Palace

WhiteJC

Jack and Loz Not at the Cottage - Blog 178
Date: 10th May 2021

Opposition: Burnley

Score: 0-2

MOTM: no one. Obviously

Dinner: Jack - prawn stir fry; Loz - melanzana

A wise man once said, "We are not a train station," and he was right. In fact, Fulham Football Club are a lift - we go up and down all the time.

Our latest descent was sealed (not before time, Frankly) on Monday night in a match which said it all about this woeful season. In yet another Must Win Game, we were outplayed and out fought by the team one place above us.

A lot of football fans would say they wouldn't want to watch Burnley every week. Sure, the football is basic, often aerial and generally unattractive. The players shout "Away!" literally every time the opposition have the ball in their box and, somewhat inexplicably, they shout, "Ball!" when said object is anywhere else on the pitch. However, the method works and the shouting Burnley players are safe in the Premier League for another season.

In contrast, very little Fulham did on Monday night worked, in keeping with the rest of the season. As usual, there was some nice passing, lots of possession and some actual shots on target. But there was nothing else. No end product, no creativity, no urgency. No fight. The players ensured we went down without even a whimper.

Burnley were fast, aggressive and ambitious. Fulham (for whom this was a Must Win Game, remember) were slow and placid. The once mighty defence continued its recent habit of crumbling under pressure. The midfield was desperately missing Harrison Reed and whilst we have been crying out to watch Mitro play for 90 minutes, he was ponderous and plodding.

Whilst the match felt very stop-start with lots of free kicks and thrown ins, it was full of incident. We nearly had a penalty, Frank nearly broke the bar, Areola was nearly sent off. Those fine margins again!

In fact, Areola had a good game, as he has had a good season. Alone of Monday's line-up, he could walk into any squad in Europe. The formerly heroic Andersen was at fault for both goals and the formerly inspirational Lookman was hesitant and wasteful. Robinson and Tete both put in a lot of effort but no effective crosses; Frank was purposeful at times and half-hearted at others. Maja was full of running but didn't link up with Mitro at all; Bobby was anonymous and Cav was Cav.

A shout out to Lemina for playing every outfield position on the pitch and sometimes two at once and to Tosin for showing what we all felt when Scott made the final sub......

Which brings us to the man himself. What must it be like, as a young, inexperienced coach trying to manage a blended squad of loanees, newbies and old timers with a dubious management structure above him and in the toughest league in the world? Scott Parker had an impossible task this season - going up at the very last minute, the squad not being assembled until even later, no new striker - and we don't envy him the job.

However, pretty passing and getting to half time at 0-0 might be an identity but it doesn't cut it as a strategy to stay in the Premier League. And when you're 2-0 down in a Must Bloody Win Game you don't wait so long to make your subs. Most of all, when you have 15 minutes left to save the season, you don't make a bad situation worse by bringing on your most useless player. That will take some time to forgive.

Random musings:-

- the minute's silence for Alan Slough was touching and well observed

- Frank got a yellow card for apologising to someone

Relegation is obviously disappointing but it doesn't feel as gut wrenching as last time. Partly because we've all been resigned to it for a while and also, depressingly, because we're getting used to it. Later on, when the drop doesn't feel so raw, it will be time to assess and apportion fault for this miserable outcome to what could have been an exciting season. Certainly, no one person, or group of people, bears all the blame.

For now, let's remember the Cottage dappled with shadows on a fine May evening and the dusk enveloping the ground and the floodlights electrifying the atmosphere. We will be back. Soon.

https://werdsmith.com/p/4VwNBXEt9har4

WhiteJC

Every word Scott Parker said on his future, pivotal discussions and rebuilding in the summer

The Cottagers boss was asked about Fulham's next steps and whether discussions this summer could impact his own future

Game tonight summed up the season?

Yeah, probably. It's a fair assumption of tonight's game. If someone hasn't watched us this year and watched the game tonight that has probably summed up our year. Very good at times between the boxes but have just fallen short at times at both ends. That was the same tonight.

Two poor goals and then our good play of getting to them final moments - just lacked that bit of quality to score a goal.

Effort, I have nothing but full respect for my players of what they did this year. The facts are we have fallen a little bit short in our quality.

Largely down to the start of the season and then playing catch up?

Yeah. We didn't start the season too well. Four or five games passed and a brand new team that brings challenges and players settling in, bringing a team together that understands what is needed in this division. A young squad - I think most Premier League appearances is probably Ruben Loftus-Cheek in this team. So, young in the sense of age and in the sense of nous and experience in this division.

Thoughts will turn to what is next, how important is the summer going to be?

The most important. The absolute most important. The decisions we make now as a football club are going to be crucial and pivotal.

Next year is going to be another new side, another new squad and like I said, it's been disappointing this year, we need to put our hands up, get around a table and understand where we want to go as a club and what we need to do.

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster with a relegation, a promotion, a relegation and we need to make some crucial decision to bounce back into this division. That is not going to be easy, especially when half the team are leaving. We'll hopefully make some good decisions and work out where we need to go.

Do you feel a rebuilding exercise is needed?

I wouldn't want to go into detail at this present time. I'm hurt, I''m gutted, the players are. Everyone has tried everything possible, everyone in the football club has done everything in their power to try and stay in the division this year. Certainly, you don't need me to sit here and explain to you what we need to look at and how we need to reassess things. There's other stuff of course which is going to come out.

What is important is we're going to have these honest conversations and what we need to do to try and have some sustainability. Our aim is the big prize, in this case, staying in the Premier League. We need to understand how we get there and stay there. Promotion, relegation - in my eyes that is not successful. That's what we need to work, we'll do that together and we'll try and bounce back.

In terms of the decision making process - do you need them to understand more? To build more slowly and organically rather than firing a lot at it?

Yeah, definitely. That's part of the bigger picture. We all want to be in this division. In sport, it's not as easy as looking for that goal. You need to have a strategy and plan in place. That's what we're going to need to do as a football club. We want some sustainability, that will be key in how we move forward.

Do you feel you have the energy and desire to come back and lead the team back next year?

It's not a conversation for tonight. I don't want to get involved in that. We've got three games left and my job and what I need to do is get this team, as disappointed as they are, finish this season in a way which is the right way.

After that, the discussions we have as a football club and what we need to do to improve will speak for itself and we'll work it out from there.

How do you pick the team up going into the final three games?

That's the next job. My job now, while we're all disappointed and that will carry on for the remaining three games, is to get this group of players to fight and keep going. We owe that to our fans and to the football club.

Is what happens in the summer central to whether you will stay?

We'll make them decisions together as a football club and we'll have them discussions. Any team that has gone down this year, West Brom, Sheffield United, them discussions will be happening and they happen at all good football clubs even if you win things.

At the end of a season you have honest, frank discussions and that is going to be key. We're going to have to be very honest and maybe at times very brutal in our assessment of this year and where we need to go and what we need to do. Everyone needs an opinion on that and my opinions will be given.

I've ate, slept and been amongst it the whole year so of course I have the feelings of what we need to do and we'll have them discussions.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/every-word-scott-parker-said-20568551

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan's Football Club Gets Relegated, AEW Dark Hype, More

Shahid Khan's football team has been relegated from the Premier League following their loss tonight. Fulham FC lost to Burnley 2-0 on Monday night, which resulted in their relegation. The team still has three games left but even if they win all three of those matches, they will still be relegated.

For those unaware, AEW President Tony Khan is the Vice Chairman and Director of Football Operations for the team. He is also the General Manager and Sporting Director.

AEW sent out the following tweets, hyping tomorrow night's AEW Dark broadcast:

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/shahid-khans-football-club-gets-relegated-aew-dark-hype-more

WhiteJC

Fulham relegated: Scott Parker's side lose Premier League survival bid

Promotion. Relegation. Promotion. Relegation.

There have been as many ups as downs for Fulham in the last four seasons, with the latest down being confirmed on Monday as a 2-0 defeat against Burnley saw the Cottagers relegated from the Premier League.

Boss Scott Parker, who oversaw the end of their demotion in 2019 then the promotion campaign last season, knows it is time to shake off the 'yo-yo' nature of the club.

"We need to try and get off the rollercoaster we're on," he told Sky Sports.

"But now is not the time to discuss how we do that. I feel like I know - well I do know - but now is not the time to go into great detail."

So can Fulham establish themselves in the top flight and will Parker stay around to take on the task?

'As a club we need to make good decisions'

It is the first time in Premier League history that all the relegated teams have been decided with three matches of the season remaining, with Fulham joining West Bromwich Albion and bottom-of-the table Sheffield United in dropping down a division.

However, if the three teams want some encouragement they only have to look at the top of the Championship.

Norwich City won the title this season, followed by Watford - who both dropped out of the Premier League in 2019-20 only to make an instant return.

Bournemouth could make it a clean sweep of quick top-flight recoveries as they are also in the Championship play-offs.

The three relegated clubs will each pick up at least £42m in 'parachute payments' next season, while Fulham opted for a transfer strategy last summer of signing players in their mid 20s for relatively small fees and then bolstering their squad with a number of loans.

"The parachute money does count - two of the teams that got relegated [in 2019-20] kept their squad and that's propelled them back into the Premier League," said former England midfielder Karen Carney on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Money is a big issue and it does matter. Money and buying a centre forward keeps you up."

Fulham have only won five league matches all season and have the second-worst goalscoring record with 25 goals from 35 matches.

"I would sum it up [the season] in that game [against Burnley]," added former England midfielder Parker. "In between the boxes we've had our moments and looked a good side but lacked something at either end.

"While we've had our moments, we've fallen short at this level and that's why we're relegated."

'We have failed'

Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who only scored three league goals compared to 26 in the promotion season, offered a more blunt assessment.

"We have failed this season," he said. "It was not good enough. We did not deserve to stay up.

"Overall we have finished where we deserve to be. We did not show the big character, big mentality and we cracked under the pressure.

"We tried, we fought, we worked hard but we needed more quality on the ball. We got punished today and this season."

Parker hinted the club needed to change their methods - and that could include recruiting for next season earlier than they did for this campaign.

Four games had gone and no points had been picked up before promoted Fulham made many of the signings that turned out to be key players this season.

Parker said: "At this moment I have nothing but sadness. Now and in the coming days we will have a long hard think and regroup.

"The club needs to make big decisions. We've had a relegation, a promotion and a relegation. The rollercoaster of that and the highs and lows is not something you want.

"As a football club we need to make good decisions and work out where we want to go."

Will Parker stay on?

Parker is in his first managerial position and has gained plaudits for his team's progressive style of play and results that have included away wins at Leicester City, Liverpool and Everton as well as draws at Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal.

After impressing during a spell as caretaker boss in 2019, he was originally given a two-year deal, but then signed an improved three-year contract last September to keep him with the Cottagers until the summer of 2023.

Tottenham, for whom Parker played between 2011 and 2013, are without a permanent manager and have been linked with a move for the 40-year-old.

But in the aftermath of his side's relegation, Parker gave no hint that he wanted to leave west London, saying "I've been committed since I came here - that's always been the case.

"What's key for me is we sit down, analyse and learn, are brave enough to see where we've gone wrong and not go through the same cycle.

"I'll be the first to put my point across along with all the others to bring this club back into this league and hopefully stay here."

However, Carney felt the demoralising nature of this season will take some time to recover from.

She added: "You have to have the belief and energy to go 'right I can go again'. I'm not so sure - it's how dejected is he from this?

"I'm looking at him and he's lost a battle to stay up and I'm not sure. There will be people looking at him and thinking 'with better investment could he do a better job elsewhere?' Even if no other teams come in, has he got the energy to keep going?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57066317

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic reacts to Fulham's relegation as Newcastle United stay up
Aleksandar Mitrovic reflected on Fulham's "failures" after the club was relegated from the Premier League.

A 2-0 defeat to Burnley at Craven Cottage last night confirmed the club's fate with three games left – and ensured another season of top-flight football for Newcastle United, his former club.

"It's a tough time, but we have failed today," Mitrovic told Sky Sports. "We've failed this season. It was not good enough. We didn't deserve to stay up. It was good at times, but, overall, we have finished where we deserve to be. We are really sad for the fans. For the people in the club, it's really tough.

"We felt tonight we didn't show the big character, big mentality, and we cracked under the pressure a little bit. We were not good enough. We tried, we fought, we worked hard, but we needed more quality on the ball.

"In a league like this, you get punished. We got punished today – and this season."

Fulham, promoted last season, had pushed hard earlier this year, but the club's form dipped last month.

"It's been looming, but it doesn't hide the disappointment, hurt and sadness I feel. It's inevitable now," said manager and former United midfielder Scott Parker. "I'm gutted.

"This year, at times, while we have had some big improvements and pushed on in certain elements, the facts are that we've fallen short. We've not been quite good enough."

Newcastle are 12 points above third-bottom Fulham ahead of Friday night's game against Premier League leaders Manchester City.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/aleksandar-mitrovic-reacts-to-fulhams-relegation-as-newcastle-united-stay-up-3231710

WhiteJC

Fulham outcast opens up on future plans as QPR prepare for summer transfer window

Stefan Johansen has admitted that he doesn't know where his future lies beyond the end of the season.

The midfielder is under contract with Fulham but faces an uncertain future at the club after falling out of favour under Scott Parker during the last 12 months.

The Norwegian made just two appearances for the Whites during the first half of the campaign before heading out on loan to Queens Park Rangers where he's been since January.

Since then the 30-year-old has been in wonderful form after making 21 appearances as a key player for Mark Warburton's side.

Given his performances for the Hoops it's likely that supporters would be keen to see Johansen back at the club next term, and discussing his future, the midfielder has certainly left the door open to a potential return.

Speaking to QPR's official website, Johansen said: "It was important we finished the season off with a win and a positive result which we can take into the summer.

"Obviously I don't know the situation with me yet, that's something to be decided but it's always good to have a positive end to the season which you can bring into the next one, so we will see.

"Personally, I don't know what's going to happen, I have one more year on my contract at Fulham, but without doubt I can say how much I enjoyed my time here."

The verdict

It's going to be an interesting summer for Stefan Johansen.

With Fulham suffering relegation from the Premier League it means that the midfielder could be brought back into the first team fold under Scott Parker.

But given that he's certainly fallen out of favour at Craven Cottage it would take a huge effort for him to force his way back into their plans.

Johansen was wonderful during his time with Queens Park Rangers and I'm adamant that a move to Loftus Road would be hugely appealing for a player who wants to show his quality week in, week out.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-outcast-opens-up-on-future-plans-as-qpr-prepare-for-summer-transfer-window/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker's 'dress sense' has spared him the same criticism as Newcastle boss Steve Bruce

TalkSPORT presenter Alex Crook has compared the media narratives surrounding Fulham manager Scott Parker and Newcastle head coach Steve Bruce

Scott Parker's 'dress sense' and appearance has spared him the level of criticism directed at Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce.

That's the view of talkSPORT presenter Alex Crook, who believes the Fulham manager has at times been given a 'free pass' despite overseeing two relegations in three seasons.

Newcastle's status in the Premier League is now secure following the Cottagers' home defeat to Burnley on Monday night.

Parker's side were within touching distance of overhauling the Magpies a matter of weeks ago, but a run of six defeats in their last seven matches has condemned them to relegation with three fixtures still to play.

The former United midfielder has recently been linked to the vacant post at Tottenham, but insists he remains committed to Fulham despite their relegation.

Bruce has been criticised for much of the current season following a dismal run of just two wins from 21 matches, and a number of contentious press conference responses.

However, a recent revival for the Magpies has steered the club towards survival and left them with a chance of beating last season's tally of 44 points.

Crook believes injuries have played a 'key' role in derailing Newcastle's season, and believes the 'big problem' on Tyneside will always be Mike Ashley's continued position as owner.

But in making the comparison between Bruce and Parker, the presenter questioned whether the latter's appearance had anything to do with the recent media narratives.

Crook told talkSPORT: "I think the injuries are key. You look at the number of goals Callum Wilson has been involved in, clearly they've got a much better chance of winning matches and playing exciting football as they did against Leicester.

"Saint-Maximin is the same, he's had injury problems and Covid issues, so I think there have been mitigating factors.

"It's about perceptions because Steve Bruce has had an awful lot of negative headlines. We look at Scott Parker - I like Scott, I think he is great with the media and I think he's done an okay job at Fulham.

"But the narrative seems to be will they be able to keep Scott Parker? The question should be do they want to keep Scott Parker because he has overseen two relegations in three seasons.

"The narrative was Fulham have been improving over the course of the season. They might have been improving in terms of performances, but they haven't really in terms of their results. They've been relegated comfortably with three matches to go.

"I do think there's a fine line there, and the fact Scott Parker is maybe more pleasing on the eye because he's got a better dress sense than Steve Bruce has almost given him a free pass at times.

"Ultimately the ambition of Newcastle and Mike Ashley is to stay in the Premier League. Steve Bruce has achieved that with games to spare, and the height of their ambitions can't go up all the time Ashley is in tenure.

"I still think the big problem with Newcastle is the owner as opposed to the manager. There's always going to be limitations on the man in the dugout because Ashley doesn't want to make significant investment."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-parker-steve-bruce-newcastle-20569451

WhiteJC

Tony Khan: do the right thing
Dan Cooke points the finger firmly at Tony Khan and his efforts as our Director of Football.

Well, it's finally happened. A feeling of inevitability loomed in September, followed by months of simmering hope, and now – despair. Last night relegation was signed, sealed and delivered. Like many, I've felt almost a numbness to the prospect over the past few weeks. Each weekend you go into the game thinking "If we could just get a win here...", but the wins did not come, and we eventually ran out of time.

When trying to reflect on this season, one thought stood out to me; in terms of squad morale and unity, other than our 17/18 promotion season, we've not had such strong positivity and togetherness for a very long time. So why is there still such an overwhelming amount of toxicity floating about the club?

For me, it comes from one person: Tony Khan.

His divisive tweet about being a yo-yo club sums up everything wrong with his tenure as Director of Football. When I was younger, my parents bought me a PlayStation to keep me entertained. Tony Khan has been gifted a football club and an American football team – and he's using them both like games consoles.

Unfortunately, much like my Wii when I got a PlayStation, Fulham seem to be simply gathering dust since Tony launched himself into wrestling. We get sporadic bouts of attention via cookie-cutter tweets, but it's clear to see what venture he's most passionate about.

Before looking at what he's achieved from a footballing perspective as DoF, one thing can't be refuted, and that's the toxicity his incumbency in the role has spread throughout the club and fanbase. His reactionary tweets, incessant posting about wrestling and his lack of relevant experience has turned the majority of Fulham fans against him. It severely harms the club, and our feelings are guaranteed to permeate their way down to the staff and players.

With such an ambitious squad, full of fighters, hearing your DoF say relegation isn't that bad, because the fans should be happy with being a yo-yo club is never going to have a positive effect. We aren't happy Tony. Fulham Football Club may be your plaything, but to us, it's so much more.

Short-termism Tony
One issue with Tony's apparent willingness to jump between the Championship and the Premier League is that we are never prepared for top-flight football.

Building a squad with the sole aim of getting promoted is a naïve and foolish move. This short-term approach makes the already difficult task of staying up the next season even harder. We can bemoan how late we've signed players in both our Premier League seasons with Tony as DoF, we can criticise the scattergun approach to transfers, but the root of the problem is always the season before. You have to aim to build a squad that is good enough to not only go up, but to survive once promoted.

In 2017/18, we had seven loanees and we had six last season. This turnover means that every season in the Prem, we are trying to fill at least six spots in the squad on top of the other signings required to provide us with more quality. It's no wonder that we take weeks to get going at the start of the season because half of our squad has never played with the other half.

Some of the loan signings this season have been a huge success. However, taking Joachim Andersen as an example, he will now go back to Lyon, who will be able to get a hell of a lot more money for him than before we loaned him in. One of our biggest assets has no financial value to us. All we have done is provide Lyon with an income boost and left ourselves needing to find yet another centre-back over the summer. "I can't be in the business of developing other people's players" – I'm afraid Tony, we've been doing that every season with you as a DoF.

There are just so many issues with filling a third of your squad with loan players. Yes, we have to have an eye on Financial Fair Play, but we need to break this vicious cycle. The loan system is there to plug one or two gaps, not to form the core of your squad. 

Tony Khan't hit the reset button
This squad is going to be decimated over the next couple of months. Loan players will go back to their clubs and inevitably, permanent players will be poached. We need to be smart in the transfer market and learn our lessons.

Despite promotion last season, it certainly wasn't perfect. Scott Parker was recently interviewed on the Fulham Fix. He said that he knew the squad was not capable of romping to the Championship title as some had expected. Only being good enough to finish fourth in the Championship never bodes well for the Prem. But our transfers put us in that position. We need to stop signing players who are just about good enough to get us up, but not good enough to keep us up. Anthony Knockaert is our transfer strategy personified: A loan, converted at the princely sum of £15m, only to be immediately loaned out again as he's not good enough for our top flight campaign. It might be easier said than done, but how many of our signings this summer had a positive Premier League CV? Not many.

We need a hard reset as a club. We need stability. Ultimately, I don't think that is possible with Tony Khan in charge of transfers. If someone else as DoF had the track record that Tony Khan has, they would have been ousted by now. Unfortunately, Tony seems to be blind to his failures, so I struggle to see him stepping aside. Which puts pressure on our owner – and Tony's father – Shahid Khan.

This is the final problem. The fanbase doesn't want the Khans out, they want Tony out. I firmly believe that Shahid Khan has done some fantastic things for this club, he has put money into the right places, and I find his communications are always very fair and measured. So, I hope that the feelings the fans have towards his son, don't dampen his passion for the club.

If we are to reach the levels that I'm sure Shad wants us to reach, we need a competent, experienced person in the Director of Football role. That is not his son.

So, Tony, thanks everything, but I'm afraid it's time to shake hands and say goodbye. Please, do the right thing.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-05-11-tony-khan-do-the-right-thing/

WhiteJC

The Reality of Relegation

As a result of yet another lacklustre result, the curriculum vitae of both Scott Parker and Tony Khan are now marred with the two Premier League relegations. Something must change for Fulham to build a stable project, But, what does relegation mean and how should the club prepare for yet another season in the second division?

In a previous article that analysed Fulham's financial accounts for the previous Premier League season, it was abundantly clear of the consequences of dropping into the second tier. Should these same trends reoccur, which they most likely will, here is a summary of what could happen:

Revenue streams drop by around £100 million, with a reduction in broadcast revenue of around £80 million and a halving of commercial revenues.
    Normally, decreased attendances and lower ticket prices lead to lower matchday revenue. However, the club can expect around £7 million in matchday revenues should we should begin to see supporters re-integrated into stadiums next season.
    To help plug the gap, the club will receive parachute payments of £45 million for the first season and £35 in the second in the Championship.

However, the club must avoid making a loss of more than £61 million between 2019/20 and 2021/22. Whilst the accounts have not yet been released for the 2019/20 season, the two main costs for football clubs are wage costs and amortised transfer fees. Even though we don't know the side's wage costs, Fulham's costs in 2018/19 were a whopping £92.6 million. This may have been even higher this season with the only recent sales of note being Ryan Sessegnon and Ryan Babel whilst the club has loaned multiple high earners, including Areola and Andersen.

Thus, whilst all senior players reportedly have wage reduction clauses, it is known that the Whites had by far the largest wage costs in the Championship last season, which may be a problem when considering that my calculations put the current team's amortised transfer cost at a mind-blowing total of £119.34 million over next year's three-season FFP period, prior to any further spending.

The EFL have relaxed their FFP rules to help clubs deal with the impact of the pandemic, allowing clubs to write off "COVID-19 costs" as per appendix five. This has been adjusted and defines COVID-9 costs as "lost revenues and/or exceptional costs incurred by a Club that are directly attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic and that are identified and calculated in accordance with such guidance as issued by the Board". However, the amount that Fulham could write off is unclear. UEFA have also considered tearing up their FFP regulations, although there are no concrete plans or proposals as of yet.

Therefore, to help balance the books, we may see the board shift a hoard of players. Here are some deals we may see:

Most, if not all of the loanees would leave, shifting hundreds of thousands per week off Fulham's balance sheet.
    Bettinelli, Ream, McDonald, Christie, Fabricio and S. Sessgenon all have contracts expiring at the end of 2020/21, although some may yet be extended.
    Odoi and Kebano both enter the final year of their deals, as do Hector and Mawson, who could be sold for £2 million and £4 million to make an accounting profit.
    Johansen, who QPR have outlined their intention of signing, also enters his final year, as do Le Marchand and Seri – who the club may look to shift for as little as a combined £8 million to cover the remaining amortised cost.
    If sold for more than £10 million, the club would make an accounting profit on Mitrovic, who is reportedly unlikely to stay with Parker at the helm.
    If the £25 million to Everton rumour is true, the club would make an accounting profit of over £16 million on Anguissa.
    Other players, such as Tete and Reed have also been linked with moves away after cutting their teeth in the Premier League, although.
    Any profits made would crucially claw back some of Fulham's FFP deficit, helping the club avoid punishment.

Whilst it is not certain what will happen this summer – with Parker's "This squad won't be the squad next year" comment resonating through fans' heads – many expect those such as Anguissa to leave. Some are also calling for the club to sell Mitrovic, to start afresh and bring in a player more malleable to different systems and that can adapt to the speed of Premier League football. However, this is a big risk that could leave the club without a recognised goalscorer – and one that scored 26 goals in 2019/20. Selling Johansen could also be costly as he has proved on multiple occasions that he is more than capable at Championship level, especially as he could be a ready-made in-house replacement for Lemina and Anguissa.

But, this would leave big gaps within the ageing playing squad that would need to be filled with talented players at low cost. Fulham should look towards building a solid base for a long-term project – Parker hinted to the need for a recruitment overhaul, hitting the hard reset button to allow Fulham to progress. The ex-Tottenham man may be better placed than other managers for this, as his attachment to the club should offer more sway with the board. However, with Parker linked to both the Tottenham and England U21 vacancies, there is an opportunity for a fresh start – Howe Lennon or Wagner perhaps?

Whether Scott stays or not, the board should look to promote young starlets who are impressing in the various youth squads, such as Fabio Carvalho and Mika Biereth, whilst keeping ahold of the young talent the club already possesses, such as Steven Sessegnon. This is something that Peter Rutzler of the Athletic has echoed, saying "academy talents Sylvester Jasper, Tyrese Francois, Fabio Carvalho, George Wickens, Luca Ashby-Hammond and Jerome Opoku are all likely to be involved during pre-season. It is expected that breakthrough talent Carvalho will sign a long-term contract."

These should be complemented by players in their peak years who are impressing in the English Football League, keeping costs low and building a sense of morale and togetherness – think Tottenham's policy under Pochettinho. Otherwise, the other technique is to search Europe for their more affordable talent, with the club often shopping in Belgium and France. Whilst this can bring some hidden gems, it is also more likely to turf up some who aren't quite up to scratch, such as the controversial Le Marchand and Seri deal.

Therefore, whilst we don't know for certain who Tony Khan and the recruitment department is lining up, as their policy can appear somewhat scattergun at times, here are some players that the Whites have been linked to recently:

Lyndon Dykes has scored 12 goals in 42 Championship games after transferring to QPR from Livingston for £2 million last summer. West Bromwich Albion and Burnley have also been recently linked to the Scottish striker, who is in contention for a Euros spot.
    Siriki Dembele handed Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony, with whom Tony Khan had an argument on Twitter over the details of the Ivan Toney negotiations, a transfer request in January. The 24-year-old Ivorian has scored 12 goals in 44 matches and could be available on the cheap as he enters his final year of contract. However, Celtic, who have his younger brother Karamoko Dembele on their books, have also been linked to the versatile forward.
    Chelsea Academy graduate, Ike Ugbo, has spent the season on loan at Cercle Brugge, scoring 16 goals in 33 games in the process. The 22-year-old striker, who is of Nigerian descent, is linked to a whole host of other clubs too, including Monaco and Claudio Ranieri's Sampdoria, for a deal in the region of £5 million.
    Josh Windass is an attacking midfielder, who can also play as a striker, that has scored 10 goals in 43 games for Sheffield Wednesday this season. The 27-year-old, who has also assisted 10 goals, maybe affordable given the Owl's recent relegation. He also possesses an element of versatility that is sought after by Fulham's recruitment department, so could fill in for Cairney at number 9 when injured as well as starting upfront.
    Sheffield United centre back Kean Bryan has also been linked to the Whites. The 24-year-old defender, a graduate of Manchester City's academy, has made 15 appearances for the blades so far this season, scoring one goal. Therefore, Khan could be eyeing the defender as a replacement for loanee Joachim Andersen.

Who would you like to see be brought into the squad? And, what do you think of the manager situation?

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/05/the-reality-of-relegation/

WhiteJC

The uncertain futures of Scott Parker, Aleksandar Mitrovic and another summer of Fulham transfers

Fulham were relegated for the second time in three seasons following defeat to Burnley

Once again Fulham arrive at the end of a Premier League campaign with matches remaining and Scott Parker in charge.

Like two years ago supporters are left with feeling that the overall direction is unsustainable, and while many had the optimism of Parker being appointed as a permanent fixture ahead of the final match of the season in 2019, it seems that the Cottagers' boss may find himself at another crossroads.

Relegation had felt inevitable for many but the laboured sentences and timbre of Parker's voice in his post-match press conference lacked much of the fire he usually brings. Confirmation felt a significant moment.

This is not to say Parker wants a new challenge or is on the verge of losing his job but as we approach a time where the squad will experience a great deal of turnover as loan deals come to an end - the project starts over.

The likes of Joachim Andersen and Alphonse Areola will depart the club but much of the team that earned promotion via the play-offs in 2020 remain at the club. However, most have been deemed not good enough over the last eight months and have played only a small amount of football unless they were loaned out.

Is it difficult to get those players back on side? Can they be committed to a project in which they don't get the full impact of the reward at the end?

Parker is under no illusion of how important this summer is.

He said: "The most important. The absolute most important. The decisions we make now as a football club are going to be crucial and pivotal.

"Next year is going to be another new side, another new squad and like I said, it's been disappointing this year, we need to put our hands up, get around a table and understand where we want to go as a club and what we need to do.

"It's been a bit of a rollercoaster with a relegation, a promotion, a relegation and we need to make some crucial decision to bounce back into this division. That is not going to be easy, especially when half the team are leaving. We'll hopefully make some good decisions and work out where we need to go."

A key word that featured in Monday night's press conference was 'sustainability'. Parker again noted the problematic nature of waiting for transfers at the start of the season and it will be something he will be keen to avoid with plenty of turnover planned. The 40-year-old's future may depend on the reaction he receives in summer meetings with the club's hierarchy.

The Whites boss didn't want to be drawn on whether he would still be at the helm next season but did tag on that 'the discussions we have as a football club and what we need to do to improve will speak for itself and we'll work it out from there'.

The question the board and many supporters will be wrangling over is - was the team not good enough or was Parker unable to do enough with the tools he had? Fulham's fluency in attack wasn't convincing even in the Championship but Aleksandar Mitrovic's goals helped lead them to promotion.

The starting XI often look unable to make decisions quick enough in attack, but is it because they've been overcoached so they question their decisions?

The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Many will think that Mitrovic has not been afforded enough opportunities to replicate his international form in a time where Fulham have been desperate for goals.

The Serbian forward has netted three times in 27 appearances with two of those coming in his first start of the season against Leeds United.

Fulham's best form came without the 26-year-old, though they did miss a presence up top and in truth Mitrovic did little to convince anyone he deserved more game time while in Fulham colours. Whether you blame him or the team set up, of course, is a divisive issue.

Many will question his relationship with Parker, and wonder what has happened to quell the striker's fire. With just 13 starts in the Premier League it is easy to see why Mitrovic may be unhappy with his current role.

In his post-match interview he said: "We have to finish these three games and see what is going to happen next."

A difficult dilemma for the former Newcastle United forward who has now been relegated three times from the Premier League. Is he stuck in the space of being too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League?

Both Mitrovic and Parker end the season with questions around their ability or whether circumstances outside of their control have held them back. Both have shown they can do it in the Championship. Will either be around to find success together?

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/scott-parker-aleksandar-mitrovic-fulham-20568553

WhiteJC

Key to Scott Parker's Fulham future revealed amid Tottenham interest

Fulham want Parker to stay but he is set for crunch talks ahead of mass exodus - and Tottenham are keen on bringing the former midfielder to north London

Scott Parker wants assurances from relegated Fulham in crunch talks with the board as he prepares to lose half his team.

The Cottagers went down on Monday after defeat at home to Burnley, setting a new club record for home league losses in a season with 12.

Parker has two years left on his contract and the club want him to stay and lead a new-look side in the Championship next season.

But the 40-year-old has been linked with Tottenham and admits Fulham face "big decisions" this summer, with tension rising behind the scenes.

Parker, who has yet to decide his future, said: "We need to bounce back and that won't be easy when half this team are leaving.

"We're going to have be very honest and very brutal in our assessment of this year and what we need to do. Everyone needs to have an opinion on that.

"The decisions we make now as a football club are going to be crucial and pivotal. We need to get round the table and understand where we want to go.

"Promotion and relegation. That's not successful. We need to work out how to stay there. You need to have a strategy and a plan in place.

"We need to reassess things. There is other stuff that's going to come out... We have to have some sustainability. That's going to be key in how we move forward."

Fulham expect all six of their loan signings to depart, while Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Jean Michael Seri could all be sold.

But Parker has yet to be consulted on the decision to bring in a director of scouting, and has an uneasy relationship with part-time sporting director Tony Khan.

Khan juggles his role at Fulham with commitments in the NFL and pro wrestling in the US, and the pair have often clashed.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-scott-parker-tottenham-job-24087055

WhiteJC

Fulham braced for battle to cling on to Scott Parker following their top-flight relegation with the highly-rated young manager set for pivotal talks about his future amid links to Tottenham and Bournemouth

Scott Parker impressed this season despite his Fulham side going down
    The Fulham boss will be highly sought after for vacancies in top two divisions
    He is set to have crucial talks with the club about his future after their relegation
    Parker's been linked with Tottenham and promotion hopefuls Bournemouth

Fulham are braced for a battle to keep Scott Parker for their Championship return as the club prepare for a summer shake-up.

The Cottagers' relegation from the Premier League was confirmed on Monday night following a 2-0 home loss to Burnley with Parker now set for pivotal talks with club officials.

Despite their difficult season, Parker's stock has risen, particularly for his work in implementing a clear philosophy at Craven Cottage.

Fulham's manager Scott Parker will be in demand this summer after impressing this season

Parker was unable to keep Fulham in the Premier League but has seen his stock rise

And his emergence has not gone unnoticed, with Parker expected to become a hot-property for any vacancies that arise in the top two divisions ahead of next season.

Parker has already been linked with the vacant head coach's position at Tottenham, a club he used to play for, while Bournemouth have a long-standing interest in the 40-year-old.

As it stands, the Cherries are firmly focussed on their Championship play-off semi-final against Brentford with any decision on their managerial position delayed until the end of the season.

Jonathan Woodgate was placed in caretaker charge until the end of the campaign following the departure of Jason Tindall and the managerial situation will be reviewed after the play-offs.

Asked if his talks with the will determine whether he stays, Parker said: 'We'll make those decisions together as a football club. We'll have those discussions. They happen at all football clubs.

'We're going to have be very honest and very brutal in our assessment of this year and what we need to do. Everyone needs to have an opinion on that.

'My opinion will be given. The club needs to make big decisions.'

Fulham are also set to lose a host of players, having signed seven loanees during the campaign, and start next season with what Parker described as a 'new squad.'

Tottenham are among the clubs keen on on-loan Lyon defender Joachim Andersen who was handed the captains' armband after just four appearances and has been a standout performer.

Goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, on loan from PSG, and full-back Ola Aina, on loan from Torino, have also attracted top-flight interest.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek will return to Chelsea and have a chance to make a head start on impressing Thomas Tuchel in pre-season with many of his Blues teammates set to be away at the Euros.

Mario Lemina, Ademola Lookman and Josh Maja are all due to return to their parent clubs.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is admired by West Ham manager David Moyes while one of last summer's permanent signings, Tosin Adarabioyo, could remain in the Premier League after catching the eye in his debut full top-flight season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9568431/Fulham-braced-battle-cling-Scott-Parker-following-Premier-League-relegation.html

Asotosyios

Quote from: whitejc on May 12, 2021, 01:03:19 AM
Fulham braced for battle to cling on to Scott Parker following their top-flight relegation with the highly-rated young manager set for pivotal talks about his future amid links to Tottenham and Bournemouth

Scott Parker impressed this season despite his Fulham side going down
    The Fulham boss will be highly sought after for vacancies in top two divisions
    He is set to have crucial talks with the club about his future after their relegation
    Parker's been linked with Tottenham and promotion hopefuls Bournemouth

Fulham are braced for a battle to keep Scott Parker for their Championship return as the club prepare for a summer shake-up.

The Cottagers' relegation from the Premier League was confirmed on Monday night following a 2-0 home loss to Burnley with Parker now set for pivotal talks with club officials.

Despite their difficult season, Parker's stock has risen, particularly for his work in implementing a clear philosophy at Craven Cottage.

And his emergence has not gone unnoticed, with Parker expected to become a hot-property for any vacancies that arise in the top two divisions ahead of next season.

Parker has already been linked with the vacant head coach's position at Tottenham, a club he used to play for, while Bournemouth have a long-standing interest in the 40-year-old.

As it stands, the Cherries are firmly focussed on their Championship play-off semi-final against Brentford with any decision on their managerial position delayed until the end of the season.

Jonathan Woodgate was placed in caretaker charge until the end of the campaign following the departure of Jason Tindall and the managerial situation will be reviewed after the play-offs.

Asked if his talks with the will determine whether he stays, Parker said: 'We'll make those decisions together as a football club. We'll have those discussions. They happen at all football clubs.

'We're going to have be very honest and very brutal in our assessment of this year and what we need to do. Everyone needs to have an opinion on that.

'My opinion will be given. The club needs to make big decisions.'

Fulham are also set to lose a host of players, having signed seven loanees during the campaign, and start next season with what Parker described as a 'new squad.'

Tottenham are among the clubs keen on on-loan Lyon defender Joachim Andersen who was handed the captains' armband after just four appearances and has been a standout performer.

Goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, on loan from PSG, and full-back Ola Aina, on loan from Torino, have also attracted top-flight interest.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek will return to Chelsea and have a chance to make a head start on impressing Thomas Tuchel in pre-season with many of his Blues teammates set to be away at the Euros.

Mario Lemina, Ademola Lookman and Josh Maja are all due to return to their parent clubs.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is admired by West Ham manager David Moyes while one of last summer's permanent signings, Tosin Adarabioyo, could remain in the Premier League after catching the eye in his debut full top-flight season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9568431/Fulham-braced-battle-cling-Scott-Parker-following-Premier-League-relegation.html

Anybody cares to inform us what is the clear philosophy that Parker has implemented?

St Eve

What was Tosin's reaction to the last substitution?