games to go and won 3-0 at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup in January.

"I think that's obvious from a period where we couldn't get that first away win.

"Every season since then we've got stronger – or around the same marks and I think that's a good sign.

"I think that's the maturity of a side which has been in the Premier League a bit longer and the way our players have adapted to the challenge of the Premier League.

"The last one doesn't guarantee this one by any means, but I think we're in good shape.

"I think the performance levels are right. We've got to stay on the details – because that's cost us a couple of games – but when we get that right, as we did, against Wolves, we're still a very, very competitive side."

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/content/away-we-go

WhiteJC

West Ham fans are incredibly excited by latest Alphonse Areola rumour

According to Le Parisien, West Ham United target Alphonse Areola has made up his mind that he does not want to return to Paris Saint-Germain next season.

And some Hammers fans are incredibly excited about the French goalkeeper potentially moving to the London Stadium in the summer.

West Ham boss David Moyes should be on the look-out for a top class stopper this summer.

Lukasz Fabianski is nearly 36 and it is clear to see that he is slowly but surely on the decline.

West Ham signing Alphonse Areola would be a very smart move

The Express claimed recently that West Ham boss David Moyes wants to bring the 28-year-old French stopper to the London Stadium this summer.

Areola could be available for around £20 million this summer (The Sun).

That may well be too much money for the Hammers to spend. If Areola is indeed so keen to leave PSG, however, the French giants will surely lower their demands for the goalkeeper.

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-fans-are-incredibly-excited-by-latest-alphonse-areola-rumour/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Fulham vs. Burnley

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview of Fulham vs. Burnley.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/5/9/22427477/cottage-talk-preview-fulham-vs-burnley

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie posts emotional Instagram post as Nottingham Forest loan ends

Nottingham Forest defender Cyrus Christie has issued an emotional message to the club's supporters after his loan spell came to an end.

The Reds' right-back will now return to Fulham and will wait to see what the future holds.

Christie checked in at the City Ground during the summer transfer window. He was a regular in the team and made 44 appearances for the club.

His message on Instagram does perhaps suggest that a permanent deal hasn't been mentioned.

Christie's comments make his Forest spell sound like a closed book and it'll be interesting to see where he does end up next season.

After yesterday's game he took to social media to speak of his pride at getting the chance to turn out for the football club.

Is this the end for Christie?

His comments would certainly suggest that it's looking like he won't be back on Trentside next season.

Forest will make wholesale changes to their squad this summer but right-back might not be an area which needs strengthening.

The Reds will welcome back Jordan Gabriel into their ranks and Carl Jenkinson will still be under contract next season too.

Christie is out of contract at Fulham but the Cottagers do hold an option to hand him a one-year extension.

With Scott Parker's men set to drop back into the Championship, Christie could earn a reprieve at Craven Cottage.

It does seem as though the 28-year-old won't be back at the City Ground and that perhaps isn't a bad thing.

Christie has been better since the turn of the year but he does earn £20,000-a-week at Fulham and Forest are unlikely to offer such a salary to a full-back.

The Reds will need recruits but perhaps Christie won't be one of them.

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2021/05/09/cyrus-christie-posts-emotional-instagram-post-as-nottingham-forest-loan-ends/

WhiteJC

Wood can power Burnley to victory at Fulham

Adrian Clarke explains how in-form striker epitomises his side's powerful and direct approach

Adrian Clarke looks at key tactical points in Matchweek 35.

Burnley's forceful approach could pose plenty of problems for Fulham when the sides meet at Craven Cottage on Monday.

The Clarets have scored nine goals in their last four Premier League away matches, impressing greatly with their physicality and efficiency.

They were outstanding in victories at Everton and Wolverhampton Wanderers and a repeat of those performances could hand a defeat to Fulham that would consign them to relegation.

Winning it back
Burnley have looked at their best when they have focused hard on pressing inside the opposition half.

We are accustomed to seeing them defend compactly when put under pressure but they have improved at regaining possession much higher up the pitch.

Manchester City, Liverpool and Brighton & Hove Albion are the only teams to have forced more turnovers inside the final third.

With four matches left to play they have already won the ball back in those advanced areas more than they did in the entire 2019/20 campaign.

Possession won in final third 2020/21

Team       Possession wins in final third
Man City       197
Liverpool       181
Brighton       169
Burnley       153
West Brom       153

Burnley displayed plenty of this desire to close Wolves' players down in the 4-0 win at Molineux in their last away match.

This forced a number of mistakes throughout, with two of their four goals stemming from transitions they created.

Sean Dyche's side refused to let Wolves settle and his midfield quartet and front two regained possession 29 times inside the opposition half.

Direct play

When Burnley play to their strengths, their direct style of play is a handful.

Deploying a front two that usually features leading goalscorer Chris Wood plus one of Matej Vydra, Ashley Barnes or Jay Rodriguez, they use longer passes to good effect.

Over 41 per cent of Burnley's passes are hit forward, so when they find quality with that distribution they ask a lot of questions.

Highest forward pass percentages 2020/21

Team       Forward passes %
West Brom       43.0
Burnley       41.4
Crystal Palace       40.9
West Ham       39.4
Newcastle       38.9

This way of playing suits Wood, a nominee for April 2021's EA SPORTS Player of the Month award, perfectly and he approaches this contest in terrific form.

He has scored seven times in as many matches and will provide a robust challenge for Fulham centre-backs Joachim Andersen and Tosin Adarabioyo.

Best shot accuracy in 2020/21*

Shot accuracy %  Shots on target  Shots   Goals
Alexandre Lacazette      72.5  29  40   13
Chris Wood      72.0  36  50   11
Son Heung-min      67.3  33  49   16
Marcus Rashford      66.0 35  53   10
Danny Ings      65.7  25  38   10

*Players to score at least 10 goals

The 29-year-old hits the target on a consistent basis.

And from a statistical view point Wood's shooting is actually the second-most accurate among those with 10 goals or more, just behind Arsenal's Alexandre Lacazette.

Wood's goalscoring form and physical threat mean Fulham will need to be at their best defensively if they are to contain him and boost their hopes of safety.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2131108

WhiteJC

Sam Allardyce suffers relegation on Sunday night – and Fulham could be next in 24 hours time

West Brom have officially been relegated from the Premier League.

For the first time in his career as a top flight manager, former Newcastle United boss Sam Allardyce has failed to secure Premier League safety, with the Baggies' 3-1 defeat at Arsenal on Sunday night sealing their fate.

West Brom went into the game 10 points adrift with three games remaining, meaning the loss is the final nail in the coffin for their survival hopes, handing them an immediate return to the second tier.

With Sheffield United already gone, the third and final spot could be decided on Monday Night Football should Fulham lose to 17th place Burnley at Craven Cottage.

Scott Parker's side are currently sat 27 points with four games remaining, so a defeat to Sean Dyche's side (36 points) would make it mathematically impossible for them to survive.

Here's the table as of Sunday night, showing us 12 clear of the drop zone and up in 14th following our shock win over Leicester on Friday:

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/05/09/sam-allardyce-suffers-relegation-on-sunday-night-and-fulham-could-be-next-in-24-hours-time/

WhiteJC

Parker happy to see gamesmanship from players

Fulham boss Scott Parker will approve of any gamesmanship that might earn his side the win they desperately need against Burnley.

The Whites simply have to win to have any chance of avoiding the drop.

At Chelsea last week, Bobby Decordova-Reid jostled Chelsea keeper Edouard Mendy at a corner and unzipped the velcro on his gloves – not once but twice – in a bid to distract him.

Mendy looked peeved, but Parker is happy for his players to try to wind up the opposition.

Parker said: "It was cheeky, wasn't it? It was what you want to see. Gamesmanship, or a little edge, but not trying to push it too much. I liked it."

Fulham know exactly what they must do at Craven Cottage on Monday. Lose and their relegation will be confirmed.

Parker insisted: "I prefer it this way. It's a definite, and this has come to the point where for some there are trophies to be won, and others to avoid relegation.

"This is where we find out who's up to the challenge."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-parker-liked-fulham-mans-attempt-to-wind-up-chelsea-keeper-mendy

WhiteJC

Scott Parker issues rallying cry for 'brave players' and 'cool heads' in Fulham's do-or-die match against Burnley... knowing only a win can save them from relegation

Scott Parker said his Fulham players must be 'brave' to beat Burnley on Monday
    Fulham must beat Sean Dyche's team otherwise they will be relegated
    Parker called for his side to have 'cool heads' and 'laser focus' during the game

Scott Parker has called on his players to be brave ahead of their now-or-never meeting with relegation rivals Burnley.

The pressure is on Fulham, who are nine points from safety with four games to go, after letting a string of opportunities to improve their survival hopes slip through their fingers.

Parker's third-bottom side host Burnley, the team above them, knowing only victory will do if they are to stand any chance of pulling off what would surely be the greatest escape from top-flight relegation. Lose and Fulham are down.

Scott Parker said his Fulham players 'need to be brave' to beat Burnley and avoid relegation

'They are going to need to be brave,' said Parker. 'Not just brave players but players in those moments who can be really clinical.

'Players that can live off that one moment when that moment is executed. Bravery and a cool head with a laser focus that can execute.

'We're playing a team who are nine points off us. Can we take that to six points with three games to play, if results go our way?

'This is the pressure that comes with being in our position.'

While Parker is not hiding from what is at stake, he is refusing to think about next season while Fulham still have hope in this one, as small as that may be.

He said: 'I just have the focus now — we need to beat Burnley. And whatever anyone else does, my main focus is, "Can we win this football match?"

'If failure happens then of course, there are conversations we will all have.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9559975/Scott-Parker-issues-rallying-cry-brave-players-Fulhams-die-match-against-Burnley.html

WhiteJC

"Our thinking is to win the game" - Burnley boss Sean Dyche not playing for a draw at Fulham
Burnley go to Craven Cottage on Monday night with Fulham desperate for three points.

But while a draw would suit the Clarets, boss Sean Dyche is only thinking of winning the game and ensuring survival.

Victory in West London would mathematically confirm a sixth-successive Premier League season for Burnley, while a point would mean Fulham having to win their last three games, against Southampton, Manchester United and Newcastle United, while hoping the Clarets also lose their last three against Leeds United, Liverpool and already relegated Sheffield United.

Dyche won't be playing it safe, however, as he looks for a sixth away win of the season: "No, that's not our way of thinking. I always make it clear to the team our thinking is to win the game.

"That's the best way of going about it. It's irrelevant the game in the sense that if your performance is right, it will look after the game.

"So we have tried to stay with that thinking. We have won big games down the years, very important games, and we know we're not far away.

"There are always twists and tweaks, but that's not about the game, that's about the tactics of who we're playing.

"We believe in the way we play, we believe in what we're doing and that has been quite apparent from game seven until now, from having just two points there to where we are now.

"So that's a pretty big shift when you look at it.

"The detail of delivery is important as is the physicality, the running of the side, and ours is very strong and you bring that together with the talent in the side."

Burnley's last three wins have all come on the road, but not in a counter-attacking style, with dominant displays against Crystal Palace, Everton and Wolves.

And Fulham have only won twice at Craven Cottage all season - against relegated West Brom and Sheffield United, indeed, Burnley have scored there as many times as Scott Parker's side this calendar year, in a 3-0 win in the FA Cup fourth round in January.

There has been a general shift in home advantage not being as prominent behind closed doors, and Dyche explained: "The teams coming on to us, I understand the thought, but when you think of the Wolves performance, I think we were on the front foot.

"When we went to Liverpool, that's a different thing

"I think we have tried to adapt our game to the away performances, and the players have a greater understanding of it from playing more and more in the Premier League more.

"I think the balance is out of kilter this year like for many teams and there must be something in the fans.

"If you asked a normal supporter if their team had better home form than away they would probably say yes, better home form.

"Then there was lockdown and it's changed, so there must be something in it, there must be something in having fans in stadiums.

"Going back to the away performances, we have addressed it as much as we had to when we came back up. When we came back up I think we had one win and took four or five points away from home.

"We had to address that, break it down and the players became more mature in the Premier League.

"So I think there's a mixed bag."

There is more pressure on Fulham to win, as their need is greater, but Dyche's focus is on performance: "As always we'll focus on what we need to do.

"There is obviously more weight on them, just because of what the table shows you. That's a different ball game. It's up to them what they make of that.

"But for us, it's just another game, an important one, and one where we need to deliver a good performance, as we have recently, even if we haven't always been picking up the points.

"This game will be built up, because of the situation we're both in, but we don't want to get involved in that. Our aims are performance, three points. That's it, regardless of who it's against."

https://www.pendletoday.co.uk/sport/football/our-thinking-is-to-win-the-game-burnley-boss-sean-dyche-not-playing-for-a-draw-at-fulham-3230209

WhiteJC

Fulham v Burnley

Fulham's chances of staying in the Premier League took a further blow when they were beaten by local rivals Chelsea last week.

Fulham boss Scott Parker has urged his players to be brave as they look to keep alive their slim hopes of retaining their Premier League status.

The Cottages are nine points adrift of safety with four games remaining.

Defeat to Burnley on Monday night would confirm their relegation to the Championship but a win would move them to within six points of the Clarets.

"The pressure is on. That pressure comes because of where we sit," Parker said.

"They [the players] are going to need to be brave. We have needed them. Not just brave players but players in those moments who can be real clinical - I'm not just talking about a finish or an attacking phase, I'm also talking defensively as well."

TEAM NEWS

Parker has a virtually fully-fit squad to choose from.

Harrison Reed is back in light training, while Tom Cairney is nearing a return from the knee injury that has kept him out since December.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche is hopeful both Nick Pope and Chris Wood will be fit to start after being troubled by minor injuries.

However, Robbie Brady and Kevin Long remain on the sidelines.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham are another side whose time in the top flight is running out. Even a win here will only delay the inevitable.

Burnley know a point will make absolutely sure they are safe, but I am expecting them to get all three.

Prediction: 0-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham have won eight of their past nine home league matches against Burnley.
    Burnley have won just one of the five Premier League meetings, losing on both their visits to Craven Cottage.
    However, the Clarets beat Fulham 3-0 at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup earlier this season - the last time Burnley won two away games against the same side in a season was at the expense of Blackpool in 1992-93.

Fulham

Fulham have only managed one point from their past six games.
    A 12th home league defeat of the season would be a club record.
    They have scored just nine goals in their 17 home league matches this season, including only three in their last 11. No English top-flight team has ever failed to reach double figures for home goals in a season.
    The Cottagers are unbeaten in all nine league fixtures this season against the other teams who began this matchround in the bottom seven of the table.

Burnley

Burnley have won just three of their past 15 league matches, with all of them coming in away fixtures.
    The Clarets have scored 12 goals in six away league games, as many as in their previous 18.
    They have only won one of their 10 Premier League fixtures this campaign against the other teams who began this matchround in the bottom seven of the table.
    Sean Dyche's side have not received a red card in 89 Premier League matches since Robbie Brady was sent off at Huddersfield in January 2019. Only Ipswich Town (94, 1992-1994) have had a longer run of Premier League fixtures without a red card.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56967616

WhiteJC

Scott Parker urges Fulham to be brave in bid to produce unlikely survival run
Burnley currently sit 17th, one place above Fulham in the relegation zone but with a nine-point advantage.

Fulham manager Scott Parker wants his players to be brave under the pressure as they try to keep their Premier League status alive against Burnley at Craven Cottage.

Burnley currently sit 17th, one place above Fulham in the relegation zone but with a nine-point advantage with four games each left to play.

A win for Sean Dyche's men would seal Fulham's fate, while securing Burnley's own place in next season's Premier League.

"The pressure is on. That pressure comes because of where we sit," Parker said.

"The pressure will come on at the weekend because we're playing a team that are nine points off us. Can we take that to six points with three games to play, if results go our way.

"This is the pressure that comes with being in our position."

The Cottagers need to win their final four games, but have just five wins to their name so far this season, and their upcoming fixtures include a clash against Manchester United.

However the club have put together a remarkable survival run before, in 2007-08, when Fulham ensured their survival by winning their final three matches and Parker urged his players to be fearless.

"They are going to need to be brave. We have needed them. Not just brave players but players in those moments who can be real clinical – I'm not just talking about a finish or an attacking phase, I'm also talking defensively as well," the Fulham boss said.

"Players that can execute under those moments, players that can just live off that one moment and that moment is executed and it happens. That is this league and when you are Fulham and a Fulham player, that is the way this league is going to be.

"As ever, the next game rolls around, the experiences one has faced before can only be helpful and you hope that maybe at the weekend that is what we are definitely going to need. Bravery and a cool head with a laser focus that can execute."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/scott-parker-urges-fulham-to-be-brave-in-bid-to-produce-unlikely-survival-run-40405952.html

WhiteJC

Loftus-Cheek may have been affected by Fulham's struggle – Parker

Scott Parker admits Ruben Loftus-Cheek may have been affected by being in a struggling Fulham side.

The on-loan Chelsea player has endured an indifferent campaign with the Whites and Parker says his progress might have been hindered as a result.

"Maybe. He's came from a football club where he wouldn't have experienced certain things in football matches that he would experience here," Parker said.

The Fulham boss added: "There are elements of Ruben's game that he needs to get better at.

"Ruben came here and had been out of the game a long time, but I think it's fair to say he's had his moments and done well, but he's had his inconsistencies, and he would be the first to admit that."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/loftus-cheek-may-have-been-affected-by-fulhams-struggle-parker

WhiteJC

MATCHDAY: Fulham relegated if it loses to Burnley

A look at what's happening in European soccer on Monday:

ENGLAND

Fulham will become the third and final team to be relegated from the Premier League if it loses at home to Burnley. West Bromwich Albion's fate was sealed on Sunday, joining last-place Sheffield United in going down. Fulham is in third-to-last place in its first season back in the top flight, nine points behind fourth-to-last Burnley with four games left for each team.

SPAIN

Real Betis can reach sixth place and move closer to securing a Europa League spot when it hosts midtable Granada in the Spanish league. Betis is one point behind Villarreal, which lost 4-2 at home against Celta Vigo on Sunday. Betis has drawn its last six games, and hasn't beaten Granada in its last five league matches. Granada has lost two of its last three games but beat Barcelona 2-1 at Camp Nou Stadium in the other one.

PORTUGAL

Sporting Lisbon can win its first Portuguese league title since 2002 if Porto loses or draws against Farense. Sporting can also clinch the title — its 19th in the league — with a win against Boavista on Tuesday. Sporting has an eight-point lead over Porto with three rounds to go. Porto won the title last season. No other team other than Porto or Benfica has won the league since Sporting lifted the trophy 19 years ago.

https://apnews.com/article/la-liga-premier-league-europe-soccer-sports-1023382939c2ba5b13cc1bee533241db

WhiteJC

Is Scott Parker the right man to bring Fulham back up to the Premier League?

Fulham's fate will be sealed tonight if they do not defeat visiting Burnley. The Cottagers currently sit on 27 points. The Clarets are on 36. Anything but victory will leave them at least ten points adrift their opponents, not to mention the other two clubs still within reach, Brighton and Southampton, with just three matches and the commensurate nine points remaining to them.

For most, claiming all the points in this evening's tilt will only postpone the inevitable. Still, stranger things have happened. In 2014/15, Nigel Pearson lifted Leicester City from the mire with 10 points in the Foxes final four matches and the next year, albeit without him, they were Premier League Champions. But let's assume the worst, that Fulham are going down. Rewind two years and you find them in an almost identical situation, relegated from the Premier League with Scott Parker in charge. The question then? Is the relatively inexperienced 40-year-old the right man to once again lead them back to the top flight next year?

Regardless of COVID, managerial lifespans are shorter than ever despite the proven fact that patience yields results. Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp needed four finals to finally deliver silverware to the Kop and another year to put an end to their Premier League hoodoo. This season, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer finally guided Manchester United to a final after a similar four failures and, next season, Norwich City returns to the top flight with Daniel Farke still in charge after winning a second Championship crown in three years.

Promoted clubs often struggle the following season and don't give their managers time, ignoring that the squads frequently overachieved in the first place. You only have to look at Burnley's record under Sean Dyche to see that resisting the urge to push the panic button can have long term benefits.

However, Fulham are not a club known for their patience. The Cottagers have burned through 13 coaches in the hot seat since 2007.

When Parker took over as caretaker manager two years ago, the club was all but relegated. While he couldn't alter their fortunes, Chairman Shahid Khan stuck with him, naming the Lambeth native permanent manager that summer. Having purchased the club just six years prior, the Pakistani-born American's choice wasn't made from sentiment even though the former midfielder's 486 senior matches included 119 with Fulham. Given Parker's lack of impact in a custodial role, it was a brave decision to retain him, but one that paid off when the former Chelsea midfielder brought promotion at the first time of asking via a 2-1 playoff victory over Brentford at Wembley last August.

Admittedly, the COVID delay left Khan with no time to search for other coaching options before the 2020/21 campaign began. Nevertheless, Parker was awarded a three-year contract.Just a year in, though, a return to the Championship fuels rumours the deal will be terminated.

In preparation for Fulham's previous last spell in the Premier League, Khan spent big on a host of new players with Premier League experience to no avail. The Cottagers were abysmal defensively, leaking 89 goals.

This time, Fulham came with a different approach. Signings were made but, rather than significant investment, the promotion-winning squad was supplemented with loan players. Three wins in six to start the New Year offered hope of survival with Fulham climbing above the relegation places. But the momentum quickly evaporated, coinciding with relegation rival Newcastle's upturn in form.

There are big decisions to be made over the summer if Fulham intend to bounce back once again. First and foremost, the owner must determine whether the manager has made sufficient improvement to remain in charge.

As a player, Parker was disciplined and team oriented. He has moulded the squad in his image, not entertaining any stars with a sense of entitlement. His approach resulted in a much tighter rearguard which has only conceded 45 times this term. Unfortunately, he may have over corrected. The Cottagers are woeful in attack, striking only 25 times in 34 matches. Only already relegated Sheffield are more impotent.

In the league, Bobby DeCordova-Reid's five goals make him the club's top scorer. That should tell you all you need to know. Last year's talisman Aleksandar Mitrović, who won the Championship Golden Boot with 26 strikes, has been exiled to the periphery in the top flight. Left out of the starting 11 for the majority of the campaign after struggling early, he's only been able to put balls past goalkeepers three times. Should Parker have shown more patience with a proven scorer? If the Fulham braintrust decide that is the case, they have every right to wonder why they should show patience with their manager.

Overall, Fulham competed much better in this Premier League season than their last. They've displayed greater resilience. Will that be enough for the club to give Parker the time to add enterprise to the list of his squad's character traits?

It isn't like he is unwanted elsewhere. In recent weeks, he has been linked with another former club. Some pundits tout him to replace Jose Mourinho at Tottenham. Bookmakers list him as the fourth favourite to be the next manager in North London. In the face of that, Fulham themselves haven't confirmed whether they intend to stick with the former England international.

Although the Cottagers are more competitive this season, they remain two victories shy of the seven they tallied two years ago. They've also folded just when they came within touching distance of safety, picking up one point from their last six games.

A decision on Parker's future is likely to be made once Fulham's relegation is confirmed. Ultimately, he hasn't been able to achieve any more with a full season in charge than he did in a handful of matches in 2018/19.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/is-scott-parker-the-right-man-to-bring-fulham-back-up-to-the-premier-league

WhiteJC

All Saints Eyes On Fulham V Burnley Tonight But There Is A Dilemma

It's been a roller coaster season for Southampton FC and tonight could see both another high and another low at the same time as Fulham take on Burnley knowing this is the first of four last chance saloons for them.

If Fulham fail to beat Burnley at Craven Cottage this evening then that will all but confirm their relegation back to the Championship, they start today on 27 points with 4 games left and can only get a total of 39 if they win each of their final four games.

A draw will see them only be able to manage 37 points and that will be the total that the three clubs directly above them Burnley , Saints & Brighton will sit on if that is the result.

But although that draw will all but see Saints safe it will also see Burnley overtake us goal difference and we will drop to 17th only a place above Fulham.

Burnley for their part know that if they beat the Cottagers this evening then not only are they safe but so will Saints and Brighton be and for that matter Newcastle on 39 points, as that win will see Fulham only be able to get 36 points and they will be down with 3 games left to play and join Sheffield United and West Brom who themselves saw their fate confirmed after defeat at Arsenal yesterday.

But for Saints fans there is a dilemma, do we want to trade absolute safety with a Burnley victory tonight against League position.

There is now a mini league between Crystal Palace in 13th place on 41 points going down to Burnley at time of writing in 17th on 36 points.

With four games left we should really be backing ourselves to hit that 13th spot come the end of the season, we have four winnable games and with the next two against Fulham and Palace it is all in our own hands.

It is not just the league looking a bit better in terms of position, it is also about the money, there is £8 million to play for, in financial terms for those that have a glass half empty viewpoint it covers three months of the current losses made in this pandemic, for those with a more optimistic outlook it will boost our transfer kitty by £8 million and for a club our size that amount is not significant.

So there is a school of thought that says that Burnley losing tonight might be better from a Saints perspective, it will still leave us sweating on mathematical safety, but will leave Burnley still below us in the League and give us a head start on the race for 13th.

Weighing things up I am of the mind that a draw will be the best result, it leaves Fulham no room in their last three games and we could indeed put them to bed on Saturday at St Mary's and it leaves us with a level playing field for the final 3 games.

Some will disagree but if we finish 13th that is the par score for us, there would be few clubs above us who when you weight all things up including size of support etc on paper should be below us.

We as a club are about good management and overachieving, if we hit 13th we hit par score which although is a disappointment is where we should be as a minimum, indeed you could argue par is actually 14th given the size of Newcastle as a club.

So a dilemma tonight, where do you stand on the result, win lose of draw for either side ?

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/55024/

WhiteJC

Mr Khan's Programme Notes

In my final programme notes of the 2020/21 season, I want to lead by expressing my personal appreciation for your dedication and loyalty throughout what can only be described as a campaign that was frustrating for Fulham Football Club and surreal for the Premier League.

Of course, what matters most to me is our supporters, and your Club. I don't think any of us could have imagined everything that has occurred since our promotion in August of 2020, and I know it's not what you wanted or deserve. We are all disappointed, especially given the form we displayed from early February through our win at Liverpool on 7th March that suggested Fulham would finish the season in safety, perhaps even comfortably so.

As we're all too aware, wins have eluded us ever since that historic outcome at Anfield. Our failure to keep leads late in the matches at Aston Villa and Arsenal, and the last-gasp goal we conceded in defeat at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers in between those fixtures meant the seven points that appeared to be ours – at a minimum – turned to only one, the draw at the Emirates Stadium. There is no question that our sluggish start to the season plays a role in our position at the moment, but the six points dropped as the clock wound down in those three games last month truly sting.

And yet, those excruciating outcomes also serve as a reminder that the quality and ability throughout our squad is there. The desire and commitment of our Head Coach Scott Parker, his staff and the players are not in question. And, in football, anything can happen.

So, we can assess our current view in two different ways. One, we have only four matches remaining, and time has all but expired. Or, we have four more opportunities to help ensure a return to the Premier League next season.

Admittedly, we will need favourable results in other fixtures, but a victory tonight over Burnley creates possibilities that may appear to be far-reaching, but are nonetheless the very definition of possibility. So, the first and only step that is important at the moment is defeating our visitors to Craven Cottage this evening. If we do, anything is indeed possible.

A lot has happened in world football, and in the world, since my last notes. The passing of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, occurred on 9th April just hours ahead of our home match against Wolves. My interest in and respect for the Royal Family is deep, so I therefore felt a sense of profoundness and sadness when Fulham paid a lovely tribute to His Royal Highness in an empty, dark and quiet Craven Cottage moments before our Friday evening kick-off. Fulham Football Club did a wonderful job, on the spot, producing a poignant moment that was captured by news media and football viewers from around the globe. I send my sincere condolences to the Royal Family and appreciation to our superb FFC staff for a beautiful, if melancholy, occasion for our game, the United Kingdom and the world.

Several weeks earlier we learned of the passing of Alan Slough, who anchored our midfield and started all 12 matches that led us to the FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium in 1975. I enjoy hearing stories of the stars who played before my time with the Club, but regrettably that often occurs after they have passed on. Such is the case with Alan Slough, a Fulham captain who valiantly fought Parkinson's disease and leaves us with fond memories and our eternal gratitude. Our plan was to honour Alan with a period of silence prior to the Wolves match, but due to the tribute in memory of Prince Philip on that evening, we will conduct that moment tonight. Wherever you may be, I hope you'll join the Club in saluting Alan Slough while keeping his wife Anne, his sons and their entire family in your thoughts.

I shared a statement several weeks ago stating my opposition, and that of Fulham Football Club, to the proposed Super League. Nothing has changed, but I will take this opportunity to emphasise that the glory of this game is not only in the talent of the players, traditions of our clubs and passion of our supporters, but also in the domestic leagues that provide the foundation for competition – the very jewel of sports. The Premier League, Championship and Leagues One and Two all have distinct personalities, offer opportunity and reward those who are ambitious and successful in England and Wales.

There was some talk last year during the height of the pandemic of conveniently promoting and relegating the clubs who were in those respective table positions rather than restarting our seasons. That would have benefitted Fulham, as we held third place in the Championship at the time. However, that would not have been faithful to what drives our game – the spirit of competition. Though our eventual promotion via the Play-Offs wasn't the ideal route, it was the path of integrity and fair play. Nothing given and everything earned – a principle at the heart of our game, and one the proposed Super League clearly did not understand or respect.

Football is not without its challenges, financial and otherwise, and perhaps the saving grace of this escapade is we're reminded that we need viable solutions to protect and advance the game for generations ahead. In the meantime, I applaud the Premier League for announcing steps last week intended to preserve the long-standing standards of the professional game: an open pyramid, progression through merit and the highest standards of sporting integrity. These measures are designed to stop the threat of breakaway leagues in the future, and I trust they will be adhered to by all.

I also commend the Premier League and everyone at Fulham for making a statement against online hate and discrimination by pausing their social media activity from 30th April through 3rd May. Social media can be a great place to communicate and engage, to give insights, offer opinions and share news relevant to their favourite players, clubs and leagues. Unfortunately, it can also be a place where individuals can, in relative anonymity, post toxic and often racist abuse that has no place in society. During my tenure as your Chairman, I too have encountered both the positive and occasionally very negative side of social media, and it's time to call for change. Let's make 2021 the year that we turn the corner and stamp out this inexcusable conduct.

Before I close, let's not overlook the outstanding season turned in by our Under-18s, who will conclude their Premier League campaign on Saturday at Chelsea. The work by the squad under the guidance of Steve Wigley, Ali Melloul and Vic Bettinelli has been exceptional and is another example of the stellar leadership of Huw Jennings, our Academy Director.

And finally, our staff has been nominated for top honours in two categories of the prestigious Football Business Awards – Best Fan Engagement for our FULFORCE From Home campaign conceived by Matt Lowery after the restart of the 2019/20 season, and Best Corporate Social Responsibility Scheme in recognition of our impressive response, led by Mike McSweeney and our Foundation, to the COVID-19 pandemic.  The winners will be announced on July 6th, but the nominations alone reflect once again the professionalism and pride of all who work behind the scenes at Fulham Football Club. Congratulations to Matt, Mike and everyone at the Club responsible for these brilliant initiatives!

Wherever you may be viewing the match this evening, know that your support is appreciated and more important than ever. I thank everyone and we hope to see a limited number of you at the Cottage for our final game of the season, against Newcastle United, as currently intended. Wouldn't it be spectacular if that fixture on 23rd May turns out to be one of the more meaningful matches in Fulham Football Club history?

So, let's get three points tonight.  We're still in this.

Come on, Fulham!

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/Mr-Khan-s-Programme-Notes/

WhiteJC

PL PREVIEW: Fulham v Burnley

All the build-up as Clarets face a big night in the capital

The Clarets head to Craven Cottage with Premier League safety within their grasp.

The weekend's results saw Sean Dyche's men slip a place to 17th in the table.

But they remain nine points clear of Fulham and victory over the Cottagers on Monday night would confirm Burnley's top-flight status for a sixth year and the Londoners' relegation straight back to the Championship.

West Bromwich Albion's defeat to Arsenal on Sunday means there is just one relegation slot still to be filled.

Fulham remain odds-on to make the drop with just four games to go and a minimum of three wins needed from a run of games against Burnley, Southampton, Manchester United and Newcastle United.

But the Clarets will want to take care of business themselves as quickly as possible to cap a magnificent recovery from a position bottom of the table with just one point from their opening six games.

And to that end Dyche is delighted to have match-winners at his disposal with the return to fitness of Ashley Barnes getting his strikeforce back to up to strength.

Top-scorer Chris Wood and Matej Vydra have formed the starting partnership in recent games.

But having Barnes – who scored an important equaliser against Fulham in February – and Jay Rodriguez – whose two goals helped knocked the Cottagers out of the FA Cup a month earlier – available offers valuable options.

"All the strikers are showing really good sharpness," said the Burnley boss.

"Barnesy is slightly different because he's been injured but I thought Jay Rodriuguez looked sharp again when he came on the other night.

"Woody's playing well and has got a great goals' return going and Vyds is looking a threat.

"He's scored a couple of really important goals too, so you've got four strikers who form a very good group, especially for a club like us."

Team news

The Clarets have no fresh injury concerns after top scorer Chris Wood recovered from a dead leg picked up late on in last Monday's defeat to West Ham.

But Burnley remain without Robbie Brady and Kevin Long, who scored the third goal in January's 3-0 FA Cup win at Fulham.

The Cottagers are also nearing a fully fit squad, with former Blackburn Rovers midfielder Tom Cairney close to a return following a knee injury that has kept him out since December.

Fellow midfield man Harrison Reed – who also spent time at Ewood Park as a loan signing – is also back in training after missing last weekend's defeat at Chelsea.

Form guide

The Clarets have won one of their last five league games. Prior to that, they had lost just one in seven.

Sean Dyche's men have won three of their last six away games and would equal a Premier League high of seven away wins if they can take maximum points in their final two games.

Fulham have drawn one and lost five of their last six games to sit 18th in the table – one place below Burnley.

The Cottagers – who have won just twice at home and scored only nine home goals in the league this season – are nine points behind Burnley and will be relegated for the second time in three seasons if they lose to Sean Dyche's side for the second time this season following their FA Cup defeat in January.

Opposition camp

Fulham manager Scott Parker: "Yes, they're must-win fixtures for us, starting on Monday night against Burnley.

"There's no denying that we're at a point in our season, with the position we find ourselves in, these are games we've got to win now.

"We'll try everything in our power to win them. We understand the situation, we understand where we are, but the main focus is Monday night.

"And what Monday night is, is an opportunity for us to win a game of football and get three points, and we've got to do that.

"My belief is not waning, definitely not, because at this moment there's still four games left. I'm not deluded, I understand the predicament we're in, I understand how difficult the challenge is, but the challenge is still there.

"Can we win four? That's the aim. In the real short term, that's Monday night, we need to win that game."

Match stats

Sean Dyche will take charge of his 350th league game as Burnley boss. He has so far recorded130 wins and 97 draws.

Captain Ben Mee will make his 350th appearance for the Clarets.

Burnley-born striker Jay Rodriguez will make the 200th appearance for his hometown club if he features. He scored twice at Fulham in an FA Cup win in January and is on 99 career league goals.

Striker Chris Wood needs one goal for 50 for Burnley in all competitions.

Burnley midfielder Josh Brownhill's last league goal came at Craven Cottage for Bristol City in December 2019.

A 12th home defeat of the season would set an unwanted club record for the Cottagers.

Referee

David Coote

VAR

Peter Bankes

Kick-off

Monday 8pm

Broadcast

Sky Sports. Commentary on Clarets+

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/content/pl-preview-fulham-v-burnley